Posted at 1:52 PM ET, 01/26/2011

Redskins talk with Jake Locker (join the crowd)

By Rick Maese

The Redskins have met and interviewed Washington quarterback Jake Locker during this week's Senior Bowl preparations, though it might not be worth reading too much into the routine meeting. The Redskins have held several interviews here in Mobile, Ala., and Locker has already spoken with more than half the NFL teams.

Still, the Redskins could be in the market for a quarterback and Locker intrigues many teams here. One NFC front office official says Locker, who will play for the North team in Saturday's Senior Bowl, might be the best senior quarterback in Mobile this week--but also might be only the fourth-best quarterback in April's draft. The front office official -- along with several draft analysts -- has Locker ranked behind Missouri's Blaine Gabbert, Auburn's Cam Newton and Arkansas' Ryan Mallett.

Locker said every interview he's conducted has featured some version of the same question: Why did you return to school for a senior season?

"I wouldn't change anything about it," Locker said this week.

Many projected Locker as the No. 1 pick in last year's draft. After a shaky senior season, his stock has fallen and he now looks like a late first-round pick -- maybe earlier, maybe later. But still, he says, he has no regrets about his decision.

"By going back, I graduated. I got my degree. We won a bowl game. We won the Holiday Bowl," he said. "I finished what I set out to (do) when I committed to the University of Washington. For me, those two reasons made it worth it to me. I wouldn't change anything about it. I wouldn't go back and do it any differently, knowing the outcome. I'm very proud of what we accomplished as a football team. And it's something nobody will be able to take away from us. That's something I can carry with me the rest of my life."

Locker has had an up-and-down week of practices this week. (In fact, Florida State's Christian Ponder might be improving his draft stock the most this week among quarterbacks.) Locker's accuracy will continue to be a question mark, but scouts have raved about his performance in interviews with team officials.

By Rick Maese  | January 26, 2011; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tailgate Zone: Should the Redskins draft Jake Locker?
Next: Baylor's Phil Taylor is biggest man on campus

Comments

Too content with mediocrity..

Posted by: frak | January 26, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Aaa, like rickyroge said, WHAT THE HELL DO WE KNOW WHAT SHANNY IS THIMKING??

Not like we're going to stop being Skins fans if they draft him...

Just please don't...

Posted by: frak | January 26, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The people who don't want to take a quarterback at #10 are both right and wrong.

They are right as the team would benefit in the long term from adding another stud line to either front line.

They are wrong to somehow suggest that a quarterback of any caliber would satisfy for the long term.

The NFL at the present is a quarterback-driven league with pass-friendly rules, meaning whomever is under center should not be some Jake Delhomme-Jon Kitna type being led along by a powerful defense.

But you can't decide if that guy is the one you want until you pick him and get him into camp: such is the nature of drafting for the position.

A team like ours with a developing offensive line would benefit from an athletic young quarterback who can move, slide, reset, and make throws upfield.

This means Locker or Newton or ? should be on our radar, but because of past failures, folks fear moving forward--and with good reason.

And whereas we can't really say who's the best at that, we all must admit that at some point the franchise needs a permanent fixture under center.

So, we are wrong to suggest that this year is not the year to find that player at pick 10.

But we must find him, and will be happy and right if he proves to be the guy we've been waiting for all along.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

from John Riggins ...

Time to get a fresh face at coach? It’s failed in the past with the Spurrier experiment and the Zorn debacle, but Mike Tomlin and Mike McCarthy are great coaches, and they get the absolute best out of their players after being plucked from obscurity. I’m not saying Shanahan is a bad coach, or that we should get rid of him. More so that if it doesn’t work out and we cut our ties with the Shanahan family, it might be time to look to get younger on the sideline in addition to on the field. Mike Tomlin has a chance to earn his second Super Bowl ring in four seasons, one more than Bill Cowher did in 15! Might it be time to say goodbye to the old guard and bring in the new?

Here’s to a brighter future…Go Skins!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 26, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sa11231 | January 26, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Lots of great updates on the senior bowl practice. Here are some "measurables" from po scouts about some of the players we seem to like.

==================

The Senior Bowl is coming up on Saturday, and naturally, most scouts aren't very concerned with the outcome of the game itself. They're more interested in things like the weigh in, where players get sized up off campus for the first time. It's the first chance to find out their actual heights and weights, as opposed to the often tweaked numbers that colleges put out.

Here is one collection of the measureables from this year's weigh in, but as a bonus, it comes with impressions of players physiques too. Did you know that Greg McElroy has a "decent upper-body with a sturdy frame"? Or that Derrick Locke is "small with average tone and definition"? If not, you probably could have guessed. Those are two of the more mundane descriptions, though.

Boise State's Titus Young gets an appraisal of "thin with no definition. Goofy gait. Small chicken-like legs." What about Florida State's Rodney Hudson? "Squatty with thick midsection and manboobs." Ugh. Notre Dame's Ian Williams: "Fireplug who is thick and solid with bubble butt." I don't even know if that's good or bad.

It's more than a bit unsettling to go through and read all the descriptions of these players, but this is apparently what passes for scouting these days. It's not for nothing that people call the scouting process on all levels a meat market.

The best of it all is the descriptions for the kickers and punters. After looking at all these "massive," "big," and "toned" athletes, what kind of verbiage do the specialists get?

Nebraska's Alex Henery: "Ordinary person. Looks like a computer geek."

Florida's Chas Henry: "Tall with a goofy awkward build."

LSU's Josh Jasper: "Looks like a grocery store stock boy."

Ouch, man

Posted by: kerzon417 | January 26, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

The first oone was won--admittedly--with Cowher's team.

But if he wins in two weeks, does he suddenly vault over the likes of, say, Gruden, Seifert, Vermiel, Holmgren, Billick, and other 1-and-done modern head coaches?

I'd say, yes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the attitude to trade back and add more players is healthy, promotes scouting and overall team dynamic, but last year's personnel decisions left a little to be desired..

We fans feel snakebit from our favorite team's decision-making..

Posted by: frak | January 26, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"It would nice to acquire a young, charismatic star in the mode of Ryan, Bradford, or Rivers this go round."

These qbs college careers where light years away from anything Jake Locker did. And they are the complete opposite type of QB that Cam is.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Moe

I think cam would be the better choice over locker

Were struggling with reguards to playmakers

Having Cam could make the defenses change the way they play us

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | January 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Locker is the best QB by far right now in the draft.

I am a southerner now living in Cali. And I see at least 2 times Locker beat USC by himself with his arm and legs in his career. He has all the physical tools of Aaron Rodgers, another Pac-10 product. The main difference is accuracy. Rodgers is more accurate right now but maybe not right out of college.

I like the other QBs listed above me, mainly Mallett. I am kind of down on Gabbert and Newton mainly b/c they come from a spread offense. Locker learned under a great offensive mind Sarkisian, former offensive coordinator at USC, and learned the pro style offense.

The Redskins would be lucky to get Locker. But they will probably take Newton, which has a huge upside too.

Posted by: tim_carpenter | January 26, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

stu

You're right to a degree.

These Cam and Jake's might trend out to be more like Mike Vick: someone who was more athletic and than polished coming out of college.

And when you look at how defenses are today, a guy who can move and avoid pressue like Vick is more like what you want.

Plus: these guys can be more than the time they spent in college.

Remember: Apart of any coach's assessment is, how much can this guy grow in our system?

They don't stay 23-24 forever, you know.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Locker is the best QB by far right now in the draft.

Posted by: tim_carpenter | January 26, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sa11231 | January 26, 2011 2:15 PM

Why would anyone here give ashti about a link to the Clots. This is a Redskins blog.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 26, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Locker is the best QB by far right now in the draft.

Posted by: tim_carpenter | January 26, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Newton over Locker, but neither with the 10th pick. Take Von Miller or an OT there.

Posted by: dc202jp | January 26, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Locker is the best QB by far right now in the draft.

Posted by: tim_carpenter

fwiw, I think Rodgers completed something like 20 passes in a row vs USC when he was in college. A bunch of scouts had been there to watch the USC QB (Leinart, I think) and a few of the other SC big boys. They left talking about Rodgers.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 26, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

#51- Brees played the majority of the season with the same injury. Cutler is a world class d0uche and doesn't get a pass by me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 26, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Moe I hear ya on the "athletics" side for the QB. But the guys that get the job done are still the Mannings and Bradys, Big Ben. Aaron Rodgers has been 1st or second in the league in rush yards for a QB for years now depending on Vick. But a great running QB is not what you think of when you see Aaron Rodgers. To me being able to adjust in the pocket and avoid pressure is a prerequisite. After that I want a guy that is always looking down field to pass not to run. Cam could get you in trouble as I feel he will still rely on his legs. I personally dont want a mike vike QB.

As ives stated I just dont get Jake Locker. When you max out at 21 Tds you junior year how do you expect this guy to pass for 30-40 TDs in the NFL. That is evaluation way beyond what I can see.

I just dont see how you can say well he was below average in college but he played in a pro system with little talent so if you give him good talent he will be great. I dont think so, he also faces great D, stuff that he has yet to see. But everyone has already anointed him pro ready, they have called him pro ready for years now, thus he will be pro ready.

My question why wasn't he College ready?

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 26, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

pfunk, who said VJ is "elite"? I haven't heard anyone say that...just that he's a big, playmaking target that would fit nicely with the Shanahan system. Nobody's calling him the next Andre Johnson or anything (although he certainly has the talent to be if he wanted to), so I'm not sure what you're missing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"Elite" was the word used in Halsell's post. And what did you call him? "Top-flight", I believe? And is there much of a difference between the two? And is VJ even "top-flight" based on one nice season he had?

He's not Andre Johnson; but somehow he's apparently going to get paid like Andre Johnson if $10mill/year is the going rate.

So I don't think I'm missing anything.

Let someone else break the bank overpaying this overrated system-guy who had one nice year grabbing the coat-tails of Rivers and Gates...and let's move on.

Posted by: p1funk | January 26, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I may not have read it correctly, but didn't Locker's college team change from the spread to a pro-style offense while he was there? So a bit of a slump might be expected as he adjusts to more snaps from under center. Need to look at his progression under Sarkasian and his commitment to his underwhelming team. I think that he is a talented stand up guy with some raw skills that he started revamping in his senior year. So, I think that if he is available at 10 we should really look hard at taking Locker.

Now realize that I was completely floored by us trading for McNabb and not moving up to get Bradford last year too. Distraught...I think THAT was the kid we wanted. Anyways. the ShanAllens are in charge and I will have faith in our rebuilding process, come what may. HTTR

Posted by: shanahananigans | January 26, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The Steelers have stability, a good front office, and a scouting department that knows how to find good players year in and year out. Their team drafts well and when they do get a free agent they get good ones and then know how to use them. They look for football players not solely at biceps, abs, and 40 times. Our scouting department and front office have been unimpressive. It is nice to have a real GM now but what significant changes have been made in the scouting department? Are the same old scouts going to make better decisions just because Allen is in charge. I doubt it but would love to be proved wrong.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | January 26, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's 21 QB's Snyder's been through since he bought the team:

Gus Frerotte, Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Rodney Pete, Jeff George, Todd Husak, Tony Banks, Kent Graham, Shane Matthews, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Gibran Hamdan, Tim Hasselback, Rob Johnson, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan, John Beck, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman

How many more names do we have to add to that list ... until they realize that NO ONE will succeed in DC until we build a solid O-line and quit changing our schemes, play callers and coaches every other year?

If we waste our top pick / FA pick ups and trades this year on more QB's, WR's and RB's ... WITH OUT fixing the O-line first ... we'll end up with the same sad results as the last few years.

I'd much rather have a dominant O-line, giving lots of time to our average QB so he can find our average wide receivers down field, and also watch our O-line open up some huge holes for our medicore RB's to run through .... than watch our new 1st round future HOF QB get sacked every other play, and our new tall, fast future Pro Bowl wide receivers, standing wide open down field, waving their arms back and forth because our QB is running for his life in the opposite direction.

Trade down with our #1 pick and focus on the O-line first.

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | January 26, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ranked in the middle of the pack of d-1 qbs. I am now absolutely convinced that there appears to be a negative correlation between college performance by a qb and nfl attraction. Almost as if they're two totally different sports. I have always none that a Heisman is the kiss of death, but I didn't realize it went beyond that.

Posted by: GregGrapsas | January 26, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GregGrapsas | January 26, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Do not draft this guy please. Reciever and beef up interior line. This will make Grossman better. Draft a Dalton or Stanzi late and see what happens.

Posted by: joeortega4 | January 26, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Redskins do not need this Locker. They need a Locker full of professional athletes starting with defensive line, offensive line, quarterback, running backs, tight ends, wide receivers, linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties, punter, and kicker. And this Locker full of professionals need an inspiring coaching staff, not the current bunch of estrogen-overloaded bush league clowns, jokers, and retards.

Posted by: v6this | January 26, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: v6this | January 26, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | January 26, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------
Second.

Posted by: inva | January 26, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

FootballCardSnatcher,

Will you please stop saying the same garbage over and over.

1. Your wrong, Trent Green had a good year at quarterback with us, we let him go to the Rams for more money. Dumb of us.

2. Wrong #2. Brad Johnson was a pro bowler with us. We let him go because we thought Jeff George was better. Yet again dumb of us.

What you and many of the people here have failed to realize is this, good quarterback play makes the players around them better. Brad Johnson didn't have the best line in the world, but guess what? We went to the playoffs, we got pretty deep in the playoffs actually, because he played at a pro bowl level.

We need a quarterback good enough to raise the player's talent level. We haven't had a guy with that talent since Brad Johnson. Instead we've relied on 2nd round talent (Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell. Both were considered early 2nd round players we reached for. Both had pro bowl tackles around them most of there careers. Can't simply blame the line for their faults.) and over the hill veterans (Mark Brunell and Donavon Mcnabb come to mind. Both started off well, but there play diminished due to there age.)

If you haven't noticed by now, thats the only way your going to the playoffs in this pass driven league. With exceptional quarterback play on your team. The rules make it so that it is a quarterback league.The defenses play because of these new rules, also makes quarterbacks that can extend plays and throw outside of the pocket a necessity.

Now Jake Locker can do this, he's played in a pro style offense, is a four year starter and despite what Rick Mease (I honestly have no idea who this is by the way.) what I've heard from the scouts and coaches and seen myself is that Jake Locker had a bad day 1 but played very well day 2 and day 3 and is by in far the best senior prospect. And his passes are coming out smooth and crisp with little to no arrant throws.

To me and maybe even Shanahan (he loved this guy last year but no one has gotten his thoughts on Locker this year. Or any prospect for that matter.) this guy seems to be an obvious fit for this offense and worth getting so that we can improve our overall team not just one position.

Posted by: culprit59 | January 26, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | January 26, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------
Second.

Posted by: inva | January 26, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember Heath Shuller?

Posted by: WmLaney | January 26, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Shuler was a big bust! I remember. If we draft well we will be fine. We need a qb that can throw and yet mobile. A strong physical back. I think we can get a steal from D1-AA in DeAngelo Branche from Norfolk State (6 ft 1, 220 pds). We can get him late I'm sure. We can get a big receiver from free agency since we want to win now. After picking a qb in round 1 we can get a DT, another OT, and add some depth.

Posted by: mmason1 | January 26, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmason1 | January 26, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mmason1 | January 26, 2011 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to SERIOUSLY take a look at this QB. He is a playmaker. Strong arm, accurate, and is tall/big.

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:03 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to SERIOUSLY take a look at this QB. He is a playmaker. Strong arm, accurate, is tall/big, and mobile.

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

My sincere apologies. I did not intend making the previous post about Colin 4 times.

Unfortunately, there was a computer snaffu and, for whatever reason when I attempted to make the post, the screen would hand and then give me some sort of time out errors.

Once again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers!

Posted by: mi6-007 | January 26, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

If we draft Locker in APR, I hope -- for his sake -- he pulls an Eli-Manning-John-Elway-type hissy fit to be traded away. Considering our O-line, I can see the "Hurt Locker" headlines already...

Posted by: ClayDoh19 | January 27, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Frak... since when was earning a college degree considered being "Too content with mediocrity" as you put it? His pro football career will likely end when he's in his mid to late 30's...if he's lucky. His education will carry him through the rest of his life. I wish more young people had the patience this young man has.

Posted by: mcwop | January 28, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Tomlin INHERITED Cowher's team that won the Superbowl against the Seahawks! He's just riding Cowher's team up to this point. I'm tired of the steelers, they should have lost the Superbowl to the Cardinals. Go Packers.

Posted by: zenaf88 | January 28, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 -JOHN RIGGINS IS AN IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO HIS THOUGHTS ON THE REDSKINS. Here we are 1 season into a new coach and he's pondering "time for a fresh face?". Are you kidding me? If theres one thing the skins need, it is STABILITY. a new coach means another new playbook to learn. what an clueless idiot! wasn't zorn one of those unknowns he wants in here? isnt he younger than Shanahan? I really think john riggins should stop writing while drinking. how bout getting rid of the 5 win product that is on the field?? how about going into a draft with a lot of picks and building??? what a retard.

Posted by: lszovati | January 31, 2011 2:16 AM | Report abuse

The QB switching around with Brad Johnson and Jeff George was when we were really messed up. We kept switching coaches and offensive schemes, and the most tragic thing, we were signing new QB's before we hired coaches so the QB did not match the offensive scheme and vice versa. Kind of like Gibbs drafting of JC who met the type of offense he wanted to run, then switching to Zorn and the West Coast style. Staying consistent with a scheme is important.
That is why it is so important to stay with Shanahan for at least 4 years and support him. Is going to take a while to get this mess cleaned up. Kind of like

Posted by: skins50 | January 31, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse