Moore Trying to Develop

Washington Redskins safety Kareem Moore played from the second quarter to the end of the game in last Thursday's preseason opener loss at Baltimore, and the second-year defensive back's development over the next few weeks could be worth watching.

The Redskins employed a three-safety formation at times last season, but it wasn't until late in the year Moore started to play more. This year, however, the Redskins hope the 2008 sixth-round draft pick can continue to learn from his preseason reps and earn his way onto the field more in the regular season.

"He just needs to play," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He didn't play a lot last year, he missed all of preseason last year, and when you go into a season and you don't know if a guy can play, he's coming off an injury, you're hesitant to put him out there. That's why he's got two years of preseason to get this preseason."

Whether the Redskins can trust Moore back at free safety might end up giving the defensive coaches more freedom with how they use LaRon Landry and Chris Horton during times when there are three safeties on the field.

But Moore must get used to the speed of play and learn to trust himself first, Jackson said. That's something that's beginning to happen as he gets reps in preseason games, Moore said, and he's learning from the things he did right and wrong in Baltimore.

"There's a couple things I could have did better," Moore said. "I could've jumped the route with the tight end crossing, could've tried to pick it instead of hitting him, and there's another time when I had my eyes on the quarterback and he threw the deep ball to [Ravens' wide receiver Yamon] Figurs over my head. . . . There's a lot of things I try to take back and Coach Jackson gave me some pointers to work on."

As the preseason continues, Moore will continue to get his chances and hopefully will continue to make progress, Jackson said.

"We have high hopes for him, and he's been over and beyond what we thought he'd be," Jackson said. "Now it's just getting him to go out and do it Saturdays, Sundays, Thursdays, whenever it is that he has to go out there."

Hazing Alert and the Return of Daniels

Dan Steinberg cuts through the tape (har, har) surrounding the hazing of Brian Orakpo and J.D. Skolnitsky. Seems it was all Albert Haynesworth's doing. ...

Mike Wise spoke with Phillip Daniels about his return to the football field after his 2008 season ended on the first day of training camp. Daniels played in the Redskins' rainy preseason opener against the Ravens in Baltimore.

"Every time the rain hit the window, it made me think of a teardrop," he said. "After everything that happened a year ago, I just felt so much joy -- joy that I was back."

By Paul Tenorio  |  August 18, 2009; 5:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smoot's Like a Rookie Again
Next: Player Rep Advises Redskins to Save Up

Comments

Uno

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"Moore Trying to Develop"

If 'moore' developes it becomes, what, 'a lot'?

Poor guy will have to change his name.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"That's why he's got two years of preseason to get this preseason."
***

Translation, please?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

JReid, you talk to Smoot. Tenorio, you talk to Moore. REEEEADY, break.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

But if we finish bad enough to get a top five pick, I'm singing 'Boomer Sooner' and putting Sam Bradford in burgandy n' gold.

Posted by: MistaMoe
_______________________________

I gots to agree with this. If one (or more) of those 2010 QB's is the real thing, we should do what it takes to get him even if we're not top-5 pickers (i.e. a 1st & 2nd, or two 1st's), and get our OT via FA.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 18, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

TheNewTruth, he was out last preseason so he needs to catch up in terms of reps.

MistaMoe, he becomes "Moost".

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

If 'moore' developes it becomes, what, 'a lot'?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 5:33 PM

You're looking for the word that means more than moore? That's Moe.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"That's why he's got two years of preseason to get this preseason."
***

Translation, please?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:35 PM

Translation: Moore has to use these preseason games as his first AND second NFL preseasons, because he couldn't play in last year's preseason games.

Posted by: Section104 | August 18, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Hybrid positions seems to be a big thing for the Skins, this year more than ever:

Orakpo/Wilson are OLB/DE
Smoot is CB/FS
Alexander is DE/DT
Bridges is T/G

I like the versatility it gives the team. This really helps keep extra players, such as Jarmon, on the roster even though they might not be ready to contribute until late this season or next. You don't need him if you have either Orakpo or Wilson able to step in at DE. E.G., You don't need 5 safteies on the roster if Smoot doubles as a 5th Safety.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

What are Vinny's hybrid positions?

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 18, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Still looking for MARTY S. EMAIL !! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT IS ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"There's a couple things I could have did better," Moore said.

Could have my nails did better, my hur did better...

Grammar aside, I'm a fan of his. Moore options for LL=pick6

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Aw man, I'm completely stumped...I give up, who is this Marty "S" character? Why do you want an advertisement for his email?

For my prize I'd like GI Joe with kung fu grip--that's a vinny move right there.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo/Wilson are OLB/DE
Smoot is CB/FS
Alexander is DE/DT
Bridges is T/G

Posted by: Wemiss21

with Orakpo and Wilson, its a matter of two young guys figuring out where they will be the best (I hope...).

With Alexander, the Skins probably know where he is better. I'm guessing the DE part is because we've got aging guys at DE.

Not so sure why Smoot is going to safety. We're pretty deep with guys who are as good as Smoot, and younger. I can understand that Smoot sees it as a way to extend his career. I just don't see the Skins interest, as we're thinner at CB than S.

And Bridges has, at least so far, shown he's a G, not a T.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Warren sapp on NFL network just break down why the skins got a shot this year?

Posted by: murphyz | August 18, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Stop crying foul, I'm just looking for Marty S. email ADD because Zorn will be fired soon. STOP FREAKIN OUT !!!!! BEFORE I DO !! YOU REALLY DON'T WANT THAT !

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

zcest,

I disagree, I think they are looking at most of these backups as needing to fill two slots in order to add to their value. Orakpo is the only starter in the hybrid role - and that is to put him in position to rush the passer on throwing downs.

All of the others are potentially filling two revserve positions, which adds to their value allows us to keep other players, like perhaps a Marcus Mason or Aldridge, who we otherwise would not have roster space for.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

zcest,

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

If this is true, and we do keep Wilson AND Alexander, this would spell the end (no pun int) for either Wynn or Daniels, yes? This may be a good way to have our cake and eat it too: have young players as backups/rotational players and keep others like Aldridge who fill needs at teams and specialty positions like scatback. Cut some age.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I like Kareem Moore and I think he's the real deal. Last year Blache compared him to Taylor, although he did use words like "almost" and "nearly". Having Smoot as another option at free safety really suggests to me that the team plans on using Landry in the strong safety position a lot this year. If Moore and Smoot can prevent the deep ball, this will be really good. Horton and Doughty have had good camps too, so the team has to find some way of getting them on the field as well. It's a good problem to have.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

As much guff as Snyder takes, I don't know what the fugg the Vikings front office was thinking.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 18, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

RomoLB,

Yes, I am not sure we need Wynn this year. At least not if Alexander can back up Phillips.

I predict that Wynn gets cut. Our D-Line will be:

Phillips, Haynesworth, Griffin, Carter, Alexander, Golston, Montgomery, Jarmon

And we may have roster space for Jackson or Buzbee, but really - since we have Orakpo, and if they keep Wilson, we would not need Buzbee or Jackson.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Trailer for new Megan Fox movie, don't know whether to be excited (see leading actress), disgusted (teen movie), appalled (teen movie+bad horror flick), indifferent (who cares, we probably won't see her naked in this anyway), or dailymotion (catch the goods after it comes out on DVD).

She have enough booty for you, Moe?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss,

Have you been able to glean who might have the edge between Wynn and Daniels? Does cutting Wynn hurt the cap? Jason??

I'll take the brother squatting 600+ a year after ACL, but what do I know? Who's doing better in camp?

I do know this: deliberating on who to cut is a way better problem to have than making emergency signings to fill a need.

I like Buzbee (Gtown), don't know much about Jackson. Both seem unlikely, at least for the 53.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Buzbee and Jackson are probably gone. Neither was a high pick. We added 3 noteworthy DE's -- Orakpo, Jarmon and Wynn in the offseason, plus Daniels returned. That is more than enough bodies to make up for the departures of Evans and Jason Taylor.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Was Jason Taylor ever really here? Or have I compartmentalized that?

And judging from a bunch of posts up here at the time, didn't the sky fall when Evans left? Are we posting from the Bardo? Frak?!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that if Wilson insisted on being a DE, he'd get cut. He's still vulnerable.

Orakpo is gonna learn two positions and we'll see where he fits. I'm a fan of finding out, then letting him do his thing. And don't let Andre Carter get in his way ...

Smoot playing safety is an odd one. Safeties need to be able to hit -- and we've got 4 guys who like to hit playing safety now. Let's just say Smoot's hitting isn't his best talent.

Alexander has helped himself by being versatile. Don't know anything more than what I've read about Bridges, but everything I've read says he didn't cut it as a T, but looked decent as a G.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

romo

"She (Megan Fox) have enough booty for you, Moe?"

I'll quote the blackboard, "Hell Yes!"

And some of you need not take such a light-hearted approach to booty.

I know who you are, you can't hide that lack of good booty pride.

Thick, round, old, young, middle-aged, flat, firm, flaccid, sagging, onion-shaped, waffled by rolls of fat, black from the 'hood, puerto rican from the barrio, white from suburbs, asian from the convenience store: any kind of booty sometimes is better than no booty.

The only place booty can get you into trouble is when you're in prison, and it's uncovered.

There are men who are particular about the shape of booty, but aren't about the grip of their right hand.

Not that I know anything about that.

But I'll print this picture of Megan Fox, and, er, review it (wink, wink)in the privacy of my bathroom.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Phillips is clearly ahead of Wynn. Phillips was the starter before he got hurt, Wynn was a backup in New York. I think we signed Wynn before we knew if Phillips would be back and obviously before we drafted Orakpo. Now Wynn is fighting Alexander and Jarmon for the backup DE spots. We used a 3rd round pick on Jarmon and Alexander is younger.

Wynn only has 2 chances, first if Alexander can't play DE (he played mostly DT last year) or second if we keep 9 defensive lineman. But even if we keep 9, Buzbee and Jackson are both much younger - and Jackson was a late-round draft pick last year.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see the Mayor do an update on the Linebacker positions as a unit.

With Orakpo, Fletcher, and McIntosh entrenched as starters, who are the backups going to be?

Last year we only kept 6 LBs.

Fincher, Blades, and Thomas are the veteran backups. But what about Chris Wilson (hybrid LB/DE) and the 2 draft picks from this year (Glenn and Henson). I would hate to see both a 5th and 6th round pick get cut, but how many LBs can you keep?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

--Stereotyped booty, my favorite! Except the waffles, not even in the morning.

--That's why I use the stranger.

--She's on my wallpaper. Not that I know anything about that. Damn! The bathroom? That's where Pam went?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest

"Buzbee and Jackson are probably gone..."

And if A Dixon impresses again Sat. nite against the stillers second teamers, do you put him on the roster or place on the practice squad knowing someone else might snag him?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

romo

LOL!

LOL!

LOL!

BTW: Fox is a South Florida girl.

We grow them like that down here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Speaking about impressing against the stillers, Jason Campbell could settle a lot of nerves by actually tossing a couple of nice balls for touchdowns.

We read so much about, "...Campbell looked sharp inpractice...."

Let see some of that with J Harrison gunning after him for a couple of series.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Moe, did I read that right? Are you taking credit for Megan Fox??

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

We read so much about, "...Campbell looked sharp inpractice...."

Let see some of that with J Harrison gunning after him for a couple of series.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Moe,

I couldn't agree more with you. JC needs to step up or out, IMO. The O-line gave him time this last preseason game and he did nothing. Still slow to read the D and deliver the ball. The WaPo blames Hagans for not catching the ball on the sidelines, but you'd have to be 10 feet tall to get it.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 18, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Hah Hah, yes!

It's like that, huh? You got a guest bedroom? Cause I'm on my way to visit. F the lobster, p*ssy is brainfood! I guess that makes me P*_evaluator.

Yes, JC17 to the endzone would be nice, I'm hoping #12 helps him out, solidifying him as a possible heir apparent to #81 for a new era.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

wemiss,

I can't recall having heard a damn thing about Rocky this offseason. I missed the preseason game, but the NFLNW recap had him in on a couple tackles, looked pretty sharp.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Damn you post! How did #52 look?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss,

Phillips=Philip Daniels, yes? Not to be confused with the STL Rams runningback.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

er, phillip

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Uh, yeah - Daniels, sorry.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 18, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan

"JC needs to step up or out...The O-line gave him time this last preseason game and he did nothing."

In the preseason, what matters is if one team game plans against the next.

We know the redskin D will show up, it's the O that irritates and disappoints.

Revving his squad up to play the two teams that might be in the AFC Championship game (even if it's for just a couple of 1st team series) will clue us all on on how much of a motivator he is....

...or is not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

The Day's Best Headline:

"Police Revising Policies After Texas Gay Bar Raid"

They have gay bars in Texas?

I guess that's why the Lone Star looks so much like a brown-eye.

(INSERT bad pun groan and effeminate shouts of, "Anti-Cowboy homophobia sucks like I do!" in a foreground of Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanking his tie while complaining about the lack of respect he gets in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan of trying to get a low round draft pick for guys you plan to cut.

I'd rather call another team that I think might want the guy on the chopping block and ask for a 7th round pick. The 7th round pick guarantees that guy goes to them, and isn't picked up by someone else. Small price to pay.

If we pick up the K from Seattle that way, I'd be good with it.

Or if we trade a surplus DL guy for a potential need (say RT).

As for the LBs, I'm hoping Henson stays, mostly because he was in my longshot picks (said he'd start a game) and I already lost my Roydell Williams call.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I won't start to worry about the Skins performance until after week 2 of the regular season.

Preseason doesn't tell me much and while we can beat the jints, its a pretty tall order. By the time week 2 is over, this team needs to look cohesive. If its still ugly 33 days from now ... I'll be both surprised and concerned

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"You'd think Zorn would scheme against the stillers and pats to get a good measure on what type of offense he has."

Whoa. This is preseason scheming.

While the results matter to us hamsters, they matter more to the coaches re: their evaluations of the players vs their given assignments as a learning tool. This is not info to which we are privy, unless given to us after the fact.

Which could mean Osaka Bowl=Lions 4-0 preseason '08, pending sources. I bet the offensive scheme was A-OK in either case.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

If we pick up the K from Seattle that way, I'd be good with it.

Or if we trade a surplus DL guy for a potential need (say RT).

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

With you on both counts.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Using last season as Zorn's track record, I'll start worrying around week 7. Or week 15-16 if we're still in it.

Or week 2, you're right.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

So there are some second year guys from last years draft that may be coming around. Quick poll: How many of last years draft turn in some quality play this season? I've got Rinehart, Moore, Horton, and 1 of the 3 second rounders (possibly 2) Tryon's junk, Colt's a 3rd stringer, Brooks is gone, Jackson's just a guy so I'll say 4 possibly 5.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

vick gets $2 million per
favreeeeh gets $12 million per to play.

the difference? vick killed dogs and favreh kills deer. vick clearly picked the wrong animal to be cruel too.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

saw "the happening" the other day....wow...what a strange, strange, weird, push-your-agenda movie....he should make a movie about killing deer and dogs...

my brain's sunburnt!!! i just broke my promise of not buying anything that danny sells. what can i say drive to kings dominion was 2 hours longer than the drive to six flags and with 2 toddlers...i couldn't help but give danny the business.

Posted by: dealer1 | August 18, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975, I want to see a bit more preseason before I vote.

(Not that I saw the first game, I had that internet watchamacallit with no picture and Sonny J. & company commentary.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 18, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd say four out of the above pics makin the squad ain't bad for any team. I'll say 7 (Moore, Horton, Rhiny, Kelly, Thomas, Sleepy, Colt)not only make the team, but they all contribute (Colt making the roster, not playing significant roll unless he usurps Collins).

Sure, I've bashed Vinny, he's an easy mark. But if what I say is true, he's done a decent job here.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

"This is preseason scheming. While the results matter to us hamsters, they matter more to the coaches re: their evaluations..."

How do you evaluate without scheming?

Most NFL teams scheme the 3rd preseason game anyways.

If I'm Jim Zorn, I see a Super Bowl winning defense coming to town, and I'd like to throw a couple game-planned play series up against it early on so my challenged offensive team thinks, "If we can move and score on them, we can do it against anybody."

"Even if it is the preseason."

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW: Fox is a South Florida girl.

We grow them like that down here.

Posted by: MistaMoe
_____________________________

Yea, but no matter where they's growed, and they's really growed all over, 90% of the best move right here - Hollywood ;) I see 10 Megan's in line every day at Starfookers.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

10 picks in 2008:
Kelly, Thomas, Davis
Rinehart, Tryon
Colt, Brooks
Moore, Horton, Jackson

Horton is a yes, Moore a probable.

Colt, Brooks, Tryon and Jackson are not gonna make it here, if anywhere.

Rinehart is up to a maybe. I think only 1 of the 3 receivers makes it, but 2 could.

I think mgmt will stick with Fred Davis for a long time, just to be stubborn. They should find a home for him on some other team -- and hope to get back something. But that's not the way Vinny operates.

So the guys who stick and play effectively ... 4 hits out of 10.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest

"What I don't like is letting guys go who can play elsewhere ... and get ZERO for it."

This is why I don't like the idea of A Dixon or Edwin Williams being placed on the practice squad.

Perhaps a change teams might seek is blocking other teams from 'cherry-picking' players from practice squads.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Our offense is downright offensive.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Are we going to score a touchdown this week against the Steelers?

Can Jason Campbell throw a touchdown pass against the Steelers?

Will our 2nd year receivers Kelley, Davis,or Thomas catch a TD pass against the Steelers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

How do you evaluate without scheming?

Most NFL teams scheme the 3rd preseason game anyways.

"Even if it is the preseason."

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Yessir. Superbowl D, check. Those game-plan plays come out of our offensive base package in PS, meant to evaluate our players against the Steelers PS base package. I agree, but everything in PS is meant to evaluate personnel. Matchups count, though.

Osaka= Offense RS scheming vs Defense PS packages being my point.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Our offense is downright offensive.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 9:57 PM

But wait, we addressed all the offensive problems in the off season! Oh wait, I forgot no we haven't!

Posted by: joeboggs | August 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Are we going to score a touchdown this week against the Steelers?

Maybe.

Can Jason Campbell throw a touchdown pass against the Steelers?

Maybe he can. Maybe he can't.

Not likely.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can kick a field goal?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Economists estimate that 1.8 million borrowers will lose their homes this year, up from 1.4 million last year, according to Moody's Economy.com.

----------

Mike Williams is lucky to have a chance at a full time job.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

One of the writers at Hogs Heaven pointed out that the 2008 team had the most "3 and outs" in the NFL, yet the team gave up too much on 1st and 2nd down. The team seems to have remedied the lack of pass rush and sacks with the 2009 additions to the defensive line. Speed at the strong side linebacker position may help remedy the need for better stops on 1st and 2nd downs.

Posted by: fwroy | August 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can kick a field goal?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:21 PM

----------

Maybe.

Maybe not, but I like our odds on this one, so I'll say probably yes.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Wait isn't Portis supposed to make a cameo appearance?

What about Sanhamma Moss?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So the guys who stick and play effectively ... 4 hits out of 10.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

First of all, Brooks was cut mid-season last year. 1/10

I'd say Jackson is probably out (numbers game), and Colt will make the roster as 3rd string at least. That's accounting for 3/10.

Rhinehart and Moore are trying to win starting jobs, and Horton probably has one. Tryon will make the squad as 4th or 5th CB. 7/10

Davis, if he can hold on to the ball (history in NCAA says he will), will be the 2nd starting TE in packages, and Kelly and Thomas are vying for starting flanker, with both seeing significant time should they live up to billing. 10/10

So, Brooks was cut and Jackson may not make the team this year, and Colt is the probable #3, maybe #2 (I'm right either way). That means 7/10 picks from last year are vying for serious playing time, if not starting positions. Not bad. Not bad.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Not bad. Not bad.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Describing the taste of humble pie. Hell, I'd have seconds!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Wait isn't Portis supposed to make a cameo appearance?

Expect to see CP on the opening drive, but that's about it. We're afraid to get him injured, which only increases his chance of suffering an injury.

What about Sanhamma Moss?

Same, same...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Kareem "Mookie" Moore. Guy is a gamer. Should be a great depth guy for the next couple years until he leaves to be a starter.

As for Favre - my pal JM220 said that he will "tear the team apart"...that seems, to me at least, to presuppose that the team already has a legit, viable leader. I wouldn't call Rosenfels or Jackson that guy. One is a career backup/journeyman, the other flat out stinks. Not exactly either guy's team. Add in the fact that multiple players were texting/Tweeting about Favre joining the team like a kid on Christmas Eve...they may well have overpaid for him and he could flake out (AGAIN), but I just don't see this tearing the team apart. I for one am psyched to see him back in the league

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 18, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Why can't our owner and FO put together a team like the Giants, young and stacked at just about every position?

Is it just plain STUPIDITY, or ego inspired STUBBORNESS?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Redskins72, you are sportin a major mancrush on the Gmen lately. We'll see about that in a few weeks....I think we're going to surprise you. Eli is still overrated, and without his go to guy, our D will give him major fits.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 18, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 10:27 PM |

----------

Davis' ability to block will weigh most heavily on how often he sees any playing time.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

As far as Farve, I see him falling off toward the end of the season like last year, maybe sooner. He is a year older after all, and his arm is probably nowhere near 100%. Actually I'm sick of Farve and his flip flopping year in and year out.

Can't this guy find something to do with himself after football? Football is not something you can do forever; guess he can't accept that.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:31 PM

----------

Young and stacked will only get you so far in this league.

The Washington Redskins have guys who are "trying to develop."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Chia, don't get roped into 72's negativity. All he does is b!tch and cry.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't this guy find something to do with himself after football?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:38 PM

----------

No, he can't.

Besides, revenge on his former team (the Packers, not the Jets) is his primary motivation

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I for one am psyched to see him back in the league

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 18, 2009 10:31 PM
==========================================

As a Redskins fan, I have to agree. But I'd have a different opinion if Danny got 'em...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 18, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, scamp, but I'm all about the negativity myself.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Yea but that dude has never had a positive thing to say that I can remember. We don't have to drink the kool aid but enough is enough.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Notorius, I hope your right, yeah I know Eli isn't all that,(especially without Plaxico) but you have to admit, the running backs and Defense, especially the line look intimadating. I hope Orakpo and Big Al have Eli wishing the game was over by the second quarter, that is if he's still standing.

I hate the Giants but admire the way the personnell has been selected, and the team put together, just wish our owner and FO would practice some of the same tendencies, so that we'll be young and stacked.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

the young and the stacked...

sounds like a soap opera.

Enough with the Giants envy already. They're not that good.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Scamp you can call it negative, I call it the truth, at a lot of positions we are old and with other positions after the starters we have a big drop off in talent because it's young developers, or projects or rejects. As of last week and right now our offense stinks! You can call it negative. I'll call it a negative truth.

If the Redskins step on the field and not play soft like last week, actually bust somebody in the mouth, score some dam points, and stop the other team from scoring and racking up yardage, I'll be as positively truthful as you can be.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Hope your right chia pet, on opening day I hope they won't be good enough to beat us.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:31 PM

Young and stacked will only get you so far in this league.
The Washington Redskins have guys who are "trying to develop."
Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Name a position other than FB (Sellers), QB (JC), and HB (Portis) that doesn't have a young dude, maybe a potential stud (Orakpo, Horton) challenging for start or rotation?

And when did "trying to develop" guys new to the roster become a sin up here?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Look dude, I realize that we, like many other teams, have some glaring deficiencies, but I don't choose to harp on them non stop while bouncing on the Gints laps. We've all heard what the offenses problems are ad nauseum. Tired of hearing how superior the Ginas are supposed to be. Yes, they won a Super Bowl a couple years ago but not long before that the whole town was clamoring for the heads of the same personel you are stroking. They beat us pretty well last year but the Eagles still ended up further along in the playoffs. We beat them twice. The Ginas are NOT as great as you seem to think. So I say enough already. You can choose to be as negative as you want man, go for it. I'm just tired of hearing your same old boring a$$ tune.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

72,

Redskins vs. Giants will either be a good, close game, or a total blow out.

Either way, we're going to lose.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

And when did "trying to develop" guys new to the roster become a sin up here?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 11:01 PM

----------

Oh, about ten years ago...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Night all, even you 72. If your a Skins fan you're alright with me. Even if I don't agree with you or your outlook.

HAIL!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

And when did "trying to develop" guys new to the roster become a sin up here?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 11:01 PM

Oh, about ten years ago...

Posted by: Chia_Pet72| August 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse
Big distiction:

Up here= RI

Most other places=Cerratto.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

And when did "trying to develop" guys new to the roster become a sin up here?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 18, 2009 11:01 PM
==========================================
Trying to develop guys is a welcome addition to the Danny/Vinny thought process.

But it's not really a good answer to ignoring critical positions as the current player grows into his 30s and is predictably ever more fragile.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 18, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Interesting quote from the Redskins.com blog regarding the WRs:

"Fortunately, Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas performed well today, so Smoot and Hall aren't challenging the second year guys for the spot. Kelly had some tremendous catches throughout the field and demonstrated the skills that caused the 'Skins to draft him in the second round last year. Big hands, long frame, very, very smooth receiver. Honestly doesn't even look like he's trying. That's how smooth he is.

Thomas showed flashes of being a steady, reliable wide-receiver, but Kelly definitely stole the show."

Even if Devin Thomas 'wins' the #2 WR spot, Malcolm Kelly will end up with more of an impact. Dude is a legitimate front-line talent. If you want to pin your hopes on an actual upgrade over Antwaan Randle El, Malcolm Kelly is guy to place your bet on.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I dont know what to make of my skins' anymore.They, with a rare exception,(Steelers and Patriots) play competitive, exciting NFL football at Fed Ex whether the end result is a loss or a win.From that aspect the fans have nothing to complain about,when you reduce it to that level.But the constant turnover at HC has left this team with no identity,and me pesimistic about the near and distant future of this franchise I love.I feel Zorn needed to be groomed ala Jason Garret for a few years,he's not quite ready.Even Fossel would have been better short term at HC.Who knows whats in store next year,SOS I beleive.

Posted by: mark65 | August 19, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Make that the current offensive line.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 19, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

That Haynesworth better be REALLY good, because, so far, he seems like a pompous bully and law enforcement liability.

I sure hope he can Sean Taylor his way into our hearts, because right now, I'm not liking him too much.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 19, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Still looking for MARTY S. EMAIL !! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT IS ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN

Look you lazy bestid, here's how you get it. Use Google to find out his agent. call his agents office, posing as a media person. Ask.

Posted by: TheCork | August 19, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse

the jints are at or near the top of the league on both the OL and DL. I don't think eli is a better QB than Campbell, but when you give him a huge running game, he does OK.

And let's face, the jints don't need superstars at LB and in the secondary with Osi and Tuck. Heck, they were really good without Osi last year. jints lines are the best and they'll be tough even without good WRS or a great QB.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 19, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

b
e
e
p

b
e
e
p

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is one intimidating dude,and his distrust of the public and cynicism only enhance that trait.I believe he is a show me dont tell me guy,which is great.He wants to show everyone including the poor bastard lined up across from him and the Titan's how dominant he is.I'll give it to Snyder on this one at 12 mil he's a bargain.Julius Peppers is making almost 17 mil and so will D.Ware when he signs.Thanks Dan!

Posted by: mark65 | August 19, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo was adorable thursday,the way he was seeking approval from the veterans on the sidelines and virtually starving for they're input.I know it's been discussed ad nauseum but I love this guy,Crabtree could learn alot from Orakpo as far as how to conduct youself as a rookie in the league.He was held most of the night while rushing the QB,I hope he gets those calls against the G-men.

Posted by: mark65 | August 19, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Clint Sintim of UVA Monday night?He looks bigger and stronger since Charlottesville and was making plays left and right,what a pick for the Giants.I only wish he was in another division because he could be a beast.

Posted by: mark65 | August 19, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse