Redskins take Trent Williams with No. 4 pick in NFL draft

Updated, 8:30 p.m.

NEW YORK - After a day that featured plenty of chatter and rumors involving the Redskins, Coach Mike Shanahan instead went the safe route in the opening round of his first draft since joining Washington, selecting Oklahoma left tackle Trent Williams with his first-round pick.

Williams, who's listed as 6-foot-5, 315 pounds, instantly becomes an anchor for an offensive line that was among the league's worst last year. With Chris Samuels' retirement last month, the left tackle spot was the team's biggest need, which is why many around the league expected the Redskins to focus on the offensive line in the draft.

"Coach Shanahan called me he just wanted to know if I was committed to being great," Williams told ESPN during the draft telecast. "And I assured him that I was 100-percent, he said they want me."

"It's an honor more than anything," Williams said of protecting the Redskins' new quarterback Donovan McNabb. "He's a great quarterback; I've been looking up to him for a long time now. It's a dream come true."

In Williams, they've nabbed a big yet athletic lineman who many analysts think will be a good fit in Washington's blocking scheme. Williams is quick and versatile. At the NFL Scouting Combine, he posted sprint times that topped most other linemen. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.82 seconds. His arm measured 34 ¼ inches, and he benched 225
pounds 21 times.

"They're getting a great offensive tackle," said his former quarterback, Sam Bradford. "I think he might be one of the most athletic big guys I've ever seen. It's extremely impressive to watch him play. I always knew if Trent was on my right or if he was on left that I was protected on that side. So I think he'll be a fantastic football player."

The Redskins are expected to beef up their running game and they'll be leaning heavily on a zone-blocking scheme. In an interview Wednesday, Williams said of Washington: "I feel like I'll fit in great."

"I'm going to do whatever they want me to do. If they want to go do a screen or run a 100-yard goal route, I'm going to do it," he said. "I think the zone-blocking scheme will be great for me."

Williams began his college career as a right tackle but moved to the left side for the Sooners last season. "I like left because I've been playing it all my life," he said recently. "It's a little easier for me. Like I said, I'm instinctive. It's something I know I can do."

Not only is Williams the third Oklahoma lineman to go in the first round in the past 10 years, his former offensive coordinator says he could be the best of the group.

Davin Joseph and Jammal Brown have both gone on to Pro Bowl appearances, but Oklahoma's Kevin Wilson thinks Williams could be better than either.

"They were pretty good," Wilson said. "Trent, to me, is more talented. He has a lot of upside."

He says Williams is "just scratching the surface" of his potential.

"I don't think he's close to playing up to his talent level yet," Wilson said.

Wilson didn't anticipate Williams struggling to adapt to the Redskins' blocking scheme. In fact, Wilson said he and fellow Sooners' coaches visited Shanahan's team in Denver a couple of years ago to learn more about their zone-blocking scheme. When the coaches returned to Norman, Okla., they adopted some of the same principles Shanahan had used for years.

"We're a no-huddle team, up-tempo, a lot of area-oriented blocking," Wilson said. "It's not 100 percent the way Coach Shanahan has done it, but we have a fair amount of zone in our play action game and bootleg."

Thursday night's pick was delivered to Commissioner Roger Goodell by Samuels, who represented the team at Radio City Music Hall. Samuels was the last offensive lineman Washington selected in the first round.

Since 2000, the Redskins have selected just four offensive linemen in the top four rounds of the draft.

Samuels appeared in six Pro Bowls before retiring because of injury last month. He finished last season on the injured-reserve list and without him, the Redskins' offensive line struggled. Only two quarterbacks were sacked more than Washington's Jason Campbell (43). In 2008, only three quarterbacks were sacked more than Campbell (38).

Selecting Williams means the Redskins are also protecting another major investment: Donovan McNabb. Washington gave up two high draft picks to acquire McNabb and are paying him more than $11.7 million in base salary and bonuses this season.

With Williams, the Redskins certainly have a versatile lineman. The left tackle actually played center during the Sooners' 31-27 victory over Stanford in the Sun Bowl, the final game of Williams' college career.

"I think he's probably one of the most athletic big men I've ever seen," Bradford, the draft's No. 1 overall pick, said Wednesday. "Just his footwork, his quickness, his strength. He's the total package. He was able to pretty much do everything for us at Oklahoma. He played center for us his last college [game]. I mean, how many guys can go from left tackle to never playing center to play center -- and to look really good doing it? He's just an impressive athlete. I think he's got all the potential in the world."

Williams said he felt at home during his visit with the team. He's already friends with Redskins receiver Malcolm Kelly and safety Lendy Holmes, former college teammates, as well as Robert Henson, a high school friend.

"I got friends on the Washington team, so I enjoyed it a little bit more [than some other visits]," he said. "Just being able to kind of reunite with my old teammates and get a chance to meet Coach Shanahan and Mr. [Bruce] Allen, the GM -- I had a great time."

By Rick Maese  |  April 22, 2010; 8:00 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins reportedly reach out to Saints regarding Jammal Brown
Next: Will Trent Williams have an immediate impact with Redskins?

Comments

Good pick.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 22, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

OFFENSIVE TACKLE BAY-BY!!!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 22, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Thank god they took a LT!

by the time I post this I won't be first

HTTR

Posted by: beggarsnthieves | April 22, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

well... that's one way to go...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD!

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

1st
WOW

Posted by: ljhartnett24 | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

So far so good!

Posted by: ssh1549 | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Either or, but definitely OT, OI!!!

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Thank god no Eric Barry trade etc.

Posted by: zornskins2 | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Phew!

Posted by: webtechnical | April 22, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

well... that's one way to go...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, something tells me he will be our RT this year.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

60%

Posted by: MrChili | April 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

In the long run "Silverback" will be a better LT then RO. He is faster, more athletic and has a mean streak. Great pick.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Williams it is... good thing. deals for AH later tonight?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

That's what I AM TALKIN "BOUT!!! Welcome to the 'Skins, Trent!

Posted by: Corvis777 | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

love the obvious, boring pick.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

What's an offensive tackle?

Posted by: mack1 | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

ok, RT instead of LT...just lettin' it sink in.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Glad they took a LT, just feels like they took the wrong one.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

silver back?

Posted by: SoothSayer26 | April 22, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Fourth overall pick for a nice tackle?

Well, it's not sexy but we've had a lot of sexy over the years.

And it really hurt.

My guess is they wanted to trade down but got no takers. Picks are like 17th century Dutch tulips.

Sorta'.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ooookayyeee...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Who knows? Right? Here's hoping for the best. HTTR!

Posted by: MColeman51 | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope he is playing RT

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

It's an OL.

Thank you, FO.

See you on Saturday.

Posted by: p1funk | April 22, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

It is so nice having people in charge who are actually smart and willing to do the logical thing that everyone in the league knows we should have done 3 years ago.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

ok, RT instead of LT...just lettin' it sink in...

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, we got a weak, unmotivated OT. This looks like it has "bust" written all over it.

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Step 1. Draft LT. Check

Step 2. Pray to Tim Tebow, that Rolando McClain does not fall to the Vagiants!

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

What..? Is this real? For once we made smart decision...!!!

Posted by: skin84 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Will we get news of JC tonight??

I'm just so happy something stupid didn't happen...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Skins hid this pick really well. They played Okung all along. Shanahan in a Gibbs-like move!! We are coming back ba-bee!!!

Posted by: jmeaicp | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

he's chewing the cud like a true cow... love it!

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

BUST!!!

sike, naw, just kiddin'....

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

ALRIGHT!!!!!! NOW I'm beginning to feel better about 2010. This team might do good things this season.

Posted by: ericenderle | April 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Man, you don't chew gum during a Draft interview. Just sayin'.

Posted by: countystyle | April 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Awww, man. I was hopin' for a big plash.

Or at least a Ray Guy Award winner.

Posted by: freakzilla | April 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Finally... a pick that makes sense.

And the call came from the coach, not Dan Synder. Does this mean his grubby little paws are off everything but the checkbook? I hope so!

Welcome aboard, Trent. Now make sure you protect Donovan!

Posted by: LadyMac | April 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Interesting..looks like Okung will be sliding a bit.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Good pick but we may have missed out on Ed Reed 2.0

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Berry and Deion gonna be on TV together?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, something tells me he will be our RT this year.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Great point. I agree. I think they will go after Adams who will be the LT for two years. Their plan is to rebuild the OL over time without getting the QB killed in the process.

Finally some sanity.

Posted by: pjente | April 22, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Let's go DC; need more wise picks!

Posted by: Realness1 | April 22, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

YES! BRUCE ALLEN THANK YOU, wherever TWilliams plays he will help us big time! i'm thinking either LT or RT, he could go to RT if we go after Jamaal Brown

Posted by: destewar | April 22, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins actually made an intelligent choice. The o-line was historically bad last year. Unless they make a trade, they're not gonna be picking again for a lo-o-o-o-ng time.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 22, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Alright - kudos to the new regime for going unsexy for once! Yes! Actually, they went for more upside so it seems over RO, so they leaned towards a sexier pick perhaps, but at least the got the right position for once. Cerrato would have drafted Dez Bryant...LMAO.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 22, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Great pick if they can pry Brown from the Saints for Rocky. Or sign Adams for a couple of years. Either way, this Williams kid is a RT until 2011 at least.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | April 22, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Heeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa OL baby. OH YEA!!!!

Posted by: PASkinsFan82 | April 22, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Why the Fu_k is the FSU song playing???

Aw, MAN DID DEION SET THAT UP!!?!?!?!?!

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I kinda wanted Okung more, but still happy to get OT taken care of. If we can land Jamaal Brown and move Williams to the RT spot, our weakness from a year ago will suddenly look a lot like a strength!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 22, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

WHAT?!?!?!!????? should have grabbed Okung -- money here sez Okung is better and lasts longer.....

Posted by: dah1963 | April 22, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

BTW, still believe in the Shanaplan!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm just so happy something stupid didn't happen...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM

That was my first thought too. Didn't think it would but still, Dan still signs the checks. Feeling good about the future.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Explains all the chatter about skins taking Berry...

Obviously Skins new that Chiefs loved Berry and were trying to get them to swap picks...

Nice try on our part at least, I love how it scared all the fans into thinking we actually wanted Berry!!!!!

Posted by: SkinsForever22044 | April 22, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Guess we are done until Saturday :(

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 22, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I wish we had a 2nd rounder...

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we trade JC and maybe throw Cooley in that mix and somehow get a pick to get Okung. Yeah I know highly unlikely!

Posted by: TCM80 | April 22, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME! They managed to do the sensible thing and make an intelligent choice! Times they are a changin' in DC!

GO SKINS!

Posted by: msveasey | April 22, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The first pick after Vinny Cerrato is fired is the position we should have been drafting for a decade...

(And, of course, Vinny publicly drafted the wrong one.)

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Can't teach class.

Posted by: saltine182 | April 22, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

How many first round picks did the have?

QUOTE...
"Selecting Okung means the Redskins are also protecting another major investment: recently acquired quarterback Donovan McNabb. Washington gave up two high draft picks to acquire McNabb and are paying him more than $11.7 million in base salary and bonuses this season."

Who did they pick?

This was written before the pick wasn't it? (snicker, snicker).

Posted by: nolib1 | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I just think if they KNEW they were going to get Williams (let's be real, no one was going to take him in the 1st 3 picks, so they knew they were going to get him unless they moved down), why the flirtation with Jammal Brown??? TW will be our RT this year. Brown or someone else via trade will be our LT. Plus, I don't think Shanny will let a rookie protect McNabb's blindside.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

We may yet be active tomorrow. Lets just see if they can swing something.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I trust Shanahan knows offensive linemen. I couldn't be more happy we drafted an offensive linemen :)

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

So who's playing LT?

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

"Selecting Okung means the Redskins are also protecting another major investment: recently acquired quarterback Donovan McNabb."

ruh-roh

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

"Selecting Okung means the Redskins are also protecting another major investment"

That graf was prewritten huh?

Posted by: Thor1976 | April 22, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way on god's green earth that we can get CJ Spiller....I'd give up next year's 1st to get him

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

i dont even know why I'm watching the draft....Schefter just twittered the next 72 picks, next year's complete first round, and the Super Bowl Champions for next season.

Posted by: kman2 | April 22, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kathymac1 | April 22, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Did RI have this post already typed up and ready to go and forgot to proof read?

Posted by: saltine182 | April 22, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

sweentess, ill take that, dude has quick feet, thast works for me, that's the 1st thing they said about orlando pace

we selected a Hog
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: retroskins14 | April 22, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Did they really have a choice? Cerrato actually might not have screwed this one up. You get McNabb and if you plan on keeping him upright and successful you have to go OLine. So now we have Hicks, Rabach, Williams, Heyer, and Dockery...getting there. I think we just graduated to the middle of the pack from possibly dead last or close to it.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 22, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

still no big surprises, Okung to Seattle... once everyone is out of the 'safe' picks and into tonight, will be the time for trades.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

i'm coo with the pick.. but my money is that the Seahawks just got their next Walter Jones.

Don't really know about this guy Williams... not hating the pick, but just saying. I would've went Okung, Berry, trade down (i guess they couldn't), THEN Williams.

it is what it is...make it happen.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! Williams over Okung for sure, more athletic than Okung (according to the "scouts") which fits our zone blocking scheme. Personally, I would have preferred Tebow at #4. Wow, that was hard to type with a straight face.

Actually, would have preferred trading down but guess we didn't get anyone to bite on that Berry bluff.

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | April 22, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

could be sadly true....
Skins finally begin to rebuild an OLine on the same day JC is traded.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Can't teach class.

Posted by: saltine182 | April 22, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he suffers from halitosis? Does kind of come off as country, but who gives a damn, as long as he can block. Would you prefer they drafted Mr. Belvedere?

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Switch it up... i think Flozell, if he comes in, will play RT and TW will play LT.

Jamaal Brown on the other hand, could shift TW to RT

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

perfect scenerio. now they get jamal brown and our line is set trent is a better lineman then okung. quit reading the early clippings.... haters.... trent is more versatile

Posted by: kdowney3 | April 22, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | April 22, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"They don't take the tackle with the work ethic, they take the lazy one, god they never get it right."

Nah, I think they took the player that is not only more versatile, but fits Shannahan's zone blocking scheme better. His lines have always been smaller and more athletic not to mention very good. With Williams, he gets the athleticism without sacrificing size. Probably got it exactly right, but the draft always has an element of chance.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 22, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Very good pick. The guy is a bulldozer !

Hopefully the Skins can make some trades, for additional picks.

Perhaps tomorrow night, they can find a gem with that 4Th rounder.

Posted by: dashriprock | April 22, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

If we can somehow get Jamal Brown, our o-line
could be sick!

Posted by: noseman4681 | April 22, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

DOH! Okung bench pressed 38 reps. Williams 23 reps. Plus, some experts said he would be a RT at the next level. Hope we don't plan on passing this year.

Posted by: gatorz | April 22, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

For some reason Ihave a bad feeling about this. They took potential over a proven body of work. Talk about the workout, but Okung put up the plates almost twice as many times as Williams and Okung aint slow.

Posted by: yampaco | April 22, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Browns.. Clausen?? maybe?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

hey, i'm willing to understand but i don't get it yet.

Trent Williams will probably make a spectacular RT in the NFL. but Flozell sucks, and i don't think any trade package that does not include Haynesworth pries Jamaal Brown from the Saints.

so who's LT? i hate to lose 92 for Brown, he would dominate at 3-4 DE.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

could be sadly true....
Skins finally begin to rebuild an OLine on the same day JC is traded.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

i hope he is not only for picks, but for YOUR sake!

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 8:20 PM

country is cool... and social mores are different than basic moral conduct. who cares? if he can play and isn't a complete misfit, I'm stoked about this pick.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Only 23 reps on the bench means that he is either naturally weak, or lazy. Not who I want at LT.

Posted by: gatorz | April 22, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Watch the Raiders take Spiller.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the pick of Trent Williams but I thought we was going to trade down and still pick Williams

Posted by: PardenMiSwage | April 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Di-Dong ,the Snyderatto witch is dead !!

Posted by: RoidRage | April 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Fans are so used to complaining about the skins fo and the picks they make that they can't stop even when the Skins hire a new FO that drafts OL w/the first pick. UFB!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

Washington Redskins Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
What he brings: This a risky pick. There are concerns about Williams' work ethic and commitment to improving his game. However, the reward could be well worth the risk. He's the most naturally gifted tackle in this draft. He has a quick first step and lateral mobility to prevent NFL pass-rushers from turning the corner, and also has the power and nasty disposition to quickly develop into an effective drive-blocker.
How he fits: It was no secret the Redskins and new coach Mike Shanahan needed to add a prototypical left tackle for them to succeed quickly. The addition of QB Donovan McNabb inspires hope in the offense and Williams can bring some stability to the offensive tackle position. Players were in and out of both tackle spots all season and its best offensive tackle, Chris Samuels, retired in the offseason. This pick was absolutely necessary and Williams will start from Day 1.

Personally, I like the fit...not worried about work ethic...he will work. Shanahan won't let that stuff slide.

Good pic skins!!

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:

Washington Redskins Trent Williams OT Oklahoma

Good pic skins!!

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The raiders - skins trade ...make it happen. IF not, CJ Spiller will be the pick. BOOK IT.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Trent Williams and Donovan McNabb in dc

Posted by: gpoi | April 22, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Great Pick! Now we just need to trade some players for picks in tomorrow night's draft.

Posted by: PEIL | April 22, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

People complaining about this dude chewing gum on stage.
Hilarious.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Ro McClain from Bama? Oh Al, no.....

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

The Raiders make a great pick.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I wanna know what's gonna happen with Campbell!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Now the Giants can't get McClain

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

We will not face McClain twice a year

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by: Vicc | April 22, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

In the article, Rick accidentally called
Trent Williams "okung" at one part, haha

Posted by: ddrcoaster | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

nice camo mammaries in Rolando McClain's camp...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Glad RM did not fall to the ginas.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Sweet vagiants dont get McClain

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 22, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Solid pick, good start.

Posted by: DCFanatic | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE the Raiders Pick - it kills my hometown Giants !!

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD we are not the Raiders... WTH??

Posted by: ak201 | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow on taking William over Okung. I'll first guess here and say that he is a RT in the NFL and you don't take a RT in the 1st RD and especially not the top 5.

McNabb now Williams...FML!

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

thank god. For once a sane move.

Posted by: drpolarbear | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

long time reader, first time blogger. so with the raiders picking rolando mcclain, does that mean the raiders are gonna relsease kirk morrison? he
d be a great addition to the 3-4 defense. and im so glad the giants didn't get him

Posted by: shortman4 | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

F U Gints. Clasuen is SLIDING!!!!!

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

seems like they're going best available...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it only took three short months for me to forget how dumb Steve Young is.

"Steve, what do you think about Trent Williams?"
Steve-"Matt Damon!"

Sorry, TWIS, there goes Spiller.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Jags. I'm going w/ Derrick Morgan. Safest DE player.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I can breathe again!

Posted by: Skinalicious | April 22, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

great pick
all people harping bust or we should take okung no nothing and think just because a few so called experts have okung better he is. Well if you watched both play you would no that trent was the best olineman in the draft.

Posted by: skinsfanforlife1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Spiller...Should of been a Skin!!!

But we get a weak, unmotivated OT.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

People complaining about this dude chewing gum on stage.
Hilarious.

Posted by: RomoLongballs

Yeah jeez, not like he was munching on coca leaves.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise was right! I was wrong! Finally, the front office has done the right thing! Yea! I see it and I actually believe it!

Despite what some were saying, selecting a LT was the sexiest pick of all. O-line, O-line, O-line! That's what the Skins have needed the most. Sanity has finally taken root in Ashburn. Hallelujah!

With a time-of-possession offense and an attacking style of defense, the defense won't be out on the field for as many sustained drives. Changing the time-of-possession balance should improve the tackling because everyone on defense will have fresher legs. With the offense pounding the ball, the defense should remain well-rested.

Fresh legs should translate into better play by our special teams. Selecting an LT, however, doesn't completely solve our O-line woes. We still need a stud RT and could use another Guard.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Bills get EJ Spiller, does this mean they are going to go after JC ??

Posted by: OG_Barno | April 22, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

But we get a weak, unmotivated OT.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Guess who's replacing JC in SnaGM's life?

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417
____________________________________
Guy could end up being good. But what do you look for in an OT? Someone who is strong, has long arms, and is quick. Okung is much stronger, has longer arms, and is only 0.1 sec slower than Williams in the 40 (honestly, when will that make a difference for an OT). Also, Williams has a been called lazy.

Could he be good? Sure; but the combination of that evaluation gives me pause...

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

to all of you who think Trent Williams is a RT....

HE WILL BE A FIXTURE AT LT. dude can play anywhere. he was a LT at Okla and will be a LT on the Skins....

Its splitting hairs between okung and williams.

Either way...the skins addressed an area of need. Williams will be the LT of the next 10 yrs

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Was that so hard?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanforlife1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM

first of all the risks and rewards relating to Williams and Okung are well-known.

it's not Williams' fault he's probably a RT and that position is a reach at the 4 spot.

legitimate concern does not equal hating, you fnckhead.

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Ok, cleaning some stuff up:
1. Rickyroge: You'd give up next year's #1 for CJ Spiller? Are you crazy? Are you Vinny in disguise??? With the way Shanny finds RBs, there's no reason to spend a 1st rounder on a RB.

2. Guys, as a former journalist, we pre-load articles all the time and, doing so, leads to typos (i.e. Okung vice Trent Williams). It happens when you have an article pre-types and you just need to insert a name.

3. SkinsfaninKaneohe: The Redskins have already said they don't want Flozell. He's a drive blocker and not a zone blocker. Plus, he has led the league in penalties (holding, false starts) over the past 5 years. That kills your momentum, something we can do without.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Mike Mayock is great. Alualu is such a reach. The Jags will be looking for a new coach next year.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanforlife1 | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Im sorry Diesel is right. You dont draft a guy who just started playing LT to be a top 5 pick. I hope im wrong, but if he ends up playing RT this is a questionable pick. Williams is suspect, if they wanted a talented guy with work ethic questions they could have drafted Davis,

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a draft where the 'Skins get elite talent that fills gaping need. Great pick all around.

And I get the feeling that no trades are happening - there was a lot of talk started as part of draft smokescreens to generate interest in trading up for the 'Skins #4, but that is all over with now and the 'Skins won't pick again until Saturday.

Posted by: hithere1 | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Jags. I'm going w/ Derrick Morgan. Safest DE player.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:33 PM

I said watchout for Alualu two months ago...However I had him going to us in the 2nd...

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

williams will play left tackle; this is very similar to shanahan's pick of ryan clady as far as skill set goes. clady is now a pro bowler. hopefully this pick is more clady than george foster.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | April 22, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, niners trade up. Clausen?

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Poor spiller....buffalo

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM

And perhaps a new city...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

CDub C...

Damn right I would!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Survey:

Which of the following players won't be a Redskin 72 hrs from now? You can answer more than once and add other players to the list.

Albert Haynesworth
Jason Campbell
Carlos Rogers
Fred Davis
Chris Cooley
Andre Carter
Rocky Mc

so far:

manlius1: Albert

Beantown: Albert Haynesworth, Jason Campbell Carlos Rogers

League-Source: Haynesworth, Campbell, Carter

will_ga: None of the above.

JohnD: Albert and Rocky

romoLongballs: Campbell and Rocky

siris: Campbell

RedDMV: Carter, Rocky, Campbell, Rogers

4 votes Albert
5 votes Campbell
3 votes Rocky
2 votes Carter
2 votes Rogers

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

And perhaps a new city...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM

LA beckons

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 22, 2010 8:39 PM

He's a late first at best. Second time under the Del Rio the Jags have reached in the 1st round.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Poor spiller....buffalo...0ne thing I like about raiders pick is that it might make Kirk Morrison available who might be attractive next to London for cheap...

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Chewing gum the whole night, especially while meeting the commish... not a good sign. Can't teach class.

Posted by: saltine182
----
Really, Saltine??? Chewing gum indicates a lack of class? Do you even know what class is? Do you even know what gum is? What a silly-+ss thing to say. What is this a sign of? I think him chewing gum is simply a sign that he sometimes chews gum, genius. I think the easiest way to spot a loser is to see who's talking about "class."

Posted by: Urnesto | April 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

CJ Spiller = Darren Sproles

We have three RBs better than him...

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan has been doing this a long time, and if he prefers Williams over Okung, I'm inclined to trust his judgment. From what I've read, it sounds like Williams is more of the prototypical Shanahan O-lineman than Okung is. At least they didn't take Clausen...

Posted by: acoberst1 | April 22, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Complaining about chewing gum. I am embarrassed we have such losers as Skins fans. Who cares about the bench? He put up 23 times not 3. Blocking has more to do with lower body strength, leverage and technique as it does with how many reps a guy can do on the bench.

Posted by: Rahtard | April 22, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM

count me in for AH and JC... and don't forget the percentages.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Why are people hung up on him chewing gum. It is one of the biggest days of his life and he is probably nervous.

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182
----

Posted by: Urnesto | April 22, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

to all of you who think Trent Williams is a RT....

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan

============================

He'll play wherever Shanahan tells him to play. If we trade for an established LT, his a$$ will be on the right side. And, Shanny most likely aint gonna have a rookie blocking McNabb's blindside.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSS! The adults are running the show and we are actually drafting on needs, not on hype!

Posted by: laserwizard | April 22, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorz
===========================================
Indeed. Nothing says lazy or naturally weak like bench pressing 225 lbs 23 straight times. I don't know if this is a good pick or not, nobody yet does. But I do know I'm glad you're not in charge of making decisions.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | April 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Matthews, great back..but WTF7

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

They say Williams has more raw athletic stuff and knows the Shanahan/Denver blocking scheme...Beavis say,"Heheheheh", raise satanick rocka symbol over head...

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Great pick. From what I have read Trent Williams has bigger upside than Okung as far as talent. With Donovan and an upgraded line the Skins can have an offense that not is a complete disgrace like the last few years.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | April 22, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

With the 13th pick the Iggles take...a wicked case of crabs to the crotchal region.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I would have been happy with Okung or Williams. Good pick for a definite position of need. Glad they saw fit to go in that direction, Donovan won't be mad.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | April 22, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Zeke, I will say that AC, JC and Rocky will be traded by end of draft.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

CDub C...

Damn right I would!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 8:42 PM

======================

Ah, thankfully we have PROFESSIONALS running the team :)

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsFan74 | April 22, 2010 8:52 PM

Upside is great, give me the guy who can play today, not the guy who may be able to play two or three years from now.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

People still b!tching when we do the right thing. UFB!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 22, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about how Okung is so much better than Williams and would've been the better pick, I'm really surprised that Shanahan didn't pay more attention to the "experts" on RI instead of spending the past few months of research on these guys and years developing his system/blocking scheme. Shame on you Shanahan! What were you thinking?!?

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Could of had Spiller!!

But we get a weak, unmotivated OT.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Guess who's replacing JC in SnaGM's life?

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 8:38 PM
=======
hope so.. But, I miss JC, already.

Trent is a bigger crap shoot than Okung..
Poor work ethic combined with a huge payday can equal a Albert Haynesworth..

When you have a pick in the 1st round you should get a offensive run scoring value position, like Spiller.. or WR, QB.. If they are a bust.. you can always get something in return... ala JC or Brady Quinn.. etc.

Bills were excited, too, about their Offensive lineman who was also # 4 overall pick in the 2002 Draft. He was a bust and they couldnt get squat for him..
Player named Mike Williams..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

If Clausen falls to the mid 20s, what's the chances the Skins will try to trade back into the first to get him.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

And, Shanny most likely aint gonna have a rookie blocking McNabb's blindside.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:49 PM
-----------------------------------------

shanahan almost never starts rookies. that being said, he proclaimed ryan clady starting left tackle from day one in denver. williams will start at left tackle.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | April 22, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Didn't want Brandon Graham in the division. Ugh.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Iggles. However, that leaves Earl Thomas to the Cowpokes.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Ricky: Shanny finds guys driving trucks who can run for a 1,000 yards and you want to use NEXT YEAR's #1 for Spiller? Plus, we have Portis, Larry Johnson, and Willie Parker. Granted, they aren't getting any younger, but certainly those three can get us through 2010 and we can refresh the position with younger talent next year. Remember, there's going to be another draft next year and, if my sources are correct, there will be running backs who will be available -- including a Heisman Trophy winner from Alabama.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Didn't want Brandon Graham in the division. Ugh.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Judging by the highlights, that dude is mad quick off the edge. Have the same feeling. Ugh.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zatoichi77 | April 22, 2010 8:56 PM

=============================

Ryan Clady was blocking for Cutler, not John Elway. If Elway was still winning SBs when Clady was drafted, it would have been different. TW could be out LT if he's blocking for Bradford, Clausen or Campbell, but not McNabb. It ain't happening. As customary on RI ...

BOOK IT!!!!!

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Hope that Earl Thomas does not fall to the girls.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Adam_Schefter: Brandon Graham is the best pass rusher in this draft, My prediction: Graham will win Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Well great.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

thank you seattle...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Mel Kiper must be feeling really stupid right now with his Clausen projection.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | April 22, 2010 8:55 PM
=============
dude..this was a Chris Foerster pick.. Not a Shanahan pick.. Foerster was very tight with Trent's "mentor".

Shanahan is a "chain of command" guy.. The Skins needed a LT and the guy who is responsible for the OLine was given the empowerment to select HIS guy.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Two huge improvements tonight:

1) A legitmate left tackle
2) Vinny the Idiot is nowhere in sight (although I'm sure he's ripping Trent Williams on the radio)

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Tarantino as Mel Kiper in the straight to DVD movie. Tony Soprano as Chris Berman.

Gotta give the edge in coverage to ESPN.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:59 pm
---------------------------------------------
gotta agree with this. shanahan does not draft rb's in the first round. the highest pick he ever used on a rb was a #2, and that was clinton portis.

btw, free agent ryan torain was a shanahan pick. shanahan loves that guy, and now that he's had a year to get healthy, let's hope he stays that way.

shanahan is also really high on alridge. he was one of his two high priority undrafted free agent signings a couple of years ago.

i don't think shanahan will draft a back this year, though he will sign one or two undrafted free agents.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | April 22, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 8:49 PM

Trent Williams = Starting Left Tackle from 2010 to 2020.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Skins aren't trading for an "established LT" because they just drafted for the future.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

"People still b!tching when we do the right thing."

Ignore them.

We got the better of two tackles, and, if the clear-headed, logical approach continues, the 4th rounder will also be some decent offensive line prospect.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

And you know this how? That sounds stupid as hell.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm glad we got Trent Williams. He's gonna need to block Paul twice or three times a year. Ugg.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I love how everyone on here seems to already know what this guys work ethic is just from some combine stats and a espn report.

Posted by: DG28 | April 22, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I heard Trent Williams is so lazy, he sits down to pee.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

The good news is, Bradford wont have Trent Williams protecting his blind side at St Louis.

From CSN..

In the season opener against Brigham Young, Trent Williams was unable to block linebacker Coleby Clawson, who was blitzing Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. As Williams watched hopelessly, Clawson planted Bradford into the turf with the quarterback’s throwing shoulder hitting the ground hard.

The result was a separated shoulder that essentially ended Bradford’s season and his Oklahoma career.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Jason, I believe it's called a "go" route. Dumbass.

Posted by: CPortisRun | April 22, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

And falls asleep there, misses first practice.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"Gotta give the edge in coverage to ESPN."

True or False:

Waiting for the end of the draft to read up what happens is better than listening to 'football personalities'?

True.

Especially if you have a life.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

"I've always admired Dana Stubblefield," said newest Washington Redskin Trent Williams, who the team selected with the 4th overall pick in Thursday's first round of the NFL draft. "That guy had work ethic. He worked to the bone."

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

BOOK IT!!!!!

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:04 PM
---------------------------------------

so the left tackle will be who? if you say jamaal brown or flozell adams, you're wrong.

i like the mcnabb trade, but the redskins don't have a qb who is "still winning super bowls". and in shanahan's eyes, cutler was the next coming of elway. their last year together, cutler went to the pro bowl with clady blocking for him as a rookie.

i'm just sayin'... trent williams starts at left tackle.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | April 22, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Clausen may be around in the 2nd.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Once he gets a taste of the Rams' revolving-door blocking, I doubt if Bradford will share that opinion.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Tried it Moe. Found it exhausting and overrated.

Taylor Mays.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 9:13 PM

I would love to know how you know we got the better of two tackles. Just because the FO is going to put some spin on the pick doesnt mean it was the right one. They picked a guy who doesnt have a lot of experience on the left side. He may end up being better, but I dont see whats wrong with wanting a guy who has experience vs. a developmental guy. Im happy they went tackle but this guy better be a stud because there were two guys drafted after him who may be better.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

From CSN..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:19 PM

First game after years playing RT. He improved over the college season. Anyways not going to defend TW anymore, will wait to see how he progresses over the coming season.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

And you know this how? That sounds stupid as hell.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 9:14 PM
========
It was on ESPN radio.. and I am not sure what is "stupid as hell" about it?

Its actually very refreshing given that Buges never got to shop for his "groceries". Finally here is the OLine coach getting to pick HIS guy, right pick or not.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Williams protected Bradford (albeit only for a few games last year) and Bradford went #1. Obviously, the dude must be doing something right.

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | April 22, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I really hope we can get Jammal Brown from the Saints...2 new OTs and the G from Minnesota definately upgrades the OL....we BETTER NOT even think about Flozell the (Condemned) Hotel!!

Posted by: rmapp1 | April 22, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

The round-by-round tracker on the NFL site has the picks up before the streaming video ... and I THINK before Goodell walks out and makes the announcement.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Trent Williams is SO LAZY, he stuck his nose out the window so the wind would blow it.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

"People still b!tching when we do the right thing."

Ignore them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 9:13 PM

neither one of you explains exactly how TW was the better pick.

all i've heard is (in an annoying screechy voice) "Quit your b!tching! Quit your b!tching!"

if either one of you had an intelligent response, maybe i would quit.

at least i'm trying to back up my question on this. most project TW as a RT. most project RO as a LT starter from day one.

so what's it about, fellas?

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Link, please? Shanahan is a total control guy who will even have significant imput on the defensive side of the ball, unlike other head coaches. No way he allows a position coach to make the no. 4 overall pick.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Titans take a DE. So, no trade for AH?

Posted by: SonofNero | April 22, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

That should be "unlike other OFFENSIVE-MINDED head coaches."

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

"People still b!tching when we do the right thing."

Ignore them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2010 9:13 PM

Amen. Guys are so used to Cerrato making the wrong move they don't know how to cat when it goes right.

Posted by: anacostia85 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, interesting what SF did, getting 2 good OL in round 1.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

This is the time of the eagles.

One Pick in the first two days. AH has still not been traded. We need a RT and young fast LBs.

So far-
Mac is unhappy
AH well you know
Andre Carter - can't play in the 3-4
(they all played well last year)

JC will be gone for little or nothing.

How are we getting better then our opponents?

I like our pick but we need to rebuild.

Posted by: mul123 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt, with the type of personality Shanny has, that he's gonna let an assistant coach (one that even isn't that highly regarded) pick who should protect McNabb. I'm sure Foerster had some input, but do you really believe Shanny, as controlling as he is with personnel and discipline, is going to let his assistant make that decision. Please

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Stillers take Maurkice Pouncey. Love that guy's name. Anyone know how to say it? Like, more-kiss? or mor-kees? Mar-kiss?

Posted by: SonofNero | April 22, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Saw Witherspoon play in person a couple times last year, dude is straight monster. That was a good pick up.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

How come every player that gets picked is shown acting like a total moron doing those dances while his stats and highlights are being displayed?

Posted by: randysbailin | April 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

SF major upgrade to o-line.

Now who QBs the team?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 22, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

It was on ESPN radio.. and I am not sure what is "stupid as hell" about it?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

So, of course, that means it can't possibly be wrong. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm sure Forrester gave his imput, but my 2 cents says this was Shanny's pick all the way.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't have laziness on both sides of the ball now. AH on defense and now TW on offense. TW only benched 23 reps, which is very low (compare to 38 from Okung). Either TW is weak, doesn't work out hard enough, or is lazy. Can anyone explain why taking a weaker guy with possible work ethic issues is better than Okung.

Posted by: gatorz | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

ok...i want ACTUAL FACTS....how Trent Williams is lazy...

Bring it on..let me see it documented and DONT quote a so called expert....i want NFL GM's, SCOUTS, ETC..

Provide me with that info and I'll STFU

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

wither-weather. whatevs, we just shouted "spoooooooooon!"

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

I like our pick but we need to rebuild.

Posted by: mul123 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM

you have to start somewhere... and this is an ok place to start.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

if you werent a fan of the Skins.. its actually pretty funny..
The Redskins pass on Okung and use their overall # 4 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on the LT that had the blind side of Sam Bradford, who only completed one full game last year..
===============

From CSN..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, interesting what SF did, getting 2 good OL in round 1.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

We have a 32-33 year old QB?

Posted by: mul123 | April 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | April 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting a trade for more picks. We will see how it works out, I think Okung will be better but that's why I am a fan and not a GM. Its getting late and no trade yet, Campbell and the face stomper, I mean Haynesworth can't be happy.

Posted by: soriphius | April 22, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Survey:

Albert Haynesworth
Jason Campbell
Carlos Rogers
Fred Davis
Chris Cooley
Andre Carter
Rocky Mc

so far:

manlius1: Albert

Beantown: Albert Haynesworth, Jason Campbell Carlos Rogers

League-Source: Haynesworth, Campbell, Carter

will_ga: None of the above.

JohnD: Albert and Rocky

romoLongballs: Campbell and Rocky

siris: Campbell

RedDMV: Carter, Rocky, Campbell, Rogers

Curzon417: Campbell, Carter and Rocky

moodlymoodlymoo: Albert and Campbell -- and I got your percentages right here

50% votes Albert
70% votes Campbell
40% votes Rocky
30% votes Carter
20% votes Rogers

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Redskins trade Campbell to Pittsburgh for a pack of cigarettes and an order of French Fries.

Posted by: isthatallthereis | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorz | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM

UFB!!!

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

rbpalmer, don't bother. He's just going to post the same thing over and over again without providing any new or useful info. It's a lost cause. What a tool.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does Roger Goodell suck eggs as the MC of the draft? I wasn't even sure who the Redskins drafted until they showed his name on the screen...

Posted by: randysbailin | April 22, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorz | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Oher had a low bench press last yr too, I think only 24, and he weighs more. Guess that means he's a weak punk too, huh? I felt more comfortable if they would of taken Okung, but there's a reason they took TW, obviously he fits what they do better, and in zone blocking, straight brute power isn't as imperative.

Posted by: ga8085 | April 22, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

so what's it about, fellas?

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

You were seeing projections that I wasn't. He did start off at RT in college, but switchedto the left side and that was where every projection that I saw had him playing in the pros. Right tackles don't get drafted this high, and all the mocks had him going in the top ten. Plus, everyone is saying that he is the most athletic of this year's O-tackles, and your better athletes always play the left side, because they don't have the TE on their side to help with blocking the speed-rushers.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 22, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

ok...i want ACTUAL FACTS....how Trent Williams is lazy...

Provide me with that info and I'll STFU

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | April 22, 2010 9:35 PM
======
just google
"concerns about his work ethic" and "trent williams"
(be sure to use the quotes and the connector "and")

Its everywhere.
And if you're too lazy to type it in.. here ya go..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

SF major upgrade to o-line.

Now who QBs the team?

Posted by: noonefromtampa

They've got two former #1 overall picks to select from at QB. In other words, not much.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Russellmania09
Mike Shanahan: " We'll pencil him in as the left tackle." Trent Williams #Redskins #NFL
1 minute ago via web

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's just b!tching because .... well, that's what you do on RI. Everyone was crying up a storm when we traded for McNabb, but now it's close to universally lauded. So the Williams pick will be praised in a few days. Ultimately, we're all happy with the Tackle pick and we all pretty much believe in Shan-alle-han. Both Okung and Williams will be good. But, Okung is a drive blocker, Williams is better for zone blocking. Okung was weaker in his punch, shuttle, getting to his area of zone, knowing where his zone is, his lateral movement, etc. I'm not knocking him, I'm just pointing out why Shanny went with Williams. Williams, on the other hand, doesn't have the same overall strength, but you don't need that in zone blocking because you only need to hold your blocks for a fraction of a second in the zone, you don't drive them all the way down the field with brute strength. As for work ethic, let's see if he sleeps through his alarm on the 1st day of training camp before we vilify him.

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM

when did the clock start ticking on 72 hours? 7:30 EST?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

From CSN..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:36 PM

This is straight out of WaPo type of reporting. Not once when they were talking AH trade rumors did they use any quotes that AH made re his talks with Haslett.

Be fair here, how did he do after that 1st start at left tackle? How did he finish the year?

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isthatallthereis | April 22, 2010 9:39 PM

====================================================
Actually a Primanti Brothers sandwich, you know the one with the fries and slaw already on it

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 22, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that they felt like Williams offered a higher potential ceiling, experience at multiple positions along the line, more speed and skills that were well suited towards zone blocking scheme.

That along with stuff were not privy to like interviews and deep scouting tipped the scale. Considering shanny's history with olines and the euphoria of actually drafting a big ugly at top of draft I am willing to say "great pick"

Time will tell who ends up better and it's totally concievable they both end up living up to draft position.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

First wide receiver at #22, Demaryius Thomas ... Dez Bryant, if only you remembered your cleats ...

Watch Packers pick Booolaaagaaa

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Seems like the Miami Hurricanes are the Washington Generals in about half of these highlights. Painful.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 22, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2010 9:46 PM

indeed... that's what makes sports fun.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 22, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 9:45 PM

He ended up at center, "due to injury"

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | April 22, 2010 9:34 PM
=======
Maybe its a direct correlation of their team's graduation rate.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 22, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Please let the Ravens or Pats pick Dez Bryant...

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Packers picked Bulaga ... now watch the Patriots pick a running back ... or a corner

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Dallas just traded up, dammit

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 22, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

booooo .... hissssss ... Dallas traded up to pick next!

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

f dallas

Posted by: mohawk44 | April 22, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh no..... Cowboys trade up.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahhahhaahahaha ... Dez Bryant! Wake up buddy!

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, you like?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

poll beeps

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

beeps if ya didn't know

Posted by: terrapin3 | April 22, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

uh beep beep

Posted by: noonefromtampa | April 22, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys offense is stacked.

Posted by: will_ga | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Tebow is a Bronco!!!

Posted by: C-DubDC | April 22, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Today I wish we were the 49ers.

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 22, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Terrible pick by the Skins. We picked a lazy dude that will never live up to his potential. Who cares how he did in a workout- we needed someone that would make an impact for the next 8-10 years. We go 6-10 at best this year unless we make some trades. BOO.

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 22, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 22, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice how they leave out Best's getting owned by Barnes 2 yrs ago..I hope the Skin's play Barnes when they play the Lions so we can see a repeat.

Posted by: soriphius | April 22, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BT23 | April 22, 2010 8:05 PM

That's exactly what I'm sayin'. He's got BUST written all over him. I'm afraid we took the wrong tackle.

Why not go with the safer Okung; great ethic, vicious and can step in as a starter right away. Footwork and mobility can be coached. But work ethic and self-motivation cannot.

Posted by: SmashMouth | April 22, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused by how the 1st can go by without the Skin's being able to move Haynesworth or Campbell... I can see Campbell not being worth a 1st, a 2nd or 3rd maybe? But facestomper? Does Shanahan LIKE discontent on his team?

Posted by: soriphius | April 22, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse