Campbell, Randle El Address Zorn-Portis (Updated)

Jason La Canfora reports:

The Redskins were greeted by the barrage of questions you might expect after Clinton Portis' comments about Jim Zorn on the "John Thompson Show" on Tuesday and were left to explain the matter to reporters during the open locker room today.

Quarterback Jason Campbell was staying out of this issue, but said that the team had a meeting this morning to stress the importance of staying together, keeping complaints in-house and moving on. Campbell said the captains addressed the team, with London Fletcher doing a lot of the talking. Campbell also indicated that Zorn and Portis had met to settle the issue.

"I just stay out of it and keep it between them," Campbell said. "And as a leader you do whatever you can to keep the guys going. ... It's only a distraction if guys let it be."

Wide receiver Antwaan Randle El said he is certain that if Zorn and Portis have not already cleared the air, they definitely will.

"We can't move on as a team unless we get this taken care of," Randle El said.

He and others have talked about how tight this locker room is, but the fact remains that there are 53 players with 53 opinions.

"I don't care how tight your locker room is, it does happen," Randle El said.

Players, Randle El said, generally learn to take these kinds of dust-ups "with a grain of salt."

Fullback Mike Sellers, generally always up for chatting, literally put his shoulder down and ran out of the locker room, which is the same approach most would prefer to take rather than be drawn into this matter.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 10, 2008; 11:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another Take on Zorn-Portis
Next: Jansen: Issues Should Be Handled Internally

Comments

Something like this is bound to happen when a head coach a) refuses to ever take any responsibility for what happens on the field, and b) uses the press to insult/mock his players.

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The dude has been here for 13 games and is 7-6; he's been riding CP since training camp, but he has precious little to say about Springs and his never-ending boo-boos, Suisham's horrific slump, or the fact that the O-line is a sieve. Oh, and some self-analysis on two moves he was behind, signing Mike Green and Shaun Alexander, would be nice too.

If he thinks the way to make your mark as a head coach in the NFL is to alienate the best player on your roster, thereby showing your "alpha" status, he's WRONG.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had just

1. Talked to Portis himself during the game or sometime Monday.

and/or

2. Said to the media: "Clinton is a warrior and will play on one tendon, but I just didn't think it was worth getting him beat up anymore. His injuries were piling up to fast so I wanted to see what Betts' fresh legs could do"

we would not be here today...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely! Zorn should've handled it alot better. Doesn't excuse Portis' blasting him in the media but Zorn certainly shares some blame in this.

Posted by: skinswest | December 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

aquaboogie, what a nice name!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | December 10, 2008; 11:59 AM ET

C'mon JLC...surely you're used to this by now.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 10, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

This is what Zorn needs to learn. Keep sht in house. Don't put your players out like has done since training camp.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

DOC just had a good thought, this has taken all the focus off of the to new tackles who will have to play this week, I am not saying it was by design but it's good for those guys.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I second that statement!

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Mabye that is problem. Him and Bush thinks the same. No matter how proof is put in front of them they are not going to be wrong.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"Sellers...literally put his shoulder down and ran out of the locker room"

um... I'm having trouble picturing this.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn had just

1. Talked to Portis himself during the game or sometime Monday.

and/or

we would not be here today...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 10, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

thank you for some sanity, how hard is that? what coach wouldn't know or do that with they're star player? Zorn has to be an idiot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who hasn't actually heard what CP said...

Podcast: Full Clinton Portis interview

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

aquaboogie, what a nice name!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Never learned how to swimmmmm...can't comprehend all the strokes...

Posted by: Crunkenstein | December 10, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

B Mitch just said that when a coach calls his players mistakes out in the media but never calls himself out for his own mistakes it rubs players the wrong way. Amen!

Actually, poor Jason Campbell is the player who has received the most criticsm from Zorn - because he expects him to be "perfect" and it has screwed with JC's head.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 10, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Portis-Zorn isn't an issue to me the fact is the root of all the Redskins problems comes back to their bumbling Owner. I'm sure he thinks he can sweep these issues under the rug if he gets another big name coaching hire (Cowher) to deflect attention from his stupidity.

Posted by: moseley_brian | December 10, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Sellers should have lowered his shoulder a few times on Sunday night and picked up some blitzes....And why shouldn't Zorn call out some of these players? No one made them accountable for the last 4 years. 2 of those years resulted in 6-10 records, while the club Zorn was with was going to the playoffs and Super Bowl. It's about time someone made these guys more accountable. This isn't a country club. They get paid millions of dollars-they should be made accountable when they can't get open, or can't gain yards, block, find an open receiver. Why should they be treated with kid gloves?

Posted by: Kohlrums | December 10, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

dcwun - I wasn't talking about Richard =son. He seemed to have great upside as well. you can't deem a draft pick a bust in it's 1st year.

Look guys, JZ talks out the both sides of his moouth and that is the problem. The media loves his honesty but fails to call him out on his inconsistencies...

Portis hasn't practiced for over a month and JZ had no problem. He never benched him before and he has been riding him since day one since JZs passing game has been fruitless. CP is the reason we have a winning record. Don't be fooled....

Though, you may want to cal TJ Whoseyourmamma a maloctent, he was pretty much on point.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has ripped himself. Remember him saying he wanted to punch himself in the face?

That was after the first game.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 10, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

CP needs to learn that when you act like achild you get treated like one,spare the rod spoil the child

Posted by: tomb4 | December 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be more damning for Zorn to say that he was going to change his offense because his players (and offensive line coach) were not capable of executing it. It's not like there are no other teams running it successfully in the NFL. It's completely different than the Spurrier debacle with an offense that could not work in the NFL.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I coach basketball at my old private high school, I have a very good team we're 14-3 right now, however, last week we played a very large very good public high school's team. We played them hard and we're in the game until about halfway through the fourth quarter when our center fouled out and we just didn't have the size to hang with them anymore. We went from down for to down 15 in about 2 game minutes. With us down 15 with 3 and half minutes to play, having just played 3 games in 5 days, my starting point guard (and my best player) having played 99% of every game in the season so far and who definitely was having a bad night(shot was off lots of turnovers) and 2 conference games coming this week I pulled him. He came to the bench and said "coach, we're still in this let me play!" during the timeout, I told him to zip it which he did not happily and finished the team talk and sent them back on the floor. Immediately after the timeout I called him to come sit next to me, and said "don't ever question my decision making in front of the team, we need to be on the same page at all times. You are our best player and we're in the meat of our season, I need you healthy, rested, and ready to go a lot more than I need you killing yourself in an unlikely comeback effort in this game. There's plenty of ball left and we need you." The kid immediately nodded shook his head cheered on his teammates and went for 24 points and 10 assists Monday night in a conference win on the road.

I'm no Lombardi, but come on, how hard is it to talk to your best player and reassure them? Should CP have done this, no, but CP is a emotional human and a competitor, that you want and need on your side if your gonna win anything. Zorn needs to get a hold of a coaching for dummies book.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

aquaboogie, what a nice name!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Never learned how to swimmmmm...can't comprehend all the strokes...

Posted by: Crunkenstein | December 10, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I am Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk

Posted by: AquaBoogie | December 10, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This was bound to happen when your star player stops practicing and thinks he knows everything there is to know about his assignments. You have to learn and practice like everyone else Clinton.

Posted by: Smiley2 | December 10, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Except Portis cannot make it through one damn season healthy. We keep hearing about how tough he is and how great he is. How many runs of over 20 yeards does he have? Has anyone ever thought that having too much money invested in a 27 year old running back is prudent? Portis is good, but his attitude and "love of me" is wearing thin.

Posted by: duh2mag | December 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

hey look what T. Boz said:

A little more common sense, and a little less self-indulgent honesty {by zorny}, might have prevented it.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Just getting caught up from yesterday. Brutal up here. I just have this mental image of many of the posters up here tossing and turning in their sleep at night, muttering (sleep talking) things like:
"Stupid JLC..........enough Torrence!......just shut up.......you don't know anything about football........dork.........mom I am wearing my headgear.......miss Sean Taylor......hate Wilbon too.......go back to Baltimore JLC......fire JLC........hate snyder.......hate fedex field........hate Cowherd......3 receivers in the 2nd round......Dagobah system......jedi master........ three receiverrrrrrrrsssss..........

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:51 PM

Dude, Gibbs 1.0 changed his system to fit the NFC East. RUN THE DANG BALL. It it still applies 26 years later.

You wanna coach in the NFL and succeed? You adjust to what you got and keep it moving.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

You are so on point with this zjfr2. It's not hard to figure out.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

zj....and what would you do with this star point guard if he continued to exhibit this same behavior game after game? At some point, for the sake of the other players on the team, you can't continue to pamper the crybaby.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smiley2 | December 10, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"And for Christ's sake, stop riding bikes with GW Bush; nothing good can ever come of that."

Amen, brother

Posted by: jgarrisn | December 10, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to think Zorn is a B*tch.

Like Smiley2 wrote: "..and JZ HAS had a problem with Portis not practicing. He mentions it almost every press conference. You practice and you play."

So, Portis should be watching Zorn's press conferences to find out what's up?

Zorn should stop using the media and open his Scardy Cat mouth.

I agree with MrRedskin21. 100%.

Bringing Stephen Alexander here, was idiocy. And his Punter/Holder has Suisham in a slump. The only player I'd want to see from Seattle would be Kerney, who is now in Atlanta.

I would have traded all 4 of our draft picks for him.

We Suck, and Zorn is NOT helping.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Portis is 100% in the wrong. Zorn didn't do anything wrong. He does not owe Portis an explanation for why he went with Betts in the second half. If Portis doesn't know why, he should ask, but it was obvious to anyone watching the game. Pass protection got better with Betts in there. He does not block as well as Portis, but he seemed to be in the "right place" in protection and he was used as a dump off with some success. Protection struggled more when Portis was in and he had one play where he went in motion when he was not supposed to and was penalized. This is exactly the thing that can happen when you don't practice. Nobody is saying that Portis is faking injury to avoid practice, but the new policy should be that if you don't practice, you aren't active. Period. Portis is a hell of a football player, but he is way too sensitive. MAN UP!

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 10, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, hanging with Bush?

That should be grounds for getting fired mid season.

That's just inexcusable. I gave Zorn the benefit of the doubt. I liked him, but the Skins need a Real Offensive Coordinator/Play Caller and if THIS is how he handles a veteran team, all I can say is let's not prolong the inevitable into next year. I'm afraid Zorn may be a Loser.

NEXT.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | December 10, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Danny Boy loves stars, and has way more money invested in Portis than Zorn.

Here today, gone tomorrow. Zorn will take his payout and be in the Pacific Northwest by Valentine's Day. You heard it hear first!

The next coach will be.........Clinton Portis.

Iverson: "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

Posted by: duh2mag | December 10, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

wow, zjfr2

15 points in 3 1/2 minutes and you're giving up?

Ugh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I thought "Portis became a man" after the Sean Taylor tragedy. Stay classy CP, but maybe do that with another team. Put CP on the block and get O/D lineman for him.

Posted by: ATLyoyo | December 10, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LiberalMike | December 10, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It's not often you see this type of accountability demanded by a liberal.

Well done, Mike!

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Z should ride a road bike and meet better people.

ON TO 2009!!!

My list of who has to go this off season: they should be told early so they can find employment else where ASAP.

M. Washington spends more energy celebrating and rehabing than playing.

Jensen looks lost but can talk about it on TV, stay there.

Kendall just to old to keep up with the speed of the game.

Samuels an almost was who is done, sorry.

Smoot playing ten yards off the line won't cover a high schooler,he needs to go ahead and get his other business of the ground.

Thrash nice guy, but done, give him a front office gig.

El only catches 4 yard passes he is a gadget-man,sorry we need production.

Springs 2 or 3 games a year not enough, sorry.

J Taylor dances better than he plays, Dan should give him and acting contract, that he can do, believe me. He acts like a football player every day but game-day.

Carter he ain't his daddy.

P Daniels can't stay healthy, wasted spot.
Punter/holder?

Betts let him fumble away games somewhere else.

Fabini just to old for the speed of todays game.

Yodor any TE can do what he does, so let the rookie do it.

For all they have done this year and last, we could have gotten better production from the "suplimental draft!"

Posted by: carl13 | December 11, 2008 6:04 AM | Report abuse