NFL doesn't need positive test to suspend Santana Moss

So what happens next to receiver Santana Moss?

The answer to that question will largely hinge on whether the league can comfortably determine that Moss, in fact, used human growth hormone. Because the NFL doesn't test for HGH, it can't simply point to a positive test. But the league has handed out suspensions in the past for drug-related offenses without a positive test.

Remember Rodney Harrison? He was suspended in 2007 for using HGH. In that case, Harrison admitted his use to Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Surely, Moss will have to talk with the league security officials and possibly Goodell himself, and when Moss does, you can bet he'll be more forthcoming than he was Wednesday with a Post reporter.

We asked an NFL spokesman about Moss on Wednesday evening. The spokesman said the league had no additional information to offer beyond Tuesday's initial statement, which read in part: "When we have had evidence of illegal purchase, possession, or use of HGH, we have imposed discipline and are fully prepared to do so again if the facts support it. We have been in touch with law enforcement and will continue to cooperate with the federal authorities as the case moves forward."

Harrison, like other first-time offenders, faced an immediate four-game suspension. Because Moss is not charged with any sort of crime, the NFL likely won't feel the need to wait until the case has reached resolution before making its own decisions about any players who appear to have received banned substances from Galea.

With more than three months remaining before the start of the 2010 season, it'd seem the NFL would push to understand Moss's exact involvement as soon as possible.

By Rick Maese  |  May 20, 2010; 11:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santana Moss evasive in Wednesday interview
Next: Reasons for using HGH are myriad for players in a grueling game

Comments

In a related story, RI has just learned that a second name from the Redskins has emerged in connection with Dr. Galea for use of a similar but different banned substance. Sources say that Mike Williams' name came up in conversations regarding the use of HSH - human shrink hormone. League sources have long stated the there was something "unusual" about the miraculous loss of weight by Mr. Williams and now those same sources are saying, "I told you so". Allegedly, Queen Latifa, Oprah and that fat guy from American idol have also been visited by Dr. Galea.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

No, it's letting them take jobs away from the guys with big cocks and balls. If football was meant to be played by guys with little cocks and balls, Dan Snyder would be All-Pro.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if this is why some of the OTA's are closed to the media?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kickass10101 | May 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Portis, who's done more for this team, gets sh*tted on at every opportunity, but with Moss people are pulling the "have you forgot..." line.

Also funny how people who more than likely never done anything substantive in their entire pathetic existence except park their fat asses in front of their computer and bang their chubby digits on their greased and crum-loaded keyboards continue to rip a FOOT-BALL PLAY-YER grammar skills.

Your staunch grammar skills still haven't given you the riches and fame that Portis and Moss have and it never will.

And it absolutely tears you up inside.

Admit it already and STFU.

Haters coming out the woodwork on this... ufb...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

How does DeAngelo Hall feel about this, more importantly Albert Haynesworth?

This does suck though, Santana will probably not be here week 1. He usually does great against the Boys.

Oh Well.... Devin Thomas will handle it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

I guess 'The Biggest Loser' is screwed as well.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Get this over with asap, Goodell. Let him get healthy and be ready for the Packers in week 5. I belive he should be considering that a make-up game, as the last time they faced Green Bay, he pretty much sh_t the bed.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 20, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Devin is ready...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

It's also funny when midgets dress up like cowboys.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 20, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I've always been supportive of Portis. I crack on his English because it's funny. I'm supportive of Moss too. Brunell to Moss x 2 puts Moss in the category of untouchable to me.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your testimony Dr. Galea

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM

What does that mean?????

Dr. Galea doesn't have anything to do with me.....So we can't give opinions up here anymore?? You are trying to put an embargo on what I want to state? WTF??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh Well.... Devin Thomas will handle it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:25 AM

Or TO...

I mean, this is just screaming for a week-long run of "TO to Redskins" rumors, does it not?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

By: RMEase

=======================================

lol @ WaPo stomping their feet cuz they got carried.....That's because Goodell is the only boss that matters....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

How is something called Human Growth Hormone not performance enhancing?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:20 AM |

LOL. Exactly.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

admit nothing santana. force them to prove u did it.. treat it like when ur lady thinks she caught u cheating, make her produce the evidence, until then say nothing.. i'm not a lawyer but i watch law and order..

Posted by: cboyhater | May 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I think i might have to apologize to, and say i was wrong about, one mister P Daniels.

He still beats his kids tho

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Throw yourself on the mercy of the court and hope to get it down to 2-3 games not 4-5.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Breakout year for DT11 and MK12 starting in week 1.

Posted by: Keiser | May 20, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

What does that mean?????

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Relax.

Was just joking. I imagine he would say something similar about HGH use.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

HGH is a banned substance the player involved from the Redskins (Santana Moss) has already given a statement to authorities admitting to receiving treatments from Dr. Galea. Moss needs to come clean immediately postponing it any longer will only lead to a media frenzy

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

If he did it unknowingly I think you let him off easy. If he new send him packing.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

If he did it unknowingly I think you let him off easy. If he knew send him packing.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 11:39 AM

Maybe if he admits it, huddles with the Comish, then he can be suspended for OTA's and training and just come back for the start of the season. If this were to happen, Haynesworth would admit it too.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

postponing it any longer will only lead to a media frenzy

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Media frenzy... Yeahhhhhh!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 20, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 11:34 AM

It's just 4 games...We got Gallaway and Wade and DT11 and MK12 and 2 TEs who could play WR as well....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

My bad PP...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

too bad for santana

phil daniels though i dont mind the guy im kind of sick of hearing him talk, like he's always perfect or something, id rather him not say anything, come on phil keep your lame emotions in the locker room

hopefully one of our other 15 receivers step it up

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 20, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 11:45 AM

I'm with you there...I think the WR depth is fine. This HAS to be the year we find out what we have in Kelly and Thomas, so this opens up an opportunity to that end. I'm just saying, outlets like ESPN and NFLN are going to want to fill NFL time with the typical baseless offseason speculation and what's juicier than floating another TO rumor?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If he used HGH to treat his knee....is this really an issue?? The report stated that the player used the drug while on IR. I could see if he was caught using it during the season...but the guy was getting treatment for an injury!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 20, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"If Moss ends up getting a 4 game suspension, perhaps he could spend his time at my 12 year old's English class. He could use the lessons.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Come on Dream, you can't start out at such a high level, you don't want him to be confused and lost in the class.

Posted by: hackeynut00 | May 20, 2010 10:49 AM

well, i figured he was ahead of my 1st grader. perhaps not. Maybe he could go to the Dexter Manley school of Phonetics and Grammar.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud "

Aaaa, buzz off, you condescending authority wannabes..Jerks like y'all make us punks SHINE...f****in blowj***s..

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:24 AM
-----------------------------------------
C'mon, Red. Portis brings it on himself with his lame injury excuses, his butt kissing with the owner, and the way he has thrown his offensive line and fullback under the bus. There's not a bigger supporter of the concept of "me" on the team. The team would be just fine without him.

As far as Moss, I'll rip him, too. He cheated. He took something to enhance his performance when that is not allowed. He will be suspended, and in that, he has let his teammates down.

And, to your earlier post, oh hell yeah do I love to slam those Miami guys. I don't pretend otherwise. This situation with Moss is a microcosm of what I don't like about the "U". The players have swagger, but they didn't earn their swagger honestly. They had, at one time, one of the dirtiest college football programs in college football. The alumni want to go stomping around like they are kings of the world when everything they got was through a violation of the rules. I'll admit they've cleaned up their act, but when Moss was there...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Boy, now Marko Mitchell being given opportunity to go through training camp would have been even better.

Oh well Joey Galloway who will be 39 in Nov just moved up the depth chart.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 20, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 20, 2010 11:52 AM |

I don't believe Moss was ever on IR, accept for his first season with the Jets.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 20, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Red, I think there is one major difference between CP and Santana: Moss doesn't stand at the preverbial bus stop and keep chucking people under it. I love both Portis and Moss and appreciate what they've done for this team, but I admit that I have lost a little respect for a guy that calls out his teammates and is too lazy to practice. Plus, the best thing about him was those stupid costumes and he couldn't even keep that up.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

4th, you've referenced the Post getting "carried" by Moss a couple times. Not sure if I'm understanding that term, but this is what Moss said to Buy-Me-A-Vowel Svrluga:

"I'm just saying to you bro, you come to me right now, and I appreciate you coming to me the right way. I'm telling you right now, I'm talking about football."

Sounds like Moss is telling Svvrlsrg 'thanks for not coming at me with some TMZ-like bull crap ambush, and for handling your biz like a pro, but I'm not gonna comment on that issue.'

Posted by: 4-12 | May 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

to rip a FOOT-BALL PLAY-YER grammar skills.

And it absolutely tears you up inside.

Admit it already and STFU.

Haters coming out the woodwork on this... ufb...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

....player's grammar skills

Also, doesn't Moss have the Skins single season receiving record? I think he deserves to get beat up, but he has done some good things for us too.

Posted by: rupertpupkin | May 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

somebody had to do it. If you saw the interview with CP on the NFLN he explained this. He said Sellers was telling everyone to speak up to a player who wasn't doing their job. Then linton told Sellers he wasn't doing his job. It was prety funny.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

HGH IS A BANNED SUBSTANCE UNDER LEAGUE RULES PEOPLE

Posted by: TimmySmith36 | May 20, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cboyhater | May 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Probably slept at Holiday Inn Express too.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 20, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

1st time - he carried it bacause he lead the way the interview would go.

The 2nd time, I meant for it to be looked at the Post felt it was carried by him implying we would have to talk to the Commish, and not in the same way he avoided the beat reporter....The paragraph was kind of backhanded IMO...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"the best thing about him was those stupid costumes and he couldn't even keep that up.

Posted by: monk811"

Nope, the best thing about Portis is he's just 880 yds away from being the Skins all-time rusher..

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I like how he straight out carried BArry Srvluga, though....It's football time, you don't put speculation out there like that...That ain't how you do it....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

And this analysis is based on what, all those years you ran a Journalism school?

I THINk what you said was, I have my eyes shut, my ears plugged and I don't want to hear or see anything bad about my Redskins.

What Srvluga did is known as supplying enough rope for the interviewee to hang himself, or hang himself up. What, you'd prefer he wrote the piece without interviewing Santana?

He gave Moss PLENTY of opportunity to deny the rumors and speculation, to defend himself and his name, and to deny deny deny. But Santana tried to outsmart the interviewer, play it coy, out fox him.

Not a single objective reader can read that piece and say "yup, no doubt in my mind, it ain't Santana."

Posted by: TheCork | May 20, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Carlos Rogers gets an injection in the palm of his hands.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

There was no way for Santana to get out of this. The reporter has to ask the question, and Santana knows that. He has 3 options.
1. Admit it
2. Deny it
3. Say "no comment"- which speaks louder than anything.

What he did was a version of the "no comment". Which is actually the worse thing you can do.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 20, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Let me just remind everyone of 4 things.

New Coach
New QB
New HDscreens
GOLD PANTS!

Posted by: alex35332 | May 20, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Should ZEALOUSLY rehab his body within the bounds of the law." I find you guilty, Santana! Guilty of betrayin' your fellow man! Guilty of betrayin' your country and abrogatin' your oath! Guilty of judgin' me and sellin' me out! With the power vested in me by the kingdom of God, I sentence you to the Ninth Circle of Hell! Now you will learn about loss! Loss of freedom! Loss of humanity! Now you and I will truly be the same...

Posted by: Club320 | May 20, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811"

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

That's the WORST thing for Riggins!
No, the best thing for Portis would be just to keep his mouth shut and start playing up to his potential, which is slowly drifting away with age. Then he might get the record, which I'm not so sure he deserves anymore.

Posted by: monk811 | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Cork - It's called controlling the message...Don't act like you've never heard of the tactic! Especially when it is a legal issue and money is on the line...That's what I was thinking about.

I'm already on record as to saying whomever it is...give them their 4 games and keep it moving...Don't try to make it bigger than what it is or try to tell me what I'm thinking...cuz you'll never understand with what you prob assume about me in the 1st place....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 20, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Isn't strange (or not!!) that the Redskins have been adding more and more wide receivers even though "they knew nothing about the situation"?!?!

Posted by: rrlyon131 | May 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rrlyon131 | May 20, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cut Moss and move on.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | May 20, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Rodney Admitted to it, thats just dumb. Sit back and relax Santana, make the League and the federal investigators do some homework. Hey FED's checkout Big Pharma, Defense Contractors, Wall-Street or BP, the real criminals in this Country. I'm not that concerned about personal use of a banned substance. We spend Millions and Millions trying to stop users... How is that going?

Posted by: MajorFacemask | May 20, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 20, 2010 11:22 AM

____________________________________

LOL!

BREAKING NEWS: Sources say that Fat Albert Haynesworth has been also reported to have been treated by Galea on several occassions. Fat Albert thinking HGH will increase his brain power but rather increased his rear mass thus being the main reason he's in Tennessee and not participating at all in OTAs and mini camps with the organization. His rear end size has dramtically increased in mass by 100%.

Posted by: datruth21 | May 20, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse