With Redskins trades possibly looming, Draft week figures to be a wild one

For those scoring at home, it now appears that, during next week's NFL Draft, the Redskins might trade at least three core players from last season's team: Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, former starting quarterback Jason Campbell and starting weak-side linebacker Rocky McIntosh.

Haynesworth, Campbell and McIntosh were not in attendance Friday at Redskins Park as the Redskins began their first three-day minicamp under Coach Mike Shanahan. Haynesworth only plans to participate in the mandatory minicamp June 16-18, according to people in the organization who are familiar with his situation. He'll skip all but three days of Shanahan's first offseason program.

Campbell's agent informed the Redskins the five-year veteran would participate in the remainder of the program, two people familiar with those discussions said, including the voluntary minicamp May 7-9 and the voluntary OTAs, if Campbell remains on the roster after the draft. As for McIntosh, he intimated earlier today that he expects the Redskins to trade him soon.

We've been hearing for some time that the Redskins planned to be very active during the draft, and things certainly appear to be lining up for them to make several major moves. Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen quickly set out to make-over the roster and change the culture of an organization that has mostly experienced failure during owner Daniel Snyder's 11-year tenure.

It seems that the surprising trade for quarterback Donovan McNabbwill not be the Redskins' last big deal of the offseason. The Redskins currently hold the fourth overall selection and also have picks in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds.

It will be interesting to see how many more picks (and in which rounds) Allen accumulates if he is successful in receiving the compensation the Redskins are believed to be seeking for Haynesworth, Campbell and McIntosh. It certainly appears that Redskins fans should brace for a wild ride next weekend.

By Jason Reid  |  April 16, 2010; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McIntosh skips Redskins' minicamp, hints at possibility of trade
Next: Sean Taylor's locker to go on display at FedEx Field

Comments

"It certainly appears that Redskins fans should brace for a wild ride next weekend."

I'm pretty sure I've been on this ride before, and I didn't care much for it.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we WILL end up watching Friday Night's draft coverage.

Posted by: TheCork | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinzVA73 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Gonna do it.
I hope the skins trade back their FIRST pick to Seattle for their two FIRST picks!

Posted by: alex35332 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Real insider stuff again! Keep it up, JR.

Posted by: League-Source | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to all three. We were 4-12 with them last year, and even with AH's immense part time talent, I'd rather play with guys who are fully committed.

Posted by: davidmistretta1 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Trade the FIRST rounder for two later FIRST rounders.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Jason has a mole deep inside the Redskins organization if he can get stuff like this!

Posted by: League-Source | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Woo! I'm excited! Can't wait for the draft!

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Lunchtime malaise on a Friday?

Posted by: Zeebs | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

To me, this is part of the issue with Shanahan running everything. He's a brilliant coach and I wish that was his only job.

But he's got to try to get people into camp while concurrently trying to resolve contracts and looking at trades and draft options.

Lots of people have had coach/GM roles. Few have done both jobs well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Carter may be traded too.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

1st?

Posted by: skinfanman | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

don't tread on me

I eat pieces of cassava leaves like you for breakfast!

I cook my eggs in palm oil, beware or I'll 'Castor Troy' YOU, I'd rearrange yo facesk, but the bullets do that for YOU.

4real tho: cassava leaves > collard greens (Book IT)

Ziya-po, my fren'

Posted by: Vicc | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm slowly starting to believe our defense is going to suck if we don't bring back the starters from last year. I had high hopes for the defense just being left as is, but if the Redskins trade away AH, RM, CR, LL, and AC (or a combination of some of them) this defense will struggle.

Kind of like Shanahan's defenses did in Denver.

Trading RM will be a classic case of "don't know what you have until it's gone".

This defense is good right now. Shanahan doesn't need to rebuild it. Leave it alone, and worry about fixing the offense.

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wtf happened on the last thread?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I would not be surprised now if Haynesworth gets traded but Campbell does not. I think the Skins will not let Campbell go for less than a 4th round pick in this years draft. If no ones wants to give up a decent pick I think Shanny has no problem with JC remaining on team as backup. I don't think he has any problems with him other than he prefers him as a backup not a starter. Haynesworth on the other hand I think Shanny wants out the door sooner rather than later. And while I think the deal we gave him is crazy he does have a lot of value at his current contract (next 3 years at 5 mil a year). Shanny is trying to set a tone and AH saying he will only come to mandatory events and does not want to play where the coaches need him to play (NT) only gives more of an excuse for Shanny to make an example out of AH.

Posted by: B2WIN | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ted Ginn to the 49ers for a late round pick....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to all three...we were 4-12 with them last year so I really wonder how "core" they really are.

Posted by: davidmistretta1 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

trade the #4 to the eagles for their #24 and #37. well get our second rounder back and this will allow us to draft Charles Brown and Pouncey...then possibly package haynesworth and portis to the lions for a 1 and 3.. any thoughts?

Posted by: zorn_sucks | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

moo

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B2WIN | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinzVA73 | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the prime position for drafting, the Skins in the first round would be from 7-10. They need to get there somehow. No need to pick at #4. They will still get a very good talent at a position of need, which right now looks on the OL, DL, OLB, and S.

Posted by: TWISI | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for the wild ride!

Posted by: mmck | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Clak Clak Clak Clak Clak as the roller coaster got closer to the top of the first big hill...

Posted by: edvar | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Clak Clak Clak Clak Clak went the roller coaster as it got closer to the top of the first big hill...

Posted by: edvar | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I say we bring in the guy at the top of this page who has "100 Trades, 92 Wins"....

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 16, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zorn_sucks | April 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Just what evidence is any of this based on? Sources? Attributed quotes? This whole article reads to me like pure speculation by the self-proclaimed "Mayor." Why should I trust his opinion about the impending "wild rise" of draft-weekend trades?

Is it asking too much to get some responsible journalism out of the Washington Post sports page?

Posted by: eyestreet | April 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

NFL Network just reporting:

Browns have contacted the Rams about the #1 pick.

-ALSO_

Dolphins trade Ted Ginn Jr. to 49's for undisclosed 2010 draft pick.

LET'S GET IT STARTED! WHO WANTS OUR #4???

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Glad to get rid of these guys - Campbell excluded. I am sick of going to games and watching guys like McIntosh and Haynesworth mail it in week after week.

Thank you Allen and Shanahan for cleaning house - it was long overdue!!

Posted by: RG10 | April 16, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

NFL Network just reporting:

Browns have contacted the Rams about the #1 pick.

-ALSO_

Dolphins trade Ted Ginn Jr. to 49's for undisclosed 2010 draft pick.

LET'S GET IT STARTED! WHO WANTS OUR #4???

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zorn_sucks | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I actually thought about that also when I read the Eagles wanted to move up for Berry. 2 problems. There is no need for them to go all the way up to 4 to get him and I think the Eagles would have to give up a lot more than those 2 picks on the value board to get to the #4 pick.

Posted by: BugEyes | April 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

On a positive note, at least Peter Angelos doesn't own the Redskins.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zorn_sucks

No way in hell can we get 1st and 3rd for haynesworth and portis. I only see us getting a 2nd rounder for Haynesworth

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 16, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Casserly projects that 4 Offensive Tackles will go in the top 10....uh oh!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Trade the FIRST rounder for two later FIRST rounders.

Posted by: alex35332 |

I really like your thinking here. We have so many needs and so few picks. Not to mention the cost of signing the #4 vs a late 1st rounder is night and day. Just ask Chris Johnson.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 16, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Lots of people have had coach/GM roles. Few have done both jobs well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I think you are missing a key point. Bruce Allen is the GM of this team. In many ways the Skins have created a hybrid Front Office and I think we have the right people to make it work.

Yes, Shanahan is making the actual calls on talent and roster, but Allen is playing a significant role in how we acquire the players that the coach wants.

I can tell you, as I have lived in Denver for 11 years, that Shanahan really got fast and loose with the way he was building rosters towards the end of his reign with the Broncos. Pat Bowlen gave him COMPLETE autonomy over everything, and basically checked himself out of the equation, and Shanahan ran wild.

I truly believe Bruce Allen is the one making the deals and working the phones once Shanahan tells him what he needs.

What I'm trying to say is that this is not your typical Coach controlling everything deal, and I actually think Danny may have stumbled into a winning equation. Allen is a master FO guy, and Shanahan, as you mentioned is a great coach. Remember, he is nicknamed "The Mastermind" for a reason.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of "clack", will the NFL do another under armor commercial this year during the draft?

CLICK CLACK!

I so got nothing....

Posted by: RedDMV | April 16, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Real insider stuff again! Keep it up, JR.

Posted by: League-Source

I completely agree. These are the types of articles I'm hoping to read. Cosign - Keep it up JReid.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 16, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it something in the water up north that makes Philly fans so obnoxious?

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 16, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words: At most, we'll get a 2nd rounder for Haynesworth. No way is someone going to give up their #1 unless he's in a packaged deal with a significant other player. Like Cooley, for instance.

Personally, I love Captain Chaos, but let's be honest here, we have so many needs and two really good TE's are a luxury we can't afford to have right now.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 16, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty |

I've seen little evidence that Bruce Allen has any power inside the operation. Make that zero evidence.

Truth is that neither of us know, but the sense I've gotten is that Allen has very little power.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

CAMPBELL'S PARTING GIFTS AND ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM

Dateline: Washington, D.C.

With next week's NFL draft fast approaching, word has come out that Donovan McNabb has agreed to provide Jason Campbell several cases of Campbell's Chunky Soup as a parting gift from the Redskins.

"It's the least I can do for such a nice guy. He had it rough last year trying to find time to read defenses and he needs to have something to remember me by," noted Donovan McNabb, the new starting quarterback for the Washington Redskins.

Over at Rocky's place, Vinnie Cerrato, deposed mastermind of the decade of Redskin Winning Offseasons, sent Rocky McIntosh a case of Rocky Road Ice Cream to remember his time with the Redskins. Cerrato was asked to elaborate but he had no additional comment.

Carlos Rogers was given a Tiffany Crystal Bowl for his parting gift and dropped it.

Posted by: laserwizard | April 16, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting point made a while back by Peter King.

We gave up the #37 overall pick -- and its more valuable this year for 2 reasons. One is the depth of the draft class. The other is that there is a break overnight between rounds 1 & 2, meaning there is more time to make trades. That is the 5th pick of day 2, and there will be lots of overnight jockeying, depending on who is and isn't gone after round 1.

The same logic applies to round 4 -- we have the 4th pick of the day. Because of this unique position, we may have the ability to get considerable value for this pick.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

let's get some picks and unload Jaybert McHaynesbell

Posted by: pgugino | April 16, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE TO JC17

If I’m JC17’s agent, I’m telling my client to get your “big girl’s panties on” and report to camp post haste. Facts are thus:

1. The Redskins front office, in their “infinite wisdom” and generosity, have offered to pay you $3.7 million for roughly 8 or 9 months worth of “work” – and that payment is pretty much guaranteed provided that you either make the roster, get injured, or even get traded to another team. And it doesn’t matter if you start, if you back up, if you play for the scout team, or if you serve drinks and swap lies with the season ticket holders about your “glory daze” in college.

2. In as much as you might prefer to be a starter, you must and will reconcile yourself to the fact that you have been replaced by a better player. However, even considering how good DM5 may be, he is neither perfect nor immortal – and like it or not, you can be assured that he will go down at some point this season to injury or performance concerns -- so you will have a chance to play here again. Now what you do with this opportunity is up to you.

3. What’s more – DM5 is 33 vice your 28. He has at best 5 years of playing time left in him, and more likely, something less than that. Meanwhile, you could conceivably play another 10 or 12 years if you keep yourself healthy – and if you play your cards right, you could bide your time and might even become the answer to the question of who will replace DM5 when his playing days are done.

4. If you can’t beat RG8 and CB15 out for a back up position, you really don’t deserve to be in the league any more. And the team just isn’t going to be able to draft a college prospect who is going to be ready to play this season.

5. Under new front office, the team deals with players and get rid of malcontents. Just ask Coach… or AH92, CR22, RM52, CP26. Team also rewards performers and gets rid of dead weight. Just ask those who have already been released. Or would you care to join them?

Posted by: Vic1 | April 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

_______________________________________________________________

A) That's not enough for the No. 4 pick. Throw in their next two or three picks, or a legitimate starting player, and maybe you have a deal. Trading #4 for #24 and #37 is a Cerrato-esque "deal."

B) The Lions wouldn't even bother to laugh before hanging up the phone on that trade. They wouldn't give up a first-rounder alone for those two players, let alone a first-rounder and a third-rounder. Portis missed half the season because of concussion and is viewed as a me-first guy with a lot of miles on him — not good at a position where skills decline rapidly — and Haynesworth is an overweight malcontent who seemingly plays his best when in a contract year. After cashing Little Danny's fat bonus check last month, why would any team be inspired to believe he will play hard this year? His attitude now certainly doesn't suggest that's possible. They'll take Suh or McCoy and be thrilled.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I still think the rams and bills will be our primary trade partners for draft picks and player trades for obvious reasons. JC17 AH and rocky can fill some holes on there rosters. It's plain to see.

Posted by: sthai75 | April 16, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

rb, I read that, and thats just absolutely repulsive. I got 2 daughters, someone purposely PUKES on one of them, and you'd better be killing me, cuz no way I'm letting that cat live...guy was a cop too...hopefully after they took his mug shot, they handcuffed him and tossed him down a flight of stairs...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

____
Good get rid of them all... Get draft picks though wouldn't mind a trade to Balimore for Gaither at LT. If Shanahan doesn't like Colt he needs to think about drafting Clausen.. Because way it looks not sure if McNabb will be here after this year..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently Carter may be traded too."

Talk about blowin' up a roster.

And this is why we wonder about the assessment from the National media: they seem to think we will be the same sorry ol' redskins.

They mock our attempts to improve.

Which is why it'll be so much better when we do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm missing the point here. If a mini camp is optional then why get mad if someone doesn't show up. Why not just make them mandatory. Stop playing games with this optional crap when you really mean mandatory or if you want to penalize someone for not attending. MAKE THEM MANDATORY

Posted by: hartmike20032004 | April 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

jason campbell, carlos rogers, rocky mcIntosh

3 players that we drafted and developed
3 that have performed, contributed, and remained dignified there whole careers
3 men of character that played on a Gibbs roster

it's a business and there is a new coach, I understand, but Shanny hasn't won me over yet

look at how mcDaniels is treating Shanny's old guys, like prima donna locker room "cancers"

cutler and marshall are just as bad as Haynesworth and Portis

so far this is the same BS, get off your horse mgmt

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

GET RID OF ALL OF THESE BUMS

campbell is not a bum, he seems like a stand up guy, hope he makes it somewhere else

BUT THE REST MUST GO

GET LOST GET SOME PICKS, CONVERT THE PICKS INTO BETTER PLAYERS

GO SKINS

Posted by: ecartola | April 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If we could trade back a few spots and pick up Trent Williams (who we may take over Okung anyway) and pick up a new 2nd rounder, that would be sweet.

Plus another 2nd rounder for Haynesworth.

A 3rd rounder for McIntosh.

A 4th rounder for Campbell.

I think that would be swell.

Posted by: lordtwang | April 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 16, 2010 2:21 PM

Allen is a cap guy. Shanahan has final say on personnel matters so I dont know why you would think otherwise. Allen's job is essentially saying we can afford this guy or we cant. Allen slowly turned the championship team that McKay and Dungy built into a joke.

This is your typical coach/GM situation. It does not work, you think Danny would have got a GM who knows something about personnel. The FO may very well change things around here but based on their previous experience in their current roles we shouldnt be thinking anything special is going to happen here. This is Shanahan's show, Allen is merely a figurehead.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think we are on the same page. I agree it's the coach setting the roster. What I am saying, is that Allen is going to be the one keeping an eye on the money and I believe that he is in place to make sure that deals are done responsibly.

I think even Shanahn would admit that the contracts etc. were not his strong suit. He spent money like a drunk sailor on leave in Denver at times, and Allen is going to make sure that does not happen here.

What a challenge that must be with Snyder at the helm eh?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 16, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hartmike20032004 | April 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately there is something call the CBA that you can't just make them MANDATORY.. Teams have guidelines to follow and can Only have so many Mandatory camps.

Posted by: BugEyes | April 16, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

people crying about Rocky's knee are crybaby BSers

4 years, 62 games, 46 starts, 296 tackles, 5 sacks, 14 pass defensed, 3 ints, 7 forced fumbles

if he did that with a bum knee, then he must have a superb heart

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Is it something in the water up north that makes Philly fans so obnoxious?

Posted by: rbpalmer

LMAO!

Looking at the idiot's picture, it look like pops stole dude in the eye.

bean, agreed. Spitting on someone, let alone someones daughter is grounds for an ass whopping, vomiting is grounds for me to beat you from within an inch of your life...

I don't know what planet some of these fanatics live on. But they obviously are detached from the real world.

Posted by: RedDMV | April 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"On a positive note, at least Peter Angelos doesn't own the Redskins."

___________________________________________________

Angelos is awful, but he might be better than Little Danny. At least DEVILos ... er, Angelos ... hired Andy McPhail, who is stockpiling young talent. Little Danny has brought in a coach who rode a Hall of Fame QB to the Super Bowl, is collecting RBs full of question marks (Portis's attitude and concussions, Johnson's attitude and lack of talent, Parker's durability) and traded for an older QB entering the last year of his contract without negotiating an extension first. And, for good measure, he lobbed Fort Knox at a defensive tackle who doesn't want to be here and might bring back what, a third-round pick in return? If McNabb breaks down physically or walks at the end of the year, this offseason will have been an abject disaster.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

pabrian....

This team was 4-12! Very few players on this team are not expendable. Carlos Rogers and JC are inconsistent and perhaps McIntosh may not fit the scheme.

Every new coach has the right to evaluate his team and replace players that will fit his scheme.

For me...as long as Orakpo, Davis, and Thomas are still on the team...I'm good!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it something in the water up north that makes Philly fans so obnoxious?

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 16, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Stay Classy Philadelphia! Stay Classy..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Stay Classy Philadelphia! Stay Classy..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

You know they wont.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

carlos rogers

5 years, 66 games, 46 starts, 245 tackles (the real job of a corner), 61 pass defensed (the real job of a corner), 6 ints, 3 FFs

I made a note of what the real job of a corner is for you novice fans that only understand INTs and TDs

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Talk about blowin' up a roster."

But what I don't get is that they seem to be utterly intent on blowing up the wrong part. This has been a top 10 defense for years. And it wasn't always turnover-resistant, as exhibited by Gregg Williams' defenses, particularly in Gibbs' last season (though it obviously helped to have Sean Taylor back there).

So far we've seen these names involved in trade discussions:

Hanyesworth
Carter
Rogers
Landry
McIntosh

That's 5 of your 11 starters. Griffin was also cut. Do they really think 5 mid-round draft picks are going to be able to replace the impact those 5 players had on this defense?

Shanahan better be one hell of drafter if he thinks this defense will operate better without those guys.

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Stay Classy Philadelphia! Stay Classy..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 16, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

You know they wont.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

My daughter is 4...I probably would not have beat his azz cause then my daughter would be by herself, but if I was someone...I would have lost it.

Dude's a police captain...I woulda called my boys and done what they do when they wanna beat someone but don't want it to get out.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

red, no kidding, I mean, what goes through your mind to do that to another human being...let alone a young girl sitting with her dad....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 16, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mac is not playing this right....he will be the loser here.

Posted by: chrislarry | April 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Giving up AH for anything short of a 1st rounder is foolish. By the way, nobody is giving up a 1st rounder. The Skins paid this guy 30+ million for 12 games and he's gone? That would be the worst business decision in Snyder's tenure and I can't see it happening.

Also, if a team dangles a 4th for JC, he's gone, but I don't see anyone offering a 3rd for Rocky. He's a solid WLB with creaky knees. If someone offers them a 5th, that'll be good enough.

Posted by: rich20ssu | April 16, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

""Campbell's agent informed the Redskins the five-year veteran would participate in the remainder of the program, two people familiar with those discussions said, including the voluntary minicamp May 7-9 and the voluntary OTAs, if Campbell remains on the roster after the draft.""

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
soooooooooooo, they guy has a play book and plays to show up for the minicamp after the draft... sounds like he will be prepared to return to the team if the skins cannot get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | April 16, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu

Sad fact - he's only going to go for 2nd.

Posted by: XCountryTrevor | April 16, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

pabrian....

For me...as long as Orakpo, Davis, and Thomas are still on the team...I'm good!

Posted by: rickyroge

I hear you but the players don't need to be dogged and criticised.

How are Campbell and Rogers any less consistent than any other player??

the offensive scheme was inconsistent

Rogers has been our best or 2nd best CB from his second year until present, how is that inconsistent?

Springs was inconsistent yet awesome when healthy.

Hall made some horrible plays and missed some coverages, as did 95% of every corner to ever play.

the media and the record has clouded the vision of what happens on the field, IMO

rogers covers, tackles, does run support, and he's done it consistently his whole career

Campbell has consistently gotten better each year

coach can do whatever he wants, but let's not pretend these players haven't done their job and that shanny has tremendous character value (cutler, Marshall got shipped out due to character)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | April 16, 2010 2:52 PM

Every player this new regime brings in is not going to be a pro bowler so you dont get rid of key contributors, especially when they are cheap. CR,RM and AH are all moderately priced contributors. McIntosh can be upset, as long he is here once training camp starts who cares. Just because they pick up a third or fourth rounder doesnt mean they will do anything positive for the team. See Chad Rinehart. I understand Shanahan inherited a bad situation but trading everyone for some mid round draft picks is not the answer.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

That's what they need: lots more draft picks. There's your offensive line. With 1 or 2 to spare for next year.

Posted by: periculum | April 16, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The Skins were 4-12 last year people. Not one player on the team is irreplaceable. Trade players other teams need and get picks so that "real" football people can draft areas of need. Still it's a 3 year turnaround in my opinion.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 16, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

NFL Draft Dream scenario:

1. Seattle trades their 6th and 14th to move up to 4th to grab.

2. Lions trade their 2nd Rd pick for Fat Al Bast-urd Haynesworth

3. 3rd pick for Mcintosh Trade

4. 4th Rd pick for Campbell Trade

5. Portis & Landry for late 2nd and 4th Rd pick

which gives the Skins

2 1st Rd, 2 2nd Rd, 1 3rd, 2 4th Rd picks, 1 5th Rd, 1 7th Rd = 9 picks

One can dream...... sigh

Posted by: datruth21 | April 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

What a challenge that must be with Snyder at the helm eh?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty

As best as I can tell, this is all Shanahan's team, its up to him if he wants to listen to others.

In practice, even Snyder needs Shanahan more than Shanahan needs Snyder. Shanny's got his $$ locked in. Snyder is having trouble selling tix -- Shanahan is his solution.

This is Mike Shanahan's team. Top to bottom.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

They may not get a 1st this year for Haynesworth, but I bet they can wrangle one for next year.

Posted by: periculum | April 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"I understand Shanahan inherited a bad situation but trading everyone for some mid round draft picks is not the answer."

Exactly.

Posted by: psps23 | April 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

NFL Draft Dream scenario:

1. Seattle trades their 6th and 14th to move up to 4th to grab.

2. Lions trade their 2nd Rd pick for Fat Al Bast-urd Haynesworth

3. 3rd pick for Mcintosh Trade

4. 4th Rd pick for Campbell Trade

5. Portis & Landry for late 2nd and 4th Rd pick

which gives the Skins

2 1st Rd, 2 2nd Rd, 1 3rd, 2 4th Rd picks, 1 5th Rd, 1 7th Rd = 9 picks

One can dream...... sigh

Honestly this draft is gonna be entertaining compared to the previous ones because of the uncapped year and the fact that a lot of teams can dump whoever they want (cough... Big Ben "sex offender" Roethlisberger)

Posted by: datruth21 | April 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

NFL Draft Dream scenario:

1. Seattle trades their 6th and 14th to move up to 4th to grab.

2. Lions trade their 2nd Rd pick for Fat Al Bast-urd Haynesworth

3. 3rd pick for Mcintosh Trade

4. 4th Rd pick for Campbell Trade

5. Portis & Landry for late 2nd and 4th Rd pick

which gives the Skins

2 1st Rd, 2 2nd Rd, 1 3rd, 2 4th Rd picks, 1 5th Rd, 1 7th Rd = 9 picks

One can dream...... sigh

Honestly this draft is gonna be entertaining to watch compared to the previous ones because of the uncapped year and the fact that a lot of teams can dump whoever they want (cough... Big Ben "sex offender" Roethlisberger)

Posted by: datruth21 | April 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

So far we've seen these names involved in trade discussions:

Hanyesworth
Carter
Rogers
Landry
McIntosh

Posted by: psps23

100% agreed, the only thing we've done to improve is mcNabb (as of now, only for 1 year) and LJ for Betts, and Parker for Cartwright

seems like their fixin on lowering the talent of the D, and so far without Levi jones the line is worse off thatn last year.

maybe these guys stay, we draft okung, re-sign Jones, hope, hope

we have to be 150% better to make the playoffs

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting no one will be traded. the talk of "trades" always excites the public. If there is a trade don't forget the other team is not giving away something for nothing. Relax!!

Posted by: boyn4884 | April 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

psps23

"But what I don't get is that they seem to be utterly intent on blowing up the wrong part. This has been a top 10 defense for years."

Perhaps their aim is to rebuild the defense with younger, faster, more versitile guys playing behind a wall of journeymen defensive/nose tackle types.

We say the team needs picks, so can we hate how they get them?

I don't know.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 16, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | April 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Between Campbell, McIntosh, and Haynesworth, the Skins should be able to at least come out with: Haynesworth 1st and 3rd rd, or at least 2nd and 3rd. Rocky- 3rd round, and Campbell 4th or 5th rd pick. I'd personally trade down and pick up a later 1st rd and 2nd or 3rd round pick for our #4. Then draft 2 tackles, 1 db, 1 qb project(depending on who's available and when), 1 big wr, and 2 LBs. That's 7 picks. If we have more picks in the process, then even better. At least this way, we're addressing needs and depth all while getting younger and still USING THE DRAFT.

HOPEFULLY this happens.

Posted by: alwaysactingafool | April 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

don't tread on me

I eat pieces of cassava leaves like you for breakfast!

4real tho: cassava leaves > collard greens (Book IT)

Ziya-po, my fren'

Posted by: Vicc

Wow, and you didn't need a single asterisk.

Posted by: TheCork | April 16, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum

yeah in fantasy land where all your draft picks start and are effective.

about mid season last year during a Jags game they started 2 rookie OTs, it was the first time anyone did that for like 40 years

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if they get a 1st, a 2nd or more for AH? He came to Washington as a free agent. The only thing they'll lose is money. If he is going to be a quitter and not man up, you get what you can. Don't want to see RM go, but he's not young anymore and has some health issues. Skins already have Fletcher who is pretty old. Time to upgrade at LB by getting younger. I think they'll get at least a 4th for Campbell if he goes.

Posted by: jdumb | April 16, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean a wild ride during draft week? It's been a constant wild ride, since Snyder bought the team.

Posted by: mrhonda | April 16, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes the Skins typically grossly over pay to move up in the draft then receive pennies on the dollar when they get rid of them a few years later.

Brilliant.

Posted by: nativedc | April 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

if its true...sounds to me like JReid is back to the Bullsh!t...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 16, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

So far we've seen these names involved in trade discussions:

Hanyesworth
Carter
Rogers
Landry
McIntosh

Posted by: psps23

exactly...that the clue that its all Bullsh!t

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 16, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mac is not playing this right....he will be the loser here.

Posted by: chrislarry

not necessarily...he's already been low-balled by the skins..the only way is up...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mac is not playing this right....he will be the loser here.

Posted by: chrislarry

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I have to side with chrislarry here. Here's why... Good soldiers get rewarded. whether it's by your team or another. The fact that the skins put a 2nd rd tender on him, and NO ONE jumped to take that says something. Also, would you rather have a long term deal at 10% increase or wait til the CBA is set and get your contract? Shut up and play ball. 1 year then be a free man. I'd do it.

Posted by: alwaysactingafool | April 16, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It all circles back to surrendering the 37th pick overall for McNabb plus a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2011.

Funny thing, even after paying, the $21 million of his bloated contract, the Redskins apparently can't get that for Haynesworth.

Don't see how they manage add picks now to the draft without giving away the store.

Trade Carter, Rocky, Haynesworth, Rodgers who's left to play the games? Or if they're in drastic rebuilding mode why did they piss away a couple precious draft picks for McNabb?

Posted by: Pepper5 | April 16, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed in RM's decision to hold out of camp. Another Miami player with a chip on his shoulder. Is that part of their curriculum down there?

He wants to be paid what's fair? Where does he think he stands in the league as far as the talent level of LBs vs what he's being paid? He's good, but I'm curious of what type of contract he expects given everything going on this year league-wise and especially team-wise.

If he has problems with the way the FO is handling things, he needs to be upset with his union for agreeing to this clause. His dues paid for this situation.

If he wants what's fair, look around at the economy and at how many people are really struggling and be grateful he's got a dam^ed job. Fair?! How about 100K for playing a sport that you're not willing to even do full time for now! Take it or get a real job and see how much you like that.

He says that he wants to play for the Skins, but he said that out of the side of his mouth. Clearly he doesn't care one way or the other.

Also, he said it'll be no problem picking up what he missed once/if he gets back. Really?! How does he know that? That's pretty insulting to Haslett and all his teammates that do care enough to be there. Why does anyone bother to show up now if it's that easy?

At least we'll hear about how he blew his knee out while he's on someone else team.

Disappointing

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 16, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Why not broker a 3-way trade? We send Jason to the DSteelers. (He's a man with character and skills.) The Steelers send Ben R. to Oakland and remove an embarrassment. The Raiders send us 2 draft choices in this year's draft.

Posted by: jetnarongaolcom | April 16, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jetnarongaolcom | April 16, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Trade all 3 of them to St. Louis for their #1 pick because they can't afford to pay for it.

Posted by: mmagua | April 16, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute, and say that this wasn't a great defense last year.

Good enough for a playoff club, if there had been an offense to support it. Good enough to earn an overall ranking near the top of the league. But if you adjust the rankings for things like schedule, holes start to appear.

Using a more sophisticated measure like footballoutsiders' DVOA, the problem becomes apparent: the Skins' defense was much, much better against the run than the pass. Washington ranked 6th in the NFL against rushing, 20th against passing. Of course, this was in part due to the opponent's strategy of attacking the team where it was weakest, and that meant through the air. The increased pass pressure didn't seem to help a whole lot in terms of stopping another team's passing game. That may be because the pass rush didn't produce many turnovers.

Overall it was a good defensive effort that fell way short of the league's top tier. The Skins' defense last year couldn't do what the Jets' defense did, for instance. which was carry a lesser offense to success.

Just speculation, but maybe that's what Shanahan and Haslett saw when they reviewed all that film.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 16, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

-- Yea, think we need to STOP thinking the defense was all-that the last couple years .... True they had virtually no help from the offense, but they were not good at creating turnovers, and seemed to have a real knack for not being able to make that key stop to preserve the win or keep hope alive for come back ... Their ranking was kinda misleading --

Posted by: RoidRage | April 16, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Skins won't get value for the players they are pushing. They'll all be back with the Skins for the 2010 season.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 16, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

When did Shanahan become such a great judge of talent? Without Davis and Elway, what has he done. We'll see what he does with whats left of the draft picks. Unless he trades them away for some other player with one or two years left. Don't drink the kool-ade.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 16, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I can't WAIT for Draft Day.

We're gonna shock the world.
This is so exciting.
woo hoo.
yaaaay.

*ahem*

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 16, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Man, I just don't get all of this hating on Rocky. The guy has never caused one problem off the field or in the locker room, and does a great job at weakside LB. He was second on the team in tackles, second in interceptions and forced fumbles and had a few tackles behind the los. He had no sacks, but was never asked to blitz. If they need to trade him because he doesnt fit into their D scheme, that's one thing. But stop the "he's a loser/bum" BS. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant it.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 17, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey Roid Rage, I think you need to remember how many stops the front 7 made on 3rd and 4th and short. I don't think the Skins have halted that many drives on short yardage stops the last 10 years combined. Their big problem was the secondary giving up big plays on 3rd and long, often because we didn't have a legit FS out there. Get a good (doesn't have to be great) FS back there and let LL play in the box, and see how much better things get.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 17, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

I am so excited. With the Snyderrato offensive line that is still here, I am buying season tickets. Somebody is going to get killed. This is going to be like the Roman Colliseum. Christians v. Lions. The Redskins have three running backs. That will get them through the first game. Get three or four more. The REdskins have four quarter backs. That will get them through two games. Donovan will be out by the second game. If Shanahan really wants to get even with Fat Albert, play him at quarterback. The Panty Liners that Vinny brought in cannot play. The could never play and they never will be able.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | April 17, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: The Redskins trade Jason Campbell and Rocky MacIntosh to an undisclosed team for a 3rd round draft choice and that team's commitment to purchase $10,000 of Sean Taylor sports memorabilia.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

As long as we end up with Okung I am happy. It would be nice to somehow pull off trades to get Trent Williams and/or Mike Iupati as well, but that is probably wishful thinking. It would also be nice to dump Landry.

Posted by: mcgratsp | April 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE TO JC17

If I’m JC17’s agent...

__________

Posted by VIC1

6. Have those adenoids treated and breathe thru your nose for a change.

Posted by: ElYeah | April 17, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse