Largent: Zorn's faith, strength will be intact

"Obviously, I'm not an unbiased observer of what's taken place," said the voice on the phone. "I'm very biased, I'm very pro-Jim."

The voice belongs to Steve Largent, the Hall of Fame wide receiver who happens to be one of Jim Zorn's best friends. We spoke last week, before Zorn's final game as Washington's coach and before the Redskins fired Zorn on Monday.

Largent and Zorn were teammates in Seattle and have been close friends for 30 years. The two spoke on the phone at least a couple of times each week and together dissected every turbulent turn in this tumultuous season. That gives Largent a unique insider perspective into how the season unfolded. In an interview last week, among other things, Largent spoke about how the year affected Zorn, what he thought about Vinny Cerrato's bizarre parting shot and how Zorn really feels about team owner Daniel Snyder.

Question: From your perspective, how'd Zorn do this year?

Largent: I say he's done a fantastic job of keeping his coaches and players motivated. It seems to be kind of falling apart these past couple of weeks, but he's done a good job of maintaining his composure and poise. I think he's been able to maintain the players' respect, and that's hard to do when you see a season going south.

Question: Have you noticed this season taking a toll on Zorn?

Largent: Absolutely. The thing that impresses me is the fact that he goes to work every day with the same attitude, same enthusiasm, same focus. He's got a plan, he's trying to work his plan. He's tried to make due with the players that he has, given the injuries that they've had this year. He just does a fantastic job. But I can tell -- he would never admit this, especially in the middle of a season -- but I think at the end of the year, when he's done, he'll say, it did take a toll on him. It's just been a hard year. It always is a hard year when you don't meet expectations.

Question: What did you think was the low point of the season?

Largent: For me, the low point was when the Redskins were considering firing Jim after about six games of the season. I still say, that's the most obscene, ridiculous thing that they could have ever done.

But that's hindsight, and that's my opinion only. So take that for what it's worth. From that point, Jim's attitude has been, he's going to do what he has to do, and he's going to continue coaching the team and doing the best job that he can. And that's exactly what he's done.

Question: Zorn has said that he'll be a better coach because of the adversity he's faced this season. Do you look back at this the same way?

Largent: I think you learn from experiences like Jim's had this year.
I don't think they're positive. I think the positive you take from it is what you learn from it, and how you adjust to it. I don't think anybody would say -- I don't think Jim is saying -- that it's a positive experience. But what he's saying and what I think you can do is gain some wisdom from what you did, what you did right, what you did wrong, what you'd do differently if you're ever in the situation again. I think Jim's attitude is basically that.

Question: When Vinny Cerrato was let go last month, he released a statement that thanked several people. But he made no mention of Zorn. What did you make of that?

Largent: I just think that the statement itself says volumes about the man who said it. And that's all I'd say about that.

Question: Even after Cerrato left, Zorn didn't say anything bad about him. Did that surprise you at all?

Largent: I'm surprised only in the fact that I keep seeing how many times Jim does things that I wouldn't have done. His maturity level is much higher than my own.

Question: Are those measured responses natural for Zorn?

Largent: I think Jim wrestles with all these things. I don't think it's natural the way he's responded. I think it's super-natural. I think Jim's faith is very much a part of the way he reacts, the way he responds, the way he leads. I think that's why, even in this tumultuous situation, Jim can have a sense of peace about himself, about his future, about the job he's doing.

Question: What do you think he'll take away from this season that wi ll help him in the future?

Largent: I would say Jim's strength, it's not forgive and forget. It's totally forgive and learn from the mistakes you've made. I think that's Jim's basic attitude about life. But at the same time, Jim also has an incredible capacity to say, OK, that was last week or that was last year; what do we do this year to get better? What do we do to make sure we don't have the same kind of year? He's got that yearly refresher that's in the computer system in his mind that has the ability to not erase the past, but learn from it as you move forward. I think the calendar moves so quickly in the NFL any more that you don't have time to spend lamenting about last year, or even last week for that matter.

Question: Did the events of the season surprise Zorn, or did it reach a point where every twist and turn was simply business as usual?

Largent: They surprised Jim and they surprised me. I'd like to think it's not business as usual. I don't know if it's the Redskins are an anomaly or if this was just an unusual year. I don't want to make that judgment.

Question: Zorn has been saying that he's preparing as though his car eer extends beyond San Diego game. What has he told you?

Largent: I talked to Jim ... and he was going over what the schedule was going ot be for himself, for his team for his coaches for the next week after the game. I just reminded him, 'I hope you have a schedule after the game you can keep.' He knows that, he recognizes it. But he's got to plan for the future, even if he doesn't have one with the Redskins. I would say Jim is moving down the road as if he's still the head coach and he will be next year. He's planning accordingly. We'll see what happens.

Question: Is there any sense of relief for Zorn that this will all be over soon?

Largent: I think there's a little bit of a sense of that, in terms of the season -- all the injuries and all that stuff. In terms of Jim's tenure with the Redskins, he's not thinking about that at all.

He's thinking he's going to be the coach next year and what he needs to do to make changes to the team, the coaching staff and philosophy and to get the team back in the winning mode. It's amazing -- he doesn't turn off.

Question: The questions haven't been easy this season. How difficult was it for Zorn to answer them week after week?

Largent: Jim's a straight-up guy. He doesn't pull any punches. He speaks the truth to you. You ask a tough question, if he can answer it, he will. My respect and admiration for him was already high because of our friendship over the years. It's just been reconfirmed or elevated over the course of the last two years.

Question: Do you think Zorn will look back at this experience and harbor any resentment for Snyder or Redskins' management?

Largent: Jim would tell you -- Jim would tell me in private conversations that he doesn't bear any ill feelings toward Dan Snyder or the Redskins or even Vinny Cerrato, for that matter. That's just the way he is. Again, I just have tremendous respect for him because I don't think I would feel the same way.

By Rick Maese  |  January 4, 2010; 4:40 PM ET
 | Tags: Daniel M. Snyder, Jim Zorn
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan could be introduced Tuesday
Next: Zorn calls his tenure 'too short for me, but tremendous'

Comments

I understand sticking up for a friend and all, but Zorn doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. The Redskins could have handled it differently... but the guy was horrible.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 4, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, what did you think Largent would say?

Posted by: edvar | January 4, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This post is just stupid who gives a f_ck what Steve Largent feels.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This Brandon Marshall coming here next year is the latest RI nonsense...

WHAT PICKS AND/OR PLAYERS WILL YOU GIVE DENVER IN RETURN FOR HIS SERVICES?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, Zorn is so 12 hours ago.
Its all about the Lipless Wonder now!

Posted by: Predator48 | January 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

And Shanahan would become the leagues highest paid coach? Typical Snyder. Spend more than somebody else would to get a big name. That means the big name is worth more. Check the list of worthless free agents he paid obscene salaries. Same thing can happen with coaches.

Posted by: jlhare1 | January 4, 2010 4:37 PM |

Shannahan is already one of the leagues highest paid coaches he is set to make 7mil a year for the next 2 years for doing nothing.

Coaches salaries don't effect the salary cap so why do you car e how much money he gets paid?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

AP Reports that Shanahan will sign for 5 years 50 mil and a tanning bed in his office.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This is a big mistake. Bill Cowher would be a better pick. His sons are too young to coach. ;)

Posted by: kentonsmith | January 4, 2010 4:35 PM

Cowher only has daughters. I know this because he and I are in a special fraternity of guys w/only daughters. A fraternity where each guy is the only one living in a sorority house.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

should have asked Largent why the play-calling and offense was so awful under jz....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow...just wow..

I kept reading and reading...then decided to see how far this thing goes....I got a headache by scrolling down....

This post sucks...Largent means nothing to this team....I respect him as a player, but please don't post anything Zorn's butt buddy has to say....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

connskins, what is he saying??
Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Was asked many times in different versions if he wanted to stay, each time he was non committal and said things would have to change. He said he did not want to be back up, thinks he is a starter in the league. Mentioned no names but said players quit and that hurt him and the offense. He just sounded down about the whole situation

Posted by: connskins | January 4, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

mike zimmer would be excellent. one of the most respected men around the league.
so is blache of course, but zimmer is on the wishlist.

Posted by: saltine182 | January 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM |

I'm in that fraternity as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who skims Largent's political history would realize that he's crazy anyway

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Largent: Zorn's faith, strength will be intact

I can sleep well tonight now that I know this bit of information

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

ssh1549 - I posted my response above your repost....

basically...F Stats....give me wins or give me death.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Schefter tweet:

"Snyder, Allen and Shanahan are scheduled to meet into night but no deal will get done today. Tonight's meeting about organization direction."

Posted by: swowra | January 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't you want the coach, especially a proven coach with Super Bowl titles and a strong winning percentage involved in the player evaluation and personnel decisions? As long as he's not the only guy that has the only say he and the GM should be working hand in hand and should both have a say. Cause if it doesn't work 9 times out of 10 they both get fired anyway. Allen was a player, and a coach at high levels of football and knows what he's doing. Shanahan was very successful and for all the "he didn't win anything without Elway" crap nobody won with Elway before him. Do good teams need good QBs? of course, do good QBs need good coaches? yes! This is a great day, all you whiners don't know this won't be a winning formula, all you have is guesses like lets get Russ Grimm (who has been passed over in 3 places for HC jobs) or some no-name of who you have no suggestion or idea if they can succeed "up and comer". Give this pairing a chance before you get on them, their experience and records deserve that at the very least. And that experience may just be what Snyder needs to trust them to do their jobs and stay out of it. We are better off today than we have been in since Marty was fired, give it time before you whine.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"...trade down, trade down, trade down..."

This is posted on every blog featuring the witless thoughts of a fanbase whose team is not in the playoffs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2010 4:38 PM

And it's posted by the dumbest fans in the witless fan base. Why are they dumb? Because they don't realize that NO ONE wants to trade into the top four picks. In the last five NFL drafts, only one team traded into slot number five -- the New York Jets last year to grab Sanchez. And no team traded into slots 1-4.

So all your draft dreamers, making your fantasy picks 14 weeks before the draft, need to realize one thing: We're picking number 4. That's ours. We earned it, and no one will give us doodly squat to take it off our hands.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

From the previous post -

"As we previously reported, Allen instructed assistant coaches to begin completing their season-ending evaluations of players."

Why would they do that if they'll probably be all fired anyway?

Posted by: charley42 | January 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM |

dcsween is either not raising his daughters right or has never lived in a real sorority house. My guess is the latter.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I hear that song "I will Survive" playing in my head when ever I read Largent's comments on Zorn.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I sure am glad Steve Largent weighed in on this.

Stop acting like Zorn was bullied, he now a millionaire a few times over.

For the money he has my boss could slap me in the face everyday at work, with girls watching, and kick me in the crotch.

He's crying everytime he checks his bank statement I'm sure.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

ssh1549 - I posted my response above your repost....

basically...F Stats....give me wins or give me death.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I respect that...

Just saying that we have talent is all..

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

And cue the sobbing violins for Jim Zorn. What a puff piece from JZ's BFF and scum-sucking Oklahoma Republican and enemy of democracy Steve Largent.

Largent introduced a bill that would ban adoptions by gay and lesbian parents in Washington, D.C. Nice work for a guy elected by a bunch of Oklahomans.

Please, now that JZ, the incredible human being and tower of faith, is gone, let's never, every hear from that POS Steve Largent.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

For once we agree. The only tiny possibility we'd have at trading down is if by some strange turn of event Suh fell to us at 4. Otherwise, there is hardly a obvious talent on the board worth trading into the top 5 for especially considering that this will most likely be the last season without a rookie wage scale. No team is trading up to gamble on a player they will have to pay 3 or 4 times what they are worth. Barring an extreme oddity we are stuck at 4.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM

Because coaches still aren't free. The cost of a beer at FedEx is $1.00, but there is a $2 fee for each of Al Saunders, a Gregg Williams' fee that adds another $2.75, a $1.25 training camp parking shortfall fee (which was supposed to have funded the Brandon Lloyd contract buyout), and a $2 fee for the honor and privilege of having extra position coaches and consultants, plus this year there will be an Jim Zorn fee as well as a legal services surcharge (to settle out the legal fees for the season ticket holder litigation) ... so there is no something for nothing for the Skins fan.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Shanny's resume is better then Cowher's plus Cowher would bring in his own GM that he can control.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swowra

Hopefully this translates into which players and coaches stay or go and which electrical closet Dan will be forced to sit in on draft day

Posted by: Predator48 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Is there any truth in that Shanahan's son Kyle will call plays? Does he have any experience? This worries me a bit.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Maese will interview Zorn's wife next. I'm sure she'll have a really interesting, unbiased perspective on his firing.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

que up a political fight in 5....4....3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Some lingering questions...

1. How has Bruce Allen been involved in the head coach hiring process?
2. How has Dan Snyder been involved in the head coach hiring process?
3. What will the team's new football decision-making hierarchy be?
4. How involved will Dan Snyder be in any football decisions?

I hope the answers are:

1. Allen has run the search since his arrival and has made or will ultimately make the decision on whom to hire.
2. Snyder has stepped away from the search since Allen's arrival and will only act to approve Allen's final choice
3. For personnel and assistant coach hiring decisions, the buck stops with Allen, by way of the new head coach
4. Snyder will not be involved in any football decisions except when his approval is sought by Allen

Not bloody likely, but that's what I'd really like to see...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

ssh1549 - I posted my response above your repost....

basically...F Stats....give me wins or give me death.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

-------

If you want wins, you can do a LOT better than following the lead of the Bengals organization. Singing their praises right now is like singing the praises of the Redskins from 2007 because they happened to make the playoffs for the second time in 300 years.

Now when Shanahan finally does get introduced....that's a winner you can praise.

Posted by: psps23 | January 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess the only post left for Reid today would be the conversation that he had with Jim Zorn's wife where he will pretty much ask the same question and then post the responses here because we all care so much about Jim Zorn will take his firing.

Thanks JReid for all the insight into everything but Redskins park

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn = Bush

Shanahan = Obama

Snyder = 2-party pay-to-play system

Skins fans = poor and middle "classes"

Posted by: SnyderisaBornLoser | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM |

I'm in that fraternity as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:52 PM

Ditto

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

He's only called plays for Houston the last two seasons, one of the better offenses in the league.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

dc,

The cost at Fedex are standard around the league I think we are middle of the pack in consession cost's.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM |

I'm in that fraternity as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:52 PM

Ditto

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ditto - joyfully

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Just saying that we have talent is all..

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 4:57 PM

YEs we do...but we have them in the Wrong spots (OSackPo/Landry/Hayneworth come to mind)....

...I called the BEngals before the season started and just basking in my 'rightness'...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on the hiring process. Snyder hired Allen because that's who Shanahan wanted. It was the plan since mid season.

Posted by: dfbovey | January 4, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM |

He's the OC for the Texans who had a very good offense this year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM

And, on the other hand, you called Six Flags before it folded....

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

How many people here think that an owner should not hire the head coach? Which franchises in the NFL allow the GM that kind of power?

I should hope Synder is hiring Shana-lama-ding-dong.

Then, let Shike Manahan select his coaching staff, within a budget set by Snyder. And get special permission to hire his son.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:58 PM

Sweeny - Ask 4-12 or Kost about my reccession plan.....I'll sneak you in ATLEAST 4 bittles of beer and a footlong sausage into FedEx for ONLY $10....

It's been tried, tested, and proven...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Some lingering questions...

1. How has Bruce Allen been involved in the head coach hiring process?
2. How has Dan Snyder been involved in the head coach hiring process?
3. What will the team's new football decision-making hierarchy be?
4. How involved will Dan Snyder be in any football decisions?

I hope the answers are:

Not bloody likely, but that's what I'd really like to see...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM

You sound like Trevor Matich on Comcast sports net.

Trevor: Tell us what you were thinking as the ball was in the air and the wind was blowing through your earhole of your helmet.

Trevor: Tell us what you were thinking as you stopped to tie your shoes as you were about to board the bus.

Take us behind the

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM |

If he doesn't work out, Allen can call Sherm Lewis back out of re-retirement.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Just saying that we have talent is all..

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 4:57 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

To put this in even more perspective...

We kept the "ole Ball Coach"

and let Marvin Lewis leave.

That leaves a mark.

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

This post is a waste of time, Reid should have left the last one up.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

... The only tiny possibility we'd have at trading down is if by some strange turn of event Suh fell to us at 4. ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 4:58 PM

I agree on this ... but it would be AWFUL tempting NOT to trade down and to take Suh instead. Football starts and the line of scrimmage ... and unless the trade partner is #5 (Chiefs?) or some team that is not going to take either Okung or Iutupi, I'd be way satisfied with Suh on the D side of the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

And, on the other hand, you called Six Flags before it folded....

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:04 PM

Which is why I will never bring up six flags in my life again....Live hard, Crash hard......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Question: What did you think was the low point of the season?

I figured it would be the fake field goal call after a timeout before which you lined up in the fake field goal formation but that's just me.

Posted by: Moose33 | January 4, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Question: What did you think was the low point of the season?

Posted by: Moose33 | January 4, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Watching this from Section 413 - like we do every week...

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

All owners have a huge say in who the head coach of there teams will be.

If any of you think that owners let the GM hire the coach with no say by them you are dumb.

This move has been in the works for months BA has been involved the whole time. BA and shanny will work together both have signed off on that.

Also Shanny is no lap dog and he is going to hold players accountable. He will not let Danny push him around I guarantee that will be in his contract and it is probably in BA's contract as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine Suh and AH at DT?

Not at the same time, of course. Big Al only plays 1/2 the downs, so we'd have Suh the other half of the time.

Still you get those two and 98 with his hand in the dirt, maybe run a FEW STUNTS every once in awhile, and WAS may be retiring a few more Dallas Cow Boy QBs.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

que up a political fight in 5....4....3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM |

I almost bit on that idiots post but then I realized that a socialist calling a Republican an enemy of democracy is hilarious. Oops...I bit.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:08 PM

Exactly the problem! The only time you can trade is when you don't want to trade. It would have been like trading away from taking Orakpo last year.

Or like trading away that pick where we could have taken Adrian Peterson, but took Laron Landry instead because he was the best player available. Okay, bad example.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

To put this in even more perspective...

We kept the "ole Ball Coach"

and let Marvin Lewis leave.

That leaves a mark.

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:07 PM

As I lived my teenage years in Norv Turner obscurity, I would also like to point out that I have been a long time Norv supportter and wished he was not fired (at that time) and thought he had us in the right track pre-2000.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I got an average feeling about this.

I am just not convinced that this is anything different than the usual, "get the guy with the best resume available and hire them" method that is Dan Snyder's modus operandi.

The problem with hiring with this method is the same as in the regular workplace. You usually don't ask good questions during the interview process. When you don't ask good questions, bad things happen.

Posted by: keithrjackson | January 4, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more. Sounds like this hiring is more based on the fact that Snyder is buddies with Shanahan, and on Shanahan's resume, than on any potential great future with him as head coach of the Redskins.

Until I see tangible results on the field, I'm going to view this as typical Snyder false hype.

Posted by: jcabana | January 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Also agree with whoever said that Snyder has been after Shanahan for months before Allen was hired. If Allen really is the GM, why is he hiring a guy so quickly who was pursued by the team before he arrived? This indicates that Snyder really hasn't learned his lesson, hasn't given up control...and thus hasn't given me any reason to be confident that the Redskins' fortunes will improve.

Posted by: jcabana | January 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | January 4, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM

I think K. Shanahan has only been calling plays this year. He was elevated from WR coach to OC in January 2008.

4th, I smuggle a 12 inch long sausage into FedEx everytime I go ... well, er, maybe change inches to centimeters and sausage to cocktail weinie ... umm ... I think I've already said too much ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm way ok with Shanahan being our coach. The problem I have is in his evaluation of talent. I can tell you from living in Denver all the criticism he got was from an evaluating talent perspective NOT coaching. That's the only part that scares me.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 4:55 PM |

Blah, blah, blah.

So it's an impossibility?

2004: SD & NYG
2001: ATL & SD
1999: INDY & STL..Faulk for 4th

With only 5 picks, anything could and should be a possibility.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christmas!

Who effing CARES what Steve Largent thinks?

If I was Zorn, I'd be embarrassed; Largent comes jumping to his defense all the time as if Jim was a younger, slightly retarded brother who can't defend himself.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

has a coach ever won a super bowl with 2 different teams? no, so we are getting a super bowl winning coach, great, that's just great because no coach in the history of the nfl has ever won a super bowl with 2 different teams, so basically if shanny wins it will be the first time in nfl history that a coach will have won a super bowl with 2 different teams and if jim zorn had won a super bowl with the Skins it will have been the first time in the history of the nfl that jim zorn would have won a super bowl as head coach

jim zorn winning super bowl as head coach---NEVER HAPPENED

any coach winning super bowl with 2 different teams---NEVER HAPPENED

i know this is retarded, but the only thing getting a super bowl winning coach has guaranteed us is, well that we won't win a super bowl, maybe

Posted by: retroskins14 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

What was the low point , the better question might be what was the high point?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

sure sween, you've got your weenie, but 4th can get you 4 bittles of beer to go with it. How can you turn that down?

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn was a good man who could have been an asset to this team under different circumstances and maybe not as head coach at this point in his career.

But if bigger names than his could not succeed under Snyder, its no wonder that the guy was like a lamb to slaughter. I always thought so and always felt bad for him because he had to know that and yet he gave it his best anyway probably thinking in that optimistic way of his that he maybe would have enough time (not enough), enough support (none ever from HO) and enough luck to learn his job on the fly (injuries, injuries, injuries).

I'll miss the guy and I hope he will succeed somewhere else. Hopefully he will find a good position with someone who values a character guy and is willing to develop him properly.

Good luck, Coach Zorn!

Posted by: mrapier1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

IF (gigantic if because I don't see any way in the world that even if St. Louis goes QB that Detroit wouldn't jump at the chance to get Suh on their awful defense when they just went QB/T last year) but IF Suh was there at 4 I'd have no problem trading back. I agree he would give us the most dominant DT tandem in the league, but we need OFFENSE!!!!! Its like taking a talented TE in the second round when you have a Pro Bowl TE on your roster and needs in about 17 other places. It is a luxury a roster like ours can't afford....

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Question: What did you think was the low point of the season?

Posted by: Moose33 | January 4, 2010 5:09 PM

As a follower of the team, the low point for me was the home crowd booing the 9-7 win over the Rams. Admittedly, it should have been a rout, but hearing boos after a win made me want to go all Henson ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

To put this in even more perspective...

We kept the "ole Ball Coach"

and let Marvin Lewis leave.

That leaves a mark.

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:07 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I had just graduated HS in '92 and was thinking what to cities with bad teams do. I liked Norv too - Watched him coach in both RFK and FedEx (JKC then) - fired at 7-6 with 4 games left. Why?

Now I know...

Posted by: ssh1549 | January 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrapier1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM

Maybe as spiritual leader? Except he didn't have leadership skills.

Jim Zorn should only work as a helper, not a boss.

Posted by: League-Source | January 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

What was the low point , the better question might be what was the high point?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM

Easy, Vinny fired...by a long shot.

Posted by: Moose33 | January 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

RomoShortBall, that is the best line I've ever read on this board. Tremendous.

----------------------------

I haven't followed the pursuit of a white bronco this closely since 1994. Looks like they caught him, if the headset fits you must acquit...

Posted by: RomoShortball | January 4, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | January 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, NYC. I don't know, Ryp set the bar pretty high with his "touchdown" line earlier...

Posted by: RomoShortball | January 4, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

4th, Norv would definitely have improved this team. He drove a Carrera, not a Cayenne.

It's just rotten luck, that with the most talent in the NFL, Norv has not won a SB, or gone to the AFC Championship at SD.

That he went 9-23 in Oakland, somehow failing to get the ball to Randy Moss, and winning only 1 division game in 2 years.

That his offenses didn't light up the league in SF and MIA, where he was reunited with Mike Nolan and JJ, respectively.

Norv... ah Norv.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christmas!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM

You know what the "H" stands for? Haploid. [Only Catholic genetisists get this one.]

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM

Seems like the last couple of years he was putting together a defense with scotch tape and bailing wire. Especially the way he kept bringing in DLmen. He should be happy enough now leaving the D alone and beefing up the O.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What was the low point , the better question might be what was the high point?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM

I dunno, I kind of enjoyed the game against the Broncos.

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Jim Zorn was Mother Theresa in a turtleneck.

He didn't get it done.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Campbell proved this year that he can play despite having a bad line no running game and an inconsitent, at best, receiving Corp. When the receivers started coming around it seems safe to say that Campbell is good for 2 TD passes a game. Not great, but not bad. If we could count on 1 a week from the RBs and win the turnover battles we could win next year.

I vote to draft O Line, RB, or Safety

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason - Thanks for this post. I wanted to hear from someone in Zorn's camp. I have no doubt that Jim Zorn will coach a team to the super bowl, and they will most certainly get there before any Dan Snyder team will.

Dan Snyder - Please either sell the team or stop blowing it up every 2 years.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It's been tried, tested, and proven...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

But not everyone likes a two-foot sausage down their backside.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 4, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 4, 2010 5:14 PM

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:22 PM

Yeah if he starts trading for all of Cleveland's d-linemen then we should be worried.

Posted by: skinswest | January 4, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

What was the low point , the better question might be what was the high point?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 4, 2010 5:15 PM

the high point for me by far was the firing...ahem resignation of Vinny. There isn't even a close second, well that's not true, today's firing of Zorn is a close second, but not technically in season highlight.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES!!!!!! JASON DO US A FAVOR AND DONT POST ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT ZORN

Posted by: taylormade218 | January 4, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Jim Zorn was Mother Theresa in a turtleneck.

He didn't get it done.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM

Correction: Zorn sports the mock T-neck.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder - Please either sell the team or stop blowing it up every 2 years.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 4, 2010 5:24 PM |

Please i'm eating save your jokes for later, Zorn was terrible and will never get another head coaching job in the NFL.

Zorn will be a QB coach thats all he will ever be, he is 55 he is no young buck.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

lol

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It's been tried, tested, and proven...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:05 PM

...he gets thru unscathed, then they stop the Aussie with the backpack and tell him to take it back to the car!

Posted by: 4-12 | January 4, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@dpc2003 - He's good with a good QB. W/O one? Not so much. Watch out for SD coming out this year in the AFC. Between them and the Bengals......

Aikman
Ferotte - Pre-Headbutt
Trent Green was an almost
Brad Johnson
Alex Smith (did well in one season)
Phillip Rivers

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Ersatz T-neck, Ski-slope Haircut, whatever.

Mother Theresa would have kicked some butt after the DET game.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 4, 2010 5:16 PM |

zjfr2 - There's a big difference between the way two pro bowl caliber TE's can affect a game, and two pro bowl caliber DT's can. Line dominance on both sides of the ball is where you start building champions. Haynesworth lined up next to Suh? That would rock!

The early first round is for grabbing GAME CHANGERS. I say take him and go O line in rounds 2 & 4. There's is always the FA market to help build the O line as well, but a guy like Suh should not be passed up.

Posted by: edvar | January 4, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I like the shanny hire, usually round this time you hear stories of hot up and comer coordinator types, not so this year. Also heard that shanny told buffalo he would want BA to be the GM with him. And cowher seems to be willing to wait another year which to me says he likes his current job and wouldn't hang around long if things went bad.

Posted by: hcic55 | January 4, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"Hopefully he will find a good position with someone who values a character guy and is willing to develop him properly".

Booooo-f'n-hooooo.

Zorn was in over his head from jump street. No team in the league wanted him as an OC, let alone an HC. Not then and certainly not now.

Develop him? He was promoted to HC before he could even try to become an OC. What should that move have told him? He took the job knowing it meant a big payday and came with plenty of risks.

If Zorn is such a character guy, why doesn't he offer a partial refund on the 2.5 million he's been drawing the past 2 years?

Posted by: ksquare | January 4, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hcic55 | January 4, 2010 5:32 PM

Cowher will be the panthers coach in 2011.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I like Jim Zorn so much more than Dan Snyder. He is a great person, just like his friend characterizes. I admit my passion for the Redskins made me judge him ineffective early on because I felt he was routinely out-coached.

Jim Zorn may have been able to get the job done in time. Now is not the time and his dismissal is acceptable on football terms.

However, the fact that Snyder screwed the coach's chances with terrible management and a roster of underachievers makes me prefer to have Zorn stay and Snyder leave. I can't believe Snyder could treat his coach so badly - although his first move as an owner was to fire all employees and I knew he was trouble from day 1. Given time, I'm certain Snyder will screw the next coach as well.

Posted by: jjredskins | January 4, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

then he really would be a bad hire for the skins!

Posted by: hcic55 | January 4, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

4th -- Norv has done well when he had a hell of a lot of talent. I mean a lot of talent, HOF type talent at the RB, QB positions and Pro Bowlers everywhere you look.

Without A.J. Smith to get those guys for him in SD, well I don't know. I guess I'm saying that Norv has to have the right situation in order to succeed. I don't think he can create that situation.

The interesting part is that DAL is the perfect place for Norv. Somebody over there knows how to acquire talent, maybe it's ol Lizard Lips.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

if suh is there at 4 trade down and get O line

if suh isn't there get O line

saw a mock draft that had us taking mcCluster in the 4th, he's the ole miss RB 165 lb. - i like that idea

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 4, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksquare

he's a character guy not a retard, give back money?.... to Snyder?...

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 4, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has proven his Virth....oh wait wrong team and player.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 4, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Tonight Dan and Bruce will wine and dine Mike Shanahan, and then treat him to a dvd shown on the big screen at fed ex field.

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

if suh is there at 4 trade down and get O line

if suh isn't there get O line

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 4, 2010 5:40 PM

I actually agree with you. I don't see McCluster being available in the 4th, especially after the combine. I could see going in the 2-3 rd.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | January 4, 2010 4:49 PM |

I'm in that fraternity as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 4:52 PM

Ditto

Posted by: skinfanman | January 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ditto

Posted by: scottmando1 | January 4, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

This Brandon Marshall coming here next year is the latest RI nonsense...

WHAT PICKS AND/OR PLAYERS WILL YOU GIVE DENVER IN RETURN FOR HIS SERVICES?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis straight up!! I'll take BMs attitude and ability over CPs anyday!

Posted by: scottmando1 | January 4, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I could not imagine having daughters. I have my third boy on the way.

My wife wants to try for a girl, but I told her this aint the lottery, you just dont keep playing to win.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 4, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Defense may win championships, but offense wins games. And really bad teams had better draft offense.

Chances are good Suh is available at 4. But I think DET takes Okung. Cherilus has not been able to move to LT. They need to get Stafford some protection before he's wrecked.

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that special? We get it that Jim Zorn is a really nice guy. Okay? The fact of the matter; however, is he sucked as a coach. Nice guys do finish last - or very close to last as Zorn proved this season. I will never dispute the fact that Zorn is a nice guy. What that has to do with being a good head coach is not very clear to me. I don't think anyone can say Bill Belichick is a likeable guy, but he wins football games and has the respect of his team. That's all we are asking for as fans. Give us a team that won't quit and where everybody is accountable. Let's hope Shanahan brings that to the team. And BTW, let's put the whole Zorn chapter behind us. We've been given the preview to the funeral all season long and now that it has come, I'm kind of tired of it all, you know?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is as good a choice as any at this point, he is a similiar hawk-like raptor species as Trey Wingo, compare beaks...And there is hamburger all over the highway in sectors R through M...

Posted by: frak | January 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

++++

Say what? How do you win championships without winning games? Mind bending...

Posted by: edvar | January 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 4, 2010 5:52 PM

Suh will go 1st or 2nd, unless of course he has some kind of off the field mishap….he won't be on the board at 4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Can you believe we finished below the Browns and the Chiefs ?? Great job, guys, the Okie QB should be left at 4..And please trade up to get McCluster Touchdown Buster..Aaah, The Post-Season Show starring Danny Snyder has kicked off!!

Posted by: frak | January 4, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon was right - it's still SNYDER picking the GM and the coach and not letting the GM run the shop. Just different varieties of the same nasty flavor - celebrity fantasy football - we've been forced to choke down for over a decade now.

It's sad but predictable that a post that features a well declared point of view - all biases and relationships declared - and that features discussion of a man's faith elicits such venom. Such haters.

Posted by: i155133 | January 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Yo, Largent. Get a clue!

Zorn motivated no one. Motivation would require the effort meter to move from "medium" to "intensity". I believe Zorn was allergic to the effort and the concept of inspiration.

When I look at true coaching, I think no better example could have been found this year than the Carolina Panthers - a team with a pathetic starting quarterback and little if any serious offensive weapons save for one or two players. That team of putridity beat the Redskin Mediums and then started to restore themselves with respectability by destroying the Giants and finishing their year even. Yeah, they weren't playoff bound and weren't a top ten team - but you saw a team that did more than tap dance over an awful Oakland team only to melt when they came back to earth. You saw a REAL HEAD COACH expecting more, demanding more, and getting more out of his players than our Medium Milk Toast Zorn.

Largent - you should be applauded for having the back of your friend, but you lose any credibility exhaulting his skills as a head coach. The team didn't jell around him - they fell into the same hole and were unwilling to get out of it and he didn't inspire them to pick up a shovel. Too often we saw the same thing happen in consecutive games - a clear lack of discipline and direction by a thinking human.

Zorn may have been a nice guy. But he should be grooming dogs. Not trying to get a team of overpaid fleas to rise up and to get off their fat arses.

Posted by: laserwizard | January 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

why write this, who cares what largent says, he is a friend of zorn. How can he say that zorn did a fantastic job of keeping his coaches and players motivated.
lol

Posted by: jmy999 | January 4, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

When the redskins were 6 and 2 in 2008 and Z got in Portis' face on the sidelines - he was heading somewhere as a good coach. Snyder took that away from him when Portis went crying into Dan's office. Snyder and Vinny knew this wasn't a good enough roster to win with our OL and Z was set-up - even without his experience.

Posted by: PinotNoir | January 5, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse