Monday Morning H-Back

There was nothing pretty about that one, right down to Ladell Betts' fumble. But you've got to take it and run. There are some areas of concern, but that's a game the Skins could have lost and the kind of game they have given away in recent years.

There were a lot of unsung heroes - DT Lorenzo Alexander chief among them - and a few guys who struggled (Jon Jansen in pass pro; Shaun Suisham missing another make-able field goal; Demetric Evans, Jason Taylor and anyone else who lined up at defensive end and tried to play the run). But I thought the coaches made sage adjustments on both sides of the ball, and gutted it out.

Clinton Portis was slamming that thing in the second half, as Coach Joe would say, and doing it despite another injury. The Seahawks' D was gassed (they spent nearly 39 minutes on the field), and Portis was slashing them with quick cutbacks. He went 10 carries for 67 yards in the fourth quarter, with runs of 20, 11, 9 and 8 yards. When you know Portis was really hurting, that huge.

Zorn clearly wanted to go West Coast bigtime against his old team, lining up in four wide to start the game, often with trips to the right, and wanting to spread it around. Then Jason Campbell started getting whacked around - sacked twice on the second drive of the game - and Zorn got back to the Midwest Coast real quick, establishing the run and using that to carry the day. And when he needed a big play, he went back to his roots, going five wide on some third downs, calling some big slip screens for Santana Moss on third downs, going with a spread formation around the goal line.

On defense, Greg Blache went against what had been a conservative nature and blitzed like a demon, especially on third down. He even got the corners involved and ran some overloads and fire zones that would have made Gregg Williams proud. They could not let Matt Hasselbeck get too comfortable and figured they could beat up those smaller receivers in press man - true to form, they rarely gained separation - and cover with just two or three guys, and use seven to nine guys to attack the QB. Guys like Alexander, Chris Horton and Rocky McIntosh were effective on the blitz and cover guys like Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot shined as they have virtually all season.

Despite all of that, the margin for error was slim as ever.

Had the Skins not crushed it on third down (they converted half of their chances; Seattle started 0-6, finished 3-for-10 and had only one significant conversion in the game), they wouldn't have won. Despite holding Seattle to 228 total yards, running 30 more plays than the Seahawks (yes, you read that correctly) and holding the ball for nearly 39 minutes, it came down to the end.

And that's with the Skins winning the turnover battle (2-1). Weird. Bottom line, as always, was not enough points. Seems like we don't see guys getting into the end zone off of long plays - whether via the run or the pass - and Coach Joe used to aspire to three TDs per game, which remains elusive.

The Redskins had no plays of more than 24 yards - that has been a problem - and it was the same old story with no ancillary receivers making plays besides Moss (well, Antwaan Randle El, when he shows up in the slot; as an outside receiver he's not very effective, which makes him more of a 3 than a 2, to me). I thought Campbell had another quality outing, especially once he was given better protection, and once Zorn went to the run, which set up play action.

After going 11-of-21 for just 91 yards in the first half (with some key drops from Moss and Cooley), JC went 9-for-12 for 115 yards and a TD. He's still more efficient than explosive, but given the inability of the line to really pass protect on seven-step drops, and the lack of a vertical element in recent weeks, that'll get the job done.

He spread the ball around to seven guys, and while Fred Davis sat and Devin Thomas played almost exclusively special teams, rookie WR Malcolm Kelly caught a few passes and was featured in most packages of three receivers or more.

As for defense, stopping the run will be the big concern. A week after Marion Barber went for 114, including running rampant on the Skins in the fourth quarter, Maurice Morris got 103 without even really trying on just seven carries. The perimeter rush plugging was weak, with Demetric Evans having an off game and the rest of the bunch at that position not especially stout at it. The Redskins probably can't and won't have to play as much nickel against the Giants, which means more three-linebacker sets and more of a stacked box against the Giants, with the best rushing attack in the league.

If they get gashed at anything close to this rate Sunday, the Giants will cruise.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 24, 2008; 8:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moss Puts Incident Behind Him
Next: JZ, Sir Mix-A-Lot and Rush Limbaugh

Comments

Any news on the D-line Injuries (and Fletch and CP?)

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 24, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Firsty?

Posted by: sloozebury | November 24, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"and a few guys who struggled (Jon Jansen in pass pro;"

surprise, surprise

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

let's hope Jacobs sits this week.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 24, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Anyone in the PA area, York Adams Lancaster and more, did you get jobbed on seeing the game like me?

I use the 506.com which has been very reliable. THe only time they were wrong was last year in our game against Arizona, they showed the skins being shown, but whnen i turned the tv on, it was the giants. Again yesterday this happened with the giants.

Even comcasts lineup showed the skins being played. they seem to make the decision at the last second.

So I emplore any skins fans in that area, call your local fox affilaite and B@TCH!!

The 506 said the harrisburg area switched from a Bmore first to PItt first because so many pitt fans complained. time for us to do the same. there has to be more skins fans here than ny fans.

Rant off

Posted by: Zeebs | November 24, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I wish Zorn would have used Thomas and Kelly on the field at the same time. They're not going to get comfortable, and JC isn't going to develop rapport with them, unless they're running plays for these guys.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but Zorn HAS TO get Betts more involved, fumble aside. If the team makes the playoffs, Portis will be running on FUMES when the year ends.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Ummm one would think we lost. I don't care if we just score 3 points as long as we win.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 24, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone would disagree with you here. The only thing I might add is that it is hard to get LB going because both he and our line is terrible. Betts runs for about a yard two times in a row and puts the O in a third and long. People are mistaking the success of CP with a good line, never fall for that.

Portis makes it rain.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 24, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

jm, lol, it did have that feel to it, didn't it.

"Had the Redskins not crushed it on third down"

Um...is that how it works, you pick something and act like it didn't happen?

Isn't there a saying about if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Maybe early in the game. Whenever Betts been in the game with anything on the line he fumbles. Every year!!!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 24, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Rooks make mistakes and JC is a very ball protection minded QB. He needs a lot of time to get some trust in the new guys. The fade he threw to Kelly was a perfect example. It was a safer than needed throw coupled with Kellys poor fade. That "just run to the end zone" type of fade doesn't work in the NFL. It has to be run correctly.

Posted by: Pleepleus | November 24, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Betts is NOT "terrible" in the least.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

We won, CP proved yet again that he is the man. Midwest coast offense worked out for us, am I the only one interested in us getting a Rookie RB in the next 2 years to replace Betts at this point?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Campb also through that Deep shot to the endzone to Kelly where Kelly seemed to pull up on the rout a bit too soon and the ball landed a yard in the endzone where he was on the 10 yard line in man to man coverage.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

The pea soup reference by Zorn makes me wonder if he was thinking of The Exorcist.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 24, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

ok done complaining. Everyone cast off thy lanyards of darkness and despair and adorn thy lanyard of triumph.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Skins should definitely look at drafting a RB in the mid or later rounds.

I hope they don't try to draft one with their first pick. Ugh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"But you've got to take it [the win] and run". What's negative about that guys?

I watched as much of the game as I could stand - being in tres bad mood after the debacle with the Pats - and it seemed strange that Holmgren allowed Hasselbeck to throw at all in the game, he looked awful. He just seemed off the pace and skittish the whole game.

And I'm sure that Blache will be a little concerned at conceding 17 points to that Seattle team when they only had the ball for 21 minutes. Your secondary looked phenomenal yesterday; the rest of the defense? Not so much.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I am with you Alex and wasn't happy when we resign the guy.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 24, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Rant off

Posted by: Zeebs | November 24, 2008 8:54 AM

I'm with you Zeebs. I live in Harrisburg and somehow we end up with the Giants game. I think it was a better matchup and local Fox affiliate wanted that. But you could do what I do: check the Fox 43 schedule when the season starts and see which games will be aired there and map out when you'll have to go out and see the game. I go to Zembies on 2nd Street in Harrisburg; the owner is a Skins fan and there's a pretty good group of Skins fans there for the game. But considering we're not in a Skins market, getting 11 games on regular TV is pretty good.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 24, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

No gripes with JLa this morning (surprisingly); I pretty much agree with his whole take.

On Offense:

Stalling drives in the red zone is a big concern. We've been talking about this for weeks and weeks. I wish someone would ask Zorn straight up why we're not looking for Cooley around the goal line.

I like seeing Sellers more involved (despite the Carlos Rogers that he pulled on that potential 2nd TD pass - again, if it is Cooley running that play it is a TD!). Can we cut Shaun Alexander already?

I saw them try to throw a couple of fades to Malcolm Kelly. They still need to work on chemistry, but I like the idea alot.

I like NOT seeing Devin Thomas on the field. Fewer penalties, and he should have to earn PT with hardwork, discipline, and showing that he understands the offense - not just getting thrown in there by default because we've got no one else healthy.

On Defense:

It looks like teams have found something by attacking the edges with the run. It's one thing for Marion Barber to be successful at it; it's another thing when Maurice Morris is gashing us.

2 weeks in a row Horton has been beat in pass coverage for a TD by a tight end...just sayin'.

The strength of this team is definitely the DBs. I like when we go 3 safeties - Horton can attack the line of scrimmage, Springs can drop in coverage, LL can play deep safety. I hope to see us do this more.

I like seeing Taylor move around. We need to figure out how to get him productive, and I applaud the willingness on Blache's part to break his mold and experiment a little.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

rc, the pats/phins game was entertaining, so you've got that going for you. I was really pulling for your guys, Joey Porter was no where all game long. I was somewhat impressed however, the phins have made a big turn around from last year, you guys have a good future.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Skins should definitely look at drafting a RB in the mid or later rounds.

I hope they don't try to draft one with their first pick. Ugh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

-------------

Really, Truth? Not even if it's your boy Knowshon?

Posted by: Good2bOK | November 24, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"I like NOT seeing Devin Thomas on the field. Fewer penalties, and he should have to earn PT with hardwork, discipline, and showing that he understands the offense - not just getting thrown in there by default because we've got no one else healthy"

Good call p1, you'd hate for a guy to develop some rapport with JC, and actually turn into a viable weapon on offense.
When was the last game he got a penalty? What was it 5-6 weeks ago? None of this portion of your post makes sense.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else hate the name "Midwest Offense" very lame. Its Chesapeake Bay offense already!!!!

Does anyone else think Lorenzo Alexander might be the best DT on the team?

Lots of injuries on the D line yesterday.....

Kelly leapfrogged the world on the depth chart huh?

Janso is dead right about one thing. ARE needs to be the 3rd WR/Slot guy. He is a waste of space on the outside.

People who bash Moss are idiots. Its FB, your hitting eachother, tempers flare. Dude rulz, has a good head 99.99 of the time, I cut him a break on that one.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 24, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2008 9:09 AM

Nope. I'll side with you on that. Of course, everyone thought I was crazy in the preseason when I said that if Marcus Mason stays it should be Betts and not Rock to go. I'm not so crazy now, am I?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 24, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

As I was saying last night, the players need to approach this Giants game as a must-win. They have to bring the same fire to this one that they brought to Dallas and Philly in those magical two weeks... and they have to know they can beat this team.

After we beat the Eagles I was pretty sure we'd beat the Giants in the rematch... but since we started playing poopy I've had this one down as an "L" for the Skins... but I remain enveloped in fanaticism after being at the game yesterday, so I'm shifting to positivity.

Redskins 21, Giants 10 in a classic NFC East matchup.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 24, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"I am with you Alex and wasn't happy when we resign the guy.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage"

Our resigning him is irrelevant right now.

We have him and he's our best backup RB, so we need to get him some carries.

Zero chance this team wins a playoff game is Portis runs for 29 carries per game the rest of the year. Portis will be lucky to make it through the season at this pace.

Ideally I'd like to have about 5 carries from Rock\Sellers, 7-10 carries for Betts, and about 15-20 for Portis. We can give Shaun Alexander one carry at QB every game and just let him kneel it cause that dude is god awful this late in his career.

This would be another reason to look at the Wildcat. And I'm not completely sold on it, but if we gave someone else like ARE 1 or 2 carries a game, that would help take the load off Portis.

This could honestly be the year that starts a decline in Portis's career.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

JLC - Enough about the Seattle win. Now you can get onto what you've been waiting 2 weeks for: telling everyone how the Giants are better than the 70's Steelers and that the Redskin have about as much of a chance against them as a local high school team does.

It is the perfect week for you to (once again) unleash your bias against the Skins. Have at it you d-bag.

HTTR

Posted by: PASkinsFan2 | November 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah CP rulz. All time great Skin....some D-Bag was up here bashing him 5 minutes after the game for "taking himself out" thus allowing Betts to fumble.....strait retard stuff...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

"Really, Truth? Not even if it's your boy Knowshon?

Posted by: Good2bOK"

well I'd love to see Knowshon in a Skins uniform but it wouldn't be a value pick based off what we need to me.

That said you wouldn't hear me complaining too much.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 24, 2008 9:28 AM

Agreed, CL. It's not like we're talking about Ocho Stinko or Michael Westbrook here. Moss is a guy that's level headed and if he resorted to punching a guy he had it coming.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg

I agree with you there. Zorn has got to lighten the load on Portis, or he will be done by the end of the season. It seems like he picks up a new injury every week, and although he's been able to play so far, how long will he last?

Posted by: psps23 | November 24, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Marcus Mason = SA37's Roster Spot

No? He dosen't play any special teams and he RARELY gets in the game. This would have been a good time to have him.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 24, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"Ideally I'd like to have about 5 carries from Rock\Sellers, 7-10 carries for Betts, and about 15-20 for Portis"

Couldn't agree more with this line of thinking.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

He had a penalty last week against the Cowboys. Where have you been?
And all these calls for getting another RB are getting ridiculous. Betts is still one of the best backups in the leagues. Just don't give him the ball late in the game.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 24, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Rapport is what practice is for. He's had 10 weeks to build "game-time" rapport w/ JC and the results are what exactly? Last week was the biggest game of his career with a whopping 3 catches for 14 yards, and he did fail to cover up Jansen at the line of scrimmage on a play resulting in illegal formation.

I'm all for giving Kelly a shot now that he's healthy, but Thomas has had plenty of opportunities and has failed to take steps forward. At this point we are applauding him if he runs the proper route and doesn't draw a penalty, and that's sad.

BTW, given that Thomas got NO snaps with the offense yesterday, the coaches would probably say that I'm making a bit more "sense" than you at this point.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Non Football post"

For you Basketball fans the Wizards just fired Eddie Jordan.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Also a great story from Florida State if you haven't read it or heard about it yet. Mryon Rolle putting the student back in student athlete, missing the first half of the Maryland game because he was interviewing for the Rhodes Scholarship :

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Skins should definitely look at drafting a RB in the mid or later rounds.

I hope they don't try to draft one with their first pick. Ugh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 24, 2008 9:18 AM

I don't see why not. If they continue to ignore drafting big bodies along the line of scrimmage, then why not take a RB that can share carries with Portis now and supplant him as the starter when he breaks down in a year or two?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 24, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

That said you wouldn't hear me complaining too much.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Blogers not complaining is like Vinny/Danny not addressing a position of need with their top three picks. :-)

Posted by: alex35332 | November 24, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

That is a great story about Rolle, Maryland showed there true colors against Florida State.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"Non Football post"

For you Basketball fans the Wizards just fired Eddie Jordan.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 24, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Great. Firing Eddie means the Wizards are now in the market for a marquee big man and it means they're going to rescind the $111 mill they gave gimpy Gilby...

...never mind, no it doesn't. Ernie is more on the hook for this atrocious Wiz team than Eddie, but I guess throwing Eddie under the bus is one way to divert people's attention from that for now.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

BTW, similar to the Arizona, NO, and Dallas games earlier this year, this game was won because Zorn did NOT rely on Portis to set the tone (you read that right). The tone was set through the passing game early on, and even though the passing game wasn't super-effective, Zorn never abandoned the deep threats. Portis' game was wide open late in the second half as a result.

4th quarter: 15 rushes, 5 passes. That's how the Redskins win. Open it up early, pound them late. The "midwest coast" offense is not as simple as looking at the run/pass ratio. It's when the running game is effective and used, and when the passing game is effective and used that are the keys to this offense.

Posted by: psps23 | November 24, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Beantown,

totally agree with utilizing Betts more. If Zorn can mix Betts in a few series and allow CP to rest, may make a big difference. Anyone who has played running back knows that it's tough to get into any kind of groove when getting a single carry here and there.

Very curious about injury status...any word?

Posted by: cosomfla | November 24, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

p1, so based on your logic, what has kelly done to deserve pt, because Thomas has been playing on Teams all year long. The penalty was, as has been previously discussed not Thomas's fault, but keep believing what you need to.

Again, using your logic, this was the biggest game of Kelly's career, and he had 2 catches for 12 yards so your logic makes no sense.

My point is that the offense needs to throw them the ball PERIOD. Thomas isn't running the wrong routes, thats never been stated by the coach. They need to get the ball to the rooks to take the pressure off of Cooley/Moss.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 24, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Entertaining, schmentertaining. I'm not worried that we lost so much as HOW. And Porter was always going to disappear in one game this year, why did it have to be this one?

Anyway, I'm not happy with improvement - you hear me?? We should be 10-1 and already in the playoffs!! :)

This week might be a little ugly for you guys, the Giants do look a lot like men against boys in their games lately, but if you can get through it healthy and competitive, you'll probably only have Balmer to worry about the rest of the way.

Any chance tat Portis is active but sits for most of the game this week? If he's active the Gints have to game plan for him, but maybe Zorn rests him up because he will need to be studly against the Ravens.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 24, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Bean,

I'm not talking about the 12-man huddle. The illegal formation penalty that got called on Jansen later in the game WAS Thomas's fault. He was not up to the line of scrimmage to cover Jansen.

Kelly got 2 catches for 12 yards in his FIRST full game action.

Last week Thomas got 3 catched for 14 yards in his TENTH game.

There is a logical difference.

Especially when the reports from Redskins Park seem to be that Kelly "gets it", but just can't stay healthy, whereas Thomas does not.

Posted by: p1funk | November 24, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I know that Fletcher said they were concentrating on stopping the pass. That doesn't excuse the numbers they allowed, but it definitely seemed the were more focused on their passing game. The biggest concern is that we seem to implode in the red zone. Some of it is the play calling, but most of it is execution.

One more thing. Special Teams has been an issue for this team for a long time with one common denominator...

Danny Smith

Posted by: grittar1 | November 24, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

When are we going to start auditioning new kickers? I like Suisham, but missing short from 43 yards? After his miss against Dallas, just ridiculous. And his kickoffs have never been long enough.

Posted by: jaebersole | November 24, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

not looking forward to the Gmen at this point. The injuries we sustanined, specifically to kedric, is huge.

Posted by: overzealous08 | November 24, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Well JLC,

You picked them to lose, so I suppose they surpassed YOUR expectations regardless of your post here.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 24, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

What's happened to Suisham? He started the season like a beast - kickoffs way into the end zone. Last week that FG attempt fell about 10 yards short, and clanging the upright yesterday? And kickoffs are landing on the 5 or 10 yard line. Is he hurt? What gives?

Posted by: kranosaur | November 24, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse