Redskins, as of now, still will sit out rounds 2 and 3 of NFL draft

As it stands now, after selecting former Oklahoma offensive lineman Trent Williams with the fourth overall pick the Redskins will not pick again until the fourth round - No. 103 overall.

The Redskins traded their second-round pick to Philadelphia as part of the deal for quarterback Donovan McNabb, and they used the third-round pick to select Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft last July 16.

On Thursday night, Coach Mike Shanahan said the team had no immediate plans to move up into the second or third round and thus may not pick again until Saturday.

"We did get our pick, it's Donovan, so I feel very good about our pick, that's our second round pick," Shanahan said. "No that's our second round pick. You never know what's going to happen. You always talk, you communicate and we'll always do that. But we're not going to give up the farm to get a second round draft choice.

"We gave up a pick to get Donovan, feel very good about what he's done in his short time here and I think we know what he's done throughout his career to warrant us bringing him in and he's not disappointed me he's just encouraged me. So I'm looking forward to our next mini camp and getting a chance to evaluate our players some more. But as I mentioned I'm very happy about my first mini camp here, the attitude and the direction our football team is going and hopefully we can keep on improving in that area and get ready for this [season]."

The Redskins have reportedly been shopping several veterans and Shanahan gave permission for quarterback Jason Campbell to seek a trade. Asked if there has been any progress in moving Campbell, Shanahan said there was no news yet to report - at least publicly.

"Yeah, I'm not going to go down that direction," Shanahan said. "There are always people inquiring, nothing has been finalized at this time. There have been a lot of people talking, that's part of the process, when I know something obviously I'll share with you guys."

By Paul Tenorio  |  April 22, 2010; 10:55 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trent Williams on NFC East's defenses
Next: Shanahan: Williams is a natural for zone-blocking scheme

Comments

I wonder if the new regime thinks Jarmon for a 3rd is such a great deal?

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 22, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

But no matter what you do, you can't out do doing the right thing: drafting a lineman in the 1st round.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Amen and goodnight.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 22, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Despite ceaseless speculation and rumors, don't expect Jason Campbell or Albert Haynesworth to be traded. The FO have played their hand about as bad as it can be played.

(BIG) If any of these two players do get traded, you can bet all the value will go to the other team. Knowing that, I have to assume that Shanallen won't pull any triggers on the low ball offers we receive.

We were a 4-12 team, so quite honestly I'd prepare for nobody to bail us out and trade for one of our 4-12 players.

As long as you had no expectations of recouping any picks before the 6th round, you, like I, won't be surprised or upset with this fact!

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 7:02 PM

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to get some additional picks, but at least this suggests that we're not going to just give Haynesworth away, say, for a single 2nd or 3rd, if we're going to trade him at all. I say that's a good thing. Our defense has too few playmakers to just give one away for peanuts.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

be nice if they could get a second for Haynesworth and land Clausen still

Posted by: graywolf323 | April 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow night is round 2 and 3.

Posted by: stevek20147

===================

You're right. My bad. It begins at 6:30, right? Ok, my point being ... The skins have time to tonight, tomorrow and the entire 2nd round (to see who drops to the 3rd round) to swing a deal. I still don't think the Lions are out in terms of acquiring Hanesworth. I think Martin Mayhew (remember him?) is giddy at the idea of putting Suh and AH together at DT. He's seen how effective in can be in Minnesota with the Williams twins, IMO.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

If we get a 2nd for Hworth, we take it... dude has bad attitude and can become a locker room cancer... Take the 2nd and run as fast as you can

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | April 22, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

be nice if they could get a second for Haynesworth and land Clausen still

Posted by: graywolf323 | April 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Should be obvious that GM's don't want CLAUSEN, Thirty minds can't all be wrong.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 22, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The Skins want to win now. Trent will play right away. Keeping AH makes sense because he should have a good year this year. They got those old RBs because they think they can play well this year.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 22, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I REALLY wish we had at least 1 pick in the 2nd or 3rd round! McNabb is DEFINATELY worth a 2nd... probably a 1st! Jarmon showed promise and seems to be worth a 3rd. So why is it so hard to get over the fact that we have no picks in these rounds? Why do I find myself hoping for a trade? I dont know why but I do know that there are a couple unhappy players on the team that I wouldnt mind trading for a fresh, team player that will only do what is asked of him!!!

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | April 22, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I know this is painfully obvious by now (well, a long time ago), but Shanahan does a lot of talking for the team. Almost like Allen has no purpose at all.

Posted by: jctichen | April 22, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Another thing thats bad about acquiring veteran players is they think they are owed something. Like they have some say or special power b/c they r veterans. Rookies just shut up and go to work. THANK GOD VINNY IS GONE!!!! HAIL!

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | April 22, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Redskins, as of now, still will sit out rounds 2 and 3 of NFL draft

Oh really! What other choices do we have?

Posted by: abxinc | April 22, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

be nice if they could get a second for Haynesworth and land Clausen still

Posted by: graywolf323 | April 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

be nice for who? You and your personal love for Clausen? You actually want to give Haynesworth away for Clausen? Wow!

Posted by: abxinc | April 22, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Ha. Clausen not selected at all in the first round. Even by teams that need a QB.

I guess that "bad attitude" of his is more than just rumor-mongering.

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | April 23, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

if we could trade haynesworth for a second rounder and pick up taylor mays, i think that is a better long term plan for our D. lions might bite per previous post as fat al and suh would be a pretty sweet set up for them on d-line. actually, the more i think about it, the less excited i would be about facing that lions team with those 2 dudes next year... though fat al would take at least a quarter off in the locker room.

Posted by: dcalize | April 23, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Let's cut the crap.

It isn't the fault of the current coaching and management staff that we are stuck with Fat Albert and Nice Guy Campbell. They were the results of idiots and has beens. Perhaps we could have taken it up the keister to offload Fat Albert just to get rid of him - or - perhaps that fat arse can learn how to man up and to do his JOB like all the other players! I like that Allen and Shanny aren't taking crap from these players.

As for Nice Guy Campbell - it isn't surprising he didn't get offloaded (yet). He's a backup quarterback at best. He couldn't motivate a suicide jumper to jump. He's methodically mediocre in release and reading defenses. High percentage dump off passes are his game - not because his line sucked - but because he is a slug when it comes to making decisions. Whether through poor coaching or being blatantly stupid, Campbell just doesn't have the ability to make defenses fear him.

Maybe toward the end of pre-season the Skins can offload either when injuries from training camp claim the usual victims. But let us be thankful that we aren't acting desperate even when we have garbage that needs to be removed.

Posted by: laserwizard | April 23, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Whatever eventually happens to Fat Albert and Campbell, this team is going to have a different look and feel to it. Hopefully the O-Line will be shaped up a little more, mainly for depth.

On offense, it looks like Shanny is going to stick with his stretch play/zone blocking system, though I was not so sure at first, when they picked up LJ. In spite of the backs being older than you would like, I think it can be an effective combo. Parker as the main back, Portis as a change of pace/3rd down back and LJ in for short-yardage and goal line situations. The Skins have had this work in the past with Byner/Ervins/Riggs. No reason it cannot work again if there is a functional O-Line. Not to mention this has been the league trend the last three years or so.

The passing game will be much more sophisticated and the reads and deliveries much quicker with McNabb. I forsee a lot more quick-hitting slant patterns and bubble type screens that can utilize the WR's speed (Moss) and size (Kelly). The TE's I think will get a lot of work and I would not be too surprised to see a lot of two TE sets and 2nd and 3rd and longs. Shanny has never had two such talented receiving TE's before and I am sure he will not waste that potential.

On defense, there will be a lot more rotation than before, especially as Haslett will be mixing up fronts and packages a lot more then Blache ever did. I figure it will somewhat closer to what G Williams did, but probably a little less blitz-happy. One of the real keys is if Doughty can man the free saftey spot on a consistent basis (or the Skins pick one up in the draft or FA) allowing Landry to move back to his natural SS spot.

Also, for all the talk about the O and D lines, one thing that has sort of slipped through the cracks lately are special teams. They still need a good return man for punt and especially kickoffs and also need a consistent placekicker. Gano did pretty well at the end of the season, but that was too brief a look to really know if he is the answer. His kickoffs were encouraging, though. Granted, that should be shaken out by the end of training camp, I hope. I would not them to be caught short with a mediocre teams squad.

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | April 23, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

If u can get a 2nd for A H then try to get Bama"s Big DT...forget his name. Or DE Carrington Ark St. Cam Thomas DT UNC.
Jon Ashmoah G Ill

My Sleepers i would like to have......
DT Nate Collins UVA
Vic Hall WR/PR UVA
Skinner S MD
Eric Norwood ILB USC *** not really a sleeper
WR Reed Utah

Posted by: toons123 | April 23, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Jon Ashmoah G Ill... a 4th for Campbell is fine wit me

My Sleepers i would like to have......
DT Nate Collins UVA
Vic Hall WR/PR UVA
Skinner S MD
Eric Norwood ILB USC *** not really a sleeper
WR Reed Utah
Iowa's Calloway RT.......

Posted by: toons123 | April 23, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Considering TB just got a 7th for Leftwich, it seems likely the skins will get no better than a 5th for Campbell. This probably will not come to a resolution before Sunday.

This years draft recap including trades:
1st OT Williams
2nd QB McNabb
3rd DE/DT Jarmon from last season supp.
4th?
5th Carriker & player to be drafted
7th?

A nice offseason for the new guys. Two new tackles (Williams & Hicks). Now Heyer can go back to being a backup or compete for the RG spot. We have a legit starting QB with proven track record.

Then we basically get Carriker for next to nothing. Haslett really wanted him. Perhaps there will be something there. Hopefully Jarmon will continue to develop. He looked promising before getting hurt. A year better?

I don't know if everything will work, but its starting to take shape.

Posted by: jimc93 | April 23, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

"with McNabb, I forsee a lot more quick-hitting slant patterns and bubble type screens. . ."

That assumes McNabb's passes are accurate.

However, right now I'd rather be a Redskins fan than a Broncos fan. They now have three quarterbacks, with Orton signed only for one year. Quinn's making $700,000, so he's toast after 2011, I'd guess. It's Tebow or bust out there.

Someone out in Broncos land says the team underperforms during the season but makes the most noise of any NFL team during the offseason, thanks to the brash opportunism of newcomer McDaniels.

Where have we heard that before? Hope those days are long gone around here. With Shanahan, I suspect they are.

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 23, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I think that should change now that Clausen is still on the board.. Rams pick first tonight.. they have their QB but need a DT. Shanahan wanted to trade Haynesworth to Philly for McNabb.. Shanahan still wants to trade AH. Would the Rams take AH for their pick?? I said before the Skins 2 needs were LT and franchise QB.. in that order. Well they have their LT.. they might still be able to get Clausen.. they should try...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007
------------------------------
Like in the case of Tom Brady? Please.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

be nice if they could get a second for Haynesworth and land Clausen still
Posted by: graywolf323 | April 22, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007
_____
Oh yeah in 2001 Vick was the first QB taken.. Brees wasn't taken untill the 2nd round... 30 minds can't be all wrong??? graywolf323 is RIGHT!!! Clausen falling was a gift the Skins should grab him if they can...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Credit to BA & MS for establishing a value for AH and sticking to it.

AH is an elite player still in his prime; his value is clearly worth more than a single draft pick.

We've had a lousy team loaded with people (coaches, management & players)who had no clue how to compete for far too many years.

BA & MS enter the picture, already they've cleaned up some of the house. Coaches & players have been moved, added, and a plan is in place. Over he summer the scouting staff will be revamped. The culture and attitude within the organization is changing. The owner is no longer the face or voice of the club. That's progress. And there's more to come.

I'm patient, we're still early in the process. If BA & MS can get in on the action tonight without giving up on whatever assets a 4-12 club had, or weakening what's in place now, great but failing that, I can wait for tomorrow.

Posted by: psssst | April 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jctichen | April 22, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse
-----------------
I think it is apparent that MS is making the final personnel decisions, but I'm sure Allen is part of the process. Allen is going to be more of the contract and cap guy, since that is his strength. Yea, not the traditional way, but these guys are smart and I am confident (praying) it will work. It's alot better than Snyder/Cerrato making the decision, no?

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | April 23, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

OT was the right move period. ShanAllen thought Williams had a better upside than Okung and we will see how that plays out the next few seasons. I am continually suprised at nay sayers who feel that any move the Skins make resembles a Dan Synder and the last 90 years of his reign. Bruce Allan and Mike Shanahan are calling the shots - so until their moves don't pan out they should be given the benfit of the doubt. Even the older players that have signed LJ and W Parker have incentive based contracts so that if they don't play and have an impact they get paid little. That in it self shows that things have changed for the better!

Posted by: skins10 | April 23, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Is Minnesota's pick late in the 2nd round worth it for Haynesworth? Word is that Pat Williams is retirng and Haynesworth would be logical replacement given their schems. I still don't think that a lot to got for a guy who can be a dominating defensive presence, but he's likely to be a cancer if remains a Redskin.

As for Campbell, he has not trade value at this point with McNabb installed as the starter. IF a team suffered an injury to their starter during preseason, he might be an option as a backup. What is very clear is that no one thinks he can come in and chanllenge for a starting job or they would have made the Redskins a decent offer of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I suspect JC will have to go to mini-camp and training camp before the Redskins could meet his request to be traded.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 23, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

We have only 2 players worth a 2nd round pick in trade - Cooley and Haynesworth.

Honestly, there's no one we're likely (its always possible I guess) to get that will contribute more.

I dont think the Jamall Brown (NO) thing is over either - if we could get him for LT and put TW on RT - that would be pretty amazing.

Posted by: mac2j | April 23, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89
____
Matters what Minnesota pick. The Vikes traded picks with the Lions yesterday and they hold the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.. IF Shanahan does want a QB for the future.. say Clausen... he should be able to get him with that pick.

Posted by: sovine08 | April 23, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

What about AH & JC for both of the Vikings 2nds? (they could throw in TJ for kicks)It's not sexy but it kinda fair.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | April 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Bills and Browns are interested in the Rams 33rd pick so they can go after either McCoy or Clausen. No one is even remotely interested in the bum Jason Campbell. And he was supposed to be our franchise QB....go figure.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | April 23, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone thought about the idea of Campbell taking a step back and being McNabb's backup???

I think Campbell is better than Grossman....so the issue is whether Campbell could swallow having to sit on the bench and learn from Donovan...it could help him realize his flaws and actually learn to become a real NFL Quarterback.

You have to think this is a real possibility......as Campbell would be lucky to get 3+ Million from another team for a year.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | April 23, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

UDERWHELMING IS ABOUT ALL I CAN SAY. 'SKINS MORTGAGED THE FUTURE FOR THE PRESENT....SAME OLE SAME OLE

Posted by: wagenstill | April 24, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

UNDERWHELMING IS ABOUT ALL I CAN SAY. 'SKINS MORTGAGED THE FUTURE FOR THE PRESENT....SAME OLE SAME OLE

Posted by: wagenstill | April 24, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse