Kiper discusses Redskins' needs in NFL Draft

Sunday not only marked the final day of Mike Shanahan's first minicamp, but it was also the sole day of media access at Redskins Park for the weekend. So if you missed it, we had a ton of stuff Sunday, including posts on Clinton Portis, LaRon Landry, Albert Haynesworth, the offensive line, Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan, Rocky McIntosh], and Jim Haslett.

As for Monday, let's get the day rolling with a bit more from Mel Kiper. For a profile this morning, Kiper, who's preparing for his 28th draft as an ESPN analyst. agreed to a series of video bits for the Post, which we'll bring you all week. Today he discusses the Redskins' biggest draft needs.

It will be another busy day here on the blog. Redskins' General Manager Bruce Allen is scheduled to meet with reporters later Monday. With the team's first minicamp complete, we can all expect a lot of draft chatter all week.

By Rick Maese  |  April 19, 2010; 6:19 AM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Landry puts trade rumors behind him, prepares for new defense
Next: Who will relay Redskins' first-round pick in NFL Draft? Chris Samuels

Comments

FIRST things FIRST...get a LT!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Yup...What B26 said.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 19, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

"Kiper discusses Redskins' needs in NFL Draft"

Kiper, like the coke snorting media skanks that populate the headlines of the entertainment industry, is further proof that you can get famous for talking loud and saying nothing.

Celebrity used to be the outcome of demonstrated talent.

But since no one tracks Kiper's track record, he is his own authority, and thus, famous for being who he is:

An unremarkable nobody with big hair.

His skill is talking loud.

And saying nothing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Agreed Moe...the only draft "expert" I trust is Mike Mayock. Both guys on ESPN are completely worthless, and I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about boy blunder Todd McShay. So if it ain't on NFLN's "Path to the Draft" coming from the mouth of Mike Mayock, I ain't buyin' it.

If you get a chance on draft day, try and flip between the NFLN coverage and ESPN's coverage...it's like night and day. Mayock correctly calls out the picks as they happen while Kiper explains away the reasons he was wrong. It's actually pretty funny.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

He may be a tool but I think he's pretty dead on on this one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 19, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

scamp, it's hard to be wrong about the Redskins at #4...I mean, anyone who saw even one game of ours last year would know that O-line is a desperate need here. That's why I thought he was nuckin' futs when he kept saying we were taking Clausen at #4.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

true, I was thinking the same thing

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 19, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind Kiper so much. His work ethic is sick, he was certainly a visionary as far as the evolution of the draft and there are quotes from NFL FO's that they subscribe to his service and crosscheck their boards with his. So while I agree he's more entertainer than anything, he has to have at least SOME credibility with people who know what they are doing.

Posted by: themantoyou | April 19, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"Mayock correctly calls out the picks as they happen while Kiper explains away the reasons he was wrong. It's actually pretty funny."

What I like about Mayock is that he views a draft pick according to how a kid might fit into a team's scheme: and that's how a coach sees them.

I listen to C Davis and M Mayock for draft info.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

An unremarkable nobody with big hair.

His skill is talking loud.

And saying nothing.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Moe bringing the ruckus first thing on a Monday morning.I likes!

Posted by: smittdiddy | April 19, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Quinten Richardson is a punk.

Calling sox hitters punch and judy, is insulting to both punch, and to judy.

Thats all.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hcic55 | April 19, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

listen to gil brandt on sirius nfl radio, this guy knows everything about everyone, and apparently got 99 of the first 100 picks right in a draft a year or so ago

Posted by: hcic55 | April 19, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"Calling sox hitters punch and judy, is insulting to both punch, and to judy."

I got two names for Theo:

Gary Sheffield

Jermaine Dye

Theo should get one of these guys signed, send them to the minor league complex up in Portland, and hope the Yanks and Rays slow down at some point in May.

He could make roster space by releasing Lowell, and platooning them with Ortiz.

I still don't get how the sawx avoided re-signing Damon and didn't chase Matsui when it was obvious the Yanks were done with them.

Oh well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I listen to C Davis and M Mayock for draft info.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 7:47 AM

Novel idea, huh? Instead of the Kiper way of puffing up guys who happen to be represented by his agent buddies.

Stuff like that is the reason why ESPN gets an epic fail for everything except PTI...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Since Kyle Shanahan said he didn't want an OT with the first pick, the only things I could think of them doing now is trading down, getting Eric Berry, or... dare I say it... draft clausen.

Posted by: ddrcoaster | April 19, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Like a dull knife, he just ain't cuttin'

Mel Kyper

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't this the guy that said the colts will never be a good team because they didn't draft trent dilfer.."

He also mocked M Mayock for proclaiming that D Cutler was better than M Leinhart and V Young.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

He could make roster space by releasing Ortiz, and platooning them with Lowell.

Fixed it for ya...I mean, have you seen Ortiz this year?? Guys best suited at this time for slow pitch softball...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hcic55 | April 19, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

-----------------

Yes but his point was not so much how great Dilfer (he of the 14 year career) was, but that the Colts needed a QB at the time and instead drafted Trev Alberts (he of 3 year career).

Posted by: themantoyou | April 19, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ddrcoaster | April 19, 2010 8:14 AM |

He never said that first of all.

If you believe anything a coach says before the draft, then we can talk about some great swamp land I have for sale.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 19, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Like a dull knife, he just ain't cuttin'"

I see you know your James Brown.

The Godfather is a philosopher for people who like to dance with a drink in their hand, and a woman shakin' in front of them.

My favorite Brown line is:

"Sometimes you gota to use whatcha got to git whatcha want..."

And of course, there's:

"Like a dull knife, youjust ain't cuttin'"

"You just talkin' loud, and ain't sayin' nothin'"

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Being as Heyer was our LT this past weekend at the workouts, I would imagine that we will be drafting a LT. Hicks can hold down the RT spot. A friend of mine said T. Williams would be a better fit for us than Okung. Is this true? I would go Okung at 4.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 19, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I toured w/ his neighbor, Clarence Reid. lol. Also a philosopher, of sorts... you may know him as "Blowfly"!

Another friend was JB's on tour horn leader there at the end... not exactly Maceo.. hehe. But a really good alto-ist.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

catching up, so LL is 230 and wants to be 240?....um..yeah cuz that will help stop him from biting on double moves?? Heck, if thats all that it took, he and Rogers should have been playing with rocks in their pockets...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Come on Moe,"I dont know karate,but I know karazayy!"Thats gotta be in your top 10 JB lines for sure.

Posted by: smittdiddy | April 19, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1 he moved up in weight to take the pounding of playing strong saftey which he should have been playing all along. That is a lot of of weight it will be interesting how he plays with the extra pounds.

Posted by: jm220 | April 19, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | April 19, 2010 8:24 AM

While I wouldn't debate that Hicks is an upgrade over Heyer, I wouldn't want Hicks as my starter at RT. They need to address BOTH tackle spots, as Hicks is best served as a reserve swingman. He's a jack of all trades on the O-line and a master of none...no thanks to him as a starter at ANY spot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 19, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

==================

Really? I've been waiting for someone to put some swamp land on the market for ages. Now I can finally build my shrek house, thanks flounder!

Posted by: ddrcoaster | April 19, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I just have this sinking feeling that they are going to draft either Eric Berry or Taylor Mays at #4. After hearing what Shan Jr. said, I just don't feel like they think O-Line is a "draft for need" position. I think they're going to draft a safety. Some may not like to hear that, but until I see tangible evidence (mainly wins and losses) that the situation has changed, I have a feeling that they're going to draft "sexy" and not for need.

Posted by: HawksPride | April 19, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:30 AM

I don't get it either...I mean, he's gotta be losing speed if he's gaining all this weight, even if it is muscle. Unless they're moving him to ILB, I just don't see the point...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

jm, thanks, didn't know about the switch, and agreed, 20/30 pounds is a LOT of weight that he's putting on....

brown, 1-Brazillion percent agreed, neither tackle position is anything but perilious. Both need to be addressed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

A Blowfly gem:

BootyBootyBooty
BootyBootyBooty
BootyBootyBooty
BootyBootyBooty
BootyBooty

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

LS
Sorry, I brought this forward from the last post.
You’re stating the obvious and ya won’t know until Thursday if it was smoke and mirrors or the real deal. Yes it’s nice to wish for this and that but bottom line, everyone in the league knows we need o-line help. I understand the need for deception but that’s all we have at this point (need). After the McNabb trade went down, did you really think we would take another QB with the first pick? No.
Before the trade we had some leverage because we had options with a first and second round pick. That was a good time for deception. We have one pick in two of the three days of draft. Whoopee.
Yes it’s nice to rid ourselves of past mismanagement and yes I do like the new regime but I still believe that our options are limited and predictable.
I can still voice my opinion for selecting a left tackle with our 1st pick so I’m taken’ the smokeless approach. Heyer at left tackle, would you feel comfortable with that going into the season? I may have just dropped in from outer space but I’m not a space cadet.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 19, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, even if they do draft a QB at #4, you can't say it isn't a need... maybe not a dire need, but McNabb is 4 yrs. tops, right?

And if they truly think they're going to be competative - and they aren't expecting to have such low draft pics going forward, you'd want to take advantage of the opportunity to take a very talented QB; If they believe he's got the stuff.

It's not what I want to see, but it is logical and reasonable...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah it's from 2001 but if you want to read someone who put Mel Kiper in his place, which at the time apparently was the toilet, this is a good critique of Mel's "draft guru" status.

All self proclaimed gurus should take note. Just sayin...

Posted by: will_ga | April 19, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

beans, please. Everyone knows that Kevin Garnett is psychotic loud mouth that when trash talking his opponent takes it personal.

I was glad to see KG get his ass tossed AND suspended... homeboy had that coming for too long.

It's hard to be an intimidating jackass when you're a shell of your former self, then again, I guess that's why he now has to resort to bush league tactics -- to mask his declining skills.

I suggest that him, Allen, and Pierce cherish 2007 'cause it's not EVER happening for that 'trio' again. But hey after all they did prove that you can but championships in the NBA.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 19, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

ds, quite the gem..thats genius...or...not worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Effective fash cleaning, gents...Never wanted to dominate or tear down the board (unlike that scampbell wiseguy)..Creation Beckons and I'll SEE YOU IN HELL!! Hail Skins..

Posted by: frak | April 19, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

HawksPride after reading dirty thirty comments about playing strong safety you might be right about Berry.

Posted by: jm220 | April 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

red, agreed, doesn't change the fact that q is a punk.....

buy a championship, is that what you meant to write?? sorry, that didn't happen, they took a calculated risk in getting older, while giving up draft picks, and young talented players, AL Jefferson...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

lmao!

That was prolly the only one I could post here. The rest are too dang raunchy.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

the moronic posts on this blog never cease to amaze me -- mel kiper knows more about football in his little finger than every one put together who ever posted on this blog --- jeez, here we have a bunch of idiots posing as "analysts"

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 19, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

@bestmick1:

Well, his hair is shaped like a helmet, so you've got us there....

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa, whoa Dik...are you saying that's NOT a helmet? That's Mel's actual HAIR? Wow...and here I thought he was dressing like Kazoo from The Flintstones all these years...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

regarding landry's "beefing up" to 230, on his way to 240 and playing LB:

it's all a smoke screen. given his coverage skills, maybe he's being groomed for nose tackle - which would "free up" haynesworth to "create havoc."

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 19, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

good weekend in sports. Skins are looking up and hope is springing in mini-camp. Nats still at .500 *but with a great game Saturday by their old man pitcher. Caps are back at 1-1. Wizards having their longest streak of not losing this season.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 19, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 19, 2010 8:54 AM |

All you have to do to attract attention on RI is have an opinion and to be successful. Then a bunch of us experts will explain why you never should have succeeded and we'll call you a d-bag: Mel Kiper, Peter King, Michael Wilbon, Tony Korneiser, Tim Tebow, theCork.

Okay, the last one was a trick -- he's not successful and he really is a d-bag. But he does have an opinion.

Posted by: League-Source | April 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know that 'Q' and Pierce have a rift that goes back a few years, but still, you know Pierce was doing his "acting" job over there... did it last year in the playoffs and the year before that as well. All Richardson was doing was reminding him about it.

And that's when KG had to show how much of a tough guy he is... KG is a chump, every time he's in one of these "scuffles" although he's the one that instigates the drama, he's always the one backing away with his hands up once he realizes that the dude he's bringing the drama to is ready to knock his ass out...

Used to be a big KG fan, but every since he got traded to Boston he's been acting like a self-entitled ass.

Must be something in the water up there...

(jokes, jokes)

Posted by: RedDMV | April 19, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"....mel kiper knows more about football in his little finger than every one put together who ever posted on this blog --- jeez, here we have a bunch of idiots posing as "analysts"...."

And you base this astute assessment on, let me guess: Mel is an authority because he says he is.

Well, how does that make him more able or certified than those of us who also watch tons 'o football?

I am great because I says I am, and if you doubt that, it's becuase you don't understand my greatness.

Mel Kiper is a media creature not unlike Paris Hilton.

The difference between them is what she does in her sex tape is something I'd rather not watch Mel perform.

And I don't care how good he is at it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

regarding landry's "beefing up" to 230, on his way to 240 and playing LB:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | April 19, 2010 9:00 AM

I had this discussion earlier in the year about how athletes are able to put 15-30 lbs in an offseason, and if you get a chance to see LL that added weight looks like all mass. My conversation was regarding Jarmon who I thought would be able to bulk up to play DE in a 3-4. From what I understand Jarmon is to move to OLB, which seems odd to me. Anyways has anyone heard anything regarding Jarmon's rehab.

Posted by: TWISI | April 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 9:10 AM |

I can't speak for him but I base this astute assessment not on anything Mel has said but on the stuff that I read posted up here. Not by you, of course, but by, well, the rest of us. Except for you and Brownwood.

Posted by: League-Source | April 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Twisi,
I am with you, why move Jarmon, he is already about the right size for DE in a 3-4, only needs 5 pounds or so (according to his profile on NFL.com)

Posted by: alex35332 | April 19, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 19, 2010 9:04 AM

That's where you're wrong...if Kiper is "successful" it's in that ESPN props him up as an authority on the draft, whereas league insiders (you know, actual "League Sources") consider him a joke.

Again...the only draft "expert" worth a sh*t is Mike Mayock. Dude studies film beyond what is considered healthy and gears his evaluations toward the team, not who his agent is.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

ESPN isn't in the business of providing the most accurate draft analysis. They are in the sports programming business...and they need to fill up hours and hours of programming about the draft and the players. From that point of view...Kiper provides exactly what they want. He keeps it interesting and can spout and spout and spout on draft day. Think Mayock could do that? (Maybe he could. I'm not familiar with all of his skills) From the standpoint of generating interest in their broadcast...Kiper's mistakes/shortcomings might actually keep the audience more interested. For example, most of us like to see Kiper proven wrong. That probably boosts the viewership a bit.

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 19, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse