Count Vinny Cerrato among those who like Jimmy Clausen

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has publicly raised questions about the leadership skills and maturity of Jimmy Clausen, widely considered to be the No. 2 quarterback prospect in the draft. The Redskins have the fourth overall pick and Coach Mike Shanahan is believed to be interested in selecting a quarterback.

Draft analyst Mel Kiper, McShay's ESPN colleague, has praised Clausen, saying he grew into an outstanding leader at Notre Dame. And Kiper is not alone in believing Clausen could become a top NFL quarterback.

Vinny Cerrato, formerly Washington's executive vice president of football operations, shares Kiper's assessment of Clausen. Cerrato, who worked at Notre Dame in the late 1980s under Lou Holtz, said he has spoken with many people at the university about Clausen - and all of them gave him favorable reports.

And as a favor to agent Gary Wichard, one of his longtime friends, Cerrato recently spent four days in California helping several of Wichard's clients, Clausen among them, prepare for predraft interviews. In a phone interview late last week, Cerrato acknowledged he, too, at one time wondered whether the media buzz about Clausen was accurate. But he said he quickly learned Clausen is nothing like his detractors claim.

"I think Todd McShay started that, you know?" Cerrato said. "I'd like to know who Todd McShay talked to at Notre Dame about Jimmy. That's what I would like to know, because I was at the school and talked to everybody. And there's a lot of people there that were there when I was there, so they'll tell me the truth. And, you know, the truth is he came in as the No. 1 player in the country. And he was [former coach Charlie Weis's] first recruit. So I think the older players kind of weren't crazy about that part. He was a little immature when he first arrived. He matured each year, he was only there three, and he matured each year.

"Here's what they told me: As a sophomore, he didn't get many votes to be captain. As a junior, [he] received every vote of all the members of the team to be the captain. And everybody told me [he was] a totally different kid from sophomore year to junior year. Really grew up, matured, became the leader of the team [and] took charge of everything. ... He's a totally mature guy. I mean, you know what he is? He's a gym rat. He's a football junkie. He loves to talk about football. He loves to watch film. He's very smart about football coverages, all those things. And you know what? He plays with a passion. That's the thing."

By Jason Reid  |  March 29, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillip Buchanon expected to visit Redskins today
Next: Sam Bradford impresses in Pro Day workout at Oklahoma University

Comments

Who cares what Cerrato thinks! He thought Chad Rhinehart could play...

Posted by: davidmistretta | March 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Kiss of death...

Posted by: ITouchdownThere | March 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, that should pretty much kill his draft value.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato likes Jimmy Clausen?

I take back everything nice I've ever said about Clausen and no longer have even 1% desire to see him in the burgundy and gold.

Eff, man.

Posted by: TDawg1 | March 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Kiss of death...

Posted by: ITouchdownThere | March 29, 2010 12:24 PM
=================================

Just what I was going to type...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who want Clausen at #4 now know what boat you're in.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

if thats the case we can grab Jimmy in the 7th round.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ITouchdownThere | March 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

... pretty much the greatest handle of all-time.

Posted by: TDawg1 | March 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Its good to see Vinny still commands a strong grasp of the english language. You know...I see...cause...yep...

maybe I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point.

Posted by: rich20ssu | March 29, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Not that I need another reason for us not to pick this bust but Cerrato liking him is all anyone needs to know.

Posted by: jm220 | March 29, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Count me amongst those who doesn't give a flying **** what Ceratto thinks about anything.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato also said he gave Zorn a playoff roster last year. A roster already cut by 1/5 by the new coaching staff BEFORE their first practice with the team. Vinny is a stooge.

Posted by: kmag1 | March 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Seems a lot of people had the same first thought as I. Kiss of death

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Only disturbing thing in here is that the Pud-in-Chief Snyder is still scouting. He should fix up Johnny Rockets so that Alex will go there on his burger crawl.

Posted by: League-Source
I HATE Beeps

Ain't nuthin' wrong with Johnny Rockets. They bring the fries out when they are ready--so they don't get cold when you get your burger or frank. And they put a little Ketchup Smiley Face on the condiment plate. The help is friendly, the prices decent. You can get a fountain Vanilla coke, and they offer to refill it for free. They have a heavy Vanilla thumb, just like I like it.

On second thought, Snyder probably has nothing to do with running the place.

Posted by: TheCork | March 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

A Cerrato vote of confidence should easily drop him to the late 7th round.

Posted by: westjr88 | March 29, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Is today April Fools day??

Posted by: ga8085 | March 29, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah thanks, Vinny.

More of a reason for them NOT to draft Clausen.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 29, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Okay, now I’m in the ABC Club. Anybody But Clausen.

Posted by: TheCork | March 29, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

[Running from the room screaming]

MY EYES....MY EYES!

Posted by: 4-12 | March 29, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I officially retract my Clausen desire at #4. If Vinny likes him I hate him.......Here's to us drafting Okung and Saffold and getting Snead in the 4th.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 29, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Yet ANOTHER reason to pass on Clausen.

If Vinny were still here, he would be the pick.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Nope, just going with the odds. Legit LT's are usually drafted high (and the skins need LT and RT). Decent RB's can be found later.

Posted by: skinswest | March 29, 2010 12:13 PM

There are 7 5-Star Tackles in the draft this year....

SEVEN!!

To set that in context here are how many 5 Star Tackles were available in previous years:

2010 - 7 (SEVEN!!)
2009 - 4
2008 - 4
2007 - 2
2006 - 1 (ONE!!!)
2005 - 3
2004 - 2
2003 - 3

Please....People, continue to tell me why we can't get a top notch LT at the top of the 2nd round??

That doesn't include all the 4 star tackles available...

You can drop down to previous years to see what tackles are in the NFL now and what their grades were.

Here are some notables who are currently starting and were not labeled 5 Star Tackle Prospects coming out of college:

Loadholt - 4 Star 2009
Nick Kaczur - 3 Star 2005
Harvey Dahl - 2 Star 2005
Jordan Black - 2 Star 2003

Come On Maaaan....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmag1 | March 29, 2010 12:30 PM

He did give Zorn a playoff roster, but that's not what he said. He said "Super Bowl roster."

If Shanahan had been coaching that roster, last year, against that schedule, he would have won six more games and gone 10-6. He would have beaten Detroit, Carolina, Kansas City, New Orleans, Dallas, and San Diego.

Clearly it wasn't a Super Bowl roster, even if Vince Lombardi had been coaching.

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

While I’m no fan of Cerrato’s, I saw McShay’s analysis of Clausen, along with the maturity issue he said Clausen’s talents may have peaked since he was coached by Charlie Weis in a pro-style offense. I thought that was preposterous. He’s got no room to learn and improve since he now “knows” it all at the age of 20-21 whatever? The kid put up decent numbers while playing hurt – I’d prefer they get Okung but I think taking Clausen makes more sense than say an undersized rb at #4.

Posted by: skinswest | March 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

See, there is the problem. Both Vinny and kiper have connections to ND... and say they talked to people.

McShay actually watched the tape.

novel idea for vinny i know...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Then count me among those who don't like Jimmy Clausen.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 29, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Some of the guys rated as 4 stars on that list wouldn't be immediate starters. Selvish Capers could be good, but he's also considered a project and not likely to start his first year in the league. More than likely a 4th or 5th round pick. And at that point in the draft I'd love to take him.

Wouldn't mind Saffold or Charles Brown in the 2nd though.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 29, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Times like these im glad Cerrato is no longer affiliated with the team... his opinion finally means absolutely nothing, to anyone.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 29, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

You live in Boston. You probably get your car serviced by Click and Clack.

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:03 PM
====================
If you live in Boston, you dont have a car.. My neighbor paid $250k for a parking space last year.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I knew there was a reason I didn't like Clausen.

Any mention of the "truth" with Vinny is definitely NOT going to be the truth. He might as well say, "I'm lying to your face. Enjoy it, Mayor"

What a joke this guy is. OKUNG at #4...build for the future because let's be honest guys, we won't do much better than 6-10 next year. We'll probably have a low 1st rounder next year too - a better time to grab a QB because next year is STACKED with QBs.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | March 29, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

(ref Buchanon)

Oh no...not another player from the "U"!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 29, 2010 11:41 AM
=================
Only time "U" is defined as "Me".

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

BK Vs. 5 guys rant:

Burger King uses substandard beef from cows that are either past their prime(beef cows older than 2) or may have been dairy cows that no longer provide milk. This meat is not marbled, it's tough, gray, and taste bad. This is ok and it's no different than what your grocery store does. Burger King and most other fast food restaurants know this low quality crap taste bad. That's why they add salt, trans fats, msg, sugar, beef fat, sand, beef stock, and seasonings to try to make it taste better and not as dry(Note: They may have been forced to stop using msg and trans fats). What you end up with is low quality beef that taste like fat and salt. This is appetizing to a lot of people especilally after being drowned in mayo. I prefer beef that actually taste like beef so I prefer 5 guys. That being said 5 guys can differ greatly from location to location. Since it's all real beef and not processed crap it leaves a lot of the quality up to the local suppliers and cooks. 5 guys is also a lot more prone to being overcooked or undercooked. The cooks actually have to be able to cook. If you have any doubts about the difference in quality then complete this simple little experiment. Take a 5 guys patty, BK patty, and a McDonald's patty and let them sit some where for a couple hours. Which one still looks like beef? A good 5 guys is awesome and the bad ones may be worse than burger king. If you're still reading this then I thank you for the moments of your life I have wasted that you will never get back.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 29, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | March 29, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

Maybe I'm cynical but I'm thinking that this wasn't a "favor." Wichard's looking at a big payday and he's calling Vinny and saying "Help me out, good buddy"?

I'm also thinking that four days of Vinny mentoring is probably not worth as much as Vinny was paid, even if it was a favor. Isn't he the one who prepped Jim Zorn -- "Don't forget, Jim, it's maroon and black."

Posted by: League-Source | March 29, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Well, If Cerrato likes Clausen than I say DONT DO IT!!

Posted by: pquick6165 | March 29, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is a good personnel guy. No one has ever argued that.

But you then must couple that with him being in the tank for agent Gary Wichard and Notre Dame.

We wouldn't really know if he is telling the truth unless he was with the Redskins and he indeed selected Clausen or would he have passed on him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

if Vinny predicted hot and muggy in August in DC, i'd wear a parka and mukluks

Posted by: mdrockjock | March 29, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Vinny likes him? that pretty much says that Clausen WILL suck then.

Posted by: arbano1 | March 29, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That's the thing. He's very smart with the passion and the football coverages and all of those things. Nothin' you can do.

Cerrato sounds like the demon spawn of Miss Teen SC and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 29, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"Count Vinny Cerrato among those who like Jimmy Clausen"

Count me among those that do not like Jimmy Clausen or Vinny Cerrto.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 29, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for Vinny. You can definately count on the Skins taking Okung now.

Posted by: dcwun | March 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are building a program. They aren't winning anything next season and will likely only start to improve in year two. So drafting Clausen - if ShaNaNa thinks he's player - at 4 is a great move. He can sit behind Grossman & Campbell to learn the offense and stay off the ground. The team can get a o-lineman at 37 and get another top tier o-line next year. Year two or three, Clausen's set to go.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 29, 2010 12:42 PM
================================
I read your complete diatribe on 5 Guys expecting something positive about JC.. and nothing?
damn, you're losing your edge.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Clausen has a potential libel case against Cerrato. Comments like that just might keep Clausen on the board well into the second round.

Posted by: tkoho | March 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Remember that time Vinny tried to sell urinal cakes?..........

Posted by: ggt546 | March 29, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

So...I take it you are still in his camp Learned?

I personally am starting to grow towards being ok if we draft him. MY only issue with him is his immaturity....Including the spiked hair look. Mayock was saying the same thing (he had some Hich School stories). And Vinny too (He must have known what was out there, so that makes sense for him to repeat it and talk about the steps he has taken).

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

damn, you're losing your edge.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think you're confused Skinneedagetalife. It is entirely possible to post on here without mentioning JC. I know you need your daily fix so keep it up and you'll get it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"If I usually date ugly women but I proclaim that Heidi Klum is hot does that make her less than hot just because I said it?

Posted by: learnedhand1"

Only if you proclaim that your ugly women are hot as well. Then you not only lose credibility, but provide fodder for the skeptics to believe your opinion is flat out wrong.

Hence the vitriol spewed towards Vinny's opinions.

Posted by: psps23 | March 29, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 29, 2010 12:55 PM

Definitely. And people can say what they want about all the help he got from Golden Tate but somebody had to get Tate the ball. The kid has run a pro-style offense for three years and has really improved. He was great last year. His team was terrible, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's taken me over 30 minutes to stop laughing after I read JR's post. That's why I couldn't respond earlier. I was on the floor.
The bad hair guys, Cerrato and Kiper( the guy with the pompadour and the big bored), are clowns.

Posted by: pjente | March 29, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

used to think kiper was "it" when it comes to college draft, being the face of the draft on espn. But the older I get the more I realize he's talking real fast and saying nothing. Mike Mayock if anyone can be labeled an expert is as close as "it" gets.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 29, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, i think some of the words in this sentence are out of order, LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a rats ass what Vinny thinks? The most valuable piece of info is that the agent is Vinnie's friend and he definitely has a horse in the race. ABC Anybody but Clausen works for me.

Posted by: wellscats | March 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

I get that learned but here's the thing. Many talk about JC not being a winner and yet we seem to ignore this with Clausen. ND has had excellent recruiting classes that consistantly ranked in the top 5-10.

He's hasn't led them to anything. He was an underachiever at ND given the hype that surrounded him. Was he a difference maker at ND? Don't think so. Look at his record with the talent ND had. All signs point to him being the next Jeff George.

Posted by: dcwun | March 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your insight Kindergarden Ninja, even though you are working for Clausen's agent and reported that Clausen's team said nice things about him.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | March 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hence the vitriol spewed towards Vinny's opinions.

Posted by: psps23 | March 29, 2010 12:57 PM

This may be so if you have not seen or do not know the hot chick to who I am referring. But if you know that she is indeed hot, why would you be skeptical of my opinion of her. You're logic is usually much better than this.

My point is that it is silly to dislike Clausen just because Vinny likes him. I can understand being skeptical under the circumstances if you are unsure of Clausen. What surprises me is that JReid would give Vinny a forum to help a friend when Vinny and the Skins gave TWP beat guys the Heisman when it wanted info the past few years.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

No to Clausen.

Small hands. Smells like cabbage.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 29, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Can we all just agree to NEVER use VC's name or input on this site ever again?! His track record speaks volumes over his words.

Is the reason everyone is talking about Clausen's "maturity" have anything to do with him getting punched in a bar later in the season? Nothin' says maturity like getting punched in a college bar. Because VC speaks of "maturity", "passion" and "maturity" repetitively makes be believe Clausen has neither.

Posted by: DCV1 | March 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato has an agenda as do most NFL analysts. Doesn't Cerrato have ND ties beyond those that JR reported above ? Of course this is off-season fluff reporting. It is funny that cerrato kinda attacks Mcshay as well.

More interesting to me are the comments from Matt Schaub a few entries down the page where he praises Shanny Jr. for elevating his game. I love me some Jason Campbell and hope he blossoms under Shanny and makes the Skins face a tough QB decision down the road.
Hail !!

Posted by: LMichael1 | March 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato sounds like the demon spawn of Miss Teen SC and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 29, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Get to da choppa, such as!

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

damn, you're losing your edge.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 29, 2010 12:57 PM
=================
no.. my "JC is not an NFL QB" fix has been taken care of by many others, on here, today... Let alone the Skins for not re-signing him..
Now we're on a nostalgic tour of another Snyder HOF selection called "Vinny was never a competent NFL personnel exec".

If Cerrato and Theisman both think highly of Clausen.... Agreed with others its time to run from Clausen..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 29, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to pass on Clausen.

Still waiting for Vinny to pick a winner.

Posted by: drpolarbear | March 29, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Ball didn't drop during Sam Bradford's pro day

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 29, 2010 12:58 PM ET

Well, we watched our very first pro day on the internets Monday.

By all early accounts, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford had a nice day. As we'd expect.

Bradford reportedly completed 49-of-50 passes. He was only off target once, but tight end Jermaine Gresham still made the catch. One pass wobbled, but Bradford's long passes were on target and showed good arm strength.

Look, we know pro days are made to make players look good. And we'll wait for smarter minds to chime on on Bradford's performance to see what they say.

You can't learn much from an online feed, but it didn't appear that anything that happened Monday would discourage the Rams from taking Bradford, if that's how they are leaning.

St. Louis will get another up-close look at Bradford's throws three days before the draft.

Draft is set...
1-Bradford
2-Okung
3-McCoy
4-Suh/Berry/Clausen

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 29, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I would accept Bradford at 4, although I would take Okung, Bulaga, Suh, DT mcCoy, or Berry before Bradford, but Claussen? Please No. Why didn't this guy throw at the combine? Bradford and McCoy had lame shoulders, whats claussen's deal?

Claussen at 37, sure

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Vinny likes him?? Great - Okung it is.

Posted by: MadeRED | March 29, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

We don't care what vinny thinks about anything. No more about him.

Posted by: jmy999 | March 29, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

PA, you can look at them all you want. A 5 Guys burger tastes like cardboard and cooking oil. You can't argue a burger. You can only eat it. If you like it, that's your problem. I'm only saying they taste awful and leave a pain in your stomach. I don't even like fast food burgers that much. (Love a Big Mac, but I never maintain that it's actually food).

I would say I'm a little shy of a conniseur... a pic of a Thurman Burger~! Nate had a good link to a burger site, too: http://portlandhamburgers.blogspot.com/

I'm not touting Burger King - I'm pschawing 5 guys. It's nasty.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

dcwun, did you watch any ND games last year?

Against Michigan leads 4th qtr comeback from 11 down only to see defense give up TD with 11 secs left.
Mich St. throws game winning TD in 4th qtr. Purdue - 4th qtr game winning TD with seconds left.
Washington - leads ND to lead with TD pass only to watch defense let Washington drive for game tying FG in a minute. Won game in OT.
Against USC comeback fell short. Defense gave up 500 yds.
BC - threw game winning TD in 4th qtr.
UConn - led to 4th qtr lead only to see D give it away. Lost in 2OT.
Stanford - D gave up 2 TDs in 4 qtr.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This is another reason not to draft Claussen. But to me, this is the kisser, "I'd like to know who Todd McShay talked to at Notre Dame about Jimmy. That's what I would like to know, because I was at the school and talked to everybody. And there's a lot of people there that were there when I was there, so they'll tell me the truth. And, you know, the truth"... Who at Notre Dame is going to say no don't draft our QB?

Posted by: clark202 | March 29, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCV1 | March 29, 2010 1:10 PM

He was leaving a restaurant with his parents and got sucker punched. And he showed his maturity by walking away rather than engaging in street brawl with an crazy fan.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 29, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Completely Off Topic:

Anyone listened to any Tommy Keene recently? I just saw he released another album last year. Didn't even know. He was also @SXSW this year.

...still a hell of a songwriter. BCC boy made good... even if it makes me gag to admit it. lol. Go Blazers! Figure out quadratic equations!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

You guys are ridicules!!!!

are there any real skins fans on this site.

I've been a skins fan for 45 years, all the way back to Lombardi.

Other than Trent Green, we haven't had a so called franchise QB in since Sonny.

Sure we had moments and 3 championships because we had a great coach.

This is a QB leauge and understand this...

We don't have a QB that can win.

If the skins take clausen (they will) it will be time for us skins fans to rejoice

Innocent until proven guilty... a clean slate.

It's clausen @ 4

Deal with it!

Posted by: byrdinthesky | March 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

c===8

Posted by: noseman4681 | March 29, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Getting recommended for qb by Cerrato is like being endorsed for office by John Edwards because you are 'upright and full of integrity'..........

Posted by: leopard09 | March 29, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Why even ask that clown what he thinks? If he happens to be right about Claussen - well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What's with Stars for tackles? It's a stupid rating system.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 29, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Count Vinny Cerrato among those who like Jimmy Clausen"

Isn't this all you really need to know about Jimmy Claussen?

Posted by: AsstGM | March 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

One more reason NOT to draft Clausen...Vinnie just cost this kid a lot of dough.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | March 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato must be pickled if he likes Clausen.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Well, by all means, if such a renowned expert like Vinny says it's true, then Clausen must be the second coming of Unitas. Let's trade up and get him.

Or, better, yet, stay away from Clausen completely.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | March 29, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

if vinny thinks he is a good pick. the best thing we can do on draft day is pass on him. there could be nothing worst on draft day than listening to what he thinks. we already know what he can do

Posted by: williedyn | March 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok I was 50/50 on drafting him but now I am 100% against drafting him if Cerrato liked him.

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

vinny cerrato is so dumb it's not even funny.

Posted by: BMACattack | March 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"And you know what? He plays with a passion. That's the thing."

Yeah, Vinny, that's the thing. And if Jason Campbell just played with more "passion" and was more of a loudmouth, he wouldn't have been on his arse all the time because the OL you constructed would have been compelled to stay healthy and/or play way above their abilities.

Can't we all pitch in and keep some duct tape over the mouth of this jackass?

Posted by: Goldenfried | March 29, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Dont ever quote Vinny again. who cares what that bum thinks.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | March 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey just because Campbell was a bust it doesn't mean Vinny's wrong about Clausen too.. Cerrato was right about Cooley afterall. But smart move by Reid, he'll do anything to keep Campbell the Redskins QB so what better way than to say Cerrato likes Clausen. Here's the thing.. I bet Snyder still listens to Vinny and Shanahan??? Hey he signed Grossman didn't he, not exactly a fan favorite. Shanahan will do what he wants regardless of what the blogs say ...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

cerrato liking a player = stay far, FAR away from said player.

Posted by: asdffdsa1 | March 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs wanted Cooley

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 29, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Kiss of death..."

Lol. what I was thinking.

That and Cerrato worked for ND once upon a time.

Thank God he's gone.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 29, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a QB that can win.
Innocent until proven guilty... a clean slate. I'm flipping sick & tired of losing and being beaten by other QB's who can win the flipping game in the 4th quarter.
It's clausen @ 4
Deal with it!
Posted by: byrdinthesky
_____
Well I've only been a fan 44 years but I agree with you. Besides this blog people around the league say Clausen is the 2nd best (some say best) QB in the draft. Some mock drafts say the Rams should pick Clausen first. It's up to Shanahan but if Mike thinks he can be a franchise QB he has to get him. OL can be improve by later picks and FA's (remember back in the day Grimm was drafted 3rd and Jacoby was a FA). But you build a team around a franchise QB. The Skins had Theismann long before the Hogs. Now we could had a chance to draft another number 7 out of Notre Dame.. to dismiss him because Cerrato likes him is just crazy...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Who,what? Cannot find the work "Vinny" in the dictionary.

Posted by: boyn4884 | March 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Who,what? Cannot find the word "Vinny" in the dictionary.

Posted by: boyn4884 | March 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Who,what? Cannot find the word "Vinny" in the dictionary.

Posted by: boyn4884 | March 29, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs wanted Cooley
Posted by: Mike4169
_____
Gibbs wanted Campbell too. In other words no one is 100% right or wrong...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 29, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought Campbell was Gibbs' guy? Either way, it doesn't matter. Campbell isn't Shanny's guy. Clausen is and he'll be the pick at #4.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 29, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Just when you thought Vinny couldn't make himself look any dumber, he surprises you.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | March 29, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately it's become rather clear that many of my fellow Redskins fans know absolutely nothing about football. If you did, you would learn to put your hatred for Cerrato aside so you could objectively analyze the players available for the upcoming draft. Do you realize how childish you sound when you say that you no longer like a guy because Vinny likes him too?? Grow up, I understand that Vinny made a bunch of bad transactions and I completely supported the move to bring in a whole new GM, HC, etc. but that doesn't mean he is not spot on with his Clausen analysis. Cerrato was fired because he had more bad transactions than he had good ones, the team did not win consistently and we needed to scrap everything and start over.

We have had a franchise LT in Chris Samuals and a top ten defense for most of he past decade and what has it got us?? The Saints, Giants, Colts, Steelers, Patriots and Buccaneers (who have won the past 9 Super Bowls) all had two things in common, not one of them had an OT drafted in the first round but they all had franchise QB's who took less the five years to produce at a high level. We need a franchise QB now, the longer we wait the longer it will take for us to become the team we want to be, competing for division titles, the playoffs and being capable of making the SB each year. Once we leave the first round our chances of drafting a QB capable of getting the job done decrease significantly, we need to take Bradford or Clausen if either one of them is available at #4 and move on like we have from the prior management, coaching staff as well as many multi year Redskin players who were cut. If you want to debate Clausen’s potential ability or lack thereof, step up to the plate and cite some specific examples as to why you believe he will not succeed. This whole “Vinny likes him so I hate him now” mentality is the type of reasoning that grade school kids use and you should be embarrassed by stating anything similar.

Posted by: rj3743 | March 29, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

vinny, who????

Posted by: Phillip258 | March 29, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If hanging around Vinny doesn't represent Clausen's lack of maturity I don't know what does. For God sakes my ears will bleed if I hear his name when our pick comes up...

Posted by: Eman8 | March 29, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is shilling for his buddy, who is Clausen's agent./

McShay may be right and Cerrato is wrong and I've got a limo and a speedo to prove it.

Posted by: bigman23 | March 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5
_____
Trading down to get Campbell was Gibbs biggest mistake in coming back. And your right Shanahan shows no interest in keeping Campbell here. I will celebrate when Campbell is finally traded and if Clausen is drafted i will get behind him 100% and hope he can finally be the franchise QB the Skins have needed for so long. Wouldn't be great if he could be like Theismann and the Skins could be set at QB for the next 10 years...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 29, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Peter Griffin voice: "hahahahaha...Vinny likes Jimmy"....

Posted by: natman19 | March 29, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I try to stay away from voicing this sort of opinion but I'm going against the grain on this one.

This is the same guy who clearly wasn't supporting Jason Campbell as the franchise QB and now that he's out of Washington and Jason's still here Vinny is still casting his vote to have Campbell replaced. It seems to be written all over his assessment/praise of Clausen. "He's very smart about football coverages, all those things. And you know what? He plays with a passion. That's the thing." That statement right there is feeding right into the public perception that some have about Jason suggesting that he can't read defenses and doesn't play with passion. Way to throw Campbell under the bus even when you aren't in DC any longer. My guess is that the new coaching staff will look into drafting a QB not necessarily because Jason can't get it done but simply because that's typically what new regimes do. It's almost like their stamp on the team.

Posted by: eazy413 | March 29, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

so Cerrato has ties to ND (Unfortunately, I knew that being an Irish fan) and Cerrato is great friends with Clausens Agent.... what else is he going to say... Cerrato is the biggest pleaser and b-kisser in the world... and yesm you all beat me to the punch, KISS OF DEATH FOR CLAUSEN! For peat sake, Clausen got his butt whipped on campus after a game by a student!!! the kid is not ready for the NFL. Only reason why he came out was because Weiss was gone and his status for the draft would of dropped with the new coach. Skins should not take him or a QB period with that 4th pick.

Posted by: rvanags | March 29, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, is this the same Vinny who had such a great eye for talent here in washington. Is this the same guy who gave up a 2nd & 6th round pick for a guy and think it would be wise to see if he was gonna workout with the team but took on a 17 million contract from a 34 year old player if Clausen needed a bad PR person he just hired the best around.

Posted by: elbolling3 | March 29, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

The opinion has loads of credibility now that Cerrato supports it. JR glad that you found some credibility for this article. I know I know. you had a deadline and didn't have anything.

Posted by: robjway1 | March 29, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Give me a g damn break. You got your nerve to write about Cerrato, the a_s h__e who set this franchise back years. Get out of the business Reid, for crying out loud. Who gives a crap about Cerrato? Jesus.

Posted by: getitritegov | March 29, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

First off, lets stop knocking JC. Every year he has started his QB rating has improved. The bottom line is the O-Line has been horrible at best and VC didn't address that as the area of MAJOR need. I trust Shanny and Allen to do whats best for the team. If its Clausen, than I hope he's holding the clipboard for a year to learn the system. If its Okung or Bulaga (or anyother T available) id be ecstatic. Finally we have a HC and GM that want to bring legitimacy back to the skin's, so lets just put our faith in them. We no longer have VC making horrible personnel decisions and spending exorbited amounts of money on guys who don't want to play anymore.

Shanny will do what he thinks is best. With that being said, im not on board with any of the QB's in the 1st rd, id personally go for Lafevre in the 4th and LT in the first and maybe a WR or CB, RB in the 2nd.

Jake Locker of UW will be available next year, that would be a perfect situation.

So please LT in the 1st and maybe even in the 2nd, than go for depth in the later rounds.

Posted by: pstylee | March 29, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

If I ever had any doubts about my team drafting a quarterback instead of a tackle I have no doubt now. Thanks for suggesting the quarterback Vinnie. Thank you Coach Shanny for drafting the tackle with the fourth pick that this team really needs. Need being the key word. Where you working at these days Bug Eyes?

Posted by: coastallp74 | March 29, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone please call Luca Brasi...Vinny "Boombatz" Cerrato needs to stop speaking to people inside the redskins family.

And is it me or does Clausen look like Jay Schroeder. "nice pass shroeder!" after the ball takes a nose dive into the mud

Posted by: boricuabopper | March 29, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Fix the o-line NOW forget the BS of getting some later draft picks for the line,that same stupid line of reasoning is one of the reasons the o-line is in the shape it is today. and theismann was a 4th round draft pick and hardly a so-called franchise qb. If okung is there at 4 draft him he can start this year none of these so-called top qb's should even go in the top 15 in this draft. The draft's strongest position is o-line fix it and start running the ball and protecting the qb. who cares what VC says about anyone stop mentioning him he was and still is a moron.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 29, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I already didn't want Claussen, so this article really made me laugh. Thanks for the puff piece, JReid!
I would love to see 2 OTs with our first 2 picks to make up for all the time we recently neglected the Oline in the past drafts, but would still not be shocked to see Claussen picked at #4. The only question is will the pick be because that's Shanny & Allen's choice or because that's Snyder's choice. You KNOW Snyder and Cerrato are still chumming it up and knocking back ideas together. Snyder and Vinny have been friends now a while; he wouldn't just stop talking to him after all those years.
Plus Vinny has got a lot to gain by getting Claussen into DC; his alma mater and all his ND friends get a lot more than just pats on their backs ($$$) if one of their boys goes #4 in the draft AND his friend, Claussen's agent, can put a lot more than new tires on his car if his client is picked #4. Don't tell me people's pockets aren't being lined on this on. It smells of a back-room DC political deal to me.

You and I may never know the REAL deal, but if Claussen does get the Skin's vote, I hope he kicks ass for years!!! I never want anything less (still want 2 top-tier OTs this year and a QB next year)

HTTR

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | March 29, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Haha well if Cerrato likes him he must be good.

Posted by: skins15 | March 29, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully ShanAllenhan will read this and steer clear of the "pickle". Cerrato is the black widower.

Posted by: DCFanatic | March 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

ever notice that cerratzo always throws in someone else in his decisions?this one says this,that one says that.never his idea.hes like everyone told me orakpo was a good pic.i asked london fletcher about d. hall and he said to sign him.vinny always has a fall guy.

Posted by: DLESMonday | March 29, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to hope the Skins don't pick him.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | March 29, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Clausen in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft ....because if Vinny "i have over rated & paid everyone too much" says he is the 4th pick in the draft then you should think 4th round ... OT 4th pick in the draft ....if Coach wants a qb to work with Teebow at the 2nd or 3rd round... If Campbell wasn't on his back he'd be great ...Gibbs' pick him personally !!! What now your gonna question Joe ??

Posted by: goodfella616 | March 29, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato and Kiper == butt buddies. And that's why he keeps saying the Skins will pick Clausen. Sheesh ... Mel, he isn't with the Skins anymore dude.

Posted by: periculum | March 30, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

goodfella616, So I guess Cerrato was wrong on Orakpo, Cooley, S. Taylor, L. Landry, Chris Horton, London Fletcher, S. Moss, Pete Kendall, Sean Springs, Randy Thomas, etc. Look, Cerrato had to go because the team lost way too much, he had more negative transactions than he did positive ones and this franchise needed a clean slate with a new GM, HC, coaching staff etc. Having said that, you have to understand that you sound like someone who knows absolutely nothing about football when you make the kind of statements you just made. Campbell wasn't that great in college and hasn't been anything but average at best during his time in the NFL.

Rothlisberger and A. Rodgers (look up their offensive numbers and how many times they got sacked this past year) got hit/sacked more than JC did but still found a way to produce at an extremely high level allowing their teams to win. In our second game against the Giants Todd Collins showed us with three consecutive completions (the 4th one was incomplete but should have been caught for a TD by Fred Davis) what our offense could do if we had someone under center that was able to make the pre-snap reads so they could get the ball out of their hand quickly and accurately. During that four play span, Collins accomplished more than JC did the whole first half (going against the Giant starters because JC was injured).

Posted by: rj3743 | March 30, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

goodfella616, How do you not understand that JC is not a franchise guy, for Gods sake we dangled him as trade bait last year and no one was willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him and the Broncos decided to move Cutler to the Bears instead of us because they liked Orton better Campbell!!! If Campbell is such a great QB who just needs a good OL to protect him than why hasn't any team come out and made a significant offer for him?? Under the current rules the Redskins could give him up via trade for much less than his first round tender but that won't happen because no one is willing to give us anything decent for guy they know will be released in a years time and is not that talented in the first place. Don’t be one of those guys who lets their hatred for a former HC, GM, etc. get in the way of objectively analyzing a college prospect.

So let me get this straight, if Cerrato likes a guy he automatically should be drafted 3 rounds later than where he projects, is that correct?? Because if that’s the case, Cerrato also believes that G. McCoy, Suh, Bradford and Berry should also be top 5 picks in the upcoming draft…do you realize how stupid that form of reasoning is?? Have you ever seen Clausen play, do you know what kind of system he ran (including his statistics), do you know how good or bad ND’s defense and running game was?? The reason Clausen is ranked in most analysts top ten is due to what he did in college as well as what the various NFL scouts, coaches and team officials are telling the many sports writers. The kid can flat out play, if you have any specific reason as to why you think Clausen is not a top ten pick step up to the plate and say why and I will respond in kind.

Posted by: rj3743 | March 30, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

A Big Mac has all 4 food groups and Vinnie Cerrato is the best GM the Redskins ever had.

Posted by: photoassign | March 30, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Btw, Jason La Canfora is reporting that the Ravens are willing to trade OT Jared Gaither if the price is right. Although Gaither has a first round tender as a RFA, apparently the Ravens would be willing to trade him for a high second round pick. JLC also reported that based upon what he is hearing that the Redskins are definitely interested in Gaither and obviously need help at the OT position. If you can't put two and two together I will do it for you, obviously if we trade away our 2nd round pick for Gaither we are definitely going to select a QB with the 4th pick and that will either be Bradford or Clausen. We had a franchise LT and a top ten defense for at least 8 of the past 10 years and that got us nothing but 2 playoff appearences. The one consistent thing we have always been lacking is the right guy under center to get the job done, JC is not that guy and Shanahan will confirm that by selecting a young QB in the first round to lead us back glory where we belong!!

Posted by: rj3743 | March 30, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm just curious why you would even interview Vinny. His track record in Washington is one of incompetence and ineptitude. He probably thinks you and I could play, too.

If Vinny likes this guy, then it ensures that he is no better than Rick Mirer, Part 2, or perhaps Ron Poulos, Part 2, and nobody would touch either of those.

DRAFT RUSSELL OKUNG!

Posted by: DC2Dallas | March 30, 2010 3:04 AM | Report abuse

So what?

OL! OL! OL! OL!

Posted by: kone | March 30, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato is being paid to prep Clausen for interviews with the pros - what do you think Cerrato is going to say? And he asked the folks working at ND? These two activities certainly give Cerrato credibility - NOT! After all us Redskins fans know - whatever Cerrato recommends - do the OPPOSITE! Forget Clausen and DRAFT AN OFFENSIVE TACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mvlee2 | March 30, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Endorsement by Vinny = Kiss of Death

Posted by: ericenderle | March 30, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is NOT an evaluator of talent, period.

He is NOT a free thinker, period.

He is the last person to be giving opinions on NFL personnel, period.

He could not accurately staff a flag football team, period.

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 30, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs' pick him personally !!! What now your gonna question Joe ??
Posted by: goodfella616
_____
There's nothing to question Campbel has been a disaster.. a bust on the level of Shuler. Look Gibbs was a great coach but he didn't run the draft when he was first head coach. And his QB Theismann was already there. Campbell was Gibbs biggest mistake and I believe at the end even he realized it. He called Collins performance off the bench the best he had ever seen. In fact when he left he said the Redskins should let Collins compete for starter.. I agreed.. it's just to bad Zorn questioned Joe...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 30, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rj3743
____
You make a helluva lot of sense... The Skins should draft Clausen at #4. Nothing is more important than franchise QB. For the Skins to be successful Campbell has to go....

Posted by: sovine08 | March 30, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Come on, Cerrato was more of a "trade the picks away" kind of guy. If he actually had any players to pick in the draft he was allright at it. I mean we've had some nice draft picks in recent years...i.e. Chris Samuels, Lavar, Rock Cartright, Betts, Dockery, Sean Taylor, Cooley, Carlogs Rogers, Anthony Montgomery, Rocky McIntosh, Kedric Goldson (good ST guy), Landry, Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, Chris Horton, SACKPO!!!

So, given the draft picks, he was not bad. He just sucked at selecting OLD talent through FA.

Posted by: harbirsingh | March 30, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse