Draft ends with Redskins focusing on offense, retaining defensive players

Analysis

Quarterback Jason Campbell left Washington on Saturday in a trade with the Oakland Raiders, but Albert Haynesworth, Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers remained on the roster after the three-day process in which the team focused on the offensive line - its biggest area of need - and added only one defensive player.

"Well, the Jason Campbell situation, obviously, took a different direction once we acquired Donovan McNabb," General Manager Bruce Allen said. "And working with his agent, and working with Jason, we were trying to find him a proper home where he had the chance to compete for a starting job. The trade worked out to compensation that we felt comfortable with and it was the place that Jason wanted to go."

The Redskins sent Campbell, their starter for three-plus seasons, to Oakland for a fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft, but retained the disgruntled Haynesworth, who does not want to play nose tackle in the team's new 3-4 scheme. Allen reiterated that the Redskins expect Haynesworth to be with them this season. "Believe me that Albert's agent has known from the first week the league year started what the thoughts were," Allen said. "We know where Albert stands and he knows where we stand. We look forward to having him have a productive season."

Teams did express interest in Haynesworth, according to a person familiar with the situation but were not willing to meet the Redskins' trade demands. McIntosh and Rogers were open to playing elsewhere because they are seeking multiyear contract extensions the Redskins apparently do not plan to offer this season. McIntosh has not signed his one-year tender offer and "you can't trade an unsigned player," Allen said. "We had no talks and we have not offered him anywhere. I expect him to be part of our team this year."

In the draft, the Redskins finally moved to bolster the offensive line in selecting three linemen - including tackle Trent Williams from Oklahoma with the fourth overall pick. In the seventh round, Washington took New Mexico center Erik Cook with the 229th overall selection and West Virginia tackle Selvish Capers at 231. So the Redskins used three of their six picks in the draft on offensive linemen.

Before picking Williams (6 feet 4, 315), the Redskins had selected just four offensive linemen in the top four rounds of the draft since 2000. And only Chris Samuels - a third overall pick - had become a star. Things are being run differently in the football operation with Coach Mike Shanahan in charge, and the focus on the line provided yet another example of the change that has occurred.

"You talk about the guy who hit the lottery, how about Chris Foerster?" Allen said of the Redskins' new offensive line coach. "Comes to a new team and gets three linemen in his first draft. Fifty percent of the draft is a Chris Foerster draft."

Williams has the most upside of any lineman in the draft, some talent evaluators believe, and should develop into a top-tier lineman if he adds some upper-body muscle and works hard. As for Cook (6-6, 318), he seems too tall for center and is projected as a guard. A tackle, Capers (6-4, 304) might work his way into the lineup on the right side if he makes the team.

Fourth-round pick Perry Riley (6-1, 239) was the only defensive player Washington selected. In fact, Washington joined Buffalo and Baltimore as the only teams that did not select a single defensive back. Riley, the 103rd overall pick, was a weak-side linebacker in Louisiana State's 4-3, "which is real similar to a middle linebacker in a 3-4," strong safety LaRon Landry said of his former college teammate. "He's a real high-motor guy just like me. He's going to come in here and work real hard right away."

With the 174th overall pick, the Redskins selected tight end Dennis Morris from Louisiana Tech. Morris (6-2, 265) plans to learn the tight end, H-back and fullback positions. The Redskins used the first of their three seventh-round picks to select UCLA wide receiver Terrence Austin, who was a productive kickoff and punt returner in the Pacific 10 Conference.

Austin, Morris and Riley could help fill some of the many holes opened on special teams with the release of veterans such as Rock Cartwright and Antwaan Randle El. "You might have a player [Austin] who can start for us on special teams at two return spots," Allen said. "I know the offensive coaches are excited to see what he can do as a receiver, but [special teams coordinator] Danny Smith is quite excited to get somebody with his potential."

Another tight end

According to a tweet from the UCLA athletic department, the Redskins may be adding another Bruin: Football. TE Logan Paulsen is headed to Redskins as a free agent. That's 4 Bruins in DC - Horton, Medlock, Austin and Paulsen!

By Jason Reid  |  April 24, 2010; 7:05 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Allen reiterates that Haynesworth, McIntosh weren't trade topics
Next: Shanahan evaluates Redskins' performance in his first draft

Comments

Leg Blount signs with the 49ers.

Posted by: will_ga | April 24, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Last time we took 3 OLine in first seven rounds (1981)two of them were Mark May and Russ Grimm. Just sayin...

Posted by: will_ga | April 24, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I've thought about AH at DE in 4-3. Never have to drop into coverage, bull rush men in space and w/o 3x teams. I do think he'd be a beast there. Let him collapse to the middle on runs. Oh, AH, can't you just feel the love? Can't you just smell the fear?

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:12 PM

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Kentucky RB Alphonso Smith signs with the Arizona Cardinals.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 24, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

*re-post*

all right then, the draft is done. STILL would have liked RO more than TW but that's NOT a condemnation of TW's skills. Shanny likes him better for the zone-blocking system, good enough for me.

Cook and Capers should set up some serious competition for OL playing time.

that Morris cat is verrrry intriguing. so's Terrance Austin.

all in all, not too shabby at all considering the mess that Vinny left.

*end re-post*

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I do know that AH would have trouble containing the run since he can't run seven steps w/o heading for the bench and the bottled O2. Makes one wonder, though, if we could let AH occupy a couple or three blockers on the sweeps and let the OLB run contain. Still, if AH rushed the QB from the outside, who contains then w/ the OLB dropped into coverage?
Pardon while I think outloud. AH on the edge won't work. The poor guy just can't run.

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Say hello to DENNIS MORRIS, say goodbye to MIKE SELLERS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

When do we hear who they picked up as on-drafted players?

Posted by: gregblanchsucks | April 24, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:26 PM

The Ravens use Ngata at the DE position, there is no reason why AH cant be just as effective if not more. If Haslett is the coordinator they hired him to be, he will find many uses for AH.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 24, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday sometime (I looked and looked for it) I said we would take a LB next and preferrably an ILB if any decent ones were left. Next an OT and then the best available in the seventh. I also said there should be no QB's or RB's. Thank you REDSKINS brass for following my lead.

The trades netted A loss of SOUP and a gain of a sixth and two more seventh's. I wasn't anticipating any of that of course.

BTW, I said several days ago we'd be lucky to get a seventh for CAMPBELL. What did we get in return from OAKLAND? I've been away for treatment.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

When do we find out who they picked up as un-drafted players?

Posted by: gregblanchsucks | April 24, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

which was the biggest Redskins Draft Bust?
Heath Shuler or Jason Campbell?
THE PICK
Heath cost a #4 pick in the 1st round . Jason cost two first round picks... a low 1st round pick used on him in 2005 and a higher 1st round pick traded to Denver in 2006 plus a 3rd and 4th.

THE TRADE

Skins got a 5th and a 3rd round pick in exchange from New Orleans for Heath.

For Jason, Skins got a 4th rndr in 2012.

I think Jason was worth far more than only a 4th.. More comparable to the compensation the Skins received for Heath.

Oddly, both QBs ended up in Oakland.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

KJJ, what's the diff in 'tude b/t AH and Ngata? Does Ngata train? Can he run b/t the sideleines not just to them a la AH? Don't see the Ravens here (SW Colo.) and don't care.

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to man the wires for undrafted free agents. When I see any that we sign I'll post it. Ciron Black gone to Pitt.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

CERTAINTY in an uncertain world:

TRENT WILLIAMS OT
PERRY RILEY OLB
DENNIS MORRIS TE
TERRENCE AUSTIN WR
ERIK COOK C
SELVISH CAPERS OT

JASON CAMPBELL is a RAIDER, and we get back next year's fourth with an extra fourth in 2012.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

TERRELL WHITEHEAD - FS
ARTHUR MOATS - DE/LB
ADRIAN TRACY - DE/LB
JARVIS GEATHERS - OLB

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Any on-line sites?

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Any on-line sites?

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 7:48 PM |

KFFL is okay but I'm just watching a live google feed on anything with the words undrafted free agent

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 7:39 PM

good question...

I think JC is a serviceable QB who never fit into a rotating system here, with a degrading OL on top. not hating, but he just wasn't a good fit at this point.

in contrast, HS never seemed to transition well to the NFL. fewer starts, more injuries, less consistent play, etc.

so I guess that given the hype, I would rate HS the bigger bust. higher expectations, less return.

wish JC well, but glad we're moving on. next year's draft will be interesting.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

i'm just glad we didn't draft a punter

Posted by: BMACattack | April 24, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Looks like two of my for undrafted suspects were, sp WHITEHEAD and GEATHERS should be ot there. Sign 'um up.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Much grass, signor.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

We started with 4 picks and ended up with 6 and 3 of them were Olineman...this was a good weekend.

I'm intrigued by this dude from UCLA. I would love to have a small speedster. I hope he makes the team.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@UCLAAthletics TE Logan Paulsen headed to #Redskins as a free agent.

Another TE??

Posted by: will_ga | April 24, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Much grass, signor.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:02 PM

where???????????

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Capers may be Stephon Heyer 2.0.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

TE Logan Paulsen is headed to Redskins as a free agent.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

UCLA TE Logan Paulsen signs with Skins.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | April 24, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

wish JC well, but glad we're moving on. next year's draft will be interesting.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 7:52 PM
======================
I think its a close tie.. However, if JC had engineered a trip to the playoffs at least once.. I would say HS was the worst bust..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

This sight has a pretty complete list of UFA's signed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

This sight has a pretty complete list of UFA's signed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:08 PM

I've been on it for an hour hitting the refresh button and we have ZERO confirmed signings.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 24, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

This sight has a pretty complete list of UFA's signed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:08 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 24, 2010 8:10 PM

the grass, not the UFAs... silly humans.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS just signed LOGAN PAULSON TE

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

As of 8:15

Redskins
Logan Paulsen, TE, UCLA

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 24, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975:

Try the NE PATRIOTSdraft.com site. They've got a comprehensive list and update every five minutes.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Does skinshaveaGM know this is a tackle football blog? What a giant vag.

Posted by: mack1 | April 24, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

This sight has a pretty complete list of UFA's signed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:08 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 24, 2010 8:10 PM |
================
Sad to the Skins with only one Undrafted signing.. Lowest of all teams, so far..Most other teams are averaging 8-10 signings.

Wonder if its a reflection of budget or this being Vinny's scouting team (Scott Campbell et al) that may have to clean out their desks on Monday?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I have to say... I just saw the video of "D-Mo" and was impressed with what I saw, too. I hope we can find a use for him at fullback. Seems like a diverse player that could add another really good wrinkle to our offense. Don't know if he's blocking or catching (or both) on any given play.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 24, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975:

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:19 PM |

Uh...see previous posts...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Does skinshaveaGM know this is a tackle football blog? What a giant vag.

Posted by: mack1 | April 24, 2010 8:19 PM

hey mack, not sure who you're tackling on this thread... and curious about the insult. do you not like vag?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Logan Paulsen, TE, UCLA

___________________________

Why??

Not sure why we are not attacking more UFA's... Seahawks sure are:

Seahawks
James Brindley, FS, Utah State
Marcus Brown, CB, Arkansas State
Reggie Carter, OLB, UCLA
Patrick Devenny, TE, Colorado
Kevin Dixon, ILB, Troy
Adrian Martinez, C, Colorado State

I just think this was a very deep draft & couldn't believe how long some of the players lasted... Clausen, McCoy... other QBs going undrafted... must be some talent still out there. Where is FS??

Posted by: tony325 | April 24, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

anyone see that yahoo article on best and worst drafts? this jaka$$ says skisn had a bad draft and only mentions the 4th pick and how we had no picks...did this guy cheat and write his article before the draft was over? Appears so

No mention how they traded etc etc for more picks and picked needs like O line!

Posted by: leevi98 | April 24, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

can't believe I typed that w/ a two-year old on my lap... peace everyone. I'm looking forward to camp, start of the season, and everything in between.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

"D MO" I like that nickname for our new TE/halfback/fullback!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Where is FS??

Posted by: tony325 | April 24, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Still at NORFOLK STATE, TERRELL WHITEHEAD. Come on SKINS pick him up. JARVIS GEATHERS too, JUMPY's son.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Uh...see previous posts...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Well screw you then. See if I try to help you again.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Looking at his youtube clips..my guess Paulsen ends up as a RT.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | April 24, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Looking at his youtube clips..my guess Paulsen ends up as a RT.

Posted by: mmcghee701 | April 24, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Does skinshaveaGM know this is a tackle football blog?
Posted by: mack1 | April 24, 2010 8:19 PM

===============
Mack1...WTF are you talking about??
Unless maybe you're really talking about "skinshaveaGM" and you thought you were in the Style section of the Post?? SkinshaveaGM hasnt been on this thread, as far as I can see.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Jarvis is a little guy next to his Father.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 24, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Uh...see previous posts...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Well screw you then. See if I try to help you again.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 8:33 PM

Lol!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

And who said that the Eagle Bank Bowl was going to be worth going for scouting purposes?

UCLA guy drafted and UFAed. I mean I was rooting for Temple but still this is a good sign of the value of a Bowl game in the city.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 24, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I mean, going into the draft I could see how you'd rank this a horrible draft for us. But if you look at what they had (again, comin' in) and what they ended up with, percentage wise, we could end up with a fantastic draft.

Hey, I wish we had 12 pics, too. But given all the previous SJK, that wasn't the case.

I'm a little surprised about the TE. Lets hope he's good\ish.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

giant vag?!?!? wtf

True republican. Y do U hate women mack?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 24, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Ref: Logan Paulsen TE..ucla..
Possibly another recommendation to the Skins from DeWayne Walker (Redskins cornerbacks coach in 2004 and 2005) who is a coordinator on ucla's staff.
Walker also recommended Chris Horton in 08 to Snyder, who turned out pretty well (of course Vinny took credit for it).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

giant vag?!?!? wtf

True republican. Y do U hate women mack?

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 24, 2010 8:52 PM

Been too long of a week to rise to the bait.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

which was the biggest Redskins Draft Bust?
Heath Shuler or Jason Campbell?
THE PICK

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 7:39 PM |

I think that drafting Jason cost one 1st (in 2006), one 3rd (in 2005), and one 4th (in 2006). The 2005 1st round pick was acquired as part of the trade.

Posted by: supattapone | April 24, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

My biggest question is why didn't we make the deal for Oakland's Kirk Morrison with Jason Campbell instead of picking Riley? I've payed close attention to him and he is a beast at LB. I cannot believe OAK traded a 5th n Morrison for a 4th. The skins could have given up even more and it still would have been a great deal. Not getting Morrison is really my main beef with this draft. Also, he won me a lot of money in fantasy football with some of his IDP stats. He is a beast and we botched it.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | April 24, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Been too long of a week to rise to the bait.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:57 PM

bless you, scamp...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

honest question: Scamp, you changin' your handle?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

honest question: Scamp, you changin' your handle?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:04 PM |

Um, I'm almost afraid to ask but "Why do you ask?" ...and no I'm not.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, we got a few Olineman so I can't be too pissed, although I would have much prefered Bruce Campbell in the 4th, as I think a player of his athleticism could be a devastating RT in the zone-block scheme and could have started sometime this next season.

Not sure if Perry Riley is a project or what, but he better step up and win some PT.

In other news, the Jason Campbell Defense Union has gone the way of GM and completely collapsed, as JC17's resale value turned out to be a single solitary 4th round pick...in the year 2030.

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Lol!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, laugh you frickin' jerk.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Capers may be Stephon Heyer 2.0.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

which was the biggest Redskins Draft Bust?
Heath Shuler or Jason Campbell?
THE PICK

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 7:39 PM |

Posted by: supattapone | April 24, 2010 8:57 PM
===========
I was going by what JR wrote in an early RI posting.. I guess JC counts as two 1st round picks because one was used in 2005 to select JC and the Skins traded the one in 2006 to Denver (became a #11 overall used on Cutler) to move up to select JC. So that would make it two Firsts that JC cost..I think? Just like they used only one First round pick to select Heath.

Anyway.. I think JC was a steal for Oakland.. who had a great Draft.. I think the Oakland staff told Al Davis the Draft was next week.. not this week.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I thot it mighta been based on our QB somehow.

But he's a bit younger than that, isn't he. ... m'bad. :]

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

LaRon Landry said of his former college teammate. "He's a real high-motor guy just like me."

+++++++++++++++++

Pray to God that doesn't mean he runs wildly to the ball carrier and aimlessly launches his body, whiffing on the tackle...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

..lol... sorry... X QB!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

so here we are... 2010 draft finished.

new management

new coach.

same owner.

still some room for offseason movement.

don't want to play goofy google search games for obscure stats on lower tier players...

what do you really think?

are we better or not?

I say yes.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:12 PM

3 best 2010 drafts: Seahawks
Raiders
Lions (good for Mayhew)

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

lmao@P1

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

We were better the moment Zoron was canned. Even better still when Cerrato got the boot. McNabb? sure, why not.

How much of this will effect our record this season? We'll see - but for the future... looks bright to me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

oh, and like i said earlier, ours wasn't too shabby either.

my first reaction to any pick the 'skins made was skepticism and disappointment. i guess kind of like one of Pavlov's dogs salivating at the sound of a bell, i've been conditioned.

be glad to be broke of that habit (the skepticism not the salivating)

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES --- SPECIAL EDITION
brought to you by Yahoo!

End of the Jason Campbell Era

ZEKE'S Part 1

Its done and over with. Not many wins, not a lot of success.

A quick recap. It all began with Joe Gibbs trading 3 picks for Campbell to grab him 25th overall. The questions were instant. Did Gibbs have a history selecting quality QBs? Did he have an understanding of how to value draft picks? Given his time away from the game, did he know how to develop a young QB? The answer to each question would turn out to be ‘No’. Perhaps the most salient question was this: If you were going to spend serious picks to get a QB in the draft, why not get the much higher rated Aaron Rodgers, selected just 1 pick before Campbell?

Campbell sat on the sidelines for about a season and a half, before Brunell’s inability became too much to bear. Campbell started the final 7 games in 2006 and his performance was typical of a young QB. He was inconsistent, but showed some promise on a team that showed little else. He took over the job the next season, played 12 games and the team was 5-7 when he went down with an injury. The world changed for Campbell when Todd Collins won the next 4 games and got the Skins into the playoffs. Questions about Campbell’s leadership and abilities emerged in a serious way. If Collins, a career backup, could win, why did Campbell struggle to win?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

some NFL sites are saying Skins 2010 Draft ranked the worse of all 32 teams.
"Nothing exciting"..

I would call it a needed blood letting or course correction for 3-4 years of Vinny/Snyder incompetence... Their Best Player Available approach got us progressively worst till we reached 4-12 and no OLine.
Vinny's scouting department should be packing right now, too.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 2

Joe Gibbs departed after the 2007 season. Among the unfortunate features of Joe Gibbs 2.0, were his diminished understanding of the game and the limitations in his ability to develop Campbell. Gibbs played a highly conservative, ‘play not to lose’ style. This style had some positive aspects, but QB development wasn’t one of them.

In 2008, the Skins chose to adopt a west coast office and Jim Zorn took over for Joe Gibbs. Among Zorn’s key tasks were to implement the new offense and develop Jason Campbell.

The opener of 2008 was an ugly game vs the jints. One minor nugget was that Campbell had performed well out of the shotgun, while the WCO had looked bad. Zorn, with a longer than normal break between a Thursday opener and the following game, made one of the few smart moves he would make as HC. He adapted the play calling to the strengths of the team. It worked. 6 wins in the next 7 put the Skins in the thick of playoff hunt. Campbell looked like a QB that was growing into the role. He was ‘interception free’ in those 7 games, had 6 games of 90+ rating, 4 over 100. Among the accomplishments were wins over the next 2 NFC Super Bowl QBs/teams, Warner with the Cards and Brees with the Saints. It also included road wins against McNabb in philly and romo in dallas.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 3

The downward turning point for Campbell came in a devastating Monday Night loss to Pittsburgh, and it was a spiral that he never recovered from in DC. The one major team weakness was the Skins aging and injury prone OL. The Steelers defense simply overwhelmed our OL and the offense was ineffective. Over the last 8 games, the Skins would play 4 games against league’s top 5 defenses. In those 4 games, Campbell’s QB rating averaged about 60, all losses. Behind the crumbling OL and rising dissention in the locker room, the Skins finished with an 8-8 season. Just as importantly, Jim Zorn had lost the team. The extent to which he had lost the team wouldn’t be obvious, however, for another year.

Debacle ’09 ® began in earnest when the front office, after witnessing the failure of the OL in ’08, did essentially nothing to improve the OL in the offseason. The result was the ’09 Skins were the only team that was in the bottom five in both sacks and yards per carry.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 4

Now for some my speculation. When Cerrato took control after Gibbs left, Vinny sold Danny on his plan. For starters, it would be Cerrato’s team and not Joe Gibbs’ team. He place markers, including the west coast offense, Jim Zorn, big WRs and a preference for ‘Vinny selected’ personnel over ‘Gibbs selected’ personnel. The good start in ’08 had taken the team away from the WCO implementation. In the offseason following 2008, I think Vinny convinced Snyder that the failure to develop the WCO had been a major reason for the problems in the second half of ’08. Prior to the 2009 season, I suspect Cerrato told Zorn that the WCO was going to be implemented in full and that was ‘non-negotiable’. Inside the organization, the blame for the ’08 problems were placed heavily on Jason Campbell. Vinny was invested in Jim Zorn and the WCO, not the QB that Joe Gibbs had selected. Trade rumors swirled in the offseason about Campbell and the Skins devalued him considerably in the process.

Further, whatever teaching Zorn had done with Campbell simply didn’t work. I can’t say with any certainty whether the issue was Campbell or Zorn, though I suspect it falls more on Zorn. Campbell regressed in 2009, though his stats showed improvement and he finished 15th in the league in QB rating – a remarkable accomplishment in light of the surrounding chaos. It is worth noting that Debacle ’09 ® featured 11 different starting OL and 4 different starting RBs. Changes also occurred at the #2 WR, the TE and, infamously, at play caller. With Cerrato’s late season dismissal, large parts of the team essentially quit. While Campbell didn’t quit, he gave a particularly horrid performance during a Monday night team meltdown vs the jints, the first game in front of new GM Bruce Allen. Soon after the season finished, it would become obvious that Allen and Mike Shanahan were not enamored of Campbell, and that Campbell’s days in DC were numbered.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 5

It is worth noting Campbell had a QB rating of 84 in 2008, against an unusually difficult schedule. In that light, his 86 rating in 2009, 15th best in the league, should not be considered a fluke. Campbell had 9 games in 2009 with a QB rating over 90. The Skins were 2-7 in those games. The other 3 QBs in the division, romo, eli and McNabb, combined for 27 games (8 for Donovan, 9 for eli, 10 for romo) with a QB rating over 90. Their record in those games was 23-4.

The image many will associate with Campbell’s ’09 season were his failures during last gasp drives. He made plenty of late 4th quarter mistakes in winnable games. However, Campbell had the team in position to win (go up 2 scores), in the 4th quarter in at least 3 times (up 5 vs philly, up 7 vs Saints, up 6 vs dallas). The coaches decided to run the ball in these games, settle for FG attempts and trust the defense. In each game, the other team scored a TD on the following possession to tie or take the lead.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's scouting department should be packing right now, too.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:26 PM

Why? What's your case against them?

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 6

Some will argue Campbell did not get a fair chance. I don’t buy it. Yes, its true Gibbs had forgotten far too much football in his absence and Zorn was a bad coach and teacher. It is true that Campbell had to adapt to 3 very different offenses here, Gibbs, Saunders and Zorn. And its true Campbell often played with less than stellar resources. James Thrash as a 3rd WR? Yikes.

There is no Campbell had a chance to prove himself. When evaluating Campbell, it is necessary to take into account the situations with coaching and personnel. He had plenty of chances to show what he could do. In my eyes, he did pretty well. The dysfunction around him was immense, the pounding he took was serious, the front office failure to address the OL bordered on criminal. Of the teams in the bottom ten in sacks allowed, several had serious QB injury issues (including Campbell’s new team, the Raiders) and only 3 had the same QB start all 16 games (Rodgers and Garrard were the other 2). The Debacle ’09 ® team could not run the ball and could not pass protect. The Skins were the only team in the bottom 5 in the league in both yards/carry and sacks. It is tough to succeed as a QB in that situation.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 7

Campbell’s drawbacks have been widely discussed. I agree with most, disagree with a few. What I don’t agree with is the overall assessment. Every QB has flaws, Campbell’s seem to get a disproportionate amount of air time. Campbell proved that if you protect him, he’ll be effective. Even if you don’t protect him, he can play OK. He was the Skins second leading rusher in both ’08 and ’09, averaging over 5 yards a carry both seasons. The Skins were 4th from the bottom in yds/carry in ’09. Take out QB contributions to yds/carry and the Skins were 2nd worst. It is easy to overlook these things.

There are things that Campbell needs to succeed. Every smart team adapts to the skills of their players. An example for Campbell, I think he needs more time to get in synch with his WRs, both in preseason and prior to the start of a game. It can be argued Campbell should have demanded changes that helped him. I suspect this is his biggest flaw. Once a player identifies what it takes to be effective, it is time to adapt. For whatever reason, that didn’t happen in DC.

The time, money and opportunity spent on Campbell may result in a successful career for Campbell. He wouldn’t be the 1st or 2nd or even 3rd Redskin QB to find very green pastures elsewhere. In a good situation, he can be successful. We saw that in ’08. Oakland, however isn’t a good situation. For starters, Oakland was 3rd in sacks allowed, the Skins were 4th. Oakland needed 3 different QBs to get through 2009.

However, from a Redskin perspective, there is only one conclusion. There was plenty of time, money and draft picks spent on Jason Campbell. There was not much return. For the Redskins organization, the Jason Campbell era was a failure.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 9:07 PM

Right...because trade value is what makes a player good. Guess that Randy Moss sucks because NE got him for the same 4th round price JC did. Santonio Holmes is a real bust since the Jets got him for a 5th. Oh, and I think Mark Brunell is going to be added to our Ring of Honor since we got him for 3rd rounder and paid him a sh*tload of money.

Like I've said...JC bashers got their wish. You've got your upgrade at QB, you've got #17 outta town. Move on. Comparing him to Heath Shuler is not only complete and total lunacy bordering Eagle fan stupidity, but it's making it look like your distaste for JC is more personal than business.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Of the NFC East clubs, Philly had the most interesting draft, taking a whole bunch of players in a variety of areas except the one where they needed the most help: offensive line. They sure act like a team that's rebuilding. Not one that thinks it's a contender for a title.

Dallas acted as if they think they're ready for the season. Taking Dez Bryant is the sort of risk a contender takes if they DO suspect there's a run at a Super Bowl title in the near future.

The Giants didn't get much help at LB, which is something of a surprise, but they helped themselves on the interior d-line. Osi can't feel good about their first choice, however. His time with the club may be short.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 24, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM

indeed. co-sign.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse
The skins traded THREE picks to acquire JC. As I recall, we traded a current year(2005) 3rd, plus a future (2006) 1st and 3rd. Since future year selections are discounted by one round each, next year's 1st and 3rd are considered equivalent to this year's 2nd and 4th. So we used the equivalent of this year's(2005) 2nd, 3rd and 4th to acquire the pick to acquire JC. Please do not double count. We used a #2, #3 and #4 to get a 1st rd pick used to get him. If we didn't make the trade, we would have used those picks to pick 3 players, not 4.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM
=================
brownie...you're out of your gord.. How does comparing two Redskins QBs.. make it personal?? This is a football blog for chrissakes..
I guess Shanahan and Allen, by trading JC away, for less value than the Skins got for Heath Shuler, makes them just as "personal" about JC? It had nothing to do with his skills... JC just offended them somehow and it became "personal".
===
Heath, a QB, was a Redskin's First round pick.
JC, a QB, was a Redskins First round pick.

Neither took the Skins to the playoffs and both were traded away for picks...

I would say its fair to compare the two and I have nothing "personal" against Shuler or Campbell (except for the picks they wasted).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
which was the biggest Redskins Draft Bust?
Heath Shuler or Jason Campbell?
THE PICK

THE TRADE

Skins got a 5th and a 3rd round pick in exchange from New Orleans for Heath.

For Jason, Skins got a 4th rndr in 2012.

Oddly, both QBs ended up in Oakland.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I thot it mighta been based on our QB somehow.

But he's a bit younger than that, isn't he. ... m'bad. :]

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 9:13 PM |

Nope, I happen to have the same name as our illustrious Director of Pro Personnel.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Zeke -- nicely done. Great recap of the JC era. Agree with your analysis. The way the new front office handled this draft makes me feel as if a new era has arrived. The haters may disagree but I will trust the guy who won two Superbowls over them.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 24, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Lol!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, laugh you frickin' jerk.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 9:10 PM |

Unbunch 'em bro. Unbunch 'em.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Zeke, now close the book please.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM

indeed. co-sign.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse
co-co-sign!

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrChili | April 24, 2010 7:26 PM

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 24, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I think you missed the point here. Ngata is a tough football player. AH is just fat. There is a difference.

Posted by: Ireland2 | April 24, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

leave Albert be! leave albert be!

come on, everybody join in.

leave Albert be! take it RI...

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

yeh. I woulda liked more than a 4th for Soup. (Where I thot the "S" was from in scamp's handle.. hehe) But I can't say that anything better than that wouldn't have been us taking advantage of someone.

Unless he figures out how to read a D, he won't succeed anywhere. I do wish him well, however. Especially since he's over in the AFC. hehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM
=======================
apologies.. my mistake, then..
below is a clip and paste from Jason's Wikipedia.Org page. Which I believe Jason's agency maintains...

Needless to say, its a freefall from what the Skins gave up to what they got in return.

From Wikipedia.Org
"Campbell was drafted as the 29th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins under General Manager Vinny Cerrato. The Redskins traded up in the draft to get Campbell, surrendering a third round pick in the 2005 NFL draft, along with first and fourth round picks in 2006."

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

They could actually get more use outta benching AH than playing him. It all depends on if he's going to half-sjk it or not.

But as long as everyone is professional about it, it should work out either way. Then maybe we can get something for him after the next collective bargaining agreement is rendered.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Redskins biggest bust pick ever is

Cal Rossi

We drafted him in the first round two years running and he never played pro football

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM

indeed. co-sign.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse
co-co-sign!

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, me too.

Co-sign times infinity.

All you Jason-Campbell meanies go what you wanted.

Now...(lip quivering, voice cracking)...just leave him alone...OK!!!

(Full-blown weeping)

JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE!!! LET THE MAN BE IN PEACE, OK!!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!?!?!

*sniffle*

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Sport Science did a piece on Selvish Capers. Check it out.

Posted by: TWISI | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

WHO?

guess i gotta bing that.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE!!! LET THE MAN BE IN PEACE, OK!!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!?!?!

*sniffle*

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM

lol i was thinking of doing that bit pertaining to Albert.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Cal Rossi was an American football running back at the University of California, Los Angeles.

He is the only football player ever to be selected twice in the NFL Draft. He was first drafted in the first round (ninth overall) of the 1946 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. This is considered to be one of the biggest blunders in NFL Draft history.

This is because Rossi was a junior, and was not draft eligible. He was again chosen in the first round of the 1947 NFL Draft by the Redskins, but he never played football professionally.

In 1945 Cal Rossi was the second leading rusher in the nation before being transferred to the Naval Corps Supply School at Harvard University on November 1st as part of his military service requirements.

In the five games Rossi played in 1945 he gained 679 yards and averaged 7.15 yards per carry. His 169 yards against the University of Oregon stood as a UCLA rushing record until 1961

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Sport Science did a piece on Selvish Capers. Check it out.

Posted by: TWISI | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow. It makes him look like the Terminator of offensive tackles.

If he's half as sweet as they make him out to be in that bit, then we've got a pretty hardcore RT in place.

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, TERRELL WHITEHEAD's gone. Your loss REDSKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 24, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow...looking back at what we gave up for Campbell....A FIRST, A THIRD and A THIRD....

Gibbs was nuts (sorry guys..it was)

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was nuts (sorry guys..it was)

Posted by: rickyroge | April 24, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

CAN YOU JUST LEAVE JASON CAMPBELL ALONE!!!!

WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST THE MAN!?!?!?

SHEESH!?!?!

...yeah, it was nuts...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Re: Heath Shuler versus Jason Campbell. I have a problem with trying to compare 1 first round pick with other picks traded to get Campbell. Bottom line is we had a really valuable pick when we took Shuler (the result of a truly horrendous year under Petibone). The fact that we had to trade into the first round to get Campbell and overpaid for a trade, is irrelevant. Campbell cost a late first round pick. Shuler was a #3 pick. Shuler ended up losing the QB competition to Gus Frerotte, who was a 7th rounder. Shuler played 4 years in the league and had a cumulative QB rating of 54.3 (his highest year was his first). Campbell has completed four years in the league and there is no reason to believe he doesn't have many productive years ahead of him. His cumulative QB rating is 82.3 and has improved each year of his career. Campbell has over 1000 completions for over 10,000 yards and 55 TDs. Shuler managed to compile 292 completions for under 3700 yards, with 15 TDs, 33 INTS, and a completion percentage below 50%. For what it is worth, ESPN voted him the 4th biggest NFL draft bust of all time and the 17th biggest sports flop of the past 25 years. Jason Campbell has been a disappointment and hasn't played up to his draft status, but comparing his "bust" level to Shuler ridiculous.

Posted by: MrDumberton | April 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Shellfish Capers!!??

Is that anything like Mollusk Olives?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE!!! LET THE MAN BE IN PEACE, OK!!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!?!?!

*sniffle*

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM

lol i was thinking of doing that bit pertaining to Albert.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hear ya.

Except Fat Al is actually useful to the team...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:26 PM

nice stuff... night everyone.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Logan Paulsen, TE, UCLA
Anderson Russell, FS, Ohio State
Marques Slocum, DT, Eastern Arizona

as of 10:30

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 24, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | April 24, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Campbell thinks he's had a bad shake so far in the NFL with the Skins??

Half a season in Oakland, and I bet the Snerrato experience is going to feel like Shangri-La...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hear ya.

Except Fat Al is actually useful to the team...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:31 PM

that's what was funny, i'd have been the dude under the blanket sayin' "just LEAVE ALBERT ALONE! (snivel)"

man, im HAPPY we upgraded at QB, i've always been in that camp. it's amazing, though, that we still talk more about J friggin' C17 than DMac5.

and i don't know if brownwood was responding to a post of yours, i was just co-signing on what he said.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings agreed to terms with ten undrafted free agents, according to Judd Zuldad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

Quarterback R.J. Archer of William & Mary, wide receiver Ray Small of Ohio State, guard Thomas Austin, Clemson; tackle Matt Hanson, Midwestern State; center Tommy Hernandez, UC-Davis, wide receiver Aaron Rhea, Stephen F. Austin; strong safety Terrell Skinner, Maryland; wideout Kelton Tindal, Newberry; cornerback Angelo Williams, Ferris St; tackle Marlon Winn, Texas Tech.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

So far...

Redskins
Logan Paulsen, TE, UCLA
Anderson Russell, FS, Ohio State
Marques Slocum, DT, Eastern Arizona

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Free safety from Ohio State?

Interesting.

Too bad the Big Ten is an overrated turtle-slow run-n-QB-sneak conference, or this guy might actually be decent.

Are there any really good safeties out there that come from the Big Ten??

Just curious.

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

see, like that. Vic1 doesn't know a damn thing in the world except 17 sucks. he's like an annoying 17-bashing savant.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

SF signs Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount, West Virginia quarterback Jarrett Brown, Florida return man LeRoy Vann.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

"Trent Williams...Erik Cook...Selvish Capers....."

Last week, it was, "Kyle Shanahan says he's pleased with the redskin offensive line."

Then the team adds three players to it, meaning five new faces will dot the offensive line depth chart next Fall.

(My money says Williams and Capers will be bookend starting tackles before the end of next season.)

Talk about someone not being open and truthful: you don't add three guys if you are satisfied with the people they might replace.

And so, given the new additions to the line, are we upset at Kyle jrs. white lie?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 24, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

i think we may have what we need as far as FS with Moore and Holmes on the roster. then again who knows? can't evaluate that type of stuff until pre-season, and god knows you can't evaluate it from the Zorn era.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hear ya.

Except Fat Al is actually useful to the team...

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:31 PM

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes. This blog has a fair share of "Chris Crockers" when it comes to JC17.

JC17 has been such an integral part of the Redskins lack of success over the years, that tonight's focus on him is like one last cathartic dumping session to cleanse the mind and try to make peace with the last 3 years.

I'm very much looking forward to moving on in life.

Posted by: p1funk | April 24, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

The above site has a breakdown of the draft by division/team.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS:

Best Pick: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma (1st round, No. 4 overall): The Redskins kind of couldn't miss here. Since they weren't picking again until No. 103, they had to use their first-rounder on a tackle to protect newly acquired QB Donovan McNabb. They went with Williams, having deemed him more athletic than Okung among the top available tackles.

Riskiest Pick: Perry Riley, LB, LSU (4th round, No. 103 overall): No offense to Riley, a good, sound linebacker who should make an immediate contribution. It's just that the Redskins appear to have greater needs in the secondary, and there were safeties (Stuckey, Chancellor) and cornerbacks (Lindley, Owusu-Ansah) available at this spot that might have been of more immediate help.

Final Analysis: The Redskins will always view this draft through the prism of the deal they made weeks ago to send a second-rounder to Philadelphia for McNabb. Once that was done, the most important thing became fixing the rotten line in front of him. They addressed that big-time with their first pick, Williams, added blocking tight end Dennis Morris in the sixth round and picked up a center (Erik Cook) and a tackle (Selvish Capers) in the seventh round, adding depth to the O-line. They stayed focused on their most important task throughout.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"Must feel sorry for Oakland... who may have picked up the only quarterback worse than their own."

They added J Ford--a speedster--to L Murphy, Heywood-Bay, and McFadden.

If Campbell's play improves, the raiders might feel lucky to have a vet quarterback and a young skill player core.

But Campbell lacks the long ball accuracy that makes speed receivers valuable, and the raiders will miss the #4 rounder they gave up for him next year.

And whereas I don't hate the silver and black, it's nice to slick roll some other team into taking what we don't want.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

as long as he works out for the 'skins i really don't give a shti, but what made Capers slip?

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

FA signings

Arizona Cardinals
--RB Alfonso Smith (Kentucky)
--WR Max Komar (Idaho)
--OT Casey Knips (San Diego St)

Atlanta Falcons
--TE Colin Peek (Alabama)
--LB Bear Woods (Troy)
--DB Rafael Bush (South Carolina St)
--WR Ryan Wolfe (UNLV)

Baltimore Ravens
--RB Curtis Steele (Memphis)
--LB Mike McLaughlin (Boston College)
--S Morgan Cox (Tennessee)
--CB Prince Miller (Georgia)
--DB Josh Morris (Weber St)

Buffalo Bills
--CB John Destin (Tulsa)
--WR Naaman Roosevelt (Buffalo)
--WR Donald Jones (Youngstown St)
--RB Joique Bell (Wayne St)
--CB Stephan Virgil (Virginia Tech)
--S Brett Johnson (California)
--DE Antonio Coleman (Auburn)
--OT Levin Horn (Montana)
--RB Brandon Minor (Michigan)

Carolina Panthers
--OG Kurtis Gregory (Missouri)
--S Matt O’Hanlon (Nebraska)
--OT Mark Ortmann (Michigan)

Chicago Bears
--WR Freddie Barnes (Bowling Green)
--P Desi Cullen (UConn)
--LB Mike Mayberry (Indiana)
--TE Brandon Moore (Michigan)
--TE Vernon Sims (Northern Illinois)
--S Quintin Scott (Northern Iowa)
--WR Greg Matthews (Michigan)
--CB Cornelius Brown (UTEP)
--WR Antonio Robinson (Nicholls St)

Cincinnati Bengals
--LS Mike Windt (Cincinnati)

Cleveland Browns
--OT Casey Bender (San Diego St)

Dallas Cowboys
--QB Matt Nichols (Eastern Washington)
--C Phil Costa (Maryland)
--S Barry Church (Toledo)
--FB Chris Gronkowski (Arizona)

Denver Broncos
--LS Clint Gresham (TCU)
--TE Nathan Overbay (Eastern Washington)
--DT Jared Baston (Missouri)
--TE Michael Palmer (Clemson)
--DE Brandon Gillbeaux (Delaware)
--OT Chris Marinelli (Stanford)
--S Marcellus Bowman (Boston College)
--TE Riar Geer (Colorado)

Detroit Lions
--WR Mike Moore (Georgia)
--DT Rob Calloway (Saginaw)
--FB Matt Clapp (Oklahoma)

Green Bay Packers
--RB Quinn Porter (Stillman)
--DE Frank Zombo (CMU)
--CB Sam Shields (Miami)
--DL John Russell (Wake Forest)
--DE Tim Knicky (Stephen F. Austin)
--WR Jeff Moturi (UTEP)
--OT Chris Campbell (Eastern Illinois)

Indianapolis Colts
--KR Brandon James (Florida)
--WR Blair White (Michigan St)
--CB Thad Turner (Ohio St)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Houston Texans
--S Aaron Webster (Cincinnati)
--FB Isaiah Greenhouse (Northwestern St)
--FB Jack Corcoran (Rutgers)
--OL Kristian Matte (Concordia)
--QB Tyler Sheehan (Bowling Green)
--OL Adam Ulatoski (Texas)

Jacksonville Jaguars
--DE Aaron Morgan (ULM)
--CB Chris Hawkins (LSU)
--OT Kevin Haslam (Rutgers)
--TE Jason Harmon (Florida Atlantic)
--QB Trevor Harris (Edinboro)

Kansas City Chiefs
--WR Jeremy Horne (UMass)

Miami Dolphins
--DT Travis Ivey (Maryland)
--CB AJ Wallace (Penn St)
--DT Vince Oghobaase (Duke)
--DB Ross Weaver (Michigan St)

Minnesota Vikings
--QB Ryan Perriloux (Jacksonville St)
--WR Ray Small (Ohio State)
--WR Aaron Rhea (Stephen F. Austin)

New England Patriots
--DE Dane Fletcher (Montana St)

New Orleans Saints
--LB Jason Beauchamp (UNLV)
--OL Brandon Carter (Texas Tech)
--DE Junior Galette (Stillman)
--S Marcel Young (Jackson St)

New York Giants
--DE Ayanga Okpokowuruk (Duke)
--WR Duke Calhoun (Memphis)
--OL Jim Cordle (Ohio St)
--DT Nate Collins (Virginia)

New York Jets
--CB Donovan Warren (Michigan)
--OG Charlie Tanner (Texas)

Oakland Raiders
--WR Trent Guy (Louisville)
--FB Manase Tonga (BYU)
--LB Brashton Satele (Hawaii)
--DE Alex Daniels (Cincinnati)
--RG Alex Parsons (USC)

Philadelphia Eagles
--WR Blue Cooper (Tenn-Chattanooga)

Pittsburgh Steelers
--S DaMon Cromartie-Smith (UTEP)
--OT AJ Trump (Miami)
--DE Cordarrow Thompson (Virginia Tech)

San Diego Chargers
--WR Jeremy Williams (Tulane)
--OT Nic Richmond (TCU)
--DE/LB Brandon Lang (Troy)
--WR Marcel Thompson (Lindenwood)
--TE Richie Brockel (Boise State)
--LB Scott Wookey (Palomar CC)
--DE Jason Lamb (Baylor)
--OT Justin Jeffries (Kentucky)

San Francisco 49ers
--S Chris Maragos (Wisconsin)
--DB Patrick Stoudamire (Western Illinois)
--WR Jared Perry (Missouri)
--QB Jarrett Brown (West Virginia)
--KR Leroy Vann (FAMU)
--RB LeGarrette Blount (Oregon)

Seattle Seahawks
--DT Rob Rose (Ohio State)
--WR Quintin Hancock (Tennessee)
--OG Jeff Byers (USC)
--DT DeMarcus Granger (Oklahoma)
--DB Josh Pinkard (USC)

St. Louis Rams
--WR Brandon McRae (Mississippi St)
--LB Simoni Lawrence (Minnesota)
--RB Alex Henderson (Northern Arizona)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
--QB Jevan Snead (Ole Miss)
--LB Rico McCoy (Tennessee)
--OG Sergio Render (Virginia Tech)

Tennessee Titans
--DE Dane Fletcher (Montana State)
--RB Stafon Johnson (USC)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack.

Posted by: Risa_L | April 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

sorry Mo:

My take is that they might get a little playing time, but primarily they gonna be backups. To say they lied, I think is a bit overkill. To say they stretched the truth is probably closer to it.

Anyway always enjoy your takes, always have to read it all to get to the one point you trying to make,

HTTR

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | April 24, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Must feel sorry for your family...who may have the only blogger more retarded and stupid than perineum.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I loathe the term "franchise QB" - seriously, it's so overrated. Of the 32 teams in the NFL, only around half of them have what could be deemed as a "franchise QB."

And Jimmy flippin' Clausen has bust written all over him.

Posted by: Risa_L | April 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 10:58 PM

i hope to chr!st Cook and Capers can unseat Will Montgomery and Chad Rinehart.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

With a real blocking TE who can catch the ball, does that make either Davis or Cooley expendable for trade bait?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

From Wikipedia.Org

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 24, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse
Wiki is correct, but your interpretation is not. We used our three picks to trade for one pick, which we used to select JC. Therefore, the selection of JC cost us three picks. It is like saying I will give you 2 $5 bills and 1 $10 bill, and you give me a $20 bill, which I use to buy $20 of gas. The gas only cost me $20, not $40.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 24, 2010 11:07 PM

nah, this dude's here for Mike Sellers' job.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack.

Posted by: Risa_L | April 24, 2010 10:58 PM

Risa_L = Chia_Pet

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Ughhhh the way this organization treated Jason Campbell is soooooo deplorable. He deserved to go to a better team than Oakland, even though they will love him and treat him better than Synderatto.

I'm starting to lose my patience with this ungrateful organization. There are only 3 or 4 qbs that I'd start over Jason Campbell. The Redskins will regret this move.

Posted by: Risa_L | April 24, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Russell does not look like he will stick (appears to have lost starting job at Ohio State during his Sr. year) but Marques Slocum, formerly of Michigan/Eastern Arizona, looks pretty darn impressive. His measurables are 6'6" tall, 347lbs, 5.2 in the 40yd, 33 reps @ 225lbs, 7.7 in the three cone drill, 35 inch arms. Big time star in high school. Not clear why he left Michigan. In 2009 played semi-pro ball in Philadelphia. Apparently participated in the Temple U. pro day this year and was a head-turner.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 24, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Also rumored to have been signed:

Justin Brown - DE - Notre Dame
Joe Ganz, QB, Nebraska
Chris Bell, Norfolk State, WR 6'2" 211 (also returns kicks)
Abe Koroma, Western Illinois, DT 6'3" 317
Dennis Landolt, Penn State, OT/G 6'5" 306
Brandon Minor, Michigan, RB 6'0" 218
Tom Andorson - CB/S - Boise State

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Risa_L = Chia_Pet

Posted by: League-Source | April 24, 2010 11:12 PM | Report

LOL! Wow, a transvestite blogger, now that's disturbing. By the way, anybody know where Riley (Superintendent from Simpsons voice) SKINNNEEERRRRR!! went?

Posted by: ga8085 | April 24, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Info on Landolt from Penn State:

03/23/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: Penn State's pro day speaks for itself. A number of highly touted prospects worked out, and most of them posted outstanding numbers. The March 17 event was held indoors on FieldTurf in front of 25 team representatives. Both of the 40-yard dashes were run in the same direction, and some eye-opening times were recorded. Here is a look at the top players who participated: OT Dennis Landolt (6-4 5/8, 306) ran a 5.01 and 5.03 in the 40, had a 28 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 9-1 broad jump, a 4.46 short shuttle, a 7.49 three-cone drill and 24 bench press reps. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Posted by: manlius1 | April 24, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey scampbell1975, sorry to hear about your kid. Sounds like you've had one hell of a week. Good luck man.

Posted by: edvar | April 24, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks edvar. It seems to be slowly getting back to normal. At least until the moving starts.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Could someone please help me out:

We had 4 picks going into the draft. 1st, 4th, 6th, & 7th (maybe it was 1st, 4th, 5th and 7th).

We selected 6 players. RI reported that we traded our 5th for a 6th a 7th. That is only one net pick improvement.

I don't get it. I may not be a savant at math, but I know that 4 - 1 + 2 = 5 and 5 does not equal 6.

What happened?

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | April 24, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

is it me or has jason reid been lazy over the past couple days? no preview for round 4 in what we might do? once again he was almost the last to know about the campbell trade (ie mcnabb trade) I mean i know the guy has to sleep sometime but it seems I get more info from reading the comments than from what j reid writes. For example, the undrafted players who have signed. come on Reid you are like the fat albert for the post overpaid (not 100% sure) and taking too many minutes off. I just think a little more coverage would have been nice for such a big event

Posted by: davetoobs146 | April 25, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Could someone please help me out:

What happened?

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | April 24, 2010 11:59 PM |

We traded our early 7 for 2 later 7's.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

What happened?

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | April 24, 2010 11:59 PM

Not sure but i think we traded 1 7th for 2 lower 7th's.

Anyone else know for sure?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 25, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

CERTAINTY in an uncertain world:

TRENT WILLIAMS OT
PERRY RILEY OLB
DENNIS MORRIS TE
TERRENCE AUSTIN WR
ERIK COOK C
SELVISH CAPERS OT

Posted by: glawrence007

the only guy certain to make the active roster, barring injury, is WIlliams.

Riley should make teams, but the two OLinemen are longshots to even make the practice squad, Austin is very light and Morris is at an already crowded position.

I saw Logan Paulsen play some, he's injury prone, but a VERY good player when healthy...

Posted by: TheCork | April 25, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Again Scamp my thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

You type faster than me and prolly ur computer faster than mine, or i just getting old and didn't see your ans. lol

Later. Is the first game tomorrow?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 25, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

D MO, simply the best. Call me crazy, I see similarities with TO, in the way he plays. Tall, big, and fast, his video looks like a man playing the boys, he plays mean, Wow! Where did Shanahan finds him?

Posted by: abxinc | April 25, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Again Scamp my thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Later. Is the first game tomorrow?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | April 25, 2010 12:22 AM |

Thanks again, and it's always nice to have a statement backed up. Sometimes RI can be self fact checking. Night all...HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 25, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 7

For God's sake, Zeke, get an EDITOR!

No one wants to read 5000 words on the QB the team just traded.

Sorry for the tough love, but trim, baby, trim.

Posted by: TheCork | April 25, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck to you scamp.

Posted by: mack1 | April 25, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Sport Science did a piece on Selvish Capers. Check it out.

Posted by: TWISI | April 24, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: terrapin3

Gawd-awful piece but Selvish looks and sounds pretty cool.

What did we learn? That a pulling lineman can clobber an immobile 120 pound plastic mannikin every time.

Posted by: TheCork | April 25, 2010 12:40 AM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S Part 7

For God's sake, Zeke, get an EDITOR!

No one wants to read 5000 words on the QB the team just traded.

Sorry for the tough love, but trim, baby, trim.

Posted by: TheCork

Like you have anything better to do

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 25, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 24, 2010 9:34 PM

indeed. co-sign.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 24, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse
co-co-sign!

Posted by: frediefritz | April 24, 2010 9:58 PM |

Co-co-co-sign

Posted by: abxinc | April 25, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, the reaction to Campbell coming to Oakland is mostly positive. MIght be because of the QB that they're getting rid of. They're calling the QB about to leave town: JaCarcus.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 25, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

ZEEK--They were competitive in many of their games and with Jason they will win 9 or 10 games.

This trade reeks of Snyderatto and the Redskins will regret it.

Posted by: Risa_L | April 25, 2010 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | April 24, 2010 10:36 PM
=============
Dont know about that.. I think JC will be "even up" in skills with what the Raiders have now. He's not the best.. but he aint that bad.. He will probably Start.

JC HAS to be happy about one thing by going to Oakland..... He gets to hit the reset button on his infamous "new system" performance excuse..

Projected Quotes..
JC with Oakland in 2010..
"... this year will be all about learning a new system"

JC with Oakland in August 2011..
"...its time for me to step up as a leader of this team.. I feel much more comfortable now that I have a year behind me to get comfortable with a new system..."

January 2012, Oakland Head coach gets fired.. New Head coach.. new system.. And JC gets to start the "excuse mantra" all over again..

he is laughing all the way to the bank. godspeed..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 25, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

4 - 1 + 2 = 5......
Posted by: PriorKnowledge | April 24, 2010 11:59 PM |

4-1+2 is actually = 1. In math, you add before you subtract. To get the answer you
desired, your line should look like (4-1)+2=5.

Posted by: abxinc | April 25, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 25, 2010 1:07 AM
===========
I think JC Starts..and Skins should of received a starting OLine player in the deal (ironic as that would be). Not a friggn pick in 2012.
This one-sided bad trade could indicate Shanny was going to release JC before camp, otherwise.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 25, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Projected Quotes..
JC with Oakland in 2010..
"... this year will be all about learning a new system"

JC with Oakland in August 2011..

he is laughing all the way to the bank. godspeed..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Even for you this is a ridiculous statement. I guess that's why most of the commentators are saying the Raiders and Seahawks are winners this weekend. And yes, JC was a big part of it.

Good luck to him. They have a lot of young talent over there.

Posted by: dcwun | April 25, 2010 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Projected Quotes..
JC with Oakland in 2010..
"... this year will be all about learning a new system"

JC with Oakland in August 2011..

he is laughing all the way to the bank. godspeed..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 25, 2010 1:17 AM

Skins already have a GM that we are proud of, so change your name. What you need is more important, amazingly both of what you need is in your name; "Gumption", and "Medulla oblongata", none of which you have. You see, the lower half of your brain stem is missing, that is why you lack the ability to make sensible decisions. Your relentless effort to step on the weak is your legacy.

Posted by: abxinc | April 25, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

in other words, he thinks you're an as*hole.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 25, 2010 3:04 AM | Report abuse

So, Clayton is reporting the 4th for Campbell is conditional, and we ONLY get it if da raidahs make the playoffs or jc goes to the pro bowl! I guess he was really just released? WOW.

Posted by: stevek20147 | April 25, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Also rumored to have been signed:

Justin Brown - DE - Notre Dame
Joe Ganz, QB, Nebraska
Chris Bell, Norfolk State, WR 6'2" 211 (also returns kicks)
Abe Koroma, Western Illinois, DT 6'3" 317
Dennis Landolt, Penn State, OT/G 6'5" 306
Brandon Minor, Michigan, RB 6'0" 218
Tom Andorson - CB/S - Boise State

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse
Has anyone seen any confirmation on these rumors, or is it just conjecture?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 25, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen any confirmation on these rumors, or is it just conjecture?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 25, 2010 7:09 AM

This is Redskins Insider. This is the wrong forum for confirmation. Rumor 'r' us. Haynesworth to the Bears for Cutler. Book it.

Posted by: League-Source | April 25, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

desired, your line should look like (4-1)+2=5.

Posted by: abxinc | April 25, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Nope.

In the absence of parentheses, add and subtract left to right. You're thinking of multiplication and division, which do get priority over + and -.

Posted by: farstriker | April 25, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is gone and I say.. good riddence. But it is also sad that the best part of the draft was not who we got but who we got rid of. Williams is fine at LT (although hearing everyone say Okung was better doesn't make me feel confident) But after him a TE?? 2 more OL men end of the 7th round??? But biggest dissappointed was watching Clausen drop to the 2nd round and not being able to draft him because we traded that pick to a QB who has already played 11 years and has the injuries to prove it. Clausen could have been our franchise QB for the next 10 years.. we'll be lucky if McNabb lasts 2..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 26, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse