Odds and Ends

Tidbits from the open locker room:

Clinton Portis said he is happy to see Shaun Alexander backing him up, and also believes his buddy Rock Cartwright has plenty to feel good about, even if he can't get those carries he so coveted now.

"It's a business, and we all have to go out and compete," Portis said. "Rock still has a major role in this organization."

...

While the Redskins/Browns rivalry isn't among the game's elite, it is a special game for a few Skins. London Fletcher and defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery are Cleveland natives, and linebacker Khary Campbell is from Toledo. All have loads of Browns fans among their friends and family.

"My whole family roots for the Browns." Fletcher said. "Everybody."

Not this week, though, right?

"They're all pulling for us this weekend," Fletcher said. Fletcher said he will have more family and friends attending the game at FedEx Field than usual this weekend, given the opponent.

...

I will do a full blog tomorrow on the Browns' use of the Wildcat formation tomorrow. Cleveland actually started to use it more last season - before Miami implemented it with greater regularity - and the kid who runs it, Josh Cribbs, is a stellar athlete (and right up there with Hester in terms of best return guy in the league). Cribbs played QB at Kent State and he may end up throwing more option passes out of the formation.

The Browns did it very sparingly against the Giants in their win Monday night, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more of it in this game, especially inside the red zone.

...

As a pre-emptive strike against what I figure will be a run of emails, I will tell you that the Skins are not among the teams placing a call to express interest in recently released WR Terrance Copper, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, though he is generating interest. I imagine the Skins could be bringing in WRs in a few weeks with Malcolm Kelly perhaps headed to the injured reserve list if his knee does not respond.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 15, 2008; 2:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Team Practicing without Portis, Kendall
Next: Zorn: Samuels, Portis Sore but Will Start

Comments

Jasno is a bama.

Posted by: tafka | October 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Every time I try to get out they pull me back in!

Sorry, I can't let this go by, it is utterly silly and ridiculous to suggest they used three second round draft choices on guys that they were hoping would contribute in 3 or 4 years and weren't expecting anything from them now. That's just dumb. We're they expecting starters and pro bowlers, of course not, were they expecting contributions? of course they were! Does it take time for draft picks to develop into stars or integral parts of your team absolutely, but day one 1st and 2nd round picks should be contributing, period.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Where's everybody at?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 15, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Weird... my knee is not responding, either.

Hello? Hello?

Huh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 15, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

except for QB's which is a totally different situation

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

+++It's WIDELY known and statiscally backed that wide receivers are the slowest group to catch on and make an impact +++--FBChick

SHHHHHHH!!!. don't tell the Iggles or the Denvers--TheCORK

+++So why would you think a second rounder is going to break the starting lineup so fast??+++

Um, Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson?
Posted by: TheCork | October 15, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

And how much of Jackson's production has more to do with the fact that the Eagles have no other option then him at Wide Receiver???

The kid has almost as many drops as he catches, and every team in the league probably would have pulled him from the game after the bonehead missed TD beacuse he celebrated to early, but the eagles with no other options had him back in the line up on the next offensive snap.

Admittedly though, I haven't seen much of Royal... but I'm trying to see where 5 catchs and 30 yards is liting it up in Denver on a team that has been pass happy all season. I mean over 1600 passyards for that team already and the kid has 30 and you're drooling over him??? I mean he accounts for 1.5% of their passing offense. Thomas averages 1.0%

Color me ubber impressed!

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I hate when my knees get all bloodshot after a redeye flight.

Posted by: tafka | October 15, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, you come on here like a mr. know-it-all about the redskins. You did the same thing with how JC was no good and had all these confident sounding posts to back you up on why JC was no good. You lost all credibility from that point on. Try not coming off like you are the only one that is right like you did with JC. My guess is you will be proven wrong again.

Posted by: Skins930 | October 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops.. color me wrong... Read the stats wrong, now I see the love for eddie

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Alexander is a solid pick up, now that we have a punter, how about getting a punt returner? ARE looks pathetic back there!

Posted by: jaldrichl | October 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

umm don't know where you've been but eddie royal has 30 catches for 321 yards and two TD's, 1 kick return for 11 yards, 8 punt returns for 114 yards, and 2 carries for 15 yds. I'd say that is a bit more than what you had there. and a lot more than our 3 second round picks.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...If the Skins are still looking to bring in WR's what's that telling you?

Case closed.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

zj, could any of his productivity be because they have forced him into the starting lineup?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:18 PM |

Jack--

Is there anyone in the world who has suggested this? I think you're attacking a straw man.

How many days has Eddie Royal missed with injuries?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Nobody is going to be forced into the starting lineup if they don't have a clue about what's going on and the coaches don't have at least some confidence in them.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...If the Skins are still looking to bring in WR's what's that telling you?

Its telling me that Kelly is injured. Why what does it tell you??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yes.. but what about more confidence in another guy over him?

That's our question.

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Cribbs is money, one of the best returners in the league, mos def an athlete.
Went to Dunbar High DC native, played everything evan swam!

Posted by: Stu27 | October 15, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930 | October 15, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Another person who can't read (albeit in the past) what I said about JC was it was time for everybody to stop making excuses for him about changing systems and what not and that in his 4th year he should be producing. I said with a contract year looming he needed to produce quickly or if the team dropped to 0-5 (which all this was after the Giants game when we all though the sky was falling) he needed to sit and we needed see what else we had. Well, no excuses are needed anymore JC has come through big time and has proven he was worth the wait, and I have said I am totally a believer now. This time, I'm talking about a draft and have said that obviously the jury is out for the overall as to whether it was good or not and we'll know that in a year or two from now. But all I'm saying and is and maybe I'm wrong but I can't see how anybody cannot look at the lack of any positive contribution from anybody in this draft class other than Horton and say that it was a good draft right now. That's it, I'm just saying it has been disappointing to date. That's not wrong. And I also fail to see how I lost any credibility before by saying it was time for JC to put up or sit down, I didn't say JC didn't have the physical talent, I said I had seen nothing on a sustained basis up until and including the Giants game that would lead me to believe that he was a franchise QB. If the sky had fallen and we were 0-5 or 1-5 or whatever you would be saying the same thing, fortunately for all of us, JC came through. But we didn't draft 3 pass catching players and let go a promising vet to be a part of this offense in 3 years. We expected contributions from Thomas, Kelly, and Davis right away and haven't gotten any.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Its telling me that Kelly is injured. Why what does it tell you??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

It tells me that none of the WR's drafted are contributing and adding depth. It also tells me that FO was foolish in not resigning Caldwell and McCardell for proven veteran depth. It also tells me Thomas still can't get on the field when they need him the most. It also tells 3 receivers were drafted to help in the red zone and that hasn't occurred.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"has proven he was worth the wait"

Why not practice what you preach, and apply that to Thomas, Kelly, Davis, etc.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes.. but what about more confidence in another guy over him?

That's our question.

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

???

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is injured. How is he supposed to contribute?

Also, great statement here:

"It tells me that none of the WR's drafted are contributing and adding depth"

Do you watch the games??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone has sais it was a good draft. All I've ever read was everyone telling you it was too early to judge anything about the draft.

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

btw here are the NFL averages for QB's
Comp.% 61.7%
Yards/Att. 7.1
TD% 4%
Int.% 2.6%
NFL QB Rating 85.5

Campbellin those stats:

Comp.% 64%
Yards/Att. 7
TD% 3.35%
Int.% 0
NFL QB Rating 96.2

Posted by: alex35332 | October 15, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Why not practice what you preach, and apply that to Thomas, Kelly, Davis, etc.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:42 PM"

get outta here with your logic! No place for that!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 15, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:40 PM

Leave me alone. Maybe you can analyze the Portis/Bailey trade instead?

Posted by: Dead_Horse | October 15, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

If you didn't see this before, check it out. SI ranked the NFL stadiums in order and took polls. There's interesting stats and funny stories on the best & worst experiences there.

Here's a quote from a Baltimore fan on one of the worst experiences :

""After a loss, a fan of the opposing team went to shake the hand of a Ravens fan. The Ravens fan turned and farted on the guys hand. I personally thought it was hilarious. But I guess if you're the guy who just had his hand farted on, it might be kind of messed up." "

ha!

link to the Redskins page :

and at the bottom left you can start changing teams, definitely worth a look

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Dead Horse gets post of the day....thats some funny stuff right there.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As you stated today Z, JC was not expected to start in year one. His first year of playing was last year. This year is his second year as the starter, not his 4th, so your argument is inconsistent.

Davis is not expected to start. Rinehart is not expected to start. With the CBs we have Tryon is not expected to start. Colt is not expected to start. None of the 7th rounders were expected to start. The only draft picks expected to get playing time were the two receivers and the punter. Kelly has been injured, Thomas is getting some playing time and Horton makes up for Brooks, so overall, how can it be said that our draft class is disappointing? Especially after 6 games.

It is easy to point fingers with hindsight. Give these guys a chance and don't be so easily disappointed.

Posted by: Skins930 | October 15, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't the name of your blog be changed to Redskins Outsider because you are in no way an Insider.

You are so critical that noone at Redskin Park will talk to you......

Later

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 15, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

That's GREAT stuff, punchdaclock, keep it comin'!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

This dude can't go off this draft proccupation. Many players have strted slowly in their careers to turn it around. It's just too early this year and in these guys careers for the sky is falling bit.

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is injured. How is he supposed to contribute?

Also, great statement here:
"It tells me that none of the WR's drafted are contributing and adding depth"

Do you watch the games??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Do you? How many plays have Thomas and Davis made up to this point? It's been widely publicized that Zorn has not been happy with the progress or work ethic of these WR. Of course they will get better with time, my point that I seem to have to keep repeating is that these WR were drafted for a reason. To add depth and contribute alot more than they have. I don't care about 2-3yrs down the line, I'm talking about the here and now. We need these WR to step up NOW.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes.. but what about more confidence in another guy over him?

That's our question.

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

???

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

For us, we've had a healthy and productive Moss and Cooley. ARE started a little slow, but has begun to pick up with Moss being so covered. Even Thrash, whom everyone one seems to hate, has managed to make a few clutch plays and score a TD.

The Eagles have been sunk with Injuries and WR who just won't hang on to the ball.

Even Royal got his chance based on injuries.

It's all about options

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

We need these WR to step up NOW.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Something cool for your Christmas list. Many of us probably have the NFL Films DVD set containing the specials about our Super Bowl wins. But have you ever wished that you could get those entire games on DVD?

Well, lookie here.

The original network TV broadcasts of Super Bowls XVII, XXII, and XXVI, all nice and legit, from NFLShop.com. (FYI, the page I've linked doesn't say they are the original broadcasts, but the e-mail I got from NFLShop.com does.)

Posted by: freakzilla | October 15, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Eh ... RFK has all the memories. FedEX field is about as fun as a cold-water enema." hahahahahahaha

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

fb, you're using logic on him, and thats just not going to work.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We need these WR to step up NOW.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:54 PM

We do not NEED these WR now. Sloppy play lost and Teams lost the last game, not lack of WRs. We could USE them being more productive is more like it, but based on our play and record we do not NEED them now..

Posted by: Skins930 | October 15, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Even Royal got his chance based on injuries.

It's all about options

Posted by: fbchick | October 15, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

And don't you think it would be nice to have another option when Moss and Randle El are covered in spread formations? It would be nice to think that Thomas would be matched up against the nickel or dime CB and have that to our advantage.

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

By the way, who said the Skins were shopping for a WR?

It's not in this post, nor any other post today or yesterday.

Jasno quoted another one of his "sources" saying the Skins WERE NOT interested in Copper. He then speculated that they "COULD" be in the market for one in a couple of weeks.

How does any of that translate into they are looking for a WR?

I agree that there is a need on this team for another wide out, I have posted as much myself, but I also think it is not just "unfair" to pass judgement on THIS draft class, it is also impossible to so accurately. EVERYTHING, good or bad, at this point is pure speculation and means nothing.

Posted by: craig2 | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The issue is not the rook WRs, its the lack of a groomed/signed 3-5 year Vet that would be in the rotation now in the top 3 WRs on the team. Thats what the Skins lack, especially considering the resources sunken into the position the last 4 years.

If we had signed a guy in the off season (that Cardinals WR always comes to mind...but us blog comentors had lots of ideas on guys) who could be a reliable 3rd WR we would have the luxury of patience with the draft picks. Or if Mix had worked out. But it is a problem to run Thrash out there as a viable threat. In my mind *assertion alert Greg so keep your panties on* the FO did think they would have a rookie who would emerge to fill this need, at this point that has not materialized. I think D-Thom could actually do this, but Zorn seems hesitant. I would almost just like to make D-Thom the 3rd Wideout and see what happens, lumps and all.

The Davis pick, to me (and what fun is sports if you don't have opinions...), was the only misstep that the FO made in the draft that I can whine about. I just see that as a mistake all around. Would love to have gotten a LB/O-Line guy there. But whateves its a gamble not a science.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Some of you are really funny. Ready to throw the rookies under the bus just as you did JC and Rogers. I am going to stand with them and give them time just like I did with JC and Rogers. Once would think you guys would have learned from that.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

How many days has Eddie Royal missed with injuries?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 15, 2008 2:30 PM

This past game...and it cost me a FFB win against kost, dambit.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

what tha???

Where did my panties go??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 15, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hot water burn baby...

Make it stop. Everyone sing Kumbaiyah and then chant "BEat the Browns" while channeling positive thoughts for 5 seconds toward Malcolm Kelly knee. Gotta have this one folks! OK, we don't "gotta" have it but to quote Judge Schmales..."Oh Billy Billy Billy...it's a biggie Billy...."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 15, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who just read that the Skins will probably look to pick up another WR because Kelly will be gone for perhaps the yr? With three WR drafted, no one would ever guess this would be the case, right?

Wasn't this written in English?

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU! That's my main point!!!

Posted by: ga8085 | October 15, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ughh, not talking about throwing them under buses or cutting them or saying they are busts or saying we should get rid of them all or saying they will never be good. I am stating captain obvious in the defense of JLC stating captain obvious that to date, Vinny's draft has underwhelmed and that this team is desperately in need of a third wide receiver....how is this even debatable?

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 15, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Great point here. The injury problems to Kelly is what really caught the team off guard. From what I read, he was projected to be the red zone threat. D thomas was a project from day one. This guy only had one year of college experience if you look at it. Him struggling to me is not such a surprise. I think Davis will come on. He's starting to get some run in the offense.

Posted by: TWISI | October 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Truth,

Thanks for the link. Being a Skins fan in the Carolina's, I get to the Panthers games more often than the Skins. I took my kids, 7 & 5 to the Skins game there and the fans for the Panthers were so polite. We were dressed in Skins gear of course, and not one negative comment. Classy is the adjective I'd use to describe their fans. I wish that was the reputation Skins fans at FedEx had.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | October 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This is just based on impressions, but from the handful of games I've been able to watch this season (Saints, Eagles, Rams) it seemed that even though Thomas wasn't doing much, the handful of catches he's made were in important small yardage situations (I think I remember at least one 3rd down conversion). At this point in his career, Thomas should be working diligently on getting open--and if that progress is slow and gradual, fine. At least he's not making bonehead moves that could cost his team a game.

Kelly's injured, so I have no opinion on his (lack of) impact. You can't make an impact if your body won't shape up.

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 15, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't this written in English?

Posted by: ga8085

Yep. I guess you are. Cuz that's more of Jason's speculation.

Posted by: craig2 | October 15, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

kelly played a total of 14 games in college, very productive in those games but thats still a huge lack of experience, cuppeled with Injury problems and a reputation of injuries and not giving enough effort, never played in big games cause he was sitting on the sidelines watching them.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 15, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

+++Sure, you want the 2nd rounders to take some pressure off of the starters, but is it really needed? No. Look at the stats. Every game, either Moss, CP, or Cooley is putting up monster numbers. The offense isn't stagnant. They don't have trouble moving the ball...

Posted by: -swb | October 15, 2008 2:07 PM +++

So, 17 points was enough for you, Sunday?

Moss has averaged ONE BALL per game the last two weeks. He's being doubled.

Having a viable threat, or two, complimenting him at WR is not only desireable, it's critical.

Randy Moss has Welker.

In his prime Ocho-Cinco had Housh.

Monk had the Smurfs.

Moss has a possession guy (ARE) and a special teams guy.

Would have been nice if Thomas and Kelly had showed up in shape, or Jackson or Royal had been selected.

Posted by: TheCork | October 15, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Truth,

Posted by: lsskinsfan | October 15, 2008 3:09 PM"

well duh, you're talking about us down south Carolinians. Charleston, SC has won "Friendliest City in the Nation" award like 15 years running. We take pride in being classy!

Some of those stories I read I can only hope are exaggerations.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 15, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Would have been nice if Thomas and Kelly had showed up in shape,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
yeah

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
or Jackson or Royal had been selected.

Posted by: TheCork | October 15, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

ehhh...we don't need a bonehead like Jackson on this team.

Royal would have been awesome (Hokie fan) but unfortunately he's injured now, which wouldn't help us down the stretch. Long term, he seems like he'll be a good guy, but haven't we also lamented the need this team has for a tall WR? I love him, but that's not Eddie.

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 15, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Just covering the phones here ...

Reed Doughty, Reed Doughty! Ifyhane Ohalete called ... said "get paid as soon as you release the number". That's all he said.

Lots of peeps up here, lots of peeps up here! The bus called ... said "get jm220's rookie receivers out from under me."

On the actual thread, I'm not real excited about the prospect of MORE plays out of the Wildcat formation. Somebody get on that; tell the Browns not to do that.

OK, that's all I got (i.e., nothin).

Posted by: dcsween | October 15, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

still laughing at the guy that got cut and said "I saw it coming, I really didn't do anything."

LOL

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

One of these weeks a team in the NFL is going to figure out how to stop the Wildcat. Might as well be us--HTTR!

(C'mon Blache)

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 15, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

lol. OK dcsween let's take a look back. I said JC would be good and just give him time. Was I right? YES! I said give Rogers time when everyone was trashing the kid. I even pointed out that Baily and Green wasn't great their first two years. Was I right about Rogers? Yes. Give Kelly some time and he will prove be a good pick

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 15, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

God call redshirt.
Eddie Royal is a tiny man, he was know for playing bigger then he is. DeShawn is a tiny man, 5-10 buck 70 wet.

People would have been killing us if we took them in the draft, it exactly like having an ARE and Moss on your team.

I was happy with the picks, even Davis when we got them and will still defend them but one has to be concerned with what they have done so far.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 15, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's one way to stop the wildcat. cheapshot the QB!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 15, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The times says Portis and Samuels will play, Heyer practiced at left tackle for Samuels, and Zorn isn't sure about Horton being able to make the game.

Posted by: craig2 | October 15, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey,

Has anyone suggested that when Cleveland does that standing-up UFO defensive formation that the offense should audible a run? Just push 'em straight back since they're all standing up.

Posted by: cmecyclist | October 15, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

oh thanks Stu--I hadn't realized DeSean was so short as well. That's basically my height.

Posted by: redskirt_ | October 15, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 15, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's draft has underwhelmed and that this team is desperately in need of a third wide receiver....how is this even debatable? - zjfr2

I would say that Thrash is a solid third receiver, he doesn't drop passes and he runs nice quick routes. Not including injuries, the only players from the draft that are underwhelming from a talent perspective are Devin Thomas and Durant Brooks. Fred Davis is a backup, Kelly is excused since he's hurt, Colt Brennan is doing his job, Horton is doing great, and everyone else is a backup. You could say that Tryon is a disappointment, but that's about it. I wouldn't say that's underwhelming, I'd say that's pretty average.

Posted by: bigphilmd | October 15, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I see both sides of the argument regarding Kelly, Thomas, and Davis. I don't think they should've drafted Kelly when they did, and I sure as hell think that drafting Davis was poor judgement.

If they wanted to get two more receivers in the draft, why not wait until the later rounds? They had other needs that should've been addressed first like LB/OL/DL.

I think it's crazy to expect these guys to contribute in 3-4 years. Yes WR's take a little longer to develop, but it isn't like they're playing QB where they'd have to know what everyone is doing on the field. The 'skins should expect steady production out of these guys by next year at the latest, if not toward the end of this season.

With that said, it isn't like these guys need to produce this season either. I thought if any of the top three picks would put up any numbers this season it would've been Thomas. However, it would be nice to have a reliabale 3rd option at WR to take some of the coverage off Moss.

I've said many-a-time that ARE isn't a #2 and Thrash is; well just Thrash at this point.

Get Thomas on the field. As chrislarry said: "lumps and all".

Posted by: RedDMV | October 15, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

+++If you think Jackson would have as many oppotunities here as he does there, you're kidding yourself.+++--FBChick

He would start by returning punts. Has a 13 yard average there. Just the TEENSIEST bit better than ARE.

As a third WR in a 3-wide formation his speed an elusiveness would not only open him up, but ease the pressure on the other two WRs.--TheCORK

+++We have the luxury of having better options while Thomas figures out he's seperation issues.+++

Really, FBChick? Really? Are you actually saying that James Thrash--LOVE his ST play--is a better option than DeSean Jackson as third WR?

Because if so, it's time to turn you over to the discussion group led by Flounder21.

Posted by: TheCork | October 15, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse