Montgomery Expects to Sign Wednesday

Jason Reid reports:

Defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery, who did not participate in the first day of workouts at Redskins Park, has not signed his new contract, he said today.

Montgomery recently received a package from the team explaining its tender offer, but he has not received an actual contract from the team. He plans to be at the complex Wednesday.

"I guess I would sign it then," Montgomery said. "That's the plan."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 16, 2009; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis a Surprise Participant on Day 1 of Workouts
Next: Shaun Suisham Signs His Tender

Comments

Blah blah blah FIRST blah blah.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

FIRST day of workouts and Montgomery's not there? Guy's a bigger slacker than Portis.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

As long as we don't sign JButt. That would be a mistake.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

(YES on Monty getting his contract done or whatever the holdup is. Take care of it.)

I'm in the "Clinton Portis most definitely does not suck, and I don't really give a damn what he does in the offseason, though I am happy he's attending today's workouts" camp.

Greg, as far as offseason fun, I'm going to see your Red Sawx when they visit the Mariners in May. That's something you can probably appreciate. And catching some local AAA action, those Portland Beavers. And catching some Caps playoff games at a local sports bar. And seeing some live music. And losing badly in each of the tourney pools I enter. The usual stuff.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,

You are missing the point. See my post about developing a QB in the SAME offense for 3 consecutive years.

Ripping off one-season stats and comparing them in a vacuum is dumb, and is no way to evaluate a QBs comparative development.

Same can be said for Cassel, who, although had been a career backup, spent several years with Pats with the same handful of coaches learning the same offense.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I guess to an extent I agree, but to at some point doesn't it become tiresome to keep making excuses for, he's been in the league for 4 years now, Chad Pennington switched systems in training camp and went to the playoffs, Flacco, Ryan, and if you go to previous years the list goes on and on and on of guys who go into new systems and have immediate success,, do they also improve over time by staying in the same system? Sure, but they still have success right away. JC was a 3 year vet, now 4 year vet, at some point we have to quit making excuses, its the system, its the receivers, its the oline, its blah blah blah and say you know what, he's OK and the best option we have on our roster at this point, but he's not THAT good either.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hats off to Boren and company for keeping the information -- such as it is -- flowing up here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 2:53 PM

Can't workout if your not under contract......

(I'm sure he had to gauge the market to see if there would be any interest in him as well since he dosen't have to sign it until the week before the draft)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to you guys for hanging out with us!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I'm jealous of your Mariners/Sox tickets. Getting any type of tic's around here for the sox, involves selling of body parts, illegally. For me, aside from rooting for the skins, I enjoy fishing, both salt, and fresh, fly, and otherwise, I also love playing softball, as well as wood-working.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

As if any of us could ever quit you, Cindy!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

As if any of us could ever quit you, Cindy!

Posted by: NateinthePDX

So true Nate.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | March 16, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"at some point doesn't it become tiresome to keep making excuses for (Campbell)"

Posted by: zjfr2

Yep, at some point it's going to be all about the W's and the #'s.

That point wasn't last season, his first time in the offense of a first time offensive coordinator operating under a first time head coach with no playcalling or coordinating experience. Attempting to pass final judgment on any QB operating under those conditions, especially one that's showed significant flashes of excellence, is downright ludicrous.

But please, continue on beating us over the head with this "he's not that good" shtick.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley has a really interesting perspective on the Jason Taylor release:

Jason Taylor Hates Money

Posted by: siris | March 16, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley has a really interesting perspective on the Jason Taylor release:

Posted by: siris | March 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

BTW, good to hear that Monty's signing. He'll be a RFA next year too, no? (if it's an uncapped year)

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

"as well as wood-working....."

How'd you get into wood-working?

I'd have to say Jesus. He was a carpenter and I figured if you're going to follow in somebody's footsteps, why not the steps of our lord and savior?

Greg's Jewish.

Really?

Yeah.

Well so was J.C. You're in good company...

what a great movie...even though you feel bad for the poor guy most of the time.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley wrote on his blog:

"Last off season I had a workout bonus of $100,000 to make 80 percent of my workouts and didn't reach it. Granted I got married and missed 10 days for my honeymoon..."

Why wouldn't the Redskins count some of that honeymoon as a workout? A honeymoon can be hard on a man. Surely he was in better shape when he returned than he was when he left.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"even though you feel bad for the poor guy most of the time"? that's the basis of all the humor, isn't it??

but yes, great movie.

I miss playing softball, Greg. used to play on two or three teams every season. not that I played well, mind you, but I loved it. and it was vaguely ath-uh-letic. but I've not yet found a team out here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

my dad, granddad were both craftsmen, so I picked it up from them. I also like the smell of sawdust...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I've not yet found a team out here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 16, 2009 3:23 PM

That's not like you Nate. The man who organized a first rate shabingus from 3000 miles away could organize a team, or a whole league, in the PDX. I'll bet you found a few places to drink beer.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I do believe that the coaching staff can help improve the performance of some of the younger players by the time the season starts. My question is how do the coaches improve? How does JZ improve his play calling? Has Vinnie or anyone evaluated whether he has too many responsibilities? Who is helping him get better at managing game situations, if anyone? Just curious because I do think that was an issue last year.

Posted by: will_ga | March 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

nate, you gotta find a team...get back into it.

I just found a 1998 Worth Supercell EST new in the wrapper that I bought off craigslist that I'm dying to start using..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

but yes, great movie.

===========================================

Clue a brotha in please.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The only problem is trying to organize a sport that can't be played in a soft drizzle.
In Portland.

Posted by: daggar | March 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My dad and granddad pretty much spent all of their time at work surfing the 'net, hence....

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
Ever any discussion of changing the team name for that Beaver Baseball?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009; 2:45 PM ET

Sounds like a cost-saving measure ... U.S. Postal Service as opposed to, say, FEDEX!

One has to wonder whether Montgomery will be receiving the same napkin-scribbled-preview "details" of his contract that LaVar received. ["Yeah, yeah, yeah, it says what the napkin said, just sign it."]

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 16, 2009 3:31 PM

...your grandson spends all his time playing World of Warcraft.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

did I just break this thing again?

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

a frightening thought, te

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 16, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

but yes, great movie.

===========================================

Clue a brotha in please.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 3:29 PM
--------------------------------------

it's "Meet The parents"

great movie indeed.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 16, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

flound, nice, good luck with that. How old are we talking??

You're thankful that gas prices have come down if you're on the travel team.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 1:53 PM |

10U Softball

We try to stay within an hour of Germantown, you would be amazed at some of the talent on these 10u teams.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

nate, you gotta find a team...get back into it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 3:28 PM |

Greg,

Does your league not use composite bats, because that bat is very old.

There are some Miken bats out now that are awesome.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 3:41 PM |

I would think Montgomery would have a agent smart enough to read and understand the contract.

Lavar's agent was a moron.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

flound, its an ASA league, but I'm a huge Worth bat fan. This bat is the original, never used before, EST they produced.

Miken has some sick bats, the Ultra II being one of them.

I have a PST, that is an absolute bomb dropper....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

it's "Meet The parents"

great movie indeed.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 16, 2009 3:48 PM

eh, I don't out too much in that type of humor...

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Are you BLEEPING kidding me??

"The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.
"The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

NFLPA head: I'm prepared for war

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED March 16 2009 1:46 PM BY david elfin

DeMaurice Smith, the new head of the NFLPA, spoke with reporters today in a conference call.

Smith, a D.C.-based attorney, was elected late Sunday night as the fourth executive director in the history of the players union. He succeeds Gene Upshaw, who died in August.

Among the highlights:

* On the league's labor situation: "There isn't a day where I don't hope for peace, but at the same time there isn't a day where we don't prepare for war."

* On providing financial assistance to the league's former players: "We all have a moral obligation to them. We want them to be part of our team. The men around this table understand that."

* On the game in the current economimc climate: "The men who play this game know about sacrifice, they know about honor, they know about duty. This game is bigger than them. There are people in America who rely on those game-day checks -- the people who park the cars, who work in concessions, the people who support this game in each and every way. I dont want a lockout for our men and for those people who need those eight paychecks every year."

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

There can't be any freaking way that Peppers goes for a 2nd rounder...that's insane....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Its about time the players took care of their own retirees. Either the league or the players NEED to own up.

Its beyond shameful how they've gotten so rich, while failing to take care of those that built this league up.

The players would be wise to accept the rookie salary cap and keep the salary cap in place. Just make sure they are their fair share of the pie -- which is most of it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 16, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"it's "Meet The parents"

great movie indeed.

Posted by: RedDMV"

man you're so cool

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 16, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It's basicly a low 1st. #34 is the 2nd pick. I would call that value there.

How much is he gonna get paid is my real question.

AND, is it me or are the Pats the old Snyder Redskins? Signing all these old guys for one final run..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

NFL sources say the Panthers would welcome the chance to unload Peppers for a second-round draft pick, even though it would be well below his market value, because it would be less costly than signing a first-rounder... This, in part, could help answer the lingering question of why the Patriots were willing to take only a second-round pick for Cassel and Vrabel rather than possibly go for a higher choice as part of a three-way deal involving the Denver Broncos, who were ready to give up Jay Cutler for Cassel... Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

+++Why wouldn't the Redskins count some of that honeymoon as a workout? A honeymoon can be hard on a man….
Posted by: talent_evaluator |

“hard on a man.” I’d guess that one flew by about 98% of the room, T_E…

Posted by: TheCork | March 16, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse