Moss In; Vincent and Patten Out

Top receiver Santana Moss is scheduled to play Sunday against Carolina, making considerable progress on his hamstring injury, but starting safety Troy Vincent and depth receiver David Patten will both miss the game due to hamstring problems. Coach Joe Gibbs said all signs point towards Moss playing after missing two games, although the team will continue to monitor him closely on Sunday.

Moss is Washington's only consistently productive receiver, and should give first-year starting quarterback Jason Campbell an elite deep passing target to compliment his strong arm. Moss had not dressed for two of the last three games and the only game he did play this month - at Philadelphia - was in a limited role. Gibbs said Moss was heavily involved in the decision to upgrade his status to probable, and made good strides this week in practice.

"He took more and more work this week and what we want is a happy guy," Gibbs said. "But we also need him in there if there's any way. So he had good work this week and came along at the right pace for himself. We kind of leave that up to him, he's had hamstrings before. So hopefully we'll get him back healthy."

Gibbs said the team had not discussed whether they would dress an extra receiver - rookie Mike Espy - for the game or utilize the normal four receivers on game day.

Vincent, who experienced lengthy injury problems with Buffalo before being signed last month, will miss his first game. Vincent, 35, quickly assumed a starting role just days after joining the Redskins, playing ahead of high-priced free agent Adam Archuleta. Patten has been injured much of the time since being signed as a free agent in 2005, and could be in his final weeks as a Redskin.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 24, 2006; 2:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Award Time
Next: Inactives

Comments

I hope Moss is not rushing back. JLC does this mean Fox will start?

Posted by: jm220 | November 24, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Could mean Archuleta back in....or maybe Doughty?

Posted by: Lisa | November 24, 2006 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Panthers 27
Skins 24

Another nice performance by JC, but it just isn't enough. Skins' run D shows up on Sunday, but nobody in the secondary can slow down Steve Smith. The only way to win this one is for the D to create multiple turnovers -- and we know how likely that is.

Posted by: CMoney | November 24, 2006 4:02 PM | Report abuse

ohh and I HEART HOWARD BRYANT!!!!!!!! heard him on 980 for like half hour and just couldn't get enough of him. and GREAT JUICY ARTICLE!!!!!

sorry i posted it in the previous post...but wanted to post here...

Posted by: dealer | November 24, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Read Tom Friends article on the Redsksins defense on espn.com. If it is anywhere near accurate, and I somehow think it is, Williams has to go.

Posted by: Rich from Salisbury | November 24, 2006 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Operative phrase for this week's game: "Touchdown Steve Smith."

Posted by: P Diddy | November 24, 2006 7:17 PM | Report abuse

JLA,

Thats some preety deep info in the ESPN article. Can you verify any of it? One would think that you would have picked up on some of the pre-eagles game stuff.

It sounds like full rebellion on the defense. And what about the idea that Preliou was going to start over Archuletta in the season opener b4 he got hurt? Would that make him the most overpaid back-up ever??

Sounds like Taylor is all screwed up now, not knowing what to think due to Jackson-Gray-Grilliams. Like the article mentions, I remember him having wicked ballhawking skills in coverage in his first year that seem to have gone straight downhill each year, and if what the article says is true, and he is aked to support the run weak cover two and react to routes instead of reading the QB, no wonder he bites so much on fakes and run action. This whole thing sounds crazy!

Is Friend reliable?

Posted by: ESPN-Deep_as_thebeat | November 24, 2006 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Read the ESPN article. *sigh*

jm - you've been calling it for a long time, these guys aren't and won't play for Gwilligan it seems. Sure as PDaniels said they need to step up but it seems the locker room atmosphere is too soured.

J-La is the Friend article pretty accurate on how the D is feeling? Or is it some players making all these noises to various reporters in order to ramp up the pressure to get Grilliams fired?

Saw Deja Vu today. Awesome! Totally preposterous plot but awesome! Eye candy for boys and girls and great action.
Repeat post from previous thread sorry.

Dealer - what made your heart pitter pat about HBryant? Sports radio drives me to distractin plus I'm in SF.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 24, 2006 9:11 PM | Report abuse

here's the link to tom friends article:

IT'S A MUST READ!!!

Posted by: Rob | November 24, 2006 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, fascinating article on ESPN.

Posted by: P Diddy | November 24, 2006 10:08 PM | Report abuse

>>> "Is Friend reliable?"

Tom Friend is a good journalist, and used to be the 'Skins beat reporter for the WashPo. I like to think that most of the Staff Writers at the WashPo have the requisite integrity to go with the job. We've never heard of a scandal out of the paper, and they're generally tenacious and respectful in their approach. There's no reason to believe Friend is any different now.

He seems to have used (or at least quoted) only one inside source, however. Not sure how he corroborated his story, but I doubt someone of his caliber wouldn't have gone to print without the necessary backup facts.

Regardless, it's hard to defend this entire coaching staff's results, isn't it?

Posted by: P Diddy | November 24, 2006 10:17 PM | Report abuse

One more thing: isn't it funny that the things that spell doom on professional sports teams are the same things that spell doom in our own, more mundane professional lives?

Selfish employees, self-centered and arrogant managers, an inability for management to connect with its staff, etc.

Football players may make millions and drive fancy cars and get all the girls, but at the end of the day it's still a job, and still susceptible to the same garbage that all of us are susceptible to.

Posted by: P Diddy | November 24, 2006 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Tom Friend brought it. The sad thing is its so scary you can't make that stuff up.

Posted by: calebt17 | November 24, 2006 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I bet when they ferret out the identity of the article's primary source, said source shall have his red Swingline stapler taken away...

Posted by: Thor | November 24, 2006 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I second P's post. I remember reading a bunch of friend's stuff when he was on the skins beat and he always brought it. headed over to take a read.

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | November 24, 2006 11:06 PM | Report abuse

That article was disheartening to read as a Redskins fan.

Coach Williams: WAKE UP AND LOSE YOUR EGO. MAYBE NOW YOU'LL REALIZE YOUR SO-CALLED SYSTEM SURVIVES ON PLAYERS WHO CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN. THE SYSTEM DOESN'T WIN ITSELF.

Coach Jackson: POUTING????? YOU AREN'T GETTING PAID TO POUT. GET OUT OF TOWN IF YOU'RE GONNA ACT LIKE YOU'RE STILL IN THIRD GRADE.

I feel for guys like Sean Taylor...calling out players the night before a game? I really don't want to say it but this organization better take a good long hard look at the front office BEFORE addressing any player personnel issues. If Williams is going to have an ego his ass needs to be kicked to the curb. There's no room for that.

In a way as mad as I am about this article I'm glad it's come to light. I'm glad that it came out. Should be very interesting to see if Williams is asked about some of the things that came out. Of course he'll either deny it or brush it off. Wow...this defense has self destructed. One can only hope in someway imaginable that in that meeting the other day Gibbs was able to light a fire...or at least a spark. We shall see.

UGHHHHHH WAKE UP IN THE ORGANIZATION..ALL OF YOU. WAKE UP AND FIX THIS MESS YOU'VE CREATED.

Nuff said.

Hail

Posted by: Jonathan | November 24, 2006 11:16 PM | Report abuse

gotta say that the article foots with what we've seeing this year. can't say whether or not it is true but it sure rings true . . .

went back to last year's game by game stats to compare to this year. have not gotten through the analysis, but on the surface offense this year actaully seems like it is doing about the same or better than last year, if you look at the first 60% of plays or so to control for some of the garbage time stats . . .I'll post more on this later.

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | November 24, 2006 11:54 PM | Report abuse

one Q...read HB's strong article this am and decided to go back to the tivo to check out the plays dissected by jaws. no way to pick up on half the stuff b/c of the camera angles etc. is it just me or does anyone else feel the same?

seems like there is room for an enhanced, subscription-based service that gives you more than you get on regular tv today...

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | November 25, 2006 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Tom Friend is one of the original "4" Bullets fans, which is now up to 15 or so (I am a BulletsFan since '77-78 - hey, I remember the CJ half-court shot)!

Tom F. is on a misson - but don't be fooled. He smoked JLC and HB as a writer, until this year - until this long weekend! HB and JLC - you are gold!

You 2 are at and beyond the level of David Aldridge and Tom Friend now. This weekend's stories SMOKE all others before you - great work!

Both DA and TF are from this area (DC and it's ' Burbs) ,while HB and JLC are not. However, we can only hope that TF is right-on, which only one-ups HB and JLC, until next week.

Dump Gregg Wiilams, but especially Dale Lindsay (read former WP writer Nunyo Demasio in SI to understand that F'er!!!!). Skins record was 2 and 2 this year at the time he called out Lavar.

I do hope, however, TF takes on Ernie and EJ next, because the Wiz (what a horribly mis-named team) take on a change!!!!!!!!! Gil is a coach killer, along with AnTaWWWWWWn!!!! Caron is the best of that team. If you can drive and dish (Hello KP), please sign up.

BTW - Hope Art gets the respect this year for the HoF, but doubt it, thanks to Zimmerman and his genital warts. Where has the Flaming Redhead been lately anyway????????

Actually, she's not the issue - it's the ignorance of PZ that is. 8 yard hooks?????!!! Did he actually write that? Somebody bodyslam Zim!!!!!.

Boycott CNN and SI (sorry Nunyo) until this is resolved!

Hail Marv Brooks!

Posted by: BulletsFan | November 25, 2006 12:06 AM | Report abuse

i concur that article's a good article on espn.

it appears we have our first sign of DISSENTION!!!! on this team.

and i heart HBryant because of the article he wrote in washpo today i guess....

Posted by: dealer | November 25, 2006 12:26 AM | Report abuse

By the way Smoot is benched in Minnesota yet again.

Posted by: calebt17 | November 25, 2006 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Oy-yoi-yoi! That article did absolutely nothing for my confidence in the defense. It's sort of like seeing what you thought you saw come clear and wide open. Darn clear why it seems just about the entire defense has self-destructed, and not pieces on their own.

Most frightening thing is to wonder just what's going to happen down the road - will Gwilligan finally get off his island and paddle himself back to the mainland with the rest of the world, or will it be players like Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington that end up bailing first, before we see the change in coaches....

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 25, 2006 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Phenominal article.

Posted by: Skinz | November 25, 2006 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I read the Tom Friend article and it really supports a lot of the feelings I have been having about the defense ever since the season began. Splitting up the safeties and corners is a disaster waiting to happen (wait - it has already happened). I have been harping on the linebacker play and blame a lot of it on Dale Lindsey but the line has really been bad all year. Now I see why. There really are too many cooks and the broth stinks.

Gibbs needs to take the team back and start dictating results to the coaches. If the coaches can't provide the results then they need to be gone or to change their methods in order to improve the results. It sounds like Williams is a micromanager who is over concerned with the process; or has confused the process with the results.

I agree that he provided good results the previous two seasons with no name players. However the added layers of coaching this season have provided nothing that enhances the process (in fact have actually complicated and confused the process); and certainly resulted in the self destruction of what should have been a decent defense.

Offensively, I agree with Jaworski. The line and pass blocking has been lacking this year, particularly at the tackle positions. I could never understand why Samuels was rated as an all-pro at his position when he constantly drew procedure penalties. Now I know why our previous left-handed quarterback was so quick to throw the ball away - he could see it coming around and through Samuels. In Samuels defense, it has been pointed out that he was getting left on his own out there most of the time. That was probably because other teams were bringing the blitz from the other (blind) side against the left handed quarterback. That exposed the shortcomings of our right tackle (who as Jaworski said) is getting pushed backwards a lot more than he has ever been before.

The Oline is having problems stopping even simple blitz schemes and that is not really indicative of what used to go on when Bugel coached the Oline. It just looks like the whole blocking package is confused (last game: blocker stands watching the defensive end who backs up into pass coverage, while the linebacker runs around him on the outside to sack the Qback).

Thats enough for now - I can't stand much more of this crummy play but I CAN'T STOP WATCHING.

Posted by: oldskinsfan | November 25, 2006 10:04 AM | Report abuse

That was a truly great article: the defense is a smoking, whithering hulk of refuse. Gotta believe Gwilligan is gone at the end of the year if even half of that is true.

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand much more of this crummy play but I CAN'T STOP WATCHING.

It's like watching a train wreck.

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Every day looks like a better and better day to become a Chargers fan, huh?

This team has stunk for 14 years, will likely continue to stink for several years to come, and shows no signs of learning from its past transgressions.

One day, we'll look back on all of this and realize that these were the bleak years for the franchise, in much the same way the old-timers look back on the 50s and 60s 'Skins teams.

It is sad.

Posted by: P Diddy | November 25, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe the ESPN article. What the hell is going on here. This franchise is a semi america, replace the help and get paid! Williams roll the F--- out of here if half of this story is true. "Dont read the quaterback, read the recievers". "Safties and corners meeting separately." What the hell. There are dark days ahead....

Posted by: jarreau_b | November 25, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

just read Tom Friend's article. Even if it is just a single insider source, it is still troubling that, if there is already ONE player coming out (albeit anonymously to avoid the wrath of Williams) and publicly criticize the coaching staff, can you imagine the dissention already occurring behind closed doors??? sheesh.

Mismanagement at its best people.

Posted by: shocked | November 25, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy: One day, we'll look back on all of this and realize that these were the bleak years

I think it's certainly possible to turn the franchise around, however (this is the Frank Caliendo version of 'however'), I don't see it happening under Gibbs and without the organization restructuring itself.

Go Chargers!

PS: Is it blasphemous to root for Pierce to have a big day against us so Gwilligan eats his hat and $nyder smears his tidy-whities?

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I hate to tell you. But I told you so. Everyone can tell the D plays with no heart. One must ask what would make them play with no heart? I though back to my days playing football in high school. We had a coach name Knight who loved the 32 dive. Everyone knew we was going to run 32 dive. It got so bad that we stop playing hard for him. Think about this for a second. If your boss came at you like double G comes at his player. Would you work hard for your boss? It really wasn't that hard to figure out.

Posted by: jm220 | November 25, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If your boss came at you like double G comes at his player.

That's why I have a pair of very sharp scissors on my desk: the threat of castration works quite well I've found.

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh Meg that one is just not right. LMAO

Posted by: jm220 | November 25, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

What a difference a year makes....last season Williams was being sought as a head coach by almost every team in the NFL and we were so worried he would leave (at least I was).

Posted by: Lisa | November 25, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I was worried about him leaving too, Lisa. I will even admit to having the slightest of crushes on Greggie (I happen to be very attracted to arrogance, but the man boobs kinda killed it).

After reading that article, I can't see how it would be possible for this defense to be repaired with Greggie and his staff. I need to see him on the first bus outta town. What in Hades is he thinking???

Posted by: JustMe | November 25, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

That article makes me want to puke

Posted by: Anonymous | November 25, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I need to see him on the first bus outta town

He probably wants out of here; he's managed to ruin any "rep" on the team that did exist.

If he does stay, I think you see a mass exodus of players; or at least attempts to leave. Who wants to be around someone like that?

This is all assuming the article is spot-on, which, knowing this organization it is. I wonder what they've threatened ESPN with.

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The old ball coach wasn't much of a pro coach. But damn he has his players playing hard for him. There is no way he returns in my eyes. The statement about the money if true is going to be what kills him. The Dan doesn't seem to me the type of guy that would take that.

Posted by: jm220 | November 25, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the same boat with Lisa and Meg . . . I was worried about Gwilligan's departure as well especially with the merry-go-round of D coaches we've had.

Now I don't see how he can stay. Seems to me this is a great way to start putting the house that Jack built back in order.

Send a message to coaches and players. We're righting the ship and it starts as close to the top as you can get and we'll move all the way down to the practice squad if that's what it takes. The only exception is for the guys who've been here only a year, give them one more but let them know they have to step it up or they get the boot next.

You want to "reward" the fans Danny and Joe, well be honest, clean house and let us know you're serious about rebuilding this team one step at a time and as always we'll be here.
I don't need a SB right now or even in the next couple of years if I know in the long term it's going to pay off. The NFC doesn't stand a chance against the AFC right now anyway. My Skins cap I've had since 1983 is full of memories to keep me going so for the love of pete fellas do the right thing.

*sigh* I can't believe I just said all that out loud. I guess wandering in the desert for 15 years will do that to a fan.

Posted by: sfskin | November 25, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, Dale Lindsey the linebackers coach must go! Gibbs should have fired him immediately after the remarks he made to the media about Lavar. Whether true or not (probably true) the remarks were very unprofessional.

Posted by: Lisa | November 25, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sad article. Still points to the only remedy for this team, which is a top-flight GM. Then these sorts of things won't happen or at least will be remedied much faster than it will now. I don't really care if Archuletta is the sole source of the article bc you can see the results on the field. Taylor looks lost - can't have anything to do with overcoaching can it? Nobody is playing with heart and they are not aggressive pass rushing. I particularly like the "stunting calls" portion of the article. Why do all this "run stunting" when it ain't working any damn way. To my laymen's eye, the D line has looked non-aggressive all year and getting pushed back. However, I did not know they were coached into it. I thought Carter was overpaid as usual by us, but I thought he would bring 6-7 sacks and a bunch of hurries at least. He and Archuletta are not being put in positions to succeed based on their skill sets. This soap opera of a team is YEARS away from being a contender. 3-4 minimum and that's if the clean up begins in earnest after this season.

Posted by: Robert Phillips | November 25, 2006 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs Mantra: "We're all in this together."

And yet, if that article is correct, the safeties and cornerbacks do not meet together and a defensive coach is considered "pouty"?

How does this jive? (It doesn't.)

Posted by: HaikuMan | November 25, 2006 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"Stewardess! I speak jive."

Posted by: Barbara Billingsley | November 25, 2006 8:48 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth - and to make everyone even more depressed (sorry) - on Redskins Report tonight they were discussing whether Gibbs will return next season (I definitely think he will). George Michael (who is tight with Gibbs) said that Gibbs will return to try and right the ship but that it will get WORSE before it gets better. How can it get worse???? Well I guess we can lose the rest of our games - I think that is actually probable. But I had a feeling that was not what George meant.......was he referring to a shakeup in the organization?

Posted by: Lisa | November 25, 2006 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't think that has anything to do with the rest of our games. It sounds to me like he is talking about things getting worse next year. Which means someone is looking at things long term and they're going to jettison a whole bunch of high-priced people: Gwilligan, Archubingus, AC perhaps. Maybe starting over "from scratch", whatever that counts for.

This would go against everything they've done and said so far though, so I'm not willing to buy it. And if they even did "try and right the ship", unless you bring a GM and take personnel decisions out of the fool's hands: it won't make much difference at all.

Can we start a "dead pool" on who is the first to go?

Posted by: Megskin | November 25, 2006 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Mrs. Cleaver! That was some great post. Sh********* (Golly)!

Posted by: VectorVictor | November 26, 2006 12:21 AM | Report abuse

joe gibbs tight with george michael?

ummm the only thing gibbs is "tight" with is money. george pays gibbs to be on his show. and gibbs really likes getting paid. i'm sorry but that's the extent of that relationship imnsho.

and imnsho i don't think george knew what he was talking about. he might be right about getting worse but i don't think his reasoning is correct. that dude has never given us a scoop or predicted anything.

honestly how can snyder seriously expect there to be a fanbase next year if there isn't a change and a hiring of a GM?

Posted by: dealer | November 26, 2006 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,

Actually George Michael did make several strong statements last season that were true to life - and contrary to what most people were saying.

Posted by: Lisa | November 26, 2006 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Yes megskin it is very much like watching a train wreck. You know what's coming but it just stays on the track anyway.

Seriously, some of our really unproductive free agents and high draft picks on defense just might produce something under a different coaching approach. That said, I'm not sure the same would apply to the current linebackers and most of the Dline who are just not getting it done. (Listen to me - am I an optimist or what?)

I will be interesting to watch the game today, if only to see who appears to be responding to the rant. I have very little hope for the defense. On the offensive side the line simply has to pass block better because if Tampa could stop our running game; Carolina sure can. Perhaps having Moss back; even at 80% will provide some spark.

We'll all know is about 5 hours.

Posted by: oldskinsfan | November 26, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article by Friend. And you know Gibbs has already read it.

Posted by: CMoney | November 26, 2006 9:42 AM | Report abuse

But did it make any impression?

This might be just the tip of the iceberg. Assuming there is anything to it, more will come out in the upcoming weeks. Will the cameras keep an eye on him on the sidelines hoping to see him blow his top and will any reporters after the game ask any pointed questions. Will Czabin be back this week? IF so it could be interesting.

Posted by: Rich from Salisbury | November 26, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

My Holiday/New Year's wishes for the team:

Mr Snyder: to have an epiphany and realize that THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN. You're obviously a sharp guy when it comes to making millions, use your talent to figure out how the other teams do it and start over. We will have patience, you should too.
Coach Gibbs: YOU da man! Push to get a GM (not Vinny) and use your coaching, not managing gifts. May you have a stout heart and a superabundance of energy.
Coach Williams: May you have a humbling experience that smacks you like a bolt of lightning. If you can't change dramatically, you should do the right thing and leave.
Skin's Players: Realize you have the greatest fans in the sport, we want to taste sucess as you do. May you have forthright, "character" coaching and stability. May well grounded men step up and lead you.
For My Sons: May you have Redskins football heroes who show the finest traits of self sacrifice, toughness, and character, as I did when growing up.
Hail!

Posted by: ILikeSonny | November 26, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Megskin:

I love your insight and wit and think you add a lot to this blog. However, if I'm reading you right, you don't seem to think that Gibbs is the man to get this done.

My only issue with Gibbs is that he left this organization in shambles. No succession plan, no one to take over and continue to impress on all within the organization what redskins football means. Now some of this might have gone down anyway with the ownership change, etc. That does not, in my mind, excuse how Gibbs left.

I think him being back with the team has something to do with the desert we've been in for thje last 15 years and how he's felt somewhat responsible for not having a good succession plan in place. After his success in the nascar/corporate world I think he understands that better and I am not sure who else would have the right motivation and oomph to see this through.

I say stick with the man, let him make mistakes. Sure he's certainly made his fair share so far either directly or by omission, but else would you trust to try and figure this out?

In the NFL, there seems to be a difference between the winning coaches. Some know how to win consistently (e.g. Marty) and some have actually won it all consistently (Gibbs, Shanahan, Bellicheck-sp?). There are very few coaches in the latter category and I say if you have one, keep him as long as he is wiling to stay. We could wind up with the next incarnation of Mike Martz or Norv Turner.

What you have to do is make sure that he instills a culture and builds processes that are repeatable and that can put the organization in place to suceed w/o him.

imho, what we need is more stick-to-it-tiveness. Clamoring for all of this radical change just turns us into the one we like to scorn the most - the Danny himself.

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | November 26, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I think that Gibbs needs to fire one or some of his coaches this week. He needs to make a statement of who is in charge.

By the way, who in the heck is Gregg Williams to be joking Gibbs, Bugel, and Breaux?!? Williams has been a joke/loser almost everywhere he has been. Granted, the old bunch was probably not up to date with the times, but they have won 3 Super Bowls, so show some respect.

All Williams has done since he got here is get rid of players Marvin Lewis brought in. And talk about bitting the hand that feeds you. Williams joking about Snyders money. One thing a person should never do is joke about another person's money.

Posted by: BT | November 26, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess the article does tell us why Rocky isn't starting.

My guess is that he refused to shine Grilliams' shoes, or maybe said he wouldn't get down to kiss his feet, or maybe he forgot to pay his respects to Grilliams' shrine before he went out to the practice field.

Posted by: BT | November 26, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Megskin:if I'm reading you right, you don't seem to think that Gibbs is the man to get this done.

Sort of and not really. This is what I think Joe Gibbs should do:

1) Hire a GM and uninvolve himself in the personnel decisions. Big step yes, but if he truly wants to "fix" this team, that's needed. Find someone with a good track record, someone who has a history of building teams, not someone like Cerrato. Give the GM the power that he needs; the power to say "eff-you" to $nyder and the coaching staff and pull the trigger on the trade/deal/pick/whatever. Hopefully this should get rid of this FA wheeling and dealing and get us back to taking the draft seriously. We have an owner willing to do anything to win, put that to your advantage, don't abuse it.

2) If he wants to coach--then coach. Whatever responsibilities he has with this "team prez" spot should be thrown out the window. Get someone else to do that trash. I don't care if those things take 5 minutes of his time, these aren't issues he should be dealing with if he is the coach. One or the other.

3) Hire a good, modern day coaching staff. He made the effort to go out and get Williams and Saunders because they were at the top of the heap at those positions, he needs to do the same with all the coaches below. Example: Bugel is still coaching the offensive line with 80's style technique, hello, bring some zone blocking to the skins?

There are some other things, but the game is going to start soon and plenty of other people have written "how to fix the skins" posts already, and theirs are just as valid, if not more so, than mine.

Posted by: Megskin | November 26, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

No Maas!!!

Posted by: BT | November 26, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to start up the Larry Coker to the Redskins rumors. It's a sure thing. The guy runs a really disciplined program.

Posted by: SMACK | November 26, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I put the over under on punts in this game at 15. Any takers?

Posted by: 4th and a cab ride | November 26, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Re: SMACK

I hope that you are being sarcastic?

If not, did you see the Miami-FIU game. If you haven't I am sure you can catch it on YouTube.com.

Posted by: BT | November 26, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah BT, I am generally always being a horse's ass. And you should know I'm a Cowboy fan. That and the fact I'm even watching this game mean I need psychological help. Why can't I see the Ravens game dammit!

Posted by: SMACK | November 26, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Megskin:

understand your point of view

I hear the calls for the GM. Not convinced that fixes the problem, though.

who should be the new GM then? what if he has a completely different philosophy than Gibbs on personel? what then? three more years of this? Nah, I'm taking my chances with Gibbs if I'm the Danny.

Posted by: skinsfan@8KaboveMSL | November 26, 2006 8:58 PM | Report abuse