Malcolm Kelly defends Trent Williams's work ethic

Offended by what he considers to be unfair criticism of tackle Trent Williams's work ethic, wide receiver Malcolm Kelly defended his longtime friend and teammate in high school, college and, soon, the pros.

"It does bother me," Kelly said in a phone interview Sunday. "See, the thing about the draft, too, man, is somebody's always going to find some reason as to why they shouldn't pick you where everybody thinks you should get picked. There's always going to be some kind of knock.

"I've never heard of anybody going up to the draft, especially a high draft pick, where they're not saying something's wrong with him. It does kind of bother me, but I know Trent. He's not going to say too much about it. But then when people see him out there pancaking people, then they'll realize."

Williams will work to become great, Kelly said.

"Trent is a prideful person," Kelly said. "He's going to do whatever he can to shut people up."

By Jason Reid  |  April 26, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft , Offensive line , Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tracee Hamilton to discuss the Redskins during First Things First
Next: LaRon Landry plans on helping Perry Riley adjust to the NFL

Comments

FIRST??!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | April 26, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Skins Nation....

Posted by: leevi98 | April 26, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

FIRST??!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | April 26, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say it's not exactly a ringing endorsement coming from a guy that's only caught 25 passes. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Can we please sign Faneca ASAP.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

FedorEm, I'm down with that...just seems to me that Shanahan is happy with the interior line and wants only to upgrade the OT spot. Hopefully we at least bring him in to kick the tires, but I doubt we make a big run at him--especially if there's a bidding war for his services.

I just hope a quality tackle comes available soon...I wouldn't be opposed to continuing the run at Jamaal Brown in New Orleans.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 6:56 AM

...and he showed up out of shape his first year here.

Grumpy: "Doc is the tallest of us seven and I'm tired of people saying that he's short."

Posted by: League-Source | April 26, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I still think we need an all around talent upgrade on the line period. Faneca is a vet and very smart player. He would be a great leader out there for Trent Williams to learn from. I like the idea of getting Brown as well. Is he a Free agent?

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I'm the one that this post is making look stupid.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 12:20 AM

Thank you for proving my point Mr. Substance.

Cork, I never saw any of those older flicks but they've got to be better than the trash that comes out these days. Everyone just trying to out-gross the other.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 26, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we should lisdten to MK becasue he has done well!

Posted by: scottpapex | April 26, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we should lisdten to MK becasue he has done well!

Posted by: scottpapex | April 26, 2010 7:25 AM

Hey! He's worked his knees off.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 26, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of getting Brown as well. Is he a Free agent?

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:14 AM

Nope. Still under contract with NO. But they just took a OT in the 2nd round and had a young guy step up for them last year while Brown was hurt. Hopefully, we can get him on the cheap in terms of compensation.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow imagine if we ever had young guys step up for us. I'd say sign Levi Jones to play RT. Why not? He did ok last year.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM |

TOTALLY AGREE!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | April 26, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM |

TOTALLY AGREE!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | April 26, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM |

TOTALLY AGREE!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | April 26, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM |

Lets see we need another LB or do you think Fletcher can play until he's 50?

The TE is more of a Sellers type with better hands and better blocking ability.

The WR for the 100 time is a kick/punt returner something we don't have.

So to sum it up thats why, I'm sure you could have done better.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM

I know it's not in you to have a well-informed opinion, but the LB we took plays ILB (NEED), the WR is supposedly a good return man (NEED), the TE is a swing player that also plays H-back and FB (NEED). So while it would have been nice to load up on OL help (I know many of us would have taken a shot at Bruce Campbell in the 4th round), I thought we did a decent enough job with the few picks we had.

But as always, we have no idea right now since they haven't even run a practice yet. Time will only tell.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM |

Classic sports_guru, absolutely clueless. Thanks for explaining it to him Flounder. I don't suffer fools well.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 26, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

They are f'ing idiots!! We should have drafted all specialists in this draft!! I was hoping to draft at least 2 long snappers and Larry Michael in the 7th round to be a gunner on special teams.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 26, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Lets see we need another LB or do you think Fletcher can play until he's 50?

The TE is more of a Sellers type with better hands and better blocking ability.

The WR for the 100 time is a kick/punt returner something we don't have.

So to sum it up thats why, I'm sure you could have done better.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 7:40 AM

WR - For the love of Pete, Malcolm Kelley barely got playing time, because we have so many.. if this guy was a decent returner he wouldn't have made it to the 7th round.

As for not drafting the Terp Campbell, with him dangling there... BIG TIME BLUNDER... Mark my words...

... Remember, I was the one who was saying we should trade Jason Campbell when he had trade value...

How does that 2012 4th round pick taste? So, listen to me when I say we blew this draft.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Why would we draft a Linebacker, fullback/h-back/blocking tight end and kick returner/punt returner....

fixed it for ya....

scamp, saw over the weekend that you've got a little one with some health issues, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and to your family.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Can we please sign Faneca ASAP.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

That message was sent by Dan Snyder at 6 am. Are you hacking Shanahan's inbox? I'm over the traditional panic moves this franchise made under Vinny.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 26, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM

I think a 4th for Jason was great. More than I expected. Why did it need to be in 2012 though? Have the Raiders burned their 2011 4th already?

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 26, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I like many people did a double take when I saw us take a TE. But that dude D Mo is a beast. He looks bigger then most of the o-line on his teams and seemed to block just as well.
As for the terp Campbell, maybe its a good thing that we dont pick up a Maryland O-lineman for one year. Not dissin on the terps, they put out some quality positions in the NFL, lineman being one of them. but for the past few years we have just looked to College park to fill in our line. If you pick up UM's olineman your gonna get an o-line like marylands. Which judging from their recent record is not a good thing.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 26, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM

It tastes better than Jason Campbell, starting QB, Washington Redskins. Tastes better than Jim Zorn, Head Coach. Better than Vinny Cerrato, GM. The sky isn't falling, Guru. No one wanted JC for a decent price. He's a 4-12 quarterback. We'd have cut him at some point.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 26, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 26, 2010 7:56 AM

When I first started calling for a Campbell trade a pair of second rounders or even a first rounder would have been likely compensation. Now we have a 4th round pick in two years... weak!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

last time I check, I'm pretty sure Yoder isn't with the team any longer, so you had a vacancy at blocking TE, which is where that cat fits, as well at FB, for when sellers is done, so you essentially filled 2 spots with 1 pick.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 26, 2010 7:48 AM

LOL! Exactly. We drafted like we were the Colts, and only needed a few specialists.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:51 AM |

First off dumb a$$ know your team:

Cooley and davis are not blocking TE's, Yoder is no longer on the team and Sellers is far from a beast did you see him attempting to block last year.

We are not stacked at LB we have one MLB and one guy they are moving there. The one MLB we have is 35 and will start declining soon.

You don't want your starting WR returning kicks, and if Brady was such a great QB why did he last until the 6th round.

Go to the Raiders blog and let them know how they should trade JC.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

stop..guru...just stop...take that stuff outta here, JC is gone...time to get a new dead horse to beat...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Can we please sign Faneca ASAP.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 26, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

The dude can still play and our new FO wouldn't overpay to get him in here. He's a better guard than Big Mike Williams. He would improve our line greatly. I don't think it would be viewed as a panic move, just adding a smart savy player.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

First off dumb a$$ know your team:

Go to the Raiders blog and let them know how they should trade JC.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:10 AM

I do know the Redskins. We are in desparate need of Offensive Linemen and Defensive Backs.

If we had spent the 4th, 6th, and our forst 7th on Defensive Secondary and/or Offensive Linemen.. we would be in much much better shape.

Am I the only one that thinks our secondary stinks?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:06 AM |

Right because he was so good when you started calling for him to be traded, hence the fact you were calling for him to be traded.

JC wasn't worth sh_t to anybody at anytime, so get over yourself.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:06 AM

LOL...you're such a clown I can't even stand it. I mean, you talk about how awful JC was as QB here yet you think you can get All-Pro type compensation for the guy? You can't have it both ways, dude.

We got a 4th round pick for the guy. The Raiders didn't steal him, they got him on credit. Considering a Super Bowl MVP went for a 5th rounder, and the firesale of talented guys like Leon Washington and Kirk Morrison for low picks, getting a 4th for Campbell is pretty good.

But then again, logic and reason isn't exactly your strong suit, is it?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

time to ignore the child.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

can anyone at the WashPost clarify the Clayton ESPN article..?? Is this true?
(from link below)

The Raiders: For years the Oakland Raiders have been rightfully criticized for reaching for speedy players who can't produce on the field. Al Davis got it right this year. He added to a solid draft by picking up Campbell for a conditional fourth-round pick, whose conditions appear to be unachievable. For the Redskins to get that fourth-round pick, the Raiders would either have to make the playoffs or Campbell would have to go to the Pro Bowl. Odds of that are about as good as JaMarcus Russell being on the Raiders' roster this fall. The Campbell acquisition is expected to close the disastrous Russell era. Raiders fans must be rejoicing. Russell created a black hole as far as completing passes consistently. If that weren't enough, the Raiders didn't reach for choices. Their defense is going to be better with linebacker Rolando McClain and defensive tackle Lamarr Houston. Instead of reaching for speedy left tackle Bruce Campbell in the first round, the Raiders got him in the fourth. Sure, Davis couldn't resist going for the fastest player at the combine -- Clemson wide receiver Jacoby Ford -- but he did it with a fourth-round choice, much better than watching the fast but butterfingered Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Bean.

To all RI posters:
Most of us do not agree on a lot of things but I have to say thank you to all of you for your good wishes. We may disagree vehemenently on politics, religion, or life in general but I think you are all great people. Thank you again for all of your kind words.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 26, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks our secondary stinks?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:13 AM

No. But you're the only one who places that need over the front seven, which right now is alarmingly thin--especially at LB.

If you're front 7 is straight, you can get away with having suspect DBs. Ask the '07 Giants.

The switch to the 3-4 has both highlighted our need for quality LBs and rendered the few good ones we have moot. Rocky is a nice OLB in a Tampa 2, he's basically useless in a 3-4.

So count on seeing more moves for LBs. Hopefully, this 4th rounder you hate so much and a couple of undrafted guys emerge--God knows we need 'em to.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

can anyone at the WashPost clarify the Clayton ESPN article..?? Is this true?
(from link below)

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 8:15 AM

If this is true, it only gives more validity to my point.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Best of luck, scamp. I missed what the issue is, but I hope it all works out for you.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks our secondary stinks?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:13 AM

We got 3 o-Linemen how many more did you want, so they didn't draft B Campbell who says he is any better then the guys they drafted you.

As far as secondary if Haslett thinks he has guys that can play then I'm fine with that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

cazoo, here's the deal, money where your mouth is time.

1. Either STFU about it.

or

2. Build a time machine, go back in time, and get those 1st, and 2nd round picks for JC like you said.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah if its a conditional 4th rounder in 2012 and those are the conditions, then we got ripped. Everywhere else I read about the pick suggested it was a straight up pick, not conditional.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 8:15 AM

I don't like the sound of that at all. Clayton can't evaluate players, but fishing out the real details of a trade is right up his alley.

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

D-Wade was on FI-AH yesterday.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:26 AM

Haslett is a joke. Don't even get me started on that loser.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

If this is true, it only gives more validity to my point.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:22 AM

Not really.

Go back and look at Campbell's '09 stats vs. the AFC Pro-Bowlers. Not only does he play in the game, but he probably starts. With this new deal playing the Pro-Bowl before the Super Bowl, you'll see more and more alternates in the games instead of the actual guys voted in.

In a sh*tty AFC West and Campbell playing in an offense more suited to his strengths, I wouldn't just outright assume that neither provision will happen because I could see them both happening if a couple things break right for Oakland.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Can we please sign Faneca ASAP.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Doubt we will.

At this point Faneca will likely sit out and sign with a team that's truly a contender or sign with a team willing to pay him big.

The Skins are neither.

Trent Williams aside, it's clear that Shanny's approach is to try to teach zone-blocking to our retreads, draft projects, and the no-name FAs already brought in.

Sad to say it sounds alot like the previous regime's approach, but I guess we'll wait and see, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:26 AM

Haslett is a joke. Don't even get me started on that loser.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:30 AM |

As a head coach I agree, but as a DC your wrong the guy is a great DC.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Our secondary isn't the best but there is potential there. We just got Phil Buchanon, a vet who can only help. Rogers and Hall, better than a lot of teams have for starters. Landry, Doughty, Moore, L. Holmes, Horton, young safeties with room to get better. And Barnes from UMD might come into his own. Great no, but potnetial is there. Sorry for being so optimistic, but thats just how I feel.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Words from Mighty Mike,

Coach Mike Shanahan said, "We're not done yet. We're gonna still be looking over obviously the wire relative to free agency. . . . We're gonna keep on trying to get better."

The folks whining about the draft and the new front office approach haven't noticed that the skins' roster might feature 20+ new players next Fall.

That's a good thing.

A lot of the dregs from Marty, Steve, St Joe, and Zorno have been sent packing, and along with them went disappointment and letdown.

Unlike some bloggas, I'm getting amped at the thought of new faces, players, stories, names, after a ten year period of FA busts and drafted guys not living up to the hype.

Will we go 10-6 or 8-8 or 4-12?

Who cares?: I'm liking how Shanallen is re-arranging the team to fit a faster more versitile image.

And that final picutre is the one I can't wait to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Doubt we will.

The Skins are neither.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:33 AM |

Right because with this great FA class there were so many big name guys that we could have brought in.

Then your complaint would have been they are signing other teams stars and not building.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

fedorem

"Our secondary isn't the best, but there is potential there."

People, people.

Before condemning the secondary, remember that the team is changing how it wants the front 7 to attack the quarterback.

An ever-changing front where individual players are put into position to make plays means more pressure, confusion, and thus, the likely that our 'mediocre' secondary will get more chances to intercept.

They will look and play better because of the improved play before them.

Too, moving LL to the SS spot will also improve the secondary.

A secondary doesn't have to be great if the quarterback is sacked, fumbles, or is beat up a lot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

And that final picutre is the one I can't wait to see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:34 AM

Well said, Moe. I haven't been this excited about the Skins since Gibbs came back in '04.

Hopefully, this regime has a better ending.

Considering Shanahan hasn't been out of the game for over a decade, and he's coming with an All-Pro QB to run things, I'm betting it will be.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what you can expect from this team early. On the one hand, you 'should' see a boost before people have tape on what Shanny wants to run with this squad. On the other hand, with a new QB, LT, RT, & possibly RB and/or FB, then there could be some gelling time necessary.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 26, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

"...it's clear that Shanny's approach is to try to teach zone-blocking to our retreads, draft projects, and the no-name FAs already brought in."

I think this is unwarranted criticism.

Flounder is right, there weren't any FA 'beauties' for the line for any team this Spring.

We got what we needed out of the draft: a starting left tackle, and two kids to train into starting roles.

Look at our mix of 1st and 2nd year players:

E Williams

T Williams

S Capers

E Cook

C Oldenburg

C Rhinehart

And heck, both Heyer and Montgomery are going into their 3rd seasons.

M Williams has 5 years under his belt.

Point is we're starting to get younger players who'll get some time in behind the 're-treads' for this season and maybe next.

You don't have to sign everybody to build a line when drafting and grooming them one out of young players works just as well.

It just takes time.

And patience.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Can we please sign Faneca ASAP.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

The Jets think that Faneca is done. Apparently, he graded out poorly, especially on pass blocking, when they evaluated the tapes from last season. If the Shannys and Foerster don't think he's an improvement over what we already have, I'm ok with that.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 26, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM

Hey Guru,dude, listen,try and just try Google the guys we drafted or watch their videos, you might want to change your stance!Even I almost jump off the roof particularly when I heard we drafted a tight end, but when I saw the clips on D-Mo, I changed my mind. Go ahead, check the videos out on these guys, like I said earlier, you might want to change your stance.

Posted by: abxinc | April 26, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

It just takes time.

And patience.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:50 AM

We are on the 19th year of our 3 year re-building plan.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Lets see we need another LB or do you think Fletcher can play until he's 50?

The TE is more of a Sellers type with better hands and better blocking ability.

The WR for the 100 time is a kick/punt returner something we don't have.

So to sum it up thats why, I'm sure you could have done better.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 26, 2010 7:40 AM

+1.

Seriously.. I don't know people can complain too much about the draft.

We got our franchise LT to fit our scheme.

We got rid of the player nobody liked (JC) and got a Pro Bowl QB for a 2nd round pick (4th rounders gain/lost cancel out).

Jarmon was the 3rd. Riley was the 10th rated LB at a position of NEED (Fletcher can't play forever).

We traded our high 5th for Carriker (Tons of potential at NO cost), Morris (Sellers replacement), and Austin (KR/PR is a NEED).

Then in the 7th we drafted depth on O-line, getting a 2nd-3rd round projection in the 7th round (Capers).

Morris is gonna be a beast FB (great blocker).

Also, maybe there is a reason teams kept passing on Bruce Campbell, and that finally the RAIDERS were the team that selected him??

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM

Posted by: abxinc | April 26, 2010 8:52 AM |

Ok, I'll take a look.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

One Schlub's Snalysis of the Skins Draft (that being me)

1) Trent Williams - When you get a (1) mega-talented prospect that (2) fits your team's biggest need and (3) projects to fit well in your scheme; then there's nothing left to say except that it's a great pick.

2) Perry Riley - Very mixed feelings about this pick. On the plus side, he played with success in a top-notch program against the kind of athletes in the SEC that populate the NFL. We need to groom some new ILBs, and he also played special teams all 4 years and the Skins need some beef on that unit. What disappoints me is that we passed on Bruce Campbell, who is the kind of athletic freak that I believe would thrive as a zone-blocking RT. Our need was Oline and we could have continued to address it with a tackle in the 4th that had a 1st-2nd round grade. Bottom line: I don't think Riley is the kind of "steal" in the 4th round that Campbell would have been filling a greater need.

3) Dennis Morris - Bummed. It seems that the Redskins have to spend a pick on a tight end in every single draft. Shanny says that Morris will become an H-back/fullback. Isn't that why we signed Sean Ryan? Doesn't Mike Sellers already know that role?

4) Terrence Austin - Continuing with the trend of using picks on positions where we're already loaded, we disappointingly take another WR here. I guess the plan is to groom him to be a special teams guru, but I don't know why you spend a pick on someone like that when you've got other bigger needs on the team.

5) Erik Cook - Finally in the 7th, we go back to Line. Cook doesn't seem very highly valued, but we're addressing needs, so I like the pick.

6) Selvish Capers - Good value for a decent prospect in the 7th round that addresses a need. As a converted TE, Capers brings alot of athleticism to the table which fits well in the zone-block, but not alot of strength. Even so, a guy who converts positions like that and plays well is the smart kind of linemen who can be groomed and taught. I like this pick in the 7th alot.

Could we have done better on the JC trade? Here's what I'd like to know. If Oakland was willing to ship Kirk Morrison out for a 5th round pick, then you'd think they would have been willing to swap Morrison for JC straight up. Morrison is a real-deal bonafide starting MLB in the NFL and led the Raiders D in tackles last season. It seems he could have immediately filled the middle with London Fletcher in a 3-4. Did the Skins try to make this trade? I don't know, but I would have been much much much happier walking away with Morrison rather than a 4th rounder 2 years from now.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

There are some miserable people living in this area. If you suddenly feel the need to be mean spirited and critical of a guy who hasn't even played yet then you need to get a life. How about we see how Trent plays first?

Posted by: sjp879 | April 26, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

see, cazoo, thats were you come off looking like a donkey....have a CLUE about what you're talking about, before you come up here shooting your mouth off....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM

Here we go again. Monday post about the draft picks, because Momma's basement cant get the internet and you had to wait to get to work to post.

Please tell me how YOU know more than the team of scouts and coaches do?

As stated, we desperately need a KR and PR. AS new FB/B-Back is needed, and we DO need a ILB to play our new 3-4 defense. If you dont understand my abbreviations feel free to look them up on your 2007 Madden game.

Hail.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, I don't know Morrison too well as a player, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit in a 3-4 as an ILB. Personally, I'd take the pick over a guy who may not fit in the new scheme.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

p1funk-

Nice work, agree w/ 99%.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe how many people are co-signing with Sports_Guru. I think the LB and TE pick were discussed about being picks for the future, when Fletcher and/or Rocky, and Sellers current contracts are up. It gives the team flexibility in the future, while hopefully helping a special teams unit that was one of the worst last year. IMO a solid draft in that the picks made sense when reason is used.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 26, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I'm not busting on the Oline straight up.

I like the draft picks (mostly, bummed about passing on B.Campbell).

My comments are more a reflection of the fact that we've yet to bring in any real veteran depth at tackle - Jones, Adams.

We low-balled middle grade lineman FAs like Pashos and Sims.

Gaither has supposedly been out there and it doesn't seem like we even made an inquiry.

I seriously doubt we will even look at Faneca.

I'm not saying that it's not going to work out...I'm just saying...

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:31 AM
===============
for real? JC voted to the ProBowl AND the Raiders in the playoffs?? Cable is a self-destruct personality.. I think the Raiders get close but, free fall to the bottom, again.

However, if you're convinced, you should visit Vegas and place that bet.. I believe its 30-1 right now (Raiders in the playoffs) and 50-1 in the SB..
And if either happens with JC as QB, the odds strongly favor that Dan Snyder will burst an artery.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Seriously.. I don't know people can complain too much about the draft.

We got our franchise LT to fit our scheme.

Morris is gonna be a beast FB (great blocker).

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree with this analysis completely. Except the dig at JC, he was more popular than blogs let on, as can be shown by blog polls where he was usually showing 70% support.

But if you look at our draft and count McNabb, Jarmon and Carriker then we eneded up getting 9 guys out of this draft.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Shanny already said that there not done adding players. Free Agent Wire was stated. I'd expect to see some more OL added.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Perry Riley isn't a 3-4 either. We're going to convert him from being a weak-side 4-3 LB.

Either way we're converting someone.

I'd rather have the linebacker who has already proven to me that he can lead an NFL defense in tackles.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM

Agreed..I thought he should have been included in the ten player exodus and that was before we had a replacement for him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM
==================
agreed. good time to package him to somewhere.. if his Contract is tradeable.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

according to PFT, we were in line behind 31 other teams in this.....

the jets cut faneca because his pay didn't equal his performance, 2 years ago, maybe they pick him up, but this is a new regime in which football acumen matters....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't shock me at all if he isn't.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 26, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Tight end / H-back is easily the deepest position on our roster.

Do you spend a draft pick on a future blocking tight-end/H-back?

Cooley and Davis are gonna be around for a while, and you can always find a fullback/blocking TE out there to sign if you need one.

I would have rather seen a free safety prospect picked there, or another LB that has 3-4 potential.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 26, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

That's not surprising.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse
=====================
Can Jarmon still play?
ACL/MCL reconstruction is 60-40 that a player returns. And they are rarely the same in performance if they do return.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"I've never heard of anybody going up to the draft, especially a high draft pick, where they're not saying something's wrong with him."

Me either. Although Eric Berry came close. Rolondo McClain survived the gauntlet, too, although that's partly because people hadn't been talking him up that much.

The whole experience is like a temporary psychosis. You have all that gossip and outright disinformation in the weeks leading up to it, fueled by wildly inflated estimates of success for individual players. You forget these are all untested rooks who may only have a year or two of big-time college experience. There are guys out there predicting that Trent Williams puts the Skins into playoff contentio, forgetting that he fills the team's biggest need, not its only need.

For a player, it must be disorienting to the extreme.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM

If you get the chance, look at where Riley lines up when LSU is in a under front (basically what the Skins will be running most of the time from what I understand). He's playing "ILB" to the weak side. It shouldn't be too difficult for him to pick that position up.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Are you an Eagles Fan?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 8:31 AM

Brownie,

Campbell's experience in Oakland will be Redskins 2.0

1) Dysfunctional organization with capricious owner calling the QB shots - check.

2) Puppet coaches - check.

3) Crappy Oline - check.

4) Largely mediocre crop of WRs who don't look like they are going to do many favors for their QB - check.

5) Losing culture - check.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Either way we're converting someone.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM

I can agree with that.

But Morrison was already gone by the time the Skins and Raiders trade talks got hot and heavy. If that conversation took place the day before, I'm sure we could have worked out a deal to bring him in (if he was even on the Redskins radar).

Oh well, what's done is done. Let's roll with the guys we've got and do this thing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone discussed John Henderson being released. He could provide some flexibility if/when AH is moved later in the offseason.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't shock me at all if he isn't.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 26, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Agree there. I think MORRIS is aimed right at SELLERS' job.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 9:16 AM

You're right... and I was one of the ones who supported JC. Let's just say we got rid of a 'distraction'.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 9:22 AM

Not sure about Jarmon... Shanny sounded positive about him.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 26, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"As a converted TE, Capers brings alot of athleticism to the table which fits well in the zone-block, but not alot of strength." posted by pfunk

That surprised me, because he looks plenty strong. I guess it's based on his reps on the bench press at the Combine. But I noticed that on that Sports Science segment someone posted, he generated a lot more force on the run block test than Bruce Campbell did.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Good to see Kelly sticking up for his boy, but Brown is right, it's not much of an endorsement coming from someone who has himself been a disappointment (so far).

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 26, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Sellers won't make the 53.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:10 AM

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I think that was the only thing that kept him on the roster.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Campbell's experience in Oakland will be Redskins 2.0

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM

I could see that too...all I'm saying is that it's not ridiculous to think he could make a Pro-Bowl and/or lead Oakland to the playoffs when he played better than no less than two AFC Pro-Bowlers last year despite the conditions you laid out and playing in what is easily the worst division in football. It's not out of the question that 8-8 could win that division and I wouldn't put that mediocre mark out of Oakland's reach.

Not saying it WILL happen, just saying it COULD and it wouldn't be shocking if it did.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM

...Great analysis... I agree 100%

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

He's gonna have problems doing that.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Campbell's experience in Oakland will be Redskins 2.0

Posted by: p1funk

Question: Do you still consider your favorite football team, the Redskins, to be a dysfunctional organization?

If no, is it based on Shanahan and Co. arrival? The way they finally drafted players that play positions of need?

If you answered to any of the both, then you could probably make the same argument for the Raiders.

I'm not saying they've completely changed their philosophy, I still gotta see how the season will play out (a lot like the Redskins in that way), but based on the Raiders draft you can make the argument that maybe they're turning the corner.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I also would bet that we don't see Colt in a redskins uniform after the pre-season.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"TE - We have Chris Cooley, Fred Davis and Yoder to block... plus Sellers is a beast!
LB - We are stacked.. even to the point that they think Orakpo is an LB... we don't need 12 LBs. Posted by SportsGuru

Hmmm? I would see Moore as a developmental player, not somebody who plays much the first year. Plus he can play FB, right? Which the other 3 can't.

As to LB, I've been wondering about that for two seasons. Blades is decent but McIntosh is hurt and unhappy with his deal, while Fletcher is just getting older. Orakpo is a pass rusher first and foremost. I'm happy they addressed it.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM

...Great analysis... I agree 100%

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM

Wow pfunk...you may wanna rethink your stance if you're getting an endorsement from this guy!

S_G endorsement = Malcolm Kelly endorsement

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM

...Great analysis... I agree 100%

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice.

Of course, now the other guys are going to kill me for writing some stuff that Guru agrees with 100%.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Tight end / H-back is easily the deepest position on our roster.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:20 AM

Te is a deep position, but FB/HB is not. Sellers is the only player the Skins had on the team (Ryan is a blocking TE). By all accounts, he got fat and lazy when he got the contract he wanted last year. His blocking last season was below par. The FB is an important position in Shanny's offense this season (so Sellers says). Competition is a need at that position.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

kind of funny that the conditional trade means that even JC haters will be rooting for him next season.

in any case, the consensus seems to be that we've made some progress... but what is our biggest need right now? I'm thinking FS.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I do like the passion involved in some of these posts. But seriously...was anyone on this blog running the recent mini-camp? What about the current guys on the roster? Maybe the changes in scheme will play to their strengths. Let's have some patience w/ the FO since the first game is not until 4 months from now. The FO earned my trust since they did the right thing by picking Trent Williams. Have some faith....

Posted by: G-SHOK | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Rypien's brakdown>p1funk...

One schlun is right. Sorry P1 I think that take is sorta way off...

Firstly, D-Mo is a blocker, thus we took 4 blockers in this draft, and still got 2 additional picks, upgrading from the 4 we entered with. Same we we drafted "3 pass catchers" 2 years ago we drafted "4 blockers"

And Sellers? He dropped off the face of the earth last season (dirty little secret, you all hate on CP, but he is usually 97% right ie: Zorn, Sellers, JC) Yoder is gone...and Ryan??? Last time I checked Donnie Warren he is not...so you know there is a position on the team and three guys to duke it out: The old warhorse, the journeymen looking to stick and the young wannabe...I like that.

Rypien's assessment takes a holistic look at draft class by rightly looking at what we did with the suite of picks including supplemental, trades and such as...

And can we stop riding B. Campbell's jock....that cat is a major ? mark. All the UMD fans up here were trashing the cat. How many work out warriors have been total busts? Many of you were humping that cat Boone a few years back, now that cat can't even stick on a anyone's practice squad.

Draft in totality: New starting QB, 4 blockers, 2 young talented DLmen, KR specialist, and an ILB....which by the way we need two starters and currently only one you can sharpie in the line-up...

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

This is the first draft in a hella-long time that I haven't walked away from the TV shaking my head and groaning.

...it sucks that THAT is our measuring post. But hey, I'm happy! lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

That may be true and it may be something the coaches saw. I don't purport to be a D-scheming expert.

My point is that if we are talking about taking a bonafide NFL linebacker who has proven he can play at a high level but needs to learn a different scheme versus a college prospect out of the draft; I like former over the latter.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly defends Trent Williams' work ethic ... SkinsneedaGM defends on-line scouting reports and amateurs who hold themselves out as experts in their mock drafts ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

If Capers can move his feet quickly and get in space well.... Lovely. He seems the prototypical zone blocker. You can pull with him, roll the pocket, and he can get out quickly on screens. To me, those are the three areas where Heyer struggles. 7th round pick on an athletic prototype... great pick.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM

I'd agree...especially if Daryll Clark ends up being a nice surprise in camp. I was just talking with a friend of mine that's a Penn State fan and she says that he's a good player with the right tutelage.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Cooley was drafted/groomed to be an H-back/Full-back by Gibbs. Zorn converted him to more of a pure TE role.

My point is that the team has more obvious needs right now than finding an H-back of the future.

We need LBs, safeties and Olineman that have a shot at playing now.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM

...Great analysis... I agree 100%

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:36 AM

LOL! Hey, you can't help it that you're right.

I would have let every other pick slide, if we had drafted Campbell to book end Williams.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Rypien's brakdown>p1funk...

One schlun is right. Sorry P1 I think that take is sorta way off...

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Didn't know I was competing with Mark Rypien.

I'll defer to him anytime.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Capers is greater than Campbell for Shanny and Son.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Q.
Albert Haynesworth

What are your bets concerning Albert Haynesworth coming to mini camp in shape?

* –
April 25, 2010 10:04 PM

A.
Tracee Hamilton writes:

This is the biggie, no pun intended. If Haynesworth is smart, he comes in looking as svelte as a guy his size can look and is the model player. That knocks the ball back in Shanahan's court.

If he comes in looking like Jaba the Hut and taking a knee every two minutes, all bets are off. I think he comes in in shape. It's the smart play.
– April 26, 2010 9:39 AM

Posted by: abxinc | April 26, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

p1, I meant rypien11...a pretty regular poster....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

...and in further news, Mel Kyper is still undrafted.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I like former over the latter.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping they got Morrison as well.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm ok with Trent Williams but the rest of the draft kind of sucks.

Round 4: We passed on Bruce Campbell, Joe Mcnight, Jacoby Ford, Ed Wang, and Mitch Petrus. I would have taken Bruce Campbell.

Round 6: I would have rather had: Jonathan Dwyer, Trindon Holliday, Kyle Calloway, or Kyle Williams. I would have taken Trindon Holliday.

Round 7: Selvish Capers was a great pick here. I think guys like Demarcus Granger, Dennis Landholt, Jevan Snead, Sergio Render, Travis Ivey, Dace Richardson, Donovan Warren, Ryan Stamper, LeGarrette Blount, and Jarrett Brown would have been nicer here. I would have drafted Donovan Warren and LeGarrette Blount instead.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I always give a lot of bias to football players from the North East as opposed to the South West. I could see One of these UFA's we got beating out Colt.

Colt Brennan would do well in the AFL or UFL or CFL. He needs to be in a place where he can get a lot of reps and work on his throwing motion.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I suppose we have to suffer the inevitable second guessing on the draft for a while this week, esp. after having been fed nothing but smoke, mirrors, and hyperlinks to smoke and mirrors for a few months and every peep up here has become a GM based on that. Bruce Campbell? SO glad that wasn't even an option for the Skins. Raiders did NOT score there ... my intelligence on him (Mayock) says he is a longer armed Robert Gallery to be.

Skins did fine in the draft ... plus UD free agency (are there really six RBs on the roster now?). I still think we could use further upgrade in the LB department, but if Pittsburgh and Baltimore can hit jackpots in undrafted free agency at LB, and because LBs as a position group ALWAYS tend to drop for reasons unknown after the first couple of guys, I'm more than pleased with the guy we got. Name is kind of boring though.

This roster, however, is still not done. Skins still need to upgrade at free safety ... or Reid Doughty has to stop making stupid QB misdirection mistakes and become the full time free safety.

Ideally, some teams with a 4-3 scheme has one of its stud DTs have the season start like Phillip Daniels two years ago ... THEN there will be a trade market for Albert Haynesworth. For now, however, I'm happy to have him on the roster than off. I've always thought the guy was better and more important to the D's success than the d!cks up here who think he's overweight and out-of-shape.

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I just don't like the TE pick. I think we had far greater needs on the team. Agree to disagree.

I'm a UMD guy, and I like B.Campbell in the 4th round. He's got "Jared Gaither" written all over him - the knock on Gaither was that he was physically talented/gifted but immature and there were questions about how serious a pro he'd be.

At UM, Friedgen plays a straight up pro-style, and the Olinemen have a trend of converting to the NFL successfully.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

All future arguments with p1funk will be settled with the following:

...Great analysis... I agree 100%

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | April 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Round 4: We passed on Bruce Campbell, Joe Mcnight, Jacoby Ford, Ed Wang...

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM

OK, so what you're saying is that you like Wang?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

We need LBs, safeties and Olineman that have a shot at playing now.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:43 AM |

I like the long term view with the 3rd day picks. That's what good organizations do so that they can have seamless transitions when an older player is let go for one reason or another. It's a way too get top value when a productive player contract is up.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

GOod stuff, PA. Pretty much in agreement w/ my post at 8:59.

The Perry Riley pick, I'm 50/50 on and I would have rather had Campbell; but if Riley turns into a starting 3-4 MLB, then it also fills a need.

I don't like the TE/WR picks at all, but Shallen rallied in the 7th going Olinemen.

If you count D.McNabb and Adam Carriker as fruits of the draft, then it's good odraft overall.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Heyer is a real standou... wait a minute...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm ok with Trent Williams but the rest of the draft kind of sucks.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM

Great points!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

You keep saying TE, but he was drafted to be the tweener blocker who has the versatility to move around the formation. Was Mike Sellers no on the roster alongside cooley/davis/yoder the last 45/seasons (2 with FD...)?? So obviously they are not competing roster spots...

Shanny's Offense needs a FB/freelance blocker. Riddle me this do you think when Shanny/BA watched last season's game tape thought, "well we have Mike Sellers, so we are good there" NO he SUCKED last season! Was it just an off year, or is age and wear/tear catching up...given his age I'd say the ladder...sooooooooo bringing in draft pick to push him in a position that helps BLOCK for the RB/QB....seems like addressing our offenses past inability to block anyone....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 26, 2010 9:42 AM

I'm kind of hoping he becomes the guy they bring in when they're the one yard line ... like the Pats used to do with Vrabel ... Vrabel used to come in for the one offensive play in his repetoire and walk off the field with a TD.

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with a lot of what you say, but . . .

Re: Bruce Campbell - He appears to be a much better athlete than he is a football player. Guys who look great running around in their shorts, but can't transfer that to the football field would concern me if I was a GM. Too many of them have been busts (see Mamula, Mike).

And we're "loaded" at WR? Yes, we have a lot of guys there, but Moss is the only one who's done anything in the NFL, and he's on the downside of his career. Better production from the WRs is a need, and if we have to bring in somebody else to get that, so be it.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I just don't like the TE pick

Good, neither did I, but he's not a TE, he's gonna play a myriad of spots, te, being one of them. The team needed a blocking TE, and needed to find a replacement for Sellers...done, and done...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

p1, I meant rypien11...a pretty regular poster....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I know.

I was messing around.

Of course I would defer to Mark Rypien in real life anytime...

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

my intelligence on him (Mayock) says he is a longer armed Robert Gallery to be.

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 9:51 AM

That's all the intelligence you need, IMO. Mayock is the best in the business. Although I gotta question his preparation for draft day...you know you're gonna be on air talking for hours, I don't know how his voice crapped out on him in the middle of Day 3. Kiper not only keeps up the intensity from the 1st pick to Mr. Irrelevant but dude doesn't even use the bathroom AT ALL during the draft.

Advantage: Kiper.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Sellers had NO rushing touches last season. None attempts. [Does anyone remember the lights out concussion he suffered in 2008? I thought he was dead on the field. He didn't move for like 10 seconds.] Other than in blocking, his only offensive production was in the passing game.

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Dennis Landholt

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 9:50 AM

Where did he sign as a UFA? I saw a rumor he was coming to the Skins.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Heyer is a real standou... wait a minute...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Dik, don't know if this is a sarcastic reference to my statement about UMD linemen converting successfully to the NFL.

Heyer's now a marginal starter who could make a nice career as a good/versatile backup tackle.

For starting out as an undrafted free agent, I'd say that's a pretty successful conversion.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

F'ING IDIOTS!

Linebacker- Fletcher is getting old, RC's future uncertain, Blades talent uncertain.

TE- My bet is he is going to be more of a FB, which the skins need.

Why would you question WR. Moss is getting old, and the others are still unproven...But then you probably want to sign TO. Because you're the sports guru!

Your the F'ing idiot. change your handle to sports moron!!!! I have never seen a smart or educated post from you.

Posted by: wdcdave | April 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Heyer is a real standou... wait a minute...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

No need to knock Heyer. A Pro-Bowler he ain't, but it's not his fault that this team has had so many holes that a guy who screams backup (versatile, but not dominant) has been thrown to the dogs for his entire career. In my book, he's earned every penny of his contract.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

F'ING IDIOTS!

TE- My bet is he is going to be more of a FB, which the skins need.

Posted by: wdcdave | April 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"I saw that Sports Science bit. I think the point was that Capers can accelerate and get close to his top speed quickly (b/c of his athleticism). That momentum results in alot of strength on a collision.
But if he doesn't get a running start, then he's more dependent on the strength of his lower body/arms to punch-off/hold up Dlinemen. He's gonna have problems doing that.Posted by: p1funk"

I'm wondering if he's as weak in the arms as we think. Is that mostly based on the bench press at the Combine? His lower body looks plenty strong. Overall I wonder why he fell to round 7...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

F'ING IDIOTS!

TE- My bet is he is going to be more of a FB, which the skins need.

Posted by: wdcdave | April 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Are you an Eagles Fan?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 26, 2010 9:24 AM
========================
no.. I have far too much class..
I turn my head to puke at games.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Advantage: Kiper.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 9:59 AM

For all his preparation, I would have to say "Disadvantage: Kiper & ESPN ... Advantage: Every other moron on the panel sitting next to him." Compared to what he knows about every player and previous years' drafts, Kiper barely got a word in. He was pantsed. Plus, the free fall of Clausen made his castration all the more public.

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Brownie,

Oh he goes to the bathroom, alright. He just never leaves the set!!

No wonder the 'chemistry' was off!!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 26, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I understand the knocks on Campbell. My point is that he's a giant strong man who is very athletic. That's the kind of thing you emphasize when you are looking for zone-blocking tackles - I think he had the potential be our RT of the future. He had a 1st-2nd round grade among alot of the "experts". I'm nost saying that we should have traded up to the 2nd round to grab him, but in the 4th round, I think he's a nice steal.

My point about the WR is that we are "loaded" with guys like Terrence Austin - young and unproven WRs. It's not like Terrence Austin projects to be the next Dez Bryant. Between Hall, Moss, Buchanon, Thomas and Alridge (who I believe is still on the roster) I'm pretty sure we can already patch together a good PR/KR unit.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"I would have drafted Donovan Warren and LeGarrette Blount instead.Posted by: PAskinsfan17"

I'm still trying to figure out what was wrong with Jevan Snead.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Raiders had a great Draft..

And on a related note.. Al Davis just arrived for the 1st Round to begin.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 26, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

To me our "pass catching" talent ranks like this

1. Chris Cooley, coming off an injury but still probably in that list of elite TE's.

2. Santana Moss, getting old, slowing down, but still can get that short burst to get open if we get him 1-1.

3. Fred Davis, we have 2 great tight ends, but we need to figure out how to get 2 TE's on the field for 60% of our plays now.

4. Malcom Kelly/Devin Thomas/Marko Mitchel/Terrance Austin
5. Malcom Kelly/Devin Thomas/Marko Mitchel/Terrance Austin
6. Malcom Kelly/Devin Thomas/Marko Mitchel/Terrance Austin
7. Malcom Kelly/Devin Thomas/Marko Mitchel/Terrance Austin

Lets face it none of our other 4 WR's look like they have proven to be a starting caliber player yet, they will all be getting reps and battling it out to see who will play opposite Moss. Expect to see Moss get around 1000 yards, Cooley around 800 and Davis around 600, but that leaves quite a void to be filled in the passing game.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

whoa... triple move back there. try cutting back on the coffee a little.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'd much rather have a 4th round pick in 2012 for Campbell than a 6th rounder this year, or even worse... nothing at all.

I thought they did very well in this draft.

The primary need was offensive line and they got 3 prospects there.

They needed an interior linebacker.

They needed a return man.

They needed a potential replacement for Sellers.

They needed a viable starting QB.

They could have also used a NT and a free safety. But they signed a boat load of free agents on the defensive line. The biggest weakness on defense right now looks like free safety since that wasn't addressed.

I think Williams and Morris will both start as rookies. Anytime you can get a starter in the 6th round, that's awesome.

Posted by: dfbovey | April 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

F'ING IDIOTS!

TE- My bet is he is going to be more of a FB, which the skins need.

Posted by: wdcdave | April 26, 2010 10:04 AM |

Well, I did say that Jason Campbell was not out QB of the future 3 years ago, but nobody listened.

That seemed smart then, and down right genius now.

Our QB of the future is an Oakland Raider.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:57 AM

100% agreed. Sellers needs to be pushed this year.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Where did he sign as a UFA? I saw a rumor he was coming to the Skins.

Posted by: TWISI | April 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Giants signed him. I was kinda bummed. I thought he was athletic enough to play right tackle here or at the very least he'd be a good guard.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 26, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 26, 2010 10:07 AM

Absolutely true, Sween. I was being facetious.

Kiper and McShay are both all hype and no substance. Mayock doesn't get the same fanfare, but I'd take him over Kiper and McShay combined 10 times outta 10.

I give Mayock props because he didn't walk off the set, NFLN made him get off the air with no voice. And then he didn't go home sipping tea, he went to the green room and provided analysis on NFL.com. Dude is a trooper.

I just hope he takes care of his voice leading up to draft day next year. Haha

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

um...beep

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 26, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

OK.

But Cooley can already do that stuff. He was drafted/groomed by Gibbs to do that, and did it pretty well. If we're looking for a way to get Cooley and Davis on the field together, then maybe that's the way.

If we are looking for someone who is more of a pure blocker, then that was the reason for bringing in Sean Ryan.

If we're looking for a versatile guy, then Sellers is there. Did he "suck" last year?? Yeah, maybe, but so did pretty much everyone else on the team. Let's give him a shot to ahve a bounce back year.

Bottom line is that I think there were/are more obvious needs on the team than an H-back 'Tweener. We didn't have alot of draft picks and I didn't think it was a great pick.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

That seemed smart then, and down right genius now.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 10:12 AM

Wow S_G...the Redskins missing on a franchise QB. Really stepping out on a limb with that one.

I mean, it's not like we've gone the better part of 40 years without one or anything. Oh wait...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 26, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

You can netflix "Jaws" and I highly recommend it. The original version of "The Thing" is a bit outdated these days, but still had a masterful approach to suspense..

The great suspense directors knew what you cannot see is scarier than what is standing in front of you dripping ooze.

Sure eventaully, you always see the monster, but like sex, the buildup is a very important part of the process.

Posted by: TheCork | April 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Whatever perceived advantage anyone may have of Kiper was gained by him doing lines of coke off Jimmy Clausen's ass. He is either his father or is sleeping with him. That was a disgrace. He even managed to badmouth Golden Tate saying Clausen made him everything he was.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

He's gonna have problems doing that.

Posted by: p1funk | April 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Which would be a marked improvement from last year when REDSKIN RT's (HEYER, M.WILLIAMS and everybody else we plugged in there) were left standing like statues as D-linemen blew by them on the way to a lunch of SOUP.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

This may sound odd, but I liked Capers over Campbell. Better run blocker, IMO. But neither one was close to Trent Williams.

Also, about Tebow: he doesn't have great times in the 40, but check out how he did on those 3 cone and shuttle drills. He scored better than any RB. In fact, if he wasn't so tall, that would be his position in a rational system.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

You guys are all "PSYCHO."

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Easy big fella. Down in the sixth and seventh rounds, I figure it makes more sense picking best player available--as that ups the odds of a long shot anyway making the team.

They'd LOVE to ditch Sellers for a younger version, if not this year, next, and if the kid has talent, he'll likely go to the practice squad.

In the lower rounds it's a crap shoot anyway.

All this "H-back" talk tells me they don't have a lot of confidence in devin Thomas becoming their move guy. Probably afraid with his mental skill set he'd run the wrong way and collide with the Gatoraid kid who'sstanding by the bench,.

Posted by: TheCork | April 26, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332
---------------------------
You are going to see some strange sights this year, like this really good play other teams have been running called a "screen pass". McNabb has been extremely good at it, whereas Campbell did not have it in his repertoire.

Also, Coach Shanahan's teams always "run" the ball well. Apparently this makes every other play more effective.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 26, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Shanny and Allen drafted players they believe can make the team. From the players drafted notably this FB/TE and WR. Mike Sellers is on notice and you can never have enough fundamentaly sound blockers that will do the dirty work. WE ARE RUNNING THE BALL. WR pick is the most questionable choice at this spot. But Shanny wants to see if he can fill our special teams needs at returner and maybe we have an eddie royal type of player here, quick and versatile with good hands. What round was eddie royal picked?

Posted by: sthai75 | April 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

One un-drafted free agent signing and the "Cult of Colt" has turned against him. Nobody wants Colt on the team any more and this is do to just what exactly? Do people here really feel that good about Rex Grossman?..I hope McNabb doesn't get hurt because Rex is not the one I want coming in to lead the Skins. He Sucks!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 26, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, Malcolm Kelly has to understand that the Mel Kiper's and Todd McNothing's are always going to talk down a lot of "black players" who come out of school. These guys don't go to every pratice or even watch every game, but that doesn't stop them from trying to ruin someone in the draft. Look at how Mel Kiper kept on hyping up Jimmy Clausen and then when Clausen went in 2nd round he look like egg was on his face. Clausen got caught with other players at Notre Dame buying beer while he was under age, but not once did that come up. I call it "under the table racism" with these "draft gurus". Trent just needs to come in here and knock people on there behinds and everything else will be fine.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 26, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj
-------------------------
Rex Grossman played for Young Shanny last year in Houston and they picked him up based on HIS recommendation. This is just a guess but I think he probably knows what he's doing.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 26, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

line backer = depth for the 3-4 defense,TE = depth in case cooley(or davis) goes down ......again (plus the guy plays fullback, so depth for Mike sellers), WR is a return specialist to replace ARE

F'ing idiot

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 26, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Faneca...is he signed yet?

What is the delay for -- jeez!!!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | April 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10:

I thought we already had depth at TE (Cooley/Davis/etc.)? I think the TE drafted is supposed to be strictly an H-back (Kind of like Cooley was supposed to be) so we'll see how that goes. The WR drafted is pretty small and thin, but is very fast.

Let's not get too excited about draft picks in the 7th round (specifically the lineman) putting us over the top. These guys should be drafted in order to provide depth...not start right away. The way Snyderatto built this club, they're going to have to start right away and be developed like crap. It probably won't be until next year when the line can be addressed properly.

Posted by: HawksPride | April 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

lilhollywood10:

Posted by: HawksPride | April 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

i think the etc. you mentioned refers to our newly drafted TE/H-back, because i can't name another TE on the roster other than cooley or davis, and Fred ain't the blocking variety either. The kid from UCLA is pretty small (like desean jackson) but has major wheels (like desean jackson). I hope yall didn't think we were gonna draft a buncha starters with our 4 total picks coming into the draft. We got our prize for the oline, and then added some depth where we were thin. If the wr pans out in the return game cool, if not he'll be on the practice squas or the streets like a lot of other 7th rounders.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If proving doubters wrong is what will inspire him to become a pro bowl left tackle, then I will be more then happy to criticize his work ethic for a long time.

Posted by: soriphius | April 26, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

there are some folks here that will always be negative. just their nature i guess. kelly can PLAY. say what you will about his first year, but he played his azz off last season and just MIGHT start this season. as far as t williams is concerned, the coaching staff (and the WP) have assured us there are skills that must be improved on, that his technique is not yet tight. but in the same breath they're saying "he gonna be a BAD mammajamma." so, in other words, why don't you naysayers just stf up and let's see what happens!

Posted by: dcjazzman | April 26, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Adalius Thomas > Lorenzo Alexander

Sign Adalius! - and Fanaca and Flozell and TO

Posted by: coparker5 | April 26, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Flounder21 SkinsneedaGM Sports_Guru BeantownGreg1 Samson151 are examples of how the internet has made us all wannabe experts at something. They actually think that because they now have access to a media resource that someone other than their drinking buddies or dog bothers to listen to that they belong on ESPN. I bet you all think you are smarter than Mel Kiper and Todd dont you? I know you all think you are smarter than Vinny Cerrato. I bet you take yourselves that seriously as football gurus. But the real question is why are they getting paid for their analysis and you guys are slugs on a public web blog? I guess this is your ESPN/ESPN980.com. We all cant be on TV getting paid for our expert opinions.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Trent hasn't collected his first fat check yet. AH has talked about being great, as well. All lip service until you prove it.

Posted by: anw821 | April 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

That is reassuring. Malcolm Kelly talks work ethic. You gotta love it!!!

Posted by: muddapucker | April 26, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hi Guys! I'm new to your comment post. Have an interesting perspective as a Skins fan who has lived in Dallas for the last 22 years. I still take unmerciful grief. Everyone is debating the present players and the players we just picked up. What I want to know is what the Skins are doing to improve their conditioning and to help keep our players healthy and on the field? Seems to me, this is the biggest problem that has dogged this team for years. Maybe it's a Theismann curse. Whatever it is, it is costing us a lot of wins.

Posted by: Mzinger | April 26, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Capers is a poor man's Stephon Heyer.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 26, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse