There's No Quarterback Controversy

Thirteen weeks into the season, there's a growing contingent of people intent on blaming everything on the quarterback and calling for a backup to play. The same people clamoring for Colt Brennan in August and September are now crying out for Todd Collins.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we're back where we started, yet I am.

Predictably, Coach Jim Zorn spent a good deal of his press conference fielding questions about Campbell, including one from a reporter who asked if a quarterback change was in order. Zorn is tuning out the noise. He knows Campbell isn't perfect - Zorn called the passer's performance against the Giants "very average" - but the problems run much deeper than the one position that draws the most attention (judging by talk radio and my inbox today).

Zorn, to the surprise of none of the schlubs who cover this team on a regular basis, dismissed any notion of a QB controversy and hasn't considered a change. His best quarterback is on the field for every snap, and will continue to be as long as he is healthy.

I know it's difficult for some people to get beyond the December Todd Collins had last year, but times have changed. Zorn is trying to develop Campbell into a franchise quarterback and the kid is doing a fine job, all things considered. Zorn is demanding more of him and holds him, admittedly, to the highest standard possible ("I want him to play mistake-free," Zorn said), but he is taking a less myopic look at the scope of the offensive woes than a lot of fans and media types.

His confidence in Campbell is strong and he sees lots of positives in every outing, even one as mundane as Sunday's.

"I put a lot on him to be right all the time," Zorn said of his expectations, "... and he knows that I think he can really do it."

There are numerous reasons why the offense isn't scoring, most of which we have covered. There are only a few receivers who can really be trusted to run the right route, make the catch, and not put the team in peril (Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El and Chris Cooley). There were too many times when receivers failed to get open, Zorn said, and some crushing drops by James Thrash, Malcolm Kelly and Randle El. And I'll add that opposing teams have figured out that if you double Moss on first down and double Cooley on third down, no one else is really going to beat you.

The pass protection is often spotty and, especially when Campbell tries to survey the field and make multiple reads on deep patterns, he usually ends up running for his life before he can even look to the secondary targets (that's killing the vertical presence). And then, when Clinton Portis is really banged up and the Redskins fall behind by even a few scores early and have to chase the game, everything gets magnified because they lose the play-action threat, Campbell gets crushed because he has to drop back too much and the offense implodes.

I asked Zorn about having few receivers to trust, pass-protection breakdowns, drops, having to get too one-dimensional when falling behind, and the cumulative impact that has on anyone's ability to be an effective quarterback. "All of those things are very true," Zorn said.

But, sure, there is room for improvement. Campbell made a short throw on the interception. He missed his reads a few times. He could have made a few better decisions. But he also protected the football well, made some great throws that were dropped and was elusive in the pocket against the rush.

Some fans are saying that Jason is not enough of a "leader" or not "fiery" enough. No one in the huddle has complained to me privately or publicly about the kid's makeup or actions. They have confidence in him. He is a unifying presence on the team.

He is cool under pressure. The people trying to compare him to Brett Favre or whomever else they deem to have the ideal on-field mentality are the same people who would be calling for him to benched after putting up the kind of interception numbers Favre puts up. Quarterbacks come in different shapes and sizes, and with different demeanors. Campbell commands his teammates' attention and respect, and manages an offense with some outsized personalities. (Portis and Cooley, to name two). There are a slew of guys on that side of the ball earning a ton more than Jason and with way more years of experience as starters. The quarterback doesn't have to be cracking heads all the time.

Let's not forget that Todd Collins has serious mobility issues (though he does have a quicker release), which would be a real problem with this line. He has not thrown a ball to most of these receivers, with Campbell getting all the practice reps, and he looked pretty awful at times in the preseason trying to adjust to this new system. Al Saunders isn't in the building anymore, and the offense has changed.

Even if, somehow, Collins could recapture his magic from last December, remember that this team could run the table - highly unlikely in and of itself - and still miss the playoffs. Campbell has never had a full season in which to evolve and to strip him of it for a 37-year-old career backup makes no sense. To say nothing of the fact that Campbell's play does not merit a benching, regardless of the back-up options.

So what are the arguments for Collins?

He's more accurate? Collins completed 63.8 percent of his passes during his four games in the regular season last season. Campbell is completing 63.8 percent of his passes this season. Collins, for all the mystique of those games, threw for 888 yards. Campbell, even given the plight of this offense, has thrown for 826 yards over the past four games, essentially the same thing.

Collins got the ball in the end zone five times down the stretch in 2007, but he, unlike Campbell, wasn't facing three of the better pass-rushing defenses in the four-week span(let's remember the losses came to Pittsburgh, Dallas and the Giants, not exactly the Bengals and Lions). Yes, there are problems in the red zone, but it's a lack of playmakers, not the quarterback.

Patience is required in grooming a young quarterback. I realize, with the cycle of guys being run in and out behind center for the last 15-20 years, that that could be an new concept, but it's reality. A year ago Eli Manning was a bum (I was one of the people saying it), and Sunday he was an absolute star and might be heading to another Super Bowl. And he entered the league a year before Jason and started almost right away. He has had almost total stability in terms of coaches and system and plays behind the best offensive line in the game and best running game.

It just takes a little time.

I find it odd that a team that has over-achieved in terms of its record in the eyes of many, is allegedly being held back by the same QB who was among the top eight in the NFL at the midpoint of the season. I'm not buying it. Not even close. Fundamental issues of personnel and scheme adjustment are overarching principles, and no one player is going to overcome that.

To retard the development of Campbell, again, just to hand the team over to Todd Collins strikes me as absurd. This season, realistically, was never about winning the Super Bowl, or even winning the division. They weren't built for that. It's about building a solid program and growing into an offense and identity on that side of the ball that could stand up over time, and developing a quarterback who has the physical and mental tools to be very good for years to come.

Don't lose sight of that.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 1, 2008; 2:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn's Injury Report: Portis 'Really Sore'
Next: Zorn Defends Scheme (but Hints at Changes)

Comments

Re the end of FFL
That means one thing Sween,

RIers must find a new thing to prepare to waste time with.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I say if we lose to the Ravens, we won't make the playoffs, so Zorn should give Colt the last three games.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"It's about building a solid program and growing into an offense and identity on that side of the ball that could stand up over time, and developing a quarterback who has the physical and mental tools to be very good for years to come.

Don't lose sight of that."

Jasno -- sounds like your read on the season -- I'd be curious as to what the front office genuinely felt (perhaps privately) as to the expectations for 2008.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

F'ing thank you JLC.

Somebody with some sense posting.

There are many, many, many serious issues with this team - and particularly with this offense. Campbell is NOT one of them.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree whole heartedly with this statement
"To retard the development of Campbell, again, just to hand the team over to Todd Collins strikes me as absurd. This season, realistically, was never about winning the Super Bowl, or even winning the division."

I mean really folks.. Did you think we was winning the superbowl???? I mean yall know damn well the line was suspect on both sides of the ball from DAY ONE! If it ended today this would be a very decent season all things considered. Lets keep building and hopefully they make good decisions in the off season to keep going in the right direction... NO REASON TO TEAR IT ALL DOWN NOW!..

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You want to become the laughing stock of the nfl put COLT or COLLINS in there.. I will show you a VERY BAD OFFENSE!!!! Probably like 5 interceptions a game....

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 1, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

****Fantasy Post******

4th, unless Slaton gets 37 points, you win. Thats a 2td, 200 yards kind of game. Like the game Michael Turner had for you in the first week -- vs me

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 1, 2008 3:04 PM

Ahhh, that was you! I remember that game very well!

***End Post But Expect Another Until Redskins Conversation Changes*****

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 1, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

PACKERS PUNTING FROST
Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2008, 3:09 p.m.
Packers coach Mike McCarthy said on Monday that the team will release punter Derrick Frost.

The team doesn’t have a replacement in mind; we suspect they’ll host a Gong Show tryout on Tuesday. Available punters that come to mind are Josh Miller, Todd Sauerbrun, and Paul Ernster.

Frost is averaging 42.1 yards per punt, with a net of 36.1.

He previously spent three years with the Redskins and two before that with the Browns.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 1, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Daggarforracialjustice = troll....Please don't feed.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 1, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Daggarforracialjustice is the only person on this blog that makes sense 100% of the time.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 1, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 1, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

if campbell had a solid o line and recievers who could get open and hold on to balls he would be having a pro bowl season. remember he went half the season without an int. anyone who thinks colt should be starting is foolish

Posted by: amsaul | December 1, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate Snyder, I think he's a moron but I don't hate him. He'll spend money on players, he's tried his best at coaching hires, and he handled the ST tragedy very well. As a person I like Dan, as an owner, his biggest failing has been he has never committed to the traditional GM coach deal until now and now he has Vinny who I absolutely do hate.

I've listened to Vinny's show, he's arrogant, he angrily always tries to defend his stupid decisions, and he just doesn't get it.

I don't think being a fan means I have to "shut up and support the team" when there is zero evidence over the last 15 years or so that this team has earned the benefit of the doubt. I get that Snyder will be the owner for the foreseeable future, and I'm fine with that, what I hope for/pray for and think can and should change in the very near future is the complete overhaul of the front office and a real GM brought in.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Great story Jason.

FDAGGARACMJLC !

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

***Fantasy Post***

Sween - We think alike, hence me picking up Turner EARLY. Like 3rd or 4th round early.

I also had Tom Brady and didn't pick up any other QB. Wow in a 16 team league.....

I survived with Sage Rosenfields and ryan Fitzpatrick! Now, the Raiders QB is my man......

Plus, I picked up the Minny kicker EARLY because I knew they couldn't score TDs, but they they do kick a lot of Field Goals,,,,,

********End FF Post again For now*******

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Mark this down. Monday, December 1, 2008. JLC writes a post I actually 100% agree with.

>...I thought this day would never come. >

Posted by: Predator48 | December 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

All of you need to shut the trap "GOD" gave you, and let the coaches do there jobs. 99% don't make the money these palyers, so you want to throw a stink bomb on them. Remember you're just fan a !

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 1, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is the time where I start my "Re-sign Campbell" campaign.

The guys is at his lowest value since the season began. He won't go any lower as this or next year progresses. Try to strike a deal that provides salary cap flexibility. Begin the negotiations...

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Mark this down. Monday, December 1, 2008. Daggarforracialjustice writes a comment I actually 100% agree with.

>...I thought this day would never come. >

Posted by: Predator48 | December 1, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 1, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

All the problems we are having this year we had last year until Collins went in. The maligned receivers were suddenly scoring touchdowns. The "old line" was suddenly solid again. System qb or not, I'm sure Collins would do a better job of quickly going through his reads and getting rid of the ball. JC locks onto Moss, then double clutches when he's covered -- it's painful to watch. Other receivers are open and he's not finding them -- again, it's just like last year.

That said, I don't think a switch at this point would make much sense. Better to use the rest of the season to keep evaluating JC and hope he gets better.

But thank God we didn't give him a big contract extension earlier in the season. I love the kid, but I'm far from convinced he's the answer. In fact, he could be the problem.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | December 1, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I got from yall on THE DRAFT :

Avoid DE's in the first round this year. We're in the big boy football division and light DE's don't work (see : Jason Taylor). Micheal Johnson, George Selvie, Brian Orakpo will all be more speed rushing DE's, and we don't need that. I like Johnson and Selvie a lot and they'll have good careers, but not in the NFC East.

Offensive line needs to be the first priority. There's a big drop off from 1-3 round talent to the rest in the O line. I'm 100% sold on Alex Mack, C as the 1st pick if he's available. He's a stud center that is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Now, it would be nice to have a 2nd round pick and we could go C-LB-G in the draft, but obviously not gonna happen.

3rd round will have good LB's (Dannell Ellerbe, Mike Jenkins) and OL (Phil Loadholt, Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson). Depends on what you want, I say OL so you have a new center, another new rookie on the line, and I say you plug Heyer in to see how it works out, along with possibly Chad Rhinehart and you're looking at a whole new line.

Heyer
Rhinehart
Mack
another rookie

that's a whole new, young OL and you can basically (hopefully) scratch the OL off the checklist as an area of need.

The added bonus is that you can then see what you got with JC and the WR's.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Great post. Like the Insider information on what guys in the huddle are saying. I just hope they're not saying it while Jason Campbell's trying to talk.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 1, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Post by: JLaC

-------------

This is the non-question question I said JLaC asked earlier and I feel that he is portraying this very different than what Zorn said. JZ gave a long winded answer that went around the world.

So, even though he said 'This is very true' he also had a lot to add to the reasoning behind it. So, in conclusion, look at the presser yourself.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 1, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm 100% sold on Alex Mack, C as the 1st pick if he's available

What school does he play for?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 1, 2008 3:36 PM

I wonder if he's phoned Jasno yet to complain about the Packers' GM not giving him a fair chance?

And why don't the Packers bring Brooks in for a tryout? I'm betting Brooks is back in Redskins training camp next year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 1, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Beantown: CAL

Posted by: chrislarry | December 1, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

ohh great thanks jasno for your great analysis of this FOOTBALL team's qb, you think now is a good time to re-sign jc to a multi-million dollar deal???? cuz you know what they say "buy low, sell high!"....

btw...all the jc backers, please turn in your excuses for this year for the final excuse of the year. there can only be one. your choices this year are much like last year, shockingly!:

1. pass pro
2. 8th different system in 8 different years
3. only his 30+ start
4. portis hurt
5. rookie head coach

ohh and you'll be given a bonus "wow just wow!" for participating to wave against non-Real fans who doubt jc's ability after 3 years!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Awesome post JC, no argument here, this team is who we thought it was. Let's hope beantown is right and Kelly and Thomas develop into hall of famers and this front office is able to identify the right people to sign this offseason to rebuild our front seven and our oline. (since they chose to ignore it with their 10 picks last year)

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

didn't read this post

I'll read it again if it mentions Leigh Torrence's loss affecting the passing game

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

zj, don't remember ever saying they were HOF material. Just said throw them the ball and lets see what they can do.

CL, thanks. My point was to see if someone was pushing their uga agenda again...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"All the problems we are having this year we had last year until Collins went in."

And they popped right back up during the playoffs. Don't let one 4-game stretch fool you. There's a reason Zorn/Vinny/Snyder/Gibbs all had Campbell as a starter over Collins. Hell, they had Brunell as a starter over Collins as well. Collins couldn't even get a sniff of a starting job during his FA offseason, even with Saunders taking his offense to STL.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Hope this post silences the CoC'ers for at least a week. I thought for a minute I'd have to revert back to my old name 'The Anti-Colt' and start throwing holy water all over this blog.

Be Gone! The power of Zorn compels you!....The power of Zorn compels you!

Posted by: Predator48 | December 1, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are 7-5 good...not 10-2 good. They're okay, pretty good, might-make-the-playoffs-but-probably-not good...but they're not great and the QB ain't the problem. Neither is the RB. Neither is the coach. The WRs could be better...but are Tennessee's WRs any better? No. Their lines are better. Both of them. A lot better.

Wilbon is right on the money. All Skins fans who think otherwise are simply deluding themselves.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 1, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Alex Mack plays for Cal

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

its not JC, its not totally our recievers, i think its protection and an inability to mold our scheme around our players...

if devin thomas can't learn the whole playbook...utilize the part that HE HAS LEARNED...

Its good to see Kelly on the field. I think eventually these two guys (thomas and kelly) will be very solid for a long time...

Posted by: carsonspence | December 1, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"btw...all the jc backers, please turn in your excuses for this year for the final excuse of the year."

My excuse:

5:2 TD:INT ratio, 64% pass completion

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

for the record i only want one person benched: vinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the rest is just plain masking the real pain.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

All the changes in the world won't happen without a good GM: WHICH WE AIN'T GOT!!!!

Could anyone do as badly from year to year on his job as Vinny Cerrato does and keep it?

Watching the Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo run the same style of attacking, run-stuffing defense yesterday that the Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, and Cowboys run made me realize that Zorn has yet to beat it...so much for the MidWest Offense.....

....I'm ready for the off-season...free agency chatter anyone....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"But let's keep hearing the same old ignorant "analysis", you know, "he holds the ball too long", "he can't read defenses", "he's not smart", etc.

Posted by: psps23

well you can't completely discount those beliefs. I'd say they were a couple times Sunday I saw him holding onto the ball too long when the OL did actually give him time.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Eli was able as most other QB's against us to pat the ball due to a lack of pass rush. I wish we had a line to give JC that time. Brett Farve is able to get rid of it in 1.3 seconds, but he is Farve.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 1, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Best post from JLC in a long long time. Well said. Colt looked like poo against the Georgia Dawgs...how's he going to look against the Ravens and Eagles? Campbell needs to be locked up 7 years, 70 million tomorrow to end this nonsense.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 1, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't it odd that from the Cowboys to the Eagles to the Giants, starters get hurt, backups come in and hold the fort, but with the Skins, the same old guys who start the year finish beat up to end it?

Posted by: MistaMoe "

you must've missed the Cowboys about, what, 3 or 4 weeks ago?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

How do you shoot yourself in the leg and plead "not guilty" to gun possession?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 1, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The same way the former President did not have sex with that woman Monica Lewinsky!

Posted by: captjim | December 1, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

let me say I'm a big JC fan and I think he'll be solid

but

say Cassell gets a couple wins in the playoffs, should we consider going after him?

just playing devil's advocate

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Truth, no we should not go after Cassell.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

First of all, the Pats will "franchise" cassell. So we're not giving up 2 number one's for this guy. Even if they didn't, he'll follow the OC to whatever team gets hired at. Detroit, KC, St. Louis? Don't even bring Cassell into this at all.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 1, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11

Again, the entire situation must be taken into account. If he held the ball too long and missed an open WR, then it's a legit concern. If he held the ball too long because no WR was open, then it's a coverage sack. And my guess is with Zorn calling out his WRs after the game, criticizing them for being unable to get separation, the latter is more often the case.

I'm not saying Campbell is perfect. He can certainly improve. But he's far from being a significant problem with this offense. It goes waaay beyond him.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

JC Contract comparing to his piers
In terms of yards: JC is below Eli Manning and above Romo

Eli Manning- Manning signed a six-year, $45-million deal in 2004 that included $20
Tony Romo- Signed a six-year, $67.4 million contract extension through 2013

In terms of QB raiting JC is below Favre and above Cutlre

Favre- 12 million base
Jay Cutler- 7/27/2006: Signed a six-year, $47.86 million contract

I say we look to signing a 5 year contract backlogged in terms of how it pays out to a total of 50 million with a big chunk in signing bonus. Thinking like pay 4 mill year 1, 5-6 mill year 2 (by then we know if he will be the franchise QB.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

At last....something I agree on with JLC.

Geez....we have lost to 4 really good teams (and one that was pumped due to a coaching change) and have achieved more than any of us thought possible at the beginning of the year and now the sky is falling???

Start Collins for the last 4 games? Idiotic.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 1, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"I put a lot on him [Jason Campbell] to be right all the time," Zorn said of his expectations, "... and he knows that I think he can really do it."

------------

"I put a lot on her [Kari Strug] to be right all the time," Karoly said of his expectations, "... and she knows that I think she can really do it."

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey TheTruth: the truth is the Cowboys are 8-3 and getting into a playoff groove-- that's my point (I don't like'em either, but they're handling their bizness, partner). We need depth like Plaxico needs a defense lawyer.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

he's not smart??????? no one says "he's not smart." we usually say the dude is a bit slooooooooooooooooooooooow. thus better with the long ball cuz they take longer to develop (ohh dinks and dunks don't count).

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

So here is what the jints OL is made of. 3 draft picks, 2 undrafted. No 1st round picks. Oldest is 31. Just goes to show that high draft picks aren't the key to a good OL.

McKenzie 3rd round age 29
Snee 2nd round age 26
O'Hara age 31
Seubert age 29
Diehl 5th round age 28

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 1, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I love how all of the idiots espose that the cowboys are "back". Since Romo came back, they have beaten 2 sorry teams from the NFC West, and barely got by the (I'll say it) mediocre Redksins. Pittsburgh is going to knock the snot out of them this week. I just hope Ryan Clark doesn't get suspended for that hit on Wes Welker yesterday.....looks like he is out for blood this year....Cowboys receivers might get a little case of alligator arms when they see Clark and Polamalu back there.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 1, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, even if they're handling it, I'm guessing that Dallas is going to get their bizness handed back to them by Pittsburgh, then the New York football Giants, then Baltimore.

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"Collins couldn't even get a sniff of a starting job during his FA offseason, even with Saunders taking his offense to STL."

But both St Louis and Jacksonville offered him the same amount of money we did -- three mil a year -- to come backup Garrard and Bulger. Clearly Saunders and Williams both thought a lot of the guy. In fact, and I'm sure JLC would confirm this if he didn't have such a mancrush on Campbell, one of the many reasons Gregg didn't get the head job here is that he wanted to make it an open competition at QB.

And this "Todd sucked against" Seattle excuse is just classic. The guy loses a game against a team that never loses at home in the playoffs and suddenly we all forget how great he looked the month before. Not to mention he had us up 14 to 13 before a Cooley drop and a Suisham miss sent things into the crapper.

I'm not saying we should bench JC. I like the kid and hope he gets better, but it just kills me how many excuses are made for him while Collins -- who only saved Joe Gibbs legacy -- never gets a break from anyone. For God sakes, we are averaging eight points a game at home the past month. 90 percent of the qbs in the league would be benched for that. At least for a half.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | December 1, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Mistamoe, Cowboys 8-3? Not on your life...8-4 and heading to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 1, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Truth, no we should not go after Cassell.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

If we can't get more than 20 points against San Fran and Cincy, and Cassell has a good playoff run.....absolutely! I like JC, I think he's decent, but I don't think he's multiple 400 yard passing games good, and JC aint a kid anymore he's been here a while and I like, I certainly don't think he's benchable for Colt or TC, but if he can't play well against those bad defenses and then maybe its time to take a look around and see what's out there.

I mean, I see Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan winning games and they haven't even been in the NFL for a year and Roddy White is the only legit receiver on either team and neither team has as good a TE as Cooley and lets not forget, JC does have one of the best running backs in the league on his side. So far, JC has proven he's a good QB, he has to play well against Cincy and San Fran when it counts or else it might be time to look at upgrading on him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

just playing devil's advocate

Posted by: TheTruth11

You could put Joe Montana, Doug Williams(Super Bowl Doug), John Elway or any other top QB behind that O-line and they'd look as bad as Roseanne sounds singing the National Anthem.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 1, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Collins saved the season last year and got rewarded this year for it. He's a great security blanket, but Campbell is the future here. No doubt or question about it.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 1, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:15 PM

Cassell didn't design his playbook, doesn't call his own plays, and he isn't throwing to himself.

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Rush Limbaugh (yes, I know) noted the other day that "parity" in the NFL means that all teams have an equal shot at the draft. "The good teams depend on the mediocre teams making mistakes in the draft," says he. So that's how the good teams improve—their front office guys are smarter.

Where I part company with the sportswriter and many on this thread is that because of the lame front office I do not see improvement coming any time soon. It's like the Washington Nationals, Wizards, etc. To improve takes a smart front office. The Shredskins do not have one.

Oh, Well.

Posted by: JohnRVA | December 1, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

the jints drafted just 3 guards and 3 tackles since 2000 (65 picks). They drafted 14 d-linemen, including Osi, Tuck and Kiwanuka. And Cornelius Griffin ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 1, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who doesn't realize that you need time to throw the football & Campbell certainly doesn't have that 75% of the time, might as well be asking to put Brunell in there. Colt, really? I'm sure he's definitely ready to go in...ok.

Posted by: Foosball9 | December 1, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

That is EXACTLY the type of armchair GM stuff that will doom a team.

Take a 7th round pick, Cassell, trade him for multiple first day picks.

Campbell is what 26 or 27? By "aint a kid anymore" did you want players who were still in diapers?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"it just kills me how many excuses are made for him while Collins -- who only saved Joe Gibbs legacy -- never gets a break from anyone"

Posted by: MylesMonroe

Um, sorry, you're the one holding the double standard.

"The guy loses a game against a team that never loses at home in the playoffs and suddenly we all forget how great he looked the month before. Not to mention he had us up 14 to 13 before a Cooley drop and a Suisham miss sent things into the crapper."

Wait a minute... dropped passes? Missed FGs? Losing to great teams? Gosh, it all sounds so familiar...

NEITHER of these guys can win when these problems pop up. When Campbell has protection and his WRs are making plays, this team wins 4 straight games against winning teams, and potential playoff teams. Same with Collins last year. When they DON'T have protection or their WRs are NOT making plays, they struggle against good competition.

There is nothing that makes me believe Collins would have any success whatsoever in the same situation Campbell has been put in the last 4 weeks. Nothing. Collins was great last year, nobody is taking that away from him. But he is not a better QB than Campbell. Not even close.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

No way is he worth it IF he gets franchised, but they have Tom Brady on an expensive contract, there is no way they are going to franchise their backup and pay him top 5 money at his position (QB is the highest paid position in the league) to be a backup, aint gonna happen. Cassell will hit the market.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:20 PM

But can he block for himself?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 1, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's see if I have this right:

Redskins for several years ignore the draft for the most part, and build thru free-agency, with mostly poor results.

Fans: "stop trying to make a fantasy team, and build through the draft. Show some patience, and get some young guys in here!"

That was most of us.

Redskins ignore free agency for the most part this past year, with the only major signing made after a year ending injury to their starting DE. They hold ten picks, after trading down to INCREASE their draft picks.

Fans: "Why aren't we better TODAY?! Why aren't the draft picks producing now?! This draft was a bust, and we didn't immediately improve!"

Conclusion: Fans have become "Old Snyder", the man they love to hate.

By the way: Fans here in the D.C. area stink. The stadium was half full for the ceremony, which is pathetic. Leave earlier, no excuses. No wonder we can't win at home, what with the whine and cheese crowd we have these days.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 1, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

zj, you think Bill Belichick, and Scott Pioli, two of the foremost minds in the game today, are going to let Cassell walk, with NOTHING in return?

I have land, and lots of it I need to sell....you interested?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge critic of JLC at times, but I will digress from now on.

Spot on. Thanks. These people ARE the same people that would hate him if he threw like favre.
They're beer swillin chumps, rude fans, who vomit on the buses, shout offensive thigns at games who don't understand the game.
Let's not forget the other, seedier side of some of these folks: I'm convinced that Jason C's slow, southern speech and black skin is being given the Warren Moon treatment...it's subtle, but it's there "he's not smart enough to be quarterback".

Its despicable, it's dumb.

Posted by: kreator6996 | December 1, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

No 'idiots are sayin' the Cowboys are back.' The point is our divisional foes are built to withstand injuries. I mean, could we shut down Portis and rely on Betts like the Jints with Jacobs? No and hell no. And until Cerrato is sent packing the general philosophy for team building stays the same... and so will the lack of quality backups who star on special teams and can be plugged in with people go down.

And yes: I like Jason Campbell--but I'd try to pry Matt Cassell away from the Pats in a heartbeat. I think Jason has a strong arm but no touch: and that's an issue not related to "system changes". Watching Joe Flacco this weekend might change a lot of folks mind about Campbell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

still say we should've traded Todd Collins last off-season and maybe picked up two backups in the draft (would've been better than a punter!).

Could've got what's-his-name from Kentucky and Colt Brennan really late in the draft (Kentucky QB Andre ?? (can never remember his last name) went after Brennan.)

and yes I DID actually think we should've traded Collins this past offseason. He could've got a decent value. After this year? Not so much. He was hot at the time and people thought he could get it done.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Cassell still worth it if it costs the Redskins a first and third, or 2-Firsts??

That is EXACTLY the type of armchair GM stuff that will doom a team.

Take a 7th round pick, Cassell, trade him for multiple first day picks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg "

it's not armchair GMing, Cassell is a Free Agent next year and he's probably the highest profile FA int he league.

and again, I was just playing devil's advocate.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 1, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Cassell will hit the market.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:25 PM

And hopefully has a solid career in Kansas City ... or Minnesota ... or San Francisco ... or Oakland ... or someplace that really is motivated by need to pay for his services.

Jack, you have otherwise had a SOLID day of posting and reasonableness and thought ... why spoil it on Matt Cassell? This time of year last year, this is what people were saying about Derek Anderson.

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I would not go for Castle as I am gonna bet he ends up taking a nose dive next year.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

why are we calling for players heads for the 15th year in a row? pure sillyness.

i really really really really hope jc doesn't get hurt in the balmer game and todd collins saves the year and prolongs the agony known as the vinny! ohh god please don't let jc get hurt!!! that's what i want for christmas this year. for jc to not get hurt.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, could we shut down Portis and rely on Betts like the Jints with Jacobs? No and hell no"

Really, you wanna try that one again?? Ever heard of 2006, when Betts ran for over 1000 yards in only 8 games?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

**** FF ****

If I get into the playoffs, I'm liking my lineup for round 1. Got Rivers against Oakland. My backs, LenDale and D. Williams, go up against Cleveland and Tampa( OK, that one is tough). My WRs Wayne and Fitzgerald go against Cin and StL. Owen Daniels goes against GB.

Its my GB defense (vs Houston) thats a problem, with -6 points in the last two weeks. At least its in GB.

My flex options are all decent. Bess of Miami vs Buf, C. Taylor vs Det, Brandon Jones vs Cle, Fred Jackson vs Mia and Devery Henderson vs ATL. Nothing great, but should be OK with those. I'm leaning to Taylor at present.

**** end FF post ****

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 1, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Truth, I think The Todd may have been a free agent at the end of last season. Also, Andre Woodson. Finally, add Detroit to a list of teams where Cassell could/should get paid and have a job for a while.

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

As always, a dead-on post.

It's amazing that fans (me included) who have zero football experience, aren't scouts or television analysts, don't coach, and for all intents and purposes, know pretty much nothing about what TRULY happens on the football field and in practice, can make assertions or outright demands pertaining to position changes as critical at the QB.

But that's what makes this blog go around, right? It ain't a bad thing at all. It just seems that we, as fans, forget that we are just that: fans.

Posted by: Cobain | December 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 1, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Its the way they drafted, no young talent except one guard at the core of the team, a punter already cut, two wideouts who need some time obviously, a tight end who needs an alarm clock to wake up and realize he's in the NFL, CB that looks terrible when we already had 3 good corners which is more than most teams, and then some late round fliers.....not good enough!

And Beantown, as you say do you think the foremost minds in the league are going to pay top five QB money to a backup? They aren't going to, they may try to resign him but there's no way they franchise him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Am i right in saying that the Pats basically run the spread offense and no one else in the NFL does that right now.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 1, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Mr Zorn,
Let us see Campbell work a no huddle 2 minute drill from the gun??? Maybe if we change tempp and run something the defense isn't expecting (and believe-you-me, defenses won't be expecting it), we can have success and our WR's can get some separation and actually wear down a defense??? We can also add in a few of those draw plays that also seem to soften a D. Maybe we won't be in 2nd and 8's, 9's & 3rd & longs??? Maybe the defense won't be able to sub in personnel and get caught??? Maybe we can get some RAC and a play that covers 20+ yards??? Maybe then, JUST MAYBE....we can get a rhythm on offense???? and score multiple TD's.

Posted by: gregskins | December 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

(Kentucky QB Andre ?? (can never remember his last name) went after Brennan.)

Kentucky what's his name was cut by the Giants a few weeks back, we could go get him right now if we wanted to.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

zj, you listen to, and get the local paper up here in Boston?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

greg, they used no huddle yesterday and had no effect.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Matt Cassel won't do anything on any other team. He's Todd Collins 2.0. Great for his system, great with a great supporting cast. He's not a franchise QB, except for the Patriots. And the Patriots already have one of those.

Posted by: psps23 | December 1, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 1, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I have this recollection about Baltimore having to come up with a makeshift secondary ... Chris McAlister out ... Samari Rolle super banged up ... and most of their offensive line being a rebuilt (compared to the opening day lineup) ... am I misremembering this? Is all of this hullaballoo just about the Raven's linebackers? [Kind of like the Philly hullaballoo?]

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 1, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I love what Betts did in 06 but this is not 06, and whats he done this year vs then?

Well lets see the #s
G:GS:Att:YDS:Avg:Lng:TD:F
2008 9: 0:45:167:3.7:14:1:1
2007 16:0:93:335:3.6:20:1:1
2006 16:9:245:1,154:4.7:26:4:6

So he has been down 1 ypc, he is getting less carries though and this is his first year seriously injured.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 1, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | December 1, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

dc, not saying it has to be Cassell, just saying while I like JC, this the the Not For Long league where there are no sacred cows, if he can't put up points against Cincy and San Fran (two of the worst defenses in the league) than I have no problem with them bringing in some competition at QB.

We still have JC under contract for another year, I'm saying he out to be pushed by somebody other than an 80 year old immobile weak armed system career backup. Maybe Colt is that guy, I don't think so though, if JC has good to great games against Cincy and San Fran, and is ok against Bmore and Philly then you role with him, if the offense continues to look inept down the stretch and he doesn't "flash" against those terrible D's then I say get some legit competition in here and make him earn his spot.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 1, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

No 'idiots are sayin' the Cowboys are back.' ......
Posted by: MistaMoe | December 1, 2008 4:27 PM

Try watching any of the ESPN channels, NFL network, ESPN dot com or NFL dot com and tell me that nobody is hyping them up as great since Romo came back....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 1, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"still say we should've traded Todd Collins last off-season"

And I still say since he was a free agent we couldn't trade him.............

Posted by: chrislarry | December 1, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

that didn't look like no huddle to me. that was panic/defeated mode. it was even methodical with no sense of urgency.

Posted by: gregskins | December 1, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

The stats for JC are misleading. The most important stat for the offense is scoring, and the redskins are near the bottom in that category.

JC completes a high percentage because he will throw to the open short receiver even when the situation, i.e. 3rd and long, requires the longer pass. He is so inaccurate that the short receiver is out of position when we makes the catch and has no chance to make the necessary YAC.

Posted by: mfamrf | December 1, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Why do you fail to mention the balls thrown to Moss that he should have had and he got his hands on but couldn't pull it in? I think every single one of our receivers are under achieving and I include Moss in that list. The guy has the skills to dominate but never seems to make the plays that we see Steve Smith and Greg Jennings and others making. Moss is super fast but has very average hands and while Kelly, ARE, and Thrash dropped balls, Moss is just as guilty. The receivers, in my opinion, are the biggest culprit in the anemic offense right now; the offensive line played well enough to win yesterday and Campbell is not the problem...

Posted by: hender_22 | December 1, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

I don't know if anyone is talking about one other difference between December 2007 and 2008 when Collins shined. Third wideout Reche Caldwell proved to be a reliable option when Moss, Cooley, and Randle El were covered. Thrash is a great guy but won't be on the team next year (he is nothing special at this point at WR). Unfortunately, even if he is better than the rookie show ponies selected by Cerrato in the second round, they won't get rid of the youngsters (see Tryon, Justin for Torrance, Leigh).

If only they could rebuild both lines, the linebacking corps, and add a true #1 in the offseason (pushing Moss to #2 and Randle El to #3 where they rightfully belong at this stage of their respective careers, even if both are paid #1 money). That is what we're facing friends.

Not only will Vinnie be in charge, we've traded a 2nd and 7th (for DEs Taylor and James, respectively) so we're left with only five draft picks.

I'm afraid I'll be much more grey if and when the front office and the team finally turns the corner. By then, Portis, Moss, and Randle El may be gone.

In the words of Colonel Kurtz in Apocolypse Now, THE HORROR!

Posted by: knk4jack | December 1, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Again, benching JC is probably not the best idea, but man oh man, how many times in the past couple games has he stared down at Moss and then awkwardly double-clutched waiting for Moss to hopefully to get open when he should be looking at the rest of the field instead? He's not going through his reads on a regular basis and I'm worried he just doesn't process information on the field fast enough -- Ramsey had the same problem.

The offensive line ain't good. Jansen is a huge liability. And the receivers aren't scaring many people, but plenty of qbs are doing more with less. We are scoring eight points a game at home the past month, folks. That is criminal.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | December 1, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

***This season, realistically, was never about winning the Super Bowl, or even winning the division. They weren't built for that. It's about building a solid program and growing into an offense and identity on that side of the ball that could stand up over time, and developing a quarterback who has the physical and mental tools to be very good for years to come.

Don't lose sight of that.***

That is unquestionably the most intelligent thing i have ever seen you write.

Kinda makes me wonder about the Leigh Torrence crush all the more. That is probably the stupidest thing you continually harp on, but there are others in the running.

Damn its still a drag that Crummey got claimed. He could have been part of the Oline youth movement that needs to come. And in my opinion it will.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 1, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

For all you guys calling for a Matt Cassell signing, do any of you remember Scott Mitchell? In 1993, Dan Marino, ruptured his achilles tendon in a game at Cleveland. Scott Mitchell, replaced him and took the leauge by storm. He was a free agent, the Detroit Lions won a bidding war, payed him big bucks, and signed him to be their starting QB. He never came close to playing like he did in Miami and next to Wayne Fontes and Matt Millen, may be the most hated person associated with the Lions.

Posted by: nicefellow31 | December 1, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | December 1, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, did you even read the article?

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | December 1, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I really like Jason Campbell, and it would be great if he were the most talented person for the job on the team. However, I think that, certainly in the offseason, we should open the competition up to allow Colt Brennan, as well as Todd Collins, to have a fair chance to become the starters. John Madden certainly thinks, as I do, that Colt Brennan has a natural spark and ability as a quarterback that is remarkable. zorn didn't want Campbell to be distracted by competition this year, and that was a legitimate stance under the circumstances. But going forward, in the offseason, we should simply see who is the best quarterback, and not just ensconce someone, anoint someone, and close down the competition.

Posted by: shane2229 | December 1, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

NOT Odd Collins... if we're gonna call out JLC, let's get a good look at the COLT! Kills me to say it, but i bet he shakes things up!

Posted by: isthatyourhusband | December 1, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has to much to handle, Coach, play-calling, and making a franchise quarterback? Let him focus on the offense and JC. Make him an OC and bring in COWHER!!

Posted by: JohnnyMcDuff | December 1, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

This is a really well written analysis of what is going on (and long overdue!), and an excellent defense of Campbell.

Portis takes away just as much as he gives. There is energy blockage there, for sure. There are attitude problems. I didn't see the game, but I read about the point after, and man, that about says it all.

Campbell is doing his best. It's not HIS personality that is hurting this team.

The only criticism I have of this blog entry, is that if you read the comments boards of the WaPo, it is not Collins people are clamoring after, sir, it is Colt Brennan.

Or one person with multiple alias clamoring for him.

Shame you didn't address that here...

Otherwise, excellent analysis

Posted by: columbiard | December 1, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

People really need to stop bashing thomas kelly and davis... it is kind of ridiculous to expect them to come in and be stars. Yes i agree they have been pretty useless up to now... but lets remember that most wrs take 3 years to develop. Now i know no one wants to wait that long, but in the long run its not fair to say that anyone is a bust in their rookie year. Mario Williams anyone? He was mediocre at best his rookie year and is now one of the best dlman in the game. Plaxico Burress? He was a no show in big games for his entire career until last year... it takes time for people to develop and its annoying to hear fans week after week say that thomas and kelly aren't any good.... WHO KNOWS they have 12 games of experience... and Kelly has been hurt for more than half of them... so just shutup about it

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | December 2, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Good article. With JC's limited experience he needs more time to go through the reads - and time he does not have. It has the whole offense stunted to 10 yards and under. Then add the drops - which always seem to happen at critical times.

It's the lines folks, both of them. If you have any of the recent games recorded watch 'em back and focus on the line play. Someone (or two) is always getting blown up - and that's all it takes to throw a play off.

Posted by: kone | December 2, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Todd Collins is not the answer fair weather Redskin nation! He has no mobility or awareness in the pocket and the major problem is not Campbell its the Redskin offensive line.
If any of you saw the game against the Giants our offensive line is slow and old, Jansen needs and should be benched immediately, if Samiuels is 40% does this mean we do not have a reserve offensive lineman with fresh legs that can fill in for a couple weeks?

I would like to see Zorn roll out the pocket more for Campbell and employ more 2 tight end sets with Cooley and Fred Davis...And what has happened to screen passes when you play blitz happy teams why not try more....All you idiots who wanted Betts watch what happenes he cannot block nor does he have awareness and he fumbles so I say give him a shot an rest Portis since Portis is maybe 40% healthy, and give Rock Cartwright some carries too. Suddenly this offense looks a lot like Gibbs II which sucked. Zorn needs to just attack the field especially the middle and go deep like he did about a month ago.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | December 2, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse