No Increase in Optimism on Portis

Coach Jim Zorn said he was hoping for a better report on Clinton Portis today, but the tailback was unable to do much more than get more treatment for his knee sprain. "I was hoping today there would be a little more optimism, but there's not," Zorn said.

Tailback Ladell Betts performed well in practice with a brace on his injured knee. "He made some cuts," Zorn said, hoping that if Portis misses Sunday night's game against Dallas that Betts will be able to start.

Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly is progressing in practice, Zorn said, and has had no setbacks with his knee. However, Zorn does not expect to activate Kelly this week because he is "so far behind" but is encouraged by what he has seen.

"I'm just glad he's out there and feeling no pain," Zorn said.

It is not looking as if Marcus Washington (shoulder) or Anthony Montgomery (Achilles') will be able to play. Shawn Springs is still expected to play and Zorn said that cornerback DeAngelo Hall, acquired last weekend, will participate on some kickoff units and play an undetermined amount of snaps on defense.

Although wide receiver Devin Thomas missed practice because of a stomach ailment, he should be able to play Sunday, Zorn said.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 13, 2008; 1:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Practice Report
Next: Blache Says Hall, Taylor Are Ready

Comments

We're screwed. No CP. No Marcus. Springs is iffy.

Not looking good at all.

I'm praying this team is better I think they are without CP.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

FIRST, I'm predicting that Portis will be ready at the kickoff. But not before.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say I'm praying this team is better then I think they will be without CP on the field.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 13, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

A battle between 2 people on the blog who both were born out of a gimicy trait, not that there was anything wrong with it, but remember the old days when Truth would state every opinion as "The Truth" in 3rd person and Zebra would start every post with Flag, 5 yard penalty... When the blog was ruled by the fair and wise Nate's and Ditty's of the world wide web.

TE well I don't care how Portis is doing after so lets hope you are right.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

FIRST...

how do we have a bye week...and get LESS healthy...

wierd

Posted by: carsonspence | November 13, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Great to hear Kelly knee is holding up. Wish Zorn would let him play this week.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

FIRST...

how do we have a bye week...and get LESS healthy...

wierd

Posted by: carsonspence

I was thinking the same thing.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

When Kelly makes the wrong cut and the pick six goes the other way, maybe we wouldn't be too happy to have Kelly out there.

Coarch has us this far - let him do his job...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 13, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe CP should check this out.......

Posted by: cej75024 | November 13, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Go with Alexander and Sellahs in the backfield please.

In the I.
On the screens and short check down routes.
And, on passing downs to pick up the pass rush.

Mike has good hands and will make the LBs and DBs wish they hadn't gotten out of bed.

We can run, we can pass. Yes we can!
Hail!

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | November 13, 2008 1:01 PM

Don't forget the FB up the middle play w/ the big back to keep 'em honest. Mike Williams was a talent w/o the work ethic and left as a soph. Need more back story about Colbert's habits. Did leave after senior season. He's healthy though...

WR Keary Colbert highlights:

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, its bizarre to be this much less healthy after a bye week. No CP, No Marcus, no monty...walking wounded everywhere....all while Pukes gettin cats back...ugh...gonna take a huge TEAM effort this week.

JM, I trust Zorn if he doesn't think Kelly can help, he can't help.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 13, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Zebra would start every post with Flag, 5 yard penalty...

Posted by: alex35332"

wow, that sounds incredibly, incredibly lame

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, like speaking in the third person.

Truth, if you think my joke about you and craig being the same person was hostile, then your first response to my LaVar story "Not only are you an idiot, you're also a weak wannabe.

I wish you'd burn LaVar's jersey in front of LaVar!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse "

must be a full on declaration of war.

Really...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

jm, agreed on both points.

Defense needs to bring some violence to the field this week. I'm thinking/hoping that someone flying under the radar, someone steps up that we're not expecting to step up....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

You know what sucks? The prospect of playing a division game without our #1 weapon.

You know what else sucks? When you forget to set your fantasy football roster before kickoff in tonight's game.

I know that burned a few people last week and wanted to get the word out...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually it was really really funny

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey CL. How is the little one doing? Still think he can be used in the red zone.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

No nate, what really sucks is not realizing the tipping league locks in completely at the thursday night game.

I cant pick the teams before 12 pm sunday b/c of injury updates... i got a big fat ol 0 for last week.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"must be a full on declaration of war.

Really...

Posted by: Zeebs"

Possibly, you might not know when The Truth declares war until it's too late.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I know I am a few post behind with this one but as far as the weather goes on Sunday. 49 and Windy, please people that is nothing. I am transplanted Skins fan, left DC for beautiful Vermont and our forecast is for temp in low 30's and snow, so I don't want to hear any crying. Suck it up, it's football weather and it's Dallas week!

Posted by: jayandcat | November 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Nate, Thankfully the "Sports" Junkies reminded me to do so this morning, dispite their drunkeness on their radio show.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

jayandcat;

I went to Vermont (st Johnsbury) for work in 03. March 5th, foot of snow... peeps use snow mobiles instead of cars. We were so close to the border, half of the channels were in french...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people think SA will be even servicable.

Dude has lost all game, period.

And who knows how hungry he really is? ROCK, on the other hand, is mad hungry. Dude's hungry like he ain't ate in months people.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Missing CP is the only injury I am concerned about as long as Samuels can play through the knee pain. But if Betts can go that will make it much easier to deal with. HB Blades from Marcus Washington is not that much of a dropoff if any at this point of his career. Shawn Springs won't play if he gets a hangnail so no need to keep counting on him to show up.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | November 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

10 carries for Betts
5 carries for Sellers
5 Carries for SA
10 Carries for Rock

I'd like to see how that works out....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

truth, i actually agree with you...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Jla Templeton, I agree. I think HB is making serious strides into a starter this year...

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I continue to prorgess a 'Skins victory.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | November 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

We're screwed. No CP. No Marcus. Springs is iffy.
Not looking good at all.
I'm praying this team is better I think they are without CP.
Posted by: goskinsgo | November 13, 2008 1:49 PM |

The second coming of Lisa?

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever tried to pronounce Jasno's typos: "prorgessing"? I know, I should have better things to do.

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Rock is hungry. I just worry about his fumbling.

His career stats show he fumbles once every 50 carries (150 carries, 3 fumbles) and also fumbled on a reception (32 receptions, 1 fumble).

That's 4 fumbles in 182 offensive touches.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

It's BIG BOY TIME NOW!
Look, I don't care who is starting and who isn't. Our Defense is healthy for the most part and is playing very well and they gotta continue to get better. Hit dallas in the mouth, and get to romo! that is the key to the game, hit romo. Period! CP will not be playing, and that is okay, let him get back to 100%. The men behind him are not wanna bes, and they are not rookies. They are all seasoned, proven players, so they can step in and get the job done. Campbell needs protection and if he gets it can carve up their secondary. This is playoff time, the first nine weeks were nice, but none of that matters anymore. It's BIG BOY TIME NOW, and this is where we find out who is for real and who is not. Hail to the Skins. F dallas! btw, someone was talking about joining the cowboys blog to talk smack and I am proud to say I have done so. I encourage all of you to do the same. Here is the link:

Posted by: marleyb313 | November 13, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Mark, thats icelandic for 'I like ipods'

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, these injury reports are just not getting any better (with the exception of Betts practicing).This game is going to be a serious gut check. I am losing faith that we will see CP in the game. Hopefully Betts will be ready. And Moss. And Samuels. No surprise that M Washington won't play. At least Blades and K Campbell are good to go. Anyone want to bet some bonus points that Springs doesn't play? I know it's and NFC East game and all (which he simply does not miss, according to his own self), but the way his year's going, he won't be in there, or if he does, he'll just tweak his injury some more and miss the 2nd half.......looks like we could use another bye week......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 13, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"truth, i actually agree with you...

Posted by: Zeebs"

obviously because you're just another account I post under, duh.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs,

I live on the western side of the state but at about the same level as St. J and yes sometimes it is easier to get around with a snow machine or skies. Two winters ago it snow 3 ft on Valentine Day and we got at least a foot every week until April. On tax day I was still skiing in knee deep fresh powder! We love our winters up here but I'll tell you a little secret we love to make fun of the Frenchies, and by that I mean the wannabe Frenchies(French Canadians).

Posted by: jayandcat | November 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The second coming of Lisa?

Posted by: 4thFloor

lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why you can't activate Kelly and give him a few plays that he is sure of... We all know Thrash isn't much of a receiving threat. With all the injuries and guys not playing shouldn't their be an open spot to activate him on Sunday? If he's healthy and we are short playmakers, give him a shot. Just a thought...

Posted by: hender_22 | November 13, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So no Hall on punt returns cause when we made this aquisition i was really stoked about getting something new from him in our punt return game, he said he will be on kickoff and some defenseive plays so i guess its back to ARE for the ol left right fall down shuffle, or maybe well have to throw moss back there again to retweak that hammy.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 13, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Junkies, I don't know if somebody posted it already, but they had Mike Florio on this morning and asked him who he thinks will win the MVP. He said there will be 5 names in discussion, but it will come down to 3 players. Drew Brees will have the stats for it, but his team is too poor for him to win. Kurt Warner's name will be tossed around, but he doesn't think it will last. In the end, he thinks the MVP of the league will come down to 3 players: Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, and Jason Campbell. That's right folks, 2 of the top 3 MVP candidates this season, according to Florio. If Portis can't go, I'd be willing to bet the house that JC puts in a MVP performance this weekend. 300+ yards, 3 TDs.

Posted by: psps23 | November 13, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Rock is hungry. I just worry about his fumbling.

That's 4 fumbles in 182 offensive touches.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse
Career kick returns - 158
Fumbles - 1, in his first year with Skins in 2002.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 13, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Zeeb- I just did my 'tips' for this week...looks like you got credit for picking 8 games correctly last week.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 13, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Well psps, without Portis, JC will be able to earn that right to be in the dicsussion about possibly being in line to be considered... for MVP.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse
Career kick returns - 158
Fumbles - 1, in his first year with Skins in 2002.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 13, 2008 2:18 PM |
-----------------

Yes, 1 fumble in 158 kick returns, but 4 fumbles in 182 offensive touches.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

8?? I went on Saturday and they were all greyed out... maybe they picked my average? it was around 7. something..

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

psps23 if JC has the time there is no question he can put up those numbers. I been saying for the last two years that the girls secondary is weak. G Men are as well but their front 4 makes up for it.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 13, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If Betts plays, we should be OK on offense. We cannot afford for them both to miss this game. Not too worried about Marcus sitting. Springs and Taylor back are huge. And I agree with Zeebs, it's time for JC to show that he belongs in that MVP discussion

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

ataboy Truth, keep carrying that bullet riddled Cartwright flag.

BOR-RING....

*sigh*

Posted by: RedDMV | November 13, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

10 carries for Betts
5 carries for Sellers
5 Carries for SA
10 Carries for Rock

I'd like to see how that works out....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

WORD!! Greg, when you hitting the road? I need to find a woman who thinks that's a good (acceptable) anniversary present...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Us redskins fan know what betts can bring if he is healthy. He is a legit NFL running back. If Clinton cannot go i have all the confidence in the world in Ladell.

Posted by: seantay | November 13, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

4th, you better get on the ledge too. i'm expecting a blow out. 0-35 girls.

i just don't like zorny's decision to put SA37 infront of cartwright. pure cronyism. well he does hang around with #43 a lot so...who cares about a kick returner when you're in need of a running back MORE. i'm willing to take the ball at 20-25 every time the other team kicks off.

nate, can you like bench a couple of your starters? please. like i did last week. i need divine intervention to beat you this week.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 13, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Betts will be fine. If he plays, he will be rusty. Maybe not ready to test his knee fully. I say rest him again.

Really, the running game finished off the boys last game. Remember the passing attack was lethal. We kept running the ball early though to keep them honest, but it was only for meager gains. We didnt start breaking off runs until the end. Really, it has been that way all year.

I think really thats what we need to do again. If its rock, or SA, keep them guessing, wear down their line. Throw in some reverses. And hit the big plays downfield.

We are best when we are diverse, and horrible when we are 1 dimensional (see pitt and ny).

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:28 PM

You found the only one and she's already married to Greg.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Dallas D - 23rd PTS/G, 24.3

Skins D - 8th, 18.7

Dallas O - 11th PTS/G, 24

Skins O - 26th, 19. Is it just me or has Zorn been too conservative the past few weeks?

DC kicking - Shaun Suisham 78.3%

Dallas kicking - Nick Folk 81.8%

Dallas punting - Mat McBriar 49 avg., 40.5 net

Sam Paulescu 41.8, 33.8 net

DC punting - Ryan Plackemeier 40.1 avg., 32.7 net (.6 higher than Brooks)

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Screw awards right now... I'm trying to get the confidence that we can beat Dallas, but I'm not finding anything to make me feel confident about.

Poris is basically out, Moss has been nicked since the Detroit game--That's their offense right there--On the mother freakin' sideline.

Is it just me, but looking back, does anyone think the 'skins had a better chance at beating Dallas back in week 4 than they do now. It's crazy that I should feel or think that way, 'cause back in week 4 they were more unproven.

Week 4 feels like a minute (Long time) ago.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 13, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

yep jm. gints have one of the weakest secondaries in the league. and we have the best. so what they say is true...you win it in the trenches. don't know why this FO has completely ignored that theory.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 13, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd suggest we were No-Dimensional against NY

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 13, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | November 13, 2008 2:30 PM

Cronyism? Let's see:

SA37 -- 2168 carries for 9452 yards
Cartwright -- 150 carries for 660 yards

Yeah, the rookie head coach is willing to sacrifice a few games to help his old buddy. Thanks for sharing this astute observation.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse
Career kick returns - 158
Fumbles - 1, in his first year with Skins in 2002.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 13, 2008 2:18 PM |
-----------------

Yes, 1 fumble in 158 kick returns, but 4 fumbles in 182 offensive touches.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's look at all offensive combined attempts in the last 4.5 seasons:
Plays Fumbles
2004 2 0
2005 33 1
2006 69 1
2007 54 0
2008 31 0
total 179 2

This excludes his rookie and 2nd seasons. Since then, he is fumbling once every 89.5 touches. And kickoff returns can have some violent collisions.

I'm not saying that he won't fumble. But I think he has matured as a ball carrier. I would still prefer Betts & CP, but mainly because they are better at blocking LB's and safeties on blitzes.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 13, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or what do others make of the lack of Dallas fans spaming on this blog?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:28 PM

You found the only one and she's already married to Greg.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

single life ain't a bad consolation.

I hate to say this because I know it doesn't normally work but Dallas is thin and rusty in the secondary. If Portis and Betts both are inactive, I think we need to open up with lots of underneath to Cooley, a couple slip screens to Tana, and a few mid-deep balls. Establish the pass first then run. It's a gamble I know and I love Rock but without your 2 best RB's I just don't think business as suaul will do it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

True John;

In NY and Pitt we were getting hit in the backfield in runs so Zorn abandoned it. In other games when we were stuggling running it, we were getting 1 or 2 yards, but they were positive plays.

That seems to be the litmus for Zorns play calling. But they did go back to the drawing board. Hopefully we will see the other half of his playbook since the first half has been used.

We say double team TO and hunt Barbers legs. Other teams say cut down our O Line and get us in long down and distance then blitz campbell.

Difference is, vs Philly we screened them to death with Cooley once he released his blocks... we need to do that again.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 13, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

lm, we're leaving around 6:30 tonight.

Yeah, I married WAY, WAY up....this was all her idea, coming down to the game. To boot, she had a choice of the Pitt game, or the Dallas game. She, despite her choice in husband, made a good choice of games to go to....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"ataboy Truth, keep carrying that bullet riddled Cartwright flag.

BOR-RING....

*sigh*

Posted by: RedDMV"

are you really that confident in the 86 year old Shaun Alexander?

and what's your beef with ROCK?

ROCK = true Redskin

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 13, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

My point exactly, Alex.
beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 13, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 13, 2008 2:41 PM

Registration? I noticed a few of us had posts up yesterday on that Cowboys blog that someone linked to, but it was pretty boring.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

was that a pump fake beep beep, or a losable type beep beep, cuz I got nothin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 13, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

DC punting - Ryan Plackemeier 40.1 avg., 32.7 net (.6 higher than Brooks)

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse
Remember, his average and net probably* include a blocked punt that went backwards, a negative yardage punt.

* Does anyone know if that blocked punt is included or excluded? If so, what would his numbers be without it?

Posted by: frediefritz | November 13, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Real beep beep.

If you can't trust talent_evaluator, who can you trust?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 13, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

hey Einstein last time i checked it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to show a dallas punter's stats who is on IR

Posted by: seantay | November 13, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

If I were Coach (thank God I'm not), I would:

1) Start Heyer. He is far better at pass bloacking and the future. JC is gonna have to make plays and needs some time. Get him in there.

2) Have Hall return punts. It's a gamble sure but we probably can't afford to put 89 back there this week since he's not likely to be 100%. I know he doesn't have a ton of experience back there, but Hall is a playmaker. And can't be worse than ARE

3) Make Romo beat us. If we keep shutting Barber down and make them one-dimensional, he'll get loose and throw some pickles. Havig not played in almost a month and wearing a splint, I like our chances.

We need to win the turnover battle and keep JC mostly upright and he and the D will find a way to win.

HAIL HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 13, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Sunday night won't be about the Redskins running game. If the Dallas staff has half a brain--admittedly a debatable premise--they'll drop a safety deep to make Campbell think twice about going deep, put everybody but Wade Phillips and his daddy's hat on the line of scrimmage to stop *whoever* the Redskins line up at RB, jump the short routes, and force Jason Campbell beat them intermediate and deep.

This is the biggest game for Campbell since New Orleans. His team needs him to step up.

Posted by: OmSteven | November 13, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

How is Moss's Hamstring???

Posted by: kenboy1 | November 14, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse