Redskins proceed with plans to see Bradford, Clausen, Tebow

Any talk about Sam Bradford being St. Louis-bound certainly hasn't scared off the Redskins. Not only is Bradford scheduled for a private workout for Washington officials in two weeks in Norman, Okla., but he should be in Ashburn as early as next week for an in-person visit with the Redskins.

Teams can only watch players work out on their college campuses but are allowed to host up to 30 visits with prospects at their own facilities. The Redskins have reportedly also scheduled a visit with quarterback Tim Tebow next week; safety Eric Berry is expected to hit town tonight; and you can bet several other prospects will be streaming into Redskins Park over the next three weeks as well.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has said he intends to watch four or five quarterbacks throw in-person. Interestingly, he'll apparently have the opportunity to see Bradford and Jimmy Clausen throw on the same day. On April 15, the Redskins are scheduled to see the Notre Dame quarterback throw in South Bend, Ind., and Bradford work out in Norman. It'd seem Redskins coaches and officials are planning to log some serious air miles just one week before this year's draft.

By Rick Maese  |  March 31, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: With no changes on offensive line, Campbell might be Redskins' best option
Next: Redskins' preseason schedule: Buffalo, Baltimore, N.Y. Jets, Arizona

Comments

3 weeks to go, looking forward to seeing what happens...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Not doubting his physical skills. I'm doubting that he will be any different than any player who has had a serious concussion (Portis, Westbrook, Trent Green, Aikman, S. Young, etc.)

My point is, he's got one ringer left, and then it's retirement. I wouldn't touch him about the 4th round for that. Hope the guy has a great career, cuz Im not about wishing people get hurt, but not for us. Not for us because I dont trust it.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think you have to start worrying about concussions when a player starts having issues with multiple concussions. Aikman and Young didn't get forced out of the league by one hit. They had long histories with concussions. With all of those players listed, age was also an issue. Portis and Westbrook both have wear and tear. Aikman, Young and Green all had full careers despite multiple concussions.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 31, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Well of course they weren't scared off that would be stupid, they need to know what each player that may be there when they pick can do.

That way the can make a good choice as who to pick, you know like real pro teams do.

I know maybe they should just stay at the park and flip a F-king coin to see who to pick, then maybe they wouldn't have to travel so much.

Okung may be taken second I know lets not talk to him either, and why your at it lets drop Suh and Mccoy from the list as well because they might get taken before we pick.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 31, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Just as Socrates noted that the "The unexamined life is not worth living," so too is the case on RI: The unexamined J. Reid post is not worth reading.

So let it be written. So now let the explication begin.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 31, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Theres a good article on PFT where McShay is getting ripped by NFL scouts, it's to long to break up and post here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 31, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Or to paraphrase Bob Dylan: When you got a lot of knives and forks you gotta cut something.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how JC feels about the Redskins working out all of these quarterbacks...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Well LS, I got jumped on this morning for trying to make a comical statement, just like everyone else does,and I'm trying to take the high road. Not sure why I got singled out but oh well. Just here for fun.

Posted by: westjr88 | March 31, 2010 1:24 PM

Part of the hazing. Unlike a fraternity where only the pledges get hazed, here everyone gets hazed. What is this "high road" you speak of?

Our motto: Redskins Insider -- you come for the Redskins buy you stay for the jibba jabba.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 31, 2010 1:32 PM

link?

Posted by: skinswest | March 31, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 31, 2010 1:32 PM

link?

Posted by: skinswest | March 31, 2010 1:35 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 31, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | March 31, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

The QBs in that list didn't start developing concussions until later in their careers. But once they started, they kept happening.

What you are saying is correct, that those QBs were forced out because of cumulative damage. But that's exactly my point: Once you reach a certain level, that's it. You can't go back. And whatever Bests cumulative damage potential is, I guarantee you it's a helluva lot less after that hit.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Besides, we haven't yet been able to acquire the LBs that we need to run the 3-4 successfully.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 31, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"I'd buy that for a dollar." ROBO COP

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 31, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is gone. Will most likely be traded on draft day.

He sold his house and is living in a rented apartment at the moment.

Shanahan has told coaches he doesn't think Campbell has the necessary skills to even remotely succeed in his offense.

Grossman will be opening day starter.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

If I were him and
a) they draft a QB, and
b) they don't find a pair of tackles
I'd sit out the season. Why take another season of pounding, especially when you don't have a long-term deal in place to somewhat protect you from injury. Let Glassman take the hits.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Tracee Hamilton writes:
I think their need for Bradford is too great to trade the pick. (I still have my doubts about him as a No. 1 pick, too; am I the only one? I'm sure he looks good throwing but his problem is taking a hit.)

She makes a good point. What will happen when he gets hit the 1st time? Twice in one year during his senior year just makes me cringe as an NFL owner.

Posted by: overzealous08 | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

...Twice in one year during his senior year just makes me cringe as an NFL owner.

Posted by: overzealous08 | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Danny? Is that you?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The sad truth is no one in the league thinks much of Campbell. He's a class act, a great guy... but he has fundamental flaws in his game that are obvious on film. He has very little trade value -- if the Skins got a fourth for him on draft day, they'd be THRILLED.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | March 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Perfect, even has itys own typo

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM |

He's used to the blatant act of disrespect by now and will say he's going to let his actions speak for itself.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 31, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 1:34 PM

I object. When you say something stupid up here, you are more likely to get “beaned” than “hazed”……
HA! See what I did there?…….that was a good one.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 31, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

So far his actions have said: "duuhhhrrrrrrr".

lmao

maps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 31, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Shanahan has some offers for Campbell in hand right now. But I don't think he'll trade Campbell unless he gets the QB he wants in the draft.

My guess is that there is one QB in this draft that Shanahan likes much better than the others -- and he'll pick that guy or he won't pick a QB. He wants the next John Elway, not the next Jake Plummer.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I suppose they're both better than getting Dikked?

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 31, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM

Because he'd sign a contract to play. In exchange they will pay him -- what? $3 million? -- more than any other team is willing to pay him. Also, unless he plays well this year, there's no team in the league that will pay him more than vet. min next year.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

HA! See what I did there?…….that was a good one.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 31, 2010 1:59 PM
-----------------------------------------
There's a word for gratifying yourself through your own actions and it should be done in the privacy of your own home.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow....

3 meaningless posts in one morning.....

....The one previous to this one was even weaker than the 1st! We all know JReid is in the tank for his boy......

As he selectively plucked stats for his boy. The two people who were sacked more that JC were Aaron Rodgers and Ben Rothelsberger.

I would take both of them ahead of JC.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 31, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to say an apology for Campbell. Sorry about being the 15th most efficient, sorry for being 14th in passing yards, sorry for being 10th in completion %, sorry for having a career year behind one of the worst lines DC has ever had, and sorry that with the retirement of Warner I move up one slot in each category, essentially.

I feel really bad about putting up good numbers behind a cruddy line with no name RBs and a terrible coaching staff. I would especially like to apologies for not complaining or causing any trouble.

Sorry haters, I'm sure whatever rookie QB we draft will certainly rank better than 15th, 14th, and 10th respectively. Sanchez did it, oh no wait, my bad, no he didn't. And, matt ryan's sophomore campaign was better than his debut, oh wait, that's right, no it wasn't. Anyway sorry for being good and not great like the rest of the team, oh wait, they sucked.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I really do not see JC going anywhere. We have proven he has almost no trade value and at the same time you need a QB who can play during the year. I have a feeling we are going to take Cluasen, which makes me sad, and then let him learn for a year. In that case our Oline will still be mediocre at best and our team will be bad again next year. No point in playing Clausen at all his rookie year... as it is proven that if you let a QB sit for a year or so it works more often than it does if you just throw them in their first year (Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, I could keep going but I'm too lazy to look it up).

Thus, if we do this we will need at least 2 Qbs who can come in and play. Colt Brennan is not a starting QB in this league and has no business getting into real NFL games, thus we need a starter and a backup... ie. JC and Grossman. When, and with our line its only a matter of time, JC gets hurt, we put in Grossman... thus enabling CLausen to continue to sit and learn and not have to be thrust into the starting role....

It makes sense.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | March 31, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 1:33 PM |

Posted by: sthai75 | March 31, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Or perhaps even he knows he isn't very good and is praying they find a new QB so he can go to the bench and hold a clipboard where he belongs. He's the perfect backup, inaccurate, slow delivery, fumble prone, locks onto receivers, checks down too quickly and is unclutch, but will never say anything that would ever rock the boat, is very supportive of and gracious to his teammates despite their bazillion mistakes and under-performing and has strong arm, is durable, and now well versed in several different systems.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 31, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will ever be cursed with QB's whose first name begins with "J":

John Elway
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler

bum-da-da-bum....

The Washington Redskins now pick....

Jimmy Clausen!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

But if Bradford and Okung are both gone, I'm definitely hoping someone wants to trade up for Suh or McCoy. Get some more picks in this deep draft.

Another interesting idea I heard was possibly swapping picks with Denver. They get the #4 pick, we'd get Brandon Marshall and their #11 pick.

At that point we take the best OT on the board.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 31, 2010 12:36 PM |

Like your thoughts on the trade down, but don't think there's a big enough impact player at #4 this year that would cause someone to want our pick. Might work for Denver, however, giving them an excellent way to unload Marshall. We'll probably go with best athlete available or Clausen if they think he's worth the risk here. Don't hear CJ Spiller's name ever mentioned but he might also be thrown into the mix here.

Posted by: bones21 | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will ever be cursed with QB's whose first name begins with "J":

John Elway
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler

bum-da-da-bum....

The Washington Redskins now pick....

Jimmy Clausen!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:07 PM

Or it could be Jason Campbell...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"On draft day McShay will look like a fool because whether or not you like Clausen as a person he is very talented," the source said. "He has more training and game time in a pro system than any quarterback in the draft. His improvement from '08 to '09 was tremendous. If Notre Dame had a defense, Charlie Weis would still be there coaching. Offense was not the problem. I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented. He has a strong arm and is very accurate. Plus he has played a lot in a pro system."

Posted by: tony325 | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Ceratto was the one blasting McShay in that PFT article?

Posted by: dfbovey | March 31, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Dez Bryant: "Whoever passes up on me, it's over with"
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 31, 2010 1:47 PM ET
Former Oklahoma State Dez Bryant's Pro Day left him open to some criticism, and the wide receiver has heard enough.

"I'm not the type of person that will try to confront somebody but now I feel like it's gone too far. It's gone too far," Bryant said to The Associated Press. "I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

Bryant has a point. Most of the character concerns attached to him have been vague. Teams want to know how important football is to him, not if he needed a small army to help him wake up for class.

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with. I feel like I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did," he added. "That man had issues and teams were passing up on him, and when he got on that field, he killed them. He murdered them. Look at him today: One of the best players in the NFL."

Detractors may see these comments and say Bryant a loose cannon. I like his confidence.

We praise Peyton Manning for telling the Colts he'd kick their ass for the next 15 years if they passed on him. Bryant essentially just told the league the same thing.

Teams will take a receiver with edge over one that's unsure of his ability. A draft-day fall is only going to motivate Bryant.

Bryant also took umbrage with our report about his missing cleats. He said he had six pairs with him, just not his favorite one. And that it may not have made a difference.

"What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I haven't did anything wrong to nobody."

or more properly restated:

"I haven't did had to go to no class and didn't nobody teach me no nothing about no English."

and in other news, as a supplement to help him get over the potential money loss from a draft day fall....Oklahoma State's English Department has signed Dez to a lucrative endorsement contract to advertise their effective teaching methods. Before he got there he was unable to talk at all, just made weird noises, now after his time in their fine institution he can utter full phrases that resemble the English language.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 31, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It'd seem Redskins coaches and officials are planning to log some serious air miles just one week before this year's draft.

By Rick Maese | March 31, 2010; 1:12 PM ET

1. Do you get frequent flier miles on Redskins 1?

2. Do you think that Dan Snyder will be flying with them this year?

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

in other other news, it was revealed that Clinton Portis has secretly been getting Dez Bryant prepared for the NFL and has particularly focused on helping Dez with his public speaking abilities and interview giving.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 31, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

of course you would take big ben and Rodgers over Campbell, and neither of those guys are available.

Why don't you nae some other guys you would take who aren't available genius.

Hey I'd take Montana in his prime over anyone, is monana in his prime available? Yes over elway

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Oklahoma State's English Department has signed Dez to a lucrative endorsement contract....

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 31, 2010 2:13 PM

He would have learned a lot more if he'd gone to the U.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think JC will get one chance to prove people wrong in Shannys system.

One year, to learn it all again behind a young, if not bad o line again.

I put his odds at succeeding at 1-10000.

But when it is all said and done, and JC leaves here, it will not be that he failed, he was never really given a chance...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 31, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Run Awaaaaay from Jahvid Best.

There are concussions, and then there are concussions, and that guy got JACKED UP!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Agree. Our own "Gatorade" Barnes earned his nick rocking Best, adn that head plant he did was scary as hell. Guy has had two MAJOR discombobulating head shots that have let him seriously concussed.

In this new age of social concussion conciousness, Best is a very risky pick.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 31, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

expecting football players to talk well is like expecting poets to be good football players

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I put his odds at succeeding at 1-10000.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 31, 2010 2:22 PM

Huh? Cutler succeeded his first year in Shanahan's system. Plummer succeeded in his first year. But if Campbell fails, it's because "he wasn't given a chance"?

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

I believe he only gets paid if he's not hurt. He was lucky last season, because they could have dropped him like a hot potato if he got hurt.

Anyway, the scenario I mentioned would be an obvious case of expecting him to be a tackling dummy, so just on principle he should at least threaten to sit out.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I mean, really, I can't think of anything more trivial than concerning yourself with how a football players talks.

Me don't care how he talk as long as he do touchdown and tackle.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 31, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins now pick....

Jimmy Clausen!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:07 PM

Or it could be Jason Campbell...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Jamarcus Russell?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 31, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

When they post that new j-reezy 'bout drafting QBs all the bloggas go crazy
And watch the bloggas go crazy
He pops his collar then he swings my pen
You can catch him on RI pimping JC doing his thang
When they load that new j-reezy 'bout drafting QBs all the bloggas go crazy
And watch the bloggas go crazy

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 31, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Me don't care how he talk as long as he do touchdown and tackle.

Posted by: RedDMV
____________________

OK, Og, and your view on cheerleaders?

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 31, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with." - Dez Bryant

Love this classic job interview strategy.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 31, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins now pick....

Jimmy Clausen!!!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:07 PM

Or it could be Jason Campbell...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Jamarcus Russell?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | March 31, 2010 2:29 PM
------------------------------------------
That works, too, but note how Rex Grossman or Colt Brennan do not fit the pattern... I call this phenomenom the "J" factor.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

looked at 1995-2007 drafts to see how many drafts resulted in multiple decent/good QBs:

I've included the names of the QBs in each draft. (I left out some marginal guys who did start like Aaron Brooks and Kyle Boller)

2007 none
2006 2, Young, Cutler
2005 4, Rodgers, Orton, Campbell, Cassel
2004 4, eli, Rivers, Big Ben, Schaub
2003 3, Palmer, Leftwich, Grossman
2002 none
2001 2, Vick, Brees
2000 3, Pennington, Bulger, Brady
1999 2, McNabb, Culpepper
1998 3, Peyton, B Greise, M Hasselback
1997 1, Plummer
1996 none
1995 3, McNair, K Collins, K Stewart

So what is the point? How many times where there are 2 VERY GOOD QBs in one draft?

In 13 years I checked, 2004 is the ONLY year when 2 or more VERY GOOD QBs came out.

So what does THAT mean? It means that you probably don't want the 2nd best QB in the draft.

Note: I skipped 2008 and 2009 because its too early to judge, though the 2008 class of Flacco, Ryan and perhaps Henne look like they could be good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I believe he only gets paid if he's not hurt.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 2:26 PM

If he's on the roster on opening day his salary is guaranteed for the year. Threatening to sit out because he might get hurt will mark him as the biggest pussy in the NFL.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought this graph was particularly interesting/disturbing:

As GM, Cerrato was commissioned to spend time learning all about Clausen. He had several conversations with Mike Shanahan during the season, and Cerrato actually thought he would remain in his position once former head coach Jim Zorn was fired. But Cerrato had the rug pulled out from under him when he was also dismissed, and even though he’s on the outside, he is still a consultant for the team. So his information on Clausen will be used and will be considered valuable, in large part because he still remains friends with the owner and the new head coach.

--- Uh, why is he still having ANY influence on what the Redskins do?????

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 31, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Whoever passes up on me, it's over with." - Dez Bryant

Love this classic job interview strategy.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 31, 2010 2:34 PM

Just knocked Bradford out of being the number one pick. Skins can get him at 4, thanks to Bryant!

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The ultimate subtrefuge would be the whole 3-4 thing andvthe take suh or mcCoy and stick with the 4-3

Carter suh hayney daniels/orakpo

Forget about it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

LS - was Denver rebuilding their tackles that year? Or was the o line and running game pretty well established?

We may get two starting tackles, but they will be rooks.

So I dont think you can compare Cutler in Shannys system to JC.... BM#15 had something to do with it to.

Posted by: Zeebs | March 31, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

--- Uh, why is he still having ANY influence on what the Redskins do?????

Posted by: C-DubDC

Vinny has no influence on this team any more

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

and really it is the previous years he was not given a chance.

When all was good zorns first 8, JC looked like MVP material... when oline went down and peeps got tape on Zorn, defenses had their way.

JC will get a chance, i just dont think that chance is good...

Posted by: Zeebs | March 31, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:25 PM

Football players spend three or four years in college.

Poets don't play football -- they sit around and talk in clever rhymes.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has no influence on this team any more

Posted by: zcezcest1

Not according to Mike Lombardi @ the National Football Post in his most recent article. Apparently he still has sway in Ashburn. FML!!!

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 31, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

and speaking of subtrefuge or subterfuge? We aren't going to look at any other qbs? LeFevoure, pike, mcCoy

Interesting

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 31, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

oooh I just had an idea for what we call the new training camp:

Shanahanistan!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 31, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has no influence on this team any more

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: C-DubDC

Any idiot can write anything they want to. Shanahan isn't looking to Vinny anymore than Leno is asking for help from Conan.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Alshanistan?

Need to take an antihistamine now.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 31, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Phone rings:

MShanahan: Hello
VinnyC: Hi Mike, its Vinny Cerrato. Just wanted to let you know how much I think of Mr Clausen from Notre Dame. He's really matured and I like him a lot.
MS: Thanks for the input Vinny
VC: No problem, tell Mr. Snyder I said 'Hi'
MS: Will do, Bye Vinny
VC: Bye

Hang up phone

MS: Well there 20 seconds of my life I'll never get back

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Fixed it for ya...

MShanahan: Hello
VinnyC: Hi Mike, its Vi-Click......
VinnyC: We must have got cut off.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 31, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Discretion is the better part of courage, right? Something along those lines. Anyway, don't tell me if you were in his shoes you'd be strutting the company line if the FO expected you to take a beating for a year while the rookie studied film.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

From Maske:

There is growing sentiment within the league that the St. Louis Rams will use the top overall selection in the NFL draft on Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

(In my best Lou Gosset voice) "Only two things come from Oklahoma State... steers and illiterate wide receivers..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing any qb of ours getting crushed next year behind the same crappy offensive line

Posted by: kickass10101 | March 31, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 31, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

And HOF Running Backs. At least in the late 80's, anyway

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, nice link.

quote of the week:
"I will agree that Clausen may have some A-hole in him but he is extremely talented."

Will Shanahan draft an an A-hole? Stay tuned.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 31, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

If we pick Clausen, I'm in a major pickle. Because I've already picked my pickle -- Marc-Edouard Vlasic (defenseman for the Sharks).

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Well preseason we play the bills /Ravens at home away the Jets/cards no dates or times yet

Oh no national TV this Preseason for the Skins

Posted by: joevick2 | March 31, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 31, 2010 2:59 PM

What do you think he is -- a GS-15 with lifetime job security who can say "that's not in my job description?"

He's a professional who's going to be paid $3 million and he has to perform well to get another job. He's going to do whatever it takes.

Posted by: League-Source | March 31, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Schedule beeps

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 31, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

At the Cards? WTF would we want to travel cross country in preseason to play in the GD desert.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | March 31, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought that PFT article on McShay was pretty much on the money. Kiper doesn't know much about football, but he does have good sources. McShay is just fronting. Mayock clearly knows more than the rest, but he's restricted by relying on his own judgment -- a consensus is often more reliable.

But face it -- anybody who says he can predict a player's future is selling something.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 31, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

_____
Yeah Shanahan is doing all this so he can draft a tackle at number 4.. Face it Shanahan knows the skins need a new QB.. and the reason he is looking at Bradford is just in case the Rams DON'T sign him. But it looks like that they will... People are down on Clausen but I hope he has a great workout cause it's looking like he will be it...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 31, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is gone. Will most likely be traded on draft day.
He sold his house and is living in a rented apartment at the moment.
Grossman will be opening day starter.
Posted by: MylesMonroe
______
Great news.. only hope it's true... I'm so glad to see at least Shanahan has some sense...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 31, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Business Confidential:
SNYDER SECRETLY STOCKPILING THIRD STRING QBS

Part 1

ASHBURN, VA – It’s an economics lesson as old as Adam Smith and his classic teachings about the laws of supply and demand. Essentially, if you have a good supply of an in-demand item, you can usually sell it for a profit.

But the real barons of business and industry are seldom content with just turning a profit. They’ll explain, why just compete for a profit when you can “corner” a market by singlehandedly controlling a substantial share of a limited supply and high-demand item and commodity that – if properly tendered and traded – could allow you to make a real killing in the marketplace?

Redskin Outsider has learned that the Redskins scouting and coaching staffs have been spending most of the off-season traveling around the country in search of third string quarterbacks. According to our sources, team owner Dan Snyder put out the edict that he wants the Washington Redskins to be known from here forward and forevermore as the “supplier of choice” for third string quarterbacks.

According to business analysts, Snyder’s choice of this unique market niche is really as odd as it might initially appear to be for some outsiders. Frankly, the team has already been dealing in third string quarterbacks for years.

For example, the knock on current “starting” quarterback Jason Campbell is that he is a strong-armed but inaccurate passer who tries to do as well as he can with his limited skill set, but has yet to display the necessary finesse to handle some of the finer points of a modern NFL passing scheme. For example, Campbell appears to have great difficulty in consistently throwing an accurate fade pattern to a receiver running to the outer edge of the end zone -- admittedly one of the most difficult throws in the game -- or consistently completing timing patterns to pass receivers cutting to the sidelines.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 31, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan will ever be cursed with QB's whose first name begins with "J":
John Elway
Jake Plummer
Jay Cutler
bum-da-da-bum....
The Washington Redskins now pick....
Jimmy Clausen!!!
Posted by: RedSkinHead
_____
Elway was a curse??? Two Super Bowl wins is not a curse... besides might as well get Jimmy otherwise he'll be stuck with Jason (Campbell).. now that's a curse...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 31, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Business Confidential:
SNYDER SECRETLY STOCKPILING THIRD STRING QBS

Part 2

Campbell’s defenders will tell you that is as accurate and effective as any other quarterback in the game, and readily quote statistics that seem to show him to be a middle-of-the pack and improving player. Unfortunately, they neglect to mention that this quarterback seems to rely more than most on a unusually high number of screen passes and other short-yardage “dink and dump” passes to outlet receivers.

All in all, Campbell seems to embody the best attributes of a modern third string quarterback in that he is somewhat competent, relatively quiet (to the point being almost a non-entity when it comes field leadership), respected by many (but not all) of his teammates, and modestly priced. (Despite having played five years in the league and starting for three, he is still working on a rookie contract that will pays him a modest $4 million this year.)

Then the key question becomes, can the Redskins – or for that matter, any other team -- win with Campbell?

Probably not.

After enduring an ever-changing series of coaches and offensive schemes over the past several years, even Campbell admits that he must “unlearn” many of the “bad lessons” he picked up from earlier coaches before he can successfully move on with a new coach or offensive system.

But still, many Redskin Outsiders will tell you that if you surround Campbell with 10 Pro Bowl caliber players, and give him a very simple offensive scheme, as well as lots of coaching and patience, well then he may not embarrass himself or the rest of the team too badly.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 31, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Business Confidential:
SNYDER SECRETLY STOCKPILING THIRD STRING QBS

Part 3

The challenge, of course, is finding another team that might have a demand for a quarterback such as Campbell. And thus far, there appear to be few, if any takers.

Much of the same goes with new Redskin quarterback Rex Grossman. After falling last season into third place on the quarterback depth chart with the Houston Texans, the quarterback formerly known as “Sexy Rexy” was released by the Texans and brought into Washington by new offensive coordinator Kurt Shanahan. The story goes that Grossman will help install and teach Shanahan’s offensive scheme to the Washington quarterbacking corps, and maybe even compete with Campbell for the “starting” quarterback role.

However, team insiders just give you a glazed stare when you remind that that Grossman was signed to a one-year contract and for league near-minimum rates – which can only lead this writer to conclude that he is probably little more than another modestly competent and modestly priced third string quarterback who should be available soon for trading to other teams.

Snyder seems to appreciate the value of trades and “other considerations,” and particularly the latter. During this year’s pre-Superbowl parties hosted by the eventual league champion New Orleans Saints, Snyder got to party with all sorts of celebrities and groupies, including Saints runner Reggie Rush and his (then) girlfriend Kim Kardashian, and Hollywood comedy actress Cameron Diaz.

Few seemed to draw the correlation that the both backup quarterbacks on the Saints roster – Mark Brunell and Chase Daniel -- spent substantial parts of their earlier seasons with the Redskins. But league insiders know and appreciated the fact that Washington appears to be pretty effective at turning out backup quarterbacks for other teams.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 31, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Business Confidential:
SNYDER SECRETLY STOCKPILING THIRD STRING QBS

Part 4

As one of the first NFL team owners to recognize the economic potential of this unique market niche, Snyder has enlisted the support of a not-so-unlikely ally. In new head coach Mike Shanahan, Snyder is said to believe that he now has a coach who can take the owner’s business model for developing third-string quarterbacks and mass produce it into a much more lucrative enterprise.

Shanahan is widely regarded as just the sort of coach who can turn middle of the road quarterback prospects into professional football players -- and Snyder is quickly becoming known as the supplier of choice for the best backups.

As this year’s college draft approaches, the Redskin scouting and coaching staff have been out on the road working out and interviewing all of the top college quarterback prospects -- including highly hyped Oklahoma University quarterback Sam Bradford, Notre Dame Jimmy Clausen, and Florida televangelist Tim Tebow.

While few real analysts expect any of these quarterbacks to start a regular season game in the 2010 because it typically takes a new quarterback fresh from college a season or two to get ready to play in the big leagues.

But that little fact only makes Snyder want them more.

And now you, dear reader, know why.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 31, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Clausen is the pick unless he has a bad pro day.

This is a done deal

Mike/Kyle/Bruce/Dan

they are all on the same page. Bradford and Tebow are smoke screens.
If we can get Jared Gaither for a second, it a done deal.

Trade JC17 if you can and start Grossman until the new JC is ready.

Brennen is the # 3