Kiper on Redskins' quarterback situation and the draft

Because of the gamesmanship involved (i.e. lying) during draft week, no doubt some around the league heard Bruce Allen say Monday that quarterbacks are still in play for Washington and immediately removed the Redskins from the draft's quarterback sweepstakes.

Time will tell whether the Redskins are sincere in their interest for Oklahoma's Sam Bradford -- or if they have the ammunition to make a play, but they could very well take a shot. We'll be listening closely for more chatter the next couple days to see if a quarterback might really be in the Redskins' plans, and how exactly they might choose to pursue it.

What seems clear thus far: Most analysts agree that Bradford will be off the board at No. 1, and the Redskins should concentrate on taking a left tackle at No. 4. We told you that Mel Kiper Jr. recently discussed the Redskins at length, and here he is addressing the team's quarterback situation.

The take on Tebow

Mark Maske writes that there's still a division of opinion on Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

An optimist's opinion

In Dan Steinberg's D.C. SportsBog, Mike Williams says an offensive line can change for the better.

More rules?

Mike Shanahan has new rules for the Redskins (no double parking, for instance). The Redskins Tailgate Zone asks what other rules should be adopted. Matt "Bobby" McFarland likes the idea of eliminating celebrations after routine tackles.

By Rick Maese  |  April 20, 2010; 6:28 AM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign Marques Hagans, Roydell Williams and Ryan Torain
Next: When Mike Shanahan drafted Jay Cutler ...

Comments

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Skins

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say it's about time to cut out celebrations after a tackle. Maybe if you really plant the ball carrier to force a punt, but save your energy to do your job. If you are on D, it's your job to tackle.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 20, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg has an interesting column today on Shanahan's rules and how they're affecting the team. He actually names some of the players who made the quotes. Not a single "team source" or "one player." I don't think Steinberg will last long on the WaPo with this way of writing.

He even had a quote from the head coach!

The AP's Joseph White asked if this wasn't a contradiction, talking about trust while also keeping a list of players who break various rules. "Just the opposite," Shanahan said. "Just the opposite. What you have to do as a head football coach is you have to make people accountable. That's my job. It's also their job to understand what it takes to help this organization be successful. And my job is to make sure that everyone's accountable to each other....The reason why you do have rules - and we don't have a lot of rules - is to make them, everybody, beat to the same drum. And if you don't, usually you're not very good."

One interesting twist though. What I pasted above is from the website and it names the reporter who asked the question. In the print edition of the paper they replaced his name with "a reporter asked."

Posted by: League-Source | April 20, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

The good news is we get the schedule release today and the draft on Thursday! Great week for football!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

5. Okung isn’t a franchise left tackle
Teams like Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung, but he’s not a nasty mauler with great upper body strength. And he’s not consistent. When teams describe him in relation to other offensive tackles, he always comes in a clear notch below the Cleveland Browns’ Joe Thomas(notes), and some think he won’t even be a left tackle in the NFL. Not exactly what you want to hear if you’re drafting in the top five and want a Pro Bowl anchor on the left side.

Said one personnel man, “Okung is the consummate pro and a good soul, but ultimately that guy would be nice around 15 through 19. When you’re talking about the single digits [with Okung], people are concerned about that.”

6. Williams is actually the most highly skilled tackle available
Like Okung, Trent Williams of Oklahoma is not overly nasty, either. But he is extremely athletic, and teams think he could sustain that even if he got into the 320-pound range. He’s got great balance, great feet, good arm length and has at times punished defenders with his hands. Essentially, he’s got a maximum amount of tools and ability to work with to become a true franchise left tackle.

Said an NFC source: “If you’re just looking at skill, and take away all the other stuff, he’s far beyond Okung. [Williams] has much more skill and athleticism. He’s definitely a left tackle and he could also play right.”

Posted by: Ejayraptor | April 20, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

"Wow...WaPo sure is trying to get some mileage out of that one Kiper interview..."

Cokeheads call it 'cutting it up to get more out of it.'

You put it on a mirror, and chop it with a razor about a billion times, and then triple the amount you have.

Or so it seems that's what they did with the Kiper interview.

(INSERT image of very alert and numb Moe with white powder around his nose, rolled up dolla bill in hand, watching Kiper blather on and on and on and on and on and on and....about what we already know.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow Moe...been watching "Goodfellas" on AMC much?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"...been watching "Goodfellas" on AMC much?"

Personal experience, son, and I'm not bragging about how I used to live before I discovered RI.

And 'Goodfellas' is better on dvd as the constant commercial interruptions on televisions really kill the flow of a great movie.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

brown, what time are they releasing the schedule?

Oh and F rated-R movies on TV.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 20, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"....[Williams] has much more skill and athleticism. He’s definitely a left tackle and he could also play right.”

And here is where you hope the advantage of Shanahan kicks in.

Let's say the lions don't draft Okung, and we are forced to choose between him and Williams.

Who do you pick?

You have to hope Shanallen sees something in one guy not apparent in the other.

Okung v. Williams: which is the one you want?

Me?: I try to trade down with the bills and take Williams at 9.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I read that thing about Okung and Williams earlier this morning on Yahoo. Man I am confused now, one minute they say Okung is a sure thing, now he's not a franchise LT. I sure hope they get it right.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 20, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"you have to make people accountable"

words to live by.....I'm gonna like this Shanahanabanana fella...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Red, I know that NFLN and ESPN are running "Schedule Release Specials" at 7 tonight, but I would bet that some of the highlight games will trickle out on PFT and a couple other places before that. I know last year a few teams had the schedule posted on their websites a few hours before the shows aired.

Moe, I'm not sure if I should congratulate you for overcoming such a bad habit or give you grief for doing so with the aid of RI...seems to me, RI would drive more people TOWARD drug addiction than helping overcome it, but to each his own. I'll offer the congrats since it seems like the right way to go.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

From Zack Nally at NFL Soup:

"The defensive line seemed to follow the offensive line’s script, piling up the injuries all the way through the season. Defensive end James Hall is slated for free agency and it’s unlikely he will return. With most, if not all, the defensive tackles expected to return next season, the only real need is at defensive end."

So, Fat Albert plus our four for their one - we get Bradford. Lots of whispers around...

Posted by: SonofNero | April 20, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | April 20, 2010 8:08 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it...seems to me that a number of GMs will talk a guy down in the draft to help ensure he's on the board when they pick. And it seems like Robinson is basing his whole Okung-smearing on the word of one GM. Considering I've also heard the argument that Okung is the "sure thing" pick at LT and Williams has both a higher level of potential AND a higher possibility to bust, it seems to me the assertion that Williams is the better player is far from set in stone.

I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ejayraptor

This personnel man is an obvious idiot. There's no way Okung could be the consummate pro....He's hasn't played professional football yet....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

... and besides, Mike Williams is the consummate pro; he eats pros every day!

Posted by: daggar | April 20, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

SonofNero, moving up to get a QB after trading two picks to get a QB would above and beyond insane. If Bradford falls to #4, then there's a tough decision to make...to go out of your way to get him is lunacy at its worst.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see this? Bruce Allen on record saying that the #4 pick is available to the highest bidder:

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I totally agree, brown. Just saying, though, there's lots of chatter about it this morning in the media. Prob all smokescreen bs, but still...

Posted by: SonofNero | April 20, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if that personnel man's initials are BA...

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 20, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

brownie

"...I'm not sure if I should congratulate you for overcoming such a bad habit or give you grief for doing so with the aid of RI..."

I'm joking, son.

Trust me, the only truly bad thing I've ever done is vote Republican.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

brown, why would you expect to see something like that here...haha

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

From the USATODAY story - "Allen said he's willing to discuss trading picks next year or to consider "trades that involve picks in 2017."

How many and what picks in 2017 = this year's 1st? I think that almost any team is willing to trade for the right price. I think BA is simply gauging what the market is for our pick.

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 20, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Mosley on ESPN.com floats a rumor that we'll open up the season at home against Dallas:

I sure hope not...that just reminds me of Rocket Ismail running untouched into the end zone in OT of the '99 season opener...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Mat Bowen on the Junkies said he sees the skins drafting an OT, playing it safe with his pick.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 20, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Trust me, the only truly bad thing I've ever done is vote Republican.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 8:34 AM

Personally, I'd rather do the fatal dose of coke. LOL

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't remember the exact numbers, however RO had very impressive bench press numbers where as TW had just over half the pumps of RO. Nasty????? I do not remember Chris Samuels being nasty but he carried that responsibility conisisently every year for his whole career. Get OK and we will be OK at that position for years. Go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Mosley on ESPN.com floats a rumor that we'll open up the season at home against Dallas.

Wouldn't the better opening be the Skins opening against the Eagles?

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 20, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 20, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 8:45 AM

Two things:

1) Switch to decaf.

2) When you say things like "TW had just over half the pumps of RO", expect to hear someone say "that's what she said". So...

That's what she said.

Boom. Roasted.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't the better opening be the Skins opening against the Eagles?

Posted by: amaranthpa | April 20, 2010 8:46 AM

Nope. Gotta save that for prime time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

New Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan says the team plans to keep all three veteran running backs—Willie Parker, Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis.

"Give them all the ball," Shanahan said. "Can’t do it at the same time, but when you have three backs—it’s very rare that you have just one back that the one back plays in all 16 games. So to have three backs, it’s going to make all three of them better and it’s a matter of time, but all three of them will help us."
More from Sporting News: NFL Team Reports: NFC West

Posted by: skinfanman | April 20, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't the better opening be the Skins opening against the Eagles?

Posted by: amaranthpa

I'd like to us open at the NY Giants...we've done it the last few years so we should open the new stadium. And McNabb is a Giant killer so we'd probably ruin their day

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

"Wouldn't the better opening be the Skins opening against the Eagles?"

I'd prefer a home game against the iggles late in the year in prime time.

To see McNabb stick a daggar in the heart of his old team at home late in the year on a cold night is just the kinda thing I'd like to see.

That and a home playoff game or two.

(Memba them??)

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Trust me, the only truly bad thing I've ever done is vote Republican.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 8:34 AM

Personally, I'd rather do the fatal dose of coke. LOL

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Talking coke before 9:00 AM.. That coffee must have you tweaking.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 20, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26 -

1. Decaf ain't happening. I drink the real stuff all day. Black, Strong and almost too hot. (please no race ref.)

2. Horizontally ROK is stronger and lasts longer. This should translate to career.

3. She was right

4. Boom, Boom Dark Rosted Maxwell House!!

5. Go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Boom, Boom Dark Roasted Maxwell House!!"

Starbuck's Morning Blend, whole bean (my machine grinds it on a timer and then brews it while I'm in the shower): lukewarm, black, and strong--it's the stuff my posts are made of.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 20, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Haha, well played changer. Well played indeed...

Hey Greg, I think we're finally getting a new episode of The Office this week...too bad it's opposite the draft. God bless DVR...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 20, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Fantasy football??
Here is a fantasy trade scenario.

The Raiders have strong needs at QB, DT, DE, and S/CB. Skins should offer the following: Campbell, Haynesworth, Carter and Landry, in exchange for Oakland's 1st and 2nd round pick (8th and 39th respectfully). Skins should draft as follows: #4 Okung, #8 E.Berry if available (if not then Iupati OG), #39 (if we get Berry @ #8) Jon Asamoah OG (if we get Iupati @ #8) then either Nate Allen S or Chad Jones S. Note: Oakland has Langston Walker OT 6'8" 366lbs (he is servicable for 2 more years). We can add depth at OLine in later rounds. If Suh drops to #4 we must take him and pick up either Okung, Bulaga, Williams or Davis for the OLine. If this happens we will win the East and make some noise in the playoffs for years to come.

From east coast Florida. I just heard the sonic boom from the space shuttle. It must the approval from on high. It could be true. IT COOULD HAPPEN. Go Skins!!!!

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

brown, yup, however the only way that you'll miss it, is if the Skins trade back. 10 minutes per pick, starting at 7:30, should be ok at 9 when the office starts....I'm hoping to miss most of it, because the skins have dropped back two or three times, and recouped most of their picks.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

what are you watching live the draft or the office...i work nights so i'll watch the draft at the office...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the sentiment that moving up in the draft to take Bradford is a bad idea. First of all, if the Rams are not convinced that Bradford is worth taking at 1, then let them take someone else, and
Shanallahan will have all kinds of options at 4. This is precisely why they've been expressing interest in taking a QB -- so that the Bills, Seahawks, et al, will trade up. This is the most attractive option b/c the Skins can still get the LT they want and they can stockpile some picks.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | April 20, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

changer, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

If you're a top recruit in the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big Ten or PAC-10 you are playing "professional football" already.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 20, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

Bullsh!t....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
-----------
Better than most weeks last fall.

Plus, there's the Ben Roth suspension announcement.

Posted by: closer44 | April 20, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1 -

Agreed...just dayreaming with levity.

Go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whales and dolphins...hmmmmmmmm
How about Miami and AH Tuna and whale??

Posted by: changer2 | April 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Texas Ranger: [after Ricky asks him about his day] Well, the teacher asked me what was the capitol of North Carolina. I said Washington D.C.
Cal: Bingo!
Ricky: Nice.
Texas Ranger: And she said 'No, you're wrong.' I said 'You got a lumpy butt!' She got mad at me and yelled at me, and I pissed in my pants. And I never did change my pee pants all day, I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee pants.
Cal: I wet my bed until I was 19. There's no shame in that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 20, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

To me the Redskin needs are LT and franchise QB... in that order. McNabb bought the Redskins two years.. one if he doesn't sign an extention. But the only way the Skins pick a QB at #4 is if they have another way to get a LT. Seems to me other than drafting Okung the Skins best option is getting Jerod Gaither from Baltimore. Now Balt wants a 2nd round pick which the Skins doen't have BUT would they trade him for Hanyesworth??? IF the Skins could work that and IF Shanahan thinks Clausen can be a franchise QB (Bradford will be gone).. Then it could make some sense drafting a QB with 4th pick.. but there are a lot of if's to be answered first...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

All signs point to Clausen at #4....just think about it!!!! All this talk about moving up and taking Bradford, sliding back to get more picks, staying and taking Okung!! Not much has been said about taking Clausen......very large smokescreen!!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | April 20, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Bullsh!t....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 20, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

You obviously have not played big time college sports, or been close to anyone who has. The amount of time and expectations that the coaches place on you is staggering, and you can absolutely find out how "Professional" a guy may project by the way he handles it.

Just my opinion, no need for the "Blue" Language.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 20, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

jcnjcnj,
Let me explain something to you: The phrase "consumate pro" is a figure of speech. It refers to the the fact that Okung approaches the game of football seriously. You're an idiot if you didn't understand that.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | April 20, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse