Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Eric Berry

With the first round of the NFL Draft just hours away, today we'll take a look at the prospects the Redskins could be targeting with the fourth overall pick and gauge the likelihood of each landing in Washington. Check back for updates.

Player: Eric Berry, safety, Tennessee

Basics: 6-foot, 211 pounds. Had 14 interceptions in three seasons at Tennessee. Expected to become only the fourth top-five draft pick at safety in 30 years. The Redskins in 2004 selected the last top-five safety: Sean Taylor.

Why he might fit: Coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett are eager to produce more turnovers, and Berry is a big-time playmaker. He totaled 494 return yards and scored three touchdowns on interceptions for the Volunteers. As a junior, Berry had seven picks for 265 yards and two touchdowns. That's why he has been compared favorably with Baltimore Ravens future Hall of Famer Ed Reed, who arguably is as good as anyone who ever played the position.

Reasons against the pick: With their problems at offensive tackle, Berry might be a luxury the Redskins simply cannot afford. The Redskins have assigned a high grade to Berry, who some in the organization believe is the top overall player in the draft in terms of pure talent. But he doesn't play tackle.

Chances Redskins draft him: 60 percent. The personable Berry impressed during his visit to the complex, and his off-the-chart ability jumped out at the Redskins on film. They'll be torn about possibly passing on Berry. If the Redskins decide not to take a tackle at No. 4, however, we wouldn't be surprised if Berry is their guy.

By Jason Reid  |  April 22, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Berry possibility remains intriguing
Next: Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Russell Okung

Comments

Uh, no picking any berries please.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

60%? Now that's going out on a limb! Smokescreen! LaRon Landry will be a last-minute substitute for Chris Samuels tonight.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

60 percent? As awesome as Berry is, a perennial pro bowl tackle (or one with the talent to be so) is more appealing.

Posted by: hobbes9 | April 22, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

**Re-Post**

I would not be at all upset if we took Berry. Yes, we need a tackle but Berry is the best player in the draft.

Posted by: Original_etrod

I've been saying this since last November and was mobbed and stoned to death by the "upgrade the offensive line" advocates...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

We're up to 95% and no offensive tackles yet.

Posted by: jimwest20 | April 22, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

**Re-Post**

Posted by: Original_etrod

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:10 PM

I would have no complaint either. The Skins would have to make a trade to sure up LT, but Berry is a playmaker in the secondary, one of which the team surely needs.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

No mock has had the Skins picking Berry since February by PFT...

Posted by: hobbes9 | April 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:10 PM

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...." Red's front running Jason Reid now.

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

So what I have gathered so far

10% chance we pick Clausen
20% chance we pick Bradford
60% chance we pick Berry

That leaves a 10% chance we pick a Okung or Williams?

Maybe JReid knows more than we think...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Those are the only 3 safeties in the top 10 since 2005, any of them worth it? let someone else gamble on a position of luxury and why don't we worry about keeping our pro bowl QB (that's fun to say by the way) standing up for more that 2 seconds each snap.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Berry will be the pick - and he should be. The reason is that the tackles at the top are not "special" enough for #4 overall. Berry is special. It's the smart pick, and it makes the team scary as hell on D. With Berry at FS and landry playing his natural position - we will go from suspect to one of the best secondaries in the league overnight.

Seriously - this is the pick and they will take it. They'll get a lineman some other way. Flozell, Gaither... Finding something good but not great is not so hard. Go for special when you pick that high. Eric Berry.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | April 22, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Vince Young?

And Brown, IF what you're saying about McNabb is true; that he basically stopped running because of what people thought of him, well then he's just weak mentally in that regard. And IF true, I now have SERIOUS doubts about his leadership abilities and maybe gives some insight into why the Eagles were willing to part with him.

If I had the ability to outrun NFL defenders I would do it, outside conceptions be damned!

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:04 PM

I said "starting caliber"...Vince Young is barely that.

But even if I grant you that, he's still an elite athlete for a QB.

To your 2nd point, I don't think it makes him weak-minded per se, I think he just wanted to be a better QB than athlete. He still ran when absolutely necessary, it's just that taking off running after your 2nd read isn't making you a better QB, it's letting athleticism be a crutch.

So I'm actually encouraged by that display on his part because it shows that he doesn't want to take any shortcuts to success. I think he has the goods...you have to in order to be the QB of a perennial contender.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Umm, no.

Safties are a dime a dozen.

Heed my words.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

1) Don't pay attention to the mocks -- I don't care who they're from. Most of the mocks from people you'll read have just as much insight as us. Plainly put they're all speculation. Like with Reid and his "%'s".

2) L-S, I don't know to laugh or tell you to 'Front run deez nutz'.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I said "starting caliber"...Vince Young is barely that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

You also listed Michael Vick among "starting caliber" QB's.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 22, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

A 60% chance of drafting Berry??? Really?? so are you saying that Okung, Williams, the two QBs and trading out of the pick altogether amount to only a 40% chance?

Truly, this is about as whacked a prediction as I've ever seen you make, Jason. You're usually pretty solid, but 60% on a safety???

Posted by: ndickover | April 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

FAT AL FOR A 3rd rounder?? YOu can't be serious.. I hate the guy, but for 4 mil a year, I would much rather keep the fatty than give him away for a 3rd rounder. That would be duuuuuuuuuumb.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

check back for updates~teeheeheeheehee

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to back off the critiques of Reid and Maese, but this is ridiculous. As an earlier poster pointed out, we are now left with a 5% margin to draft a T. Does that mean 2.5% each for Williams and Okung?

Earlier this week while reporting on the H. Green signing there was a hidden gem from Reid that said "He was out of the league in 2006 OR 2007" Nice research. It's like you're in a bar shooting the breeze..."He had one or two superbowls, can't remember..."

The bar is set so low that I really have no expectations for RI anymore, and complaining seems more and more useless, but this is truly amateur hour type stuff. Unless there is some radical new math I am missing, a 3rd grader could break these percentage chances out better than "The Mayor".

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The skins are in a real bad spot!

They want to trade down-if they can't get this done-what do they do.

Draft for need or best value?

Clausen or berry would make sense..

IF! you feel you can get a tackle-even short term.

Posted by: byrdinthesky | April 22, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

No way we trade Al for a 3rd. He is worth a late 1st or an early second. Or Detroit's Second and Third. Shanallen won't give away that type of dominant player for nothing.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Just saw this article online. OMG! Please don't do it! If you can't get a lineman, trade down and get some picks.

Posted by: robostop10 | April 22, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you a mock you can take to the bank Red.

1. STL - Ndomakung Suh, DT
2. DET - Russel Okung, OT
3. TB - Gerald McCoy, DT
4. CLE (via WAS) - Sam Bradford, QB
5. KC - Eric Berry, S
6. SEA - CJ Spiller, RB
7. DEN (via WAS) - Jimmy Clausen, QB
8. OAK - Dez Bryant, WR
9. BUF - Dan Williams, NT
10. JAX - Tim Tebow, QB

There's your top ten, right there.

Oh, and the Redskins acquire a 1st rounder (via Denver) in 2010, two 3rd rounders (via Denver and Cleveland) in 2010, a 3rd rounder in 2011 (via Denver), and a 4th rounder in 2011 (via Cleveland).

And we select Charles Brown in the first round.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

Um, no hero, I actually don't recall anyone calling Laron Landry the most talented player in the draft. And Whitner and Huff aren't getting the praises that Berry is.

It's no secret that the Redskins need help on the offensive line, I KNOW THIS.. we all know this, but at the same time IF they drafted Berry I wouldn't drive out to Redskins Park and set my 'Skins paraphernalia outside the front door either.

It sounded crazy before because it was just coming from an RI commenter, but fast forward five months later and it isn't completely outside the realm of possibility, is it?

The way that you see it going down zj, doesn't mean that is the ONLY and logical possible scenario.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins' prospects with No. 4 pick: Eric Berry"

I'm not feeling this path to the draft.

In fact, it's got me wishing we were moving in the direction of discussing, for example, what other players there are to consider.

After all, the weakness in these threads is that they assume we only have the #4 pick.

What player options exist as in rounds 4, 5 and 7 at the spots we have?

I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, with your other percentages of QBs and defensive tackle, you're down to 5% for picking on of the OTs. Really??? I mean Really?

Or are you using magical percentage categories that somehow exceed 100%? Is this going to be a 275% total pie? This would make sense, of course, if you graded both OTs at 90% chance of being drafted - which really, compared to your 60% chance for safety is the only thing that would make sense. But um, just FYI, common use has it that 100% is the total amount of the pie.

Posted by: ndickover | April 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

psp, I like....however doesn't seem like we got enough for trading back twice...shouldn't there be a 2nd in there somewhere....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand... so there's a 5% chance we draft an Offensive Lineman. I'm fine with Berry, but if we draft Clausen at 4 I'm done.

Posted by: ejjam2 | April 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"And rightly so, remember when Laron Landry was the most talented player in the draft? Remember when Michael Huff and Donte Whitner were can't miss safeties?"

Not really. I remember Michael Huff and Donte Whitner were very questionable picks when they were selected top 10. But I do remember Landry being touted as a great player (but not even close to the best in the draft -- as Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were considered light years ahead of everyone else in talent).

However, I do remember one Sean Taylor being touted as the best player in the draft, at one point in time...

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we should trade our next 10 1st picks for the top 5 picks this year. Bradford, Suh, Berry, Okung, Williams, Moodly (cows make great OL).
This is as likely as any other speculation up here (except Moodly, of course. Unless they want to draft the main course. Mmmmmm, beef!)
Whatever happens, likely there will be incomprehensible weirdness leading up to the draft, followed by sensible draft action by new management, which may include trades, but may not.
I have decided not to renewed my tix until after I figure out how psychotic they intend to be over the next three days. Draft was my third issue, schedule was the fourth (I hate night games, especially late in the season). [Bug eyes was the first, credible coach second; Mission Accomplished there...]

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

We just need to make the most of this #4 pick and avoid mortgaging our future.

! - trade down; if we can't,
c - draft best available player that fits schemes
$ - use FA/trades to improve at OT

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If this leak is for real, the Redskins will take Berry. They will not pass on the draft's top talent in order to plug a hole for a 4-12 team. This absymal team needs talent right now, not to plug every hole with a reach pick based on need.

Posted by: Dellis2 | April 22, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

psps, the only thing I take to the bank is deposit slips...

But the draft could very well go down like that.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I suspect the percentages that Jason Reid is showing is based on the chances that the Redskins will draft that player versus some other player in the draft.

So, he believes that there is a 60 percent chance that during the course of the draft Berry will be the selection. I don't think he intended the percentage to additive.

Since Berry is almost sure to be on the Board at #4 and is believed to be among the best in this years draft that would increase the odds of the Skin's selecting him, versus other players. It also indicates that Jason believes the Skins will go best available player versus drafting specifically for need.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Just remember, we picked laron landry one pick before adrian peterson.

Posted by: weekapaug | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS WILL PICK Bradford AND SEND THE 1ST PICK THIS YEAR AND 2011 1ST PICK....SENDING MCNABB, LANDRY AND AlBERT HAYNESWORTH TO THE BROWN FOR THIER 7TH

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Pick Barry

Trade Campbell, Haynesworth, and others for OTs.

or

Trade down

Posted by: heyjoe728 | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Which top defensive prospects were one man wrecking crews last year in college? Suh was for Nebraska in a couple of the games I watched. Any others? I did not see any TN games so I don't know if Berry was or not.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about all the subject verb disagreement...I'll blame it on draft day excitement.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

What about this concept: we swallow the $32 million poison pill, and trade Fat Albert to Tennessee for a 2nd and a later round pick this year. We use those to pick up Gaither as our new left tackle from the Ravens and take Berry with our own 1st pick. We trade Campbel for a 4th or whatever, and use this and our other late round picks to get whatever we can. And that is pretty much our draft for this year. Maybe next year we will have a few more picks of our own to begin with. Unfortunately, we cannot make it all happen at one time.

Posted by: northvajim2 | April 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Is this something you read? Or are these the ramblings of a luntatic?

Posted by: heyjoe728 | April 22, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Pick Barry

Trade Campbell, Haynesworth, and others for OTs.

or

Trade down

Posted by: heyjoe728 | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Barry Sanders? Who's Barry?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to Reid surpassing 100%...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Robo, I saw Tom Condon pimping it live on ESPN.

The RI move I like the best so far is the guy who had us some how moving back into the first and getting the OT from USC. Props to whoever gut that guy up, I'm too lazy to go back to the last thread. "Prototypical zone blocking Tackle" Alrighty, then.

Berry is BPA; LL is NOT a FS. Taking Berry upgrades two spots and the ST/LL vision is reborn. (LL sure seems more at peace and onboard for the big win now that he has been moved back in the box, no?)

Taking Okung/ T Williams likely provides a ten year starter at LT. Its safe, its an obvious need, and its a good move.

Moving down and still getting T Williams/Bulaga or Brown(the USC tackle) AND another top 40 pick would be an excellent move as well.

Selvish Capers could come in and compete as a mid rounder if you could not get another pick in the first or got scalped and Brown is off the board.

The only thing that seems like an epic reach would be going to get Bradford. We don't need him this year. Locker comes next year, Barkley in 2012, and the Skelton kid has intriguing sleeper home run potential in the 4th or 5th this year. A perfect "pick him and raise him" pick.

Mortgaging everything for Bradford is the quintessential sexy Snyder/Cerrato type move. I don't see Shanallen going for it.

So put me down for "I have no idea what they will do, but I'm good as long as its not go get Bradford w/o getting a tackle, too"

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, As I said in an earlier post, it's the third rounder and a party sized Subway Sub-enough to feed 5-7 hungry draftees.

Posted by: bostskin | April 22, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

There is a 125% chance that I had a ham sandwich for lunch.

Unfortunately, I had cottage cheese instead.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:44 PM

Except the Browns play a 3-4. Why would they want the headache the Skins want to get rid of. More importantly, the Skins would traded 3 starters and a possible starter (2011 1st rounder), and a developmental pick (3rd rounder 2011) for 2 possible starters w/o saving any money. Why would they do that?

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Is this something you read? Or are these the ramblings of a luntatic?

Posted by: heyjoe728 | April 22, 2010 12:45
ALL I CAN SAY THAT IS THEY DIRECTION AND WHERE THEY GOING BELIEVE IT OR NOT THATS UP TO YOU

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think it's apathy on Reid/Maese's part, but let's say you're right. Any fool, especially one that follows sports would know that the odds should be parsed as ratios if that was their intention.

For example, Odds that the Redskins draft:

Berry: 3:2
Clausen: 10:1
Bradford: 5:1
DT: 20:1
ETC.

Again, not to beat a dead horse. We have terrible beat writers. I should not care as much as I seem to.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

60%? Good lord. Well, our defense would be pretty terrifying, I'll give 'em that.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of moving back into the fist to get another pick, how high up the board do you have to get to grab S Earl Thomas after safely taking Okung or T Williams. 16?

(AH92 to TEN for #16)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

...with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' it with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Profootballtalk.com reporting that we've traded Larry Michael to the New York Jets for their sixth round pick.

Championship!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

So the Eagles want Berry.....they have the #24, two second, and two thirds.

I'd trade them the number four pick for the #24, the late second, and their two 3rds.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

(AH92 to TEN for #16)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 12:53 PM |

Dallas and Philly rumored to want to move to #12 or #14 to grab Thomas.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So the Eagles want Berry.....they have the #24, two second, and two thirds.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

No thank you, I don't want to play against Eric Berry twice a year for the next 12 years...

Posted by: ejjam2 | April 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

So the Eagles want Berry.....they have the #24, two second, and two thirds.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejjam2 | April 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life. Look at...look at Don Shula. Legendary coach. Look at that Asian guy who holds the world record for eatin' all those hot dogs in a row. Look at Rue McClanahan. From The Golden Girls. Three people, all great champions, all loved.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TWISI

Break

So the Eagles want Berry.....they have the #24, two second, and two thirds.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

That's not enough for the 4 IMO, especially w/in the division. For the #4, I'd ask for the #24, two 2nds, a third, and next years 1 and a 3.

The gap from 4 to 24 is that huge.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Brian Fantana: Sex Panther by Odeon. This stuff is illegal in 9 countries. It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
Ron Burgundy: It's quite pungent. [cringes] It's a formidable scent; it stings the nostrils in a good way.
Brian Fantana: [daubing the cologne on his neck] Yup.
Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. They say 60% of the time, it works every time.
Ron Burgundy: That doesn't make any sense.

Veronica Corningstone: My God, what is that smell?
Brian Fantana: That's the smell of desire, my lady.
Veronica Corningstone: God no, it smells like, like a used diaper filled with Indian food! Oh, excuse me.
Brian Fantana: You know, desire smells like that to some people.
Garth Holliday: What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
News Station Employee: It smells like Bigfoot's dick!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Talking about late-round developmental QBs, what about Mike Kafka of Northwestern? He is a big kid (6'3" 220) who last year compleded 65 percent of his 492 passes for 3,430 yards, 16 touchdowns and 12 picks. Might be a nice project if he falls to the first part of the 7th round.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

see my post above about the whale and the dolphin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Even hit rotoworld. Great way to get someone to trade up...

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

New Front Runner!

"REDSKINS WILL PICK Bradford AND SEND THE 1ST PICK THIS YEAR AND 2011 1ST TO THE RAMS ....SENDING MCNABB, LANDRY AND AlBERT HAYNESWORTH TO THE BROWN FOR THIER 7TH

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:44 PM"

There is one thing really bugging me about this post.. Why all CAPS, except for Bradford?

I really don't want to jump in your head any further than that, but just curious.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Apr 22, 2010

Do I hear the sweet music of a Stradivarius playing in the background? Because somebody is being played.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | April 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

League Sources have informed me, MonkFan81, that the Redskins are in discussions with the Eagles about trading the #4 overall pick to Philadelphia for a handful of magic beans and the Eagles' second-round pick in the 2012 draft.

Posted by: MonkFan81 | April 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

So the Eagles want Berry.....they have the #24, two second, and two thirds.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 12:55 PM

While I hate the idea of trading within the division, unlike philly. Fleecing them of multiple picks would be interesting. Agree that the drop from 4 to 24 is huge enough that philly would have to give up a ton to get there.

Posted by: skinswest | April 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 12:44 PM

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 12:51 PM | ITS THRU WITH ALL HONESTY THE BROWN ASKED FOR MCNABB AND LANDRY FOR THIER 21ST PICK BUT THE RESKINS THEY WANT THE 7TH SO THEY INCLUDE AlBERT IN THE DEAL

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

WG,

I don't think they are apathetic. And I think they do a very respectable job (and I don't think it's an easy one).

I do agree on posting the odds as ratios, good solution.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I have a suspicion that Shanny might think he can find good OL talent at well below the #4 spot. He has found great talent well below that pick in the past.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Serious question to all you regs..

If the skins stay at 4 and take Okung or williams, make no other trades and don't pick again until Saturday. Would you be happy that we got a OT or do you want the sexy pick/trades etc?

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suliman215 | April 22, 2010 1:11 PM

How does the deal help the Skins? Less starters overall, more question marks at QB, more money invested in personnel in that the have to pay for the #1 and #7 draft picks.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The Charlotte Observer passing along draft "buzz" that the Redskins might offer Albert Haynesworth, LaRon Landry, and the No. 4 overall pick to the Rams in exchange for the No. 1 selection.

How rediculous.. Why don't we give the all our draft picks for the next 5 years while we are at it.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"serious question . . ."

* * *

I could live with that scenario. I would love to see some trades for more picks (provided smart decisions were made with those picks once acquired), but that would be gravy.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think most people slam J Reid because they wish they had his job (oh, and if I were beat reporter things would be different). Here's a quiz for the haters out there.

What is your dream job? Please list in order of preference. And why? Although I'm not sure I really want to know.

- Redskins beat reporter for Washington Post
- Brew master at a brewery
- Gynecologist
- Other

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Titans, DT Agree to 3-Year Deal Worth $17 Million"
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 1:11 p.m. ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans and defensive tackle Tony Brown agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $17 million Thursday to keep the restricted free agent with the team.

Does this mean AH is going home or stayin'?

I wonder....

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

- Redskins beat reporter for Washington Post
- Brew master at a brewery
- Gynecologist
- Other

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 22, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1 - Proctologist

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Serious question to all you regs..

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:16 PM

Ideally I would like more players from this draft, but if the Skins had to stay put and take a OT at #4 I'd be ok with it. The Skins would have picked up 6 players using picks from this draft (McNabb, Carriker, plus the 4 to be decided). Not a complete draft but what can you do under the situation you describe.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I take to the bank is sperm.

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The report I read about the Tony Brown signing said it was widely expected and would not preclude TN moving to get AH92.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm slimbo-rice. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

For those doing the math JR spent 60% on Berry and 10% on Clausen leaving him 30% for the OT's. It was RM who spent 5% on DT and 20% on Bradford, so he could still go 75% on OT's. The nice thing about splitting the writing is their math can conflict and still add up.

Posted by: jfred99 | April 22, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Serious question to all you regs..
Posted by: slimbo-Rice | April 22, 2010 1:16 PM
I would be okay with that. I would like to see them maybe get something for Campbell, but think he will have more value as pre-season moves and someone else’s qb get hurt.

I think it will be pretty funny if they take Berry or someone else (not OL) with the 4th pick, and then have until tomorrow night to make more moves to get into the 2nd and or 3rd round to pick up some OL. That would give 24 hours or more for people up here to freak out and start posting everything in CAPS. I’m guessing we would see tons of newbies up here forsaking their fandom. That is of course assuming that they would be making moves to get more picks….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 22, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Re-post:

If they draft Berry, don't be surprised to see the 'Skins move back into the late first to get OT Charlie Brown from USC (scouting report: http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010cbrown.php), followed by the signing of a couple vet tackles (Flozzell Adams, Levi Jones, etc.).

I'm less sure about the vet part, but put me down-- if the pick isn't an OT or a trade down (aka- Berry), we'll be back in the 1st round for Charlie Brown. Book it (and F copyrights, btw).

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 22, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 22, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying this since last November and was mobbed and stoned to death...

Posted by: RedDMV

Always suspected you thought you were reincarnated.

I'm still a staunch advocate of trading down. But unless Suh or Bradford unexpectedly slip, can't see anyone willing to partner up with the Maroon and Black.

Berry greatly strengthens the secondary. An OLT keeps McNabb out of traction.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd be completely happy with Williams or Okung and nada til Saturday.

I'm no longer concerned about the Lions snagging Okung and wrecking our draft at least. Williams seems like a close second, maybe even a better fit.

Posted by: McMetal | April 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The totally made up 60% number is being quoted by Profootballtalk http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/22/momentum-builds-for-berry-in-washington/ .

I love the hours before the draft...

I predict a 23% chance that Dallas forgets to pick and lets time expire on their first round pick.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"Ideally I would like more players from this draft, but if the Skins had to stay put and take a OT at #4 I'd be ok with it."

So let's move on the round 4.

What's the best player for us?

cb, linebacker, rt, c/g....?

Any ideas....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

They've done studies, you know. They say 60% of the time, it works every time.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What scenario would have to play out for us to get another 1st rounder this year without giving up our first and take both Okung and Williams. Maybe I should wake up from my dream world. That would be great though.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

So let's move on the round 4.

What's the best player for us?

cb, linebacker, rt, c/g....?

Any ideas....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 1:35 PM

If Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is there I'd take him. He can play CB or FS. I'd take a look at Hardesty. Brandon Lang who can play DE/OLB in 3-4.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Stay nimble and don't forgot what is staring you right in the face ... Jammal Brown is a redundant TOP NOTCH left tackle in New Orleans ... and LOTS of mocks have the Saints picking a defensive tackle ... AND Fujita (the weak side LB from the Super Bowl) is not currently on the Saints roster ... and Grilliams DID pick Rocky McIntosh ... (and, after Grilliams left Tennessee in 2000, they kept his defense ... and drafted Albert in 2002).

The SIGNS are pointing to a reliable LT available via trade!

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I think there are many "done deal" trades already done, but Goodell wants the drama for tonight.

I would love for the Skins to get a 2nd rounder.

No way the Skins move up to get Bradford...smoke and mirrors my friends.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Always suspected you thought you were reincarnated.

Posted by: TheCork

Like you now Cork, I was a self-righteous white cooch in my former life...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Been lurking here for a while, I think you guys are my favorite reads everyday...so I decided to join. Been a skins fan since I was 4 (passed on by my father), and coming from Eastern Canada, people are usually steelers and pats fans.

Irrelevant, I know, but let's stick to the facts.

I've been reading everything skins for the past month or so and have come to the conclusion that the skins, referring to Kyle Shan.'s comments, think they have a "decent" O-line with the scheme they would work with. So? Does that mean, it's simply the sheme? OR is it really the O-line as a whole? In Denver, Shanny worked magic with his O-line even though it was on average to the league (yes, I know ours is below average, but still...)

So, I'm thinking, if they get rid of Haynesworth, now that they've just signed 3 DTs (which clearly indicates they will trade AH) they might get a starting OT or high draft pick for him (which could mean a solid OT) and if they also trade for Campbell, they might be able to get an extra draft pick.

Remember, now that we're playing a 3-4 D we don't even need Haynesworth's stats anymore, we just need DTs that are disruptive enough to let the LBs and LB/DE hybrids make the plays. And with Eric Berry and LaRon Landry at safety (Laron moving back to his strong spot) we would have a monster of a Defense for creating turnovers, let alone, even getting any yardage, relieving the pressure for McNabb's offense to not have to score 35 pts a game to win (like with the eagles) but more like 20-25 to win games (with the Skins improved D scheme allowing even LESS pts/game) which is something McNabb is most likely capable of doing every week with an average O-line.

Conclusion: Berry would be a good addition, only if kyle shannahan isn't bullsh*tting and that they can work wonders with the current O-line. Then trading AH for a High Draft OT or accomplished OT and trade Campbell for draft pick LB or Tall WR.

Thoughts?

Posted by: RypienGapTooth | April 22, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Moe -- as you know, later rounds are tough because it is impossible to know who will be around at that point. I think areas of need are OT, LB, CB, FS, NT, RB, WR, more or less in that order. Assuming they get their LT in Rd 1, I would love to see them take a RT in Rd 4 if somebody they rate highly is there. If not, look for the best combo of player rating and need scale rating.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No way the Skins move up to get Bradford...smoke and mirrors my friends.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 1:46 PM

It wouldn't be a trade up ... it would be a straight trade ... like Eli Manning/Phil Rivers ... assuming that who the Rams really want is available at #4. Rams pick Bradford (Vegas covers) and then the Skins pick who the Rams want and trade that guy for Bradford (plus a pound of flesh).

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 1:46 PM

Be respectful Red. Cork was the Holly Morris of his day when he was on Channel 7 news. I used to catch his reports after watchiing ABC's Afterschool Special or Girls Girls Girls during Elvis Week.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: RypienGapTooth | April 22, 2010 1:51 PM

Good plan. You get Berry, a quality LT, an extra pick, and no AH. Not much to complain about there.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Picks for the later rounds ... punter, punter, punter, kicker. No, wait, that was last year's draft board. This time: LB, OG, LB, RB.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Blasphemous!

Ed Reed is/was a phenomenal safety during his career, but there's no cogent argument for him being regarded "as good as anyone who ever played the position." Reed may not even be considered the best amongst his contemporaries; Polamalu's game-day impact is every bit that of Reed's. Polamalu has two rings, Reed none.

Of course, there was Lott and Woodson in the 80's and 90's (not to mention these guys played cornerback and safety), and Houston and Tatum in the 60's and 70's, and a few others before those guys (i.e. "Night Train" Lane). Sure, Reed has been as impactful as any DB in the league over the last 6-8 years, very likely a hall of famer, but spare RI readers the "arguable argument" of Reed's all-time greatness. Scoop Jackson would like his lisp, er, argument back.

HTTR

Posted by: tony11 | April 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

red, I don't care who you are or were, thats some funny stuff right there......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

rypiengaptooth

"....referring to Kyle Shan.'s comments, think they have a "decent" O-line with the scheme they would work with. So? Does that mean, it's simply the scheme? OR is it really the O-line as a whole?"

Kyle Shanahan is engaging in what is called 'purposeful obfuscation'?

It means he's clouding the issue about the line for reason we plebiens can't cipher.

And you can't blame him: what coach would condemn his players having just met them?

So you make them out to be more than what they are.

'Cuz what they are is mediocre.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Pick Berry... trade AH for #2 and conditional to recover McNabb trade... Trade new #2 for Ravens tackle Gaithers.

Looking for a way for Skins to get that elusive LT without having to pay top 5 money for him since scouts seem to think both Okung & Williams may be a slight reach at #4.

We really could use a ball hawk like Berry...

Posted by: tony325 | April 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is this. The Skins know that they must upgrade the OL. 100% certainty that the Skins upgrade the OL. They didn't get McNabb for the long term and they don't want to see him getting hit like a piñata this season.

Everything else revolves around what else can be accomplished. If the 2 degrees (BA and MS) can figure out how to get OL help and get Berry, they'll do that. But every plan has OL help first.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Always suspected you thought you were reincarnated.

Posted by: TheCork

Like you now Cork, I was a self-righteous white cooch in my former life...

Posted by: RedDMV

Well I meant it as a joke, but since you went for the tiresome, easy comeback, we can play it this way.

The worst thing about being you now, is you are forced to spend your entire life in your own, miserable company.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

full out idiots writing for the WaPo

Posted by: League-Source | April 22, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

And as for Red's unindicted co-conspirator...er thanks for watching. Oh wait, you, in your adorable masochistic way, want an insult: How about: No surprise you watched Afterschool Specials, because...ah, I got nothing.

Just can't bring myself to insult a guy who remembers I was on TV in DC that long ago.

Posted by: TheCork | April 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So you make them out to be more than what they are.

'Cuz what they are is mediocre.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

What if the Shannys boost that "mediocre" O-line to "average"? Think McNabb and the Three RBs can muster 25 pts per game and justify getting Eric Berry and moving to a 3-4 D without AH, hence trading him for a more solid OT that would make that mediocre O-line now an average O-line?

Posted by: RypienGapTooth | April 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So what I have gathered so far

10% chance we pick Clausen
20% chance we pick Bradford
60% chance we pick Berry

That leaves a 10% chance we pick a Okung or Williams?

Maybe JReid knows more than we think...
-------------------------------------------

Either that or he can't do basic math. I'm going to go with the latter.

Posted by: deee1 | April 22, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

DOES THIS HELPP US MOVE LARON TO SS? He is a flat sucker for the double move at free

Posted by: ElYeah | April 22, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I love all of these insane predictions!!! Here's what's going to happen, we will trade Donovan, AH, and 2 passes to the all-u-can eat buffet at Phillips to Oakland who will send Heyward-Bey, the wrestling costumes of the Road Warriors, and their first rounder to Cleveland, who will Jedi mind trick the Rams GM, causing him to swap first rounders with the Browns who will take Bradford, and give him to us. And that's my plan.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | April 22, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Humm... wasn't it 5%, and then 10, and the 20 and now 70% for a total of 105%. That' leaves, what, a negative -5% chance we pick an OT. Perhaps Vinny is back in the building!

Posted by: Carradon | April 22, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If Suh is there at #4 Take Him
If not Take ROk if available
If neither Take Eric Berry
Good not Great OTs still available later include Tony Washington, Jared Veldheer, Sam Young Roger Stafford and possibly Charles Brown.

Note" Bench press results. Okung 38, Campbell 34, Washington 33, Veldheer 32, Stafford 27,Young 29 but Brown only 21.

Trent Williams only 23 in this critical test.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: changer2 | April 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Please for the love of GOD draft ER-IC BER-RY He is a beast and is a 100% class act. If you liked Sean Taylor, you will love EB

Posted by: abeisavol2 | April 22, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked that noone has suggested that this is a ruse against the Eagles. With their draft picks I could see the Eagles looking at Berry. More likely in a #5-#7 spot. Now they might have to trade with the Redskins if they really want him, and the skins get more picks for Shanahan to work with.

Posted by: FBfan | April 22, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to pass up Berry. Offensive line is going to be needed. I would have felt more confident if something more was done to address the OL with free agency, but so far barely a noise...

With that said, take the best player in the draft. If it is Berry, then so be it.

Posted by: impact32 | April 22, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse