Mitchell Takes Relaxed Approach to NFL

Marko Mitchell is spending his time at Redskins training camp looking forward, trying to lock down a roster spot and elbow his way into a crowded wide receiver picture.

But that didn't stop him last week from lamenting his college team's inability to play beat Colt Brennan's Hawaii Warriors, a Western Athletic Conference rival.

"They won at the end of the game all the time," said Mitchell, who played at Nevada. "It was always a last-second field goal, so I always joke on him a bit about that."

Brennan, now a second-year back-up quarterback for the Redskins, carried Hawaii to two close wins -- 28-26 in 2007 and 41-34 the year before -- over Mitchell's Wolf Pack.
"It's fun having another WAC guy out there out here," Brennan said. "Obviously, we laugh about some of the big games we played against each other."

Just four players in camp this summer hail from the WAC. Chris Cooley played at Utah State and rookie fullback Eddie Williams was drafted out of Idaho this spring.

"We have some fun with it," Brennan said, "because there's aren't too many guys on the WAC from this team."

Mitchell is in competition for the battle for the fifth and final receiver position. Santana Moss, Devin Thomas, Antwaan Randle El and Malcolm Kelly are locks, leaving five players battling for the final position. But Mitchell said he has tried to bury that in the back of his mind.

"You can't be nervous, or excited, or whatever," he said. "You just gotta go out there and play. And leave that up to those at the front desk."

So Mitchell has focused on adjusting to the speed of the NFL, and learning 75 new plays each week.

"It's just rapid-fire," he said. "At college they normally explain things, but here they give it to you that day, you go out there the next morning, and you just go from there."

Brennan said Mitchell, whose 1,141 receiving yards in 2008 were the second most in the conference, has adjusted well and is "getting better every day."

"The only thing I can do is continue making plays," Mitchell said.

By Bill Oram  |  August 12, 2009; 3:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander Waits for Role on Offense
Next: Steinberg, on Haynesworth, Hall...and Much More

Comments

CMB is all we got. Am I my brother's keeper?

New Jack City

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 2:19 PM

I still say that today, randomly while walking or talking to friends, and often forget where I get it from...lol....

Posted by: 4thFloor

LMAO 4TH. Look G Money we can't go back because I am on the run but I know how we can make this right. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 3:01 PM

Posted by: jm220 | August 12, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Vinny just needs to remember noone's draft rules for the NFL

#1 - Every year in an eary round (rounds 1, 2 or 3) draft at least 1 OL or 1 DL.

#2 - Never draft a WR or DL as an impact player (RB, LB or CB are OK)

#3 - Don't trade away early round draft picks on veteran players

#4 - Don't be afraid to draft a strength position. You may be able to trade a veteran player for more picks.

#5 - Value the intangibiles: smarts, character, maturity

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 12, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 12, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Game over Man! Game Ov-er! What the SJK are we gonna do now?!??"

Bill PAxton - Aliens

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Based on Zorn's recent praise of DJ Hackett, I have a hard time seeing Mitchell winning the fifth WR spot. Hackett is older, but he knows Zorn's system. The other oddity is that the 4 & 5 spots are typically returners. If ARE moves to the slot, he'll have more opportunities to return punts, but the writing is on the wall that they want new blood there (i.e., Alridge or Dorsey).

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that either Hackett or Kelly have the explosiveness at punt return either. It's an interesting decision Zorn will have to make during roster cuts.

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I could see Mitchell making the team, given his status as a draft choice, and DJ having been here twice before, and not latching on anywhere else.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Highlights of the twats:

•Russ_Kessler: @johnclayiv Your right. However, I am trying to talk my wife into letting me take her to Porcini’s for her birthday.

•@sportspickle: Rival Coaches Telling Recruits That Rick Pitino Might Abort Them

•CyberHodge: Porcini’s Restaurant must serve some seriously great oysters.

•bobcatbaseball: Rick Pitino has wild sex at resturant in 2003. Never saw Fatal Attraction - abortion, extortion,

•KADLAC: In twenty years, do you think sports will soon include an NC17 rating?

•LordMacken: Isn’t it strange that Pitino’s employee winds up marrying his one night stand? How do you face your boss everyday with that?

•AaronSAment: Is ready for another family outing to Porcini’s when I get home:

•@pourmecoffee: Don’t order the special at Porcini restaurant in Louisville no matter how good it seems at the time.

•briansmith31681: Trying to figure out if having sex with a stranger in Porcini’s is worse than paying that women 3 grand later to abort your love child

•joshcohron: I’m supposed to meet Rick Pitino for dinner tonight at Porcini in Louisville. Should I be worried?

•@RickMaese: It would make my day if Tim Tebow would counsel Rick Pitino.

•jeffvalois: This whole Pitino thing sounds like a bad Lifetime movie. Hilarious that Pitino’s friend marries her 6mo after he pays for the abortion. Ugh

•gbullard: I’m clearly 5 years old, because I laughed at the CJ’s choice of a top-fold story opposite Pitino on the web: “Juicy Tomatoes”

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I would consider cutting Kelly or Thomas and send a message if they don't get on the field and produce this pre-season, but that is just me.

Posted by: BarackObama | August 12, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

F DJ Hackett. We're talkin Marko Freakin' Mitchell man! www.markomitchell.com

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 12, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"The real issue is we've severely under drafted along the lines. I looked at rounds 1-5 over the past several yers and all the top teams (jints, Colts, Pats and Steelers) averaged about 1/3 of their picks along the lines. The Skins were about 10%.
Posted by: zcezcest1"

I've probably said this before, but wouldn't you need to:

1) take a look at their free agent signings and trades -- if they're signing vets to fill their needs, why would they also draft at those positions?

2) look at a longer sample than a few years, to eliminate the possibility that they had young vets at those positions? For instance, once you draft Jansen and Samuels, you lessen your need to use high picks at those positions for years.

Posted by: Samson151

8 years and 160+ picks is a pretty big sample. And those 4 teams (Steelers, jints, Colts and Pats) have been really good over a lot of years.

Can there be some biases as you describe? Sure. But we're talking 8 years, not 3. And 4 teams, not 1. I'm comfortable looking at that size composite and believing it.

As for free agents (and trades), that is an issue ... and a complicated one at that. I see FA and trades as investments in "now", compared to draft picks which are investments in '2 years from now'.

Because FA/trades are 'now', they typically result in a big improvement in some area. We had a good rotation at DT, but Albert is a huge upgrade. We had good CBs in 2008, but Springs was missing time due to injury, so Hall is a fit. We had no long term solution at RG with Kendall, so Dockery is a fit.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

doing some lurking merton today, you all are a trip with these movie quotes...

Bill Paxton in Aliens was so damn funny:

when they're trying to figure out what to do after the rescue plane crashes, after he utters that "Game over" line, he didn't stop there:

Hudson (Bill Paxton): "I say we just bug out and call it even. What are we debating this for?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ripley: "I say we just take off and nuke the entire site from orbit."

Hudson: F*****' A!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hudson: "Why don't you put her in charge?"
---------------------------------------------------------------

Later In the movie:

Ripley: "They cut the power."

Hudson: "Cut the power? Whadda you mean they cut the power!?! They're animals!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The WR choice is going to be tough. ARE and Moss are locks, which leaves 3 slots.

I have no idea what Mitchell brings. Hackett has played at this level and done OK. And OK is works for me.

Kelly and Thomas haven't shown much, which would make them vulnerable except for Vinny's ego.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mitchell on the developmental roster, especially given the injury history of those above him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

With the history of injury to 12 and 11 I could see the team keeping 6 WR's

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

another great scene -- the night vision attack scene from Patriot Games. "That's a kill" ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh and how can you mention New Jack City without mentioning "Rock-A-Bye-Baby"?

G Money: "Rasta Man, Nino Brown has told me to inform you that your services are no longer needed in the community."

Rasta Man: "Who the bombaclot..."

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Etymology of SJK is - an early poster, I believe named Jack advised that his kids read the blog and he didn't like them seeing cursing - so instead of a choice word - SJK was used - meaning "Sorry Jack's Kids"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

My thanks to John D. Not understanding SJK has been troubling me for at least the last 1 1/2 years.

Posted by: Bx2Bmore | August 12, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Paxton,
one of two people who gets capped by a Alien, Predator and Terminator.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

scenes

The sex therapists in the much maligned "I Will, I Will For Now" trying to get uptight Diane Keaton to say the 'f' word.

The 200 year old VW Bug -- which starts up on the first attempt in Sleeper

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Paxton,
one of two people who gets capped by a Alien, Predator and Terminator.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 3:47 PM

Would Lance Henriksen be the other?

Posted by: torqued21 | August 12, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

This is probably weak for the list, but I still love the scene from the first Indiana Jones movie where Harrison Ford is confronted by a turban wearing guy with a huge sword who does all sorts of ariel gymnastics with the sword - the audience thinks "Oh Indy's gonna get it now" and he stares for a couple seconds at the guy and then says "Oh "*#!)" and pulls out a gun and shoots they guy

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Best movie line: Fight Club Ed Norton and Brad Pitt on the airplane and Brad Pitt gets up and says: "should I give you the a** or the crotch"

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 12, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

He would

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

John D,
You know the fun story behind that scene?

There was supposed to be a major action sequence there, a fight. But Ford was exhausted and they decided to just do a quick cop out. Turns into a classic movement.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 12, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Paxton,
one of two people who gets capped by a Alien, Predator and Terminator.

Posted by: alex35332

that's some great jibba jabba .. who's the other?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 12, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Which came 1st? Alien or Aliens?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

damn, alex and torqued21, y'all are on it!

good stuff right there!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Alien was first.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 12, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Point is that FA/trades should impact draft selection, but since they address different things from a timing perspective, I don't think the 'long term' impact is that great.
Posted by: zcezcest1"

That just seems to involve waaay too many assumptions, IMO. And assumptions that ordinarily would require some testing. What's the point of doing the analysis if you haven't bothered to validate the underlying assumptions?

Oh well. Next topic.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't hear much about Eloi or Shelton. Sounds like the field has narrowed to Hagans, Mitchell, and Hackett. Zorn referred to Hackett as "deceptively fast" which could be construed as "perceptibly slow". I think the latter is the right assessment. I wish the team would trade ARE and keep both Hagans and Mitchell. Then, sign Eloi to the developmental roster. Heck, a guy that can jump like him should be converted to defensive back...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 12, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Utah State in the Big Sky Conference? Or did they change.

Posted by: FITS | August 12, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse