Redskins could opt to go with Russell Okung, Tim Tebow in first 2 rounds

Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen recently said the coaching staff has reviewed every play in which all of the players on the roster have participated since joining the Redskins.

Well, if Coach Mike Shanahan has seen what we've all been watching for the past several seasons, the offensive line jumped out on film as the Redskins' most glaring weakness. That's why Washington's supposed interest in Tim Tebow would make sense.

Shanahan would prefer to draft quarterback Sam Bradford, many league sources believe, but the former Oklahoma Sooners star could be chosen No. 1 overall by the St. Louis Rams. Former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen figures to be available when the Redskins, who currently hold the fourth overall pick, make their first selection.

But most draft prognosticators believe that would be way too high for any team to choose Clausen. So if Bradford is off the board and the Redskins pass on Clausen, perhaps they would draft someone such as Russell Okung from Oklahoma State and finally begin the process of overhauling the line, which is long overdue.

Shanahan wants to draft a young quarterback and "raise him," league sources have told us since before Shanahan had officially been introduced as the Redskins' new leader. Of course, with all of Washington's roster deficiencies, Shanahan could use the team's picks in this draft (the Redskins do not have selections in the third and sixth rounds) on other positions and go the quarterback route in the 2011 draft.

Or, he could take a long look at Tebow, which appears to be what he's doing. Perhaps the Redskins' are simply playing the misdirection game, which, from what we hear, Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen do well and enjoy.

On the other hand, Shanahan probably has better things to do than hang out in Gainesville, Fla., and reminisce about his days in the early 1980s as a rising young offensive coordinator under then-Gators head coach Charley Pell. Shanahan is part of the Redskins' contingent in Orlando for the owners' meetings, but if he really had no interest in Tebow, Shanahan could have just intstructed one of his many underlings to write an evaluation of Washington's private workout.

There has been some buzz that Tebow suddenly could race up draft boards because of the change in his throwing mechanics. Stranger things have happened, and there's certainly a sense of fascination about Tebow, at least among football fans. An assistant coach of another team that is intrigued about the potential of Tebow as an NFL quarterback recently told me most player-personnel officials have assigned an early-to-late-second-round grade to Tebow. The Redskins currently hold the fifth pick in the second round (37th overall), so unless Tebow suddenly made an unexpected move into the first round, the Redskins might be able to get a franchise-caliber tackle and a quarterback - albeit one who is considered a project - with their first two picks.

Obviously, Shanahan could go in a totally different direction with both picks. With the offensive line in need of much help, however, and the Redskins apparently not committed to Jason Campbell long term, they could do worse than Okung and Tebow in the draft's opening two rounds.

By Jason Reid  |  March 23, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen , Jason Reid , Mike Shanahan , NFL Draft , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins miss out on offensive lineman Sims
Next: Redskins sign punter Josh Bidwell

Comments

Go Okung in the FIRST round, get another OT in the 2nd round. Get the QB in 2011.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I didn't think so many people would vote for the Okung/Tebow combo. Is that just because Okung is the 1st round pick or do people up here REALLY like Tebow enough to bank on him as our franchise QB?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes to Okung. No to Tebow. What Brownwood said....

Posted by: smurff1 | March 23, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

In my case, strictly because of OKUNG.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

I agree 100%

Posted by: PEIL | March 23, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

No Tebow..in the 2nd round at least..but a lower round like 5th he may be worth a chance...he has won and the odds are all Florida QB's can't fail..one might be good in the NFL.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Totally don't see Tebow being pick by us or anyone else in the 2nd round. I think this is all about throwing something towards the wall and hoping it sticks.

Posted by: jm220 | March 23, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan is looking at Tebow because Shanny wanys a quarterback at some point and he is doing his due diligence in looking at the top QB choices.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

They only provided us with two choices and we are selecting the best situation.

Now if they would have said:

3.) Select Okung and someone else

I would have picked that one

BTW........There was no:

4.) "None Of The Above"

Posted by: shy_washington | March 23, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

To me the draft at this point looks like this:

BRADFORD
OKUNG
SUH
???? - REDSKINS

In that event, McCOY or BERRY are the two best available, and we all know both are defensive players. I would take one of the two as the best available, and deal later for a player on offense from another club. As a last resort, I keep the defensive player, and pick high again in 2011.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 7:39 AM

Tebow is going to be playing in Jacksonville. It's an economic imperative for that franchise. He doesn't have as much value to any other team in the league. If the Redskins should somehow get him with their second pick -- and I don't think he'll last that long -- then Jacksonville will trade for him.

Posted by: League-Source | March 23, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Here is the problem is have with that scenario you are drafting Okung as a monster left tackle which means that you are looking for right arm QB if you draft Tebow who is left arm QB you are taking okung strengths away because of the fact that tebow blid side becomes the right side instead of the left unless you draft someone like TOny Pike or Zac Robinson

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere last night, but can't find the source now, that the Lions are eye-balling Okung with their 2nd pick.

I'd be very happy with Trent Williams if Okung is gonzo.

Analysis:

"Run blocking: Fires off the line and dominates when drive blocking. Turns his man whichever way is needed and sustains the block."

Not too giddy about Tebow in the 2nd though.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

GL, stop with the Berry talk...taking a safety this high is retarded. The Bucs will take McCoy because he's a perfect fit for what they do defensively and Suh would be there for us at #4 if the first 2 picks go down like you outlined. I doubt it happens that way though.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Will the center from Florida be there in round 2??

Posted by: gixxer998 | March 23, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I would prefer an Okung-Colt McCoy combo platter.

I like Tebow's intangibles, but I wouldn't want to bank on him being able to become a solid NFL QB.

McCoy has a lot of the same intangibles as Tebow, but looks a lot more NFL ready and has decent upside, too.

If McCoy checks out medically, I'd much rather have him as the QB of the future.

Posted by: jamesweise | March 23, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

GL, just stop with the Berry stuff...taking a safety 4th overall would be insane beyond belief. It would be like Vinny all over again.

In the scenario you laid out, the first two picks could happen but there's no way the Bucs take Suh over McCoy. McCoy fits their defense perfectly and that's about as close to a lock pick there is in the top 5.

So if Okung is gone, count on Suh being the pick.

And Kevorkian...in the scenario you laid out, Okung would be a candidate to play RT (which I wouldn't necessarily bet against anyway). Regardless of what side you play him on, Okung is a player the Redskins need in a big way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I like Tebow as a second round pick. He can be the 3rd QB and can help the team in other ways while developing. Personally, I can't stand the guy but he's too smart to pass up in the later rounds.

Posted by: jfoster13 | March 23, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I agree with most people voting for the combo based on Okung. We are so used to having to find a reason to cheer for the draft that i think folks vote for Okung and Tebow comes "with him."

Here's the thing- Bradford, Clausen, Tebow... Do any of these young men have the skill to come in and challenge JC? Colt Bennan? I don't think so. Rex is here so there is someone who speaks SHANNYball, he will be lucky to be on the roster in September. For Colt to be on the bubble we would have to draft someone who could come in and BE better than him, not grow into someone better than our third string. Or even second string.

I believe Shann-Allen are throwing enough "out there" to make sure no one knows what they are going to do, least of all the fans. They are not in a popularity contest here. They are building a football team. We won't try to trade up for Bradford, he is just not that good. We won't take Clausen because they just don't believe he is the future. That leaves Okung, arguably a conerstone LT for the next 8-10 years. Second round is anyones guess. Tebow should be available and he is a good football player. But is he the best football player at 37? I don't think so. I could see a defensive player with this pick or one of more than a dozen OL with NFL futures who should still be on the board. Don't forget Shanny loves him an underdog RB to add a spark to the LJ/CP mix.

I honestly think Shann-Allen will know who the 37th pick will be about three minutes after they announce 36.

Posted by: fireballhank | March 23, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I could be a GQ model, but male pattern baldness, and my lack of good looks prevent it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Now there's a thought. Best available at #4, McCOY or BERRY, best available right tackle at #37, then TEBOW in round four. ILB in round five and an o-guard in round seven.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Just Say No to Tebow or Clausen.

Use every stinkin pick on the OL and teach-up JC, he's as good as anyone available.

Posted by: kone | March 23, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bacaje | March 23, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

If Bradford is there at 4, and his shoulder checks out, I think Shanny takes him. If Rams do take him as most believe and Okung is there we take him. If both are gone we try like hell to trade down and pick up the 3rd round pick we used for Jarmon. 3rd round is the best time to pick up a "project" qb for Shanny to "raise up". Then with the 2 we can pick best avail from need posistion (RT,G,RB,FS,ILB). We need a minimum of 2 starters from this draft!

Posted by: B2WIN | March 23, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

"...An assistant coach of another team that is intrigued about the potential of Tebow as an NFL quarterback recently told me most player-personnel officials have assigned an early-to-late-second-round grade to Tebow..."

And what grade do they have on Grant LeFevour?

That's a better second option if you decide, "Hey, I want to raise me a quarterback."

And in terms of the distraction game, we've peeped it already.

Whomever the young'n quarterback is, he's learning behind Rex Grossman for one season.

And as for J Campbell, maybe he'll like where ever it is he gets traded to on draft day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 8:00 AM

Seriously GL...you're coming apart at the seams, man. No chance Tebow is on the board in the 4th round. Jacksonville won't let him slide past their 2nd round pick, and that's if they don't burn their 1st rounder on him.

And it bears repeating: Berry ain't the pick at #4. No chance Allen takes a safety that high and any GM that does is a complete lunatic. McCoy is going 3rd to Tampa. I'd bet on that, and I hate gambling.

I think the Lions are giving everyone the misdirection play here...they'll take Suh #2 and we'll get Okung at #4.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I might be a homer to say this but what if Okung is not there? what about bruce champbell at 4 then in the second round. Tony Pike!!

what do you guys think?

Posted by: Bigmon411 | March 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

what do you guys think?

Posted by: Bigmon411 | March 23, 2010 8:27 AM

I think I couldn't be happier that you have no input whatsoever on who we draft this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Have to think the skins are either looking at Colt McCoy or trading down in the 2nd rd. No way they're taking Tebow. I'd like to see them pick up a 3rd rd pick, drop down 10 spots and take Javhid Best.

Posted by: beatkal | March 23, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM

Careful there, that's awful close to blasphemy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

gotta get a LT, and a RT in this draft, they've got about 28 guys to stuff into the hole at RG, I'll take my chances that one of them pans out. But to go anything other than OL with the first 2 picks, to me, is foolishness.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

We'd be willing to take Tebow if it meant getting Okung. I think we just saw Okung and hit the button. I'd rather have someone else in round 2 and take the QB next year.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"...they've got about 28 guys to stuff into the hole at RG, I'll take my chances that one of them pans out..."

1 hole, 28 guys.

Sounds like a movie title.

So who are our guys?:

Artis Hicks

Mike Williams

Chad Rhinehart

Ed Williams

Wil Montegomery

The inside money is that Hicks will start, and that a rookie tackle will be playing alongside him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

i like Zac Robinson later in the draft, forget Tebow! Take Okung in the 1st, Charles Brown in the 2nd!

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | March 23, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Greg -- 100% agree.

IMO, the O-line needs to get addressed this year since this draft is deep at that position. There's no reason why we can't get two starters at OT in the first two rounds. Every indication is that the 2011 draft will be much deeper and better at QB and that would be the best time to lock up that "franchise QB".

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

beantown

1 hole, 28 guys.

Sounds like a movie title.

Posted by: MistaMoe

28 Skeets Later?

Posted by: RedDMV | March 23, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Anyone but Tebow. I don't care if he's the next Montana, I can't stand that punk.

Posted by: Avar | March 23, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:37 AM |

Rookie tackle? I don't know. What about left tackle?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

100% agree with Greg...there's no reason why this team can't get two starting OTs in the first two rounds. This is supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in years for O-line help and we need to take full advantage of that. And with 2011 slated to be much deeper and better at QB, that would be the time to lock up a "franchise QB".

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

If the best 2 candidates are on D when its the skins turn to pick I say trade back for the best deal you can get, preferably a 1st and a 3rd, but maybe a 1st and a 2nd will be offered.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 23, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

moe, you got issues, haha....

Hicks, BMW, one of them will fit the bill.

brown, anything other than that, and I think they're asking for another year of abject failure on offense.

Anyone catch the comments that Shanny made regarding the offense that the team ran last year? something along the lines of, "You guys actually ran this"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow...not sure why my posts are taking like 5 mins to post...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Avar | March 23, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I agree I don't like the cut of his jib.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 23, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

OT is a major need. If Okung is still on the board, he is your #1 pick or Bryan Bulaga from Iowa. Second round, if Mike Iupati, OG from Idaho, is still on the board, he is your second pick. Tebow is an interesting pick, but so is Tony Pike.

If the Skins can get both Okung & Iupati, the two best OL coming out of college this year, that would address a major problem from years past.

Posted by: jag523 | March 23, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:21 AM

To trade Jason Campbell and draft a rookie QB to understudy under Grossman for one year sounds like a real plan.

It is strokin' a brilliant.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 23, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"i voted yes, but only because of okung. as a side note, the lions will probably grab okung and move backus to right tackle, meaning that he won't be there when we pick at 4. this might make it a good place to trade down to the middle of the first round so someone can move up to grab clausen. that way we can get a better value for a bryan bulaga/trent williams type OT.
i also don't like the tebow pick. why not take something else and look at CMU's lefevour (sp?) in the 3rd, assuming we can package some picks to get a 3rd rounder."

Sounds like the best idea yet. Jason will do for a year or two. Where's the beef?

Posted by: Timotious | March 23, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 8:47 AM

I laughed my a$$ off.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 8:47 AM

I missed that...but you gotta figure if fans noticed it was awful, other coaches had to be yukking it up at Zorn's expense during film study.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

"Rookie tackle? I don't know. What about left tackle?"

Realistic thinking--and not blog trashtalk--is that the skins would do well to take tackles at #4 and #37.

And even if we don't take a tackle at #4, Allen and Shanahan are good enought to find players in rounds 2 and 4 (or late spring/summer cuts) that'll be big long term improvements over what's on the roster now.

So I'm thinking Hicks and a new guy make the right side of the line.

And Dock and the other new guy will make the left side.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:24 AM

brownwood,

One problem with your logic. Jacksonville doesn't have a second round pick this year. New England owns their second. They have to either take him with their first or engineer a trade, including possibly trading down, for a late first/early second.

Posted by: League-Source | March 23, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 23, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I think you may have a good plan if Okung is gone. If this draft really is that deep we can get the same offensive tackle we were going to get at #4 and still pick up a 3rd. If we traded back to #8 we could still possibly land Trent Williams(KC-Bulaga). The Raiders could have Suh and just give us a third. I know it's not a fair "value" on the chart but the reality would be that we'd have the same player we wanted at #4 only at #8 price and we picked up a third.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

brown, check out hogs-haven, it was on there, I believe.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Good call, LS. I missed that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

"Rookie tackle? I don't know. What about left tackle?"

So I'm thinking Hicks and a new guy make the right side of the line.

And Dock and the other new guy will make the left side.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 8:50 AM

I agree with the thinking that our first 2 picks should be tackles. It just scares the hell out of me to think that Campbell is going to have 2 rookies protecting him. I guess it really couldn't be any worse than it's been the last 2 years. I hope Campbell has invested his money well cause he may be dead after this year, or washed up or relegated to crying in the corner for the rest of his career.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:54 AM

My thoughts:

1. There are no "franchise QBs" available with the 4th pick.

2. The only "shot" we should give Colt is, well, from a Colt. That guy is out of pro football after Shanahan cuts him, maybe the day after the draft.

Posted by: League-Source | March 23, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

What about Locker from Washington next year?

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | March 23, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

beantown greg do you have a link to those comments?

Posted by: DG28 | March 23, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I thought the JReid police was Ryp11...thanks for the update..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 7:25 AM |

No need to get in another b!tchfest with you when you start whining about the posts again.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 23, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal | March 23, 2010 8:30 AM

I read the Lions might take Best in round 2.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

What is up with all the Tebow haters? Would be a vocal leader in the huddle (unlike current QB), can scramble out of the pocket (unlike current QB) and has the heart/desire to win (unlike current QB). This whole "wasting a 2nd rounder on him" is crazy talk.. dude is an upgrade at a position of need.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 7:08 AM

FTW. Or trade down and go OL, OL, OL. Or maybe a RB in there.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 23, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"It just scares the hell out of me to think that Campbell is going to have 2 rookies protecting him."

Now, let's hold on a minute.

We want to draft Okung at 4, then worry if he can do the job?

We saw the 'matador' pass blocking technique employed by S Heyer last year, and think a second rounder is might be worse?

You have to project where the players you draft will be, not where they are on draft day.

Tackles at #4 and #37 would make sense and play well--short term and long term.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:56 AM

Yeah...ridiculous comments like these shouldn't have a real name assigned to them. Do better next time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Folks There are no Franchise QB's that will be avail in 2011 !!
And JC can't be teached up have you not been seeing him play the last 4 yrs!!
Draft a Franchise QB or Give the Kid a shot Colt Brennan...Your Thoughts ?

Posted by: davidgrodriguez1 | March 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Pat Devlin
Terrell Pryor
Christian Ponder

Write down this list and by the time the draft rolls around next year tell me how many of these guys are considered franchise QBs. I bet at least 4 of them will be called franchise QBs by then. I bet at least 4 of them will be considered as good of a prospect as Clausen if not better and will be had at a pick hopefully a good bit lower than #4 overall.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

whatever...we all know who the whining b!tch is

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

what a stupid poll, just stop it with the polls man. Geez man how bout thinking about the question first. This question presents Okung and Tebow as a package. I Like Okung and he's a solid LT, but Tebow only prefers to be grouped with Jesus. So can you split the question and not group two players of far different skill sets and ability.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | March 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 8:52 AM

Be careful. The Chiefs are likely going OT at #5.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

paskinsfan

Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Pat Devlin
Terrell Pryor
Christian Ponder

Locker, Mallet, and Ponder are ballers, straight up.

And just think what we'd be talking about if Locker had come out this year?

This draft, quarterback-wise, should've been:

Locker

Stafford

Sanchez

Bradford

Claussen

Now, there's a list to pick from.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 23, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Pat Devlin
Terrell Pryor
Christian Ponder

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 9:06 AM

Amen.

And two things to bear in mind: 1) you NEVER see the NFL draft go QB-QB-QB-QB in the first 4-5 picks so there will be a top QB prospect available up until about the middle of the 1st round and 2) the Redskins will probably be picking somewhere between 5th and 15th next year, which should be just fine if we're looking to pick a QB in the 1st round.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Bean - I read about that... apparently it was the barber shop interview with DT11, although I didn't actually hear him say it, I must have missed that part.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jag523 | March 23, 2010 8:48 AM

Unlikely Iupati falls to #37. But someone surprising will fall. It always happens, especially in a deep draft.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd go with Okung in the first and the best RT in the second maybe Vlad Ducasse, Jared Veldheer, or Tony Washington. Then I'd pick up a good 1 cut RB in the 4th like Montario Hardesty. I'd let Hicks and BMW fight it out for right guard. I think BMW could be really good there with a whole offseason of working just at right guard. I'd just do BPA for the 5th and 7th unless it's a TE, WR, or DT.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Thompson is a classic underachiver, and hasn't contributed much of anything.. This is a move for more playing time with Brantley this year..

The last paragraph says it all..

"What is already known is that Thompson currently has a BCS Championship ring on his resume, thanks in large part to Tebow."

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Thompson is your classic underachiever , and hasn't contributed much of anything.. This is a move for more playing time with Brantley this year..

The last paragraph says it all..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 23, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beatkal | March 23, 2010 8:30 AM

I read the Lions might take Best in round 2.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Could be. As you might guess from my handle I'm not a fan of Cal but Best is a great change-of-pace back, and just as I recommended we take DeSean Jackson over Malcolm Kelly I won't let my hatred of Cal stop me from supporting drafting one of their guys.

And since we're discussing the Pac-10 a little, I'm going to say I think Locker's ratings are so far all on potential and I'm not sold he's going to be as good a pro as all the hype. Terrific athlete, low completion percentage. Now Andrew Luck when he comes out (hopefully not for a couple of years) is going to be a top 10 QB if not #1 overall. If you haven't seen him, he is THE REAL DEAL my friends.

Regardless, we can't "count" on being in position to take a franchise QB as I don't think we're going to be picking in the top 5 again...

Posted by: beatkal | March 23, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

whud I miss?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 23, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'll be surprised if Tebow is a second round pick, wouldn't mind a high fourth, but not second. Voted for Okung.

Posted by: abxinc | March 23, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Tebow has always intrigued me as a player. My biggest concerns with him following the college football season were of the matters regarding him being a "traditional" QB, i.e. being able to make all the drops and perform all the throws.

If what the scouts are saying is true regarding his overhauled throwing mechanics, then he's a VERY intriguing prospect.

His track record is obviously second to none coming out of college. His devotion to the game is nearly unparalleled. Reports coming from UF during the season said that Tebow would attend every meeting the Gator's held. Not just QB meetings, offensive meetings, etc. EVERY meeting. He'd sit in when the WRs went over film with the WR coaches, TEs with the TE coaches, RBs with the RB coaches, OL, Defense, ST, everything. That is unheard of for any player, let alone any collegiate athlete. First and foremost, dedication is what you need from the QB position, and Tebow has it.

The other encouraging news regarding Tebow is the alleged improvement in his throwing motion, after only a couple months of work with a personal trainer. This suggests coachability from the player, and if there's a guy in this league that can coach them up with the best of the them, it's Shanahan. This leads to an interesting dynamic between the two.

Questions will still remain regarding his ability to see the entire field and execute a complex playbook, but if Shanahan is set on developing his own young gun, you could do worse than getting Tebow in the second round.

First and foremost, this team needs to fortify the offensive line. If we can do that by grabbing Okung in the first (or another top shelf OL at #4), then I would be on board with Tebow in the second. He's a project not likely to start in year 1 anyway, so if the team can get a head start on building the line with Okung while grooming Tebow on the bench, then that's a great start to the Shanahan regime in my book.

Posted by: psps23 | March 23, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Nobody is buying the notion that we would select a QB with our first pick. So if I were emperor, I would want everyone in the league to think I was going to take a QB with my second pick. Allot of teams are looking to use their #2 or one of them on a QB so why not let them think we are to. In the 2nd we select ahead of most and would love to trade down so let them think we want a QB and entertain all offers for our pick.
I would want everyone thinking I’m going to take their player at this point.

Oh and I didn’t vote.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | March 23, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 23, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

It always amuses me when posters say "Trade back, trade back," as if all the 'Skins would have to do to make a trade is just pick up the phone. The reality is that while trades in the top five picks do happen (in four of the last ten years), usually the deal is made to pick a QB, and since Bradford is likely to be gone and Clausen doesn't seem to be viewed that highly, it is unlikely that the 'Skins will be able to trade out of the no. 4 slot. If Okung is available, I think he's the team's pick. If not, and the choice is between the second-best LT, the second-best QB, Suh or Berry, I say take Suh and use him to back up Kemoeatu or play DT when the 'Skins go to a 4 man front (though I could live with Berry, too, as he apparently is considered an elite player, and would allow the 'Skins to move LL back to SS).

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I think the fact that we are missing out on alot of the Oline FAs (Clifton, Sims, Pashos) is going to put pressure on Shallen to focus on the Oline in the draft.

Obviously Shanny badly wants to find a young QB and tutor him up. And why not? Just look at the stable of losers he has to work with right now.

But unlike some other execs we've seen around Redskins Park, I'm confident that Shanny will be able to suppress his personal football player fetish and make decisions based on what the team actually needs to be successfully rebuilt, which is Olinemen right now.

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Voted no for the simple reason of Tebow with our 2nd is way too high. If they are going to not take Bradford or Clausen then I would prefer tackles 1 and 2. If we could get Tebow in the 4th that be a different scenario and I'd be all for it. But Tebow at 37 is just too high, he's probably 3 years minimum from being a contributor if ever at QB. The 37th pick should be a starter and when we have as many holes as we do taking a long term project over an immediate starter just to get a QB is a luxury we can't afford. IMO if we don't take Bradford or Clausen we should go Tackles 1 & 2, QB 4 (Tebow if he falls Snead if not), RB 5, and best available in the 7th.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 23, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Assuming Okung is there at number 4... The Lions just picked up TWO DL men.. now they could go for a third.. but they also have to keep Sanford healthy.. Okung could be gone. And Tebow??? I like the person but you think people are down on Clausen at QB listen to what they say about Tebow... Assuming Okung is gone.. Skins could also draft Clausen (rated much higher than Tebow) and draft an LT in 2nd round..

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 23, 2010 9:28 AM

I'll like to piggy back off this post. Tebow has all the intangibles many people would like to see in their QB. The one thing about Tebow I like is that of his commitment to the game. Can a good QB coach, and a talented OC mold this Tebow into a starting caliber NFL QB. I think so. For example look at Vince Young. Dude still has issues with his accuracy, but he's made significant strides in his game. Tebow's work ethic will surpass VY's. Tebow in 2-3 years will be an interesting player to see.

Posted by: TWISI | March 23, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Why not Okung and McCoy?

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 23, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

And I used to consider what you think, but I've wised up.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Redskins sign punter Josh Bidwell

Posted by: drewkinnear | March 23, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Why all this focus on a new QB?

You heard Haynesworth. Not only was JC playing with no OL, he was given goofy plays to run. Shannahan knows this so this year he will focus on the OL and see how JC does with a good line and coaching staff.

All this QB talk is misdirection.

Not to say that if the Skins can pick up a QB with potential on the cheap in a later round, they won't do it.

Posted by: boomer5 | March 23, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The whole point of his scenario was that by only asking for a 3rd rounder and offering up the best player in the draft to trade back that throws the whole notion that trade backs don't happen in the top 5 out the window. In his scenario the trade back is way more than viable and I'd even call it likely AND we'd still end up with a similar LT prospect.

Are you telling me that if you're the Raiders you wouldn't part with your 3rd rounder to move up and grab the best player in the draft? They could come up and get Suh then pair him with Seymor. They just cut Greg Ellis and Gerrard Warren and their Dline was the weakest part of their D last year. Suh would imediately resolve that.

We'd fall back to #8 and probably have our pick of Bulaga or Trent Williams(assuming KC takes Davis or Campbell) which is exactly what we would have had at #4 only in this scenario we picked up a 3rd rounder.

The only problem with this scenario is that we are on paper getting ripped off. Our pick is worth 1800 points and were letting it go for 1630 points. The whole point of the post was that we are lowering our asking price.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 23, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

From Adam Shefter:Redskins announced today that they have signed former Bucs and Packers punter Josh Bidwell.

Posted by: johntaylor2 | March 23, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Is this the end for Hunter the Punter? Or is this Shanny's chance to add more competition across the board like he has always said?

Posted by: johntaylor2 | March 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Why not Okung and McCoy?

Posted by: Mike4169

That would be a dream come true...like fantasy football...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

After looking at Tebow, Clausen, Bradford, and all the QB scenarios and the projections going forward for the Redskins to get back in the Super Bowl Hunt, I find myself drawing this conclusion overwhelmingly.

The best quarterback to help get the Redskins back to prominence might already be in hand.

Jason Campbell is still a young QB and when everything is said and done, if not traded outright and given a chance instead, he will outperform all and prove that Gibbs made the right choice all along.

Jason Campbell. Bet on Black. No pun intended.

And one other thing, the ones left over from the O-Line are not as bad as a lot of you are making them out to be.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 23, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't the Fordam guy have a better arm? Draft him late.

Posted by: dclifer97 | March 23, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Why are the 'Skins not interested in Colt McCoy as their 2nd-round pick? Has ShanAllen expressed misgivings about McCoy? Isn't his skill set well-suited to a Shanahan offense? What's the deal?

Posted by: DCtoDE | March 23, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Why not Okung and McCoy?

Posted by: Mike4169 | March 23, 2010 9:42 AM

Because, then no teams willing to trade up to the top of the 2nd round with us to get Tebow. Okung is a no brainer.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 23, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: johntaylor2 | March 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Hunter is a unrestricted free agent

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

First JC is not that bad at QB Shanny gets him a OLine and builds his confidence. Shanny realizes he will not turn offense completely around in one season so he will lean on D so he could pick Cherry but at this point who knows

Posted by: cube757 | March 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I think all this Tebow business is a feint and Bruce and Shannahan are looking at either Colt McCoy/Snead/LeFeour (SP).

Call me nutz, but I think McCoy has the tangibles to become a Drew Brees like QB.

Another point of interest to mention is people thought Tom Brady was too tall and lanky when he came out. Pike fits that bill and was considered accurate in college.

Just saying...

Posted by: Devo2 | March 23, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Round 1: Left Tackle
Round 2: Right Tackle
Round 4: Speedy Running Back
Round 5: Best Player Available
Round 7: Best Player Available

Sign a free agent reserve tackle, nickel corner, reserve linebacker, Hunter Smith and maybe a reserve slot receiver (Josh Reed).

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 23, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

No way Tebow deserves to be a 2nd round pick. He's more like a 4th or 5th round pick. I personally think - at the risk of offending the Tebow fanatics out there - that's he is destined for a career of mediocrity. His arm isn't top-caliber and never will be, and he's given us no reason to believe that he will be able to play under center, take a 3-5-7 step drop, progress through 3 or 4 or more reads while avoiding blitzing DEs and LBs, and throw a good ball. He just didn't have to do those things at Florida at all; plus, his first instinct is to run. He's akin to Vince Young in alot of ways (except that he is alot smarter than Young), and while Young has improved, he's certainly not shown that he's a top-flight franchise QB either.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | March 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I like Chad Ford's tier system as applied to the NFL. To me, the key questions are: (1) how many Tier 1 players are there? We know Tier 1 includes Bradford, Suh, and McCoy. Does it also include Berry? Does it include Okung? (2) If Tier 1 is only 3 deep, is Clausen in Tier 2? If not, you clearly take Okung. If so, you clearly take Clausen.

Posted by: Dellis2 | March 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't the Fordam guy have a better arm? Draft him late.

Posted by: dclifer97

Now he could be the sleeper everyone expects Shanahan to find...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

If the Lions take Okung leaving McCoy or Suh to fall to us, I believe the Skins should be able to trade the pick and maybe get an extra first or second round pick out of it, maybe even a right tackle.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 23, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: boomer5 | March 23, 2010 9:50 AM

`

Expect more bootlegs and for us to take advantage of Campbells scrambling ability.

Posted by: Vicc | March 23, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why not Okung and McCoy?

Posted by: Mike4169

That would be a dream come true...like fantasy football...

Posted by: jcnjcnj
re-post...re-post..
I was thinking Gerald not Colt

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

My money says that Claussen will be there when the skins pick in round 2.

Book it.*

* Book it is a registered trademark of 4thFloor, inc. All rights reserved, such as.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 23, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,

Last year when the Bingo caller was brought in and Zorn said that it would take about 2 weeks for him to get up-to-speed on his version of the WCO, my antennae shot up.

Remember, The Bingo Caller is a WCO expert and when Zorn made that comment, I knew then that Zorn had made up his own version of the WCO and that it was some trash and hadn't been field tested or proven anywhere.

I knew it then, so when Shanahan says basically what you point out about the offense, I am not in the least surprised.

Post the link though if you have it, I would like to read it as well.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 23, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Can all the Colt McCoy people please tell me what he has/does that would make him an attractive pick to us on any level?

What is he going to bring to the table that someone like Colt Brennan cannot?

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

First JC is not that bad at QB

Posted by: cube757 | March 23, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Right.

And that's the best thing we can say about him: "He's not that bad".

The problem is that "He's not that good".

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

This draft is deep at OT and RB, and weak at QB. I guarantee the Lions will not take Okung at #2, and there still is a slight possibility Bradford is still on the board at #4. Even if that's the case, I'd still rather see us trade back a spot or two and take Okung or Trent Williams. Draft another tackle in round 2, and pick up a speedy RB somewhere along the way. Draft the rest for depth, and put your stock in Ryan Mallett. That dude is tall, strong, and is a franchise qb without the red flags you get with Bradford.

Posted by: hokiesmokie | March 23, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

What is he going to bring to the table that someone like Colt Brennan cannot?

Posted by: p1funk |

nothing....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | March 23, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

What is he going to bring to the table that someone like Colt Brennan cannot?

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

More accurate passer. Played and had success against tougher competition. Better work ethic.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 23, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why so many folks think Okung going to the Lions is such a lock.

They really like Bauckus, and they've given him alot of $$, and their defense is absolutely atrocious. It is Ernie Sims playing with 10 holograms. Why wouldn't they prefer to take a supposed NFL-ready difference-making can't-miss DTackle like Suh??

As has been mentioned this is a tackle-rich draft and they could always grab some other tackle in a ower round.

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 23, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26
--------------

Why? Are they afraid someone will trade into the 1st overall for Suh? I suppose it's not impossible, but that's the only reason in the world they'd have for playing games here, unless they just feel like playing games. I think they haven't decided and are seriously considering Okung. I hope you're right and they go the other way.

Posted by: closer44 | March 23, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

What is he going to bring to the table that someone like Colt Brennan cannot?

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 23, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I've not compared the college stats, but if you tell me MCoy is mroe accurate, fine.

As far as having success against better competition, that is a double-edged sword. McCoy not only played against better competition, but he played WITH much better players. You could turn the argument around and say that Brennan had more success (statistically) playing with less talent around him.

Better work ethic? Not sure how you actually measure that...I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Posted by: p1funk | March 23, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Not that I endorse it, but should the skins only take an OT with one of there first 2 selections (#4 and #37) the projected starting lineup could be

LT #4 or #37 selection
LG Dockery
C Rabach
RG Edwin williams/BMW
RT Hicks

People sleep on E. Williams, but he was considered the #5 C on many "best at position" boards. Buges liked him enough to ensure him a roster spot, despite having will montgomery at the swing interior lineman position. So much so they let jeremy Bridges walk.

Posted by: ClassAct70 | March 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Okung is the most ready-to-play of the 4 outstanding tackles in the draft, none of whom will make it to the second round - absolutely!

Tebow - you're joking, right? LeFevre and Pike both have more upside (although Pike's arm looked awfully weak at the combine). Better yet, take the best among even higher quality OGs, MLBs, FSs (oh well, there's Berry and a few "might be's") or RBs.

This isn't going to be a one year rebuilding job.

Posted by: fr3dmars | March 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

What if the draft order goes Bradford to the Rams, Okung to the Lions and McCoy/Suh to the Bucs? Do we then take the best available player with McCoy/Suh? Or trade back with Buffalo- who is high on Clausen- and acquire more picks in the draft?

Posted by: A_o_C57 | March 23, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Post the link though if you have it, I would like to read it as well.
----------
Sorry, I don't have the link (someone here probably does), but I believe it was part of an interview with Devin Thomas. DT said Shanahan made those comments, so it wasn't a direct quote by the coach. Not to say it isn't true, but it's hearsay.

Posted by: closer44 | March 23, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Maps!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder wants to get Tebow just for pure business - redskins can make more money by sellings Tebow's jersey than selling Bradford or Clausen's jersey.

Posted by: teddcmetro | March 23, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Draft oline in first and second round. take running back in the forth. forget the qb talk.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | March 23, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

2010 Rd. 1 - Russell Okung, OT
2010 Rd. 2 - Jahvid Best, RB
2011 Rd. 1 - Kellen Moore, QB

Posted by: brooklynpsu | March 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Interest in Tebow is a ploy for somebody to trade up for our pick and pick up an extra pick in the draft.

Posted by: sstackss | March 23, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

OKUNG IS OKING OF THE ODRAFT FOR OSKINS.

OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG!!!

This is simple. Don't screw it up.

Posted by: dovelevine | March 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

What is the fascination with Tebow! Haven't we learned? Okung with the first pick, and whoever is the best OL left with the second. Take Lefevre if you must with a second or third pick.

Posted by: 1of9000 | March 23, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Okung yes, Tebow no.

Posted by: joeboggs | March 23, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

What does DeAngelo Hall think?

Posted by: dovelevine | March 23, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If Okung is there at 4 he is a no brainer. If he gone try your hardest to move back and get some additional picks, if you can't move down take bulaga. He is solid all around and could always start at right tackle if he isn't athletic enough for the left side. Take Saffold from Indiana in round 2, very athletic. If some how they trade down and get another second or a third Toby gerhart would be great here. Take Jevan Sneed in the fourth to solve QB, yea he's a project but the kid can throw. That's my take of this years ideal draft.

Posted by: Ahoff829 | March 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Pat Devlin
Terrell Pryor
Christian Ponder"

Mallett: huge arm, enormous 6'7" frame. Inconsistent accuracy.

Locker: Athletic, mobile. Strong arm. Likes to roll out of the pocket.

Devlin: Strong arm, pocket passer. Transferred out of Div. I Penn State.

Terrell Pryor: Big guy, adept runner. Not a pro-style pocket passer.

Christian Ponder: mobile, rolls out well, average arm.

I sure don't see four franchise QBs in there. Of course, I'm not exactly sure what a franchise QB is.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I say we use the blueprint the Jets used a few years back when they selected D'brick and Mangold with their two first round picks. We all see where they are now. If I'm not mistaken they reached the playoffs the next year with Chad Pennington at the helm and with a mediocre defense at best. of course the scenario only makes sence if Okung doesn't go #2 to the Lions.

I'm starting to beleive that Okung will go at the #2 spot since Detroit wants to protect its Stafford investment. In that case Suh will become available at the #4 spot. Do we take him? or take Berry? (Assuming no one wants to trade up)

Trade bait = Jason Campbell, Chris Cooley, Andre Carter, Carlos Rogers. I would move anyone of those guys for a 2nd round pick.

Whether through a trade or a swap of first round picks, I think the Skins will end up with two second round picks this draft. If the Tebow rumor is true that's how they will acquire him in my opinion.

Scenario 1:
Pick 1 - Okung
Pick 2 - OT/OG or (Possibly Jahvid Best)
Pick 2 - Tebow

Scenario 2:
Pick 1 - Okung
Pick 2 - OT/OG
Pick 2 - Jahvid Best

If we move down in the 1st via trade replace Okung with 2nd tier rated OL.

Posted by: nss09 | March 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Ryan Mallet
Jake Locker
Pat Devlin
Terrell Pryor
Christian Ponder"

One other thing about that group: overall they haven't won in college the way Bradford, Tebow, or Pike have. If that's important to you, I mean.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I am not sleeping on e.williams I have stated for 2yrs that rabach should be replaced..now that williams arrived here last yr as a cheap FA he should be given a chance to beat out rabach, williams is younger,stronger,and quicker and does NOT get pushed into the qb like rabach. dont look for rinehart to beat out m. williams or hicks.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 23, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why so many folks think Okung going to the Lions is such a lock.
_____

_______
Yeah they like Backus but he rarely dominates and is considered a below avg LT. Lions wanted to move him to left guard last year. And while Suh is a solid pick if Sanford is killed it won't make a difference. Again they might go Suh but if you love Okung why do you think they won't?

As has been mentioned this is a tackle-rich draft and they could always grab some other tackle in a lower round.
Posted by: p1funk
__________
Same could be said of the Skins they could also draft OL in later rounds.. Look Skins need to improve OL but if Okung not available they need to address their 2nd biggest problem.. franchise QB. Now it's funny in these blogs everyone seems down on Clausen but read outside of Washington and Clausen is the 2nd best QB in the draft, some rate him first. I'll let Shanahan decide that but what we do know is another year of Campbell is just another wasted year..

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Why waste a second round pick on a player that isn't needed. Campbell's numbers were pretty good for a guy running for his life most plays.

Draft a Left Tackle first followed by a Right Tackle.

Only a fool would trade away mid-20 starters like Chris Cooley.

Posted by: BigTrees | March 23, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Wouldn't say lock but the Lions just signed 2 defensive lineman.. Vandenbosch and Corey Williams . So why sign two guys if you were planning to draft another???"

That's a very good point. Not to say the Lions won't draft another...

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"hat leaves Okung, arguably a conerstone LT for the next 8-10 years."

Key word: 'arguably'. Okung could turn out to be an average NFL player and still have an 8-10 year career. Far as we know, Trent Williams or Davis or Bulaga could be the stud in this draft. Remember last year.

Stop talking about Okung as if he's a sure thing.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I would go for Okung and Roger Saffold in he Second. If Dan Lefevour or Tony Pike is on the board in 4--take them. Or, look for next year to get a QB.

Posted by: MadeRED | March 23, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Did he really put up a pol asking a question that hamster nation has debated ad nauseum for a week running?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 23, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Why is it nobody talks about McCoy. Pretty good numbers in college, mobile, smart and acurate. I get a funny feeling he goes higher than the pickle man Claussen. We have three QB's in camp pretty sure JC will start and hold his own with whoever they put him up against. Just can't stop wondering about the first year Zorn was coaching and we had a decent O-line 2008 first 8 games was it s fluke????? I just can't write JC off without seeing him perform ubder those circumstances again.

Posted by: MPWTIAN | March 23, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

To me the draft at this point looks like this:

BRADFORD
OKUNG
SUH
???? - REDSKINS

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

McCoy and Berry BOTH make excellent trade back bait.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 23, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 23, 2010 7:39 AM

Posted by: League-Source | March 23, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

True IF.... and only IF.... Jax is staying in Jax vice planning a move to LA. If the owner there... and the League... wants to move that team to LA, then they need to let it continue dying of the vine in Jax to facilitate and defend the move. Signing Tebow would serve at cross purposes to that goal.

PS Wondering if the Wilson's will try and move the Bills after Ralph.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 23, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Okung yes but I prefer McCoy over Tebow

Posted by: graywolf323 | March 23, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

ideal draft.

Posted by: Ahoff829

Hoffmeister- I like it. But if you have to have a QB project then try Colt 2.0 in the second and take OL again later. RB should be OK this year.

See what Shanny did before with a running QB...?

Posted by: ElYeah | March 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Okung- 1st round
Another O-lineman- 2nd round
Jevan Snead 4th round

No to Tebow in any round!

Posted by: cavys | March 23, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, if the Redskins draft Tebow, I would vomit. Two Gator alums on our qb roster? Are you serious? Why don't we just go re-sign Shane Matthews and Wuerffel, hell, bring Spurrier back too.

Posted by: jordan6909 | March 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say but Cooley is so overrated! He only somewhat achieved on this team due to the poor wr corps we had and santana getting doubled. He drops the big 3rd down pass or fumbles in key situations and when he does catch the ball he looks like he's running in quicksand. How many times do I have to watch this blog infactuated moron trip over his own feet! And don't tell me Davis cant block...Cooley gets abused in that department as well!

Posted by: nss09 | March 23, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nss09 | March 23, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan does not deserve a chance. Those passes he threaded the needle on against 3rd stringers would be intercepted by 1st stringers who can jump higher, are taller, and can run faster. He has no arm to throw an out or corner route in the NFL.

Posted by: withoutanet | March 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: withoutanet | March 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Colt McCoy or Tony Pike be selected in the 2nd round than Tebow.

If Okung gets picked ahead of us, then we trade down. Pick up another o-lineman later in the first. With the extra 2nd round pick, we take a qb and another o-lineman.

Posted by: chwilli9 | March 23, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPWTIAN
_______
If Campbell is the best QB we have in camp this year we are DOOMED!!! There is no way this teams wins with Campbell.. it would be nothing more than a wasted year. And want to know why the Skins started 6-2 in 2008.. because Portis ran the ball almost every down. Campbel when he had to throw threw underneath.. he only cared about not throwing picks and not losing the game. And because the Skins defense was still top 5 because it was built by Gregg Williams.. But here's what happen.. teams crowded the line.. stopped the run and said if you are going to beat us Campbell will have to do it.. that's when the Skins went 2-6.. Last year 4-12. The Cowboys, Eagles and Giants are praying Campbell is the QB... Skins need a franchise QB.. and Campbell is NOT IT!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: withoutanet
_____
Ever think IF Colt had 1st stringers to throw to he wouldn't need to "thread the needle" because instead of throwing to 3rd stringers he'd be throwing to guys who are taller, faster and can jump higher??? Colt has plenty of arm to be successful in this league.. and bottomline no one will know how good he can be unless he gets a chance...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't the Fordam guy have a better arm? Draft him late.

Posted by: dclifer97

Yes. Yes he does. He just isnt very sure where it's gonna go. Kind of like a buff Flacco with less accuracy. Skelton is a late round or FA project.....but one i would definitely would like to see on the Skins. He's big, 6'6", 245, moves really well, moves in the pocket and throws well on the run (a lot of times to guys on the other team) but has all the physical skills for a young QB that can be developed 2-3 years from now. Check out some of his play compilations on You Tube.

Posted by: Holehoggin | March 23, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

I'm okay gambling with Tebow as long as we get Okung. Tebow is high-risk, high-reward, I think.

I'd rather get him in the 3rd round.

Also, I'd only approve of this if we can get into the 3rd round (or get lucky) and pick up a guard, like Mike Johnson from Alabama.

And a speed back like McCluster would be nice as well.

Posted by: lordtwang | March 23, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

And I belive that Zornie scouted him a while back also. Jags are also looking at him.

Posted by: Holehoggin | March 23, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I Don«t beleive we need a QB. We have Campbell who has yet to show his potential and a backup Rex Grossman or the other quaterback can stepup if needed. Take a OT and then a RB or Corner/Safety. If they do take a QB i ilke That guy Lefeouver or something like that. The Guy ran a 2 minute drill with that senior team and looked good in combine. Tebow at the moment is just to sell jerseys no doubt!

Posted by: Pedro01 | March 23, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Why would you select a "project" with a very high 2nd round pick? If you want to go QB, go with McCoy or one of the more polished QB's.

Posted by: BT23 | March 23, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

O'kung-fu, where are thou?

Posted by: RedCherokee | March 23, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedro01
____
Yet to show his potential?? He's been in the league FIVE YEARS!!! What's he waiting for??? It's simple Campbell is NOT the answer. Shanahan want's to develop a new QB. Colt has a shot if he looks good in minicamp.. but my guess is Shanahan will draft a QB. Bradford should be gone and on the OL Okung should be gone to.. Tebow will not be ready for years if ever. People for some reason don't like him but Clausen is looking like the one. Skins going from soup to pickles..

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Draft Okung and skip Tebow - get two solid OL players and build a core that can protect a QB and open holes for an RB - quit screwing around and get what's needed.

Posted by: whelms | March 23, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A_o_C57
_____
Why do we want another DL man?? No we draft Clausen.. Hey if Bills and a bunch of other teams are high on him.. Why do you think the people here know better than them?? Then we trade Campbell to Bills hope to at least get a third round pick.. then use the 2nd the 3rd picks to get OLmen...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 23, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 23, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping, but I wouldn't count on it as a lock-down. Unless you're the kind of guy who would pick KANSAS to win it all. BIG 12 way overated. KY's got the goods this year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyway Clausen drops to the second round? If he is in the second I would take him over Tebow anyday. He has a better arm and has run the pro style more and better. I don't like him at 4 but in the second round that changes things a little.

Posted by: bb-squared | March 23, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

This isn't complicated and it ain't rocket science. Redskins need two tackles in the worst way If Okung gone try a trade down if that doesn't work use #4 to pick the second best offensive tackle in the draft. That's right "waste" the #4 on a tackle. Skins need one that badly. Go get another one in second round.

I still get mad thinking about Vinny's draft in 2008. Geezus!

WR Devin Thomas Michigan St. 2
TE Fred Davis Southern Cal 2
WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma 2
OL Chad Rinehart No. Iowa 3
CB Justin Tryon Arizona St. 4
P Durant Brooks Georgia Tech 6
DB Kareem Moore Nicholls St. 6
QB Colt Brennan Hawaii 6
DE Rob Jackson Kansas St. 7
FS Chris Horton UCLA 7

Posted by: Pepper5 | March 23, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to bother attempting to read the previous 175+ posts, so I'm sorry if this topic was already discussed ad nauseam, but I can't be the only person who hates these stoopid 'yes/no' poll Q&A's... Yes to Okung, no to Tebow. So once again, like 75% or more of the poll questions crapped out on this blog, I cannot simply answer yes or no; it's just not that black and white...

Posted by: harrypoopers | March 23, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

What we need here and now is a LT. It's the most obvious deficiency. But if you want a long term solution, Bradford would be the best pick if available. There is absolutely no guarantee that a franchise QB will be available to the Redskins in the 2011 draft. We do not have a franchise QB and when you have the chance, you take it. 2010 without a top LT will be brutal, but logic dictates that it won't be a winning season in 2010 anyway. They can get a serviceable LT in the second round, then dedicate 2011 to the best linemen possible. So in 2011 when the team plans to be competitive they will have a franchise QB and a top LT. But if they go after the LT this year, it will make some fans happy, but the franchise won't be winning long term without a good QB.

Posted by: midniterc | March 23, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Listen everybody its not like Shanny and Allen are leaving after the 2010 season so why does everyone think were getting a franchise qb this draft. He's going to get Okung at 4, draft the best player available (hopefully o-line) in the 2nd rd, Work with JC for a year(imagine what Shanahan can do with JC)in the system to see what he can do, and then next year we get that franchise qb if need be. Everyone needs to relax, were just so used to Snyder/Ceratto drafts

Posted by: gmechanger21 | March 24, 2010 3:09 AM | Report abuse

For those who think it is rediculous to draft a safety in the top five, maybe we should ask the Bills whether they wished they had picked Ed Reed rather Mike Williams with the fourth pick in 2002. Maybe we should ask the Bengals whether they got more value from picking Levi Jones at ten.

Incidentally, you'll notice that bothe those tackles, the first and third selected in 2002, were on our roster last year, and boy what a stellar unit that was. Do you think the Ravens would have traded Ed Reed to us if we had packaged those two up? After all, tackles are so much more valuable than safeties.

How much better would have it been for the Texans if they had selected Ed Reed rather than David Carr with the first overall pick. Quarterback is of course a far more important position than any other. Just so long that is as he has an offensive line that can keep him vertical for long enough to complete a 3-step drop.

If the teams could have a do-over of the 2002 draft with the knowledge they have now Ed Reed might well be the first overall, he would certainly go in the top three. If any coaching staff feels that Berry is an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu type talent they shouldn't worry about the perceived value of the safety position. Great players create their own value and great safeties can have a massive impact on all aspects of a defence.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | March 24, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gmechanger21
_______
Because that what new coaches do.. get their franchise QB asap. That's what the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson did with Aikman and more recently the Falcons did with Ryan the Ravens with Flacco the Lions with Sanford the Jets with Sanchez and I'm pretty sure the Rams will do it with Bradford. People expect a new QB won't each his potential for 2 to 3 years so why wait a year to start??? The Skins will probably not get Okung because the Lions will. Campbell will be no more successful uner Shanahan than he was under Gibbs or Zorn.. if Shanahan thought he would be he would have signed JC by now.. And next year who knows were the Redskins will draft but hopefully we will be better than 4-12 so we will not get as good a pick. The Skins have a chance to draft the 2nd highest rated QB in the draft.. who knows when we will get that chance again.. If Shanahan thinks Clausen can be a franchise QB he needs to draft him NOW!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

1st - Okung,
2nd - another OL

Posted by: sonny275 | March 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

This sounds pretty smart as long as all other picks are used on offensive linemen after Tebow.

Posted by: rspound21 | March 24, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse