Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Russell Okung

With the first round of the NFL Draft just hours away, we'll take a look at the prospects the Redskins could be targeting with the fourth overall pick and gauge the likelihood of each landing in Washington. Check back for updates.

Player: Russell Okung, offensive tackle, Oklahoma State

Basics: 6-5, 307 pounds. As a senior, allowed only one quarterback sack on 336 pass plays.

Why he might fit: Left tackle is the Redskins' biggest hole, and Okung might be the safest choice. Talent evaluators love Okung's 36-inch arms, and many expect him to be a starter for years. He allowed only three sacks and six pressures his final two seasons.

Started six games at right tackle as a freshman and moved to left tackle to start his sophomore season. Added 50 pounds in four years at Oklahoma State and could get bigger.

Reasons against the pick: For starters, the Lions pick at No. 2, and they might want a tackle to protect Matthew Stafford, last year's big investment. At the NFL Combine, Okung posted slower times than Trent Williams in the 10-yard, 20-yard and 40-yard dashes.

Chances Redskins draft him: 75 percent. If the Redskins want an offensive tackle, only two of the top O-line prospects make sense, and Okung would be a solid choice.

By Rick Maese  |  April 22, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Eric Berry
Next: Trent Williams talks zone blocking and Redskins

Comments

What a bunch of idiots you guys are. You can't have the percentages greater than 100%.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

draft this guy!

Tired of chatting about it.

I care more about day 2&3

Thoughts...

Posted by: byrdinthesky | April 22, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is this. The Skins know that they must upgrade the OL. 100% certainty that the Skins upgrade the OL. They didn't get McNabb for the long term and they don't want to see him getting hit like a piñata this season.

Everything else revolves around what else can be accomplished. If the 2 degrees (BA and MS) can figure out how to get OL help and get Berry, they'll do that. But every plan has OL help first.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

2) L-S, I don't know to laugh or tell you to 'Front run deez nutz'.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:18 PM

I'm hoping you decide on the former. Don't try your luck with me. I've copied some of your old retorts and I'm ready to use them on you.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

LS-

We all give 110% effort, as does AH. Why is this bad?

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins biggest "hole" is Snyder

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

With their aptitude for %s, Maese and JReid ought to be selling subprime mortgages

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Or wrong?

Just because > 100% is not possible?

Sheesh. Cynic.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

This makes the most sense; so it won't happen...

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

how is there a 70% chance they draft berry and a 75% change they draft okung? how many of the first 5 picks belong the redskins?

Posted by: cavemandave | April 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Well I meant it as a joke, but since you went for the tiresome, easy comeback, we can play it this way.

The worst thing about being you now, is you are forced to spend your entire life in your own, miserable company.

Posted by: TheCork

SHUT YOUR MOUTH ESSAY!

Go switch out your maxi-pad, Cork. I was only 75% serious anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Be respectful Red. Cork was the Holly Morris of his day when he was on Channel 7 news. I used to catch his reports after watchiing ABC's Afterschool Special or Girls Girls Girls during Elvis Week.

Posted by: learnedhand1

And as for Red's unindicted co-conspirator...er thanks for watching. Oh wait, you, in your adorable masochistic way, want an insult: How about: No surprise you watched Afterschool Specials, because...ah, I got nothing.

Just can't bring myself to insult a guy who remembers I was on TV in DC that long ago.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news

There is a 143% chance that math is bieng boycotted at RI

250% chance that no one from the WAPO has any clue what the redskins will actually do

300% chance that shanallen shock the RI world

1000% chance that this will be my only post of the day and that the american education system is failing us all.

Posted by: DG28 | April 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news

There is a 143% chance that math is bieng boycotted at RI

300% chance that shanallen shock the RI world

Posted by: DG28 | April 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

draft this guy!

Tired of chatting about it.

I care more about day 2&3

Thoughts...

Posted by: byrdinthesky | April 22, 2010 2:07 PM

It interesting that you say this. I believe that rds 3 and 4 are the money rounds in this draft. Teams should get great value at RB, LB (including Hybird DE), OG, S,and WR. There will be talented guys at these positions that get pushed down.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember Willard Scott as the local Bozo the Clown.

That's just sad.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:05 PM

I think RM and JR each have their own %s, so you might want to check that.

Okung-a Matata! What a wonderful phrase.
Okung-a Matata, ain't no PASSING craze!
It means no worries at LT for the rest of our days...
It's our problem free...draft philosophy...
Okung-a Matata!!
Okung-a
Matata
Okung-a
Matata...

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

full out idiots writing for the WaPo

Posted by: League-Source

Um, iif they're "full out idiots," what does it make someone who hangs on their every word, as demonstrated by your possessing the fastest Beep-Beep on the blog?

Hey, LS, we KID because we love. Don't go all RedDMV on me, and hurt me to the quick with a cruel retort about my race and my manhood.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Trade Donovan to Steelers for Big Ben. Let JC start until Big Ben is ready to go.
Trade AH to Raiders for McFadden and draft pick.
Trade CP for a draft pick
Keep Rocky or Trade for a Draft pick
Win Super Bowl.

Posted by: ljhartnett24 | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Devil's Advocate Time:

"Talent evaluators love Okung's 36-inch arms, and many expect him to be a starter for years. He allowed only three sacks and six pressures his final two seasons."

The question is, did R Okung succeed because he played again weaker defensive linemen?

Has anyone seen any evaluations of the players he faced?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I know folks like to bash Danny and he has certainly made some poor decisions, but I will defend him to this extent: at least he is trying like heck to put together a winning team and sparing no expense in doing so. He has learned (hopefully) some tough lessons about how *not* to do that over the past decade. Let's hope ShanAllen represents a turning of the corner for Danny and the franchise.

What is far, far worse than someone like Danny is some cheapskate owner who is not even trying to field a winning team. I am a lifelong Orioles fan and can say with total conviction that I would take a misguided but well-intentioned owner like Danny every time over an owner like Angelos.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Has anyone seen any evaluations of the players he faced?

Posted by: MistaMoe"

There was an evaluation that one Mr. Orakpo provided regarding his experience against Okung.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Our sources have confirmed that BeantownGreg1 is a homo. While speculation has been ongoing for weeks, we now can confirm the story after he and Washington Post Beat-off writer JR we caught together in a bathroom stall at a gas station close to Redskin Park.

That's disgusting. Two turd knockers pulling a Panter's cheeleader stunt like that. Both of them should be banned from the blog. While the blog ain't no James Dobson fambly fest, still there have to be some standards to uphold.

Posted by: ElDrano | April 22, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wait was Cork really on TV in DC? If so, how long ago? I hope not before remote controls or that may explain any spike in suicide rates at the time.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | April 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

There is a 78% chance that Rick Maese did better on the verbal portion of the SATs than the math portion.

But I like all these percentages. I'm feeling really good going in to this draft. Looks like we anticipate getting a couple more first round picks out of trading Haynesworth, Campbell and Landry. And maybe another mercy pick for signing Brandon Lloyd. Kind of like a golf handicap.

Posted by: catholicpriestsliketoparty | April 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't know anything about Okung or Williams except what I've heard from others.

One thing everyone seems to bring up about Williams is his versatility. I don't want versatile. I want a great LT and I don't care if can he do anything else.

Whoever is a going to be a great LT, just get him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen any evaluations of the players he faced?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM |

Most of the DL that he faced for some reason had round toes which made it a lot easier to knock them off balance. With round toes it is much harder to maintain vertical equilibrium.

Posted by: ElDrano | April 22, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Statistics: we have 4 draft picks- there is a one hundred percent chance we need more

Posted by: ElYeah | April 22, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

beep beep
full out idiots writing for the WaPo
Posted by: League-Source
Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:18 PM

You haven’t noticed that he’s a changed man? He used to back you up with the “you know where to send your resume” quote all the time, but that wasn’t getting him any friends. Now he’s trying to fit in with the cool crowd by making sure he slams the writers every day.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

L-S, try it you'll be hearing from my attorney, believe that!

What's sad is that Cork really thinks that I'm trying to insult him. Perhaps you should check my record RE: Insults

I'm just throwing Scooby snacks at you right now. Pull your skirt down and re-apply your mascara, Cork. It ain't all that serious.

Every villain needs that hero wannabe counterpart. Batman had the The Riddler, Marty McFly had three generations Tannens, Jason Campbell has skinsneedaGM and vic1, Obama has scampbell1975, and I have you.

It is what it is.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

It's 98% they won't draft a punter with the 4th pick.
lol

Posted by: jmy999 | April 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Go switch out your Maxi-pad.

Posted by: RedDMV

"Go switch out your Maxi-pad"? Is THAT your final comeback?

Oh my God, as retorts go, that's beyond pathetic. Are you channeling your inner third grader? Copying your homework from your dog?

Or... Maybe it's my fault. Maybe I've gone too far and left you bitter and broken.

No, wait. That would be redundant.

Oh well, try to get your rapier-sharp wit jump-started. I'm gonna take some time off RI and freshen up for the draft.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I remember Willard Scott as the local Bozo the Clown.

I thought he was the original Ronald McDonald? But they replaced him because he was, er, too fat.

Can he play tackle?

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we are now up to 180% chance we will pick somebody. He might be correct.

Posted by: Carradon | April 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow! 5 hours before the draft, some still predicting.Why not just wait?

Posted by: abxinc | April 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

can't wait to read your draft recap there corky...such insight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I thought he was the original Ronald McDonald? - SteveMG

He was that, too, as I recall. But he was the local BtC as well.

Jim Henson did Wilkins and Wontkins, too. Ain't THAT a kick?

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we are now up to 180% chance we will pick somebody. He might be correct.

Posted by: Carradon | April 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny..

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

...with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 12:53 PM

I heard that dolphin b!tch was drunk and dressed scantily...she was asking for it!

Posted by: stevek20147 | April 22, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Oooh, Monty, can I see what's behind door number 3??"

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So what I have gathered so far

10% chance we pick Clausen
20% chance we pick Bradford
60% chance we pick Berry

That leaves a 10% chance we pick a Okung or Williams?

Maybe JReid knows more than we think...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 12:15 PM

Well we're up to 165% now and we haven't even gotten to the other LT who I think Reid will give 85% to. I think it turns out that JReid knows less than we think, not more.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Re-post

I love all of these insane predictions!!! Here's what's going to happen, we will trade Donovan, AH, and 2 passes to the all-u-can eat buffet at Phillips to Oakland who will send Heyward-Bey, the wrestling costumes of the Road Warriors, and their first rounder to Cleveland, who will Jedi mind trick the Rams GM, causing him to swap first rounders with the Browns who will take Bradford, and give him to us. And that's my plan.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | April 22, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The sun will come out tomorrow,
There's a one million, three hundred fifty thousand, twenty-seven percent chance,
That tomorrow there'll be sun.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Trade AH to Raiders for McFadden and draft pick.
Trade CP for a draft pick
Keep Rocky or Trade for a Draft pick
Win Super Bowl.

Posted by: ljhartnett24 | April 22, 2010 2:19 PM |

Trade Donovan to Steelers for Big Ben. Morals ain't never going to compensate for the difference between a QB just hitting his prime and one past his prime.

Trade AH to Raiders for McFadden and draft pick. Skins will be lucky to get a third rounder from the Lions for Fat Albert.

Trade CP for a draft pick You'd be lucky to get the proverbial "box of used condoms" for him.

Keep Rocky or Trade for a Draft pick Thats 99% tautology.

Win Super Bowl. That's 99% fan optimism.

Posted by: ElDrano | April 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1

Agree whole heartedly. Bieng an oriole fan the last twelve years has been much more difficult than maintaining my Redskin fanhood. At least danny is trying to field a winner. Eventually just out of pure dunb luck he will get it right. Angelos drove one of the best baseball franchises straight into the ground and is laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: DG28 | April 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how true it is, but PFT was saying that McFadden can be had at the cost of a 5th. I'd jump ALL over that. Young cat, with wheels. I'd send them JC in exchange for him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Jim Henson did Wilkins and Wontkins, too. Ain't THAT a kick?

Yep, I remember watching Henson's stuff as a child growing up in Annandale.

Just checked and that (W&W) was the early 60s but I wasn't born then. I remember (I think) the late sixties shows.

It's all a blur now. Must've been all that bad Ovaltine I consumed.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

One of the many differences today with me and you Cork is that you "retort" while I'm just "saying".

Like I said, I'm not trying to get into some back and froth that won't go anywhere, so why would I feel a need to retort?

I'm not into your silly attention starved games today, Cork. Go play with yourself.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about picks made me think of CR22 this must be the couches trying to couch him up a bit... "Pick it is another term for interception Carlos, it is what you do when you don't drop the ball..."

Posted by: Burrasta1 | April 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Please note, I did some extensive trade up scenarios to the skins pick about 3 weeks ago saying Berry would be the bait cause our FO is good at dangling and subterfuge.

If prior reports are true (and they are aswirlin') and it does actually fall that way...and someone moves up to 4 to take berry...... i would like due recognition.

Just sayin is all

Now if they draft berry, the LL is going to become full time OLB... and I will be dead wrong...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Confirmation that RI readers have no serious education: Probabilities don't add to 100%, you yahoos. Probability is the chance in 100 opptys that an event will happen. Each oppty and set of opptys stands on its own. Oh, what am I saying, you reserve the right to criticize without the basis of genuine thought.

Posted by: MrChili | April 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrChili | April 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think most people understand what you are saying, but what we believe should happen is that the probabilities should be posted as ratios. Like the odds are 10:1 that Clausen is the pick. In sports (Ok sports betting) this is usually how things are done. We could sit here all day and talk about the difference in odds ratios and probabilities and comparison of chance vs. something happening to you vs. me (IE a smoker's chances of getting lung cancer vs. non-smokers etc)

Fact is, there is s static group of players that the Skins could draft and that could technically mean any eligible player, so putting percentages on it is very confusing to the average fan. All I said was that this ridiculous exercise should have bee parsed differently.

Carry on....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 22, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

how in the hell is okung 75% drafted by skins and berry 60%...theres only 100% to go round............??

Posted by: jmshoeb | April 22, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Reid you stupid Walrus, don't post again until you know something new.

Posted by: trezmartin | April 22, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Burrasta1, What are they going to do with CR22 ask him to lay down? (couch him up?) WHAT?

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 22, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse