Jimmy Clausen to visit Washington Redskins beginning Friday

Former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen is scheduled to visit the Redskins beginning Friday, a league source confirmed Thursday.

Clausen is expected to meet with Coach Mike Shanahan, members of the coaching staff and other top Redskins officials during the two-day trip. The Redskins also have scheduled a private workout with the former Fighting Irish star on April 15 in South Bend, Ind.

After his trip to Ashburn this weekend, Clausen will travel to Cleveland to meet with the Browns. The Redskins hold the fourth overall pick in the April 22-24 draft and are believed to be highly interested in selecting a quarterback.

The Redskins have received many favorable scouting reports about Clausen from former and current team employees, league sources said. Clausen figures to be available when the Redskins make their first pick.

By Jason Reid  |  April 1, 2010; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth's $21 million option bonus to be paid today
Next: Sam Bradford, James Andrews speak of the Redskins and D.C.'s charms

Comments

Clausen @ #4 seems more and more likely. Unless of course he isn't.

Posted by: skinswest | April 1, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

LH -

I've already said Clausen is growing on me.....

But so is McCoy. BRadford's stock to me is going down.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh and FIRST and second

Posted by: skinswest | April 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

LH -

I've already said Clausen is growing on me.....

But so is McCoy. BRadford's stock to me is going down.......

Posted by: 4thFloor

And how long you think he either of them will last behind this line? I for one say hell now to Clausen. He has bust written all over him.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

One more thing. This bs about him improving every year. Who can't playing Army, Air Force, and Navy? When was the last time any of those teams were big in college football? Oh I forgot he did lose to Navy twice.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The only way I want a Clausen on this team is if Russell Okung changes his name to Russ Clausen as an April Fool's prank...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Dallas would take McCoy if he's there.
McCoy says he won't last until Dallas picks. McCoy wants to go to Dallas.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Can you say "Rick Mirer"?

Posted by: DCV1 | April 1, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I for one say hell now to Clausen. He has bust written all over him.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:36 AM

Hell now!? Bust written all over him? You've seen his tattoos? Or are we talking manboobs with this guy?

I don't see either "bust" or "success." This guy's a mystery. He hasn't got as good a PR campaign as Bradford does. When your number 1 fan, Vinny Cerrato, was just fired for incompetence, and his hair apparent, Mel Kiper, is your number 2 fan, you've got an uphill struggle.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I predict that we will draft Clausen...at #37.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

We've done well with Texas QBs before....

@JM220 - Don't tell me you are still in JC's camp?

1st, 2nd, and 4th round OLine? I can't see it......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The ever-skeptical Florio kinda has a point here:

'Skins taking closer look at Jimmy Clausen
Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2010 11:28 AM ET
It previously was reported that the Redskins will conduct a private workout with quarterback Jimmy Clausen in South Bend.

The Redskins also will be bringing Clausen to town for a meeting with team officials, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Clausen is expected to meet with coach Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan is expected to attend the private workout.

So this means that the Redskins are interested in taking Clausen with the fourth pick in the draft? Maybe, and maybe not. As one league source has pointed out, it's entirely possibly that the Redskins are trying to coax someone into trading up for Clausen -- and that Shanahan is using Schefter, who wrote a book with Shanahan, to get the word out.

As we've previously acknowledged, it's not a slap at Schefter; he's simply doing his job. Besides, the Schefter-Shanahan connection is a potential conflict of interest that is available to the audience. We raised last night the problem of the conflicts of interest that aren't generally known.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

4th I am not as in JC camp as I was before. However, I believe no one will be successful behind this awful line we have. If we go QB first two rounds it will be no different than when Vinny and Dan was in charge. Ignore the line and go after the fake gold.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 11:12 AM

I liked him as college QB but he played primarily out of the shotgun. Plus, he was also injured late last season. I don't like him for the Skins.

@4th, I was reading something that said Bradford's pro-day was very controlled and he didn't do anything that required much movement. I don't like him at 4 and definitely don't like him at 1 with what it would take to get there. I think Clausen's their guy. I really do.

@Beantown The Skins can't fix everything this year. They can go o-line at 37 and get someone who can play right now. They can go o-line in the 4th. Clausen doesn't have to start this year. Let JC and Rex take the lumps while he gets groomed like Brady and in year two he's ready to go behind a revamped line, including the first round T/G you get next year.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I for one say hell now to Clausen. He has bust written all over him.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:36 AM
===============
brady quinn written all over him.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I like Dan Lefevour in the second round, and Okung with #4

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | April 1, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

..."former and current team employees"....

Aren't we talking about just one guy here.

Posted by: Predator48 | April 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 1, 2010 11:43 AM

If the Skins don't take him, Buffalo is going to take him at #7.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

RE: Jimmy Clausen

"I don't see either "bust" or "success." This guy's a mystery."

And to draft him high means you like a good mystery.

I don't.

I prefer to go with what I know.

And if Clausen had somehow lead Notre Dame to some middlin' measure of greatness, I'd say he was a winner who led a weak cast.

But he didn't (and I believe Golden Tate is the guy you want from ND).

And seeing how there's no mystery to either Colt McCoy or Dan LeFevour in round 2, I'd rather take my tackle at #4, and next new quarterback at #37.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

brady quinn written all over him.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM |

Co sign!

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

1st of all I'm NOT a Redskin fan but if I were Jason Campbell I couldn't wait to get the hell out of this town. The Skins organization treat him like a low life scum of the earth. I hope he excels next year when he's not in a Skins uniform.

Posted by: cevans1019 | April 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

man forget it I hope they draft Clausen to get all the drama over with I cant take it anymore. Get him ship JC#17 out of town so we can continue to be the league leaders in the laughingstock department of the NFL.

Posted by: hammer4 | April 1, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

with this o-line, the only way that drafting Pickle, or any QB makes sense to me, is by sitting him for the 2010 season and throwing QBs out there that you fully expect to end on IR

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 1, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"If the Skins don't take him, Buffalo is going to take him at #7."

Is it me or are the bills always drafting the next Jim Kelly?

Two teams could use some veteran leadership under center:

bills

panthers

We keep saying there might be a draft day trade.

You have to wonder if either of these teams would take J Campbell, and deliver back a pick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Clausen is overrated and will be worse than Quinn.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cevans1019

They say you don't know what you have until it is gone. Once JC is gone and Clausen or Teelow show how much of a bust they are. I am sure the same one bithcing about JC and get a new QB instead fo fixing a line. Will be saying how stupid the front office is and how things will never change. Not saying anything about how they were jumping up and down to take either of those sorry QB's

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

LT at #4
RT at #37

Anything else is lunacy.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

This whole talk about the Redskins taking a closer look at Clausen, is nothing but Shanahan/Schefter APRILS FOOLS DAY joke on the whole league....Hell they even got good ol Vinny C talking Clausen up(or down seeing as though nobody gives a damn who Vinny likes). BA/MS close your eyes and repeat after me, OKUNG,OKUNG,OKUNG. BA will not go into this season without a starting caliber LT. If not Okung they may go Clausen,Berry,or ?? with the 4th overall and go after Jared Gaither with that 37th overall.

Posted by: robbkels | April 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

J.C. is good as gone.

Posted by: hammer4 | April 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

4th, same here…the more I hear on Clausen the more I seem to think he could do well in the pros. Searched out some of my friends at work who are huge ND fans and seem to think he was a very good player on a so-so team, he can make “all the throws”; even the deep passes which Campbell can’t make despite being a guy who can “make all of the throws” as well. Don’t get me wrong, I still want them to go OL all the way, but if they take Clausen, I will withhold my judgment until I see him in the pre-season…. Of course I just about always talk myself into liking whoever they end up picking anyway…,.I wanted oline last year but Orakpo looks like a pretty good pick thus far.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 1, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss the game or games that JC didn't start last year because he was injured or placed on IR as a result of playing behind the Skins o-line? Yes, he took hits but he wasn't the most hit QB in the NFL last year and some of those hits could have been avoid if he released the ball quicker.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cevans1019

You are so on target!

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cevans1019 | April 1, 2010 11:52 AM

Philly treats McNabb worst. But he was able to compartmentalize the situation and succed despite of the fans.

We were all (most atleast) behind JC until last year. And more hopped off during the season. I hopped off in the preseason last year.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 1, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I view Clausen like a Devin Thomas. He flashed the one year before the draft.
D. Thomas is still a work in progress and at this point may never be good receiver. Same thing can be said about Clausen. He had his best year last year and may never develop into a good QB.
Big risk/big reward w/ the 4th pick in the 1st? Maybe. Put me down for O-line help first.
And I’m good with JC…Give him a O-line.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 1, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

cevans, Lisa, a slight edit:

"The Skins organization and a sizable portion of the Skins' fan base treat him like a lowlife scum of the earth."

Yes, it would be a tremendous relief for everyone if JC were traded, but until it happens I steadfastly maintain he's our best option at QB for 2010. And I wouldn't welcome any of these potential first- or second-round QBs with open arms. If that's the route Shanahan wants to take, okay, but I'm not going to be happy about it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 1, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

And the book is not closed on Brady Quinn. Last year was his first as a starter for a bad team. Compare him and JC against the Lions last year.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Interestingly enough, this was discussed on NFL Total Access last night (although not about the Redskins and JC). Can't remember which team they were talking about as I was channel surfing but the consensus was "the team should draft O linemen who will allow the QB to take his time."

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cevans1019

You are so on target!

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:01 PM

$3+ million a year = "low life scum of the earth"?

Where can I sign up for this "abuse"?

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will rave after the Clausen visit.
FO is hoping Buffalo or Cleveland will want to trade up to get Clausen.
Then Skins move down a few spots and take the best OT available.

Plus pick up two other picks

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 1, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I predict JC will have the same caliber of illustrious post-Redskins career as many predicted for Patrick Ramsey, who similarly "never got a fair chance" from the team/coaches.

Posted by: mikesheckels36 | April 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Here we go with the "poor Jason Campbell" posts...

Are his "wittle feely-weelies" hurt?

New coach has the right to draft HIS guy!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:09 PM

Sort of like an ADA accommodation for a dyslexic test taker?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

can't even consider taking him now that Cerrato has endorsed him

Posted by: jknobla | April 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Did JC have time last year..?

(and no, its not the infamous casserly youtube video)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking at this as Skins trying to seem like they're interested in Clausen (and QBs in general) in the hopes they can get Buffalo to trade up for him and get us some extra picks. We're going to bring in a bunch of guys. Some of them will be players we already have in mind. Some will be well rated players that we should check out (like Berry and Suh) because they're that talented. Some are reaches we think might wow us. And some are dudes we want someone else to bite on. You at least gotta know what you're selling.

Until shown otherwise, I'm going to assume this team is being run by professionals. Looking at workouts isn't going to mean much to us other than hyperventilating every couple of days until the draft. There's just so much information they keep hidden (unless you're Vinny). There'll be a bunch of workouts. Doesn't mean all of those players are people we'd draft at #4.

However, drafting Clausen at #4 would force me to question the sagacity of our decision makers.

Posted by: manifested | April 1, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"learned, exactly how long do you think Collins would have lasted behind that line...or Brennan? if he'd started last season, Todd would have been out of the league and in a wheelchair by October & Brennan's mouth would still be wired shut. Sure, Big Ben undoubtedly took more hits than JC, but he's always pushed his o-line's abilities to the breaking point.
& agreed, JC could have avoided some of those hits by spiking the ball as he came out from under center......or throwing mor picks."

....or he could have simply thrown more touchdowns, lead his team to more wins and into the playoffs, like Aaron Rodgers did behind an equally bad if not worse o-line last year.

Posted by: mikesheckels36 | April 1, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

With the team and particularly the offense having such a lack of discipline last year, does it not stand to reason that Mike and Kyle Shanahan will run a much more disciplined ship?

Thus if we can draft two OL in the first two rounds who are talented, does it not stand to reason that JC will have a better year than last year?

I mean that OL last year may have been the absolute worst in the NFL!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | April 1, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Did JC have time last year..?

(and no, its not the infamous casserly youtube video)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 12:13 PM
======
just looked at the video again.. I would say half of those INTs were forced by a cra-p OLine.. The other half..bad decisions by JC.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I would be more than happy to draft Okung in the 1st, and McCoy or Lefevour in the second (RT in the 2nd after a LT in the 1st I'm leery on...I don't like having both tackles from the same draft.) However, I think detroit may take Okung before we get the chance. If that happens then what do all the Order of Okung Backers want us to do? Moan and Cry? LOL

Posted by: Veretax | April 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I'm a Jason Campbell fan and certainly hope he does not leave. But I do think he has been treated atrociously by this organization.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok quick question anybody remember's the Broncos record the next couple of seasons after Elway called it quits? Now if you do remember who that QB was? Alright so people are saying in Shanny's QB friendly offense that Campbell will not be better than Brain Griese or Bubby Brister (and yes Brister did start a few games and won some when Griese went down). With a healthy and slimmer CP, and Rededicated LJ behind a solid but not great O-Line, JC17 will produce and then decide to haul ass outta of Washington next year and sign a nice contract and emerge as an star(not superstar kind of like Matt Hasslebeck or Matt Schaub) QB with another team.

Posted by: robbkels | April 1, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 12:25 PM |

Get off it already getting paid Millions to play football is being treated badly. Should they hold his little hand everyday and tell him how great he is.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 11:12 AM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 1, 2010 11:36 AM

LH thanks. Not sold on the QB @ #4 route, as I don't see a starting caliber LT being there @ #37. At McCoy's pro day, people like Mayock said McCoy's footwork was very good which suggests that he'll be fine under center. I'd rather go down that road in the second round and get an elite LT @ #4.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Look at our other first round qb selections. Heath Shuler fiasco says enough.

Posted by: bert3 | April 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Look at our other first round qb selections. Heath Shuler fiasco says enough.

Posted by: bert3 | April 1, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

beepers

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Shecky,

i'd gladly trade the Skins O-line for GB's even up.

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 1, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Can you say "Rick Mirer"?

Posted by: DCV1 | April 1, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------
To suggest that because Jimmy Clausen will be a bust on the basis that he went to the same school as Rick Mirer or Brady quinn is total ignorance.

To say that jimmy Clausen will be a bust because some so-called TV gurus so so is absurd.

This kid can play and is perfect for the NFL and Mike/Kyle.

This is a done deal. They don't want Bradford or Tebow.

It's time for Skins fans to deal with it and love you're team.

The only thing we need to intelligently discuss is how and where do we get a LT, either for the future or for the right now

Posted by: byrdinthesky | April 1, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Look at our other first round qb selections. Heath Shuler fiasco says enough.

Posted by: bert3 | April 1, 2010 12:33 PM
===============
have the Skins ever had a 1st Round QB (selected by the Skins) make the Pro-Bowl?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares who we draft. Historically, we have been better in the late rounds anyways. A few first round gems, but many more from the second round up!

Posted by: mjames1 | April 1, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjames1 | April 1, 2010 12:47 PM
=====
nice diplomatic way to say..
Skins have always selected Bust QBs in the First Round.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 1, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Whether it's Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, even Tebow (and I hope it is not him) Jason Campbell has not done the job. We should go with a new QB. If Campbell failed under Joe Gibbs, who was a master at schooling unheralded quarterbacks (Stan Humphries, Mark Rypien, an aging Doug Williams, and so on) he will not make it under Shanahan. Campbell is not starter material but can make for a good back-up.

Posted by: wbonora | April 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

First ..Who cares about Clausen this hype is ridiculous

Clausen is an over rated bum he does not possess the skill level to be chosen number 4 , he is not better than Safford or Sanchez...He is not a franchise quarterback in any sense of the word..
If Okung is gone and Suh and Clausen are on the board the Skins would be wise to take Suh....Clausen is overrated just like Notre Dame

Posted by: BeatDontStop | April 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If Shanny and Allen grade Clausen worthy of the No. 4 pick, then I'm all in - hook, line & sinker.

In Shanny I Trust

Posted by: shanks1 | April 1, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, heres what i think we should do.. We try to trade Jason Campbell to the rams for their number 1 pick.. itd make sense for them and us.. they could take campbell and know what to expect rather than risking bradford and his shoulder..then we cut bartel and draft clausen and have jimmy clausen, colt brennan, and rex grossman battle for the starting spot then we can trade our second round pick for a lineman OR draft a lineman in the second round.. perfect plan i hope shannahan reads this!! :) hail redskins!

Posted by: iLivestrongGoSkins | April 1, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikesheckels36
_____
Your right that Campbell will end up on a bench somewhere but your wrong in Campbell never got a fair chance. Gibbs declared Ramsey his starter and in the first half of the FIRST GAME after leading the Skins down to the goal line vs Chicago.. he was clotheslined (can't believe no penality was called). Gibbs put Brunell in and that was the end of Ramsey's "chance". Campbell got one year starting under Gibbs and 2 years under Zorn to prove himself... Campbell got his chance.. he just didn't do anything with it. Campbell needs to go.. DRAFT CLAUSEN!!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | April 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

First ..Who cares about Clausen this hype is ridiculous

Posted by: BeatDontStop | April 1, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Put Clausen's talent in Northern Illinois or East Tennessee and you have a nice second- to third-round QB, maybe sneaking into the bottom of the first round.
He's not a savior-grade quarterback and that's what you spend the No. 4 pick on.
Trade down, draft three times by No. 37 and take an admitted longshot for QB in the second or third round ... because w/ very few exceptions, all college QBs are longshots to succeed in the NFL.

Posted by: Reditor | April 1, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Rodgers also had DD, GJ, and JJ to throw to, any of which are far better than any receiver on the Skins. He could trust those guys to fight for the ball even if they couldn't catch it to protect the ball. Campbell can't count on Moss catching it if there's nobody around for 20 yards.

Posted by: withoutanet | April 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Taking Clausen at 4 makes no sense, and neither does trading down. You've got to trade up, but not in the way everyone is thinking. All right, so if the Rams take Bradford, you get either Suh, Okung, or McCoy at 4. All 3 of these are projected as high as 2 in many mock drafts, with McCoy and Suh being rated as the number 1 prospect by many people (and Okung being rated as the best L tackle of the past 5 years). This is a no freaking brainer (which is why the skins will blow it)- take whoever the heck falls to 4. They are pretty much guaranteed to be a perenial probowler and anchor for your O or D for years to come. If you want Clausen then heres what you do- wait for him to fall, and trade up your other picks to get him. I'd rather have a guaranteed star like Okung or Suh (McCoy is a maybe in my book) AND Clausen, and end up with nothing else from this draft, then to overreach and overpay for Clausen at 4, then he ends up a bust and we come out of this draft with no great talent, or to trade down from 4 and end up with no guaranteed studs and no Clausen/ real QB of the future. Take the best available at 4, and then let the draft work itself out. If Clausen falls and you can make a deal then great. If not then it was probably a sign from the football gods. But either way no QB is going to be successful without a line, and it's gonna take a few years for a lineman (offensive or defensive) to learn the system, so you need him BEFORE you put your QB on the field- not after (or even at the same time).

Posted by: jmadams | April 1, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

First and foremost, I want OL help, at least 2 and maybe 3 picks in this draft. having said that I think we let Shanny make his pick even if it is a QB, and even if it is Clausen. He wouldn't be my choice at #4 but you have to figure he's been able to put together good lines without using top picks (save for Clady who is a stud)and he can find stud RB's throughout the draft.....we need to be concerned about Shanny picking D lineman as his history there (and with free agents is less than stellar).
You have to believe Allen/Shanny have a better grasp of what they are doing than Cerratblow did, have a hard time believing they'd not do a strong job in this draft considering what Vaginy Yourassblow did over his career.
Let's see how this plays out....I think they have a few surprises in store for draft day(s).

Posted by: DESkinzFan1 | April 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

We don't have a measurement for how big a disaster this would be. Epic.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | April 1, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I loved that last line: "Clausen figures to be available when the Redskins make their first pick." Tchya, ya think?!?

Clausen should be a late-first-round pick at best. Only a dysfunctional organization like the Redskins would even consider him at #4. If we pick Clausen then, I think we should send Michael Jordan out to announce the pick.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | April 1, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I can roll with a Clausen pick at #4. I can also deal with grabbing Okung as well with that pick, or trading down. I trust Allen and Shanahan to exercise caution and restraint, and select the player(s) that make the most sense in the long term. If Shanny feels this guy is a potential franchise QB for the next 10 yrs, then go get him. We hopefully won't have a pick this high in a long time. Else, beef up the line, and get your franchise QB some other year. One thing is certain...Soup Campbell is not the answer. I admire his stoic nature and professionalism, and can deal with him for another year. But for the long term, he is not the answer.

Posted by: BugEyedVinnie | April 1, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone actually watch all of Clausen's games last year? Every game Tate would make 2-4 crazy catches. When he was healthy Floyd would make at least one. You take away the massive yards Clausen had from Tate's awesomeness and he wouldn't even be in the first round discussion.

I am not saying he can't throw. Clausen is a good QB. He made those bomb throws to Tate and he hit the corner of the endzone throw almost at will, but he isn't a top five selection. Replace Tate with an average receiver and i defy you to watch all of ND's games and still think Clausen is any sort of answer at #4.

Posted by: Cytree | April 2, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

Jason, so long sucker. I'm going to miss you. Not!!!!

Posted by: theBozyn1 | April 2, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Here's the thing many seem to want to draft Okung at 4 and go for a QB in the 2nd round or even next year.. But who knows if Okung is there at 4. If he's as good as everyone says the Lions could draft him at #2.. don't they need to upgrade LT also??? Meanwhile who knows what QB is available in 2nd round or will be there next year?? If Shanahan believes Clausen can be a franchise QB he has to draft him. For LT the Ravens seem ready to trade Gaither for a second round pick.. Getting Clausen and Gaither solves QB and LT.. and we don't have to worry what Detroit does...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I like Clausen with nuber 4 The only reason he lost to Navy is because he had less O-line around him than us. And there's a million things we can do at )-line, get Flozell Adams' Get Quentin gaither, or even move Artis Hicks to left. Clausen is the Franchise we can't pass him up here

Posted by: greg_morton | April 3, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Did i miss a game last year because it seems like our QB's suck. JC threw a ton of interceptions, missed tons of open receivers, and made poor decisions. Its seems like the most impressive TD last year was thrown by our punter. QB is our only option at #4 don't be dumb enogh to pass it up

Posted by: greg_morton | April 3, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse