Moss, Randle El Returning Punts? Not For Me

The more I think about the WR situation, the more perilous I believe it could become to use starters Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El to return punts. Losing either one of them right now, particularly to a special teams play, would be a massive blow.

Given where this offense is in its development, the lack of depth or any other proven options at WR, and the slow pace at which rookies Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas have developed because ofdue to injuries and other factors ... I just wonder if this is the way to go.

I've campaigned for someone other than Randle El to return punts since last season - he just hasn't been productive, and he has so many duties on offense that it's a gamble. I'm thinking Thrash would be a natural, but with his injury that's out. It won't be anything fancy or sexy, but he's as tough as nails and as smart as they come and has sure hands.

Rock Cartwright would be solid as well, I believe, as would Ladell Betts (but with Zorn using Portis and Betts on the field at the same time more now, I'm not sure I have him out there, either). I didn't like what I saw from Thomas in the return game in the preseason, and rookie corner Justin Tryon has so-so in the exhibitions, though at this point if he's going to be active, and your convinced he's not going to be a fumble-hazard, then I'd give him a twirl.

(Brief aside on Thomas: For someone who has had the overtly rough time of it that he has, I found it odd that he was so interested in when today's open locker room was over, and when the media would depart. Seems to me he has plenty already on his plate, rather than counting the minutes until the locker room closes. He was five minutes fast by the way, after taking up his cause with the PR staff to ensure that in fact the schlubs should not be thrown out. None of the veterans seemed too worried about it.)

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 18, 2008; 5:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly Puts in OT; Thrash Looks "Promising"
Next: Cards' D Line Overlooked, Underrated

Comments

Punt!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Punt!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree about risking Moss' health on punt returns. I would prefer to take Brian Mitchell's advice and train Rock to do them.I love his straight ahead return style.

Is there some reason Rock can't return punts?

Posted by: Jason | September 18, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Riggins and 980 guys are ripping Vinny's show. They are about to take calls.

Czabe just brought up the possibility of tampering if he slips.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:10 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I would also like to add that in addition to the 4 hours on-air, you would think that he also has to spend time prepping for the show.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas = Taylor Jacobs

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora

----------------
Um, to who, pray tell?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is going hard!!

THey are mocking him hard.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Santana absolutely SHOULD NOT return punts....what the heck are they thinking?

As for Vinny's show....is it surprising that evil Czabe would be knocking it? He knocks everything Redskins. Czabe and JLC should be buddies.

Vinny was just on Redskins Nation. He said Mel Kiper, Adam Schefter and some other person that I can't recall will be calling into his show talking football, college football and Redskins. Said he has time for it.

Posted by: Lisa | September 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Just Say No to Moss as PR. Horrible idea. Moss is to valuable on offense.

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 18, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

nothing to add, just read it

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 5:43 PM

Irvin would not have lasted in Goodell's NFL.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas = Taylor Jacobs

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:13 PM

haha...when thomas gets PT, he will show he aint no Taylor Jacobs.

Jacobs = spurrier player and florida WR

enough said

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sports Reporters are smashing a pitcher of Kool-Aid over Vinny's head.

I believe in B. Mitch.

Posted by: Believer | September 18, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

When Lisa and I see I 2 I, you know it the right thing to do!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 18, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Said he has time for it.

Posted by: Lisa | September 18, 2008 6:17 PM

then he needs to get busier being a GM/EVP

Posted by: Fire Vinny!!!!!!!!! | September 18, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Bill Polian: NFL's Executive of the Year award 5 times (1988, 1991, 1995, 1996, and 1999).

Vinny Cerrato: Acquired geriatric stars like Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Irving Fryar, and Mark Carrier.

Posted by: Believer | September 18, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

In his chat, didn't he answer a question saying that it was a good idea for Moss to do it?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

No, he said real bad idea.

Posted by: Chat Historian | September 18, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

As painful as it is for me to admit, I agree with JaLaC on this one, I would throw Tryon out the myself, he has speed and the quickness that are ideal for punt returns.

I also have to thank JaLaC, since I had to agree with him on a post, he also reminded me why he's such an a$$, why does Thomas being anxious to get the media session over with in a hurry need to be reported at all, let alone to included with a shot "overtly rough time of it that he has". OVERTLY ROUGH? What has been overtly rough about it? The number of rookies in the league who aren't playing at all, or are on the practice squad, or aren't on the roster at all, WTF? Was it a necessary comment? Does it have ANY bearing on ANYTHING?

Posted by: BluCollar Redskin | September 18, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

LACA,

I think a brief description of how Jason Taylor is doing adapting to a new city, new teammates and friends would be a good article after two weeks of the season.

He was so much news in the offseason then it was suddenly not talked about anymore.

Don't You think?

Posted by: Marcelo (Monterrey, Mexico) | September 18, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

All you tipsters, don't forget to do your tips!

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

In other news, the Redskins announced today that in an attempt to win by bringing a proven winner to the team, they have signed the remains of Johnny Unitas to a 3-year, $30 million contract. "He's a proven winner," said owner Daniel "666" Snyder. "And besides," added GM Vinny "the Brain" Cerrato, "Samuels is used to carrying teammates, so this won't seem that different. At least to him. Besides, Otto Graham wouldn't sign unless we got league permission to use a medium instead of a wireless helmet, and the NFL wouldn't agree."

Posted by: Not that far of a stretch | September 18, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I like Rock's kick returning style, but I don't think it translates to punt returns, you have to hit top speed quick, have good lateral movement and you need to be able to make people miss. I reckon we give Tryon a go, I don't think we have much to lose by using him, we need what, zero fumbles and a 5 yard average from him to be an improvement, not exactly a big ask!

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I said it in a blog yesterday if Zorn allows Santana to return punts he'll have the shortest coaching tenure in the history of the NFL.WHY? you have Rock and Thrash to do it use them,why expose your best receiver to injury this is a no brainer also it allows A.R.E. to focus on his pass catching duties instead of thinking about getting hurt returing punts.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | September 18, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Sadly I think most our return guys are injured or too valuable to other positions. Unless we are willing to bench one guy to play westbrook or something.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Randle El said he is tired of fielding questions about the punt returning....said he likes doing it and is going to get better at it.

Posted by: Lisa | September 18, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Unless they have someone practicing all last week than I think its too late to make a switch.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers = Tom Carter

Posted by: Buried Deep | September 18, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Moss returning punts? So if he goes down, we're left with nothing at WR.

Won't vote for an Obama.

Posted by: bringbackfrost | September 18, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Vinny does have a day job that is pretty important and it would be stupid if he had to be on the radio and missed that crucial racquetball game.

As for Moss returning punts, I've been anti any Skins WR returning punts this year since we have so little depth there.

John Taylor, once one of the best WRs in the league, basically lost his career over an injury on a punt return. Darrell Green would have been the best returner in NFL history, but he was too valuable as a cover corner. Tim Brown returned lots of punts early in his career and is still pretty high up on the all time return lists, but that was before they discovered he was a pretty good WR (when did that happen? as soon as Jay Schroeder left the Raiders ...)

There's a reason you don't have critical players returning punts. And with our WRs, ARE and Moss are the only solid ones we got.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S off the wall question of the day.

Gram for gram, ants are among the most powerful animals on earth. So how come they are so healthy when all they eat is junk food?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

There is a jar with 2 bugs in it. The number of bugs doubles everyday. In 50 days the jar is full, what day is the jar half full?

Posted by: Random Brain Teaser Guy | September 18, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

You watch, all this talk about Randel El is going to motivate him! I predict in the Cards game he is going to break off a 10 yarder.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Does; anyone know Vinn'ys talk show, format/

Will he take, questions-from callers?

Dont' you all, think, that is the best; entertainment money can buy if he does!

Posted by: Bad Grammar Guy | September 18, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

he is going to break off a 10 yarder.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:23 PM

Now that is funny!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

10 yards sideways.

Posted by: stumped | September 18, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.....

Santana Moss, WR, Redskins: Very quietly, going back to last year, he now has a touchdown in four straight games.

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas will be a huge bust. I see him as a Taylor Jacobs type without the work ethic! You can already tell the Vets don't think much of him.

Posted by: dcwun | September 18, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Does; anyone know Vinn'ys talk show, format/

Will he take, questions-from callers?

Dont' you all, think, that is the best; entertainment money can buy if he does!

Posted by: Bad Grammar Guy | September 18, 2008 7:26 PM

Maybe this is a stroke of genius on Snyder's part. He figures the more Vinny is around, the more he can mess things up. When he's doing radio, he can't mess up other things. Plus if he screws up on the air, Snyder has a built-in excuse for firing him. You know what this means???? It means Vinny got tired of losing at racquetball....

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Five Quick Questions With Vinny Cerrato on His New Show

Let me start with the basics: what can we expect from the show?

Expect a lot of fan participation and a lot of talk about the Redskins. It’ll be predominantly about the Redskins, and giving the fans an opportunity to kind of hear what’s happening inside the team, and we’ll talk a little local college football and high school football too.

What sort of access will the fans be getting?

We’ll do call-in stuff. Opinions on what happened the day before in the game, and what to look for in the upcoming game.

Some of the online reaction feels that you taking time to do the show will take you away from your other responsibilities. Is that a concern to you at all?

No, none whatsoever. There’s plenty of time to have everything done. I just think it’s a silly question, because whoever has that concern doesn’t know my schedule.

What about talking about players on other teams – is that going to present a problem?

I won’t criticize players [on other teams]. Most of the talk is going to be about the Redskins. We’ll have some guests on that’ll talk about other things.

Is this part of an overall approach to make the organization more accessible?

I think it’s an access for the fanbase, definitely.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

What is this crap? I hope he spills his Starbucks in his lap & burns himself!

From Peter King:

Arizona Cardinals (2-0) at Washington Redskins (1-1)

Someone explain this to me: How can Kurt Warner be better at 37 than he was at 27, or at 33? You can look it up, by the way. He's playing better in the last 12 months than at any point in his career except for his three Superman years in St. Louis from 1999 to 2001.

Prediction: Arizona Cardinals 34, Washington Redskins 24

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

+++Two of the dumbest things I've seen coming from the Skins are to have Vinny doing radio for 2-4 hours a week and have Santana Moss return punts.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 7:08 PM+++

Do I have to do ALL the thinking on this board?

Give Moss a four hour radio show and make Vinny return punts.

It's NOT rocket science, guys...

Posted by: Corkczar, Deep Thinker | September 18, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

What Vinny says speaks volumes.
BTW, who does know Vinny's schedule?

Posted by: stumped | September 18, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, tough crowd. Two games into his career and Thomas is being labeled Taylor Jacobs?

Seems a little premature.

Posted by: Jason | September 18, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

could be worse... he could be Receiver, The.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 18, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

or even worse, John "Satan" McSame.

or even worse, George W Bush.

or even worse,
hmm.
let me think about that one.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 18, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Just in case anybody is interested, the Redskins have litered my inbox with the standard "visiting team return" emails every day this week... maybe even twice a day. It's truly disturbing, especially after looking at about 10k empty seats at the home freaking opener last week. Last Sunday I also watched scalpers ask for less than 1/2 of face value and saw fans literally giving away tickets at the gates for free. Oh, and these "visiting team" returns are located in any section in the stadium and you can get 4-8 together. WOW. Tickets to a Skins game have become as special as tickets to see the worlds smallest woman at the circus.

Speaking of circus acts, Vinny Ceratto on the air? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Here is how I see Vinny's schedule starting tomorrow:

7am roll out of bed , read and burn Washington Post
8am Sportscenter - aka scouting
9am racquetball with Napolean
9:45 shower and wash Napolean's hairy back
10-noon radio show - hilarity ensues
noon lunch at POPPPPEYEEESS with Dan
1-4 watch practice and schmooze with Dan on the golf cart
5pm prep for the next days radio show
6pm dinner at Papa John's. That's 3 free toppings after our 3 TD's last week
7-9 rehearse for next days radio show with the worlds smallest man, Daniel Snyder and that goon, Larry Michael
10pm watch sportsnite, hope to catch Terps/VT/UVA highlights for scouting
1030 pm read bed time story to Napolean and rock him to sleep

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | September 18, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

ah, I've got it! Either Vinnie, Dan, or Jasno, depending on the particular hallucinogens you prefer.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 18, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Greetings, my panicky friends! Week 3 and your team is deep into self-destruct mode. First your TE Cooley decides to expose himself all over the internet. Then your (ahem)"vice-president of football operations and keeper of the urinal cakes" decides he has all kinds of time for a radio show. Excellent! Now they decide to put their best wide receiver on punt returns! Your team simply cannot handle any kind of success, even if it's a lowly comeback win over the Saints....you'll be easy pickings for the Cardinal attack on Sunday.

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Why do the Saints use their best player to return punts? Because he makes big plays, as we all know so well. Why not use Moss? Seriously, how many punt returners are out this year because of injury returning a punt? There may be someone, but I can't think of any.

Posted by: AwesomeMossem | September 18, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I never thought that there could be a worse FO person than Matt Millen, but your Cerrato dude is aiming for the top spot in a hurry. Nice draft you had! How's those new receivers working out? How about that punter? Glad things are going so well he has so much free time to host a radio program......

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What is this crap? I hope he spills his Starbucks in his lap & burns himself!

From Peter King:

Arizona Cardinals (2-0) at Washington Redskins (1-1)

Prediction: Arizona Cardinals 34, Washington Redskins 24

Posted by: will_ga | September 18, 2008 7:44 PM

Look up what SJ9 did when he was between 37 and 40. When he wasn't injured (and he was injured most of the time), he was the best QB in football. Even won the passing title at age 40.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of urinal cakes, what a letdown! You think they're going to be like Snoballs, but, my friends, let me tell you that they taste nothing like them.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Kurt Warner is going to need nipple transplants when Blache blitzes them off of him, King Card.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AwesomeMossem | September 18, 2008 8:27 PM

Reggie Bush is a great open field player. But he averages 3.3 a carry. He's not the every down guy that Moss is.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Cload & Dagger: too, too funny!!!!

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:24 PM

Can the Cards handle success? Oh thats right, there no way to know since they've never had success.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I never thought that there could be a worse FO person than Matt Millen...

-----------------------------------

Just compare first round drafts.

Joey Harrington,
Charles Rogers,
Roy Williams,
Mike Williams

vs.

Sean Taylor,
Carlos Rogers,
Jason Campbell,
LaRon Laundry.

End of story.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

They'll get to Warner maybe twice, tops. But he's been around long enough to adjust. Jason, however, will soil himself after his 3rd sack of the first half. We'll spend the rest of the game concentrating on Portis, 'cause Campbell will be firing high, low, and toward the sidelines, thinking he hears footsteps.

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

3 of the top 10 guys in receving yards are playing at FedEx. Boldin 3rd, Moss 7th and Fitzgerald 9th. 6TDs among them.

And both teams have issues on the o-lines. Should be interesting.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor is the only blue-chipper in that list. Landry got owned like a Yorkie by Brandon Jacobs. Carlos Rogers couldn't cover his own mother with a quilt, and Jason Campbell has an occasional good game between long stretches of poor ones...

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------

You know, the NFL should really avoid scheduling pansies so back to back so fans dont get their hopes up so much.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:40 PM
----------------------------------------

The debate was Cerrato vs. Millen, so the above analysis is immaterial. Nice job trying to change the subject, tho.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:35 PM

Give me a break. Who is more important to their team, R. Bush or S. Moss? You could argue, but it would be hard not to say Bush, yet they use him to return punts.

I love Santanta, he is the best playmaker on the team hands down. There is no player more enjoyable to watch with the ball. If we have the opportunity to get the ball in his hands more often, why not?

Why is everyone so scared to have him field punts? He is not made of glass. He does not need to be like Mike Nelms and never call for the fair catch.

Posted by: AwesomeMossem | September 18, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

This King Card kid sounds like he hasn't even seen a Skins game.

Posted by: Gfunk | September 18, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

AwesomeMossem,

I thik more of the depth issue. Reggie Bush plays a prominent role in the Saints Offense, but they have recievers and running backs, and Bush just amplifies everything they do.

Santana doesnt amplify our offense, he IS our offense thus far. If he goes down, we have ARE and Thrash as our top 2 recievers. Thats not an offense I want to see.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

AwesomeMossem,

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:59 PM

Yes, I agree about the depth issue. I just remember the days when D. Green would return a punt or two. There was so much excitement just to have him back there. I would love to get someone back there and feel that again.

Posted by: AwesomeMossem | September 18, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"keeper of the urinal cakes"
I don't agree with KC about much, but this sums it up beautifully.

(Seriously, don't expect to stir things up on this blog by criticizing Vinny or the FO. That's is our bread and butter up here.)

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday......

Posted by: stumped | September 18, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I've said before. I'll take 10K a game check to catch the ball (I do have good hands) and fall forward.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

My returns would work on the same principle as a change-up. They get used to fast and then I come in and they start whiffing left and right :)

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Bah, you are all wrong. Random inflammatory statement. Rot in hell.

Thus ends my recap of the comments on the blog in the past few days.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 18, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Warner should have a pretty good day against you guys. He was a wounded duck last year; still can't figure how he lit you guys up like that. Shouldn't have happened; that's why I'm so optimistic about this week...

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

didn't mean to kill the blog....

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm going back to yesterday's comment on punt returners.

Don't use anyone. We don't need a stinkin return guy. Rush 11 (or 9, you do need to cover the outside guys). The punter will shank some and even a little bobble would mean a block. Plus, there is no way our returner can fumble the kick.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Man,

What happened to Jason this week. He is an angry vengeful dude. I thought the fat man was a jolly man or is that just a stereotype?

Posted by: JamesTuthill | September 18, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 9:49 PM

Doh, it's a fake. I think you want to cover the outside guys, no?

Posted by: SMACK | September 18, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

maybe if we could block better ARE would be a better returner..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Woops, I read you wrong, Zeke. But I think setting up the return prevents fakes, and you can't leave the middle open.

Give Tana a chance though. Deion did it. It's like giving him three or four extra touches a game in open space.

Posted by: SMACK | September 18, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

maybe if we could block better ARE would be a better returner..

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:55 PM

If he ran North/South instead of East/West he would gain more yards on his returns. Jukin' dudes out of their jockstrap is cool, but you don't have to do it all the time. Field position is the name of the game.

Posted by: JinxMan | September 18, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Czabe is going hard!!

THey are mocking him hard.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:17 PM

Sports reporters are mocking in defense because they just realized that any smuck can do what they do.

Posted by: someone | September 18, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: someone | September 18, 2008 10:08 PM

Proof is Emmitt Smith on ESPN.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Or as Emmitt pronounces it:

"Emmitt Smif"

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Found this on the Colts Web Site:

THE BILL POLIAN SHOW
Saturdays at 11:30pm on WISH-TV
Last year’s top rated Colts Television show is back for another year. Colts President Bill Polian takes you through a first-hand look at your 2008 Indianapolis Colts.

I guess maybe TV doesn't take as much time as radio.

Posted by: Lifelong Fan | September 18, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Why does 980 hate Vinny and Danny so much?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 18, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, James Thrash is back...Guess now AZ will have to double him...

C'mon...who's afraid of James Thrash?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 18, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone watching America's Game?

Posted by: LH | September 18, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Random Brain Teaser Guy | September 18, 2008 7:22 PM

Day 49

Posted by: Random Brain Teaser Solver Guy | September 18, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:27 PM

I guess we shouldn't be surprised Cardinals fans are so desperate for a winning atmosphere they have to comb websites for blogs of other teams in the league.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Card | September 18, 2008 8:27 PM

I always thought that the reason draft evaluators didn't like to give a draft a grade until 3-4 years later, was because it generally took that long for these young guys to fully develop their talents. Unless of course we're talking about Buster Davis.

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 9:49 PM

Wouldn't work, punting averages would go way up because the punter doesn't have to worry about hang-time, they can just let loose with an end-over-end line drive, using the bounce of the ball to their full advantage.

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

1- Our Offense and WR in particular is entirely too dependent upon Santana Moss to risk him returning punts.

2- Vinny doing radio instead of working hard?
Has Danny lost his mind?
Vinny spending 4hours a week w/ fans?
Is vinny trying to become famous or is he wanting to win in the NFL?

3- If Vinny wanted to do one hour [one hour max] a week,where he was the weekly gues of Czabe or maybe Riggins or Larry Michael, then what the harm?

But anything more than one hour, I have to ask, "What is Vinny doing to earn his salary?"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:49 PM

The reason we wanted young drafted WR's over someone like Ocho Cinco, is because what we get from them in the long term is more important than what we get from them NOW.

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 18, 2008 10:55 PM

-----------------------

washing the dan's cars, mulching, lawn mowing and other groundskeeping chores as well as shaving his coin purse.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Okay, what the heck is this alla bout? From RI:
Blah blah blah blah..............You kill this team for not having any public relations with the fans and for keeping to many things to themselves so they try to put themselves out there and be more accessible for the fans and to put themselves out there and you kill them. It must be nice to be someone whose never been ultimately responsible for anything in their careers other than being a beat reporter for a sports team. Oh, and make sure you tell Steinberg to stop posting most read writers on the paper, because for you to be 3rd in DC during football season while you've been here for 4 years and should have an established following is ridiculous. You're own paper should be closely monitoring this because the people of DC just flat out don't care to read you.
You're act is old little man!
Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 8:51 AM

Then from Jason's chat:
C'ville Va: I speak for thousands of Skins fans when I say that if I had the choice of giving away Jason La Canfora or giving away Dan Snyder, I wouldn't have to think for a second.
Don't let the fanboys get you down.
Jason La Canfora: No worries brother.
Like I said, it's part of the gig and something I came to grips with long, long ago.
Thanks for the support.

I smell a 2 faced troll.

Posted by: dlhaze | September 18, 2008 2:51 PM
___________________________________

Sorry dlhaze, wasn't me on the chat man. I posted in the morning after getting caught up and was at work, which is on the road, during the chat. I also live in a different state than VA, so I'm not a 2 headed troll as you say.

Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Found this on the Colts Web Site:

THE BILL POLIAN SHOW
Saturdays at 11:30pm on WISH-TV

I guess maybe TV doesn't take as much time as radio.

Posted by: Lifelong Fan | September 18, 2008 10:18 PM

You will note that the show is on Saturdays (travel/light day).

It is one show.

Pollian has taken six teams to the Super Bowls and won one.

Vinny is an ass.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | September 18, 2008; 5:49 PM ET

___________________________________

Can someone please tell me what the correlation is between having a rough time in his rookie season and worrying about when the media would be out of the locker room? I'd really like to know how the two are related. The only thing I can think of is Thomas declined an interview or he didn't want to be like Ladell, Rock and Khary and give JLC his cell number so they could be text buddies.

Posted by: CVille | September 18, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I just can't buy it. No way can you convince me that 2 hours on a Monday, a couple more hours during the week are needed in order for VC to do his VP of FBO job. My guess is that he is putting 90 hours more or less in a 7 day week into the VP job and that 4 hours of that is going to make him a failure (at least anymore than he currently is).

People on here like to panic for the smallest reasons. JLC just likes to hate. If we have a season ending injury to one of our players, I am sure that right now there is a list of players that the team has to try to trade for, sign as an FA. A plan in place. If not, then these guys are not currently doing their jobs. If someone wants to trade for one of our players, then they will just have to wait for VC to call them back.

As for radio personalities making a big deal out of it, someone above said it best. This could just prove that anyone can do radio.

Time to let this thing just die.

Posted by: Redskins Fan | September 18, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

TE, your brother's name isn't Nathan by any chance is it?

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

i've got a different take on Vinny. i'd rather have him on the air than at Redskin Park. he can do the team less harm that way.

Posted by: mdrockjock | September 18, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

PostGameHeroes have posted their review of our offense against the Saints. I love reading that stuff. They've even added clips to describe what they're talking about. Sounds like Rabach is struggling a little so far this season.

Posted by: kost52 | September 19, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Maybe you read Jason La Canfora's report last night that Vinny Cerrato will soon host a two-hour, twice-a-week radio show on ESPN 980? Well, some ESPN 980 hosts heard it, and, well, let's just say they weren't exactly rolling out the burgundy carpet for their newest colleague.

No, actually, let's not just say it; let's extensively quote from their opening segment this afternoon in which they devoted 13 minutes to absolutely crushing their new co-worker. And let's also note that, whatever the final result of Daniel Snyder's local media buy-up, it has at least produced a week of the most entertaining local sports talk I can remember. I'll keep loving this right up until the day that Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin and Brian Mitchell and all the rest are shipped off to the Marty Schottenheimer Retirement Community.

Andy Pollin: Vinny Cerrato...is executive vice president of football operations of the Redskins, a title he was given on January 22, 2008. In the Redskins media guide this is how Vinny's job is described: "Cerrato assumes all aspects of the team's football organization, including personnel, directing the Redskins' draft, identifying free agency needs and acquisitions, coordination of all pro and college player evaluations, and the day to day football operations of the organization." Now does this sound like a man who has time for another job, particularly during the football season?

Steve Czaban: Well I'll say Andy, that's a pretty big job....This is a big title. Biiiig job right here. VP of football operations....

Pollin: Well apparently all those duties made him kind of bored, because Vinny has now begun moonlighting on this station. And starting tomorrow he will begin a regular 10 to noon show on this station called "Inside the Red Zone with Vinny Cerrato."

Sound Effect: GOOD GOD!

Czaban, in ironic voice: Now Andy, wait a minute, doesn't he have football operations to operate?

Pollin: You would think.

Czaban, in naive voice: Where will he find the time to do all that AND do a radio show?

Pollin: He seems to have found the time in his busy day which includes all these duties to host a show on Mondays and Fridays from 10 to noon....Now I don't know anything about being the vice president of football operations but I do know something...

Czaban: ...About doing a radio show.

Pollin: Yes. And I've done one for about 30 years, and the general rule of thumb--as suggested by our boss, the CEO of Red Zebra, Bruce Gilbert--is one hour of preparation for every hour on the air, at least that.

Czaban: Are you saying that Vinny's gonna have to spend at least two to four hours prepping for this show on Mondays and Fridays?

Pollin: So I would think if he wants to do a good job its not four hours of radio a week, it's eight hours of radio a week....As a Redskins fan for 40 years, 42 years, I am angry about this because I like to see my team, the team I have rooted for, the Washington Redskins, WIN GAMES. And management of the Redskins and ownership is telling us that positive spin on what they are doing is more important than spending time helping the team to win.

Czaban, in confused voice: Oh Andy, you don't know if it's gonna be spin on the Vinny Cerrato Show. It might be straight talk, hard hitting, "unfiltered"--as the team likes to say--insight into what's going on with the team....

Pollin: On a Monday from 10 to 12, Vinny is liable to be talking to Bob from Bowie or Steve from Silver Spring or Frank from Falls Church, and might not know that Ryan Grant is available and needed at the running back position.

Czaban, in churlish voice: Oh what are the chances that somebody calls with a trade offer between 10 and noon, that would never happen. He's got voice mail, he'll just pick it up after the show....

Pollin: At the end of the year, if the Redskins don't win the Super Bowl, it is 100 percent completely fair to say that part of the reason they didn't win it was because the general manager--I'm sorry, the vice president of football operations--was spending four hours a week on the air flapping his gums instead of seeking out talent to help the team to win games....

Czaban: All I say is this: I want some control of the team dammit. If Vinny can do two hours on Mondays and Fridays, just give me a small slice of the team to control.

Well, yeah, welcome indeed. Later, Czaban suggested that the reason this show will suddenly debut in week three of the NFL weeks after Red Zebra took over 980, is because the shows hosts have been too critical in recent days. Well, if that's the case, today's program should have put those concerns to rest, huh?

By Dan Steinberg | September 18, 2008; 5:18 PM ET |

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Made it to Oahu. Its lovely. I recommend it if you can swing it.

Enough of that.

Campaigning??????? WTF??? Why don't you give up your job and go intern for a pro club (in any league, you seem to be qualified judging from your pronouncements) and work yourself into a GM position?? No wonder Vinny hates you. You have an incredibly overinflated sense of self importance. Maybe i can make 2 billion shorting financial issues, buy the team off Snyder and hire JLC as my GM. Oh wait...JLC might think its a good idea to tell the world about impending trades and signings before they are actually done deals to give other clubs a chance to pull the rug out from under him. Maybe he would not be such a good choice afterall.

And for the record, I think doing a radio show as a GM is a REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID F'ING Idea. Unbelievably stupid.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 19, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

+++Whoa, whoa. Timeout. Ok, Cerato might be bad, but NObody has the patent on stink like Millen does.

Just compare first round drafts.

Joey Harrington,
Charles Rogers,
Roy Williams,
Mike Williams

vs.

Sean Taylor,
Carlos Rogers,
Jason Campbell,
LaRon Laundry.

End of story.
Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 18, 2008 8:38 PM+++

I feel SO MUCH BETTER knowing that Vinny is not THE worst GM in football.

Posted by: Corkczar, Deep Thinker | September 19, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: someone | September 18, 2008 10:08 PM

They get paid for it. You're just a schmuck on a board. BIIIIG diff.

Posted by: Paid Sports Reporter | September 19, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

++++...and before people go and point out DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal, remember Tampa Bay's Michael Clayton? He went for 80 Rec's 1193yds and 7 TD's in his rookie season in 2004. Since then he hasn't had more than 33 Rec's in a season, and only has 1 TD.

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:58 PM+++

Your reasoning is valid, but you have to admit the early returns are discouraging.

Royal And Jackson have dominated games and caught a slew of passes. They showed up in shape, impressed their coaches and learned the playbook.

Thomas and Kelly both showed up OUT OF SHAPE, injured themselves because of that, POed their coach and apparently STILL don't know the playbook. Neither has been able to beat out an ancient special teams player named Thrash.

Posted by: Corkczar, Deep Thinker | September 19, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 18, 2008 9:49 PM

Posted by: kost52 | September 18, 2008 10:54 PM

Only if they have the time. In this case, someone always goes in free. A few times a year, the snap is high or low and you'll block each of those. Plus, the kicker knows he has to move faster, so he'll sacrifice distance for getting the kick away. Probably shank some of them.

As for a fake, its a big risk if the Skins go with the eligible guys. Plus they don't put QBs back there to block.

No PR, rush everyone. Use Tryon coming off the edge, he's fast!!

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 19, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

As for Thrash, he got injured last year in the only game he had major PT. Seems like the guy might not be able to stay healthy at this point in his career.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 19, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Zeke,
I think Thrash is at that age where a game has a big impact on him and he should be taking a day or so off afterward. Brunell used to need extra time off to recover from games due to age didnt he?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 19, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, cant believe I missed all of the talk on the fantasy football emails...

Brandon Noble on EITM

Posted by: Zebra | September 19, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I should say that the emails to our personal accounts that are linked to the First and greatest FF league. Funny stuff

That is not my normal email and dont check it as often as I should...

Posted by: Zebra | September 19, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora |

Jason, I don't know how much you read these posts, but give me an f'ing break. This is such crap. Who cares? Are you really surprised that a young guy like Thomas would rather avoid some of the media exposure that so far has really only led to criticism? You shouldn't be.

As you say he's already got enough on his plate. Lay off the guy.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | September 19, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Couple of things...Wasn't Randle El brought in to primarily return punts and gadget plays, then out of necessity he became one of our top receivers and lets be honest he is not a #2. I like him, lots of energy, but not a #2 receiver. Someone commented about Warner getting better in old age - sounds like a Roger Clemens solution to me...Didnt D. Thomas return punts in college and k/offs and was pretty good at it. This may be a way for him to establish himself as a decent draft pick and warm up in the receiving corps.

Any word on Fred Davis doing anything, I know it will be hard due to Cooley, but anything...

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 19, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Bad idea for Moss to return punts. It isn't worth the risk - he's finally healthy, and looks like he's in 2005 form again (finally).

As for an early post pointing out the acquisitions of Smith, Carrier, Fryar, etc...

...will people just get past this. It's almost 9 years ago, for Christ's sakes.

Posted by: Shaun | September 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse