NFL.com Voters Name Zorn Coach of Week

Jason La Canfora reports:

Jim Zorn has been selected as the NFL's coach of the week in voting on the league's website, the NFL announced today.

He beat out finalists Herm Edwards of the Kansas City Chiefs and Jeff Fisher of the Tennessee Titans.

In January, voting will be held on NFL.com to determine the coach of the year.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 3, 2008; 1:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Not "Comfortable" with Activating Kelly
Next: Redskins/Eagles Scouting Report

Comments

sween; regarding the team colors.

Basically you have to specify a home and away, but not necessarily are tied to that decision. Think of it more as a preferred and back up, sometimes with a third jersey.

That is why we can go white on white, or red on red, or third... it is up to us.

JZ said he might have us wearing red at home like other teams, but since it was so hot with NO and Ari we went white.

basically we couldnt wear blue pants or a green jersey unles they were part of the three combos we submit...

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | October 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

If you think about it Andy Reid is probably the best HC we have faced to date, maybe Tommy the Mad Blue Dwarf but I give the edge to Reid.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Best head coach, yes. Best gameplanner we've had to deal with? I'd give that to Spagnuolo.

Of course, the combo of Andy Reid and Jim Johnson outweighs that of the Gilbride/Spagnuolo team, in my opinion. Should be a tough game, as expected.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is such a keeper. I thought he let the team Captains pick the uniform colors for the games. Gibbs said he did but I think he only let them pick what pants to have.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

+++Flound, let it go, don't take the bait, you're better than this....let Corky live in his fantasy world...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 3, 2008 2:00 PM+++

Sure, it's easy for you to preach, but you just HAD to get your lousy pun in...so NOW who's taking the bait?

They don't call puns the lowest form of humor for nothing.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Double digit wins
Make Zorn lock for Coach of Year
But less? Hello, Bills!

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 3, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What's going on with Andre Carter? What kind of personal issues is he involved with that are preventing him from practicing?

Posted by: paulstutz14 | October 3, 2008 1:45 PM

It's personal.

Posted by: dcsween | October 3, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, would it be possible for one of you connected types to be a dove and call the Elias stats peeps, to find out if any other team has ever had to play all of its division rivals on the road in the first month of play?

Three out of five on the road against division rivals just seems like insane scheduling... I guess it's not such a big deal, and it's nice to get these roadies out of the way, especially if we win Sunday, but it seems like cruel and unusual punishment...

Maybe this alone isn't worth a call to Elias, but whatevs, just occurred to me that this is probably incredibly rare, if not the only time it's ever happened...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 3, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

1 thing we do know, no throwback uniforms this year. But at this point the uniforms are throwbacks.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Always good to see you Haikuman.

Skinz

Posted by: Gweez | October 3, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

... He beat out finalists Herm Edwards of the Kansas City Chiefs ...

By Cindy Boren | October 3, 2008

Sorry, Cindy. But good on the Cheeves for beating the Denver!

Posted by: dcsween | October 3, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

++++Actually it's pretty simple what he said.

"He just hasn't participated enough in our team responsibilities for me to feel comfortable with him running the routes.
Translation: He hasn't practiced enough for me to feel comfortable with him running routes.

We're not deciphering KGB messages here. It's pretty self-explanatory, actually.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 1:58 PM++++

Thanks. You bring back fond memories of the time when I played fubball. How well I remember my coach saying:

“Okay, you wide receivers, make sure you participate enough in your team responsibilities, so the QB will know where to throw the ball…"

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Cindy. But good on the Cheeves for beating the Denver!

Posted by: dcsween |
Sween they are still the Chiefs the names already plural. Unless that was a joke then my bad.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

+++NFL.com Voters Name Zorn Coach of Week+++

What took them so long? That was some brilliant coaching. Kudos to Mr. Blache, too.

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

You are applying Gibbsian analysis to Zornian statements. Fourteen levels of parsing to divine some sort of intent in a statement is soooo last year.

Posted by: daggar | October 3, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

NFC East O rankings by points scored:

3. Dallas 30.0
6. NY Giants 27.7
7. Philadelphia 27.5
18. Washington 21.5 (26.3 last three games, good for 11th)

NFC East D rankings by points allowed:

2. NY Giants 14.3
7. Philadelphia 18.5
12. Washington 20.3
18.Dallas 22.3

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:14 PM

Ahh yes, if it were only a game of Madden, then Campbell and Kelly could have the instant connection of exactly knowing each other's minds because the routes are run on paper (or in Madden's case, a TV screen).

Unfortunately for the Redskins, it takes time on an actual football field to develop chemistry between a WR and a QB.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

3. Dallas 30.0
6. NY Giants 27.7
7. Philadelphia 27.5
18. Washington 21.5 (26.3 last three games, good for 11th)

NFC East D rankings by points allowed:

2. NY Giants 14.3
7. Philadelphia 18.5
12. Washington 20.3
18.Dallas 22.3

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM

I'd say considering the offenses we've played that makes our defense pretty damn good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 3, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paulstutz14 | October 3, 2008 1:45 PM

It's personal.

Posted by: dcsween | October 3, 2008 2:10 PM

DCSween - officially on fire

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 3, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

who - Andre Carter's on fire!?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 3, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar | October 3, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm just trying to imagine how the conversation actually went on "your" team.

"Coach.. I know I haven't taken more then 5 snaps in practice all week and I'm a rookie and all... but I swear I've study the playbook for over 80 hours and know it inside and out. I really think i should get the start over that other guy that you know... scored a TD last week"

"Sure thing kid.. I don't need to see how well you grasp things and I'm sure the QB has no need to work on timing with you.. so go ahead.. will sit Jonny on the bench this week"

Posted by: fbchick | October 3, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

NFC East O rankings by points scored:

3. Dallas 30.0
6. NY Giants 27.7
7. Philadelphia 27.5
18. Washington 21.5 (26.3 last three games, good for 11th)

NFC East D rankings by points allowed:

2. NY Giants 14.3
7. Philadelphia 18.5
12. Washington 20.3
18.Dallas 22.3

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The real stat should be a +/- stat, where we compare our point differential to the averages of the teams we played. We held Dallas -6, Giants -11.7, Cardinals -67.8, etc. I'd like to see our result in that stat (the Cardinals stat was a lie).

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

dcsween may be on fire, but fbchick is certainly heating up.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 3, 2008 2:19 PM |

Brilliant post, indeed!
Great point, still better word play.
Daggar shoots; he scores!

Posted by: HaikuMan | October 3, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The Giants should fall in the rankings once they play better teams.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
I'm with you, the schedulers must have had it out for Zorn (Forzorn..?) what with the extra preseason game and starting out with the SB champs.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 3, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I *heart* Jim Zen.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 3, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

NFC East O rankings by points scored:

3. Dallas 30.0
6. NY Giants 27.7
7. Philadelphia 27.5
18. Washington 21.5 (26.3 last three games, good for 11th)

NFC East D rankings by points allowed:

2. NY Giants 14.3
7. Philadelphia 18.5
12. Washington 20.3
18.Dallas 22.3

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Only stat that matters.

3-1

Posted by: Gweez | October 3, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I disagree Gweez. The other stat that matters to me:

1-0 vs. Dallas!

'Cause if we don't win it all, I can say - WE BEAT DALLAS!! If we change that to a 2-0, then it's a successful season!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 3, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody at the park ask if we will ever get burgundy on burgundy uniforms?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 3, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Herm as coach of the weak.

Here's the final injury list:
Taylor -- out
Heyer -- doubtful
Springs, Washington -- questionable
Carter, Thomas, probable

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 3, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

it's awl about da REDSKIIIIIIIIIIIINS

HAIL HAIL HAIL HAIL HAIL people HAIL

HIP HIP HOORAY
HIP HIP HOORAY
HIP HIP HOORAY!!

Horny4Zorny '08!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 3, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody at the park ask if we will ever get burgundy on burgundy uniforms?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 3, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope the answer is "we would rather let Chris Cooley go pantsless."

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have seen Learned Hand and Haikuman with multiple posts. Can Megskin and Sallie Mae be far behind?

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 3, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

tafka, it's time to expect wins with this team. so i'm expecting that they crush the iggles. everyone's like "no way the iggles go 2-3"...i say why not? if they're playing the skins!

on paper they beat the iggles (as far as the record goes, who the iggles have beaten and who the skins have beaten and how). so for real skins should crush them.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, what a great day on the blog.
Hail registration.

I do miss the nads guy (only a little).

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 3, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

which thomas?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah Stumped1, hail registration and let's enjoy our 2 posts per hour

YAAAAAAAAAAAAWN

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 3, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

sacraficing quantity for quality and women...

Posted by: alex35332 | October 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Can we submit nominees each day around say 3-4pm for POD (Post of the Day)? Think it'd be fun to rehash the best analysis, haikus, and general zingers of the day. Also helps when you don't have time to read all the entries (great job, by the way, to Cindy, Jasno and Jason- really been slamming em lately).

My nominee for the day is the following Made me almost fall outta my chair (my office mate thinks I need help. he has no idea)-

Posted by: paulstutz14 | October 3, 2008 1:45 PM

It's personal.

Posted by: dcsween | October 3, 2008 2:10 PM

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

Have a look at James Hardy of Buffalo, Mario Manningham of the Giants, Limas Sweed of the Steelers. They're all basically following the same pattern that Kelly is, only as far as I know, Kelly is the only one who has been as injured as he's been.

Let me know what you come up with??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 3, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

....and what about this fellow Erasmus James?

Is he 100 percent yet? Is he, like Kelly, just still needing more reps?

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 3, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's the final injury list:
Taylor -- out
Heyer -- doubtful
Springs, Washington -- questionable
Carter, Thomas, probable
Posted by: CindyBoren | October 3, 2008 3:02 PM |

Carter? Is he on there b/c he's hurt or because he was out for a few days on personal biz?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 3, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

How long has James been rehabbing his surgery? Or, I should say, how far along post-op is he? Are we at the point where we can judge him for his ability yet? I mean, I'm encouraged by what I saw from Jackson as a 7th round pick, but if James is healthy and is being beat out by Rob Jackson, it doesn't bode well for Erasmus.

Posted by: psps23 | October 3, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I am getting nervous for Sunday. I liked it when everyone overlooked us. Now, I feel like we suddenly have expectations to win again. It's nicer to be a surprise.

We will win a SB soon (maybe not this year) for no other reason than I moved away from the area, so I will miss the excitement of being in DC for the playoffs and SB.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 3, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Eagles IR for today:

DE Victor Abiamiri Wrist Limited Participation (D)

G/T Shawn Andrews Back No Participation (D)

WR Kevin Curtis Limited Participation (D)

RDT Dan Klecko Hand Limited Participation (P)

QB Donovan McNabb Chest Full Participation (P)

RB Brian Westbrook Ankle Full Participation (Q)

S Quintin Demps Knee Full Participation (P)

TE L.J. Smith Back Full Participation (Q)

DE Darren Howard Abdomen Full Participation (P)

Philly is hurtin'... but not as much as they hopefully are Sunday.

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am surprisingly calm about this weekend. I really expect the skins to play well. I'd like to see El and Cooley have big games to keep the opposing defenses off balance.

Posted by: TWISI | October 3, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 3, 2008 2:43 PM

Actually, the extra preseason game is on Snyder. He lobbied heavily to play the hall of fame game because of Monk and Green.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 3, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 3:59 PM

Dude!!! post of the day!!! i nominate you as the secretary of state, responsible for brining in the opponents injury list everyweek.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

fine!!! realness, you can have the IR CZAR title instead. sec. of state induces(?) images of condy rice....*shudders*

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Did the schedule makers hurt or help the 'Skins? If we win Sunday, and maybe even if we don't, I'd say they helped us. The worst of our schedule will be behind us and we'll be either 4-1 or 3-2. Giants can't say that: they've been on vacation for four weeks. Cowboys and Philly have both faced a few tough teams, but Cowboys will have to face them again on the road and the Eagles still have to come to DC.

"Tough schedule" cuts either way, depending on whether you're a strong team or a weak team, so -- with 20-20 hindsight -- I'm saying that they gave us a gift with the early season schedule.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Weekend's almost here.

RED-RAFT!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Forecast for Philly on Sunday - F5 ZORNADO

Posted by: Zornado | October 3, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 3:59 PM

Posted by: dealer1 | October 3, 2008 4:21 PM

Just doing my duty for my beloved 'Skins bretheren and sistren. We need to sandblast Philly and take their cheesesteaks!

Posted by: Realness1 | October 3, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 3, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 3, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

******************************************
It could have gone either way - luckily, it has gone this way so far. But the fact of the matter is the NFL made a rookie head coach open the season on national TV against the reigning champions in their house (and we see how great that all worked out). Realistically, we could have been at 1-4 after Sunday (giving us the AZ, but not the Saints), and 0-3 in our division. My fear was that while we finished the division all at home, by getting our butts kicked the beginning of the season, these games would mean absolutely nothing since they are not until Nov. 16, 30 and Dec. 19.

Now, we have only played 4 games, but I am optimistic that the schedule will actually work to our advantage come November and December. But at first glance, it looked like the season could have been over very, very quickly.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 3, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse