Montgomery Fights for Starting Job

Coach Jim Zorn is expected to name the Redskins' starting right guard after the Redskins practice today - and he'll inform the player before the session to allow him to get full reps with starters in preparation for Sunday's game at Detroit.

It's been hard to get an idea which player the coaches will choose: 2008 third-round draft pick Chad Rinehart or local product Will Montgomery.

Most people seem to think the choice will be Rinehart if only because Washington drafted him so high last year and because the plan, as JReid has written up here, was to have Rinehart take over as the starter in 2010.

Despite that, Montgomery hasn't just handed the job over to Rinehart, and through camp it was the former Centreville standout who was drawing praise for his performance.

Several players took notice as well and I have more comments from DeAngelo Hall that did not make the story.

Hall on Montgomery's quiet nature: "He's quiet but he can play football. That's the bottom line, he can [seriously] play football. I think everybody knows that. Had scholarships to other colleges, walked on to Virginia Tech, so the kid can play football bottom line. Ever since I been there he was a player. Ever since I left I followed him, I think he came out two years after me down in Carolina, we were in the same division, so I know the kid can play. I was surprised Carolina released him, and then he went to the Jets and I was surprised we got a chance to get him."

Hall on Montgomery being considered undersized: "He might be undersized height-wise but weight-wise and strength-wise, he's one of the biggest, stronger [guys] you ever want to meet. Got a couple records still at Virginia Tech, so he can play football, no doubt about it."

Montgomery on this competition and what it means to him: "Any time you have an opportunity to play you have to make the most of it. It's golden. And they don't come around too often and I'm just happy to be here to try to help the team win."

Montgomery, during spring OTAs, on his knack for earning a roster spot: "I think I was blocking guys [at Virginia Tech], I was doing my job I was having people notice me and talk about me in meetings. That's what it's about. The coaches don't decide who makes the team, the players decide who makes the team. And that's the same as in college, high school and the pros. As the saying goes: 'the eye in the sky doesn't lie.' So if you're playing and you're doing the right thing ... people are going to notice and you're going to be in there."

On getting signed by Washington: "It was a great phone call. Growing up 20 miles away from the Redskins, it's great to be playing for the Redskins."

One of the most telling quotes in my story today comes from former Centreville coach Mike Skinner ("As a head coach, [Montgomery] is the reason I have a state title"), who focused on Montgomery's dependability and determination. Danny McGrath, a former Virginia Tech teammate of Montgomery's who is now coaching high school in the area, concurred: "If they're going to try to keep out of the lineup, good luck."

McGrath, who played on the offensive line with Montgomery, said that Montgomery was known for outworking people and earning his way into spots - whether it was in the lineup, in weight-room challenges or off-the-field bets for fun.

Will he win this competition? I don't know, but my take is that he has proven his worth as a player who can provide quality depth at all three interior line positions. Besides, he's a pretty good local story.

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 25, 2009; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Balking at Talk-Radio Conversations
Next: Will the Redskins Motor in Detroit?

Comments

Great article on Montgomery. He definitely sounds like what Joe Gibbs used to call "a Redskins guy."

Posted by: boothintexas | September 25, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Greg, this debate is tired. For two offseasons you and others have wanted to throw Rock outta here for your precious Marcus Mason. Now you got him and yet you're still trying rid us of Rock. I could understand if he fumbled a lot or ran around in circles on returns like ARE, but he's been nothing but a core Redskin, a team captain and a steady performer.

He's on the team. Probably not next year, but he's here now. So deal.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Let's see if Montgomery gets the same love for being a local guy that Marcus Mason does...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I would start Rinehart. Montgomery is more valuable on special teams and as a backup C/G.

Posted by: siris | September 25, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Greg, this debate is tired. For two offseasons you and others have wanted to throw Rock outta here for your precious Marcus Mason. Now you got him and yet you're still trying rid us of Rock. I could understand if he fumbled a lot or ran around in circles on returns like ARE, but he's been nothing but a core Redskin, a team captain and a steady performer"

Post of the Day, cuz I'm just such a big marcus mason fan...can someone help brown out here...wow brown...you drinking??

Oh and can we please lose the term, "core redskin"...James Thrash was a 'core redskin'...Jansen was a 'core redskin'...if by calling him a 'core redskin' that means he's gonna get cut lose, then I'm all for it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, I voted for CHIN-WHISKERS RINEHART cause I already know what WIL can bring to the field. I want to see if that great mid-Western work ethic will bring the REDSKINS something more than a quality back-up middle offensive lineman. So play him and let's see what he's got. "O.K. MR. Push-ups let's hear your story." STRIPES

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Its simple to me, who can run block better, because we NEED to start running to the right.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26:

Dog, what's the matter? I been posting you up for hours. And I get dissed. I mean where's the love dude?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Go Rinehart!

I am picking the Skins to win big Sunday, but for those who can’t understand why so many people are picking the 0-19 lions to win, keep in mind that the Lions are 0-2, not 0-19. These lions have a new GM, new (respectable, finally) head coach, new qb, dangerous RB, Dangerous WR, and an improved defense, and are at home. Plus they have better offensive stats than the skins. It’s not a complete stretch to pick the lions, although admittedly it is becoming the “popular pick”…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 25, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought the starter was going to be "named" or picked this morning. He has to get first team reps in today. Maybe they're just not naming him to the press until after practice.

Posted by: LouLewis | September 25, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg:

And where pray tell should we lose the term "core REDSKIN" Boston man? Hum-m-m. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

LouLewis:

I roll with that. If the coaches don't already know, I shudder for the offensive game-plan come Sunday.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:12 AM

Dude, this ain't Madden...the reality is, there are going to be players that contribute and are important to the team in ways that aren't apparent in the box score. Thrash wasn't a great receiver (barely even good when he came back here), but his leadership was important and he was the best blocking WR we had. Rock makes plays on special teams that you'd only see in film study. Stuff that if he's not there to do it, we may give up a touchdown on a punt return or stops a fumble from happening on our punt return team. But because it's not a highlight on SportsCenter...well, must not be important. Bottom line is, the coaches see a need to keep him and he's done nothing to warrant him being cut.

Personally, I like a guy who keeps his mouth shut, plays football the way the game is supposed to be played, and is good for the locker room. The Redskins have 3 Lombardis to show for that philosophy. If more guys were like that on the roster, we'd be much better than we are.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Glawrence….where is this all night bar you were at? I thought last call was at 2am or something…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't care who starts as long as JC stays upright.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 25, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze1:

Don't be surprised. They carry a rock onto the field all the time too. Nothing the REDSKINS do is a surprise after watching their mostly miserable azzes for FIFTY-SEVEN YEARS. Don't tell me coaches can't change things either. RAY FLAHERTY, DUTCH BERGMAN, DUDLEY DeGROOT, VINCE LOMBARDI, GEORGE ALLEN, and JOE GIBBS made a positive difference. MARTY S. would have too, but he fell out with the new owner.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

my dad taught montgomery in the 6th grade. how cool is that?

whoever they like should have been named tuesday and allowed the reps.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 25, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26:

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:17 AM

We're still good, dude. Still good.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I think they should have decided based on the tape they already had from pre-season, and from former practices. They should have picked and let that guy practice all week. If he struggles against the Lions, they should give the other guy a shot next week, along with practicing him all week.

This half practice for each of them situation will lead to suckitude. And when the suckitude occurs, we won't know if maybe they'd have been better given a week of full first team practice. So there will just be more confusion.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

dlhaze 1:

Wanna' fight darling? Fa ged a boud it!!!!!Go crawl back under that rock you're so worried about. "Us YOUNGERS don't need you." THE LONG RIDERS

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

word, rex...i concur.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 25, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 25, 2009 9:30 AM

Seriously, are you drunk this morning? Nothing wrong with that I guess…….What did I say about a rock?
I am starting to get a mental pic of you as Molly Shannon on SNL doing her “FIFTY YEARS OLD! I LOVE, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!” bit……

“AND A KICK!!!!!!”

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Quick RI poll:

I'm honestly not trying to be inflammatory with this question.

How many people think Moss should be benched for the first series of the game?

I think he is making rookie mistakes. For example, vs. the Rams, when JC almost took that safety, Moss inexusably read the coverage incorrectly. Frankly, it looks like he isn't giving full effort and isn't on the same page as JC.

Do we think this would shake him out of his funk, or do more harm than good?

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | September 25, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

brown, I've never played Madden before in my life, so don't know about madden in the least...

all I'm saying is that Rock's contribution is very small, and the writing is on the wall for him to be cut....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I say put Rhino in and leave Montogomery as our backup center. What happens if we put Montgomery in and he gets hurt? Who is our backup center then? If they are that evenly matched then why not go with Rhino?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 25, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

You're missing out Greg...it's the only place I can count on a 14-2 Super Bowl season with our Skins.

All I'm saying is that Rock is far from one of this team's problems. This roster is littered with guys who need to go and Rock is so far down the list, I don't get why you want rid of him in particular so bad.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think benching Moss would be a big mistake. He may be funking up some plays, but the fact remains he is our best threat if covered 1 on 1, and that rarely ever happens. His ability to draw 2 defenders in theory opens it up for other receivers. That has to pay off eventually in the form of Kelly stepping up, and Cooly and ARE continuing their current success.

That's really the best situation you can ask for - having your #1 double covered and your other guys stepping up. If they do step up, they have to take guys out of the box to double cover them also, and that sets the running attack wide open.

Now if we took Moss out, we'd have to have Thomas and Kelly out there beating single coverage repeatedly, and that just hasn't been shown to happen. Thus they'll be single covered, the box will be loaded, and we wont be able to run or pass.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"Although Blache still screamed a lot, the roster was in need of an overhaul that occurred with the signing of middle linebacker London Fletcher and the drafting of safety LaRon Landry, among other moves."

(A) That's not an overhaul

(B) The difference between 2006 and 2007 was when Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator, moved Sean Taylor to the "center fielder" Free Safety role, dropped the second safety nearly exclusively into the box, and pressed with man coverage.

It was a scheme change. From the coaches in charge. It was not even remotely close to an overhaul. Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs, Rocky McIntosh, Andre Carter, Cornelius Griffin, Phillip Daniels, and Marcus Washington were all on the team in 2006, and were all starters in 2007.

That's a HUGE stretch with that one, JReid.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"And where pray tell should we lose the term "core REDSKIN" Boston man"

I'll use this example, was Tedy Bruschi a core patriot? Was Mike Vrabel?? Was David Givens? Was Richard Seymour??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line Moss is still way better than any of our other WR. And if you bench him it will just piss him off. He already has the attitude that he's contributing by drawing defenders, and he isn't complaining about not getting the ball like other WRs might.

If you bench him and thus tell him that he's messing up, I think you're just giving him a mental complex. I think he'd start playing worse rather than better.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Who in god's name is suggesting to bench Santana Moss?

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

the real questions are 1) can Leigh Torrance play guard, and 2) can we trade back for him.

Oh wait, that is so 2008.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | September 25, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

No to benching Moss, yes to establishing a balance to him and then deploying him more as a weapon by moving him around, and less like a possesion receiver.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 25, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Today's poll:

How will Brownwood react when the 'Skins beat Detroit 20-3:

A. They should have won by more. It's Detroit.

B. They'll lose next week to Tampa.

C. It's only one win. Look at the record since Snyder bought the team.

D. Attack the real Redskins fans for enjoying the win.

E. Losing would have been better because the Redskins would realize how bad they are.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 25, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

F: The Redskins blew a chance at a better draft pick for next year

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line Moss is still way better than any of our other WR.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:45 AM |

Possibly, but how would we know? None of the WRs except ARE have gotten enough balls to know whether they're better than Moss. We don't know what we've got in Kelly, Mitchell, Thomas.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

a,b,c

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Let's not stop at Moss. Let's bench Chris Samuels and London Fletcher, too.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Chris Cooley if F'ing up too.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 25, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd put him in slot and run 3WR for the first drive. Use MK12 and DT11/MM as primary and flanker. Try to air it out. I'd love to see Phillip Buchanon trying to cover Moss in the middle of the field and giving the 1 on 1 on the outside to the tall guys vs. King/Henry. That's assuming King and Henry even play. They are listed as questionable. If they try to double moss in the middle of the filed that should open up the sidelines. Maybe we'll actually connect on a deep ball to one of the young guys this weekend.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator that's a hard one. I see brownwood in several of these answers. I'm gonna pick the combo: A & B responses.

Posted by: TWISI | September 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:44 AM

You tell me...I don't follow that team at all, but based on what I've heard Givens left them for the money, Bruschi retired because he's way old and the Raiders made an offer the Pats couldn't refuse (especially since the Pats weren't gonna break bank for him in the offseason). The closest thing to Rock's situation in the guys you listed was Vrabel, and he's in his 30s.

Rock just turned 30. I've said a million times I'm all for replacing him if someone comes up and beats him out. Until then he stays.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Benching is surely the wrong move overall, but if your going strictly on effort and performance I think the case can be made.

cL, I agree with you, we should move him around, give him different matchups and try and get him out of his funk that way.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | September 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator
=======

We know because of how real talent evaluators ie: opposing defensive coaches scheme against us. They double cover Moss because they have to. If they didn't he'd be devastating, and they can look at tape and see that. You know Campbell looks his way often, he'd have a lot more catches if he wasn't a huge focus for the defense.

Kelly on the other hand is not covered so tightly yet is not catching many balls. More important is that he continues to be not covered so tightly (doubled). Even if he isn't racking up yards, if he was beating single coverage consistently, you'd see the Defense making a change, but he isn't, and they don't.

And you might want to say at this point, that maybe Kelly is getting open all the time in single coverage, and JC just isn't getting to that read in time. But JZ isn't so dumb that he wouldn't notice, and Kelly isn't so shy that he wouldn't point it out.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17:

The only reason I wouldn't play him in the slot is because ARE has found a great niche there. I don't want to take that away from ARE and interrupt his flow. I think JC is establishing a really good connection there so far this season, and I'd like them to build on that connection.

Remember that specialization is key, and moving receivers around while it might confuse the defense, might also confuse JC to some degree.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

New post, gentlemen.

Oh, and you too T_E.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What about putting Moss in motion sometimes? Oh yeah we no longer do that...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

benching moss = tart move of the year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

The fact there is even a debate about whom to start indicates Montgomery is the better guard...they WANT rinehart to win the job outright and step into the roll as starter and heir to Thomas' spot. Rinehart has been given every opportunity and at every step and it's starting to look like he cant win the job from anybody.

DO NOT start rinehart if Montgomery is the better player. Who cares where they were drafted, play the best ballers

Posted by: divi3 | September 25, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I like both guys but I wonder about Vinny's scouting and drafting record: JC, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Fred Davis and Rhinehart. $41 million dollar signing bonus couldve been used to hire better scouts and a better GM.

Posted by: jercha | September 25, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The term "Core Redskin" should be used when the team is consistently good. Not when we are holding on to players out of some sense of loyalty while the team continues to be mediocre. When the team is mediocre to the core, the core and corps need to be changed. Rock, Betts, Thrash and numerous others are of this ilk. Core Redskin should be used for players like Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic, Monte Coleman types.....they were all winners in addition to being high character guys.

I'm all for having character in the locker-room. But if the choice is between character and talent, I will take the latter.....Talent wins, Character merely feels good

Posted by: keino83 | September 25, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Bench Moss? I don't think so. Moss is a key reason why Randle-El and Cooley get open up the middle. Problem is, gotta continue calling those pass plays up the middle until someone stops them. If they don't stop it, keep calling it. Santana will get his once these defences realize they're paying too much of a price by focusing mainly on him. Skins haven't been making 'em pay yet.

Posted by: BenThere | September 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 9:12 AM
They're keeping Rock around for the same reason they kept Thrash, he is an outstanding special teams player, and not just returning kicks. We already let go two of our best, Thrash and Khary Campbell. You let too many of your ST stalwarts go, and your ST falls on its butt, and as we all know, that can cost games.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line Moss is still way better than any of our other WR.

Posted by: REXskins | September 25, 2009 9:45 AM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 25, 2009 9:53 AM
Has anybody noticed that JC just doesn't seem as accurate on his long throws this year? He's always thrown a catchable deep pass, even into good coverage, this year he seems to be underthrowing a great deal.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 25, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Jason needs to grow a pair and just go "Wilie Beamon" on em. Call his own numbers and get the team going. He's a lot better than the media, most posters, and his head coach give him credit for. Just watch how different he plays in the no huddle. With confidence! on the money with the passses. much better at keeping the team focused and getting them back to the line of scrimmage while the clock is ticking.

It's Zorn's over thinking every detail of every little play that is slowing this team and their offensive progress down. He can't let go. Problem is, his career depends on how well he actually does let go and trusts the guys on the field to just let it loose and play ball. It's not that friggin difficult.

Posted by: BenThere | September 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Paul Tenorio wrote a pretty good article about little Monty. Yah ya heard me, little Monty as opposed to Big Monty who is seated pretty firmly on the bench at DT. There is even an understanding of America's dislike of Monty as a British General in WWII that comes to mind. Who will produce? I wouldn't mind Will starting this game as long as there weren't too much of a feel good sentiment that led to an unwarranted continuation.

Rinehart, I believe, has been training for the specific position. "Flip a coin" coach says. And Rhino is bigger... if only by measure of nick names. The Times leads an article with "Looking back, Chad Rinehart knows he moped through most of his rookie year." That is truly a shame as he is the Redskins veteran of backups on the O-line. Though Will's ability to play 3 positions would say other wise. That being said Batiste and Williams should both be preparing to play the position under the circumstance. You'd generally expect the players lining up at tackle to be the better athletes. Where the backups longer tenured than Rhino you'd thus expect the best athlete available could step in. But I also notice in this time of upheaval on the O-line Williams was out again this weak, this time to the flu.

Pete Kendall and Jon Jansen are players we could have had on the bench. It is said Jansen cost more to cut than to keep. Kendall did regularly miss Wed. practice with creaky knees but may have outplayed Thomas during his Skins stint. I could see restructuring contracts to optimize payroll. But it seems a step backward without any draft picks to replace them. The line was already a weakness with or without the questionable depth.

Now that were playing Detroit I can bring up Lydon Murtha, a tackle who is 6'7" and ran a 4.89 in the 40. Detroit picked him 7 picks after we picked Eddie Williams (not Edwin Williams but same differance). Not that it would probably make a differance for this game but... We're talking a 6'7" Tackle who could join in on that Portis/Landry foot race and not be put to shame. Well at least they wouldn't need to bring in the IMAX camera.

Posted by: chavez66 | September 25, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse