Most of Bradford's visit with Redskins will occur Wednesday

Just to straighten the record a bit: When I spoke with him over the weekend, Sam Bradford said his visit with the Redskins was set for today.

In fact, he arrives in town today and is having dinner with coaches tonight, but the bulk of his visit will take place Wednesday at Redskins Park.

The Redskins did have Colt McCoy in town today, and his visit is apparently finished.
Obviously the Redskins aren't publicly pulling out of the draft's quarterback sweepstakes quite yet. We'll try to have more on this later.

Quarterback Tim Tebow and tackle Trent Williams are also expected to pass through Redskins Park later this week.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Rick Maese  |  April 6, 2010; 4:35 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft  | Tags: Colt McCoy, NFL, Quarterback, Sam Bradford, Sports, Tim Tebow, Trent Williams, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb doesn't waste any time getting into conditioning program
Next: Kelly, Thomas may benefit from working with McNabb

Comments

No thanks on Bradford, Clausen, Tebow...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 6, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Rabble rabble.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | April 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

When did Shanahan become an astute judge of QBs? When he inherited a hall of famer?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 6, 2010 4:15 PM |

A hall of famer that he groomed as Denver's QB coach. Shanahan has I am sure studied both QBs closely and has seen a lot more positives with McNabb than with Campbell. If there were any dissenting opinions among the league's talent evaluators then there probably would have been a trade offer of some sort for Campbell by now which there doesn't seem to have been. You need to pick better positions to blog, positions that have something to stand on, positions that have a chance of being accepted if argued the right way.

Posted by: FourthAndOne | April 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah Flound, my guess is that the 2000 yard rusher Elway had played a big role in helping him get over that SB hump...probably a bigger role than Shanny's QB coaching...

Posted by: p1funk"

This is posed as if Shanny didn't have a role in said rusher producing 2000 yards.

But I know you know his history with running backs too...

Posted by: psps23 | April 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes. I think it was brilliant of him to bring in Alex Gibbs who designed and installed the zone-blocking run game.

That's what great leaders do - they find people with excellent ideas and get them together and help them execute those ideas.

But now we are off the point. We were talking about what got Elway over the SB hump - and it wasn't really QB coaching.

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

alan4, be sure to pick up your pants on the way out.
Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 4:34 PM

Sure... and thanks for swallowing!
Posted by: Alan4 | April 6, 2010 4:38 PM

Sorry SNAGM but I had to re-post. This has to be one of the funniest RI retorts of all-time.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan believes in Competition?
What if Rex's playbook acumen beats out DM in the preseason?
I am sure Donovan still starts... but weirder sh-t has happened.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Why does Campbell's agent have to work out a trade. He has a contract. They have to pay him $3 million next year unless somebody offers them a trade. Don't do a thing. Show up at training camp. Keep your mouth shut (which is not a problem). Take the money and let Donovan take the hits. At first I thought it would be stupid for him to be the third string QB, but I changed my mind. When (and I do mean when) Donovan gets hurt, let Grossman take the second turn at taking those hits. Jason will last the season and get paid like a starter to sit on the bench and possibly carry the clip board. Don't bother going to one of those sorry teams to be the starter because it will be more crash dummy duty. Learn from Donovan how to be a great QB. Learn from Haynesworth how to be overpaid while under playing.

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM

This post is so good, I have to re-post! I hope someone inform JC. Thanks Carole5520 for sharing this brilliant idea, it beats some brain dead idiots i.e skinneedagm and his association of "stupid R' us"

Posted by: abxinc | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I figure that Jason Campbell will not find a trade partner, but instead get cut ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 6, 2010 4:33 PM

How would that work? He's looking at a tender of $3 million plus. If he signs it, do the 'Skins have to pay him even if they cut him -- i.e., is it guaranteed money? If they withdraw it before he signs it, then he becomes a UFA and I presume that the 'Skins would get a compensatory pick next year. If he signs and they cut him, they get nothing.

I'm still not sure why the 'Skins tendered him at first round level and not second.

Posted by: League-Source | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 4:48 PM

Agreed. I have always believed Elway got too much credit. TD was the reason for those Super Bowls.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 6, 2010 4:38 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:49 PM
==========
I laughed my as-s off too. Gave him props for it..
Never thought of it when I typed it in...

umm they say we judge others by ourselves...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

FourthAndOne, I don't put too much stock in NFL talent evaluators opinions of the QB position.

There have been enough busts in the top 10 picks at that position to dissuade me from any deference to their expertise.

I will give credit to Shanahan for getting the best out of his QBs, but I'm not convinced his evaluation of QBs
is any better than Gibbs--who also went pretty far with less talented QBQs.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 6, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Look, I might be less than thrilled with the trade, but Shanahan is a great offensive mind.

Elway got better with Shanahan as his coach. Thing is, McNabb is going from a very good coach to one that is probably modestly better. Do I expect McNabb to improve? Not really. Because I don't see the coaching as a huge difference and the team around McNabb isn't as good here in DC.

This is in contrast to Denver. Shanahan was a much better coach for Elway than Reeves or phillips.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 6, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Excerpt from Sam Bradford visit

"... and over here on your left, that is the Lincoln Memorial ..."

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 6, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

How many SBs did TD and Denver (and Shanny, too, for that matter) win after Elway retired?

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

League-Source - you gotta keep up with the posts. JReid said earlier today that there is no way the redskins get anything for jason campbell (including compensatory picks) unless he is traded and they gain picks that way. Otherwise, we get nothing. See post (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-campbell/jason-campbells-agent-explorin.html)

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | April 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Not saying Elway, but outside of Manning and Breese name me 5 other QB's that you would rather have..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Sure, not hard to name 5, but I couldn't name 10:

Brady
Rodgers
Schaub
Rivers
romo (OK, that one's mostly to tick you off)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 6, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

you get the jist though.. Better question, would you rather have Kevin Kolb? or JC?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 6, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Shannon Sharp (HOF), Rod Smith, and Ed McCaffrey didn't hurt, either.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 6, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

They could trade back in the draft and pick up picks, they could trade for picks.
Or they could pull a LT out of there a$$ for all I know, but I do know we won't know anything until the season starts and we see what the rest of the team looks like.

I'm not blessed with being able to see the future like Dies44. and a few others on here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 6, 2010 3:50 PM

It’s relatively easy.

Historical data remains the best way to forecast the future. We know how some of the more successful teams build consistent contenders (Pats, Colts, Steelers, Eagles, Giants) and we know how and why we have 2 winning seasons the last 10 years.

There are two ways you can come up with these assumptions or have an educated opinion about how to build a consistent winner. You can use historical data (rely heavily on the draft and slightly on FA) or what we’ve witnessed the last decade (rely heavily on FA, mix in a few picks and hope for divine inspiration).

Historical data maybe imperfect, but it remains the only unbiased way to measure risk and make assumptions about the future.

So…I’ll choose my method instead of yours and you continue to keep hoping that Shanny pulls a player out of his a$$..

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 6, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

At 33 (will be 34 in Nov), McNabb is not going to learn anything new from Shanny. He's not going to adjust mechanics or footwork or any of that crap. This dog is not learning new tricks.

What Shanny hopefully can and will do is design schemes and plays that will maximize McNabb's strengths.

If Shanny can provide some kind of consistent run game to prop up McNabb, then that would be ideal.

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

What do you guys think about getting T.O or Brandon Marshall???? Thoughts and ideas please...

Posted by: lerche1 | April 6, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lerche1 | April 6, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lerche1 | April 6, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Carole5520 | April 6, 2010 12:16 PM

Posted by: abxinc | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM

Please, JC will be cut on the final roster cut downs if the Skins are unable to get rid of him through a trade. That 3+mil will not be guaranteed. They will then get a comp pick next year IF someone picks him up.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 6, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 4:48 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 6, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Of course he did. He was the NFL sweetheart and it was a perfect storyline for the NFL that he won and repeated.

Not that Elway was some kind of bum, he was still playing at a pretty high level when he won the SBs, but there is no chance that we wins them without Terrel Davis and the run game leading the way.

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 6, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lerche1 | April 6, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's my thought: You only need to hit "Submit" once.

Posted by: p1funk | April 6, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

PSP... I had to do some actually work but looking back at your comment an hour or so ago about mine...

My point on Hicks which you harped on so much, is that if Hicks comes here, can't earn the starting role and is a backup on our oline... thats a bad thing. If he cannot beat out BMW for the RG spot... then he clearly is not that special and is about the same as what we had last year.

Moving back to Willie Parker. Yes, Willie 2 years ago was a speed back that would have fit in Shanny's system perfectly. Willie now? A step slower than average, afraid of contact, and afraid to take a run up the middle (he bounces every run outside, go watch games)... no he is not an upgrade over Betts or Rock. Again.... stop looking at the past. Look at the now please.

I didn't go thorugh the rest of your post because you clearly were too pissed off to actually read into what I was saying and instead focused on small, misquoted details of my post.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 6, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

lerche 1:

Remember TO and McNabb really don't like each other . . . or do you not remember a few years ago when he called out McNabb and left for Dallas. I am pretty sure Shanny isn't going to bring something like that to McNabb and the skins.

and, since you like to post in threes . . .

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | April 6, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse