Mix Has Broken Rib

Anthony Mix was the only new injury concern to arise from Saturday's 17-14 preseason win over Buffalo, with the reserve receiver breaking a rib that will cause him to miss at least one week.

Coach Jim Zorn expects several other players to return for Saturday's game against Brett Favre and the New York, with safety LaRon Landry (hamstring) and receiver Devin Thomas (hamstring) among them.

Rookie safety Chris Horton, who missed the game with a colon infection, will be re-evaluated this week, as will return specialist/running back Rock Cartwright, who has a rib injury. Landry and Thomas are scheduled to return to full practice this week and could face the Jets. Thomas was Washington's first pick in April's draft (taken in the second round), but has not been on the field since the first week of camp.

"I'm anxious to have him learn what it is to play at this speed," Zorn said.

Others who are coming off of recent surgery remain weeks away from playing, with rookie receiver Malcolm Kelly (knee) scheduled to begin light jogging this week after his 'scope last month, Zorn said.

Linebacker H.B. Blades (knee), and end Erasmus James (knee) do not have a firm timetable for their return, Zorn said, although both are projected to play before the start of the regular season. Tackles Stephon Heyer (knee) and Todd Wade (high ankle sprain) are slated to miss at least another week.

Corner Carlos Rogers and linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who are both coming off of season-ending surgery, are progressing well in practice but will not play for at least two more weeks, Zorn said. "We have to be careful," Zorn said. -- Jason La Canfora

By Cindy Boren  |  August 10, 2008; 2:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mason's Grade, the Secondary and Favre Fever
Next: James Activated; Huntley Released

Comments

No worse than first?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Chia. Just you and me blogging up here now, with an occasional intervetion from Cindy.

If you're going to go for first, do it with more confidence than "No worse than first?" No one in China's getting the gold medal with that attitude.

You need a fresh cup of coffee. Get some caffeine into your backbone.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

My clayfelt condolences to Mix Master Mix.

MacMullit it is...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Mix may be on the practice squad one more year if he is eligible. Tough break if McMullen beats him out of a spot because of injuries.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 10, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Mull It,

I can't be seen blogging in this room with you here alone. People may get the wrong impression. Plus, it's awkward.

I'll be over here in the corner with the other potted house plants.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"the New York..."

"the Iraq..."

"the United..."

"the PDX..."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 10, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

plus, everyone knows it's "the New Jersey..."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"We have to be careful," Zen said.

woooosh, woooosh, woooosh

[sound of waves crashing on a beach]

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Nice game last night. Thought that McMullen is playing himself onto a spot w/the Skins. With this injury, it's almost assured.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 10, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Zorn on running back Marcus Mason’s fumble on the opening kickoff:
“I think it is a major issue not only with us, but with him. To put the ball back in their hands at the beginning of the game, you can see how important it is to have a fast start. We got the toss and we were looking to put our offense on the field. To have to play defense, that was a difficult task. That is something we have to address with him, yet he made up for it by having another outstanding outing. He did well.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 10, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Rookie mistake and he did make up for it. But if the Skins do not keep 4 RBs, those types of mistake will not help him take Rock's position.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 10, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

No way Mason Jar takes Rock's spot.

Just no way...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

how does mix go from x-rays negative to a broken rib? maybe it's time to invest in a new x-ray machine for fedex. and a new jumbotron.

Posted by: JC | August 10, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Broken rib won't always show up on an x-ray.

Posted by: Chia Pet MD | August 10, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

No way Mason Jar takes Rock's spot.

Just no way...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:14 PM

This is probably true. But this is exactly what we want in training camp -- a few young guys to play so well that they push old guys off the team. It happened last year on the D, and we were sorry to see the old vets go, but this is why we draft and bring in free agents -- to get younger and better.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Did someone put a hat on the ball Mason fumbled, or did his brain simply send a message to his hands to let go?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Mason was sandwiched between to defenders, but no excuse to fumble.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that McMullen, if he has another strong showing against the Favrets should be given a chance at #3 in the next game. Let's see if he's a 'star' or only shows well against second stringers.

I don't care what anyone says go watch Alexander Artemev's shmommel shmorse routine from yesterday. It is an impressive piece of athleticism especially given his 2 days of heads up that he was competing in biggest sporting event in the world minus the World Cup.

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the man with many handles. I did expect one of our young WRs to push Thrash off the team this year. Does not speak good for those youngsters that they could not get it done!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Mull it - I have been positing to this blog since day one, so no need for the condescending attitude. You can bash Vinny for the D-Line, but we have JT, AC, Montgomery, Griffin, Golston, and a couple of other situational guys. What do we have as CBs? Smoot, Springs, and??? That is a major problem in nickel situations and something that was brought up several times on this blog. Next time, bring a less "simple" response.

Posted by: BT | August 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey sfSKIN I agree on that pommel routine, amazing!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Jasno's point on the o-line is true - our JV did a really good job last night.

Is it me or does ZoJo just say everything that is on his mind? I *heart* it. Refreshing change from tight lips Gibbs.

[So just watched great women's beach v-ball match GRE v. CHN. Now watching trap shooting - wouldn't you think gun nut America would be really good in the shooting sports? I think the NRA should get on this.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Calm yourself, BT; Quite certain Mull It was just joshin' ya.

That wasn't funny, sf, cL; You both need to stop it.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Chia - I honored LaCyn's request as far as the words that were banned.

[Seriously the Italians look to win medals in shooting and we're like no where. I can understand our weakness in say badminton but firing guns? C'mon USA get on it.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Chia, dont be such a h8tr, jeesh, we dig our olympics whats your deal....ignore it than....

My Bro was was gymnast his whole youth, lead VA to 3rd in HS nationals....so I dig it....

you need to stop being offended by it...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

No live targets is the problem, clearly.

Cease and desist all Olympics talk on the blog, please...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Fine, cL, talk amongst yourselves.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

what are you the blog police?....ignore it....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Come on, cL.

I am joking! Geeeeesh!

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Chia - I try to stay fubol oriented and []'ing my non-fubol comments. I can't help it. I'm a nut about stuff like this and RI is one of the few places there are other nuts who will share my joy/nutiness with me not just about Skins but other stuff.

[Just watched an effin 'Shoot Off' and it was way exciting. I need help.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Guys on the bubble I want to see make it. McMullen, Yoder, Mason, Geisinger, Crummey, Horton and Moore.

I know we are thin at CB, but I won't be surprised if Tryon gets cut. He just looks terrible in coverage.

Posted by: cdubb | August 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

fine...hysterical....just doesnt seem that funny to be told to shut up repeatedly...

but I will try to refrain....

@sfskin...I feel ya!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

c-dub, I don't see how Tyron makes the team....Hot Wheels has outplayed him by far...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Golly, sf and cL

Honestly, I was just joking. I know, hard to tell the difference.

Go USA! Sis Boom Rah!

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

To pontificate for another moment . . .

I think I love stuff like the Olympics because I just love watching pure competition and sport just like I love playing even when I'm not very good.

Like in a football game I obviously love when there is a score (ours in particular) but the joy at seeing an open field tackle or an RB juking and LB is just as great. Or seeing a guy like Mason who is playing his guts out to try and make the team. How does he repsond to the fumble? Can he find the hole in the line?

That's why soccer is so fun - you're watching a real 'match' of wits and strength and endurance.

blah blah blah . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Has Tryon done anything to stand out? I feel like all I see is him getting shown up.

Has he made an impression in practice?

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I was just happy to see that Nicole Cooke get Britain's Olympic campaign off to a strong start.

She truly defied some treacherous conditions to win that gold.

What a thrilling finish!

;-)

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

That's the spirit Chia! : )

[Water polo players are waaay strong and athletic. . .which is good because you need something to defend against the fact that your uniform is a speedo and a funny cap with ear muffs.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

++++I'm saying that is a minor break for Mix but a major break for MacMull It. Dude's just made the team. Too bad for Mix.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 2:54 PM+++++

SNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFF

What's that smell? Oh yeah, a season-ending rib injury for Mix if McMull ahs a good game V. Jets. Don't want to lose him, but can't have both on active squad. with uncutables kelly and Thomas

Posted by: Corkczar | August 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

Looking at the schedule of events and I notice that BMX is now an Olympic sport?

As for Water Polo, treading water is hard enough, without having to do all that other stuff with a ball and someone in your face playing aggressive defense.

Kudos!

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BT | August 10, 2008 3:37 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I am truly sorry to have offended you. Mull It never means to offend. I can assure you it will not happen again. I have added your handle to the list of people I should not respond to.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I love Thrash and what he has contributed to the team over the last several years (in both stints with us), but I think the time has come to go with youth. If you are good on special teams, but marginal on offense or defense, you are expendable. And I think that we have enough young, hungry players who could excel at special teams that we should be able to replace Thrash with either McMullen, Mix, or perhaps someone who will be cut in a week or two.

Also, Thrash really blew that fade route last night. He ran straight out of bounds. So much for veteran experience at wideout, eh?

Posted by: Carl | August 10, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The Dara Torres story is also a compelling one.

We haven't seen a comeback like this since Nancy Hogshead in the '84 Games:

"I think Dara has done a service to all of sports," Hogshead said. "She's taken the best of what academic knowledge exists on technique, recovery and nutrition and applied it to herself." She added that ,"She deserves credit for staying in an inquiry that the rest of us left."

Sounds like Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly could learn a thing or two from Dara Torres.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy water polo, but no one talks about how tough it is on the horses.

Posted by: Cindy | August 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy water polo, but no one talks about how tough it is on the horses.

Posted by: Cindy | August 10, 2008 4:34 PM

Right, and it take so many of them to keep a rider afloat! Even the largest is barely 12 inches from nose to tail. I'm surprise animal activists let this go on.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on the mistreatment of horses in water polo and how no one talks about it; all very hush hush.

Also, it's amazing that George Hincapie is competing in his fifth Olympics and has raced in the Tour de France 13 times.

"It doesn't compare to the Tour de France in terms of suffering," he said. "But it's still very important. To go to an Olympic Games and represent your country is, in a way, bigger than going to the Tour de France."

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Chia for going with the olympic flow. That's a complete 180 turn in less than four posts. Incredible flexibility for an immobile clay figurine.

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention what happened to the young American Boxer, Gary Russell Jr., before weigh in:

"When Russell could not perspire after removing his sauna jacket, he sought out the USA boxing coach Robert Martin to punch gloves. He was still unable to sweat, and Russell returned to his room, rested for a few minutes, then fainted when he stood up."

Dr. Donald Dengel, an exercise physiologist, said that the only way to drop weight in a short span was by losing fluids, with methods including taking diuretics to sitting in a sauna to exercising while wearing heavy clothing, like sweatsuits. parkas, or plastic suits.

It's considered a risky practice, but is commonplace among boxers and wrestlers.

"The kid knows pretty well if he doesn't make weight, he may never get this chance again. A good performance here and you can parlay that into money and a professional career. It's tough for any kid."

-New York Times

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Has he made an impression in practice?

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 4:02 PM

Posted by: | August 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Has CHRis LarrY sent his get well hugs and kisses to Mix yet? The broken rib should crash your Mix pitched tent, eh.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

yep, would knock the brakes of them tricks. hott shti.

Posted by: | August 10, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

You guys don't worry about the horses they found a much better replacement:

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

They don't make ads like this anymore. And I don't believe they advertise these in 'main stream' magazines anymore do they?

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Okay here is an awesome website for those of you who were/are comic book fans and particularly of the hilarious ads they used to have.

Ah the internets so happy the googles and the glass tubes are out there.

Posted by: sfskin | August 10, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"Just add air!"
classique.

Posted by: Cindy | August 10, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

OMG!

Sea Monkeys?

I have me some serious competition out there; never imagined such a thing...holy cacao!

Surely, the price on these sea monkeys has gone up since that ad was published?? Who can make a profit on $1.25?

Are they sill available?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Only a 50% rush service fee?

Unheard of!

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I think Mix hangs around because he is a better special teams player than McMullen. Mix is also 6'5, 240 pounds and runs like a deer.

McMullen has no real advantages to speak of besides being healthy right now. Surely the Redskins coaches are smart enough to realize that.

Posted by: John McSame | August 10, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, we've had two games thus far.
Enjoying reading posts from chrisLarry, sf fan, the new guy mullet, and always Nate as well.

Here goes:
Tryon has talked a bigger game than he has played. This kid does not look good or even aggressive to me.

Colt?
I'd love to think we struck gold, but for now, I keep seeing images of the Georgia Bulldogs toying w/ him, making him look silly. So, I'm holding off getting too excited.

Liked S Horton, LT Rinehardt, WR Mix and McMullen, RB Mason.

WR Thomas and Kelley are major disappointments. These guys aren't even in shape to help on special teams!!

Coach Z?
Spurrier looked awfully good in pre-season and was never short on words either.
Don't knock Gibbs, for his boring, cautious w/ words, 3 SB championships approach.

Let's wait it out and don't get giddy friends.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Coach Zen is no Steve Spurrier; not even close. Both rookie NFL coaches, but the similarities end there. Believe it.

Also, tough to top Gibbs, with four out of the five Redskins Super Bowl appearances. Almost unfair to Coach Zen to bring him into that conversation, at this point.

Forgive my irrational exhuberance, or giddiness, as it were, but...

I *heart* Jim Zen.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia,
Yes, I can see how you might think I'm saying Z is Spurrier. I'm really not.
What I am saying is Pre-season wins, scoring, openness w/ press mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Thanks for forcing me to state more clearly my caution I was trying to express.

I do recall vividly Gibbs being so vanilla in preseason play calling, showing absolutely nothing. All he cared about was winning in the regular season.

Believe me, I hope the best for Z and our Skins.

Tough division; we shall see!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ray,

Cool.

I know you've been around a while, seen a lot of football, so I trust your judgment. My initial read on Jim Zen is, well... you know, pretty favorable.

Spurrier is a whole different animal, but alas, I do remember him lighting it up in the preseason, which should cause us all to be ever so cautious in our optimism.

We should also remember that Coach Zen has inherited a Joe Gibbs team, for the most part. Could be a case of right time, right place for Zen, much like it was for Gruden when he took over for Dungy in Tampa Bay?

How long will it be before we can say Super Bowl champion and Jim Zen in the same sentence?

Surely, not this year?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is definitely no Coach Gibbs. But realistically, Gibbs 2.0 was also no Coach Gibbs. The two playoff trips in Gibbs 2.0 were due to the D, not the O.

Just Sayin...

Posted by: donj1963 | August 10, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, this years team is almost the same as last years, when we were knocking on the door to a 12th NFC Championship game.

A more seasoned Jason Campbell with Zen calling the plays on offense, and a tandem of play makers rushing from the DE position, could reap immediate rewards.

Just sayin'

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

The greater depth on the O Line can only help as well.

Apparently, that second unit is playing awfully well already.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia,
Good observation; the 2007 team was much better than the 2006 team.
Jason choked alot last year, and Todd Collins was splendid down the stretch.

Hopeful Jason's experience last year will bring benefits this year.

Hey donj1963,
Yes, I'll agree Gibbs 2.0 was certainly not 1.0.
That is until the murder of Sean Taylor.
That is when Joe Gibbs led so well, bringing this team together.

It does seem Vinny is doing his job better now as well. this will reap future dividends.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

On the Andre Carter / Jason Taylor tandem:

Coaches expect to move both Taylor and Carter around and create mismatches during the course of games.

"If you just keep [Taylor and Carter] on one side, then [offensive coordinators] have a plan," Zen said. "You can slide the line one way. But then you flip it, it's very difficult for the quarterback to change the protection."

Sacks, hurries, forced throws, discombobulated quarterbacks: All good things.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia,
Yes, I too am encouraged by the OL
No question it is a much older bunch and they've been beaten up, so if we can have two new OL, that can really play that would be great wouldn't it?

Last year, well, I think what I feel we were was a frustrated team at 5-7, frustrated at Jason throwing INT in 4th quarters, Skins blowing games vs. Philly, DAllas, TB, and Buffalo in 4 consecutive weeks.

Sean Taylor was murdered, this team rallied around Joe Gibbs and Todd Collins.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll answer my own dumb question:

No, it is NOT possible Cerrato knew Jason Taylor would be available all along and that Daniels would be lost in preseason, prompting the late acquisition.

Dumb luck there. No offense to Daniels...

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

So, ray, you're saying that last years run into the playoffs should not give us reason to be optimistic about our chances out of the gate this year?

Personally, I feel like sicwidit does, that Gibbs may have stunted JC's growth; and the conservative play calling doomed him further, not to mention one dislocated knee cap, plus the hodge podge O line.

As a JC skeptic, I'm actually scaring myself right now.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia,
I actually doubt it.
I think they were that frustrated w/ WR play:
Moss, always being hurt,
ARE hurt or not getting open
Thrash never doing more than special teams
No strong, big target in the red zone

You think that is a possibility?

It's disappointing to me that Kelley and Thomas aren't in shape to contribute anything; not even special teams at this point.

You think Mix beats out Thrash?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Chia,

Agreed, looks like we may have some young OL that can be ready for some fill in this year if needed. Nice to see something at center especially.

And yes, luck and quick move by Vinny got us what should be a big upgrade at DE rushing the ball. Like the thought of how Zorn/Blache will be moving them around to create confusion and matchup problems.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 10, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

No way Mix beats out Thrash. Absolutely not. Toss up between McMullen and Mix, but with the injury, Mix is on the outside looking in.

As for Thomas and Kelly, that they could not pass the conditioning drill, one word:

Shameful...but then again, they're babies.

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

RR1, can't agree more regarding Gibbs leadership after the tradegy with 21 (rip). Coaching as well since they opened up the playbook when JC went down.

At the same time as TC started, it seemed like all of our injuries healed up and there was a much better team for TC to lead than what JC had. Without injuries, I think that the Skins will be a better offensive team this year.

Zorn will be more agressive in the play calling and the D will not have to play as many downs which will lead to them being fresher in the 4th qtr.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 10, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, I do not feel that Zorn is showing all of his play book (heck, it may not even be completed at this time), but at the same time, as this O is learning their new offense, they do have to play more than maybe next year's team would need to show.

Posted by: donj1963 | August 10, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Love this quote:

Rookie Redskins coach Jim Zorn has found a way to win the confidence of his players. He predicted days in advance the plays that would succeed in both of Washington's preseason victories.

"Coach Z pretty much called out the plays that were going to be the plays that stand out in the game," running back Clinton Portis said. "That's two weeks in a row. When you get that belief and that excitement, it's good to see."

----------------

Get the players to believe in you and what you are doing and they are going to play with confidence and play their hears out for you.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 10, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chia,

Did Gibbs stunt JC?
I realize people say so.
But what I recall is the games Gibbs let JC throw alot in Dallas and TB he chocked big time forcing INTs in 4th quarters of both games.

But last year being his first year starting from the beginning, I agree w/ you he will be better for last year's experience.

Coach Z seems pleased w/ JC too!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Our USA female gymnists at least give evidence that we are allowing them to eat one meal a day, unlike previous years that Christine Brennan uncovered.

How old are the Chinese girls anyway?
They look to be 11 or 12 years old!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

grass on the field, play ball!

Posted by: | August 10, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watch Bob Costas' interview of Pres. Bush just moments ago?

Glad that he was willing to take a stand vs. China's woeful record regarding freedom of religion and human rights.

He also was caught on camera talking w/ Putin.
When asked what he said, he said he confronted Putin and told him their behavior right now is unacceptable.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Mix's recent injury will have him on the outside looking in unless he blows Hixon & Zorn's socks off in the last two ps games... Sounds like Tryon continues to get burned, I would say he's a project...

Opening day roster prediction:

QB: Campbell, Collins, Devine (3)
RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason (4)
FB: Sellers (1)
TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder (3)
WR: Moss, Randle-El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly, McMullen (6)
OL: Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Rinehart, Fabini, Heyer, Wade (9)
DL: Taylor, Griffin, Montgomery, Carter, Evans, Golston, Alexander, James, Wilson (9)
LB: Washington, Fletcher, McIntosh, Sinclair, Blades, Campbell (6)
DB: Springs, Landry, Doughty, Smoot, Rogers, Moore, Horton, Torrence, Richardson (9)
LS: Albright (1)
P: Brooks (1)
K: Suisham (1)

Practice Squad: Tryon, Geisinger, Brennan, Westbrook, Jackson
Cuts: Mix

Posted by: Jinx Man7997 | August 10, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Being in a leadership position myself, people take on the personality of their leader. Gibbs, Part II gave all he had, but he agonized over the game in almost every aspect. Turning his back on field goals, the self deprecating press conferences, etc, rubs off on players. Players made many mistakes, but football is an agressive game that must be coached as such.

What is immediately apparent with Zorn is that he is more relaxed than Gibbs. Zorn may prove to be a bust, but if you watch the body language and read between the lines of player interviews, they've bought into what he's selling. Zorn will undoubtely lose games and be tested, but it's how he will respond.

I still say this season will be as successful as JC and will depend on health. I must see JC bring us frombehind for me to say he's taken that next step.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 10, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Practice Squad: Tryon, Geisinger, Brennan, Westbrook, Jackson
Cuts: Mix

Posted by: Jinx Man7997 | August 10, 2008 9:11 PM

Mr. Jinx, could you please explain your theory of devine making the team over colt? pretty interesting idea, allbeit wild, crazy and insane.

Posted by: jaywho | August 10, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Jinx-

I think your list is pretty accurate, but I question Devine over Colt. I agree with you on Mix. I have been very impressed with McMullen and Thrash. It was a few short weeks ago when we thought Thrash would be released but he's the steady veteran.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on Tryon. He's lost out there and has been burned bad several times. Torrence just got outmuscled on a perfectly thrown ball.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 10, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

To be honest, the only aspect of this team I am really worried about (other than injuries) is our secondary. I think we're getting pressure, but although it's pre-season, I'd like to see a few less first downs.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 10, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jinx,
I make out the list each year too predicting the opening day roster.
Started doing this in HS years ago.

Haven't done it yet, thanks for getting us started.

Colt on the Practice Squad?
No way, someone will pick him up right away.

Tryon too?
You may be right. This guy always looks out of position; thus far more mouth than play!

Q. for anyone.
Can any other lineman longsnap?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey sicwidit,
I agree secondary could be MAJOR concern.

this makes the trade for Jayson Taylor an even better trade, doesn't it!

Also will, Chris Wilson develop and Jackson as pass rushers on 3rd downs?

Could our 4 man pass rush on 3rd downs be:
Jayson Taylor, Andre Carter, Demetric Evans, Chris Wilson or Erasmus James?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Horton got a colon infection... I'm not suggesting Horton is a homo, but never heard of a NFL player get that specific injury.

Posted by: RedskinsSucks | August 10, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Devine is one of Zorn's own from Seattle... Brennan is a project and the staff knows it. I believe Zorn is playing Colt more to see how he responds to the speed of the NFL, albeit against JV.

I don't have the luxury of watching games, based my opinion on what I've read...

The roster prediction is just for fun... anything can happen in the next three weeks

Posted by: Jinx Man7997 | August 10, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Did Gibbs stunt JC?
I realize people say so.
=========

Gibbs never "let" JC throw the ball. It was always the last option, which also made it the most predictable and easier to defend option.

The Gibbs Prevent Offense was by far the most painful part of the Gibbs 2.0 era.

Also, I don't know how you call those choke jobs since JC was the only reason the team was in those games, between the Skins going for a whopping 60 yards rushing in Dallas while trying to keep up with Romo to TO and the three turnovers by Moss/Portis to essentially start JC in a 16-0 hole against the #1 pass defense in the league on the road before they got on track.

JC was much more part of the solution than the problem.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 10, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Ray -

I think albright is too good to risk letting go. he NEVER screws up. when a long snapper screws up its usually a big play for the other team. don't think we can afford to risk it.

Posted by: T | August 10, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 6:29 PM

Ray, the "new" guy Mull It is just a repackaged talent evaluator.

Posted by: ANON | August 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Jinx: Colts showing up way more. But he is getting the shot to.He will get the 3 spot I am guessing but if JC and Collins are down for +3 games I see them bringing in a vet rather than have Colt play.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 10, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

not a chance in sweet hades Devine makes team over Colt...no chance...

No one will p/u devine...if we get an injury at QB he will be available to re pick up.

My main area of concern is LB....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

My main area of concern is LB....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 10, 2008 10:03 PM

It does feel like we're teetering on the brink of disaster at that position. I wonder what Vinnie has as "Plan B" or "Plan C"?

Posted by: Mull It | August 10, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

wish we could find a kid that had the tween size of a CB/LB to backup at two spots on the chart. Someone with a 6'0 230 body with speed. Have that guy in as a depth man that plays 2 positions would help.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 10, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Geisinger makes the team as well. He been a pleasant surprise so far as a backup center.

Posted by: Matt | August 10, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

jinx is on antoher planet. not having seen the games explains it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

If given the chance, i think Anthony Mix could be a pretty decent LB or CB.

Posted by: LHriS CarrY | August 10, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

If given the chance, i think Anthony Mix could be a pretty decent LB or CB.

Posted by: LHriS CarrY | August 10, 2008 10:24 PM

And the dude could play in the marching band at halftime.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Jinx is pretty much right on with his roster. I'd rather see a young guy like Geisinger or Crummey make it over Wade. Heyer and Rinehart are enough backup at tackle. Wade always gets hurt and kinda stinks anyway.

And no way Devine makes it over Colt. Can Westbrook be on the practice squad again?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Can Westbrook be on the practice squad again?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 10:29 PM

No. He just signed an extension with the Eagles

Posted by: Jo | August 10, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

CB / LB

I think you mean SS / LB?

We had one of those years ago in Gibbs 1.0
Alvin Walton: he would come up really well against the run, but man teams started exposing him in pass coverage and he was surprisingly cut after a few years.

Actually with the league going to frequent 3 and 4 WR sets, more teams are using 3 CB on defense especially on 3rd down where many utilize a 4th CB.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey je.
Yes, Gibbs did keep the reigns in on JC.

Secondly I was careful to state that in two games JC chocked [Dallas and TB]

The fact that you would question that only goes against what actually happened.
JC drove the team down the field twice wonderfully in the 4th quarter against both Dallas and TB and both times in the Red Zone threw INT.
Neither was on 4th down
There were comments by Skins
Comments by local sports media and
I recall ESPN as well as the Fox crew discussing how JC had thrown costly INTs two consecutive weeks.

You do not recall how even players commented on how TC did not turn the ball over and was playing so consistently?

You really don't want to debate this; everyone will recall how TC's play raised eye brows as to why JC could not do the same...

Now, am I hoping JC leads us well this year? YOU bet!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree don't think Devine over the Colt 45 unless Colt really stinks up the joint in 1-2 preseason games.

Collins did a great job no doubt last year. But I also agree that he had the benefit of a overall healthy team and 10 years in the system. I think the preseason has shown that while he is solid when he isn't in his comfort zone of the 700 page play book he struggles.

I know it's win now in the NFL but remember some of the great QBs stunk up the joint in their first year or two.

Sidenote not Olympic (shocking I know) - just saw Wall-E - a brilliant masterpiece of a movie. I'm a huge Pixar fan and I'd put this as one of their top 2 films. Just beautiful.

Posted by: sfskin | August 11, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

+++Is it possible that Cerrato knew that Jason Taylor would be available all along, which would explain why he didn't draft for this position of obvious need?

Posted by: Chia Pet | August 10, 2008 8:10 PM++++

Yes, it's true. Vinny doesn't get enough credit as an innovator. He is the first NFL exec to assign a scout full time to "Dancing with the Stars."

The Scout, a former professional Tap dancer from Notre Dame reported back that Taylor would make the finals, and likely tick off The Tuna. With that knowledge in hand Vinny decided to draft three receivers in the second round, two of them out of shape.

Man is a GENIUS.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

++++He also was caught on camera talking w/ Putin.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 9:09 PM+++

I don't suppose Costas followed up by asking Bush if Putin burst out laughing when Bush chided him for invading a soverign nation flush with oil on a pretext.

Missed the interview. Just asking.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

2:02 is CORKCZAr being snide. Glad to see you were kidding after all, chia.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

"Generation Kill" blows me away.

The book was briliant, too.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 11, 2008 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:24 PM

Injuries have a way of screwing up the best plans.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 10, 2008 8:24 PM

I think anyone who had the idea that these guys were going to contribute right away and/or get Thrash off the team this year was misgiven to 'draft pick' optimism.

Every year how many rookies - TOTAL - make major contributions to their respective teams? There are usually a few Laron Landry scenarios. Guys that start every game and become first year solid starters within their team but few fans outside of that locale really know about them?

Then there may be a hand full of guys on both sides of the ball considered for rookie of the year, but I ask the blog if they can name the 2007 defensive ROY, what team and where he was drafted without looking it up?

In the words of Greg Blache...

Now having said that, I like this rookie class, I see all of them making the team in some capacity (straight up or practice squad.) Everyone wants Mason to make the team and last year Westbrook and this year Richardson. So Mix looks gone unless he heals quickly and makes a solid case for himself. Mason looks like a keeper for scout team at least even if he doesn't dress for a game.

My question is who is the back-up full back? J. Thrash?

Guys on the bubble who played in 2007. (Wade, Wilson, Heyer, Fabini, Fox, Mix, Boschetti, Sinclair, K. Campbell, Torrence, and Frost) The only one I see not making the roster other than Mix is Frost. It all depends on who of the practice squad guys or undrafted free agents make the team.

Also, those last cuts are the deepest. When you thought you made the team but then some other guy is available from another team and [BANG] you're gone.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 11, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

WHy did the skins not look at spikes. being short on good LB's you would think they would have. oh well, too late now

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Probably for the same reason that the Eagles cut him: injury concerns. You don't strengthen an injury-risk linebacking corps by adding another injury risk linebacker.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 11, 2008 7:45 AM

Dude wanted too much money for the 'Skins. The San Francisco paper describes him as "another expensive piece..."

'Skins might be better off looking at the guy San Francisco released, Brandon Moore -- "Moore led the 49ers in tackles with 114 and sacks with 6 1/2 in 2006. After the season, he was named winner of the club's Matt Hazeltine Award as the team's most courageous and inspirational player. But he fell out of favor early last season because of missed tackles in preseason games. Also, it was believed the coaches regarded his attitude as lackadaisical."

"Out of favor" with that mess of a coaching staff they have in San Francisco the year after he wins the team's award for courage and inspiration? Something's wrong there. It may be the player (Brandon Lloyd?) and it may be the staff (Andre Carter?)

Posted by: Motivator | August 11, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Good win the other night, and by good, I mean, no major injuries. I thought that Betts, and Portis looked good. Focused on Jansen a couple times, and thought he was getting pushed around, which is worrysome. I'm hoping that a couple of the young cats on the line, Crummey, Geisinger can make the team, which if they do, combined with Reinhart, and possibly Heyer gives them a good young set of backups.

Thats all I've got..anxious to see Thomas get out there, hopefully only if he's healthy.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Moticator, you might be onto something with Moore. Seemed like he was on the fast track, until they drafted Willis. He might be worth a look, although I think he's a MLB, and the Redskins probably need more of an OLB, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Greg | August 11, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Move along...nothing more to see here. beepbeep

Posted by: Cindy | August 11, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse