Skins-Cowboys: Monday Morning H-Back

That was something, eh? Another highly entertaining football game, regardless of any rooting interest, and another outstanding win. Three in a row is nothing to scoff at (the only times I recall Gibbs winning four in a row during his second stint was December 2005 and December 2007). As usual in a victory such as this, there are plenty of kudos to go around.

Zorn and his offensive staff called another outstanding game. They weathered some pressure problems early, again had success throwing out of a balanced I formation when things got dicey against the pass rush, and I loved some of the playcalling inside the 5, going with more motion. Second straight week the calculated use of motion paid off with a TD pass, with Zorn much more judicious about how and when he utilizes the tactic. James Thrash's cuts back and forth before the snap led directly to his TD, with CB Terrence Newman falling down on the play.

Zorn's play-calling was balanced - 37 rushes, 31 passes - and he mixed it up nicely when the team got the lead. The big plays downfield that I thought would be there were there, and Zorn again trusted his young QB and was willing to put the game in his hands, playing to Jason Campbell's strengths with some of the deep stuff.

As for the offense overall, the Skins controlled the ball throughout the game. They again won a decisive battle in time of possession - 38:09 to 21:51 - and the lack of an offensive turnover all season is, to me, the most significant stat of this young season. The Redskins had not gone four games without turning it over on offense since 1990, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, and to maintain that kind of streak while on the road under these conditions was surprising (you just figure after a while someone gives one up). Campbell was nailed a few times early and still managed to hold onto the ball; a year ago in that situation, he probably would have fumbled. There was one botched exchange with Ladell Betts, and even then JC caught the bobbled ball and ran it up the gut for a gain.

Jon Jansen filled in well for Stephon Heyer at right tackle and you cannot convince me that the enhanced ability to run with power and efficiency to the right side was not directly related to his presence. Dallas has a huge front seven and you've got to be a street fightin' man to run against them. Jansen did a great job on the ground and was stout against the pass as well, with DeMarcus Ware wreaking havoc on the left side of the line (not sure why Dallas didn't move Ware around more and have him switch sides more)

Zorn juggled Portis and Ladell Betts frequently (the heat was a major factor and the sweeping substitution patterns of the offensive and defensive coaches was vital to this win). Betts got a lot of work in the third quarter, Portis was strong in the fourth and he essentially killed the game and the Cowboys with seven rushes for 34 yards in the fourth quarter. Portis was a key contributor, having his best game by far at Texas Stadium and averaging 5.8 per carry against a team that has stifled him at times in the past.

(Skins win the turnover battle, Skins average half a yard better per carry, Skins attempt 16 fewer passes, Skins play with a lead most of the game. Up here, that's how you win football games, folks. That's the script for NFL success).

Santana Moss has rediscovered his 2005 form. He's playing with swagger and confidence and he's obvious more healthy than he has been in years. He's getting behind safeties relatively easily and there's no doubt that he's the guy JC wants to go to first. With Chris Cooley being asked to help block a lot against such powerful defensive lines these past few weeks, Moss's ability to be a big-play guy has been critical. When the NFL stats come out later this morning, I would not be surprised to see Moss leading the league in receiving yards. This was his second monster game of the season. He had 145 yards receiving; the rest of the team had 86.

And, last but never least as far as the offense was concerned, Campbell was a stud. He was so cool and calm under duress, he found his secondary options through the entire game, he was superb executing three-step drops against this fearsome front seven - quick release was often the key. When plays broke down Campbell avoided the rush, felt that backside pressure before it got to him and was nothing short of superb stepping up into the pocket. He had a rating over 100 again (108.4) and to play so well on the road in such a big game will have converted what non-believers may still be out there.

(At some point in the next 4-6 weeks I would expect the Skins to start talking contract with this guy. As we've blogged about a lot in the past, you don't let potential franchise QBs dangle too long, or you end up giving them a Romo-type contract. JC's deal is up after next season, and the more proactive you are in situations like this, the better. I would imagine there could be some exploratory talks by the bye week. Just my hunch there.)

Defensively, Greg Blache and his staff juggled personnel expertly, they again threw a ton of coverages at the Cowboys and shunned the blitz for the most part (which probably had something to do with the lack of big plays against them). Romo is too good and too quick to be beaten that way, in general. The Skins' secondary should start to get some hardcore street cred around the league now after what they've accomplished the last three weeks against some bigtime passing teams.

Springs was a beast on T.O. until he got hurt. There were times for much of the second quarter when Romo didn't even look at his side of the field. Springs was very physical with T.O., and it seemed to me the WR gave up on his routes at times and simply didn't want any part of the game. T.O.'s bud Jimmy Farris, a former Skin and former teammate of Owens, was watching on TV and sent me this text around the half: "Springs is ALL OVER TO!!! Sean was REALLY ready for this game!" I'll second that.

Chris Horton again showed his quickness and instincts on his interception. He was caught out of position on the TD to Witten - the coverage stuff is a problem for rookie safeties, and that will come - but he made up for it with his coverage of Witten throughout the game and that turnover provided a massive swing.

I hear the Skins are worried about Marcus Washington's hip, and he struggled at times. Weird not seeing him in the nickel package, but with the shorter and quicker DBs excelling in coverage, his role is limited now. Most of the defenders flourished. Blache rotated eight guys out on D Line most of the day and for long stretches rookie Rob Jackson subbed for Andre Carter on the edge. Jackson had a heck of an outing to my eyes. Quite a debut. LaRon Landry excelled at giving Romo confusing looks with his pre-snap movement and that helped shut down Dallas's "check with me" run game at the line, as Romo was unsure how many guys were in the box and who was being doubled.

I thought Dallas playcaller Jason Garrett had an off day as well. They didn't give the run much of a chance to work, with Marion Barber getting so few carries. Was stunned there were not more screen passes to Barber and the fact that Felix Jones never touched the ball aside from special teams was a real shocker. The few times he and Barber lined up together in the backfield early the Skins had some trouble, but Dallas got away from that formation after the first few drives.

And I thought Garrett catered too much to T.O. Everybody knows that T.O. will pout if he doesn't get the ball early (note how often he gets the first ball of each half), but Garrett seemd to bend to him too much by calling those runs for him to start the second half and that succession of slants. Dallas has too many weapons to focus on one guy, especially on a day when he was generally smothered by Springs, and then Carlos Rogers after Shawn got hurt.

On special teams, Durant Brooks had his best day as a pro by far. Superior hang time for the most part. Great job of pinning Dallas deep a few times (two of his four punts downed inside the 20). Not sure how Shaun Suisham managed to get so much more power into his kickoffs - he told me during camp he worked out harder and actually kicked far less frequently in the offseason, trying to build up and conserve his leg.

I could go on a bit more here, and wish I could, but my plane is boarding now. As I mentioned last week, the Eagles are reeling a bit now through injuries and otherwise, and they look a bit vulnerable ahead of the Skins' visit. Plenty to churn over in the days ahead, as always. Each week is like a mini-season in this league, and coaches generally divide the schedule into quarters. Coming through this difficult first leg 3-1 provides a nice cushion, and with a succession of lightweights coming to FedEx Field in October, the Skins seem intent on making this an interesting season.

...

If it's Monday, there must be chats. Mike Wilbon will be up at 1:15 with Cindy Boren following at 2:30.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 29, 2008; 6:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Star War: Tank Rips Rock
Next: Unrestricted Audio; K. Campbell's a Daddy

Comments

Wow, first an hour and a half in?

Posted by: R_Milot | September 29, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow, first an hour and a half in?

Posted by: R_Milot | September 29, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins!!

Posted by: joeblazin | September 29, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, where is everybody?

Posted by: joeblazin | September 29, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

anyone awake yet on the right coast?

Posted by: skinsfan8KaboveMSL | September 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

No bashin' from the JLaDeDa? Hard to bash after a win like that. I'm still giddy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I think the times must be off. I think that summed up the game nicely, granted it took almost 15 minutes to read the thing.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Agreed, and Agreed. Loved what I saw out of the running game, and the breakdown of the carries, 21-portis/11 betts, that just make SOOOO MUCH SENSE to me.

Loved that Jansen was back, and that the team could run to the right. I thought they went either up the middle, or to the right a lot in the fourth quarter, which is huge. He needs to piss in Heyer's cheerios, and teach him how to be mean, and nasty.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

JLC good comments on the game, on the Witten TD he was being covered by Washington and Washington looks very slow and seems to have lost a step.

He has played great but maybe time to get someone else in the game at that spot.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Where are all you JC haters? All of you that trash my man and talked about oh we will see what he does next week. I told you he will be a beast!

Where are all you Carlos haters? Once again I said he will be fine and give him some time!

And I can't believe I am about to say this. But maybe Vinny knew what he was talking about when he pushed for Zorn as HC. I know you hate that JLC and would never admit that maybe he knew what he was talking about.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Agreed, and agreed, with everything written above.

Loved seeing Jansen out there, he needs to teach young Mr. Heyer how to be a mean, and nasty cuss....

Loved the splits in carries for the running game, to me, thats just being smart, and utilizing your assets in a more efficient manner.

So Horton had another good game, Jackson had quite a debut, and Brooks had his best game. Interesting......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Jason - Seriously -Do just a little research before making any claims at this point.

Gibbs started off the 2005 season 3-0 as well.

So that's 3 times he won 3 in row during 4 seasons.

Posted by: toddk29 | September 29, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the 2 posts, I'm just giddy with this win.

Aikman talked about MWash losing a step during the broadcast. I have to agree, he's at the age where everything might be catching up with him.

Loved Horton making that INT. HUGE. PLAY.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I guess noone expected the 7am posting.

Three-straight kneel-down victories!! Yaaaah!!!

Extra-super HTTR!!!

Posted by: R_Milot | September 29, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I love the commitment to the run but I have to admit that I was nervous seeing Betts get so many carries down the stretch. It seemed like a perfect scenario for him to cough it up.

I guess old habits die hard.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: icetotalpackage | September 29, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I guess old habits die hard.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I guess old habits die hard.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 29, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Toddk29 -
I think Jason's point is that the Skins now have an opportunity to win 4 in a row this weekend -- something Gibbs 2.0 did only twice.

Regardless, exciting time given all the coaching and administrative changes this past yr.

Eagles are definitely vulnerable.

Posted by: M00SE | September 29, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

2 Thumbs up to JC for that performance. That would have been a great showing in any game (108.4 QB Rating), but on the road in Dallas makes that super-start showing.

Posted by: Syrinx2112 | September 29, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

2 Thumbs up to JC for that performance. That would have been a great showing in any game (108.4 QB Rating), but on the road in Dallas makes that super-star showing.

Posted by: Syrinx2112 | September 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I consider myself loyal to our players too a fault. But I agree with Flounder, Washington had trouble covering Halfwitten. Lucky for us LJ smith next week is in the bottom 1/3 TEs in the division and should be no problem. We have 3 TE's stronger faster and smarter, than Smith.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Marcus has been hinderd by injuries for a few years now. He is never 100% healthy. He is a great player who still has a bunch of good years left if he can get past it. That being said, if anyone on the team was playing better than he is right now I think they would be starting.

Posted by: Pleepleus | September 29, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

HAIL Skins...BOO JLaC!

Posted by: jontp007 | September 29, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Lots to celebrate, lots to hate-on (re: Cowboys).

1) Moss is BOSS. When he's healthy, he's uncoverable.

2) Terence Newman is picking up my dry cleaning right now.

3) Do the 'Girls have a Pro Bowl back? I keep missing him in these games. It couldn't be that Barber character, could it?

4) The malignant team tumor known as T.O. came out of remission yesterday.

5)Kudos to our secondary - no big plays - and that was a key to the game.

6) Skins O-line owned that 4th quarter drive to kill the game. Good old fashion slobber-knocking with plenty of runs up the middle.

7) My last memory of Texas Stadium: Jerry Jones trying to whince with dismay through his botoxed face after Sam Hurd muffs the onside.

Posted by: p1funk | September 29, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is working great with JC, I am listening to comments on 980 from Zorn it is great how he gives JC credit but then says he left a couple on the field he should have had.

He is keeping this kid grounded a QB should never be to hyped or to low, he needs to stay composed and lead the team.

JLC call the owner of the team that your executive source works for and tell him he needs to fire that guy, for saying JC can not play in this offense, what a crock of sh!t.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the 2 posts, I'm just giddy with this win.

Loved Horton making that INT. HUGE. PLAY.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

1) Moss is BOSS.

2) I heard the 'Girls have a ProBowl back...why don't they ever suit him up for these games?

3) No big plays given up; No turnovers.

4) The malignant team tumor T.O. has come out of remission - lovin' it.

5) I dropped off my dry cleaning this morning, and it was Terence Newman who gave me my ticket.

6) Good old fashion clock-eating, slobber-knocking, run-down-up-the-middle-and-you-can't-stop-it 4th quarter drive to essentially kill the game.

7) My last memory of Texas Stadium: Jerry Jones fighting through the Botox to make a disappointed facial expression after Hurd muffs the onside.

8) If Tank really started an altercation with Rock, then I'm calling Tank's probation officer.

HAIL!

Posted by: p1funk | September 29, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

p1funk,

Agreed,

Hey JC is 4th in the league in passer rating and is the only starting QB not to have thrown an Int.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double posts...had to add my thought on Tank. Can't let these out-on-probation Cowboys get away with starting altercations.

Posted by: p1funk | September 29, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Floundm

JC is also No 1 QB for NFC east in rating.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

From Peter King's first quarter of the season "awards":

Coach of the Quarter: Jim Zorn, Washington. Think back to when he was picked. "Snyder's a loon!'' you thought. Well, you might still think that, but you can't argue with the results. For the first time in four years, Jason Campbell finally looks like the long-term answer at quarterback, and Zorn's tutelage is a big reason. For the second time in 11 years, Washington won at Dallas. And for the first time in ages, Washingtonians aren't looking for Joe Gibbs to ride in on his white horse to save the season.

Nice...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Of course, PeKing also ranked the Skins two spots below the Cowboys in his weekly rankings... so whatevs...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 29, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Rams fired there coach posting story for Beantowngreg:

ST. LOUIS -- The winless St. Louis Rams fired coach Scott Linehan on Monday, the day after a fourth straight lopsided loss to start the season.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett will replace Linehan on an interim basis, Rams spokesman Rick Smith said.

Linehan, just four games into his third season, had an overall 11-25 record in his first head coaching job. The Rams have been outscored 147-43 this season, and have allowed at least 30 points in seven straight games dating back to last year.

The Rams scheduled a news conference later Monday. ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen first reported the firing.

The move was made heading into the Rams' bye week and several hours after the Buffalo Bills outscored them 25-0 in the second half of a 31-14 victory Sunday.

St. Louis has lost 17 of its last 20 games overall.

Linehan

Haslett
The 0-4 start is the second straight for the Rams, who lost their first eight games last year en route to a 3-13 finish that landed them with the second pick in the draft.

A sign at Sunday's home game read: "Congress. Now bail out the Rams."

Haslett was fired as coach of the New Orleans after the 2005 season, and joined the Rams on Linehan's first staff in 2006.

The Linehan era was mostly a dreary time for the franchise, especially on the heels of the wild highs and lows of predecessor Mike Martz, who helped the Rams win their lone Super Bowl after the 1999 season and led them to a second Super Bowl as coach in the 2001 season.

The Rams were 8-8 in 2006, Linehan's first season. The team rallied to win four of its last six games after Linehan turned over play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Greg Olson.

Numerous offensive line injuries, beginning with seven-time Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace's season-ending shoulder injury in the opener, paved the way for last year's poor season. Linehan reclaimed play-calling duties that year after three games.

Linehan, 45, again relinquished the play-calling this season after replacing Olson with Al Saunders, among several moves in a staff overhaul. Other changes were made, with training camp moved to a remote location in Mequon, Wis., and Linehan attempting to inject more energy into a his low-key personality.

On Sunday, he benched quarterback Marc Bulger, the highest-paid player in franchise history, and went with 38-year-old backup Trent Green. That was one of six lineup changes for the Bills game.

None of it worked.

Linehan knew his job was in jeopardy Sunday, having been put on notice by new owner Chip Rosenbloom. He emptied the playbook, going for first downs twice on fourth down and using a handful of trick plays with a juggled lineup led by Green.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 29, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I just came back from meetings in the district. All of my clients are there. I wore a suit and a Skins hat! Even with the Bailout proposal on the table and crisis, its like we won the SB down there! Street vendors high fiving me was pretty cool...

Posted by: Club320 | September 29, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 29, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Philly will be desperate for a win, we must be as focused as we were for dallas. Hopefully Westbrook sits out next week too.

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 29, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like DC after this win. Every conversation on the street is about the game. People showing their red.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Flound, thanks for the hookup. Saunders isn't working out so well there either, it would seem. Didn't the Rams sign Bulger to something near 60 million?? Ouch.

I thought Golston had himself a good game, I can recall him getting some up the middle pressure on Romo. Can't recall seeing RJackson however...If Jla say's he played well, I'll take it.

Did anyone catch the DEvans/MWashington exchange that Fox caught on camera?? Seemed like they were jawing at each other, it was right after the Witten TD....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

To the guy who said Horton can't cover, go back and review that interception. Horton breaks on the pass BEFORE it was thrown, he came from EASILY 10 yards away to make that int.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 8:05 AM

I'm a Hortonite, or Hortonian, or Hortonista, but the guy has problems. Blache says he was out of position on the Whitten TD. He's a rookie. He has a lot to learn.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 29, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | September 29, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Excellent all-around display. Pretty much all the positives have been said up here, so no need to repeat them.

However, I do have a few criticisms.

(1) Blache needs to refine his "prevent" defense. That defense to end the game basically gifted the Cowboys a TD -- easily. They hardly had to work for it. I can't say how much of that was on his scheme and how much had to do with Springs and Smoot being nicked up, but I'm guessing it had more to do with the scheme itself considering they did the same at the end of the 1st half.

(2) I would have liked to see Zorn put the ball in the hands of Campbell at some point on that final drive. Against both NO and ARI Zorn gave Campbell a chance to put the game away, and he delivered. Pounding the run was great and necessary, but towards the end it seemed like Zorn conceded to a FG instead of finishing the game then and there.

(3) The play of our defensive line underwhelmed me. Their play was masked by the utter superior play of our secondary. Romo often had decades to find his open guy... only his open guy was nowhere to be found because our secondary was smothering him. In a game where the Boys hardly ran the ball, I was hoping for more penetration, pressure, and hits on Romo. That hit by Carter on the final drive was vicious though.

And Finally,

(4) F the Cowboys. F Tank Johnson for attempting to call out Rock for celebrating on the star. Texas Stadium is no place that warrants classiness. You don't like it then do something about it. There's a reason the Cowboys and Redskins aren't friends -- and it has nothing to do with one making the other feel all warm and cozy after a loss. F the Cowboys. F 'em.

In the end, not much to complain about at all. Pretty top notch performance.

Posted by: psps23 | September 29, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Hortonian - brilliant!

The kid slid because he didn't have the "wow you" combine numbers. But he is physical. He is smart. He works his tail off. And he has a great nose for the football. Sounds like the makings of a pretty nice diamond, culled beautifully in the 7th round. I forgot what it was like to do this. Feels pretty sweet.

I agree with JLac- we need to get the contract talks going with Campbell. He and Coach Z are going to be our leaders for many years and we have to ink him to at least a 6 year extension stat.

Man, this is sweet friends...enjoy it and let's Springs, Smoot, et al are OK and all the boys - no, men - get ready for Philly!! I'm thinking they just might come to play.

HTTR

p.s. Clark Judge ranks us 4th this week, one spot ahead of Dallas. Imagine that!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 29, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Wheres sports_guru talking crap about jason campbell?? Wheres the haters who said he was the worst in league? wheres Sally Jenkins, talking about the redskins being in disaray? Funny how it disappears.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 29, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 29, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

BRING ON THE IGGLES!!!

If they can avoid a letdown after a huge win like this... then somebody better start knocking the rust off, check the oil, and charge the battery of that old truck I'm not even going to name right now.

Posted by: johnvandermyde | September 29, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

BRING ON THE IGGLES!!!

Posted by: johnvandermyde | September 29, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

So, please excuse me but I had to watch the game ib the middle of the night so I may have missed a couple things. But overall the 'Skins looked like a team that expected to win. Nothing the Cowboys did seemed to generate the usual 'Skins response from years past. The openning second half touchdown would have normally lead to like 21 unanswered points and we are routing for Jackson to hurt Romo's knee. Zorn deserves that credit. The players deserve credit for responding to a rookie coach. Now on a funny note - if you have kids and they make you watch Nik or Noggin then you've seen Lazy Town. It was brought to my attention that Robbie Rotten looks like Romo smarter brother - you decide.

Hail!

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 29, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ssh1549 | September 29, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

waht are you going to run to league and whine about this week?

methinks your seat back on the band wagon is already occupied

Posted by: sbn1 | September 29, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

what are you going to run to league and whine about this week?

methinks your seat back on the band wagon is already occupied. go try the Seahawks, I hear their fans are just brimming w/your kind of class

Posted by: sbn1 | September 29, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Pre-game interview with Romo and he's going on about having a good working relationship with TO...none of that McNabb-type nonsense with his WR....

Fast forward to post-game interview and here's TO, Romo's collar firmly in hand as he throws the QB under the bus..."I would come out [of my pass route] and the ball wasn't there." So this thankless creep gets stuffed by the D and his immediate reaction is to blame the QB? Well, here's a toast to team unity, which TO always seems to instill wherever he goes.

Only negative I could find is that the Skins O still seems a little tentative inside the 30. It'd be nice to see more play-action once in a while.

Pluck the Eagles!

Posted by: InRealAmerica | September 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Pluck the Eagles!

Posted by: InRealAmerica | September 29, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Testing comments

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | September 29, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If they sit Jon Jansen down after that dominant performance, they are out of their minds. He played with attitude and determination, and he knows how to win!

Posted by: 1bad442 | September 29, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1bad442 | September 29, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

guys go easy on MW his hip isn't 100% and no LB in football is going to stay with Witten consistently, just isn't going to happen

Posted by: Hail2theChief | September 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Where are the Haters at???

I hope everyone heard Vinny and Colin Cowherd just now on the radio. Vinny was on The Herd while hosting his show, it was like something out of Quantum Leap.

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | September 29, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice in the first half when Smoot switched Washington off Witten? I thought that was real smart of Smoot. Romo threw to Witten and Smoot was redSKIN tight on Witten for an incompletion and the Cowgirls had to punt. Props out to Springs shutting down the loud mouth T.O.

Posted by: klspoogy | September 29, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Where are the Haters at???

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | September 29, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say that beating Dallas is a great win all the time. As for the game, I like the emergence of Horton and think that he will eventually supplant Doughty. I thought Doughty was definitely below average yesterday in his coverage. He was getting beaten by Witten routinely and was trailing too often in his coverage. With Horton coming on, this softens the blow as we actually have someone capable to come in and play. Let's not underlook the job the team did in the offseason by choosing to draft depth rather than pay for overpriced vets to fill in the depth. This is how the other 3 teams in our division have built themselves so it's good that we finally got the message and have started the same thing. Also of note and this is for Snyder, sometimes the best moves to make are non moves like shipping a 1st rounder to the Bengals for Chad Johnson. If you choose to go with a restained plan, follow through with it. That doesn't just mean this year but also next year as well.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | September 29, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JWPinCHI | September 29, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Zorn looks to have the makings of a great coach!! He's definitely upgraded Campbell's game and the team doesn't turnover the ball much. Jansen will create more running power, so any passblocking deficiency is made up for by taking pressure off Campbell by opening up the running game..Yeah, whenever Shawn is close to %100 , definitely just go man on the top receiver (God bless his dad)..Great win..

Posted by: frak | September 29, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Washington can't stay with Witten - It was cover two and Horton was supposed to be helping up top. He made up for it with the pick though, rookies will make mistakes. Him and Doughty still should split time till Horton learns everything.

How Bout them REDSKINS!

Posted by: skinsfan1977 | September 29, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Great game!!! Although I was cursing at Casey Rabach for a full 10 minutes after his penalties cost the 'Skins a TD

Posted by: doni161 | September 29, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doni161 | September 29, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The Skins played well enough to beat the Cowturds ... and, I really am elated!

However, I still think we have work to do.

1. Jason is improving each week. He needs to improve upon quickening his release, and become more accurate. There were deep throws that he made in the game, in which had he lead, Sanatana a little he would have run into the end zone for touch down.

2. Carlos has a ways to go to prove that he is really a reliable corner. I don't like the fact that he gives a 10-15 yard cushion, and doesn't play physical like Shawn. He still have to work on his catching abilities. Unfortunately, he doesn't have great coverage skills or closing speed.

3. Marcus Washington should be phased out. He is was a play maker, but has lost a step or two.

4. Our KR/PR game needs to improve. Randle-El is not the answer. He dances side to side rather than finding a seam and going full speedahead. Rock is decent, but not great. Need someone like Hester to keep opposing teams honest.

5. Need to get our TEs more involved in the passing game. Need to use more 2 TE formation, and get Yoder and Davis in as well.

6. Our Red Zone offense needs some punch. We often settle for FGs instead of TDs. And, that really made the game closer than it should have been in Dallas. We settled for 3 FGs instead of punching in TDs. Had we scored TDs the game would be out of reach for Dallas.

7. Chris Horton is a beast. We need to have him in the line up more often with speedster Lee Torrence at DB.

8. What do you guys think of the punter Brookes? He is a find, and will get better with time.

Posted by: mi6-007 | September 29, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Skins played well enough to beat the Cowturds ... and, I really am elated!

However, I still think we have work to do.

Posted by: mi6-007 | September 29, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Anybody heard from Brian Mitchell? No hating on CP this week I see. Sorry to say it but MW is done. HB Blades is primed to take his spot. He's smaller but he's lighting quick and seems to always be around the ball. Horton and HB are the future. Together they might bring a little of what Sean Taylor RIP brought to the table.

Posted by: tank1906 | September 29, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Now what do your anonymous league sources have to say about "Doug Williams" and his doomed future in the West Coast offense?

Posted by: jahs4fun | September 29, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

We need someone like Devin Hester? Yeah there are ALOT of them just running around.

And you really think Lee Torrence is better than Rogers? I think Rogers is a nice CB...he is still young. Once he puts everything together...he's gonna be a problem.

Horton is NOT a beast. He makes plays...but we don't know when he is out of position. Slow down with him. He's not ready for full time duty.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | September 29, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Great game yesterday, now lets focus on Philly they are going to be desperate after last night,that being said how do you allow da Bears 24 points i mean Kyle Orton? come on you've got to be kidding me,well Donovan and Westbrook always give us fits so the "D" had better be ready.Any one heard from Stephen A. Smith lately you know he's going to be all over his hometown team(Philly) for Sunday's game.I've been trying to reach him all day i'll let you bloggers know if i make contact.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 29, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse