Okung might be right fit for Redskins no matter who is weighing in on decision

With all the buzz around the league about the Redskins possibly drafting a quarterback, Coach Mike Shanahan still might address the offensive line with the fourth overall pick.

Michael Lombardi wrote an excellent piece about Washington's longtime interest in former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen and the potential ongoing role Vinny Cerrato, formerly Washington's executive vice president of football operations, might play in determining whether the team drafts Clausen.

Interestingly, Lombardi wrote that Cerrato is "still a consultant for the team." ProFootballTalk.com in December first reported Cerrato had been retained as a consultant, and the Redskins declined to comment when we asked about the report and whether Cerrato would have a continued role in the football operation.

Based on Lombardi's report, we again sought comment from the team about whether Cerrato remains on the payroll in some sort of advisory capacity. "We are not going to comment," team spokesman Zack Bolno wrote in a text message to a reporter. Cerrato did comment, texting, "No," after being asked whether he is a consultant.

So there you have it.

Regardless whether Cerrato has a major role in the process - or any role - owner Daniel Snyder expects the Redskins to acquire perennial Pro Bowl players when they draft in the top 10. Obviously, there's no way to guarantee a player will reach the Pro Bowl after one season, let alone make the team most years in their careers.

It appears, however, Oklahoma State tackle Russell Okung possesses the physical tools to become the type of player Snyder has coveted when selecting high in the draft. Okung measured at 6 feet 5, 307 pounds at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. He is considered a prototypical left tackle and one of the best prospects at the position in many years, league talent evaluators say.

As Insider readers know, we've repeatedly made our position clear on the organization's failure to address the problems along the line the past two seasons. While I was at dinner one night during the combine with Rick Maese and the NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, among others, a former Redskins coach stopped by our table just to say we were on point in everything we had written about the team's mistakes with the offensive line. Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels officially retired after the combine, so it would seem the Redskins could fill a huge need in drafting Okung, who is scheduled to travel to Redskins Park next week, according to a league source.

Shanahan is holding a high pick and has intriguing options. Unfortunately for the Redskins, many areas are in need of big upgrades.

By Jason Reid  |  April 1, 2010; 6:18 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , NFL Draft , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jimmy Clausen defends his reputation on the field and off
Next: Eric Berry's visit with Redskins continues

Comments

You guys may have been right about the offensive line but whatever former coach has been following your blog long enough to know you've been "on point in everything" is a former coach for a reason.

Posted by: AdamCr | April 1, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Okung or the next best OT with the number 4 pick, no QB!

Posted by: gr8fullted | April 1, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Well, I guess we'll be reading this Insider Insight -- "Snyder expects a perennial Pro Bowler with a high pick" -- a few more times before the draft. I must not fully appreciate how hard it was to pry this out of the Redskins.

And thanks for the new information about Okung! I hadn't realized he's 6' 5" and 307 pounds. I guess that's why you're able to conclude that "Okung might be right fit for Redskins no matter who is weighing in on decision."

Now that we've got the first round selection pinned down, what do your Insider connections tell you about the second round?

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody know if having a decent left tackle is key to pro football?

What about in the NFC east?

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 1, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato? Snyder? For Real? Why are there 4 paragraphs, essentially, about Cerrato's 'role' in this. And how many times will we read Snyder 'expects a perennial pro bowler', which I believe is a comment Cerrato made about Snyder 5 years ago (might be wrong on that).

We have new leadership. Not only is Cerrato not calling the shots, he is not influencing picks either. Oh, and Snyder is not making this pick either. Nice post.

Posted by: ECSkins | April 1, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Sean Taylor

RIP ST21

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 1, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

No to Cerrato, yes to Okung

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 1, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again Snyder covets pro bowlers with the top 10 pick, said in a way like thats bad. I guess the other owners who have a top 10 pick want bums who can't play.

More with Vinny can't you jag-offs realize that Vinny is gone, and will have as much say in who the Skins draft as I will.

As far as Okung goes are you telling us something we don't know, of course he should be the pick if he's there, but what if he's not then you better have made sure you've researched all the other players.

Thanks J-Reid for another outsider post full of BS and the obvious, can I please finish my bacon, egg and cheese now.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Somebody made the point yesterday that the #4 overall pick demands the best player at the position chosen. There's debate of course about who that player might be. QB - BRADFORD #1 or Clausen. FS - BERRY #1 or THOMAS. DT - Even SUH #1 or McCOY. But there is little genuine debate about OT - OKUNG being #1 at his position. Draft OKUNG if he's available.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

This is Shanny's pick plain and simple with a little help from Bruce Allen, Snyder will not be involved at all, he is not even going to the workouts like he used to.

Will Snyder want to continue down this road in the future is a different question. I think he has finally realized that if he truly wants to win that this is the way it's done.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Not drafting a left tackle with one of the first two picks will demonstrate the Redskins will have reached an equilibrium state of SNAFU.

Posted by: BigTrees | April 1, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid
---------------------------------------------

Bullsh!t!!...You 3 clowns have only have one point..."nothing" 3 fcuking coneheads at dinner..What you eat? proky pines? now thats a point.
The only time you hear anything is when Harvey talks to you. Have you been speaking with the dog again? you fcuking son-of-sam..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 1, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Precisely why he won't be there at #4.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 1, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Jeez... I'm at the point where I must pose a general question: Do people realize how incredibly lame and whiny they sound by continually criticizing the reporters here? Why don't they get some credentials, do some reporting and post their own floundering "league source" information somewhere else?

This isn't politics. This isn't military strategy. It's entertainment. If one is not getting anything from this forum, perhaps one should find something else do do. Take some meds. Write in a journal. See a therapist.

I'm just afraid the combination of these posts along with steaming bricks of bacon, egg and cheese is going to cause someone some intense coronary pain.

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

With the current dearth of offensive tackles on the roster, the team has to draft a few just to be competitive. I can't see anyone rationalizing it is a good move to have Stephon Heyer at left tackle to start the season. If the season started today, that is who would be the starting left tackle and if that isn't enough to make you want to draft a tackle first, then I don't know what would. You also need to consider that this team needs solid tackles because the starting tight ends are not great blockers. Any struggling tackle is not going to get much help from Davis or Cooley, and I don't think Shanahan wants two of his better receiving options tied up trying to stop the likes of Jason Tuck. Yes, they got Sean Ryan, but he is not going to be on the field all of the time. He's more of a short yardage substitution. So, it makes a lot of sense to load up at tackle in this draft.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM |

go back to sleep!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 1, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

glawrence, thank you, you made my point better than I could...

It is a deep draft for oline.

The only way we dont take Okung is this

He is taken before our pick

or someone wants to move into the 4 spot to pick him or someone else and will pay through the nose to do so.

Great thing is, Shanallahan has everybody guessing at what we do. Love the subterfuge....

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

People around the park have known for a long time that Shanahan wants to draft a young left tackle and "raise" him.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 1, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM
------------------------------------------
Mister Mayor, is that you???

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM |

Hey dummy the point of this blog is to get as many post as possible, so I'm sure they would rather have my 50 post bashing them then your 1 defending them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Precisely why he won't be there at #4.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 1, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

And precisely my point "IF he's available."

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 1, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Dear God, I hope that crap about Vinny still having some sort of input here is nothing short of flat wrong. With all the excitement surrounding the new regime, I hope Vinny isn't anywhere in the building muddying the waters.

And anyone who can't see the obvious connection between Vinny and Clausen truly is hopeless...it's kinda like the President giving a pardon to his own kid; anyone with common sense can see what that is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM

Didn't know JLC lets Leigh Torrance touch his computer, type softly Leigh! you might wake daddy.

Posted by: drewkinnear | April 1, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Floundering, so you're a nitwit for the health of the blog? I stand corrected.

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Amen, Diesel.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM
But you've got to admit the proky pines comment was pretty funny.

Posted by: wireman65 | April 1, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Want a bunch of sht this is! Weak reporting by the post. Do you really think Shanahan is going to listen to anything that Vinny got to say? This is just some weak reporting.

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

O-Lineman at #4 pick and O-Lineman with our pick in the 2nd round. We need to stock pile our weakest position.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | April 1, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | April 1, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Floundering, so you're a nitwit for the health of the blog? I stand corrected.

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 8:03 AM |

It's better then being an a-hole to the detriment of the blog.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but, just because Mike Lombardi said VC is still involved with the team doesn't make it true. And to run with that, is severly lacking in journalistic integrity. I mean, I realize its mike lombardi, and he said its true and all, but isn't there some type of sniff test on these types of things. New Coach. Check. New GM. Check. But somehow VC is still involved??

Sorry, that crap stinks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM

We only do it because we enjoy the half-wits who come along and tell us "do it yourself." Like, if a plumber does a bad job at your house, you should become a plumber.

Hey, Goldenthighs, do you realize how incredibly lame and whiny you sound complaining about the posts up here? Take some of your own medicine: If you don't like the posts, why don't you get some training and start your own blog where you can delete the posts you don't like?

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey, half the time a hamster posts the news before the blogger ever does.

60% of the time - it works EVERY TIME!

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 8:17 AM |

Hey Goldenthighs as they say on that 70's show: Burn

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

LOL Dik, well played.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Well 90% of this blog woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I guess. First day of sun in Connecticut in like a week, so I'm gonna keep it above the belt today.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 1, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Flounder, or Mr. Furst... I'm sorry I struck a nerve. I'm no journastic apologist, but really... if you just bash the messenger instead of discussing the TOPIC of this blog, how can you claim to be such a paragon of blog integrity? You're a silly baco-boy.
And this other guy getting all sputteringly profane about what these guys ate for dinner? Ridiculous.

And this might further diminish my "credentials" in your estimation, but I'll take my chances: OFFENSIVE LINE. OFFENSIVE LINE. OFFENSIVE LINE.

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

You must show me this person with these golden thighs.

MmmmmmmmHmmmmmmmm.... thighs

Posted by: RedDMV | April 1, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins2Win | April 1, 2010 8:08 AM
------------------------------------------
I hear you, but here's the thing: Okung might be gone at #4 and there's not enough separating the next level of OT's to warrant wasting a #4 on them, so I think you trade down (if there are any takers) and pick up your tackle at the bottom of the first. In the second round, if there is a developmental QB available like Tony Pike, I think you take them - especially if you are able to trade down and add a high round pick. After that, I think you go back to picking up a couple of more tackles. I could see them getting three tackles in this draft. All of the guys might not stay as tackles, but I think if you don't get Okung you have to go "quantity over quality".

Keep in mind that there's a good chance that whomever they pick to start at LT may not be ready at the start of the season, so spreading their chances might not be a bad idea. I would also like to see them get a little insurance on the open market which is why I thought LJ would be a no brainer.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Goldenfried,

You must be new this is what we do, if you don't like a particular poster it's with in your constitutional rights not to read what they posted.

Whinning about what someone else post will get you know where, and I did discuss the merits of the post it's basically a bunch of BS.

My 9 year old knows that the Skins should draft Okung if he's there. So stop worrying about what I post and enjoy your day.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Bean - I figured today is like your Christmas for the PFT posts...

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

RedD: These thigs?

How was the Post B-Day hangover, btw?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Redskin,

I agree I don't think you reach for a T at 4 if Okung is gone that pick should be traded if possible or used on something else.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

srrry.... bad link

this one should wurk...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Whats the word on Bryan Balauga(sp), if Okung/Suh are gone, I'm thinking this guy might be worth reaching for in the name of improving the OL...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Goldenfried,

What'd you eat for dinner?
Da Mayors crack-pipe?

quit sucking up?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey Bean,

Has your softball started yet, my girls have there first tournament next weekend I can't wait.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Don't kid yourselves...

DAN SNYDER IS MAKING THIS PICK!

It amazes me how you lemmings drink the Redskins Park Kool-Aid. Not only is The Danny making the pick, but Vinny is his right hand man and still officially retained as a "consultant"

A. The team would say he wasn't, but instead they say "No Comment"

B. LaVar reported this the day before Shanny was hired that Adam Schefter told him that the Shanny would be the new coach, and that Vinny was being retained as The Danny's right hand man in a non-public role...

IN OTHER WORDS... NOTHING HAS CHANGED... SHANNY AND BRUCE ALLEN ARE FIGUREHEADS... THAT IS ALL.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Okung might be gone at #4 and there's not enough separating the next level of OT's to warrant wasting a #4 on them...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 8:32 AM

Actually, I've seen Trent Williams going to us at #4 on more than one mock draft. I don't know enough about the guy to say whether that's a reach or not, but from what I've heard he's one of the most athletic LTs available and is a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme. So if Okung is gone (and I doubt he is), there's still a chance we go OL at #4.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 8:26 AM
------------------------------------------
Look, if you are going to hang your silly azz aloof comments out there, don't get your panties in a bunch if you get called out. Since I haven't seen you post up here before you are any of the following three: a) Some chicken masquerading under a different name because you've lost your credibility under your old name, b)You are someone who just started reading and thought you might impress all of his with how well you look down your nose at people or c) You are someone from the WP staff that thought you would stand up for the reputation of lazy journalists everywhere. Whatever the case may be, you have no credibility with me. Get over yourself and get off our blog.

BTW, I do agree with OFFENSIVE LINE comments.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

dik,

thats what we call 'Healthly Thighs'!

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

ryp, sorry bud, maybe its the lack of coffee but what are you suggesting, you've suggested something of this ilk previously, and I objected then as well....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM

Better get used to it, this place is full of miserable people.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

um... redact... 'HEALTHY THIGHS'

I can spell, dont hold it against me...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM |

Sports,

You crack me up your taking the word of Lavar who hates the Skins and Snyder, because he hired an agent who couldn't read.

Shanny is knowbody's figure head you were more interesting when you were spewing youre JC hate.

Did the kick you off of extremeskins?

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Redskin,

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

I'm torn on this one. The draft should be about maximizing your pick, and that means bringing in a guy who is going to make your roster better. But there are a couple of ways to do that.

First, you could fill a position of need (Weakest Link Theory). For instance, LT. If we were to take the 2nd best tackle in the draft, you have to think our entire offense would be better because it's 2nd most important position was filled.

Second, though, you could take a guy who is going to have maximum impact. For example, if we were to draft Suh, we would have a ferocious defensive front, which would likely mitigate some of the problems we have in the secondary. Or perhaps Berry can be the guy who protects and elevates Landry and Rogers.

Of the plausible scenarios, I think it is likely Suh/McCoy will be there, and if Okung is not, we should wait by the phone for offers, and if none come, book a DT and call it a day.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 1, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Bean, oh nothing at all...

Say, what do you know, it's April...

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 1, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

#4 pick and Devin Thomas to the Broncos for #11 pick and Brandon Marshall.

#37 pick to the Ravens for Jared Gaither.

#11 pick on best available OT.

All other picks used on LB corps.

FA - front-loaded 2 year deal for Darren Sharper.

Fix the other holes in next year's draft and FA, once we know what the cap is.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | April 1, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goldenfried | April 1, 2010 7:46 AM

Better get used to it, this place is full of miserable people.

Posted by: Rypien11

Ryp is this blogger new on your JReid police force?
Tell that rookie that PC sh!t don't work here...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 1, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey sports.... you think nothing has changed?

No high priced free agents... you are the only person (maybe other than LaVar) who thinks this...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM

I've seen that too. I've also seen where scouts are saying that Williams will be the best OT from this draft in three. Sorta like the Devin Thomas hype. I'm not sure about that in either cases. Anyways I wouldn't be surprised if Williams was the second OT taken.

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Geez, I knew "Sports_Guru" being gone was too good to last...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Flound, we had a practice about 2 weeks ago, then it was ark building time for the past 13 days. Might try and get together tomorrow afternoon as well.

I recall you said you have a tourney coming up soon, meant to send you a note on it. Good stuff...let me know how your crew does.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 1, 2010 8:47 AM |

matt,

It will be interesting if that scenario presents itself, but hopefully Okung is there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Saw Hot Tub Time Machine last night -- thought it was really funny. Anyone else seen it yet?

Posted by: mattylight | April 1, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

DS, no hangover because I didn't drink myself stupid the other night.

And yes, definitely thighs like Beyonce's...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 1, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

you are the only person (maybe other than LaVar) who thinks this...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 8:48 AM

Right...and I love how SG references LaVar's comments as if he's some kind of Insider...if anything, he's burned just about every bridge he has to Redskins Park.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

If Okung and Clausen are both there at No. 4 and the organization takes Clausen (or some other QB), what then are all you $nyder apologists going to be saying? The fact that there may be some new people in the front office is just a band aid on a deep knife wound until the Redskins announce their pick.

With that pick, we'll know everything we need to know about who is calling the shots at $nyder Park.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 8:39 AM

Posted by: TWISI | April 1, 2010 8:
__________________________________________

This all points to moving down and still being able to get a LT for years.

Read something somewhere that said Shanny and Allen are known for their ability to move down and get picks... lets hope that is the case. We need an infusion of young talent!

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Rams scrap plan to have "neutral" doctor look at Sam Bradford
Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2010 8:31 AM ET
For quarterback Sam Bradford, his shoulder has provided the biggest unknown in the weeks preceding the draft. The St. Louis Rams apparently believe that those concerns have been answered.

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams have scrapped plans to have a "neutral" doctor take a look at the ball-and-socket in Bradford's torso.

"At that point, [the shoulder) was such a big question mark," Devaney said Wednesday, per Thomas. "Since then, we've talked to so many people that have looked at him from other teams. And our doctors -- they've gone over him with a fine-tooth comb -- we're completely satisfied. We don't need a follow-up."

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

We Interrupt this blog for a special report... "Redskins need lineman" Live from somewhere in Virginia I'm Jason Reid.

Give us something more please, anything. I will even settle for:

Why the Redskins chose their team colors?
Billy vs Sonny.
Where is Timmy Smith now?
What is Alvin Walton doing?
Why Clinton wearing shin guards and why his socks are cut off at the ankle (they are)

ANYTHING BUT the trash that is getting thrown against the wall.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 1, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

velo, if they take Clausen then you'll get a mea-culpa from me. I was wrong about MKelly, Betts vs. Bradshaw, and signing AH. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. Picking Clausen at #4=disaster in my mind, MUCH more so than any of the other things I've been wrong on.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:
posted at 9:00 am.

Michael Lombardi has confirmed that Daniel Snyder was able to put verbiage into Bruce Allen's contract that allows Vinny Cerrato to make the first selection in this year's draft.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 1, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

ha fried... its even from the future... love it

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 8:57 AM

Mind made up already? Me, I'm waiting to hear the chatter after Clausen has his Pro Day. [If he has already had it and the heavenly choirs aren't singing his praises then I'm with you.]

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Fredie, you may wanna leave the faux--I mean, real---PFT posts to Greg. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 1, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:
posted at 9:00 am.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 1, 2010 8:59 AM

Sounds like Bruce Allen and LaVar Arrington had the same agent.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

fred, I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit...that's an abomination...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

JREID -- THANKS!!!

You take a bunch of crap on here unnecessarily. I guess that comes with with the territory. But, thanks for checking up on the Cerrato thing. We were talking about Lombardi's story yesterday on here and (in my John Madden voice) BOOM! you clear things up in your next post as much as the Redskins and Cerrato will allow. So, thanks for reading our comments and doing the leg work. Bravo.

Keep getting it.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

JREID -- THANKS!!!

Keep getting it.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 9:04 AM |

April Fools!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

LS;

Does a pro day where the QB has no line checks or blitz pickups or hot read etc... really gonna sway your mind on that?

Pro days are the ultimate softball. Just like JC going to throw to MK#12 to see if they could play catch as a reason to draft him.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is still a consultant? That should be a post in and of itself.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 1, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

How about a scenario where we take the best available QB on the board and trade him to another team for a bonafide established LT.

...is that a possibility anywhere? With whom?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 1, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

vinny is as much a consultant for this team, as I am a male model for GQ, as well as on the payroll of PFT...

Anyone who thinks this is in ANY way shape or form true, needs their head examined.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Snyder is going to be involved in the draft processes... he signs the checks!

And it's not going to chump change for the top LT or QB selected with the #4 pick.

Posted by: siris | April 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Pro days are the ultimate softball.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:07 AM

BS. If they were "the ultimate softball" then every scout would say after every pro day "This is the best I've seen." There's a big difference in their reactions to Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy.

Posted by: League-Source | April 1, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think if Okung is taken by the LIONS; its a must to trade up for more picks and may pan out better than what many of you think;

this is the deepest draft in yrs as far as good guality tackles that will be available:

trade #4 overall for 6 picks, which would be the scenario below:

two- 1st round picks (19 overall & 28 overall)
two- 2nd round picks
one- 3rd round pick
one- 5th rounder pick; which may give us the following:

19th overall can land us; (OT) Bruce Campbell (6”7; 314 lbs) from MD
28th overall can land us; (OT) Charles Brown from USC (6’5; 303 lbs)
*two good quality tackles; almost guaranteed starters.

then with two second rounders, we can get a QB like Colt McCoy, Dan Lefevour or a RB, LB etc.

if SHANNALLENHAM, work something out, this could be a great scenario!

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

And yes, definitely thighs like Beyonce's...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 1, 2010 8:53 AM

---------

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | April 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

JREID -- THANKS!!!

Keep getting it.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 1, 2010 9:04 AM |

ah Dude, it's April Fools. Cerrato is no where close to the building.

btw is your Refrigerator running?
Can you please ask if Mike Hunt is around?

Dork

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 1, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:
posted at 9:00 am.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 1, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

ahem...please note the date on that post.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

LS,

Manning, Peyton had the worst pro day apparently. So while there might be different reactions, they are barely a barometer on how a QB will perform on the next level.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Has the Post written a thread about Okung coming in for a visit? Did I miss it?

CSN reported last night that Okung will be visiting the Skins.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 1, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

slv... who has those picks?

no one. there are no 3 team trades in the nfl... we could get a 1 and 3 from someone, but i doubt a team will mortgage their entire draft on one pick...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The continuous debate about L/T vs.Q/B is growing both old & tired. Wish the draft was today so this discussion could end already.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | April 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

slv... who has those picks?

Posted by: Zeebs | April 1, 2010 9:25 AM |

Zeebs; I'm not sure if you're aware about the NFL draft chart that shows what the value is for every single pick.

a #4 overall is worth 1800 points; if someone is interested badly in Clausen or Berry will sure can offer you the world, I wouldn't rule this out.

my pick overall order maybe off a little bit, for sure we can get a 27th and 31st overall picks in the first round, and get more that what something is worth if a team is desperate, we can definitely get that amount of picks with a 3 way trade with other teams picks that can multiply.

check this out what each pick is worth.

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

This is the dumbest #$%^ ive ever heard....cerrato is still an idiot. will always be an idiot. PERIOD.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | April 1, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: unknownsouljah | April 1, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"If" and that's a big if.,,,Okung is siting there at number 4, Shanny and Allen will draft him.
But I don't think he will be on the board.

Posted by: dashriprock | April 1, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

You get Okung or trade the pick for a bunch and get linemen in later rounds. They don't have a starting line NOR quality depth right now. You can't get a stud, you gotta get quality bodies.

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 1, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

whoever the OT tackle we draft is, please do not go with Bruce Campbell. No more Maryland tackles! They suck. I know we had great success with an undrafted lineman in the past (20+ years ago), but the Heyer experiment should be deemed an utter failure! It's left a bitter taste in my mouth that makes me never want to draft from Maryland OR to use undrafted players in critical roles ever again.
I really hope we get Okung. I just like saying his name. Fans can have fun with his name on their signs, too...like "King Kung to the rescue"
What plays off his name can you come up with?

HTTR

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 1, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Reid is a clown. He writes like a high school sophomore who got turned away from the student newspaper staff.

Even mentioning the possibility of Vinny being involved in any capacity is simple antagonistic journalism against the team because nobody in Redskins Park respects him enough to give him any insider information.

JReid, if you believe VC is still in the picture, you're the only one walking the earth that feels that way with the possible exception of Mrs. Cerrato (His mother, not his wife).

I have never seen such incapable reporting/blogging/blithering whatever you want to call it. But wait! An "Unnamed source" told you you were right about the O-line! Congratulations Slow-Boy, I bet you could guess a coin flip half the time too.

As a DC sports fan and longtime WP reader, I can only hope that the Post is looking to "Draft and raise" a new RI beat reporter.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 1, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

19th overall can land us; (OT) Bruce Campbell (6”7; 314 lbs) from MD

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 9:15 AM

I'm a Terp guy who watch them all year. I certainly didn't see a 1st round draft pick in our offensive line. It wasn't until the so called experts started touting Campbell that we knew who he even was. Just goes to show... don't trust your eyes or don't trust everything you hear.

Posted by: Sonny9 | April 1, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

All of you people picking apart everything the writers type are extremely annoying. Please stop and get a life. You are not clever, you are not funny, and you are not going to get a job here by doing that. Could you spare us please it's really old. If you do not like something stop reading it. Stop allowing your miserable lives spill into football talk.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 1, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato is only consulting on historical matters. I guarantee you Shanny doesn't want to hear what he has to say about current operations.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 1, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is a workout warrior and combine guy, his play on the field in GAMES doesn't demonstrate the type of consistent excellence and dominance that warrants a pick in the first round.

The Redskins and Shanahan would be foolish to do anything other than draft Okung.

He is a lot closer to 100% than Clausen as a prospect and LT is a more difficult position to fill than almost any other.

Berry? Super Bowl teams like NO and Indy find safeties late in the draft or as veteran free agents.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 1, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Consultant" is just another name for the golden parachute Vinny got from Snyder.

Go Okung!!!

If the Skins listened to their fans every year for the draft, we would have one hell of a team :)

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 1, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Danny + Vinney + Pickell = Funtime tickle fights in the sauna?

Posted by: Spanglerg | April 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks and have a nice day!

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 1, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Lighten up Francis. We're just trying to hold the Post accountable, not get a job.

Try to imagine those days when your Mom comes down to your "Apartment" in her basement and asks you to please stop leaving your Dungeon and Dragons game lying around her upstairs living room. It's kind of like that. Only different.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Snyder expects a perennial Pro Bowler with a high pick"
______
Isn't this what Snyder "expected" when he threw a ton of money at Haynesworth last year??? Nothing is a sure thing.. Let Shanahan decide if Clausen can be a franchise QB.. I can forgo the pro bowl this year if we can get a franchise QB for the next 10 to 15 years!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | April 1, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Trade the pick, get lower rounds that cost less, the draft is deep. Regardless, only draft Offensive Lineman, Offensive Lineman, Offensive Lineman. And then get a free agent RB to push the old geezers in camp. Dear God, if these knuckle heads are running for us in December, we are done for.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | April 1, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The skins should take the best available player, regardless of position. They need help everywhere.

Take whoever of Suh/Okung/McCoy/Bradford is available.

Posted by: Kidhorn | April 1, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09
____
So Campbell dominates during PRACTICE but in GAMES where it COUNTS he doesn't??? Yeah let's keep that guy. I mean who cares if we win Campbell looks great on the PRACTICE FIELD!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | April 1, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Redskin,

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 1, 2010 8:36 AM

+++++++

The problem with that thinking is that, if we don't take the next best available OT at #4 because it's not a "good value", then KC, Seattle and Oakland will probably take OT at number 5,6 and 8. So why is it such a great value for them and not us at #4?

There are several highly rated OT's that are great values as first round picks. I don't have a problem with them taking Bulaga at #4.

Bradford, Okung/Bulaga, McCoy/Suh - they are all good picks, they will all be high impact players. God knows we could use a few more high impact players on this team.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

19th overall can land us; (OT) Bruce Campbell (6”7; 314 lbs) from MD

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 9:15 AM

Everything about Bruce Campbell is VERY impressive - height, weight, speed, bench press, chiseled physique - except for his game films. He is not anywhere near as good as his measurables and has first round bust tattooed across his forehead.

Better to skip on down to Davis, Brown or Saffold. I hope Saffold is still there for us in the second round. He would be a great second round pick up.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

edvar; the OT class this year is very deep, it doesn't have to be Campbell;

I went to a few MD games this year he seem pretty solid to me, but if is not him, like I said there are many to choose from; but my point is we can make good use of two later 1st round picks if we get out of the #4 over all; plus a couple late 2nd rounders, we can get a Jon Janson or Derick Dockerry, you never know.

that is if we get out of #4 and get back some of the many picks, bonehead Vinny Cerrato gave away. the two second rounders he gave away for Jason Taylor and Archuleta etc would have been help, ughhhh!

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

edvar; the OT class this year is very deep, it doesn't have to be Campbell;

that is if we get out of #4 and get back some of the many picks, bonehead Vinny Cerrato gave away. the two second rounders he gave away for Jason Taylor and Archuleta etc would have been helpful, ughhhh!

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

edvar; the OT class this year is very deep, it doesn't have to be Campbell;

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

edvar; the OT class this year is very deep, it doesn't have to be Campbell;

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

edvar; the OT class this year is very deep, it doesn't have to be Campbell;

Posted by: slvtruco21 | April 1, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Left Tackle, end of story.

Posted by: jmy999 | April 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Left Tackle, end of story.

Posted by: jmy999 | April 1, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Duh... this should be a no-brainer - but the fact that Vinnie may be involved is enough to skew any perception of common sense or needs analysis - who knows, with Vinnie weighing in, we might just go get another tight end. I hope someone sees the needs of this team and finally addresses them - someone - anyone, send Vinnie out to pick up pizza or something he can handle - keep him out of any draft process.

Posted by: whelms1 | April 1, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

May and Grimm in the first and second rounds, bring in Bostic and Jacoby as free agents and keep veteran Starke to anchor line, what followed, a decade of excellence! Draft Okung number 1, get the best lineman available in round 2, bring in as many free agent linemen as you can and try to find a couple of diamonds in the rough, keep your veteran center to anchor the young line. It's not brain surgery, Beathard left a blueprint! Don't try to reinvent the wheel Allen and Shanahan, stick with plan!

Posted by: JAMNEW | April 1, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid
---------------------------------------------

Well, according to the archive RI was started in 2006. The only Redskins coaches since then have been Joe Gibbs and Jim Zorn. Since Gibbs was heavily involved with personnel acquisition and is friends with the Danny, I doubt he would say anything about that and he wasn't even at the combine. Now if you were talking about a coach before the blog started, Spurrier is in college, Marty is retired so that leaves Norv. I don't see why Norv would care about what you guys say on this blog so by process of elimination, it must have been Zorn. Zorn has every right to badmouth this franchise and hasn't done it in public, but he seems to be ok with doing it in private.

Posted by: mja712 | April 1, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

No question in my mind. If Okung is there at #4, take him!!

Posted by: drischord | April 1, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Okung is the no-brainer pick at #4, IMO. I figure we got incredibly lucky last year, when our coveted guy, Orakpo, fell to the 8th slot, and we were able to instantly nab him, so this year, maybe the dice rolls the other way and Detroit or somebody takes Okung. If it happens, so be it. Baluga (sp?) also sounds great, if a little high for the 4 pick.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 1, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse