New Orleans Update

Some people were looking for an update on the proposed trip to N'Orleans to rebuild homes then go to the Skins game down there next month. Our pal Scott is putting it together, and here's the latest info:

If you have decided you are seriously committed to going down to New Orleans to build homes, it is time to sign up!!! I am working with Melissa Manuselis of New Orleans Habitat to begin the group registration process and secure reservations at Camp Home the nights of December 12-14. In order to begin registration I need everyone to be in touch with me ( saadman40@gmail.com ) and Melissa ( volunteer@habitat-nola.org ) to let us know you're ready to volunteer.

Once we have a finalized number and have made plans with Habitat, I will begin researching group rates for flights and hotels in New Orleans over the Weekend.

Once we have a set group, we can all begin marketing our Mission and soliciting donations for our cause.

Looking forward to an amazing experience,
Scott

Scott's website is redskinsnolamission.blogspot.com.

Randoms: Had one more depressing stat I could not get into a story over the weekend. Heard some complaints from a few readers that I was too hard on Brandon Lloyd in Sunday's article. We all remember how much heat David Patten was getting in the first half last season, when he was signed for a small fraction of what Lloyd would get a year later right? Consider: Lloyd through seven games has 11 grabs for 164, sans a TD. Patten through 7 games in 2005, before the knee surgery, had 19 catches for 193 yards ...

I heard somewhere once there was study done that said the music people listen to in their early 30s is what they will listen to most of the life, or at least of a similar ilk. What do you guys think? Anyone out there still listen to a lot of the stuff they rocked back in high school? I still like a lot of what I loved back then - Fishbone, Primus, Jane's Addiction, Public Enemy, NOFX, Bad Brains - and Bad Brains will always be in my heavy rotation, but I think whoever did that study might be on to something ...

Best line from the Parcells conference call was when he was asked about the constant speculation every year that THIS will be the year he retires. "Eventually they're going to be right, I know that."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 2, 2006; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injuries/Campbell Redux
Next: The Power Of The Draft

Comments

JLC

Thanks for the update bra. Hell yeah I still rock stuff from back at high school. PE, Da La Soul, BDP, EPMD, Grand Master Flash, even some Rush. (yeah JLC I am a strange bird love listen a little of everything. Love Devil in GA) What do you think I listen to when I am at the gym?

Scott we should have one standard letter marketing our Mission and soliciting donations for our cause. Just a thought.

Posted by: jm220 | November 2, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

you can't get mad at Lloyd when he's not getting balls thrown to him! LOL! Come on JLC, he's catching everything that comes his way. Brunell is zoning in on Moss and he rarely finds the 2nd and 3rd guys.

Posted by: dubb | November 2, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone read the Michael Lewis excerpt in the NY Times on Parcells week of prep for the Redskins at the begining of the season?

Great article -- but also interesting his perspective on Joe Jansen, in saying that he has lost a step over past couple of years.

Jason -- have you heard anything about this at Redskins Park? Is this a sentiment that has been whispered by others as well?

Posted by: Doug | November 2, 2006 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I can remember a few Lloyd drops, a horrible fumble again JAX that should've cost them the game and I see a guy who does not gain great separation, at least not here, not yet.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | November 2, 2006 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Guys -
Please feel free to eamil me at saadman40@gmail.com if you are interested in going down to NoLA. Please also try to market the idea to anyone you think my be interested in the mission.
I also have one favor to ask - is it possible one of you can post the mission idea on extremeskins.com? For some reason it won't let me post on there and I really think it will be a great way to publicize the mission.
Let me know if you're willing to do this and I'll give you material to post.
Thanks everyone,
Scott

Posted by: Scott (DC) | November 2, 2006 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Scott and Jason,

I think it is great doing a trip to NO. We were down there after Katrina hit to rescue animals and it was not a pretty sight. We can post it on ES but the best place to post it would be on www.redskin-roadtrips.com They along with ES are planning an away game trip to NO on 12-17-06. They might be able to help!

Posted by: Huly | November 7, 2006 7:29 AM | Report abuse

For any Redskins games on the road, be sure to check out www.redskin-roadtrips.com. New Orleans this year is our big away game, and we will have an official shirt out in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: CHUBAKAH | November 7, 2006 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey there were doing something similar if anyone can only pitch in for one day. On Dec. 16th some of us will be helping renovate a house. Check it out

Hello Skins Fans,
On Dec. 17th the Washington Redskins will travel to New Orleans to battle the Saints. Following their team will be hundreds, maybe even thousands of Redskins fanatics cheering the Burgundy and Gold on to victory.
As we all know, there is another battle being fought in New Orleans and throughout the Gulf Coast. That battle has far greater implications than a football game. It is the fight by its citizens to retake their homes. To honor their courage, and their cause, Skins Fans For the Big Easy is calling on the Redskins nation to fight that battle for one day.
We are encouraging Redskins fans traveling to New Orleans to come in one day early on Dec 16th, roll up their sleeves and help the rebuilding effort. Skins Fans For the Big Easy has adopted The St. Bernard Project as it's organization to help that day.
The St. Bernard Project is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to getting it's 67,000 people home again. The project matches volunteers with families that need help renovating or rebuilding their homes. Together you and these families work to rebuild their lives. This is a great organization, and a truly noble cause. Let's take this opportunity to show New Orleans that Redskins fans are the best in the league.
For more information on how to help please visit http://www.skinsfans4bigeasy.org to sign up today.

Sincerely,