Monday Afternoon H-Back

General observations:

Portis and Samuels were huge. To play that well - and that well in the fourth quarter on a muggy day against a legit D no less - was something to see. The Redskins wanted this game more late and, to their credit, rode the two tailbacks. This one went according to plan - run the ball 40 times, connect on some third down passes, get a strong effort from the D and win it late. Samuels pretty much shutdown Jason Taylor, and I was surprised the Dolphins didn't overload Taylor against Stephon Heyer more, but they generally left him on the right side.

Wade says he is starting in Jansen's spot, and if so it's the right move. They gave the guy millions to sign here, and he was great in his one start at RT last year. He has ample experience and the people around here have raved about his pass blocking for quite some time. Heyer gets time to develop this way and can be a valuable swing tackle, but to expect him to start this early in the season, with a guy like Wade on the sidelines, would be a gamble few teams would make.

JC is what we thought he was. Give him time. You're going to see more of this as he learns and adapts. Hard for him to just throw it away sometimes, especially when he had as much time to throw as he did on the Lloyd INT for instance. Loved what he did with is feet when need be and he obviously has trust throwing to Randle El deep now. If you take that crazy Hail Mary out of the equation, JC was 11 for 20 for 168 yards and two picks - for a 43 rating. He'll get better.

I am baffled that in the fourth quarter, while Chris Chambers was picking about Smoot and Rogers, that Springs was on the bench. I guess I get the fact the Skins want to look at their younger corners, and it's been pretty clear to all parties for a long time that this is probably Springs's last season here anyway. But still. The dude was making plays and Smoot came real close to costing the Redskins the game on several occasions and was rough all around.

Trent Green had happy feet and his line was weak and Miami had no semblance of a downfield game, but they still clearly liked their chances against Smoot. At one point late in the second quarter drive they put Chambers on Smoot and threw at him four straight times. Two were incomplete - the Dolphins are going to have some major pass protection issues I think - but the other two went for 37 yards to set up a go-ahead TD drive.

Then Smoot had the silly illegal contact penalty on third and seven in the fourth quarter, and then the dropped INT that should have ended the game. And in the fourth quarter it Carlos's turn to get picked on. Miami sent Chambers at him, getting over the top for 28 yards, then following it up with a 20-yard pass interference call to get it down to the 8, where Miami could have won the game. And all the while I can't help but be baffled by Spring's standing on the sidelines. Gregg Williams says he wants to keep the guys fresh and rotate and all of that jazz, but ain't no way I don't have Springs out there. Heard that after the game Trent Green was asked some of the Skins players what was up with that, 'cause the Dolphins went into the game hoping to pick on the guy not on Shawn's side, and ended up only facing Springs in the nickel package for the most part. Springs is healthy, and I'd be playing him like heck now.

Brandon Lloyd just doesn't want to help himself does he? Held without a catch for the fourth time in 16 games as a Skin. Had to go back and check the Tivo before I commented on the interception in the end zone, but after watching it the worst was confirmed. He didn't want that ball as much as the DB. If you're not going to catch any passes or be a factor on a team that gave you $12 million guaranteed, at least play a lil defense. Also, didn't see a whole lot of the wide receiver racing up field to make that tackle on the return, either. Not good. I'd go with Thrash as my No. 3 WR against the Eagles.

Two sides of Gibbs. Coach Joe threw us a few curves, eh? Shocked he even pretended to want to go for that fourth-and-two - but not surprised at all he complained about the officiating on the call - and then a little surprised he opted to kick the game-winning field goal on first down, too, with the running game humming along. The guy is mega-conservative at heart, though, and I can't blame him at all for wanting to kick the dang thing and get that error-filled game over with without taking any more chances.

The New York Giants are done. Yeah, it's stupid to make any projection like this after one game, but I'm a definitely a stupid dude and that team looks as picked apart as Tank Johnson's fridge. No running backs. No defense. Suspect offensive line. An out-of-shape Strahan and now Uminyora hurt. Hard for me to imagine Nine Lives Coughlin surviving into 2008.

Arch Deluxe Rides Again. Mike Brown is hurt again, so looks like AD will be starting for the Bears this year. We'll keep an eye on that.

Eric Mangini is brutal in front of the camera. Anyone else catch Sesame Street this morning? Laveranues "Plasma" Coles, Chad Pennington, the Jets Aussie punter and Mangini were on, doing some football drills with Elmo, and, well, let's just say the acting was about as smooth as the Jets' execution Sunday vs. the Pats. Coles seemed pretty into the whole thing and Chad was okay, too, but Mangini had even Chloe cringing. Gotta think even his stoic mentor in New England could have found some sliver of personality to latch on to and reflect through the camera lens.

Had no idea what the hell the Aussie punter was even saying, but that dude is like 6-6, though, and not to be messed with, so I'm not going to go Sara Silverman on him on the blog and risk a beat down at the Meadowlands when the Skins are up there in a few weeks.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 10, 2007; 12:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Inactives
Next: Jansen Speaks .. So Does Wade

Comments

thanks

Posted by: first of course | September 10, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK

*hugs* to all my peeps - I'm FIRST!

... oh darn ...

Posted by: SallieMae | September 10, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

from previous post

Jansen shabingus:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 12:34 PM

Ugh! Could've done without that. I know you warned us but I couldn't help it. Like driving by a wreck on the highway - just gotta look.

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2007 12:53 PM

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

1st!

Posted by: Futureman | September 10, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Just keep pounding the ball and throwing it deep. Oh, and Smoot's gonna need some help over there.

Why don't more people stand in the stadium? Is there a rule against standing on a defensive 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter?

Posted by: The Ghost of Gibbs '91 | September 10, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

1srdteenth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Not Second | September 10, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs complained about the call on the off sides because it was wrong. As he said in the post game presser, he actually went over it with the officials before the play and they still got it wrong. Lack of discipline by the Fish and the refs bailed them out.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

But you promise to find something out -- or at least make something up -- about Springs, right?

[We kid because we love]

Posted by: cload and daggar | September 10, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Jasno. Thanks for feeding the hamsters.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Before the GAME, I mean. Not before the PLAY.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Springs is in the Double G doghouse. Someone's gotta be if he's going to go against type and play a rookie like Landry.

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Darnit I wrote it and you guys are gonna read it. New post happened while writing:

Jack,

I agree with you. There are a FEW cases that I have sensed a bit of truly negative slants on some things in Jason's writing. More tone than anything and just my opinion of course.

Most of the negativity is well deserved however and just telling it like it is. If all the personel people say that what the skins are doing is antiquated and stupid it's not up to Jason to find someone who paints a rosier picture that what is reality.

I think some people think that he is hired to write positive things about the skins. Those people should understand that that is anything but the case. Reporters take great pains to stay objective. Sometimes that objectivity can be overdone which I think has been the case with JLa from time to time.

That is of course just my opinion and I have never ever been able to dispute anything he puts in his articles. All his facts seem to be right on. Which is why people who say "Oh PFT scooped you on this and that" don't realize that the post and JLa hold themselves to a much higher standard in what they will put out there.

/end rant.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Jasno thanks for another great post.

Posted by: Dante | September 10, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The refs didn't botch the call, its not legal, you can't have two players in motion at the same time. Sellers moved while Yoder was moving. You can't do that. The worst part is, he didn't have to, the guy jumped on Yoder's move Sellers shouldn't and didn't have to do anything.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

A win's a win, but I hope we make some plays against the eagles.

Dallas, as much it pains me to say this, looks legit.

I need some more Cooley.

Hail!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 10, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

and worst player of the game goes to... bloyd... love to be positive and say maybe he'll have a decent year, but all he's been doing is proving he dosnt seem to care

Posted by: peter | September 10, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

So -- I believe that Gibbs thinks the illegal procedure call was wrong... but Yoder and Sellars were moving at the same time, right? Where do you go to find out the real deal?

Posted by: cload and daggar | September 10, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Randel El manned up.

Chris Samuels is a pro bowl tackle for a reason.

I was suprised to see Portis man up that much. I thought he'd be decent but I guess having Ladell to split carries makes it a lot easier.

Posted by: Dave | September 10, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone else catch Sesame Street this morning?"

Not exactly on my list of "must see TV". Nice post though Jasno.

I hate to nitpick but you could have showed a little love for our D and two sacks instead of just saying Miami's line was weak (even though you're right).

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

What is it with DoubleG - can't he go one season without starting up some drama? We went from LaVar to AD and now Springs? I think Williams takes the business side of football and makes it personal - that's why he would be a horrible choice as head coach for the Skins, him and Snyder would be sending out a few plasma tv's a week to their dog house players.

Posted by: David | September 10, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

You can have two people in motion at the same time, they just have to reset themselves.

We do this all the time.

That call was real fishy.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | September 10, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cload,

I'm sure the NFL rules are online somewhere, but the penalty is two players in motion at the snap of the ball. The fact that there were multiple players in motion does not matter because it was only a hard count. They never snapped the ball. The Dolphins DE should know better. He can go on movement by the tight end because the tight end can go in motion.

Very creative play that has Gibbs' fingerprints all over it. Too bad they won't be able to use it for a few weeks because it needs the element of surprise.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If he IS in the Williams' doGGhouse, wonder if we can spring Springs and send in Rogers. [Only picking Rogers b/c I still want to believe that Smoot's performance yesterday was abherrant (sp?).]

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Mike that's wrong, when the QB is under center (which JC was) only one player can be in motion at a time and NO players can be in motion at the snap.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The motion call was "simulating the snap" not illegal motion. It was the jerking forward motion of the fullback that caused the penalty

Posted by: Cballer | September 10, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

This is why, although I will counter punch occasionally, Janso is the BOMB...

One of the best Monday Morning H-backs...EVA!

I think he is spot on about Wade and the Springs issue....Why does Double G have to insert himself in ego ways every year?!?1

Thanks bro!

Posted by: chriS Larry | September 10, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Correction, No players can be in forward motion at the snap.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I just saw the pics of the Lloyd shabingus on tha other site. I was sitting at the other end of the stadium and cursed a blue streak because I believed I saw him give up on that play. But, things happen so quickly that I wanted to take a look at it again since I recorded the game. Now, I'm mad as hell all over again. What a gutless bum.

F Pretty Boy Lloyd. F him straight to the hottest corner of hell.

Posted by: JustMe | September 10, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 01:04 PM

Except that wasn't the penalty.; The Ref clearly said "sudden movement simulating the snap" or similar and that is a Bushwa call. If both guys moved, that's a penalty, b ut that wasn't the call. Pretty sketchy crew, overall.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

POSTED 12:57 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2007

JACOBS OUT 3-5 WEEKS

Posted by: PFT | September 10, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Cballer is correct;

Yoder can move to the right and reset. Sellers can move to lateral, but I dont think he did.

We and other teams shift two players at once all the time. Both TE shift other side, Wr and TE shift at the same time. THey have to let more than one b/c of the play clock.

Sellers was said to move forward. I did not see the replay so I cant comment. That was the call though

Posted by: Zebra | September 10, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, look at #25 in the link that Jack posted and tell me how Samuels' has two right elbows?"

Posted by: cload and daggar | September 10, 2007 12:52 PM

LMGOL!

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Correction, No players can be in forward motion at the snap.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 01:13 PM

WTF are you talking about? There were no players going forward on the snap?

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 01:04 PM

YES, you can. as long as you reset for one second. Go check the rulebook before you come with that weak shiggity....

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 10, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yup, there's motion and there's a shift. You can shift two people (or more) as long as they both set before the ball is snapped. You can have one guy in motion when the ball is snapped.

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | September 10, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

What in the hell, just happened?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna pile on Jasno. This is a great service he provides, and if I had to put up with the yahoos who hate on him I'd have opted out a long time ago. Analysing the psychosis of some of the posters here is worth a doctoral thesis.

This latest is a nice analysis in most respects.

I too am baffled about Springs on the bench. Smoot can't cover and Carlos isn't much better. That's scary, but if Springs is out there shutting down one guy, the safety can help out on the other side.

Jasno is spot on about Portis and Samuels. Great performance in tough conditions. The whole team was in good shape, it appeared, except for The Wide Receiver, who was evidentally too echausted to pursue the guy who intercepted the pass he didn't try ot catch.

As for Jasno shortcomings, next post.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Jack - you are wrong about that. Guys are in motion at the snap all the time. They just can not being moving forward at the time of the snap.

I think the call they made on the illegal procedure was that Yoder made a violent move simulating the snap of the ball.

See #18 in section 2

Posted by: cdubb | September 10, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

From the NFL rulebook on motion:

Requirements for player positioning at scrimmage.

1. Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

2. Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.
(Exception: player who takes snap.)

3. No interior lineman may move after taking or simulating a three-point stance.

4. No player of either team may invade neutral zone before snap.

5. No player of offensive team may charge or move, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

6. If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

7. All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

8. After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.

9. Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

Don't know if this clears up anything; but being a fan I say it was a bogus call.

Posted by: NC ICU RN | September 10, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok finally I can do my impressions from the game:

The Good:

Joe Bugel: This guy really knows how to "coach em'up" doesn't he? Give the man credit for getting another undrafted FA into fighting shape.

Portis and Betts: 151 yards on a stout Defense.

O-line vs. their front 7. Took 3.5 quarters but they finally grinded the 'fins down.

D-line (running): Monty and a healthy Griff with an intermitant Golston help up well against the rushing attack.

Rocky and LFB: It's nice when LB's lead the team in tackles and not your free safety isn't it?

The Bad:

Smoot: I don't know if it's the scheme or the player but can we please stop giving WR's 10 yard cusions? It's not like chambers is Steve Smith 4.4 speed.

Fedex crowd: Apart from first two drives it wasn't loud in the stadium at all and standing up on the first play of the new season or critical 3rd downs is apparently frowned upon now....How I miss you RFK.

D-Line (Passing): Apart from AC's first sack I never saw anyone get even close the rest of the day.

The ugly:

B. Lloyd "The extra L stands for lousy.": The skins should cut off his direct deposit so he has to go in and take the check from Danny's hand every week. He should be embarrassed to cash the check.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You're all wrong. No players with an age that is a prime number can be in motion (19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, Warren Moon, etc.) while the QB has his hands up the center's butt. You can only have two players in motion (if both players follow the 1st part of the rule) if the sum of the two player's jersey numbers is divisible by 9. (45 + 87 = 132; 9 does not go into 132 evenly)

Get it right.

Posted by: Dorf | September 10, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dallas, as much it pains me to say this, looks legit.

I need some more Cooley.

Hail!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 10, 2007 01:04 PM

The cowboys have their issues as well. No defense.

Posted by: skinswest | September 10, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

And we need to get rid of blloyd!!

Posted by: NC ICU RN | September 10, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

For everyone that says players can't move forward, how about situations when the RB starts out in the back field and then moves to a WR spot? More than one player can move and they can move forward. Happens all the time. It just can't happen at the snap and the players have to reset.

It was a bad call. The ball was never snapped.

Posted by: the don | September 10, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Also, a little more props for Pete Kendall... feels pretty good to have those Jetskin guards wrapped around our Raveskin center, doesn't it?

Run the ball. And then run it some more.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Man people love to beat on Jack! I think Jack your tone sets people off, but hey get the feeling mine does as well. But piece of advice don't be so assertive when you might not have correct info...

Corkzar I would love to read that Doctoral thesis!

For those of us (as in me) rooting for a body bag game last night got your (my) wish...wow are the Jints and cowpukes taken hits...and I think Glenn aint coming back this year and you cant tell me Terrence Newman will play or play well anytime soon with a bum foot.

Wasspostlive...not gonna hate on ya...but man dont buy the cowpukes hype my man!

Posted by: chriS Larry | September 10, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NC ICU RN | September 10, 2007 01:23 PM

You are on point right there buddy....

We ran that play on my JV team back in '94.

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 10, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Smoot always gave to much cushion! He never has been great in press coverage. I don't like Springs on the Bench either but, and I'm just speculating here, the defense was playing well (13 points is good against any NFL team) and yeah they were completing some passes but for the most part they did well, nothing except for the one on Carlos over the top and that was a BS interference call on him so maybe they just wanted a healthy rested Springs for the iggles and Giants after a year of injuries and little action in the preseason.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Springs not playing...What?

Where is the Blitz?

Posted by: SLICKRED1 | September 10, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dorf has it right, as usual.

Someone in our section of the sports bar said the issue was that the player who moved (which prompted the offsides jump) had been set in a three-point stance or something that looked like a three-point stance. Which would seem to be in violation of the rule #3 in NC ICU RN's post, pending clarification of the definition of "interior lineman."

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss dropping those passes was a little disturbing. The Skins were fortunate to have Randall El step up or those drops could have been the difference.

Also, was it just me did it seem that the only time that the Skins running backs were stopped in the backfield it was because Chris Cooley missed a block. I know he's a recieving end, but I felt like the team runs for over 200 yards if Cooley keeps his guy from breaking through a couple times.

Posted by: Paul S. | September 10, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jasno--

On the down side of an otherwise excellent report by you.

I know you got your rit caught in the tinger over earlier comments about Heyer. But give it a rest, okay? There is no reason why the Kid shouldn't have been included in the praise category that went to Portis and Samuels. He's an UNDRAFTED free agent who has NEVER PLAYED RT, not once, yet he came in, threw several key blocks in OT, and did not get beat ONCE for a sack. That's heroic stuff.

All you can come up with is how by Golly Wade should start this week because he had one good game and he was paid millions to play here? How does that logic apply to, say the WR position? Should Lloyd start because he got $12 mil guaranteed?

If healthy, Wade SHOULD start, I believe, but it doesn't diminish what Heyer has accomplished this year,m and particularly in this game. It was graceless of Wade to claim the starting position when it isn't his decision, however.

I believe you are hurting your own cred by railing on about Heyer. You should recuse yourself on the Kid. Because your work here is valued, most of your insight is valid, but this blind spot isn't good for you or anyone, for that matter.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 10, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess the two in motion at the same time thing came from Madden, and I said "correction no player can be moving forward at the snap."

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Paul S:

Blocking is not Cooley's fortay, butt he has come ALONG way, and although whiffed a few he also got some licks in ie the TD CP run....

Posted by: chriS Larry | September 10, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Seems the passing game should be evaluated in three phases:

a) short game
b) medium
c) long

We've focused so long on the lack of the deep ball, that we forget that one HUGE problem of the Brunell era was the lack of the seem route both on the outside and down the middle. Our short game is terribly predictable (three yard slant, WR screen); where are the RB screens and the RB swing passes? The long bomb will be there, but what about those intermediate routes that really leave defenses off-balance as to whether cover tight or have the linebackers encroach onto the line of scrimmage. I want to see more of that from Cambell and Co.

Posted by: Icarus | September 10, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Cooley was up against pro bowlers Joey Porter and Jason Taylor all day. He held up his end on the CP TD run did he not? Or did you forget that play, Paul?

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The decision to kick on first down was just foolish. A 40-yarder isn't a gimme. There is no good reason not to run the ball at least twice more, and try to knock 7 or 8 yards off the distance. Kicking on first down is so conservative it's reckless.

Posted by: jlp | September 10, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason. Good review. Springs' lack of playing time remains a mystery. He is our best cornerback. Period. I am all for rotation to keep players fresh but he was definitely playing the least of the 3 and its not like Smoot and Rogers were setting the world on fire either.

Something tells me that Springs is in Gregg Williams' doghouse as another poster suggested. The team definitely feels Springs was the mole last year for the mid-year expose that ripped the defense and the Skins spent all off-season shopping him so you have to believe there is still some tension there.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | September 10, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Wade should get the start next week. Heyer has a lot of potential but Right Tackle is Wade's natural position and I he may even be an upgrade from Jansen in pass protection. Of al the off line positions, RT is the one where they had the most depth.

I'd like to see Wade in there regularly with Heyer comming in to replace him when the team gets inside the 10 yard line.

Posted by: Paul S | September 10, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

He didn't bang on Heyer, he just said Wade should start. That's not banging. But Heyer did look pretty good and they ran behind him twice in OT for big gains.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jlp | September 10, 2007 01:33 PM

Gibbs addressed his reasoning in the post game news conference. Valid reasons, from his persective. And he's the head coach. And his bust is in Canton.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I truly hope we can get Llyod some catches so we could use him as trade bait come February. This guy is just simply terrible all around. They split out Tod Yoder wide at least 3 times during the game! Like they actually believe Todd Yoder is gonna go out and catch anything.

Smoot! Why must you toy with us? As if Carlos Rogers doesnt drop enough interceptions that hit him in the hands. Even after knowing all this, they STILL dont give springs playing time.

Posted by: Dream Seats | September 10, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar --

I missed the part in the post where it was made clear that it was just Wade's opinion that he will be starting, vice something he had been told. Maybe so, but that isn't in the post.

I'll stop appearing to SJK Jasno now . . .

Posted by: stevie in gp | September 10, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I was one of many griping and cussing Gibbs on the 1st down kick call, but in hindsight my thoughts have changed.

Me if I'm Gibbs:

1. I got a big legged kicker that he's just as likely to miss from 30 yds. as he is from 40 yards.

2. I got an undrafted rookie at RT.

3. I probably would have lost in regulation if it wasn't for a hold and a grounding call so I definitely don't want to give the ball back.

4. a holding call or fumble kills everything and I got a chance right here

5. God-forbid a bad snap happens, I have two plays not just one to try and get back in range.

I now think that it was the smart move!

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

As anyone who watched the Gibbs teams in the 80s knows, there is no rule against having more than one player in motion prior to the snap. Even now, we come out a lot with Cooley in the backfield and a wideout lined up at tight end and they both motion (at the same time) to where they should be. The refs botched the call. Its a common misconception that you cant have two men in motion at the same time. Think about it, how could you get from the huddle to the line?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The kick on first down shows just how much trust Gibbs has in Swiss-Ham.

With all the close games the 'Skins play, Swiss-Ham is the player to get us a Wild Card this year.

Oh, and guess who had the longest punt yesterday? Frost. (64 yards).

I called it a few days ago. Pro Bowl, Dude, Pro Bowl.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, haters.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Let's get this straight........the call was NOT for two men moving at the same time. It was for an "abrubt" movement by Yoder that simulated the snap (as the referee put it). I assume the referee would have allowed it if he had mde a smoother release to the slot from his three point stance and not been so obvious in trying to pull the DL offsides.

It was Dan Dierdorf making all the noise about two men moving.

So, although there very well may have been two men moving, that was not the penalty or at least how the refereee called it and explained it.

Posted by: Jah | September 10, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I am totally, hearing voices.

Posted by: E | September 10, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Straight up football insider question for the estemed gallery:

Do the trainers bring serious painkiller injections -- either local or even generalized type -- onto the field when necessary (i.e Jansen)?

and did anyone else notice the trainer lying on Jansen's chest while (I assume) they popped his ankle back to walking forward position? Again, big props/shout-out/whatever-early-2000s-phrase is appropriate here to Jason Campbell for staying at Jansen's side

Posted by: stevie in gp | September 10, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Mike I said that two players can't be in motion at the same time when the qb was under center, and I was wrong, but its not like I thought that two players could never ever be in motion at the same time, I mean not just the huddle, how could they get to the field? or the locker room? or to dinner? or to the bathroom?

It would really cause problems.....

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

No problem with the kick on first down. Suisham has plenty of leg. If he was going to miss it, that would have been because he choked, and he could just as easily gag from 30 yards. The great thing about doing it on first down is if you get a bad snap (or the holder "pulls a romo"), you can just smother it and run another play on 2nd down (or try the 47-yarder, which is also within his range). Did we win?

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

When did he rail on about Heyer?

"Heyer gets time to develop this way and can be a valuable swing tackle, but to expect him to start this early in the season, with a guy like Wade on the sidelines, would be a gamble few teams would make."

I don't see it in there.

Also, everyone should recognize the difference between holding up well in the middle of the game vs. giving someone like JJ up in Philly a week to gameplan against you.

Heyer played great but is more valuable to us as swing tackle vs Wade who can't play the left side.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Jack, I agree. It would be awful. It was a case of Gibbs being too smart for the refs (and, therefore, too smart for his own good). You can bet, he'll make sure the league informs its refs of the proper rule.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

clear up on the ref call

ref didn't call two men in motion. the call was "abrupt motion by #xx(yoder)".

the call was right. yes, you can go in motion but not in a way that you APPEAR TRYING to draw the D offsides.

that's what the refs were discussing. cuz it sure looked like yoder was trying to draw the defense off-sides. it was a judgement call. i think they got it right.

Posted by: dealer | September 10, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Jah,

I think you are right about the reason they gave for the penalty. Problem is, that's not a penalty either. Only the QB can be flagged for "simulating a snap." They were wrong, wrong, wrong.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Holy shti!!!!...TO news again...

"In the NY/DAL game, on TO's second touchdown, TO was hit late for a penalty. I was curious why a guy who got burned would go after a player in the endzone. Well thanks to TIVO i witnessed what got the defender so peeved. Starting at the 15yd line TO stuck out his middle finger and kept it low to his side, going into the endzone. Even if the producer of SNF saw this he couldn't show a replay of it(thanx FCC) Do you think the league saw this too, and if so what do you think Goodell will do?

Doug Kretz: (1:39 PM ET ) Warriorr.. This incident (with TO's actions) is being posted all over the internet.. Goodell won't be able to ignore it and will probably end up fining TO..

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the new post. Get 1/2 point for giving CP his due. If you would have said you was wrong about him it would have been a whole point.

Posted by: jm220 | September 10, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, totally agree, both Yoder and Sellers knew what they were doing. I don't have a problem with the try on the Skins part, and I don't have a problem with the refs call, it was like the supreme court's call on porn, I can't define it but I know it when I see it, that play, I couldn't define it, but it just didn't look right.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Mike:

"No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start."

Straight from the rulebook boss, looks like what they called to me.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dealer. See response to Jah. They called a penalty that doesn't exist. Other than the QB, there is no penalty for simulating a snap, its either a false start or it isn't and in this case, it wasn't. There is no requirement that presnap motion be deliberate and not abrupt. They bailed out the Dolphins for a lack of discipline.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected I guess. But I've never seen that called before.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 10, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

CP just can't help himself. When he's not running the ball, he's acting "with a total lack of disregard for his own body", as a malaprop-prone college friend used to say. He appeared to be in on the tackle on Campbell's first interception and then launched a wicked (helmet-to-helmet) block on a lineman or 'backer on Campbell's long scramble for a first down. Guy's a football player -- can't fault him for that.

(Or can you?)

Posted by: stevie in gp | September 10, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Mike see last post, its the fifth in the rulebook regarding pre-snap/snap player positioning.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Best thing the Skins could do this week ... get rid of Lloyd. Just cut him right now. A guy who doesn't hustle, doesn't put out the effort is a guy the rest of the players don't want around. Its addition by subtraction.

Overall, a so-so team beat another so-so team. Campbell struggled against a decent defense and the running game was pretty strong. The D was good, but against a weak team ... even if Green is a good QB.

Posted by: AL | September 10, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

nevermind

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

It's fairly apparent that the trademark Saunders offense will not magically flip on like a switch, so, really, why is he here? Seriously. That offense yesterday was all Gibbs. Power running, take shots downfield.

What happened, Santana?

Defensive backfield has to get in better shape and quick.

They were running behind Heyer on those dagger runs in OT. Starting Wade is the right move, but just sayin'.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | September 10, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

what free agent QB's are available? we need a new one.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Jasno and the rest of the clowns who were criticizing Portis... Just the hell up. You guys have no clue what you are talking about. My man ran for almost 100 yards you moron!!!

Posted by: Redskins4life | September 10, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Reche Caldwell up here for a look see? No way he's even close to being worse than Lloyd.

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Al,

I disagree, an above average playoff team beat a so-so team in unconvincing fashion. the truth is though, Moss doesn't drop everything he looks at, Campbell doesn't miss Moss twice and ARE on that late third down, and Lloyd catches a very nicely thrown TD pass and the game isn't that close at all. The pass campbell missed moss on was at like the 15 with nobody near him and just a safety b/w Santana and the end zone, I'll take those odds any day.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Where is Michael Westbrook when you need him?

Posted by: TM | September 10, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Did you guys hear the rumor that the Pats were stealing signals from the Jets yesterday? A complaint has been filed with the league office...

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dang, loseable type must be dropping whole posts from my computer. I totally missed the raving stark mad lunatics criticizing Portis . . .

Posted by: stevie in gp | September 10, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

or stark raving . . . (damn dyslexia)

Posted by: stevie in gp | September 10, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Bigfish, they had to wait till after the first week of the season or anybody they brought in and signed couldn't then be cut without their full season salary being guaranteed. I predict/hope, LLoyd and Bodiford cut and Gabriel and Caldwell signed.

Posted by: Jack | September 10, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Bigfish, the Dolphins looked at Caldwell - who knows the Patriots '07 playbook - and still didn't want anything to do with him.

There's probably a good reason for that.

Posted by: Redcoat | September 10, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm ecstatic that Gibbs chose to kick the field goal because that means Suisham must look great in practice. We keep hearing good things about the kid but that might have been the confirmation that we needed.

Now, if only he could have removed that short kickoff...

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | September 10, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but Reche Caldwell's eyes can see into the fourth dimension.

That must be a cool party trick.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"PHILADELPHIA -- Two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Lito Sheppard is expected to miss at least one game for the Eagles with a sprained knee ligament."

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The forth dimension ain't SJK. The seventh and ninth are where the party's at!

Posted by: Reche Caldwell | September 10, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Reche Caldwell's eyes looking into the 4th dimension, yesterday.

Posted by: Redcoat | September 10, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The injury news (aside from Jansen) I'd been waiting for from the Skins' site:

"The Redskins also lost safety Vernon Fox in the first half. Fox suffered a groin injury and did not return to the game. Defensive end Phillip Daniels suffered a sprained foot and safety Pierson Prioleau had a hamstring injury."

>>> Sucks that all three are on defense.

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, things are not looking good for the Bills' tight end, Kevin Everett. Nothing but good thoughts and prayers headed his way...

Posted by: P Diddy | September 10, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but Reche Caldwell's eyes can see into the fourth dimension.

That must be a cool party trick.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 02:02 PM

LMGO!

Redcoat - The Dolphins were probably interested in him for one reason and that's to try to pry info out of him. The Jets did the same thing.

Not 100% sure but I don't think we could afford to cut Lloyd with the salary cap.

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

One thing I did notice was the Reaper employing some self control yesterday. There were several plays where somebody was making a tackle out of bounds or something and he held up instead of pounding them late or out of bounds, something he might of done a few years ago.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | September 10, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

My boy Buckaroo Banzai says the 8th Dimension is where the action is. Bigboote!

Posted by: P Diddy | September 10, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I saw that TO touchdown and thought it was odd the way he was sticking his hand out down by his side... didn't catch the middle finger, but I'd hit that guy late any time I could. Sean Taylor owns TO. Let's see him pull that SJK in our house.

Let's see TO try to land a catch in Area 51.

Posted by: Dorf | September 10, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that first you win, THEN you get good.

I couldn't agree more with Wilbon. Let's get some confidence, build some momentum, elimiate injuries and turnovers, and who knows what could happen.

Is it time for Kornheiser to roll out the bandwagon and tune it up?

*hugs* j/k

Posted by: SallieMae | September 10, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I am totally seeing things, right about now.

Posted by: E | September 10, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

This ought to make things a little easier. Not that Jacobs was really tearing it up in the game before he got hurt.

"POSTED 12:57 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2007

JACOBS OUT 3-5 WEEKS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Giants running back Brandon Jacobs is expected to miss 3-5 weeks with a sprained MCL suffered in Sunday night's loss to the Cowboys."

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I think Lloyd, Brandon's cap hit would be too great to take right now.

Danny, give that man a plasma!

Forgot to mention that Swean Shuwishumr or whatever his name is gets mad props. He's only missed 1 FG since he's been here.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 10, 2007 02:00 PM

I read the article.Maybe they'll penalize them with an automatic loss on 10/28.

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

" ... I missed what happened that caused St. Joe to get excited enough to whip off his head gear ... something about Yoder? What happened?"

Posted by: dcsween | September 9, 2007 11:21 PM

To the first 40 posts on this thread ... THANKS!

P Diddy, its pronounced boot-TAY!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

NFL Primetime crew talking about how crappy the Dallas D looks. Says yeah they brought in Wade Phillips to shore up the D but the problem with that is they didn't bring the 11 guys from SD with him. And now their starting DT is out for the year. Not good for a 3-4 D.

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

From the "Countdown" thread (4 or 5 back), patting self on back ...

"I think the first Skin to score this season will be Sweez'um. ..."

Posted by: dcsween | September 8, 2007 10:26 PM

Can't I get me some hate here? cL, where are you?

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

dcsween - You're a pompous arrogant SJK. (not really but you asked for some hate)

Posted by: bigfish | September 10, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Run the ball. And then run it some more.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2007 01:26 PM

Add Heyer to this post and we have reason to believe that Scouting is getting their act together, in spite Of Jasno's dis-agreement with me on this matter.
We ran the ball down the throats of a fine run D with two odd men out on the O line. Both those men were finds. And Bugel coached that O-line up, folks.

O-line knocks 'em down
New linemen set for a fall
Feet anchored like roots

Posted by: Neil in Durango | September 10, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Good post, Jason.

Best observation:

" .. I'm a stupid dude ..". Indeed you are.

As for those of you wishing he stopped railing against Heyer .. forget about it. At the beginning of the 2006 playoff Jason called Peyton " a playoff hack". Well, he won Superbowl and Superbowl MVP a month later. Any apologies from Jason? None.

Show us your Pulitzer Jason before you started calling arguably the best QB in the NFL a hack!

PS: It's Umenyiora, not Uminyora. Show people some respect by spelling their names correctly.

Posted by: Goomba | September 10, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, F dcsween!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

bigfish, much obliged ... like Portis, I need to knock the rust off.

Neil, nick 'ku!

Does it occur to anyone now how AWESOME it was that the Skins got Rocky McI for ONLY a second round pick? He was something like the 6th or 7th WLB picked in that draft!

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I realize Smoot didn't have the best game out there, but I don't think he did too bad considering he was against their #1 WR most of the game. I can't understand why Springs wasn't out there much of the game either.

However, smoot did pull up by our tailgate after the game with his entourage, in a white Bentley. The car was smooth. I guess he was meeting a few people over there after the game, but he was kind enough to sign our Redskins Cornhole Board before he took off. I for one am thrilled to have Smoot back home here in D.C., even if he did drop what would have been the game winning interception.

Posted by: Max | September 10, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, let's all pay our respects to the injured LB of our favorite NY team ... hasta luego, Umanana!

Posted by: dcsween | September 10, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

It would take the redskins 3 games to put up the yards and points that the Cowboys did last night.

And yes, the defense looked horrible but getting Terrance Newman and Greg Ellis back will make a huge difference and the players will get more comfortable in the new scheme over the course of the season.

Plus, it is a lot easier to make the defense better as the year goes on than to make the offense better. The redskins will have the same anemic offense that they have had since gibbs came back. Jason Campbell had a 43 passer rating yesterday, you're not going to win a lot of those games.

I know everyone thinks that was such an impressive win yesterday but watch what the Cowboys do to a weak team like the dolphins next week and you will see a beatdown. The dolphins have one of the worst offenses in the league and it still took overtime at home to win?

Weak

Posted by: Jerry Jones | September 10, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Having surpassed my expectations in week one by throttling the running game, recovering a fumble, preventing the Fins from winding up with more points than us at the end of the game, and getting not one but TWO sacks, my wish list for next week (along with continuation of all those good things) is one measly interception. (Asking for two would be greedy.) I just want to see us do it. One pick. Please.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 10, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

BTW, before you start second guessing Gibbs choice to go for it on 4th and 2, let me set the record straight. He had absolutely no intention of going for it at all. He was not going to run a play. It was a play in which he put a guy in motion to draw them offsides, and it worked to perfection. He even told the refs he would be doing this before the game. It was a blown call by the refs to call us for the false start when yoder went in motion.

Posted by: Max | September 10, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

It may be pronounced "Bigboot-TAY", but it's spelled Bigboote.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that movie. It was awesome as a kid, remarkably idiotic as an adult, and I still love it. I worked with a dude early, early, early in my career back in SF who was a neurosurgeon, software exec, and kick butt bass player. We used to call him Buckaroo.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 10, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

new post...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please show me where JLa rails against Heyer? Did I miss it?

P.S. I hear he eats Kittens as a snack.

Posted by: Skinz | September 10, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

I agree with a lot of what you said, and yes the Giants are done, but a few things...

BOTH teams looked winded, and I watched A LOT of bad games yesterday where those teams looked the same way. Let's face it, this was the first game those guys played a whole game, not just a few snaps.

JC will get better as his receivers do. Moss dropped a couple, that first pick was more on Cooley then JC, and Brandon Lloyd just plain sucks. Lloyd made no effort what so ever to catch or defend that ball. I thought they really should have thrown to Cooley more though.

"I am baffled....that Springs was on the bench."

Would you rather him be fresh for the first game of the season or at the end of the season when it really matters? As you noted many times on here, he tends to get hurt. I guarantee he plays LOTS against Philly next week.

"Trent Green had happy feet and his line was weak and Miami had no semblance of a downfield game..."

Right, but Green is still a solid starter in the NFL. That TD pass he threw was all him.

Yesterday really looked like a pre-season game to me. Give it a couple games, and if they look like this in a month....well.

Oh, and Randy Moss really looked like he lost a step yesterday didn't he? The Raiders are stupid, the best QB in the NFL now has the best WR in the NFL to throw to.

Totally dumb.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 10, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

John Riggins already called Lloyd a "loser" this morning on the radio. I have been telling everyone Lloyd is a bum. The Redskins would be so much better right now if they had a guy like Keyshawn Johnson opposite Moss right now.

Posted by: Lloyd must go | September 10, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

its good to be 1-0....many many good posts and observations.....here are mine...

first test of the offense at real game speed ( there is a big difference in the intensity) not going to rehash everything you guys have already said or nit pick....generally i am very encouraged at the run based /aggresive passing attack we are going to be rolling with each week...clearly not there yet but i like the WAY we play.

have not been worried at all about the defense been saying same for months...sunday did nothing to change my mind...we will be tough to play week in and week out....shut down the run and punish recievers underneath....that is how we will roll on D....yeah we still can't generate much with 4 rushers and our corners play with too much cushion sometimes ..... but we have speed and tackle like piranah

JC looks the part to me, thats the key to the whole thing.... he just doesn't get ratttled mistakes roll off his back... no carry over ....that is a trait of a vet not a guy who has 8 games under his belt....that translates to confidence, a confident QB is someone teamates will play for and builds the confidence of the whole..... his game is there, question is how long does it take him to put it all toghter.....Portis is in for a big season...this offense can run with power and will create running lanes out of respect for our passing game...bigger test ahead this week.

Posted by: Old School | September 10, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Wherever you go....

...there you are.

-B. Banzai

Posted by: Dik | September 10, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jerry Jones | September 10, 2007 02:35 PM

Umm, actually not. Shows how little JJ knows about football.

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 10, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd needs to change his panties. Jason Campbell gave him a chance to go get the ball, and yes it ended up as a an INT, but I don't fault Campbell. We need a quaterback who gives his receivers a chance to make a play. Brunell would have never made that throw. He would have done a two yard check down.

Catch the ball Santana...you get a pass this week!

Posted by: sicwidit | September 10, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

WE DON'T HAVE THE CAP ROOM TO CUT LLOYD.

It is what it is - it doesn't matter what you think, or how bad he is. Lloyd is this year's mini-version of cap hell. Get used to it.

Posted by: STFU | September 10, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Great Monday morning H-backing. I agree with everything you said, and said so yesterday. Except the BLloyd thing. That is very very disturbing. I guess I was so happy he wasn't making waves like he did in SF that I didn't notice he just isn't trying very hard. The other thing somebody wrote is that Santana's bad hands are troubling. Can't agree more, but I will say this, there are at least three WR's unemployed right now that are better than anyone we have except Santana (hat tip to A. Rand for a great game) and we should have one by the end of the week and let the guy go we got last week. What is his name Bodiford? Couldn't crack the game day roster? I was also a little surprised by Cooley not being more involved. The only other thing I would say that deserves a shout out is that after watching the game twice, Rocky and Fletcher are the real deal, and so is Landry. Run defense is not going to be a problem this year. Jury is still out on the pass rush/coverage combo. I am glad we have Wade, but Heyer looked right at home there as well so put Big Jon on the shelf again and root for him to be back as a back-up next year. And oh by the way as it pertains to his injury, it could be a lot worse, at least he knows he will walk again. Think about it.

Posted by: AJ | September 10, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm not to go negative on a 1-0 team.

That said, the Skins are going to have to look a lot sharper next week if they want to beat the Iggles at the Linc.

BTW, I don't there was any intention of leaving Cooley or Moss out of things. The Dolphins smothered those guys and Campbell and Randle-El made them pay, big time. Merely have two viable wideouts (+ Cooley) creates a big dilemma for defenses, I'd say. I'm guessing that Moss has a big week next week.

Posted by: ChrisO | September 10, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Good win.

For the first time in a while the Skins offensive, defensive, and special teams units supported each other rather than working at cross purposes. None were spectacular, but all were good enough to get the job done.

The biggest surprise was the offensive performance against a good Miami defense. The offense was able to move the ball pretty well. Even in the case of Campbell's INT in the 2nd half, it came at the end of a 4 minute drive, which kept the defense off the field, and it didn't put the Skins D with it's back against its own goal line.

It looks like the biggest hurdle that this Skins team will face is with its defensive line play. Aside from Carter's sack these guys put no pressure on the QB; and on a few running plays the DTs were beaten badly. The second level support had to save the day. Against a better offense this will leave the Skins D open to play action again, and again, and again.

On offense it would probably help if the Skins also had a large possession receiver to take Lloyd's place. (Keyshawn Johnson perhaps?)

On balance I see this as a slightly above average team with the chance to end the year at 9 and 7 give or take a W.

The team though is still probably three or four starters away from being a truly serious contender.

Posted by: JPT | September 10, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The main thing about the "abrupt movement" call is that we ran that play in the preseason (same 4th and short situation, as I recall), and the refs called offsides. So, given that the refs had given their okay to that play a couple weeks earlier, Gibbs had every right to be upset about them switching and calling it on the offense here.

Also, I'd never even heard of an "abrupt movement" call, but it can't just be that the offense was penalized for trying to "trick" the defense, as someone posted earlier; offenses try to trick defenses all the time--what else is a hard count?

Posted by: Jake | September 10, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Why try

Telling us about Jansen's pop and crackle ankle, yeeee haaaa!

This is absolute garbage! inside info dude!

Posted by: nonon | September 10, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The only reason Coach kicked on first down is that he knew --without a doubt -- that S-man would nail it. Furthermore, most of his kickoffs were in the endzone, a rarity around here until this year. That is huge. Given our recent past, a reliable long-range kicker alone is worth 2-3 wins.

As far as FlossCandy, the comments his SF teammates made during his last season and at trade time, strongly implied that he is a stoner. Lots of talent, no grit! Given the positive reports from training camp I thought he might have cleaned up his act. Obviously not!

Miami has a great defense and a great defensive coordinator. He obviously came up with a game plan designed to take Moss and Cooley out of the game. Not a bad idea because we clearly demonstrated last year that we had no third passing option. It appears that now we do!

Skins go 10-6, play in NFC Championship game. Anything can happen.

Posted by: Doug Wesebago | September 10, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Does Brandon Lloyd have a vagina?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 10, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more with Jasno's Redskin take. WTF is Shawn Springs doing on the sidelines while Smoot and Rogers are continuously not making plays? This looks like a Lavar type thing.

CP, you da man!

Posted by: bangkokben | September 11, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

This is coming in late, but I had to say something. I was at the game. I watched Brandon Lloyd running downfield on the interception. He gave up on the route. Slowed down to a jog and when he saw Campbell release the ball he took off at full speed again. The DB never gave up on the play, but Lloyd did. I know they had to see this in game film and I'm surprised he's still on the team.

Posted by: Mike Diamond | September 11, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse