Shanahan loves draft picks but divulges little about Redskins' plans

In his Monday Morning Quarterback column, Peter King noted that when it comes to draft talk, "Washington's Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are championship smokescreeners or simply uninformative."

Indeed, that's exactly why it's a bit difficult to predict what the Redskins might be planning to do during this week's draft. Today, Allen will meet with reporters, and no doubt duck and dodge direct draft questions.

Shanahan fielded a few draft questions Sunday and offered few hints on the direction the team might take with its first pick - the No. 4 overall selection.

After acquiring quarterback Donovan McNabb in a trade two Sundays ago, many believe the Redskins are poised to take an offensive lineman with the pick. The two top prospects are Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, who's also on Detroit's radar at No. 2, and Oklahoma's Trent Williams.

Still, Shanahan avoided being drawn into discussing either prospect during his post-minicamp press conference, or giving any impression overall of which way the team may be leaning regarding the pick. Shanahan did discuss the process leading up to this weekend's event and the evaluation process the Redskins have used to prepare.

"Well, it's a long process, obviously," Shanahan said. "Take a look at all this film, get the scouts in, college scouts and coaches and it's just a long process of evaluating all these players. You take into consideration the coach's evaluation, the scout's evaluation, we look at a lot of film. There's no easy way to do it, [it's] a lot of hours, a lot of evaluation. You've got the Redskins board that we'll be looking at and that's one of the reasons for this minicamp out here. You've got a minicamp to evaluate our players, players that I haven't had a chance to be around, to address some of your needs if it's through the draft or maybe a trade here and there or possibly free agency as time goes on."

Washington has just four picks in the draft after trading its second-round pick in the McNabb deal and losing its sixth-round pick in the Jason Taylor trade in July 2008. The Redskins also do not have a third-round pick after using the selection to take defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon in the supplemental draft last July.

It's a situation with which Shanahan is not familiar, and he said it'd be rare for the Redskins to trade draft picks in the future.

"I think if you look at my past, I love draft choices, so this is a little bit unusual for me going in without a third or a sixth rounder and making the decision to acquire someone like Donovan," Shanahan said. "That doesn't usually, in the past I haven't done that very many times. Every once in a while you'll throw a draft choice here or there which you feel gives your football team a chance to get better but at the same time you know those draft choices are very important and I guarantee we wont give them away very quickly unless we think it's the best thing for the football team."

The Redskins' lack of selections could change if they trade out of the No. 4 pick or move some veterans who have been rumored to be available via trade - defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, linebacker Rocky McIntosh and quarterback Jason Campbell.

"Obviously there's a game plan there," he said. "Exactly how far do you slide, what do you get in return, there's a number of different scenarios that we'll look at and possibly do. You just really don't know at this time but it's part of your game plan going in, what gives you the best chance to have success long term and it'll be part of the process."

By Paul Tenorio  |  April 19, 2010; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Bruce Allen , Mike Shanahan , NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who will relay Redskins' first-round pick in NFL Draft? Chris Samuels
Next: Orakpo, Fletcher upbeat about Redskins' defensive changes

Comments

This surprises anyone? I thought this was THE reason that Shanahan wanted to work with Bruce Allen.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Love it...finally a FO and HC that knows how to play the game.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 19, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I say or best trading partner would be the buffalo bills who pick a #9.

They move to 4, get Clausen, we move down to 9, draft Williams, and get a pick along the way.

If we package JC with the move, maybe we get a better later round pick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Draft Dodgers!!!!!......Me likes a lot.

Posted by: clark202 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

p1, corky is if anything consistent.

1. defend any and all journalists
2. rip the team
3. blame Bush

its like he's posting from a script...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Bring back beach volley ball and Chris Shenckel announcing bowling. They make more sense than he does.

Posted by: pjente | April 19, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

You reminded of this SNL clip..

"Put a baby blocker in your lady locker"

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 19, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

More like SF to jump ahead of Buffalo. They have no QB play.

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"simply uninformative" isn't that a Robert Palmer song?

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Sween - Williams at #4 seems a stretch...

Seems to me it would be hard to pass on Suh if he is sitting there at #4 too... unless someone blows our doors off with an offer.

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 19, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Who did you vote for?

Is this relevant to anything that has to do with Jason Campbell?

Do your thoughts connect in a logically coherent fashion that makes sense to anyone but yourself?

Posted by: p1funk | April 18, 2010 10:24 PM |
============================

1) Al Gore, John Kerry.

2) Yes, my point is that you are incapable of using reason and history to arrive at common sense conclusions.

You create "your own reality".

3) Quite a few, actually. The majority of voters in the 2006 and 2008 elections, for example.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 18, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

1) So you voted for presidential losers, and that somehow makes you smart and me dumb. Or you vote Democratic party-line, and that makes you smart and people who don't vote the Democratic party-line dumb...Yeah, like I said - real thoughtful and saavy stuff.

2) So my criticism of Jason Campbell is non-sensical based on history and reason? Really? My "reality" is this - Jason Campbell is now a backup QB with little trade value. What is your "reality"?

Whatever, I imagine your saavy and thoughtful response to be something along the lines of - "Do you prefer Whoppers or Big Macs?"

3) Go find some poli-blog to blow your election wad on.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"... Shanahan denied the team was looking to trade any players besides Campbell but said the team would be open to moving down from its slot if the right deal materialized. ..."

Oh no. This second part is worrisome b/c we are in the deep smokescreen mode ... I hope they need to figure out to sprinkle in some truth ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

p1, corky is if anything consistent.

1. defend any and all journalists
2. rip the team
3. blame Bush

its like he's posting from a script...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, he's "consistent" in that definition of insanity kind of way.

I've been asking him for some time to produce one single piece of news that JLa has broken to justify his "Insider" reputation.

But there's none.

Cork just hides out and pops his head out from time-to-time to pathetically beg everyone to stop being so mean to Jason.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

or to pimp an article he wrote, by posting the hyperlink to it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

F Politics=sports false equivalencies...

straight tart, that proves you have a shallow understanding of both....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ummmm... what? The last post didn't give it away?!

Samuels goes to the podium and announces the new Safety?! I don't think so.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

My "reality" is this - Jason breathes thru his mouth. Period.

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

It won't break his heart as much as it breaks yours you sad-sack. We all know you have a hard time swallowing criticism of your boyfriend...

BLAH BLAH BLAH

If you want to shut me up...

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Posted by: p1funk

Sigh. Do I want to shut you up? Funk, put your massive sense of self-importance on the back burner for a sec and, realize I don't give a rodent's rump whether you continue to squawk your little unpaid opinions here or not. But think of me as your reality check. You're just a screen name, Funk, what you do in the privacy of your Mom's basement doesn 't interest me at all. Just please, keep the door locked, that woman has suffered enough.

And spare me your gay humor, Funk. Any shrink will tell you why you resort to it.

But since you spewed in my direction, I shall retort. Here's how shallow your analysis was. First, I 'm not defending "JLC", I'm speaking up against Shadenfreud obsessed, unpaid, small time cheap shot artists who have achieved nothing in a field where a professional has enjoyed enormous success.

See, JLC worked for the Washington Post for years dealing with one of the toughest beats in sports, covering the Redskins, and their all but sworn vendetta against the WaPo.

From there, he was promoted to an expert and inside reporter for one of the most highly regarded insider programs in sports, Total Access on NFL network.

I don't have to defend JLC, his resume does that.

And small time, jealous, petty little basement-living critics like yourself can whine and cry and bellow all they want (It's a free country, which, ironically is what you're paid to do so.)

Meanwhile, JLC and others get paid to work in a business about which you are totally clueless, in an economy that drives out all but the most successful, and pull home a handsome paycheck while doing so.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the country that once civil discourse has come to this, but then, whattaya gonna do? Was a time when people like us would exchange views at a bar, buy each other rounds, shake hands and part friends. Can't do it in the hate-filled confines of the internet. Society's loss.

I just ask that you please don't call me a "sad-sack" again. It sooooooooo hurts my feelings.

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Come on draft days. Let's get some conjecture out of the way, and deal with some relevant facts.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I think the Samuels presence is a strong indication that we are taking a LT with our first pick.

Now the question is whether that will be at #4 or at a later slot in a trade-down scenario.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

But there's none.
Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 10:53 AM

Well, there was the whole "Skins offering 2 first rounders to cincy for Ocho-Cinco" thing….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 19, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Samuels goes to the podium and announces the new Safety?! I don't think so.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 10:56 AM

Here's another one who just got fooled by the smokescreen. Don't be a dik!

Samuels is an intern. He's the easiest guy to spare so the brain trust in Ashburn can blow smoke.

Posted by: League-Source | April 19, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey Cork, I scanned your post.

I was hoping you were going to provide one example of "insider" news broken by JLa, but you didnt.

I saw that the thrust of your post was some self-important rant about journalistic integrity. Go give that speech to the mirror and you'll find a ready audience.

...Still waiting for that one single solitary example of news broken by JLa to justify the "Insider" label on any level...

Still waiting...

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If someone's already said this, apologies.

But the great thing about having Samuels deliver the "pick card" to the NFL, is if it isn't an offensive lineman, he can just cross off the selection, and write in an Olineman who impresses him. And who's gonna stop him?

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely giddy, I can't wait to see what happens Thursday. It's so foreign to have real professionals - with a vision - in charge.

In Shanny I Trust

Posted by: shanks1 | April 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think a key thing to remember about our lack of draft picks is that the Jarmon 3rd round supplemental really should be considered a "plus" on this years draft. Young talented DL has been a need for like a decade and if he had come out this year he might have been a 2nd round grade, certainly no lower than third. He also got some valuable exp and performed well pre-injury.

So I really view our third rounder this year = good pick. Actually one of the better moves Vinny made in his reign of error.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen = Oceans 13 draft day fake out with Chris Samuels

Could that mean QB?

Oh god I hope not

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

p1, corky is if anything consistent.

1. defend any and all journalists
2. rip the team
3. blame Bush

its like he's posting from a script...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM

My script is close, but differs a little:

1. hate the journalist, love the journalism. First Amendment free speech rocks
2. rip The Owner, love the roster
3. blame Fox "News" (except for the sports news)

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Excellent point Funk. Bringing up the topic of integrity with you is like discussing Quantum Physics with a Howler Monkey.

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

F continuing the JLA debates. You all sound like morons at this point. Move the F on already. Cork sounds like a fanboy and p1 sounds like a scorned girlfriend. He obviously is valued by people who make a living hiring reporters, and he obviously let some personal fueds effect his coverage of Skins.

RI posters need some Tim Gunn advice every once in awhile "Edit people, less is more!"

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:06 AM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 10:59 AM

Hey Cork, I scanned your post.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:04 AM

I score that round for TheCork:

Cork 1
p1funk 0

Posted by: League-Source | April 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"More like SF to jump ahead of Buffalo. They have no QB play."

Very interesting point, right there.

The Niners have Gore, Crabtree, Davis, okay defense, and are in a division--the NFC West--that's ripe for the taking.

But could a rookie quarterback help them as much as Alex Smith?

Don't think so.

Again: the bills are our best trading partner as we could still snag Williams at pick 9, and get an additional pick later on.

And if we pair J Campbell with that trade down move, we might wind up with a solid late round 4th or 5th round pick.

The buffalo bills are our best trading partner, plain and simple.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Cork sounds like a fanboy

Posted by: chrislarry

I've been ripped by Chrislarry? Where, God, did I go wrong?

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Bruce Allen = Oceans 13 draft day fake out with Chris Samuels

Could that mean QB?

Oh god I hope not

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why we need to pull any fake-outs at the #4 slot.

We got McNabb. That kind of showed our hand regarding the whole draft-a-QB-at-#4 situation.

Everyone knows we need a tackle.

If someone wants to trade up for our slot to grab a player they really really like, they are free to make an offer.

Seems like a pretty cut-n-dry situation for us that doesn't require smokescreening.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Playing it lax, unfettered and unhurried. Makes perfect sense going into the frenzy of the draft. Particularly when you need more picks and have players to trade. I hope they plan on, and manage to trade as many as possible to get picks this year and next. I see Cooley as a another possibility because he is just an "extra" that is more a luxury than necessity at this point.

Posted by: periculum | April 19, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"I'm cool with this perspective, but the jury is still out on Jarmon. how does he fit in the 3-4? willing to be patient and see what happens.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

Agreed Moodly, but wont that be the case for all draft picks? That is my point. Jury way out on Jarmon but signs are positive I would say.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

...still waiting...

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

p1, corky is if anything consistent.

1. defend any and all journalists
2. rip the team
3. blame Bush

its like he's posting from a script...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM

My script is close, but differs a little:

1. hate the journalist, love the journalism. First Amendment free speech rocks
2. rip The Owner, love the roster
3. blame Fox "News" (except for the sports news)

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I would say I also have a similar script, but oddly enough my 1 is the oposit of Sween.

1. Hate lazy journalism, but never attack a journalist personally.
2. Love the team, never understand the moves.
3. Blame everyone unless they are not in the 2 parties. And Socialism is F###ing sweet!.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 19, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Jarmon was a good use of this year's third round pick. Skins have a Daniels-in-the-making DE (3-4 ready) with a year under his belt (albiet with some stitches in his knee).

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:14 AM

as you're saying, DL in the third might have made sense this year anyway... *if* he fits in our 3-4 hybrid rotation.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Campbell seems likely to be back with this team. In spite of Casserly's stupidity (it continues) paying the guy 3 million to back up McNabb is probably worth it given McNabb's recent spate of injuries. It would give Campbell and Shanahan a year to get comfortable with each other. With Shanahan in complete control.

Posted by: periculum | April 19, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Not "a" dik - THE Amazing Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE!

So you DO expect him to announce another position? or you don't expect him to announce...?

I'll admit I didn't see them picking McNubbin (though I did bring up the possibility a bit before they pulled the trigger).

Oh & THANKS CynCiddy for re-affirming my contention w/ a Casserly nod. I like that company

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 19, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I've been ripped by Chrislarry? Where, God, did I go wrong?

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:13 AM

miSuSe of ApPropriAtE caPITal lEtteRIng.

Also, love the vegetables, hate the vegetarian.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

We keep hearing about how the coaches plan to use guys in the new 3-4, but has anyone heard how they see Jarmon fitting in?

He seems a bit light to play 3-4 DE and a bit heavy to play OLB.

Maybe we only see him in the 4-man fronts?

Seems like he's gonna be a nice player, but given the transformation of the team from last year to this year, I'd like to return Jarmon for that 3rd round pick...

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1) Don't care about the journalism, only the comments.

2) Love the team but will rip it at my dicression.

3) Blame all politicians for everthing.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 19, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If the Skins draft Suh, they will have a heck of a lot of DE's. He's not a prototypical NT.

There is such a thing as Best Available Player, but does that extend to someone who doesn't fit your scheme?

Posted by: dpc2003 | April 19, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Also, love the vegetables, hate the vegetarian.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:21 AM

what's wrong w/ vegetarians?
}:o

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 19, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

p1, corky is if anything consistent.

1. defend any and all journalists
2. rip the team
3. blame Bush

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM

1. Geraldo Rivera and Maury Povich are scum.
2. Shanahan is a nice upgrade from Zorn.Allen's a huge upgrade from Vinny. I think Fletcher is a class act.
3. Bush did um, that is he... Okay, you got me,. But two out of three ain't bad, huh?

Consistent my arse, you fumet-faced Gardyloo.

Thanks for making my day, fellas, and as Martin Short would say, "thanks for caring."

This stuff is frickin' addictive, but please, I have a life and work to do. catch you all later. Meanwhile the Vitriol lamp is lit!

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree Buffalo trade makes sense but can't we play 9ers off them? I saw Smith play last year and it is not good

Posted by: ElYeah | April 19, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Jaysis...get a room already...

I gotta say my dream scenario is to trade AH for Picks, draft Suh at 4 and two tackles and a guard with the recouped picks in first three rounds.

Like I said, a dream, but I love Suh as a player and a dude. Graduate, played full college career, smart kid, big motor, priorities straight.....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the Jarmon pick, pointing out that there was an unforeseen switch to a 3 - 4 only serves to identify why the supplemental is risky. You're using - again - future draft picks, not current ones.

Now we're trying to convert 275 lb Jarmon to a LB? He's fast for DL and I'd love to see it work but this of course is not ideal.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 19, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | April 19, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Yup.

Like I predicted.

Another brief appearance to polish JLA's knob without actually providing a legit example of JLA's insider reporting.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

P1, what about the whole "Skins offering 2 first rounders to cincy for Ocho-Cinco" thing….

JLC called that one, and nobody wanted to believe it, but he was right about that……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 19, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Jarmon's got to be an end. He will need to beef up some to play it in the 3-4 but he wasn't brought to rush the passer like Orakpo. He's a Daniels-type player and that means end.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love the "I have a life" additive when you've ran out of "clever" things to say.

Shout outs to all the wanna be fake ass journalist crusaders in all the land.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I see Jarmon working out regardless of position, I just get a good feeling about him. He could be the equivalent of a Orakpo minor, and having 2 guys like that who we can line up at End and OLB on either side any time could be something cool to see a aggressive coordinator play with.

I feel like if Jimmy Spit Bubbles and Tubby had not shut him down all last season with a gold shirting we would know more of what he can do.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 19, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I am still not convinced that Jarmon can't play DE in the 3/4 and haven't seen where Skins have said he is in the LB convert list like Carter/Lo Alex, wilson and Orakpo...

def a thing to watch offseason/camp

Posted by: chrislarry | April 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Question:

Does anyone know if Pete Carroll likes Jimmy Clausen?

Because if he does, then that may be the best thing going for us to generate an opportunity for some team (Buffalo, 49ers) to trade up to grab him at #4.

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I do think they are getting out of the 4th overall pick and deal with the broncos wit the 12 th overeall pick cuz they need a wr and dez bryant is the best in the draft since they lost marshall . And the skins might get .lt bruce cambell..and trade cambell to either the radiers or bills for a 3rd or 4th pick..

Posted by: truko213 | April 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Pete Carroll likes Jimmy Clausen?

Posted by: p1funk | April 19, 2010 11:42 AM

My guess would be that Pete Carroll would be going to undrafted free agency to pick up whichever one of the four QBs who backed up Sanchez is out there. Under Carroll, USC was very deep at every skill position. That said, beep beep.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Shanny the guy who drafted Maurice Clarett? I'm very afraid!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | April 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Secrecy is the name of their game. They're not gonna tell anyone what their game plan is.

Unlike when Vinny the rat was here, he'll spell it out to the whole nation who they want! LOL Im glad he's gone.

It's nice to watch the war room for the Skins for once in a loooooong time with smart competent peeps facilitating and little Danny Boy staying away and just sticking to writing checks

Posted by: datruth21 | April 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I say or best trading partner would be the buffalo bills who pick a #9.

If we package JC with the move, maybe we get a better later round pick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 19, 2010 10:36 AM

Buffalo is okay, but my preference is Cleveland. They can move from #7 to #4 and take either Clausen or Berry. By moving to #7 instead of Buffalo's #9 it leaves less time and space for someone else to get Williams. I think Cleveland is also a more willing partner because they have a lot of extra picks to burn. If we trade from 4 to 7, we can take two of their three 3rd rounders and be almost even with the value chart. Two third rounders could land us a RT and a RB or FS or BPA.

Posted by: midniterc | April 19, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow!!! What great Wa Po pictures that encapsulates the Deadskins off-season - 4 over-the-hill--over-rated-malcontents. Nice work Little Danny Boy - keep 'em comin'. Hopefully the big blonde will be duly impressed.

Posted by: billm32 | April 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"In his Monday Morning Quarterback column, Peter King noted"............. Does this guy ever do any reporting of his own? Or just tell us what someone else already wrote? I don't get it. What's so "Insider" about that?

Posted by: BenThere | April 19, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't Shanny the guy who drafted Maurice Clarett? I'm very afraid!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | April 19, 2010 12:00 PM"

Yup, and I can understand your nervousness.

However, it was the 2005 Draft, last pick, 3rd round (101 overall), believe [I'd have to really go look for this part] it was a supplimental pick for a lost free agent.

House money as it were...not a pick it really hurts to gamble with.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | April 19, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, the idea of Samuels as a smokescreen to hide the "true intentions" of drafting a QB seems incredibly frightening.

However, the fact that everybody's guessing seems like a good sign to me. I'll bet the Skins are baiting the hook. A swap of #4 -- with JC to sweeten the pot -- to the Bills for their #9 and some other picks might be attractive to them.

This should be an exciting week.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | April 19, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

if Eric Berry dr.ps to 4th pick would the jags be interested in trading up from 10 to 4 to pick him and if so what would the skins ask for 1st 3rd and 5th picks and if so is that gonna be acceptable for them then the question becomes is williams or okung gonna be there at 10 since the chiefs need a left tackle at 5 and the seahawks need a tackle at 6 can they be passed from both of them.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | April 20, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse