Redskins won't tip their hand as Bradford, McCoy, Tebow visit

If the Redskins' interest in quarterbacks is only a smoke screen to mask their true draft intentions, then they're staging a full-court hoax.

We reported Thursday that former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen is scheduled to begin a two-day visit this afternoon. Sam Bradford, considered by many draft evaluators to be the No. 1 overall pick, is supposed to come to town next week, and there is a National Football Post report that former Texas QB Colt McCoy is expected to arrive in Ashburn shortly after Clausen departs. McCoy reportedly completed all 55 of his pass attempts Wednesday during Texas' pro day.

McCoy is expected to be available in the second round. If the Redskins used their first-round pick -- fourth overall -- on, oh, let's say a prototype left tackle such as Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, they might be able to get McCoy, former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow or another of the supposedly second-tier quarterbacks in the class with the 37th overall pick in Round 2 on April 23.

With the Redskins' quarterback situation, it would seem the position would be a primary focus for Coach Mike Shanahan, whose greatest success occurred while working with Hall of Famers John Elway and Steve Young. Obviously, the Redskins have had major problems along the offensive line the past two seasons, and taking a lineman with the first pick also seems like somewhat of a no-brainer.

At this point, however, who knows what Shanahan is thinking? And has he even reached a decision yet? Shanahan might not get to that point until the Redskins officially are on the clock.

Haynesworth's new ride

Albert Haynesworth has a new boat. It's "badass." DC SportsBog has the details.

McNabb's future

Does Donovan McNabb have anything left in the old tank? Could he turn around a floundering franchise? The League inquires.

By Jason Reid  |  April 2, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall says Orakpo will 'fit perfectly' in Redskins' new defensive scheme
Next: Redskins sign Willie Parker, add experience and competition at RB

Comments

If everyone keeps saying "you can win with an average quaterback" and good offensive line...

THEN

ALSO...

I would not be concerned with a QB at #4 if they took a Tackle at #37. If they don't pick a Tackle with the 1st or 2nd round pick, THEN you scream foul!

I think we're in a win-win situation.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 2, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | April 2, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Look how the Eagles are stockpiling picks. They have 10 this year, including one first, one second, two thirds and two fourths. Hope we don't trade up to #1 and LOSE picks. We need to add picks for quality depth. MS is probably fully aware after studying film.

Posted by: quinn3 | April 2, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"If the Redskins used their first-round pick -- fourth overall -- on, oh, let's say a prototype left tackle such as Oklahoma State's Russell Okung,"

Oh, lets say Okunbg is not there then what genious, everyone acts like it's a lock that Okung will be there at 4. I would say it's more like a 30% chance he's there and if so then yes they should draft him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 12:44 PM |

I am like you, anything associated with the V-man is no good. And up until today I was in the same boat with you. Just stating the possibility of an open mind. For the record I never implied taking him @4. Never hurts to have a firey competitor at the QB position. I believe Phillip Rivers has that jerk-a$$ attitude and he goes to war every sunday with that mentality.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd bring Flozell in to see what he has as a RT, can't hurt.

Ugh, with people claiming rogers is a good corner, we've seen this show for the past 5 years, we know how it ends...double move for the td, easy pick 6 dropped...call me when he improves on that...

beautiful day up here, supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Eric Berry speaks of Sean Taylor, Redskins' new defense after visit"

--REDSKIN INSIDER

Us west coasters are a lil behind here. BUT, taking Berry makes sense if the following happens.

EITHER: They move Landry up to outside Linebacker. I saw him on NFL Total Access and he's freaking HUGE and cut like a diamond. WE KNOW he can blitz.

OR they trade Landry for a starting OLT.

Okay, then what happens is, in effect the veteran OLT is the first round pick. Berry, a free safety either replaces Landry who was better as a strong safety. OR

Iff he move to LB, they've made two key improvements on D, and can use #2 rounder for a starting lineman.

Of course that assumes Shanahan won't draft a QB somewhere--and I believe he will.

Posted by: TheCork | April 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hall had 9 passes defensed with 4 picks, Rogers had 12 with ZERO picks.

I think the notion that Rogers is better than Hall in coverage is greatly exaggerated.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:30 PM |

I will take Hall in that comparison, plus Hall is not a whiny b_tch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hall is a superior cornerback to Carlos Rogers in every way except for providing run-support.

Of the 65 cornerbacks in the NFL who played at least 50% of their teams d-snaps, Carlos Rogers ranked 59th in opposing QB rating against at 112.5 (meaning the cumulative QB rating of opposing QBs throwing into his coverage was 112.5). Hall ranked 4th (54.2) behind only Darelle Revis, Leon Hall and Charles Woodson.

Haters talk about Hall getting burned "all the time", yet they choke up when you ask for any actual examples when that happened, and predictably they have to fall back on the atrocious 8 games he spent in Oakland.

Rogers on the other hand has about 8 games in his career at the start of the 2008 season when he played solid CB.

So Rogers plays well for 8 games in his career and he's a more "solid" CB than Hall.

Hall (a 2x ProBowler) played poorly for 8 games in his career and he's an overpaid overrated CB who gets burned all the time.

Go figure.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

What round were Gocong and the other guy drafted in? Wasn't Gocong a 3rd, or 4th round guy?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I would look at both Adams and Hamlin if we can get them for cheap then no problem.

Hamlin coulkd help some of the young Safties we have and we could move LL back to SS.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

You can't stockpile picks when the previous regime (Gibbs included) gave them away like candy.

-ALSO-

You stockpile picks when you have players that other teams want.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 2, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

McCoy is solid, he's a winner, great leader, the one thing that a QB has to have for shanny is at the very least, an above average arm. I do not believe McCoy is in the cards for our future.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

**Re-Post**

Reading the Cowboys blog it seems that their fans are more upset over the release of Ken Hamlin than Flozell Adams.

I think the Redskins should make a run at Hamlin. I've been doing a little reading and he served as the MLB for their secondary -- Laron could use someone like that.

No to Flo. I don't like the dude. I think he's a dirty piece of sh*t that is willing to jeopardize the career of his opponent. Besides, the dude is a walking "False start".

**End of Re-Post**

bean, with the trouble the 'Skins had moving the ball last season, they can't afford to have 1 and 15 situations. And that is what Flozell Adams is good for.

And taking out the knee of a rusher when he's been beat.

F Flozell Adams.

Hey the north-mid Atlantic states deserve some nice weather after all the rain and overcast the past few days.

F allergies too.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

If there's one thing I'm a bit disappointed in with our "braintrust" so far, it's been the inability to make some trades and recoup picks this year.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Come on, funk -- Redskins have a lot more needs than they have surplus talent. The guys we could trade are guys that we're counting on. Trade one of them and you open up a new need that you have to fill with a fourth round pick.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out why we cut Betts instead of trading him for that 3rd round pick.

Seriously, I think we can/should trade Laron Landry, and with Philip Buchanon in the fold we should move Carlos Rogers as well.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I certainly dont think that Carlso is a great or even good CB. But i dont see how you can say Hall is a good or great CB either. Im just glad the boys didnt release Terrance Newman, im sure people would be hoping for us to get him. I want that guy to always be a cowgirl.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

**End of Re-Post**

And taking out the knee of a rusher when he's been beat.

F Flozell Adams.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm always wary of ex-Girls on our team, but Hamlin might give us the veteran stability we need at free safety. He knows the NFC East, and he got his payday in Dallas. If he can be had on the cheap, I see the wisdom of the move.

No to Flo. He is a walking penalty-generator.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

red, was flo, a LT, or a RT last year, can't recall??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM |

I would actually sa with 58 tackles compared to 39 that hall is better in run support.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

If you read my previous post, the you'll see why I think Hall is a good corner.

2x ProBowler who is entering his prime playing years, and opposing QBs had a 54 passer rating against him last year.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Awwwwwwww, Reid said "badass".

Awwwwwwwwww...

Where is the resident blog cop with is whistle, flash light, and mace?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm so against ex cowboys joing the skins. All started with Norv. Great expectations with little results. Yeah throw in "prime time". I'm jaded but with cause.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think Gocong was a 3rd and Sheldon Brown a 2nd. Eagles are probably posturing to move McNabb.

Posted by: quinn3 | April 2, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I would bring in Hamlin for a look. but Im also wondering why we havent made a move for Atogwe. Shouldnt there be some familiarity there with Haslett? OJA doesnt appear to have any strings attached pick wise either.

Posted by: Stu27 | April 2, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

OR they trade Landry for a starting OLT.

Posted by: TheCork | April 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Cork, I thought of Landry as a 3-4 OLB as well.

Then I looked up his bio. He's about 215 and would need to put on about 25-30 pounds to get up to a "standard" weight for an OLB. If he puts on that much weight, he loses explosiveness and blows out a joint.

Besides, if the dude can't learn how to switch from SS to FS, I don't have much confidence in him properly picking up an entirely foreign position like OLB.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

bean, I think he played LT.

They had Doug Free in there at RT when Colombo missed a few games.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM |

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa you kill me!!!!!

Betts for a 3rd Betts is still an UFA so nobody wants him even for league minimum.

You want to trade 1st round pick LL who's been playing out of position, for what the most he would get you is a 4th.

Trade Carlos Rogers that I would agree with but I think the kitched staff at Redskins park can make there own Ham sandwiches, wich is all Rogers is worth.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Before Jay Cutler, Shanahan never drafted a QB higher than the 3rd round. When he drafted Cutler, he never talked to him beforehand.

I smell a smoke screen, Shanahan knows where the most *dire* need on this team is.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk
------------------
If only we had a time machine... And if only you could trade with yourself... I bet Vinny would have given up a 3rd for Betts.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Catching up ... on Orakpo.

Last year, I supported mgmt's experiment with him to figure out what he could do best. I wasn't a lone voice on that, but definitely a minority. Most wanted him with his hand down at DE. Me, I saw questions and abilities that made me think LB would be worth the experiment.

Well, the experiment happened and we have the answer, don't we? Hand down at DE.

When you have a great player, you put him in his best position and let him excel. Stop screwing with Orakpo and let him play DE, full time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 2, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Any team that knows what it's doing, especially one with such a high pick is going to bring in a wide array of players. They do it for many reasons, sometimes to fool other teams, but mainly to be prepared for any number of scenarios that could arise where they may need to choose between players that they had not previously planned on.

Also, they may simply be scouting the kids as future opponents and/or comparing them to others at the position.

WAKE UP!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm still wandering how Orakpo is any good I mean Vinny did pick him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The "trade Betts for a third" is a long running joke up here with many...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM |

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa you kill me!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

According to some of the experts up here, Betts is worth a 3rd round pick; and we can still move CP26 for a 2nd rounder...

IMO, LL30 should be traded. He has all the trappings of Roy Williams 2.0. Let's move him for some value before he gets even more badly exposed in coverage and becomes a part-time player. Besides, I think Horton brings as much to the table as LL30, except he's cheaper and more coachable.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, remember the TJ Duckett trade?

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

I don't know about CP for a 2nd rounder, but I'm more than positive that Santana Moss can yield a 1st.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

p1,

You got me with that, reeled me right on in.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:15 PM

The reason that the Eagles are able to trade for picks is that they have depth which the Redskins lack. Rogers and Landry are both starters, better than the guys behind them, and better than the "two in the bush" picks you could get for them.

We haven't got much to offer. I don't see us trading for picks unless it's a pick in next year's draft. I do see the possibility of trading for players, either before or after the draft.

And, I would bring it Hamlin, but not Adams. I like Levi Jones better than Adams and he'll probably sign at some point.

Posted by: League-Source | April 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The "trade Betts for a third" is a long running joke up here with many...

Yup, because you're giving him away. Anything less than a second rounder, and you're getting robbed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Flozell Adams is a walking penalty factory. I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that he was the most penalized player in the NFL last year?

Plus, the team rarely has any luck with former ex Cowboy players.

My gut says pass...

Posted by: dfbovey | April 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Is this the first NFL Draft you've ever covered Reid? It's not a F-ing smokescreen, it's called DUE DILIGENCE....

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 1:29 PM

I agree with most of your post, but Shanahan DOES use smoke screens.

Before the 2006 draft Shanahan and kept his interest of Cutler very close to the vest.

Shanny didn't show Cutler around, didn't wine him, didn't dine him, and didn't bring him in for a private workout. Most accounts sugges Cutler had no idea that the Broncos were interested in him prior to actually being drafted.

Shanahan's reputation is that he's BIG on watching film to assess players, he doesn't put too much emphasis on seeing them in person as we're being led to beleive--unless he's seriously changed since his stint with the Broncs.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Betts was worth a 3rd rounder after that 1000 yard season. Now, he is worth a retirement.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, remember the TJ Duckett trade?

Posted by: p1funk

Thanks for enabling suicidal thoughts.

If Duckett is worth a THIRD than Portis is gotta be worth a first this year and in 2011.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for enabling suicidal thoughts.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Only if the motivation is to keep him away from the Eagles........

Posted by: dfbovey | April 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I say draft Berry with the #4 pick and take a RT or LT in the 2nd round. Remeber shanahan's system is based on zone blocking rather than huge run blocking NFC east types of lineman.
If were lucky we can move Crogers (who has expressed the fact that he does not want to be here) for a 2nd round pick and then we can take 2 Olinemen in the the 2nd round.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 2, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for enabling suicidal thoughts.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:42 PM |

What was Gibbs thinking that was just crazy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's reputation is that he's BIG on watching film to assess players.

Posted by: Alan4
__________________

A ridiculous strategy. Should be all about the Combine & Pro Day.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 2, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The "trade Betts for a third" is a long running joke up here with many...

Posted by: RedDMV
---------------
Yup. Giving my best effort to keep it running, but my RI talent is worth nowhere near a 3rd. Luckily my contract is guaranteed and I'm uncuttable.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

CP for a second? Moss for a first? Betts for a third?

Come on, dudes, April Fools was yesterday.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, remember the TJ Duckett trade?

Posted by: p1funk

Thanks for enabling suicidal thoughts.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean to bring a gray cloud into our lovely Spring day.

It's just that we were sarcastically talking about giving up a 3rd round pick for a backup running back, and someone joked about how only an idiot organization like the Skins would do something like that...and then I remembered that we DID do something like that...

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It must be very painful for Jason Reid to write these stories about future QBs visiting the Redskins. His boy JC is going to be given his pink slip sooner or later. Oh the pain!

Posted by: theBozyn1 | April 2, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok, not a 3rd. But how 'bout a quarter? or an eighth?? No?..... dimebag?

...darryl?....

..maps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Red.....you think Santana is still worth a 1st?

Posted by: westjr88 | April 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

what made the duckett trade even worse was the lack of use, he hardly got used...just a complete waste...kind of like Betts,who was completely underused in his however many years with this team....

I will say, I was surprised at the number of carried LJ has had in his career. Much lower than I had expected.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Flound, Gibbs was thinking that Betts sucked, and I'm sure he had no clue Rock Cartwright even existed.

You would've been met with Joe Gibbs' cackle when suggesting that Cartwright should get more carries.

After that game when Cartwright rushed for over 100 yards in St. Louis back in '05, I'm sure he could've garnered a 4th rounder...

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha....

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes. All those years sitting behind Holmes preserved him.

It's funny b/c that donkey Matt Moseley who blogs for ESPN NFC East wrote a big post after the Skins signed LJ about how it didn't make sense that the Skins would pass up Thomas Jones, LT or Brian Westrbook in favor of LJ who apparently didn't have any "tread" left.

The big ignoramous got called out in about 100 posts on his comments section noting that LJ had hundreds fewer NFL touches in his career than all those guys...

But that's what you get from a Dallas guy...ignorant hot air...

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Alan4:

I hear you, in fact I have lived in Colorado for the last 11 years and do allow for the fact that Shanny is very capable of skullduggery re: whom he will draft.

I am simply sick and tired of the Amateur Hour that RI has become. This Reid character latches onto some internet fodder and does not let it go. He has no discernable journalistic skills or integrity as is evidenced by the "Content" he puts up on the site.

As sad and demented as it sounds, I will never stop critiquing him until he is gone.

To quote the Great George Constanza:

"All I want is an apology and for him to be fired"

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Not in my book. Until he learns how to hold onto thrown balls in traffic he's nothing, a zero. Too many deflections and fumbles going to the wrong end-zone for my taste.

Posted by: glawrence007

Fred Davis had 5 drops last year.

Vernon Davis had ELEVEN, Celek had nine, Colston had eight, Calvin Johnson had eight, Driver and Avery had five apiece.

Those guys are nothings and zeros as well, I guess.

Oh and, for the record, Moss had 5 drop passes also.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

How many of those you mention had drops, deflections, and fumbles go the wrong way for TD's? And besides who cares what anyone else did? We're talking about what DAVIS did. See the forest, not the trees. We're talking about his whole body of reception work, or lack thereof. Come on RED, Jeeze.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

N O C O W B O Y C A S T O F F S ! ! !

No Ken "Harry" Hamlin. He sucks! If they bring in Flozell Adams I bet AH stomps on his head during training camp. While the crowd cheers!

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Red.....you think Santana is still worth a 1st?

Posted by: westjr88

Oh most certainly.

Just look at what he did back in 2005 as proof. Moss is a beast!

p1, you thought I was serious?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Should the 'skins "bring him in" for a visit?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Fcuk NO!!

People in the state of Texas have good football accumen....EXCEPT when it comes to CowGirl Fans....Then they don;t no jack sh!t....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas! F them I say!

And HAH! to NFL All Access cement-heads Woodson and Dukes! They were on TV YESTERDAY saying that the Dallas F'ing Cow-molesters were in great shape because Adams can play! And their secondary is all that because they've got Harry Hamlin! Yeah right!

F Dallas! and their cheerleaders...

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

And remember....

Vinny is to Notre Dame as Kyle Shanny is To Texas Univ.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh most certainly.

Just look at what he did back in 2005 as proof. Moss is a beast!

p1, you thought I was serious?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Serious about what?

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 1:57 PM

Its the offseason, all that is going on are draft and trade rumors that are coming from other sources. What exactly do you expect from JR, a minute by minute accounting of what Shanahan and Allen are doing? Its a blog not 1010 wins.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

- I don't understand your first question.

- We use other players when determining the value or talent of one particular player. You know, since in football you're competing against OTHER people.

- You're going to judge Fred Davis on roughly half a season of actually playing -- you do know that last year was the first time he got any real burn, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Sleepy done good.

He was covering for an all-pro and had none help.

I'm not saying he's Mike Ditka, but he did enough to engender trade rumors around CC.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Serious about what?

Posted by: p1funk

suicidal thoughts...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm still wandering how Orakpo is any good I mean Vinny did pick him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM

Whaaa?

The Def ROY and 1st Team All Pro and Pro Bowler who plays the exact same position got picked 2 spots after Orakpo......

But y'all keep going ahead and ignoring the facts....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Why not draft a QB at #4? This is a win-win situation. If either Claussen or Bradford turns out to be a stud, then we're set at QB for a decade...if they bust, then you still have two "average" QB's on your team."

I don't agree with this assumption. There was a gentleman named Shuler that we drafted very early in the draft that turned out to be far less than average. it may turn out to be a smart move, but there is way more risk involved with a QB at this spot

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | April 2, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

No, of course I don't expect anything like a minute by minute account of the FO's activities, especially since Reid has no sources inside Redskins Park beyond loud mouth DeAngelo Hall.

For starters I'd like some responsible reporting. IE: NOT making statements like:

-Since he was only tendered as a 1st rd pick, JC is CLEARLY not in the Skins future plans.

-The QB visits must be a hoax

-An ex coach told me I was right about my o-line assesment.

-They really whiffed on not signing Clifton, Pashos et al

-Insinuating that Vinny is somehow still involved

-"I keep hearing Shannahan will draft and raise a young QB" (Repeated here at least a dozen times by Reid)

And basically, what I'd like to see, blog or not, is a RI that does not have better info coming from the posters than it does the beat writers.

This guy is totally unqualified IMO to be doing this job. He is a joke.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

'Skins are going to draft Dan LeFevour at 37.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor, what does your post have to do with Orakpo? You cannot sit there and say he was a bad pick even with Cushing having the better rookie year statistically. Cushing was not moved out of position like Orakpo was and Orakpo proved to be extremely versatile and valuable to our defense. I am confused as to what your post was meant to say... Orakpo isn't a good player? Wasn't a good pick? Doesn't fit a 3-4 defense 100 times better than a Brian Cushing?... please enlighten me as to what point you are trying to make........???

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I think we plan on taking Okung then Tebow.

I'm not sure either will be there when we pick, though.

Posted by: lordtwang | April 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm still wandering how Orakpo is any good I mean Vinny did pick him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM

Whaaa?

But y'all keep going ahead and ignoring the facts....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Huh?? Orakpo was a terrific pick, even if there is someone that is better that was picked after him. And Vinny did pick some good players along the way, spotting talent wasn't a major weakness.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM

Because its a blog, JR gets to inject his opinion into his posts no matter how wrong they may be. Do you think the things that he is repeating constantly is perhaps what the FO wants him to report. RI is about the posters and not JR. If you want a structured story about the skins check the sports page. Otherwise deal with it because I dont think they are going to fire him because of your rant, and I dont think ESPN or the NFL network will be calling him anytime soon.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 2:21 PM

I said it was a bad pick for a 4-3 Defensive team before the draft @ OLB. When we drafted him...I took a wait and see approach.....And it turned out to be true.

Orakpo was telling everyone he can be a OLB in a 4-3 or 3-4. So he was basically lying to improve his draft stock. He was on with LaVar every Friday during the season and LaVar kept telling him he should be a DE, and he was agreeing with him always. I done seen dude talk on both sides now. So, it's about the $$$, nothing else. I got nothing against him, save for the double talk.

I was saying Vinny made the wrong pick. I'm not saying Rakpo is a bad player. He just didn't fit the scheme.

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he meant oSACKpo was a bad pick, only that it doesn't make sense Vinnie picked 'im!

Hey, ... even a blind squirrel, eh?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"loud mouth DeAngelo Hall."

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

Maybe you should ask Hall to go fetch his tap dancing shoes since you're opposed to his talking.

Even if he's right.

I loved his quote when he said that guys on the team who haven't done anything -- that they think they're better than what they really are.

That was a shot at Carlos Rogers, IMO.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM

I have the same contentions.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer just dumped rose pedals all over WaitingGuilty.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I said it was a bad pick for a 4-3 Defensive team before the draft @ OLB. When we drafted him...I took a wait and see approach.....And it turned out to be true--- 4th

What does this even mean? I agree that he was not the perfect fit for an OLB in a 4-3 scheme but he more than proved capable of playing it. He wasn't great in coverage but certainly wasn't nearly the liability Landry was and as the season went on that was something he improved on.... ALSO a 3-4 OLB does still have to cover. Thats the beauty of the 3-4 scheme you never know which linebacker is coming and which one is dropping back, so your point here makes little sense...

He was a fine pick for the 4-3 and is an even better pick now that were going to a 3-4. Cushing on the other hand plays on the same side as Rocky.... I do not understand how you can say we made the "wrong" pick there... we found a pro-bowl player... period... no way hes the "wrong" player... even if there were other players out there with a better season statistically.... and even then I have a hard time saying that Cushings season was that much better than Orakpo's since they were used completely differently.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That was a shot at Carlos Rogers, IMO.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:34 PM

I think he was shooting that aimed directly to LL. As far as Los is concerned he is talented but just doesn't have the focus or have great instincts as a corner he's thinking to much back there. Dude can play against the big WR has a big body himself. we can't afford to lose him.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 2, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That was a shot at Carlos Rogers, IMO.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

For that matter he could very well have been looking in a mirror.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn you and your sane, reasonable responses Joffe...Damn you I say!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

____
No Reid you are the "no brainer." You build a team around a franchise QB!!! Think dallas had a great OL when Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman? they didn't.. in fact they went 1-15 that year.. but they got their franchise QB and a few years later won 3 super bowls in 4 years.. If Shanahan thinks Clausen is a franchise QB then he has to take him.. Draft a LT at 37 or better yet trade that pick to Balt for Gaithers...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 2, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What does this even mean? He wasn't great in coverage but certainly wasn't nearly the liability Landry was and as the season went on that was something he improved on....

==============================================

It means what I say...

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 2, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 2, 2010 2:46 PM

You forgot to blame JC17 and Obama

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Serious about what?

Posted by: p1funk

suicidal thoughts...

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

No...at least, I hope not.

Posted by: p1funk | April 2, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtsquirm1
_____
Anyone picked can be a bust.. not just QBs. OT Tony Mandarich was a bust. RB Blair Thomas was a bust.. The point is those are the exceptions not the rule.. The success rate of top 5 drafted players is much better than guys drafted later in the draft (and i'd say we can judge better today than in the past) Look franchise QB's don't come around that often so you get a change to grab one.. and a lot of people say Clausen can be one.. you grab him!!! Look at it this way by all accounts Chris Samuels was a great pick.. 6 times to the pro bowl.. but how many championships did he bring to Washington??? ZERO!! LT is not a difference maker.. QB is! High risk also can mean high reward!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | April 2, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

It means what I say...
Dude was getting burnt by 3rd receivers and TE all season long for key 1st downs and TDs.....Other teams were targeting him.....- 4th

I would like consistent examples of him getting burnt "all season." I agree to start the year he struggled and coverage wasn't his best attribute, however he improved on it and became a servicable cover linebacker. Also, your boy Cushing wasn't some stud coverage guy either... he typically spent most of his time up in the box cleaning up plays close to the LOS. Just saying, Orakpo was not that much of a liability in coverage, I am not sure where you are getting your information...

A pro bowl player is never the "wrong" pick. If you find a pro bowler at any position on any pick, then you made the correct pick...

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'm trying to figure how would you carry it if Orakpo turned out to be a bust.

You'd probably have welt marks on your shoulder from patting it so hard.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I really dig breathing and walking vertically.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

BUT... more importantly: Is Shanahan interested in drafting and "raising" a quarterback???

Posted by: sstackss | April 2, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah, but a bust at your top position hurts more than a bust at a lesser position.

There's something to be said for beefing up your non-star lineup and then getting lucky with a diamond in the rough.

...you need a good polisher, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow we been talking about this sh*t for months. Reid acts like he has breaking news. I think Okung is gonna be there at 4, cause the lions are looking at Sims right now and can you really pass up on Suh. I still say trading down to get Beluga and hopefully pouncey with pick we required, would be ideal. we dont need to drop a pick on Berry. Yesterday some guy had to explain the obvious of how we would use him with laundry. The reason I would trade him if we got Berry is so we could still get a first round talent at takle.

Posted by: 4skin | April 2, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

It means what I say...

Posted by: 4thFloor

I was one of the few that said we should look at Orakpo as an LB since Orakpo has some unique capabilities. And after 1 year, I say is best with his hand down. That's what I learned that in 2009.

There were two major questions about Orakpo at DE. And he answered them. He can handle the run OK from a DE spot and is he strong enough to go against OTs.

The other area of interest was this: he was fast against college competition, would his speed create problem against NFL OTs? Yes it does.

Put Orakpo at DE and let him become a beast doing what he does best.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh & I agree that VelosORAKPO shouldn't have been in at LB last year. I don't mind grooming him for the role. And I guess trial by fire in the rookie year overall worked out great.

But I'm not really enamored of the concept.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

This from Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson:

Clausen does a nice job of feeling pressure and executing play-action, a necessity with Shanahan. Clausen also processes information quickly and adeptly while displaying solid accuracy to all levels, also key components to excelling in Shanahan’s offense.

He then goes on to say this:

If it were up to me, I would select Okung and give Jason Campbell every opportunity to be the Redskins’ quarterback. Campbell may never be great, but he has been given a raw deal throughout his career to this point. The guidance and stability Shanahan should provide could really propel this former first-round pick’s career.

To which I say Christ Almighty. Has he seen Campbell in action? "processing information quickly and adeptly while displaying solid accuracy to all levels" ain't in the dude's repertoire and can't be coached.

Posted by: ChinaLake | April 2, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo = Fred Davis

When drafted most of us asked: why?

When we saw the results on the field play out we were glad they did.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 2, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Redskins signed Not-Fast Willie Parker.... 1 year deal that can MAX... that means absolute total could be 3.1 mil... so now we have 3 old, slow RBs... awesome.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 2, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

So Skins sign WIllie Parker today... HMMM, See Ya CP???

Posted by: Club320 | April 2, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | April 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Willie Parker added to backfield... Wassup Wapo? Where's the coverage?

Posted by: MattHouston | April 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we won't be going RB in the draft.

Between those 3 guys, we should be able to manage.

One piece of the team at a time, fellas.

This year, its probably O line.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | April 2, 2010 3:05 PM

You are right about one thing. Anyone can be a bust. Picks are busts for one of two reasons. One they just arent that good, two they are put into impossible situations. Tim Couch, Alex Smith, and Jamarcus Russell are examples of being put into bad situations. If your team cant keep a qb upright, has poor skill players or is just a poor organization in general than it doesnt matter how good the talent is. Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf are excellent examples. Manning had future pro bowlers in Tarik Glenn and Marvin Harrison in Indy when he arrived. They drafted Edgerrin James the next year and went from there. Ryan Leaf had Terelle Fletcher a suspect line and Junior Seau. Its fun to joke about how bad Ryan Leaf is, but the reality is that he never had a chance. Peyton Manning would not be half the qb he is today if he went to San Diego.

We have no line here. Santana is great but he isnt someone d coordinators have to game plan around. The defense is good but not dominant. Taking a cue from Parcells you build from the line out. "Franchise qbs" are available everywhere it just takes someone time and patience to find them. The problem is that experts think you can plug a "franchise qb" in and magic happens. It doesnt work that way. A lot of Matt Ryan's first year success was due to Michael Turner and an improved defense. Mark Sanchez is garbage, but he has a great defense and great line play. Clausen or Bradford are not qbs who are going to come in and win no matter what. Clausen couldnt even beat a ranked team in college when he had dominant players. And if he was such a good leader he would have motivated the defense to make some stops. Bradford hasnt operated in a regular offense and is not used to being hit, how do you think he is going to do against the Cowboys. The fact that you say that LT is not a difference maker makes me question your football acumen. Whether you think JC17 is an effective qb or not you have to admit that he or even Todd Collins when he was in the game had time to be an effective qb.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The Parker signing suggests to me that Shanny probably will not pick an RB in this draft. Perhaps he is looking to get through this year with some combo of these 3 vets and look for a young RB later.

Posted by: manlius1 | April 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

So Skins sign WIllie Parker today... HMMM, See Ya CP???

Posted by: Club320 | April 2, 2010 3:26 PM

Um, no.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 2, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

4th will be devastated. No Spiller.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 2, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

beautiful day up here, supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 1:10 PM
===========
if you're in beantown.. you must be in south beantown.. It beautiful up here in NE today but, we're still freezing our as-ses off.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Willie Parker. Uh, ok. I thought Shanahan's thing was making 1000-yard rushers out of nobodys, not retreads.

Posted by: closer44 | April 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

No Spiller and most importantly no Best.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please inform the "insider" that the skins signed Willie Parker.

Posted by: Predator48 | April 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Put up or Shut up to CPo.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

They weren't taking spiller no matter if they signed WP or not...that stuff was foolish from the jump

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Does fas..I mean slo..has Willie Parker return kick offs?

Posted by: TWISI | April 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

No Spiller and most importantly no Best.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. JBest... two major
concussions over the last two years.

Well, if we trade Betts for a 3rd, we can get Toby Gerhart. So we got that going for us.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 2, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

how much will be saved if CP is gone? Alot of one year deals..
Dan is getting to be cheap..

The following from Fantasy SP
Willie Parker signs with 'Skins

Willie Parker has signed a one-year contract with the Washington Redskins, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Our View: Wasn't the arrival of Mike Shanahan in Washington supposed to signal the dawn of a new day? Apparently not. The Redskins have now signed not one, but two washed up running backs this offseason to complement their own washed up running back. It's looking increasingly less likely that the 'Skins will ever be able to compete with the irrational and impatient Daniel Snyder at the helm. Unless he is somehow named a starter, Parker will have no fantasy value in 2010.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Willie_Parker/864864#ixzz0jyPC6deD

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 2, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

If the freaking Cowboys don't want Flozell, why in hell would we go after that "false start" fool. He shouldn't be in this conversation at all. No more ex Cowboys, please! I think Jerry Jones laughs everytime we go after one of his used condoms. Hall can't tackle a lick and Rogers can't catch a cold. But at least Hall is worth a couple of intercepts each year. I say trade Rogers for that ham sandwich and let him drop another team's interceptions. Tired of that dude.

Posted by: jfoster13 | April 2, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Has there been any discussions about going after Donovan McNabb? Seems like he could be a great fit for us... He probably has 5 more years left in him with the right surroundings. What is Philly asking for him?

Posted by: pawendin | April 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Danny Boy. Let's trade that 2nd round pick (#37 overall) for Donovan McNabb. Then trade for Brandon Marshall to compliment our young WR's. Santana Moss can then be utilized as our own Wes Welker. He has the speed for the quick 10 yard slants, especially with the deep threat of Marshall.

The possibilities are limitless.

Posted by: jmounadi | April 2, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Giant smokescreen ... I bet they are taking Dan Lefevor with the 2nd round pick!!

Dude will be the best of bunch!!

Posted by: theclevz | April 2, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

to mention that c.samuels did not bring any superbowls but he went to 6 pro bowls is plain insanity. samuels is not responsible for the stupidity of the washington so-called front office starting with the owner snyder he is the reason washington has not won any superbowls(or games for that matter. draft LT & RT. aikman because he was on super bowl teams and being a "white man was overrated,he was accurate and had good blocking up front, HOF running back on the other hand randall cunningham who had NO blocking up front and NO running game (he was the running game)could do more than aikman or most of the qb's of that era could ever dream of if he was on dallas at that time with the same team he would have 5 super bowls.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 2, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan and Allen are smart. They said there will be competition at every position.

Who said that had to start later? The future of competition is now!

Posted by: KokoMike | April 2, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

There's Reid again, hoping for a "smokescreen" to support his loser argument to keep Clownble on the roster.

Jason Clownble will not be starting on an NFL team ever again, not this year with the Skins nor next year with another NFL team. His career will be finished in two or three years a la Patrick Ramsey.

You heard it here first folks!

(oh, and I predicted the Skins 4-12 finish after starting out 2-2 last year :)

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 3, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Flozell and Hamlin!..Are you serious? There's a reason Jerry got rid of these two. One can't block, or pass protect without tripping, or tackling the teams DE. The other gets BURNED deep when left out there alone with no help. Didn't we do all of our EX-COWBOYS experiments back in the 90's? The only Cowboy that ever did anything for us was Calvin Hill!

Also, if anything draft Okung, and Eric Berry!!! Let Landry play Stong Saftey since he wants to knock players heads off!

Posted by: WARPATH85 | April 3, 2010 4:36 AM | Report abuse

If Hall was so good why did Atlanta trade him to Oakland after a couple of pro bowl years? why did the RAIDERS GIVE HIM A BIG CONTRACT..AND CUT HIM AFTER A FEW MONTHS?
HE GETS BEAT HERE ON A REGULAR BASIS.
How many games did it take say..Champ Baily to defend 9 passes(at the same age)? Hall does catch the ball which Rogers DOES NOT.
How can we have a starting corner with worse hands than a D linemen? Is it the teams fault for not putting Carlos through
rigorous pass catching drills? They should tell Rogers..that he will be fined $10,000
for every drop..and tell the union to stuff it. Maybe that is his way of trying to fix games..like a basket ball player who misses shots? anyone ever think about that?

Posted by: blazerguy234 | April 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:08 PM

_____________________________________

Yup! I agree! The Lions are gonna take Okung at #2 to protect their franchise QB in Stafford. If Bradord is available I say we take him, but I don't agree giving up a lot of picks to move up just to get Bradford. Shanahan is really good with smokescreen, I hope it works out in our favor.

Go Skins

Posted by: datruth21 | April 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:08 PM

_____________________________________

Go Skins

Posted by: datruth21 | April 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 2, 2010 1:08 PM

_____________________________________

Go Skins

Posted by: datruth21 | April 3, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Rogers wouldn't get dragged for 8 yards by Jake Delhomme. Rogers is better than Hall.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse