New Orleans Update
Hey there. Looks like the volunteer trip to New Orleans is going along smoothly. Here is the latest news from our guy Scott:
Volunteers and Potential Volunteers:
Redskins Fans Mission to New Orleans has secured a reservation to build homes at the Habitat for Humanity Musicians Village from Wednesday December 13 through Friday December 15. The mission has also secured a reservation for mission volunteers to stay at Habitat for Humanity's Camp Hope the nights of December 12 through 14. Potential volunteers may now register to attend through me, and do not have to register through the New Orleans Habitat office. Now that reservations have been secured, here are some next steps that need to be considered for volunteers:
1) Securing a flight - Because we do not have finalized numbers yet, it's imperative that mission volunteers begin reserving their own flights down to NoLa. In terms of flight times, please look for an evening flight that will get you into New Orleans on Tuesday evening December 12. As for the return flight - please make sure you find a flight that will enable you to attend the Redskins/Saints game on Sunday - the game kicks off at noon local time and should end by 3PM. New Orleans Armstrong International Airport is 14.2 miles from the Superdome (about a 20 minute drive).
2) Hotel Reservation - We still might be able to secure a group discount at a downtown New Orleans hotel for the weekend, so I will begin looking into that possibility this week.
3) Rental Car - For those interested in renting cars, Habitat provides discounts at certain rental car companies. If you would like to discuss splitting a rental car for the week of the trip, please contact me over email. Camp Hope is about 20 minutes from Downtown, so a car might be helpful for those who want to go out on the town on Wednesday or Thursday evening - it might also be cheaper to split cab fares in those cases.
4) Camp Hope Forms - In order to stay at Camp Hope there are a few forms that need to be filled out by those attending the mission. I will be sending these forms to the volunteers over email in the coming days.
5) Securing Donations and Tickets - Now that the mission is set, it is time to start thinking about ways to raise money to subsidize the cost of the trip, and coercing the Redskins to throw us free tickets for the big game on the 17th. I will also be following up this week with some ideas on how we can use the next month to help raise money to defray our costs.
I think that is it for now. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Please also forward this email to anyone who might be interested in attending the mission and please check out the mission web site at http://redskinsnolamission.blogspot.com
The comments to this entry are closed.