Mitchell clarifies comment, says more on Portis

Outgoing running backs coach Stump Mitchell had some interesting things to say about Clinton Portis yesterday. Mitchell was about halfway through an 18-hour drive to his new job at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La., when he called today. He offered another interesting Portis tidbit and also wanted to clarify one of his comments in this morning's story.

So let's start with the clarification. Saying that Portis could work harder, Mitchell said Tuesday that "...Dan has to understand that that's what has to be done. In order for the Redskins to be successful, that's what Clinton has to do." Mitchell reached out today to make clear that he intended no disrespect for Redskins owner Daniel Snyder.

"Mr. Snyder didn't interfere with us at all. He gave us all the support that he could. ...Mr. Snyder did everything he possibly could for us, as coaches, to try to turn this thing around. When he brought in Sherm Lewis, all he was trying to do was help us turn it around and try to help us save our jobs. Mr. Snyder and I, we had a good relationship. We would work out together. Now I wouldn't ask Clinton to work out with Mr. Snyder. I wouldn't ask any of those players work out with Mr. Snyder. Because he could go. He's not just a handsome man in a suit; he can work out."

Mitchell didn't backtrack on his comments about Portis, though, and recalled a conversation he had with Portis late in the season.

"I told Clinton after we put him on injured reserve, ...I said, 'Clinton, you need to get the surgery on your ankle, so you can work out, so you can run.' He said, 'Coach, I don't think I need to do that. I feel pretty good since I got that shot.' I said, 'Okay, just make sure you're able to work out next year.' "

Portis was slowed each of the past two seasons by bone spurs in both ankles, missing valuable practice time. He didn't miss any games, however, in either season because of the bone spurs.

"I don't know how long that shot is going to last," Mitchell said. "But I want to see Clinton accomplish everything he possibly can accomplish. I love him as a person. He's been nothing been nothing but respectful toward me. Clinton can carry a football team, I know that for a fact. But he's got to be in the best shape to do that."

By Rick Maese  |  January 12, 2010; 11:57 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Shanahan will call plays, but which one?
Next: Haslett apparent front-runner for Redskins defensive coordinator

Comments

"I told Clinton after we put him on injured reserve, ...I said, 'Clinton, you need to get the surgery on your ankle, so you can work out, so you can run.' He said, 'Coach, I don't think I need to do that."

Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If we're going to keep CP, Shanny needs to throw down the ultimatum.

Get in shape, lose the attitude, be ready for 275 carries this attitude.

Or you're gone, or benched.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Haha, 275 carries this SEASON.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 12, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

thorougly convinced that Portis is an idiot now...

Removing bone spurs is a relatively simple procedure and quick recovery....he could have it done now and be ready for camp...

He may think he's fine after the shot, but his production shows he's not...bone spurs in your ankles are not pleasant and can do long term damage if not removed...

again, what an idiot...

Posted by: rot8tor_man | January 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

______________________

Doesn't matter how much a player is getting paid... When it comes to medical stuff, the team has zero right to tell a player what to do.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Now I wouldn't ask Clinton to work out with Mr. Snyder. I wouldn't ask any of those players work out with Mr. Snyder. Because he could go. He's not just a handsome man in a suit; he can work out."

Is Stump saying that Danny works on his fitness more than CP? Danny should get a tan, move to the Jersey Shore, and become a guido. Danny could be the Situation.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

CP will not be on the team next year. He is just too broken down to play anymore.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I've had bone spurs in my feet, and they are painful. I had to wear shoe inserts, but that will not be a quick heal. CP needs to listen to Stump, and have that operation. Then he will be able to hold up during the season. However, I do understand him resting it during the season.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:08 PM

Moe it's CP body, so he should decide if and when it gets cut open. What disappoints me is that from the way Mitchell is retelling these event, I get the sense that CP is going to do the status quo again this off-season. If that's the case, then CP needs to be out of here.

Posted by: TWISI | January 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Clinton can carry a football team, I know that for a fact. But he's got to be in the best shape to do that."

He can't carry a team that works when he doesn't.

He also doesn't seem to get that the team unites behind Campbell as he takes the licking, but keeps on working, playing, and leading.

Somebody should tell Portis that dressing up as failed super heroes isn't better than suiting up to be a real player.

Southeast Jerome even has the sense to know that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse
Again, guys, you don't get rid of your best athletes. When we have someone better than CP, he gets cut. Not until then.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

dfbovey

that's fine. but the team has every right to cut his ass for not listening to authority.

Posted by: mopp04 | January 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

There's a mental picture we didn't need - Snyder doing squat thrusts. Who's going to spot him now that Vinny's gone?

Posted by: 4skinz | January 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

CP will be a redskins next season, and a productive one (Hopefully in tandem with chester taylor)

book it

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Southeast Jerome even has the sense to know that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse
Moe, I don't think we saw SEJerome last year. All the costumes came when the team was doing well in the first 10-12 weeks of 2008. I could be wrong, here, but I think CP had enough sense not to do that in '09.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis has every right not to get the surgery. I mean after all, its him thats going under the knife not Mitchell. Portis is a grown man, he's not Mitchell's, Zorn's or Synder's child. That being said, the Redskins should trade or cut him, whichever is best for the team.

Posted by: clark202 | January 12, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering how the Patriots were able to produce a replacement for WWelker so easily. Who is Edelman. I heard he was a QB in college. But he is quick and has good hands. Let's find someone like that in late rounds of draft. Are you listening, Morocco?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm of the opinion that the defensive needs will change if MIKE ZIMMER comes here. He may utilize the defensive players in different ways from BLACHE, so needs at DT, SSLB, CB and FS may change. Wait and see.

On offense, we must have the first two picks for offensive line, or top three if we trade down. Moving some top players may net some choices also. That means we sign CAMPBELL for two with incentives, and give him the opportunity to earn them by drafting two or more top linemen. Admit that the REDSKINS cannot be rebuilt into a championship contender in one year. Go get a q-back and RB in the later rounds, or in FA/draft next year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 12, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:26 PM |

Please you get rid of his contract now why you have the chance, Shanny's offense doesn't need a great back. What good does it do to have CP when he isn't healthy enough to play all year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

CP needs to listen to Stump, and have that operation.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:25 PM

Stump is no doctor even if stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Clinton needs to listen to his MD.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Is this the REDSKINS or the WIZARDS we're talking about. I get confused.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:33 PM

We did. Marko Mitchell. Just that Zorn wouldn't throw the ball to him.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Is this the REDSKINS or the WIZARDS we're talking about. I get confused.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 12, 2010 12:36 PM

Any reference to defecating in a shoe is strictly prohibited. Unless it’s Snyder’s size 7 florshiems.

Although, my disgust and hatred for him has cooled off for now.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"...I don't think we saw SE Jerome last year."

The point is that even an idiot has the sense to know that to be 'the guy' you have to lead by example.

Portis wants to be 'the guy' in front of the media.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Mr. Walker..

Carroll's staff will be heavy on college coaches
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2010 12:19 PM ET
In a development that is prompting some to suggest that the Pete Carroll regime in Seattle will be "Butch Davis all over again," we're told that Carroll is expected to hire New Mexico State coach DeWayne Walker to run the Seahawks' defense.

Multiple outlets identified Walker as the lead candidate for the job after Carroll was identified as the lead candidate for the job he now has.

It'll be interesting to see whether the approach will be successful. At the college level, recruiting is the key. With superior athletes, schemes don't matter as much. At the NFL level, where the talent is relatively equal, coaching takes on a much greater degree of importance.

Helping Carroll is the fact that he'll be working in a watered-down division. Still, come September, there's a chance Carroll will get a splash of cold water in his face when he realizes that there's a fundamental difference between the San Francisco 49ers and the Fresno State Bulldogs.

Posted by: TWISI | January 12, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Someone @ Redskins Park got to the Stump, and he still manage to stuble on his re-explaination...I can see the Redskins Org shaking their fist @ Stumpy riding away....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:08 PM |

You can thank the players union for this and I would have to agree. A player should have the final say on what is done to his body. There should just be an opt out of the contract if the team and player disagree on a regular basis is all. To suggest a coach should be able to control if he gets an operation is kinda silly though.

How would you like it if your boss told you that you had to get an operation?

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:42 PM

Dr. Moe also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and can now diagnose CP's concussion without even examining the guy. Lot wrong with CP, but he's never avoided a fight. If the rest of the team had taken the hit that CP took, they all would have taken the rest of the year off, on doctors' orders.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?"

Exactly, and he will lose his this year.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

i hope he carries another team

Posted by: carsonspence | January 12, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"How would you like it if your boss told you that you had to get an operation?"

That's his lively hood though and it DOES affect his job status. I mean it's not like he sits at a desk all day.

Wouldn't you want to be in the best shape possible??

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"How would you like it if your boss told you that you had to get an operation?"

Wouldn't you want to be in the best shape possible??

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 12, 2010 12:52 PM

Ray, You miss the point. Only a doctor can ADVISE you on whether you should get an operation, not your boss.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Clinton didn't take the advice of a guy without a medical background. Big deal.

In other news. Jim Zorn was meeting with Snyder for up to 2 hrs a week to break down game film. Doubt that continues with Shanny.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

ummm... JasonLaCanfora

Jim Haslett interviewed for Redskins defensive coordinator job Monday. More on NFL.com and NFL Network tonite.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | January 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mopp04 | January 12, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

___________________

Depends. If the coaching staff tells him to get surgery and he doesn't... that's not grounds for being fired. Because an employer has no right to tell you what to do in that regard.

If it's based on performance, salary cap crunching or whatever... that's fine.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 12, 2010 12:59 PM

So, you don't think Dan's advice will be as valued by Shanahan as it was by Zorn?

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

If it's based on performance, salary cap crunching or whatever... that's fine.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 1:06 PM |

This is the NFL that don't have to have any reason to cut you, they just have to pay you the rest of you guaranteed money.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Snyder's PR goon squad had nothing to do with Stump calling the Post to say, Snyder didn't interfere, he supported the coaches, yada, yada. As if that wasn't enuf, Stump sure jumped the shark by saying that Snyder's a handsome workout warrior. Pleeeeeze, spare us the bullcrappola. Take that fat goodbye check and get as far away as you can.

Posted by: chris_zz | January 12, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris_zz | January 12, 2010 1:09 PM |

Yes please do because you wern't that good to begin with.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 12, 2010 12:59 PM

Is this surprising? This stopped midseason and there is Zero chance Shanny would do this.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I am sure team doctors told Portis he should get the procedure, not just the coaches. I know it is CP's body, but the team is paying a pretty good "rental fee" for it!!

Hey Clinton, you do not know your body better than doctors!! The mere fact that you said your foot feels better after the shot points out that fact!! Of course that shot made you FEEL better, but it did not FIX the problem. Get the bone spurs removed and you won't need a shot to just FEEL better because you WILL BE BETTER.

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 12, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:33 PM
-----------------------------------------
Yeah, the Patriots are one of those teams that are not afraid to convert players from one position to another. Troy Brown, the receiver, played some defensive back. Bruschi was a defensive end that ended up playing linebacker. Rich Gannon was originally drafted by the Patriots and intended to play defensive back, but Gannon didn't want to play the position so they traded him to Minnesota.

I think the Redskins are going to have to look at more of this kind of thing. It helps to have faith in your coaching staff to help these players through the transition. I don't think we ever would have seen that out of Zorn, but Shanahan might take a few chances on players. If the guy is an elite athlete, a good team will find a use for him - even if it's just returning kicks, punts and getting the occasional carry like some guy no one ever heard of by the name of Brian Mitchell.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 12, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Alex Gibbs going to the Seahawks as new O-Line coach according to Schefter.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:55 PM
------------------------------------------
And that is just what is wrong with this country today. How often have felt that a co-worker needs a labotomy, but you know if you bring it up to the boss, there is nothing he can do? I say, tranq CP when he is not looking, drag him into the OR, fix those bone spurs, and give him a double shot of steroids as a going away present (I'm thinking cortizone is what they shot into his ankle to start with).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 12, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised. Just like I'm not surprised Clinton didn't take Stump Mitchell's medical advice.

And I hope Shanahan isn't spending any time breaking down game film with snyder.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Del Rio staying in Jacksonville.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

There have been no indications of what Mike Shanahan plans to do with the play-calling, but he holds his son in especially high regard as a coach and offensive strategist, and you can bet he studied and scrutinized every play Kyle Shanahan called last season.

By Rick Maese | January 12, 2010; 10:26 AM ET

I think they ought to let Kyle call plays for four weeks, Mike call plays for four weeks, and then Sherm Lewis calls the plays for four weeks. Snyder will then decide which guy will call the plays for the last four games and, hopefully, the playoffs. Okay, maybe not Snyder -- Bruce Allen. This seems like the fairest way to do it.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"After all, he had a concussion, reportedly couldn't see or think straight, but somehow found John Thompson's radio show--and not regular sideline attendance at practice to show support in a bad year."

"Sounds to me like a guy who took the rest of the year off not wanting to take the beating the rest of the team went through."

Posted by: MistaMoe

He was having blurred vision when moving his head. To my understanding, Portis usually calls into the JT Show -- you'd know that if you were actually in the DMV.

Just because he wasn't at practice (what else was new?) or wasn't on the sideline during games (although you fail to mention that he was there for about half of the ones he didn't play in), it doesn't mean that he doesn't have a desire to win or doesn't respects his teammates.

Wtf? The dude has a concussion. I could see if he was milking a bruised hand, or something, but this is the brain. It's serious business.

So easy to tell who has their anti biased agendas against who on this team.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

flound thanks for the updates....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

CP needs to listen to Stump, and have that operation.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 12:25 PM

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

My point was that a bone spur is not something you can play through. It is extremely painful. You just cannot put any pressure on the foot. I went from running 4-5 miles a day, to basically barely able to walk. Shots can help, and apparently CP has had them. But as he ages, this will return. A simple surgery would alleviate it.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 12, 2010 1:16 PM

MrLowery,

No one pays a "rental fee" for CP's body. They pay him to perform a service. Aside from that, the "team doctors" don't work for Clinton and their advice is not necessarily in Clinton's best interest.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

CP has a weekly spot on the JTS which he does if he's practicing or not, it is a paid gig for him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Dr. Moe also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and can now diagnose CP's concussion without even examining the guy."

You are aware that even with a concussion, you can attend practice, go to meetings, and help out the guys backing you up to show support.

That's what my doctor advised me to do after I suffered the concussion that ended my college football career.

And I wasn't making $7.5 million dollars a year.

Yet.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrlowery1

Who knows your body better than you?

The answer is: No one

The fact that you're suggesting that a doctor would know his body better than Portis, you know, who actually OWNS the body, sort of shows you haven't a clue.

I got two names for you: Thomas Jones

This guy doesn't let team trainers or doctors touch him, because he feels more comfortable with a team of therapist and doctors examining his body.

A choice HE made. Just because they pay you a nice chunk of change doesn't mean that the team's doctors are the only ones who can examine your body. Hell, you don't have to take the team doctors advice. He has that right.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
I'm not trying to belittle your injury or anything, but your revelation about the concussion does sort of explain some of your posts...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 12, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

lmao@RSH!

And I'm sure CP is getting his health advice from SoMiami, Doctor's Hosp., etc. ... not the bungling Skins' health 'experts'. I wouldn't wish our docs on the indigent.

Nice to see a little balance, Mayor. THX!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Del Rio staying in Jacksonville.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

For now...and now = at least the rest of the day.

Del Rio is owed 15 mil from JAX to coach the next two years. He cant do anything to jeopardize that, until it can get worked out. JAX would love to get out from under that, just like Bud Adams would love to get out from under Jeff Fisher's contract.

Del Rio is meeting with the owner this afternoon.

There could be a lot more to this story swirling just under the surface...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:27 PM

Every Tuesday @ 3:00. It's hoooorible. The show is typically unlistenable and his segment is the equivalent of letting Gilbert anywhere near your shoe.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Good one, RSH!

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

lmao@RSH!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM
------------------------------------------
What? I did suggest they tranq him first. It's not like that was a completely inhumane suggestion...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

NFL.com reporting Zimmer resigned with the Bengals.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

gangst..
What are you talking about?

"Good theory, that must be why he benched 22 in both of the last 2 season."
=============================

JC didnt "get it" when Al Saunders or Gibbs or Sherm Lewis were calling the plays.. His stats for the last 4 years support this and weaken your argument.

By the way, why the man crush everybody has on him???.. Is it the Stockholm syndrome? You begin to love your hostage taker? Because JC has held the Skins Offense hostage for 4 years while Snyder has continued to try and build his value to get some return on practically the whole 2005 Draft.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 12, 2010 11:58 AM

Good theory, that must be why he benched 22 in both of the last 2 season. If you need any other comments i'm over here with brownwood in reality. I can give you directions on how to get here, im sure you will need them.

Posted by: gtstang9t3 | January 12, 2010 12:45 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

For now...and now = at least the rest of the day.

Del Rio is meeting with the owner this afternoon.

There could be a lot more to this story swirling just under the surface...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM |

Thanks but I will take Mort and Schefter's word over yours.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

PFT reporting that Zimmer is staying with the Bengals.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 12, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

PFT is saying that Zimmer has agreed to stay in Cincy

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why if a guys isn't a rah-rah in your face type guy, then it's believed he's not a leader.

I don't know why if a guy is not on the sidelines when he's hurt, then it's believed he's not supportive of the team.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Pft is reporting that Mike Zimmer just re-signed with the Bengals (presumably using an offer from The Owner as leverage). The team must have been totally impressed by his defense's performance against the Jets over the past two weeks.

Posted by: dcsween | January 12, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

sucks about zimmer....was hoping they'd bring him in...

how/what is Hasletts resume as a DC??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

You bamas suck today.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 9:44 AM

This is an example of the pot calling the kettle red.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 9:49 AM

----------

I'd like to nominate this post for Post Of The Day for clever play on words in a non football related post.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 12, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

So it looks like we'll probably end up with Haslett as our DC the way things stand now.

Junkies were saying something about a wild card being Monte Kiffin. Don't see that happening though.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"So easy to tell who has their anti biased agendas against who on this team."

Yes: I do have bias.

The Yankee fan in me was biased against Carl Pavano when he faked his way to $49 million by 'pretending' to be injured for three years.

Read the quote from Mitchell: to sum up, a coach encourages a player to prepare for the next season, the player says, "No thanks."

Wow, I didn't know folks were so for a star player preferring the star treatment.

We're not saying a hurt Portis should have played.

We are saying that you show leadership by doing the things that set the right tone.

And preparation and practice are the bedrocks of that tone.

I'd rather be on the side of the players on the team who have had enough of guy not showing the heart, discipline, and drive it takes to bring the franchise back to prominence.

If that's 'bias,' well, I guess I am.

BTW: Portis is the one who showed his bias against Campbell by saying he wasn't a leader on a radio show.

And let's not forget that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

NFL.com reporting Zimmer resigned with the Bengals.

Posted by: Flounder21

I think someone called that a few days back.... said they were in negotiations or whatever...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Before he retired, my dad was as a podiatric surgeon. Bone spur surgery is not that big of a deal recover-wise, but sometimes spurs do just go away.

Something tells me Stump Mitchell's return call was prompted not by Clinton, but by the Front Office who asked Mitchell whether he ever wanted to work in the NFL again, and then asking him to repeat what he said about "Dan" the might otherwise have suggested meddling by The Owner into Portis' offseason routine (i.e., " ... and while you're at it, say he works out too!").

Posted by: dcsween | January 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

He should've had the spurs removed during his first day on IR... Of course, it would have also removed another CP26 excuse, alibi or lie for his repeated and continuing failure to get into condition, practice and partipate with the rest of the team in anything that might be remotely considered as working for his exorbitant paycheck.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 12, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

For now...and now = at least the rest of the day.

Del Rio is meeting with the owner this afternoon.

There could be a lot more to this story swirling just under the surface...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 12, 2010 1:32 PM |

Thanks but I will take Mort and Schefter's word over yours.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Great. I'm basing my comments on a) Del Rio's live comments and b) Schefter's live report on ESPNews I viewed 3 minutes before my post.

I'm not attacking you or your report. I'm saying that it has not played all the way out yet.

And even more late news: USC is talking to marriucci about the job per a crawl on ESPNews crediting nfl.com.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 12, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

We all know that CP is SOFT!!!!! He doesn't want to work...neither do I...He whines to the coaches about his teammates...He Whines to the owner about the coaches...He talks negatively about his teammates to the media... He is not a guy you can win with!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | January 12, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Moe, do you think that Portis' concern maybe that if he gets surgery on his ankles it could have a long term effect?

You probably don't even care since you probably wouldn't even bother to piss on his house if it were burning down.

Last time I checked Stump was the former 'Skins RB coach, not a doctor.

You don't have to be a leader on a football team to be productive and still have the respect of your teammates. Everybody isn't a "follow me" type dude.

And Portis didn't call out Campbell. He questioned why a guy who looks like he just popped a xanax half the time would be selected as team captain. Besides, I suggest you actually listen to the interview, and not some transcript that Jason Reid of all people provided.

There was nothing in his tone of voice that suggested that he was "calling Campbell out".

Dial back the "F Portis, I hope he chokes" shtick for a minute or two.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 12, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

CP this CP that, even if 75% of the negative things being said were not true, there is still plenty of reasons why this guy is just part of the problem not the solution. This IS WHY THIS GAME IS REFERRED TO AS THE ULTIMATE TEAM SPORT. Doesn't have anything to give to this organization except his absence. He's already been abscent in BRAZIL.

Posted by: sthai75 | January 12, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS POCKETS STRAIT!

Posted by: rlomax67 | January 12, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

You pay a guy serious money and he can tell you what he will and won't do.

How do I get this job?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 12, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

______________________

Posted by: dfbovey | January 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That is simply not true. You are paid to play and if your insubordination (I.E not practicing because your ankles are sore)in dealing with your health issues are keeping from doing what you are paid to do then ought to be able to not pay him or have some other recourse.
They can't make him have surgery and he knows that because he has a guaranteed contract. Snyder is a moron for giving a bigger moron that kid of money.
The deal to bring Portis into DC and then replacing his contract, and then restructuring his contract is beyond crazy. He must go, and they should announce today that on March 1st he will cut.

Posted by: timchadwick | January 12, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

CP gets paid no matter what he does next year. I'd cut him and move on as there is no cap hit next year(it would just cost about 20 mil), or keep him and make him ride the pine until he got in shape and showed up for practice every day. Maybe seeing his name at number three on the depth chart would motivate him. But definitely get rid of him before 2011 season. He has already lost a step.

Posted by: Eradicator | January 12, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

No, Mr. Mitchell. Your beer between your knees fueled comments made as drove down 81 while fiddling with your Garmin nuvi are your real feelings. Too late to be worried about the Dan $nyder contract buyout.

Posted by: peauxsucent | January 12, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse