NFL rule changes include penalties for head shots

NFL referee Scott Green addressed reporters about rule changes for this season Friday afternoon at Redskins Park.

Green, beginning his 20th season as a game official, introduced the league's 14-minute video on the changes and answered questions. "Pretty much any kind of shots to the head area of a defenseless player are going to be fouls," Green said. "As far as rule changes they're pretty limited, as far as new rule changes this year."

On the recommendation of the competition committee, umpires this season will be positioned on the offensive side of the ball. The move was made for the safety of the umpires, who often are involved in collisions.

The committee recommended that umpires should stand in the offensive backfield opposite referees for all plays except field-goal attempts and plays within the final two minutes of the second and fourth quarters.

"It's a change, so it's different," Green said. "Talking with the umpire with us today, he said, 'You know, I got some better angles on some punts and things that I hadn't seen before.'"

By Jason Reid  |  August 6, 2010; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No scrimmage on Fan Appreciation Day
Next: Roydell Williams bounces back after two years out of football

Comments

Did they outlaw the double move or the double post this year?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What's this all about?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Did they outlaw the double move or the double post this year?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the double post is still being used...

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THE PROBLEM IN THIS STATEMENT????

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 2:30 PM

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 2:57 PM

For all the dummies, and my dummies I mean my #1 fan NPI......How can you have completly installed your offensive package and then say 95% has been complteted?

Completed = 100%

Next week NPI - I will teach you Touchdowns = 6 points

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Pretty much any kind of shots to the head area of a defenseless player are going to be fouls," Green said, "Except for Dallas Cowboys. You can pretty much get away with beating the snot out of those guys if I'm calling it..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

heee....heeee...he said head shot...

Posted by: gixxer998 | August 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What about shots to a defenseless corner back delivered by an aging Carolina Panthers QB? Is there a penalty for that? Because if there was maybe we win that Carolina game last year.

Hey Oh!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Touchdowns = 6 points

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 3:41 PM

Is this one of the rule changes? Hard to keep up with them.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"NFL rule changes include penalties for head shots"

The best shot?

Padron with a tist of lime.

Back to back.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 6, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the completed 95% of the offense thing was a little ridiculous.

Do these guys proofread?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"NFL rule changes include penalties for head shots"

The best shot?

Padron with a tist of lime.

Back to back.

Posted by: gimmesummoe

As long as they don't start penalizing body shots and I'm ok with it.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The best shot?

Padron with a tist of lime.

Back to back.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh no. Just puked.

An occasional Crown Royal shot is tasty.

When I'm feeling kinda gay I'll have the following:

Washington Apple
SoCo and Lime
Buttery Nipple

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

NFL rule changes:

The one I don't like... If punt returner calls for a fair catch & bobbles the punt, he has a chance to catch the punt before it hits the ground. If he is interfered with before the ball hits the ground, the offense gets the ball at the spot with no penalty for interference. In other words, if returner bobbles, he can't be crushed to cause a fumble and other team can't recover unless it hits the ground.

Posted by: tony325 | August 6, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

There goes Landry's career!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

New drinking game -- Double shots for everyone, every time your favorite team gets penalized for a head shot. We'll call it the "empathy rule."

Posted by: Vic1 | August 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Don't ever call me baby, hess.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 6, 2010 12:44 PM

I borrowed Riggo's, "loosen up, Sandy baby" quote.

How about this red, you sure have thin skin, my man !

You can't be sensitive on this board, c'mon.

Posted by: hessone | August 6, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 6, 2010 3:51 PM

I kinda agree with that rule change...on one hand the PR should just catch it clean...but oh man that is one job I would not want.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 6, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

When I'm feeling kinda gay I'll have the following:

My last gay moment occured the day my drunk father tried to breast feed me.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | August 6, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 6, 2010 3:51 PM

I hate being interfered with while I am bobbling my balls.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

You can't be sensitive on this board, c'mon.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 6, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

There goes Landry's career!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 6, 2010 3:56 PM

He's had a career?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

When I'm feeling kinda gay I'll have the following:

Washington Apple
SoCo and Lime
Buttery Nipple

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 3:51 PM |

Again with the gayness? Oy!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Again with the gayness? Oy!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to call it progressive thinking.

SoCo and Limes for everyone on the Optimism Tour Bus!!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Again with the gayness? Oy!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to call it progressive thinking.

SoCo and Limes for everyone on the Optimism Tour Bus!!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM

You called it gay, dude, but whateves.

You know I'm on the bus with you, but I may have to be on the back o' the bus sippin kool-aid while you drive. ;)

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

SoCo and Limes for everyone on the Optimism Tour Bus!!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM

Love the Optimism Tour Bus but I'll take the Patron with my lime.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a beep beep times two...

Posted at 4:15 PM ET, 08/ 6/2010
Roydell Williams bounces back after two years out of football

Posted at 4:20 PM ET, 08/ 6/2010
Doug Dutch: Ravens' practice tougher than Redskins'

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Again with the gayness? Oy!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to call it progressive thinking.

SoCo and Limes for everyone on the Optimism Tour Bus!!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM

You called it gay, dude, but whateves.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

SoCo and Limes for everyone on the Optimism Tour Bus!!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM

Love the Optimism Tour Bus but I'll take the Patron with my lime.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You drink whatever you want on The Optimism Tour Bus! Only good things happen there!

The only thing not allowed is Haterade.

I think I'll hire a driver, so I can do the Stanky leg and have a beverage when we pull up to FedEx on Sept. 12th

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

iH8,

No Malibu Rum?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | August 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Doug Dutch: Ravens' practice tougher than Redskins'

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 6, 2010 4:29 PM |

Sounds like he's learning. Maybe if he'd practiced harder with the Redskins they wouldn't have had to trade him.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The only thing not allowed is Haterade.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 6, 2010 4:31 PM

As our long lost friend moodly would say, moo dat!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 6, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse