Redskins still showing interest in draft's quarterbacks

Since acquiring Donovan McNabb via trade Sunday night, the Redskins have not scaled back their evaulation process on the draft's available quarterbacks one iota. They've kept every visit and every meeting with quarterbacks prospects scheduled to pass through Redskins Park, and they still intend to travel later this month to South Bend, Ind., for a private workout with Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen and to Norman, Okla., for a private workout with Oklahoma's Sam Bradford.

So what does it mean? Are the Redskins creating a giant smokescreen, tricking the rest of the league into believing they want a quarterback in the draft? I suppose you could think that. But Bradford arrived in town for his visit on Tuesday afternoon and he had dinner that night with coach Mike Shanahan, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, general manager Bruce Allen and owner Daniel Snyder. It seems a bit odd to have your team's owner spend an evening with a guy you have no intention of drafting.

There are still two weeks remaining before the first round of the draft, on April 22, but the smart early guess is this: Acquiring McNabb impacted Jason Campbell's status with the club a lot more than it had any effect on the team's draft plans.

With the first pick, St. Louis can certainly nab Bradford and force the Redskins to go a different route. But until that happens, it doesn't appear that the Redskins have ruled him out -- and the other quarterbacks could still be in play, too.

Mike Shanahan himself wouldn't rule out the possibility Tuesday of drafting a quarterback and was a bit coy when talking with beat writers following McNabb's introductory news conference. But when he later spoke with Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson, he touched on the precise reason why acquiring McNabb doesn't necessarily preclude the team from also drafting a quarterback.

"I think if you take a look at Philip Rivers, when did he start? His third year," Shanahan said. "You take a look at Aaron Rodgers? His [fourth] year.... I think a perfect scenario would be a young quarterback coming in here and backing up. You never know what's gonna happen on draft day."

So under this scenario, the team would have McNabb in place for a few years and allow a young quarterback to learn and grow under the 11-year veteran and six-time Pro Bowler.

Certainly, the Redskins have other needs, but Shanahan knows as well as anyone the importance of having a franchise quarterback on the roster. As a coach, you only have so many opportunities to draft a player of that caliber. You can bet the Redskins aren't planning on picking as high as fourth again any time soon, and this could be their only real opportunity to take aim at a highly-regarded quarterback in the draft.

With only four picks in this year's draft, it'd make sense for the Redskins to entertain offers to move down and pile up another pick or two. It also makes sense to nab at least one offensive lineman -- and maybe two. But it's probably not safe to rule out a quarterback at this point, even though McNabb has only been a Redskin for all of two days.

Certainly, there's plenty of talent to be had in this year's draft, but if the opportunity presents itself to nab a player of Bradford's quality, it might be tough for the Redskins to pass up.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Rick Maese  |  April 7, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb , NFL Draft  | Tags: Daniel Snyder, Donovan McNabb, Jason Campbell, Jimmy Clausen, Mike Shanahan, Redskins Park, Sam Bradford, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins could owe Eagles third-round pick for McNabb
Next: Shanahan says he's happy with three running backs Redskins now have

Comments

FIRST to say this is due diligence on the Redskins' part. No chance they take a QB at #4...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Getting McNabb is all Snyder's doing. Shanahan and Allen are nothing but yes men to Snyder's bidding. Assembling a fantasy football team that was good 5 years ago is the same thing that he did in 2000. This time around, he's getting Shanahan to take the fall for him if it fails. Shanahan doesn't mind, he love's Snyder's money too much. Money is the root of this.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR. You're playing into evil Snyder's hands.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:19 AM | Report abuse

I guess we have done buisness so poorly in the past that even the reporters here don't know how normal teams work.

What should Shanny do now, maybe he should cancel all the QB visits and tell everyone that he is drafting Okung and if he's not there Trent Williams.

Then if Bradford or Suh fall to 4 teams won't be calling the Skins to move up they will call the Chiefs.

This deception game is played all over the NFL, only Vinny had a radio show where he told the media the Skins exact plans.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR. You're playing into evil Snyder's hands.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:19 AM |

That argument is old and tired and stupid, Shanny isn't and never has been anyones yes man. If Snyder was running the show you would have seen a lot of big press conference this offseason Peppers, Dansby and so on.

If Snyder was running things do you think his pal AH would be on the trade block after just getting paid 21mil.

If your going to post once a year use that down time to come up with something orginal.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Vinny, I mean Flounder, what self-respecting GM would take Fat Albert's contract? What self-respecting GM would go after a guy who is fat, out of shape, takes plays off, and is a primadonna? He has the same value as Campbell right now: not much.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Well played, Flound.

The other thing our friend Mr. Hawkins is overlooking is the subtle changes in Redskins pressers that lead us to believe there IS change in D.C. Gone are the trophies up front. Gone the acquisitions of guys who are obviously playing for money. And most importantly--gone is Snyder himself. He wasn't anywhere to be found yesterday and he wasn't up front for the Shanahan presser either. The face of this franchise is now Shanahan and the success or failure of this team will be his doing.

I can see how the McNabb signing smacks of Snyder, but I really don't think that it's him this time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Ok has a redskin fan I understand that things have changed this is not the same team that we have come to know as a fantasy team on steroids we just need to calm down and see what happens donavan fell into our hands and if jason and ah get traded we may end up with several draft picks and you gotta say that looks like the way to go. If we can get berry or okung and then some depth later in the draft then we are 2 years ahead of where we would have been normally.

Posted by: ddawg | April 7, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:28 AM

If T.O. can get multiple gigs, then this guy can drum up some interest. This is the NFL...if a guy can play, he'll get attention. Guaranteed.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:28 AM |

Vinny no longer works for the team D-bag and if I was Vinny I would be enjoing the money I stole fron Snyder the last 10 years, not on a blog talking to idiots such as yourself.

Who would want a guy who is the only reason his two defensive ends got 11 sacks each, and who played in over 70% of his teams defensive plays which is normal for DT. Who made are run defense better then it's been in years.

Like I said come back when you have an orginal thought.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse
I agree, Flounder, this has Shanny written all over it. Tom Boswell wrote an interesting article in today's wapo. He lists about 20 QB's who have been considered top QB's, then get traded after age 32. All but 2 have gone on to have stellar years, and much success. The 2 exceptions are our favorites, Jeff George and Mark Brunell.

DMN is a proven winner. His stats compare with JC, but he has willed his team to win. That's what he brings to the Skins, and that is why Shanny pulled the trigger.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

For all those worried about McNabb's age read Boswells article today, it goes into great detail about teams that let QB's go at this age and what they do at there next stop.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

The 2 exceptions are our favorites, Jeff George and Mark Brunell.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 6:37 AM |

I agree fred and the problem with the two we got was that they had already stopped being good before we got them, thats not the case with McNabb. Plus neither of those guys even came close to the level of sucess at there former stops as McNabb has.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

AH contract is now 3 years 16 mill w/ 9 mill guaranteed (pft website). I think some teams will be interested. I read somewhere last night that the Skins are asking for a 2nd and 4th round pick for AH. I think a trade is a possibility given the contract terms and asking price. With JC possibly bringing in a 4th round pick, the Skins could have a regular allotment of picks by draft time.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

So what does it mean?

By Rick Maese | April 7, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

If you were an Insider you would be telling us, not asking us. WaPo has been clueless this off season, reduced to posting rumors from JaLa, PFT, and ESPN and posting hard news a day late.

Whatever Shanahan and Allen are cooking up, it will be eaten, digested, and eliminated before you guys smell it.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, a 2 and a 4 seem awfully cheap to me. I would think that AH would have at least the value of Suh, who will probably be picked in the first four picks. So wouldn't a 1st rd pick be better compensation. Not only has he proven himself at the pro level, but his remaining salary is probably less than a top 4 DT. Granted, he turns 29 in June, but I would be looking for a high 1st round pick for him. Are a 2 and a 4 as valuable as a high first?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan "I think if you take a look at Philip Rivers, when did he start? His third year," Shanahan said. "You take a look at Aaron Rodgers? His [fourth] year.... I think a perfect scenario would be a young quarterback coming in here and backing up. You never know what's gonna happen on draft day."

If you draft a QB with the #4 pick, that rookie better be ready to play in week 3, because that's about how long McNabb will last behind the OL we've got now.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow Flound...I can't even tell you how jacked I am now that I read that Boswell column. This quote can't get outta my head:

"With McNabb at quarterback, the Redskins can finally get a true reading on every player on their offense. How good, or bad, are all those recently drafted receivers? What is the real quality of your offensive line when you have a quick passer who'll be comfortable in Shanahan's scheme?"

Is it possible that getting a QB the caliber of DMac will expedite the rebuilding process? Can he make the young WRs better and even compensate for the O-line's mediocrity?

If the answer is 'yes', this might be the greatest reversal of fortunes we've ever seen here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Say what you want about AH but if its 3rd or 4th & 1, there's no one I'd rather have trying to stop it. He was a beast in short yardage defense and the attention he draws gives opportunities to those around him they're not gonna get without him in there.

Posted by: will_ga | April 7, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Are a 2 and a 4 as valuable as a high first?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about the value grade. People were saying that McNabb's 2nd rounder this year and #3rd rounder next equates to a 1st round value, so if the Skins were to get a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick in this year's draft, it should be the equivalent of a low 1st, high 2nd round value.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

The good news for me is that I finished the paper I needed to finish for my boss. The better news is that now I'm ready to go to bed at 4:09 PDT.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, a 2 and a 4 seem awfully cheap to me. I would think that AH would have at least the value of Suh, who will probably be picked in the first four picks. So wouldn't a 1st rd pick be better compensation?

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM

Um, come to reality, my friend.

AH is damaged goods on some level. Just the fact that he's on the block when the ink on Shanny's contract isn't even dry yet says so. If we can get a 2nd rounder for him I'd call it a win and move on. With so many question marks surrounding him, we're lucky if we pull that.

As I said earlier, the first team I'd call is Carolina. A lot of their holes can be filled with guys that we need to move for picks (JC, Haynesworth, Landry, Carter) and with their HC and GM on the hot seat, they need those players more than they need picks that they may or may not be there to use anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

If this is the case, then it would be a perfect scenario. Getting rid of two players that don't want to be here anyway. If they can somehow recoup their second round pick for Fat A$$ that would be ideal.

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

I think that AH is moveable now and I would be happy to get a 2nd and a 4th for him.
I'm pretty sure he won't show up to play if he is still here.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM

No way. Haynesworth's value plummeted last year after the performance he put in for the 'Skins. Gross, obese, lazy, underachiever. Uncoachable. He's on the downside of his career, Suh has only upside.

If the Eagles would rather have a 2 this year and a 3 or 4 next year (that's a 4 or 5 this year) than Haynesworth, that gives you an idea of how much this guy's value has plummeted.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

"So why in the hell would Levi Jones turn that down to play with Shanny and company...Ya think McNabb trade may get levi moving?"

Jones, like Clifton, Pashos, and the others in the weak o-line FA market is a vet who'll ride things out until a favorable deal comes.

He'll play next year, the question is where.

He doesn't care about playing for Shanny as much as he wants a comfy two year that'll over pay him.

His attitude is the essence of the free marketeer who goes to where the money flows.

And whereas I can't blame the guy, I do like the 'take it or leave it' attitude expressed by the new redskin FO.

If there is one true thread in Shanallen's fabric, it's a coarse fiber that transmits 'it's my way or the highway' to the touch.

So if Jones doesn't want what's being offered, then he'll hit the highway.

And Flozell Adams might wind up with the deal he wanted.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree, AH is nowhere close to being an impact player in this league. The man flat out got paid and he will never be the same as he was a couple of years ago. I would take Suh any day.

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR. You're playing into evil Snyder's hands.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 6:19 AM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 6:24 AM

Thanks for handling the light work this early. I probably would have been a lot less civil. Anyway. I don't see them taking a QB high but wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Pike in the 4th. I have a feeling that we will have a couple more picks than we do right now as well.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is his own biggest problem. He has no work ethic and is only interested in money. Guess he is pretty good at it...since he got it with minimal effort.

I miss the days before free agency when there was some team loyalty. I can still see Dexter Manley crying and saying that when he died, he wants his ashes spread on the field at RFK. He had issues galore but he gave the Skins everything he had, every play...and did it for what Fat A$$ gets just for waking up in the morning.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

At three years and $16 million, Haynesworth contract is now very tradeable
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 11:03 PM ET
With the Redskins paying defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth a $21 million bonus last week, we're told that the practical length and value of his contract is three years, $16 million, with $9 million guaranteed.

As a league source opined, "Every team in the NFL would have interest in that."

The question is whether and to what extent the Redskins would want reimbursement of the money paid last week. And that question depends on whether the Redskins prefer cash or draft picks -- and whether the teams that want him are willing to give up cash or draft picks.

In our view, coach Mike Shanahan likely would prefer to stockpile picks.

We've confirmed that the Redskins definitely attempted to trade Haynesworth before the $21 million payment came due. Others have reported that the efforts continue, with the Titans and Rams the teams most frequently mentioned. Now that the financial package has been reduced to a ridiculously affordable $16 million over three years, someone will bite if the price is right.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 7:18 AM

I wouldn't go that far. AH had a positive impact on the Skin's defense last year when he played. If he's dealt, then I chalk it up in part as a message being sent to the rest of the team, that is to tow the team concept line. AH isn't willing to make the sacrifices (even partially) to help the team, at least that the way I think Shanny sees it. If AH is dealt, other players (CP, LJ, LL) will know not to get too far out of pocket.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Snyder directly? No.

Snyder as Sword of Damocles? To quote a certain VP candidate, "You Betcha."

Snyder's quick trigger finger when it comes to coaches is the biggest influence of all. ANyone who has tried to keep his boss happy knows that.

I agree continuing to feign interest in QBs is smart misdirection. It could set up a nice, panicky offer of picks and maybe plyers for the 'skins #4 slot.

I'm just not worried he's "feigning" interest. All he has now is a "rented" QB for 2010. Don't be shocked is he takes another one.e

Posted by: TheCork | April 7, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 7:04 AM |

Yes we know the o-line we have now sucks, and you know that we have 5 months and a draft before that happens. I'm positive that Shanny will upgrade the o-line, to the point that an experienced QB will be fine.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

"AH is nowhere close to being an impact player in this league."

I beg to differ, Haynesworth in a 4-3 scheme where he is allowed to freelance is a monstah playa.

Thing is, we don't have any tackle depth behind him to be so carefree about moving him.

I'd prefer a sitdown between J Haslet and Haynesworth where he knows he's playing in base 4-3, "46 bear fronts (Kemo, Al, Golston in gaps)", and that he comes off the ffield when the team shifts into aggressive hybrid looks.

This is a middle ground where a former league defensive MVP can see what his role is and meet it.

Otherwise, unless the team is committed to finding another strong defensive tackle, it might want to hold on to Al for a minute.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 7, 2010 7:27 AM

And we all know that if that's all he has NOW, then it's all he'll ever have. There is no future, we're stuck in the present.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

That made no sense this is what it should have said:

Yes we know the o-line we have now sucks, and you know that the season doesn't start for 5 months. I'm positive that Shanny will upgrade the o-line, to the point that an experienced QB will be fine.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Sweet z's, zces

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE REDSKINS WOULD EVEN THINK ABOUT DRAFTING A QUATERBACK I COULD SEE IT HAPPENING IF SAM BRADFORD DROPS TO US YOU HAVE TO GET THE BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD REGARDLESS OF POSISTION I HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN MCNABB TO BE INJURY PRONE SO DRAFTING A QUATERBACK ISNT OUT OF THE QUESTION I JUST THINK IT WOULD BE A DUMB MOVE ON MANAGEMENTS PART I WANT ERIC BERRY FROM TENNESSEE NO MORE DOUBLE MOVES IT KILLED US LAST YEAR

HTTR!!! RIP#21 4EVER

Posted by: cpt55back | April 7, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

How motivated do you think AH will be to play for 3 years 16 mil, answer not very motivated. He already got his with the 21 mil bonus so wherever he goes he will complain and be a cancer. As I said all along, guys like this don't change.

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

cpt55back,

Posting in all caps creates the perception that you're shouting and in turn increases the likelihood that other posters will ignore your entry completely. Periods are also key.

Just a thought...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

"How motivated do you think AH will be to play for 3 years 16 mil, answer not very motivated."

So you want to kick Albert to the curb?

That's some enthusiasm you should hold in check.

Here's teh skin's defenssive tackle depth chart:

Haynesworth

Golston

Daniels

Montgomery

Kemoteau

(?)

If you remove Al from that list, who replaces him?

Let's curb oour enthusiasm about ridding ourselves of Hanyesworth.

Unless, of course, we decide to draft or find someone to replace him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 7:32 AM

This reply isn't necessarily aimed at you Joe but goes to a bigger picture. I really haven't heard Hayney complain a whole lot. He gets a lot of speculation about him thrown around by the media because he is such a high profile character. He made this D line what it was last year. Without him we would never have had 2 players with 10 sacks. We know he was frustrated with Blatches scheme but so was everyone on this blog. Probably a lot of the players as well, it's just Hayney that gets the attention. Haynesworth has said he'll do what he's asked but stated he doesn't have any interest in being a nose tackle, That's not complaining, that's stating his preference. I think he gets a lot of undeserved flack. Of course, he's not the greatest team player and was a bit out of shape last year and now he chooses to work out by himself (many players do this every year) so some of it is deserved but not as much as he catches.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"AH is nowhere close to being an impact player in this league."

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Moe. AH was a beast last year on short yardage plays. Skins led the league in stopping "3rd or 4th and short" situations. AH made AC and BO have high level of sacks. AH has admitted to not being in the top shape, but he is a fierce competitor. He stuck up for his teammates, he played more downs than anyone except AC.

I think everyone is misinterpreting his motives for hiring his own conditioning coach. Sure, I would like to have him in camp already. But unless we get some real value for him, I want him in the maroon and black.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

"He made this D line what it was last year. Without him we would never have had 2 players with 10 sacks."

This is very true.

And unless the ravens are willing to move Ngota or the stillers Hampton, we really can't do any better than having Prince Al in the middle of our line.

But even if we keep Haynesworth, we still need another solid defensive tackle to replace Griffin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

"......Mike Shanahan himself wouldn't rule out the possibility Tuesday of drafting a quarterback and was a bit coy when talking with beat writers following McNabb's introductory news conference.".......

KINDA leaves you with nowhere to go with your guesses, eh REID?

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 7, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Very well said, scamp. That is what I was blabbering about also.

Posted by: frediefritz | April 7, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

=======================================
Oh please, SNAP OUT OF IT, all this Snyder-is-Satan stuff is getting so old ... I totaly understand that hating Snyder / Ceratto has been one of the few pleasures we 'Skins fans could count on for a long time (and with good reason) , and it's hard to let go for fear that we'll just be disappointed (again) .. But it's so obvious now that Shan-Allen are driving that bus ,that to keep clinging to the cult of Snyder-Hate is kinda sad .. Not to suggest that Snyder be forgiven for the lost decade he brought us , but time to move on already ...

Posted by: RoidRage | April 7, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

scamp, I see your point but I think this move is preventative...I mean, what do you think his trade value is gonna be if he's in full meltdown mode?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Leave LH alone. Do you think Carter had such an increase in sacks cause he had devine intervention; do you think the redskins sack total doubled cause of blache's superior coaching skill change in 1 year. No, it was Albert. And enough with the Fat stuff. It's immature and makes YOU look like an idiot.

Posted by: nomolehill | April 7, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"Shanny is playing it right...dude has a questionable work ethic and doesn't fit in your plans. Get him out while he's got trade value. Makes perfect sense to me."

So if you move Haynesworth, which defensive tackle on the roster has the presence to force teams to double team him?

And if A Carter and B Orakpo's sack totals, drop, will we blame them or the guy who traded the defensive tackle who created havoc in the middle of the offensive line?

I wasn't for Haynesworth becoming a redskin, but as for now, let's chill with the trade chatta, and put what energies we have into fixing the skins' offense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Boy, the amount of AH apologists here just proves that some people will support ANYBODY in burgundy and gold...I mean, is it REALLY that far out in left field that a coach that demands his players work hard gets rid of a guy that has never had a reputation for working hard?

He doesn't fit the team's plans. He doesn't fit the scheme they want to run. He's got trade value at a time when we desperately need draft picks. I don't get where sending him elsewhere is any way a negative...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Don’t you’ll know that all GMs and Coaches listen to all of us here at RI. We’ve told them time and time again that our players are fat, broke down, old, done, untradeable, rich, can’t or won’t play and mental. Sound like anyone you know?
How can we get anything for these players?
Oh no the sky is falling.

AH, JC, Carter, Portis, and Landry all great players and a must have. Instant improvement to your team. Make us an offer we can’t refuse.

All joking aside, they are great players. Timing is the issue here and it’s bad timing for trading players. Getting value now will be tough. Just food for thought.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | April 7, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Can't see the Redskins picking a QB in this draft unless they get some more picks. OT first, and then, as things stand right now, they won't have another pick until the fourth round which probably should be another OT - but who knows? They probably won't be looking for a starter that late in the draft. If the Redskins cannot make anymore trades before draft day, we could be looking at a starting day roster that has Heyer or Hick at right tackle. To me, that doesn't sound like a world beater o-line.

If you think about trading AH, the Lions are a team that shouldn't be on the list, pre-draft. If they get AH then it would be a certainty that they would draft Okung. Trading AH to the Rams for their 2nd wouldn't be a bad trade since their second is at the top of that round. Titans have two third rounders which would be a good trade for AH.

Just because they reportedly were shopping Landry and Haynesworth, doesn't mean they won't deal other players. Remember, guys like Jarmin, Carter and McIntosh don't really fit a 3-4 defense, and they might move them as well if they can get their hands on a player - or a draft pick that will get them a player - that better fits the 3-4. Then, there's Carlos Rogers who has been a bit of a malcontent. Now that they have Buchanan, they could be thinking about moving him as well.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

FlounderVinny:

No need saying D-bag and idiot. That just shows that you have no defense and resort to name calling.

You actually believe that since they have no trophies, and Snyder isn't in the conference room that he's not involved? . You're ignoring the common denominator in this whole situation: SNYDER. These are the exact same moves that you and your friend Joe Gibbs made the past 10 years or so. Because Snyder has replaced you with a few more yes men you're going to say a change is afoot? He has Boswell, whom you discredited a few months ago, fooled, too.

As the old saying goes: A fool and his money are soon departed. Snyder is the fool and Shanahan is laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:05 AM

Moe, there are plenty of teams in the league that run an effective defense without a dominant DT. I mean, the Redskins were one of those teams for most of the last decade so I know I'm not introducing anything new here.

The team picked up Kemoeatu to play NT. If healthy, he's a decent option until we can draft one. And if we do trade back from #4, there's a good chance we make a run at Terrance Cody or some other high rated NT.

If the switch to a 3-4 becomes a reality, you can bet the defense is taking a step back anyway. I'd roll with some younger guys who will work hard and display a good attitude over an overpaid holdover who has made it clear he wants no part of the new scheme.

And it looks like Shanahan feels the same.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:08 AM
------------------------------------------
Agree. Shanahan is going to make a shining example of Haynesworth by sending him packing. I think it is one of those "have-to" moves for this coach if he wants to keep discipline intact.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Still auditioning QB's?

I hope this is a smoke screen.

If they are not expecting at least 4 solid years of McNabb performing at near elite status, then somebody needs to get fired for making this trade. One second round pick and one third round pick is a ridiculous price to pay to rent a QB for a year or two.

A second rounder and a third rounder could represent two 7-10 year starers if well drafted. That's how championship teams are built. If McNabb can deliver 4 high-level years, then ok.

We shouldn't need to spend any time or picks on potential starting QB's for two years. Spend the picks and time building the lines.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"I don't get where sending him (AH)elsewhere is any way a negative..."

Well, I do.

If the team had decided to move up to get S Bradford, the signal is 'long term rebuilding'.

And if that was the case, them you make the Haynesworth trade.

But it brought in a 33 year old vet quarterback, signalling that winning now is important.

So do you cross up your signals by trading a valuable defensive player you can't replace with someone on the roster?

And that's why moving him, for right now, doesn't make sense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

RoidRage, or FlounderVinny or whatever moniker you're using now:

Are you really going to drink the Kool-Aid and believe that change is afoot? Come on man, Snyder only cares about one thing: money. This "change" on the surface is just enough to play the masses as fools. Please, show some self-respect: DON'T BE FOOLED.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Randy_Hawkins,
You wouldn't by chance be the kind of person who believes that the USA never landed on the moon, thinks Kennedy was assassinated by the CIA, and believes Roswell really was about cover up an alien conspiracy, would you? Ease up man. Do you see Snyder's face in your underwear drawer? Seriously, go back to the pharmicist and tell him your Lithium must be past its "use by" date...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 7, 2010 8:14 AM

Nobody hates Snyder as much as I do, but even I think you're delusional, dude...the Saints have an owner people wanted to burn at the stake just 5 years ago and now they're clutching a Lombardi. All it takes is the right hire and Snyder may not be the local villian anymore...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

AH's only argument here is he came to play in a 4-3 because he fits and likes that role better, I understand that. Now we are tweaking our defense some to switch to a 3-4 in some bases and now he wants no part of it. The way I see it, this guy should run threw a brick wall for all the money he is making. Why can't he adapt to a slightly different role within the system.

Posted by: joeboggs | April 7, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

I don't get this.

So, they have a guy in Haynesworth who isn't at workouts, has questions about his work ethic and durability, is an enigma in a 3-4 scheme, and publicly questioned the defensive scheme last year -- which deserved some questioning, but if he did it once maybe he'll do it again.

But you want to exercise patience with Haynesworth. Even though his contract is now at 19 mil over a 3 year peroid, making him of great trade value.

I thought you wanted picks, well here it is staring you smack in the face, and you're passing?

I've been saying since this trade went down that they WILL re-coup picks -- that Shanahan wasn't done with the draft.

Now the skeptics over the McNabb trade are skeptical when it comes to trading Haynesworth.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Randy;

I am gonna tell you what I was saying to pfunk yesterday.

If snyder was calling the shots, only wanting big names and selling tickets, the following would not be true

A) Passed up on the bigger FA from this year, like Peppers and Dansby
B) Letting shanny shop AH, his biggest FA pick up EVER
C) Handing out smart contracts which are 1 season incentive laden so when a cap comes back, we dont have a bunch of bad contracts
D)Cutting the previous FA's brought in like Randy Thomas or ARE

The only argument possible from what has happened is that we prefer older vets to young players, hence the lack of draft picks.

But only one this year and one next year has been parted with under the new regime, and we are trying to get more from JC, AH, etc...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm certainly not an apologist and if Shanny deems it best to send big Al on his way then I'm on board. I'm just saying that I think he catches a lot of flack for made up crap. Dude is a beast in or out of shape. Would be nice if we are running a hybrid to have him here and in shape. But if Shamny says go then it's time to go.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

And that's why moving him, for right now, doesn't make sense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:17 AM

That's where we disagree...I don't see Haynesworth as a "valuable defensive player". I think he's an overrated underachiever who played two lights-out seasons when he was motivated by a big contract.

And even if I'm loud wrong about that, the fact of the matter is he's a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. Best case scenario, he's a 3-4 DE and even then that scheme usually asks the D-lineman to toil anonymously while the LBs make all the plays.

Haynesworth's ego won't allow that.

And just because you can't pick out a guy who will step up to replace him in April doesn't mean that there won't be one in August. Between the draft, another round of free agency and the guys on the roster already, there could be the next Antonio Pierce ready to outperform another high-priced Redskins bust.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully no one will be interested in AH, and we can just bring him back into the fold, work with him and enjoy the benfits of having the best Dlineman in the NFL playing for our team.

After all,since we are now going to make a Superbowl run in the next year or 2, we are going to need talented guys that can make plays.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

one stat badied about is AH played the 2nd most snaps on the skins, but that might not be saying much.

Lets get someone to compare his snaps to other DT's... at least put out an average ( i am assuming our D played more snaps then a lot of other D's, so the numbers could get skewed if viewed straight up vs %)

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Can any of the AH haters please show me:

1) Any quote or piece of evidence showing that AH refuses to play nose tackle

And

2) Any quote or piece of evidence showing that AH is a bad teammate and lockerroom cancer

And

3) A valid reason to peg him a bum and a lazy no-good half-a$$er on the field in light of the fact that he played the 2nd most snaps of any Skins Dlineman last season

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

brown, enough with the rational speak, please!

What is this draft and another round of free agency you speak of? Get a clue, brown, everyone knows the season starts this Sunday, April 11.

I'm just waiting for Diesel44 to let me know what time is kickoff.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I hope you aren't suggesting that I think Snyder is calling the shots, because I never said anything remotely resembling that...

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The focus needs to be on the TEAM, just like DM said yesterday. Someone is ALWAYS causing a commotion by not coming in and training by themselves. They all love me some me.

As far as Snyder goes, I'm not a fan and never was but I think his heart is in the right place. He is a rich fan. God help them if some of the people on here became wealthy and bought the team. I truly think Snyder is determined to win and that his approach in the past hasn't worked.
Maybe this time, it will.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Something else to consider about the whole AH debate is why teams migrate to the 3-4. One of the reasons I have heard is that it is easier and cheaper to find players. Maybe they figure with what they would get out of Haynesworth next season, they could probably get five other contributors and spread their risk considerably. I mean, maybe it is really just mathematics and economics. When your game plan calls for your defensive linemen to be three immovable objects, then maybe you just don't want to pay the money for a guy who is (allegedly) capable of doing much more.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 7, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

p1funk, you read this blog regularly so you know AH voiced concerns over the 3-4. There's talk that he is already on Shanahan's bad side and quite frankly, the most damning evidence of all against him is his sack totals: 28 for his career, 14.5 of which came in the two years he was playing under the franchise tag for his big payday.

At the end of the day, none of that matters. What matters is we're going to a new scheme that doesn't involve him. No other stat or argument counts.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why other DT snaps would be relevant.

The point is that if we are going to crucify AH for being a lazy out-of-shape bum - and he played the 2nd most snaps of any lineman while having a HUGE impact - then we REALLY need to be crucifying most of the other Dlinemen on our team for being even less useful/more out of shape.

But we are not.

Same deal with the whole nose-tackle issue. AH has never played NT in his life, he doesn't think the position would suit him terribly well. But he's stated clearly that he'll play wherever the team tells him and won't be a distraction about it.

How is that any different from Andre Carter who doesn't love the move to OLB, but will do what the team asks him?

Is Andre Carter a cancerous malcontent for feeling like he's at his best as a hands-down DE?

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

brown - Ngata is a 3-4 DE and makes plays, and in nickle and dime we will be 4 down lineman.

so get rid of him or dont, i am cool either way.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

red

"You're one of the guys who's questioning the McNabb trade because we sent the Eagles the 37th pick to acquire him."

I questioned the move as I, like others, was under the impression the team was dedicated to rebuilding over 3-4 years.

But if the idea is to try to win now with a vet q-back, that changes the flow of thinking, obviously.

Again: subtract Haynesworth from the defensive tackle rotation.

Who replaces him?

What you want to upgrade your offense while taking away from your defense?

Now that makes no sense.

And until there's a sign that he can be replaced with and in kind player--Hampton/Ngota/Ratliff--why move him if you want to win now?

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

This is all Mike Shanahan's show, with an Allen assist. Having said that, Snyder was in the room during McNabb's presser, I believe I read that right here in RI. Snyder is interested, he's around, and he'll jump back into things if Shanny doesn't win in two years.

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 7, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

p1, Haynesworth has a reputation AROUND the league as half-assing it. Go to google search and type in "Albert Haynesworth work ethic" I'm sure you'll find TONS of references that'll question Haynesworth's work ethic.

As for him playing in a 3-4. When he was in Blache's defense he complained about maintaining the gaps. He felt that he was better suited going after the QB (which he is).

Question: What is the primary responsibility of a NT in a 3-4?

Your answer will answer your own question about Haynesworth as a NT in a 3-4.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Mark me down in the column for the Skins and AH working out their differences. AH is the type of attacking defense that the Skins plan to run will be a beast. AH, Big Samoa, and Daniels would be difficult to run against. If they do different things to put AH in one and one situations (slants, stunts, etc)it should be pretty fun to watch.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I think Fatsworth burned all bridges when he entered Shannahan's office and explained to him why he wouldn't be participating in the off season workouts. Shannahan is the disciplinarian this team has needed for years. He is going to treat Haynesworth and Portis the same way he would treat Chris Horton. That is how you build a TEAM. Can you imagine Horton entering the coach's office and telling him he won't be participating in the off season conditioning program??

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | April 7, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

pfunk;

Randy talking about snyder calling shots, my points for that were the same for the win now discussion - did not mean to imply you think snyder is calling the shots.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

LOL Red...it's funny how accustomed to the Redskins season being played in March some here have become. We have a REAL FO now, let's sit back and enjoy the ride.

Part of that ride entails a slow start and not having the depth chart set until preseason. A welcome change, if you ask me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Andre Carter also voiced some concerns over the 3-4...are we killing him?

AH has never played in a 3-4. Why are up in arms when a player who has NEVER played a certain position before expresses some reservation about being able to effectively play that position?

He's obviously on Shanny's bad side, but why? How rational is it to trade this guy away simply b/c he didn't show up for voluntary workouts? Were you in favor of trading away London Flethcer last year when he skipped some workouts? Or LL30 or ST21 when they not only didn't show up, but didn't even return coaches phone calls in the offseason?

And the sack argument is pretty weak, considering we all know that AH draws the double and triple teams that frees up other guys to get sacks - have you seen Kyle VandenBosch's sacks since AH left? Remember how effective Andre Carter was before AH arrived?

When you have a player as talented and effective as you find a place to put him in your defense.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:41 AM

True...but this defense is reportedly going to read like a Pittsburgh D. And if that's the case, their scheme tends to sound a lot like the one I described earlier.

Plus Baltimore moves Ngata all over the place because he is a natural playmaker and a physical freak.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why other DT snaps would be relevant.

pfunk
________________________________________

If we rotate d lineman a lot, the stat of him playing the 2nd most means nothing.

I am not saying he is not a beast when in there. But a lot of people rely soley on that stat as to prove that he is being prodcutive or not out of shape....

so my point was if we rotate a lot, that stat means squat. he is by far our best DT, no doubt. I dont think anyone needs that stat to back that up.

but if we really want to know if he is playing the snaps that other DT's are playing for his contract etc... you would have to bring in other teams DT snap counts.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 7:05 AM

I like your enthusiasm but I’d have to go with 1981 to 1982. Now that was a pretty good reversal of fortunes culminating in Riggins signature play when, on 4th and inches, with the Redskins down 17–13, the coaches called "70 Chip". You know the rest of the story.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Question: What is the primary responsibility of a NT in a 3-4?

Your answer will answer your own question about Haynesworth as a NT in a 3-4.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Considering his on-field impact, I guess I'd rather have a half-ar$sed AH lining up instead of a fully healthy Philip Daniels who does all the right things, yet seems to have a minimal impact in the games.

Red, I thought you were the type of guy willing to accomodate some bad-a$$es on the team - even if they ahve asome attitude issues - because they are big-time playmakers.

You've run to LL30's defense. CP26's defense. Considering how much more effective AH has been on the field for this team, I'm a little surprised you want to see him leave the team.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...sounds like a model to follow with AH.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Why do people assume that just because they signed McNabb, it means that they aren't interested in the future? What would make you happy?? Draft Bradford?? They will groom a QB to be ready in 3 to 4 years. Believe that.
I for one will enjoy winning more and having the players get used to it instead of sitting on the edge of my seat every Sunday only to be disappointed when we couldn't pull a winnable game out....AGAIN.
Bradford wouldn't be successful right away anyway. I don't care WHAT kind of line he has.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

while it may be like pitt, I would see them oving AH around.

really I think it comes down to the money and the fact that shanny wants his players to be about the team.

I dont know if AH is not about the team, but it would seem shanny made his mind up.

so get any #1 pick or low #2 and 3 and i will be cool.

If we keep him i hope they move him around to get the most out of him.

and all this trade talk, if it does not happen, I expect Ah to play where he is told and will do well. He is supremely talented, when motivated.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I would do a little more research into Shanahan's track record picking players and making trades before I cranked back the footrest on my la-z-boy and got real comfortable...just sayin'

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 7, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...sounds like a model to follow with AH.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:53 AM

It sure does. Put the team's playmakers in position to make plays. Shanny's offense does, let's hope Hasslet's defense is just as accommodating.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"Something else to consider about the whole AH debate is why teams migrate to the 3-4. One of the reasons I have heard is that it is easier and cheaper to find players."

It sure is.

You have to wonder where Haynesworth fits in in a league moving towards the 3-4.

Minn.?

Tenn.?

NY ?

Saints?

Jack'ville?

Panthers?

There are places for him to be sent to if he is to be moved.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

FlounderVinny:

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 7, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

and i would bet if pitt had a guy like Ngata or AH, they would move him around AND use the LB's to get to the QB.

That would be the best of both worlds. I dont see them as mutually exclusive.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Andre Carter also voiced some concerns over the 3-4...are we killing him?

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM

First of all, it's different when Carter says something about it because HE'S ACTUALLY PLAYED IN A 3-4. And not very well, I might add. So his apprehension is understandable.

Haynesworth at best is creating the perception that he's not even willing to try to fit in the 3-4. And if the coaches who will implement this scheme don't want him, why is this even an issue?

This isn't the first time a coach will send a big-name holdover packing. Remember Marty canning Larry Centers? Remember LaVar getting run out of town by Greggg? I don't hear you ranting over the Skins doing the exact same thing to JC (a career Redskin, btw) and you're here defending a guy who made a name for himself as a Titan and only came here to get Snyder's money?

I just don't get it, dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching NFL Network? Darren Sharper just said he'd like to go to the Redskins...

Make a move!

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is saying that. The simple reality is that with very limited resources some of us question the move to surrender draft picks for an older QB. In light of the need to redo ALOT of the roster it indicates that "win-now" seems to be a bigger priority than "rebuild". Some of us who have been watching the team operate like this for years are a bit skeptical at the effectiveness of that philosophy. Things may change significantly between now and the start of the season, but we are commenting based on what we see right now.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

FlounderVinny:

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 7, 2010 8:58 AM |

Thanks considering I would rather be called every name in the book over Vinny.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

People seem to forget that Haynesworth absolutely trashed his coach in public during the season. That's pretty close to unforgivable in the NFL.

So if I'm the new coach I want to see Haynesworth pro-actively try to put it behind him. But instead I see he's the only guy not coming in for voluntary workouts.

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 7, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

True, p1, I'd rather have guys who beast outon the field with "manageable" bad attitudes than a bunch of choir boys.

But since real football guys are calling the shots now my thinking is if you don't believe, then leave. That goes for everyone.

The minute I hear of Landry or Portis wanting out, I'll volunteer to show them the door myself. I want dudes who are committed to the program given that we the fans AND players have guys that are competent running the show.

"I WANT WINNERS!"

See: Singletary, Mike

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...sounds like a model to follow with AH.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 8:53 AM

Not a fair comparison...Ngata is younger and motivated by more than the franchise tag...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Right on, Moe.

Hi, I'm p1funk, and I approve this message.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I still have that SJKing pit in my stomach.

At some point I'm prolly gonna have to go all Zen & let it be. Believe it or not, that was easier to do w/ the last coaching staff.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for Diesel44 to let me know what time is kickoff.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:36 AM

Buy a calendar and circle the first week in September. I'm just waiting for you to put down the egg mcmuffin and place your sausage like fingers on the keyboard and either type something humorous or knowledgeable.

Candidates for 92 from what I have read are Lions, Rams, Titans, Bucs & Jags. Even at 50-70% effort he is still the most dominate player on our D.

With his trade friendly contract and his track record of dominance in a 4-3, I wouldn't accept anything less than a 1st or a 2nd & 3rd.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

It's all about the value you could get with Haynesworth.

With a first round pick, I would swap him out. That could net the Redskins 2 bookend OTs and the makings of an elite offense (yes I said it).

For a high 2nd and a 4th, I would consider it. It would be a swap of McNabb for Haynesworth. One an elite player at an important position, the other a high-impact player at the most important position on the field. Essentially a wash.

For anything less, it would be downright stupid.

All-pro DT under 30 years-old at a 3 year, $16 million contract?
Or a pair of mid-round draft picks that would net complete unknowns?

Not a chance you would take the latter.

Posted by: psps23 | April 7, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5

Who's reclining in their "grown man chair"?

I've said all along that I'll take a wait and see stance with Shanahan, Allen, and yes Snyder too.

A "wait and see" approach means that you're not sitting at all but in fact are still standing because you do know when and if you should sit down yet.

That's just my opinion though.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Nice -- ESPN has confirmed the Haynesworth trade rumors are all BS:

Like I said yesterday -- the original source was none other than Janso and has been relentlessly parroted by Sports writers that do not do their own research...

Posted by: siris | April 7, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get it, dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I can also understand the apprehension of a player to move to a position that he's NEVER played before in his life. I don't think that's terribly farfetched.

I would expect Malcolm Kelly to feel uncomfortable if the coaches sat him down and said - "We'd like to move you to tight end."

Second, I think the other people are creating the perception that AH is not willing to fit into the 3-4. I mean seriously, the guy said flat-out that he will play wherever the coaches ask him to play and he's not trying to be a distraction about it.

And I thought it was LUDICROUS the way Gregggggg W. benched Lavar. I was one of the people at the stadium screaming "Free LaVar".

I don't care if they send JC packing b/c I don't think he's very good...are you seriously going to compare JC's impact on a team to AH's impact on a defense?? There is NO QUESTION from anyone anywhere as to whether AH makes a HUGE difference to a defense when he's on the field. YOu are now comparing a guy who is widely hailed as the best at his position in the NFL to a QB that either (a) has a career as a backup from here on out or (b) is mediocre enough to start on Buffalo, Oakland or some other dreg of the NFL.

Apples and oranges...

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for Diesel44 to let me know what time is kickoff.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 8:36 AM

Posted by: Diesel44

All that jam and yet still no toast.

You still haven't told me what time is the kickoff, dude. Where they at? Home? Away?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 7, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Much as I despise AH you can't move him until you have a SOLID plan to replace him.

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else having more problems with the WaPo site after these "updates"

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Hasslet's D is going to be far more aggressive than last years "wait and pray" scheme that drove so many of us up the wall. Wasn't that one of Albert's biggest criticisms? Given the chance, I'm pretty sure we could return Albert to his role of "Destroyer" and turn him lose to great effect.

He is an absolute force of nature that forces other teams to game plan for him. Deal with the guy. Losing him would create a giant hole that we would only have to turn around and fill with the draft pick(s) we may get for him, and there is no guarantee they will perform to his level. And he makes everyone around him better. How many other players on the team can claim to do that - besides maybe McNabb?

We just added McNabb to make or offense better, why subtract Albert now and weaken the D? Let's use a little more skill than just "My Way or the Highway" when dealing with an elite game-changing player. They don't grow on trees.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Tebow sitting behind McNabb for 3 yrs and then taking the reigns. Thoughts?

We would still be able to trade down w/ Denver and get Brandon Marshall, maybe we get a mid first for AH. We can get a tackle as well.

Posted by: Copious1 | April 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM
========
Agreed...
Those with season tickets do not want to sit in FedEx, again, watching a three and out Div 1 college Offense wasting another year of a better than average NFL Defense.

I welcome the veteran moves by Shan and Allen.
You can stockpile Draft picks out the gazoo.. But, as past is prologue and according to PFW, a little less than 50 percent of all NFL picks are still on their rosters after 5 years.
Why crapshoot when you can acquire a proven vet with the same pick?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Copious1 | April 7, 2010 9:24 AM |

WHY?

That pick should be used on O line this year, or MLB, or FS, or RB, or...

We do not need to develop a high round QB draft pick for 4 years. 1-2 years should suffice just fine.

Let's build a well rounded roster with depth at the key positions (O & D line, RB, WR, LB and secondary) We have two Superbowl QB's on the roster right now, and spare few draft picks.

Build.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth to Detroit for their #2, we take okkung there and Clausen/Bradford at #4... watch it happen LOL Can you see the faces at FedEx... I can lOL

Posted by: Veretax | April 7, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | April 7, 2010 9:41 AM

LOL!

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Edvar

Beeps...

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

@ edvar

3-4 yrs. from now what are we going to do about QB?

If you can trade down with our 4th to 8th and select an O lineman, then trade AH for Tennessee's 16th and take Tebow. Get a 4th for JC and maybe a 2nd for CC, you've got your o-line there. So w/ two 4th's go lb and safety.

We still have a 5th and 7th. Shanahan can do wonders with a 5th round RB. You still have the guys that get signed after the draft is done. We also have a LB on the squad who London Fletcher regarded as a young him (Darrel Young).

Maybe you swap with Denver instead and get Marshall.

Posted by: Copious1 | April 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm with John Riggins, Randy Hawkins, et al on this. Dano is still the imp behind the curtain pulling the fantasy football trigger. This signing is a stupid as the Deon Sanders one!

McNabb is ancient! His kness belong in a medical museum! If this guy makes it thru ONE season, it will surprise me. What won't surprise me is that they give him a huge extension taking him into his 40's!!!!!!!!

This team has no courage. While other franchises select young QBs with conviction and have them competing immediately, see Atlanta, Balt., Jets, etc. this franchise is chicken-sh*t to try.

Bruce Allen should be ashamed of himself taking the money and (obviously) keeping his mouth shut to allow this to happen.

Though I agree Campbell certainly was never the answer, McNabb certainly isn't either.

Posted by: duru44 | April 7, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If Bradford were in the Elway-to-Marino draft a few years back, he would be the 7th QB drafted.

Posted by: InTheMiddle | April 7, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Take my words.... The redskins will draft jimmy clausen in this draft. 'SURPRISE" .... I really believe shanahan likes him.

Posted by: beede81 | April 8, 2010 4:42 AM | Report abuse