Of Thomases, Devin Closer to Return

Included among the large group of Redskins who were nursing aches and pains and didn't participate in the full practice Wednesday afternoon were guard Randy Thomas and wide receiver Devin Thomas. Of the two, the receiver seems a lot closer to returning to the field.

Randy Thomas has not been wearing pads and has not been able to participate in team drills the past couple of days because of a sore knee. Earlier in the day, offensive line coach Joe Bugel said he was concerned about his 11th-year guard.

"His knee's aching right now," Bugel said. "We want to be sure that he feels very, very good before we put him in the lineup.

After watching yet another practice from the side Wednesday afternoon, Thomas said he hopes to return to the field soon, though he's not sure when that might be.

"I'm taking it day-to-day, just something I have to let calm down on its own," he said. "But then I'll be back out there. I'm hoping tomorrow, but if it's not feeling up to par, I won't.
"I've been through this before in my career," he continued. "Got to kind of wait a minute to get going. It's a little frustrating, but I'm a pro, I'll continue to rehab and then I'll be back out there with the guys."

As for the Devin Thomas, after sitting out all of Tuesday and again Wednesday morning, the receiver says he felt ready to return to practice Wednesday afternoon. Coaches were being extra cautious, though, and wanted him to wait. Thomas, who's been nursing a sore hamstring, says he hopes to be wearing pads when the team practices Thursday morning.

"It's one of those things that's been hurt before so it gets sore sometimes," he said. "You just want to be smart and make sure it doesn't pull. There's no point in me getting setback, especially after last year, so we just want to stay on top of it, so that doesn't happen."

Though coaches don't seem too concerned about their young receivers' health, Wednesday afternoon's practice provided an eerie site: Both Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly were among the injured doing sidework instead of full team drills. Last season, both were injured early in training camp.

But Kelly stayed after practice and ran routes with quarterback Jason Campbell. Kelly said he wasn't hurt and coaches were just being cautious and giving him and his knee some rest.

"Even with the two-a-days before camp they said I was just going to do one, do the hard practice in the morning, do some conditioning and stuff in the evening, and then just ice it after the second one," Kelly said. "That's really what it is. It's just a precaution. And it's helping out a lot."

By Rick Maese  |  August 5, 2009; 5:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Practice Updates
Next: Rinehart Gets Chance to Step Up

Comments

Wednesday PM practice report By Ryan O'Halloran on Aug. 5, 2009
Redskins 360

The Redskins went through a 64-minute workout this afternoon in shorts and shells. Before getting to some of the practice highlights, the latest injury report.

*Offense injuries: WR Devin Thomas (hamstring), WR Malcolm Kelly (hamsgtring), FB Eddie Williams (hamstring), G Reuben Riley (ankle), RT Mike Williams (groin) and RG Randy Thomas (knee) did not practice. LT Chris Samuels did not do much of anything and had ice applied to both of his knees.

C Casey Rabach (calf) returned after missing most of the morning session.

Judging by what the players were doing on a side field, Kelly's injury appears less serious than Thomas'. Kelly was doing short sprints and after practice, ran routes and caught passes from all four quarterbacks. Thomas was limited to light jogging.

*Defense injuries: CB Carlos Rogers (calf), LB Alfred Fincher (unknown because Jim Zorn didn't speak afterward), DT Lorenzo Alexander (ditto), DT Anthony Montgomery (knee) and DL J.D. Skolnitsky (hamstring). DL Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin and Albert Haynesworth did individual drills before moving to agility on a side field -- that was as scheduled.

*Zorn said a team prayer after practice for offensive coordinator Sherman Smith, whose father died this week after a lenghty illness. Smith missed practice today and yesterday but is expected to be back Thursday.

*The fast-paced practice jumped right into red zone offense, where Jason Campbell was really sharp in connecting with Chris Cooley a few times in the end zone.

*S Reed Doughty had two pass break-ups.

*Newcomers D.J. Hackett and Michael Marquardt went through both practices in their first days with the team. The Redskins' roster is back at 80 players.

*Two practices tomorrow: 8:30 a.m. (open) and 3 p.m. (closed).

-- Ryan O'Halloran

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 5, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

who will be the FIRST o-lineman to get shut down for the yr? by injury or performance?

Posted by: skins1110 | August 5, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

3nd

Posted by: jmicrodoc | August 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the report 4th, even if you did just steal the all important "First"

Posted by: skins1110 | August 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Randy Thomas situation wee bit unsettling. I shall try to put on a happy face.

I know I'm about to get electronic tomatoes thrown at me but is anyone going to the DC United v. Real Madrid soccer match Sunday at FedEx?
Been watching some of the matches on TeeVee and there has been some amazing soccah. . . .

[Please insert middle school insults about soccer here but try to be original.]

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Soups on the cover of SI next week:

Should we start freaking out about this now?

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Sfskin; for what it's worth, I'm going to the Houston Dynamo game on Sunday.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 5, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the report 4th, even if you did just steal the all important "First"

Posted by: skins1110 | August 5, 2009 5:19 PM

If your name is 4th, how can you post 1st?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 5, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Got a real chuckle out of one of the drills. The scoop and score.

*The special teams debuted the "Scoop & Score" drill where the player rushes the punter, knocks the ball out of his hands and then tries to scoop and score."

Though I've seen some crazy improvised stuff following bad snaps and so forth ... I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a punter get a ball knocked out of his hands ... 40 years of watching football -- don't ever recall that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Scoop & Score may be a variation on the more frequently seen Roughing the Kicker drill, which involves...well, you know.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 5, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 5, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams is "painful to watch"
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 5, 2009 6:08 PM ET
The return of Redskins tackle Mike Williams to the NFL was a story perfectly constructed for a Sunday morning newspaper feature.

The pitch: Former top-five pick returns to the NFL after three seasons off, shedding more than 100 pounds and a "bust" label, all for the love of the game.

There's only one problem: the guy still can't cut it at the pro level.

The Washington Post's Jason Reid writes, "It has been painful to watch tackle Mike Williams in pass protection since camp opened . . . you don't need to be a player, scout or coach to know he doesn't belong on a football field right now in a competitive environment."

(Taking out PFT Style Book . . .)

Boom. Roasted.

The news isn't surprising; Williams is playing in a new body after missing so much time.

And while the Redskins haven't invested money in him yet, they are sorely needing some good news on their paper-thin offensive line.

Line coach Joe Bugel says he's "concerned" with right guard Randy Thomas, who is struggling to return from knee surgery. (He also had a serious neck injury last year.)

"Randy's had some problems," Bugel said.

He's not the only one. The Redskins aging line has suffered an assortment of injuries, and struggled throughout camp.

If the Redskins are to live up to Mr. Florio's optimistic prediction for them, they are going to need to solve some problems up front.

Mike Williams, for one, doesn't look like the answer.

Posted by: GreatCeasarsGhost | August 5, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, and kinda glad Rinehart's in there. Randy's string of injuries worries me. Makes him seem like another Jansen. Just an opinion, I know he was better than Jansen ever was.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 5, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Question:

"Who will be the FIRST o-lineman to get shut down for the yr? by injury or performance?"

Answer:

Randy Thomas, injury not performance

'nuther question:

Will Thomas be the next vet to be shown the axe, a la Jon Jansen?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Stumped - very nice. Makes me do the happy dance. : )

JohnD - MLS has some good stuff but it's nothing compared to the top flight Euro teams. Talk about beauty in motion . . .we'll get there eventually. The nice thing about the increasing popularity of soccah here is the sportscasters covering the game are better and are starting to do a really nice job of explaining to the layperson the finesse and intricacies of the sport (which personally I didn't really get till I started playing.)

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I personally believe that many US Americans are unable to like soccer because some people out there don't have balls and I believe that our soccer everywhere such as the Premier League and the Bundesleague like such as and that our soccer should help the US or should help the South Africa World Cup and the Asian teams so that we will be able to build up our soccer future.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

It seems like "The Mayor" was pretty hard on Mike Williams. I mean he was an obvious soft target and he really unloaded on the dude. Next time if he wants to put another "notch" on his belt maybe he will pick on somebody who isn't as easy to beat down.

(For those wondering what the term "soft target" means, here is a Wiki def: "Soft target is a military term referring to unarmored/undefended targets needing to be destroyed.")

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 5, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Stumped - do you one better than the cover. Live in person:

Gave me goosebumps and makes my heart go pitter pat.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh lord now I've gone and done it. Wandering down memory lane on youtube.

The upside is it's making me really excited for the season.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

From RI: "Of Thomases, Devin Closer to Return"

As long as we're on the subject of Thomases, there is another one in DC who calls himself Clarence and is a Supreme Court justice. The dude has spent most of his adult life in DC and he is a rabid Cowboys fan. What a turncoat. I looked up his bio and there is no part of his life when he lived in or near Texas, giving him any kind of a plausible claim to be a Cowboys fan other than he wants to be a frontrunner. Or mebbe it's because Texas is a blood red state and he is a Rush Limbaugh conservative.

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 5, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

You are just now realizing Justice Thomas is a dbag? Dallas thing is like the final topping.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 5, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay promise this is the last one but watch it if you haven't and even if you have.

I LOVE FOOTBALL but more importantly I HATE DALLAS but even most importantly I LOVE THE REDSKINS!!!

HTTR HTTR HTTR - pre season issues be damned I'm drinking the Kool Aid . . . well for a few hours at least.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

sf,
Good to see you back up here on the old RI blog.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Stumped. Trying to 'air myself out' before school starts again and I don't have as much leisure time to get all riled up. . . .or at least to post my rilings.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

sfskin,

that hit by #21 was all man, what a game!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 5, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

sfskin bringing the heat after long hiatus.....

Throw some of that Kool-aid ova here!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm, Kool-aid, always goes down smooth--cough...ahem...OL Thomas just gave me the hiccups. I smell arthroscopic in his future of the 4-6 week recovery variety. "Loose cartilage" my ass. Just speculation, as if it doesn't go unsaid. Up here. Just playin doctor but if Buges is worried, that old hog will hunt.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 5, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Kids - I believe the take away lesson from todays news headlines is:

Don't hide your bribe money in your freezer.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Ah its good to be back and see Beantown fighting logic with his burgundy and gold colored glasses where everything in Redskins land is wonderful despite the oline that is "2/5ths" new not being able to practice together and there being no depth behind the already injured starters. But don't tell him things are scary, Cerrato is a genius and our band of undrafted free agents and guys that have never played any significant professional football behind our old injury prone starters are all diamonds in the rough and the saviors of our seasons just like the last 10 years of Snyder's guidance has produced solid decision making and consistent quality on the field......just wait and see.....(that phrase will be on his tombstone btw)

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 5, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Great reporting JR, they have finally let you out that slave ship you have been reporting from. Feel really good seeing a black face in from of a newspaper who would hire a black reporter till 1981.

Posted by: whitewomenloveblackmen | August 5, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whitewomenloveblackmen | August 5, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

The upside is it's making me really excited for the season.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 7:06 PM |
=============================================

Based on your previous post, I coulda sweared you were going with this one.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 5, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

From RI: "Of Thomases, Devin Closer to Return"

Posted by: CottonEyeJoe | August 5, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse
=======================================

There is always some JA or two (See ChrisLarry Mo and Curly) who feels the need to bring their political views into sports!!! I've lived in the Washington area all my life and know plenty of Cowboys, Eagles and Giants fans. Are they all "front runners" too?? No, but then again, that really wasn't the purpose of your pathetic rant was it!!! When is the Post going to install the Troll Filter!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 5, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

dkidwell61 punctuates like a girl.

Posted by: mack1 | August 5, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

dkidwell61 punctuates pretty gude for a Supreme Court justicerator.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 5, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Clinton Portis smokes pot! Can't say the same for a certain iggle..

I got nothing against drug use--including Pharmaceutical and over the counter--but I feel like the users are the ones that are injury prone. I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Vicc | August 5, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Frakky Terbakky Time!!

Pot is medicine, c'mon..Izz a governmant conspiracy, maaan!!!

This one goes out to periculum, for divine cynicism and international repukes..

Boogie Til You Puke

Dare To Be Fat

Did you know Root was a frat brother of Dubya at Yale?? That explains his overdose assassination and death in the gutter, I guess..Long Live Root Boy!!

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Cou;ldn't find "You Broke My Mood Ring", dammit..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Just finished catching up on the blog for the day. I've gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed that no mirth was made with "salty bunch."

I know it's still preseason and all, and commenters aren't yet into game shape, but if you can't even pick off the low-hanging fruit in August....I don't know. Doesn't bode well for the season.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 5, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh man Frak - you're my hero! Root Boy Slim! A friend of mine's father owned a club called "The 3 Macs" in Silver Spring - he let his sons pick some talent to play there, and of course, Root Boy Slim came to play ... ah, memories!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 5, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Redskins need help on the offensive line so they go out and sign a wide receiver and a DEFENSIVE lineman. Brilliant!

I wonder if they ever had GM's do the Wonderlic test. Vinny would probably score a negative three.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 5, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Root Boy, Zappa, Beefheart, Waits, Hendrix...My salad days before the injections of military school..They condition you to hate your innate creativity, turn you into a yuppie, gaaaa!! Yuppie til you puke..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 10:07 PM |
====================================

Salute to Root Boy Slim, thanks frak.

I'll not blame any of Dubya's crimes on the Root Boy, though.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 5, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"...This one goes out to periculum,..."

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009

Someone once told me you have to say his name three times before he appears.

Posted by: Vicc | August 5, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the magic phrase is "Priest Holmes".

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

They used to grow government reefer over there in Greenbelt, big fields of it. The US Gov't grows it all over , its dope medicine, very valuable..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

If you have ESPN2 check out FC Barcelona (arguably best pro club team in the world_ v. MLS Seattle Sounders . . .yes it is soccah again but hey sports fans this is good stuff.

I promise, cross my heart, scouts honor no more soccer posts until next Wednesday.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Having never been drug tested - presumably the test shows levels of THC etc. in your system.

So do you suppose the NFL makes the baseline level fairly high? I just can't believe it's a zero tolerance policy.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

(I can't wait)"...until next Wednesday."

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Payback, maybe.

Posted by: Vicc | August 5, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope so Vicc although our record in Azteca is erghh.

Hey do you think I can get a $97.5 million contract extension? Seems a reasonable request for a public h.s. teacher right?

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

so far, we're faring better than the Eagles. Yeah yeah yeah Yeah yeah yeah

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 5, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey do you think I can get a $97.5 million contract extension?
If you're willing to sign a 732-year deal, with $42,975 guaranteed in biweekly increments over the next year...

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

So random question for discussion just for SJKs and giggles.

Which NFL division is the toughest this upcoming season?

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

We might be able to bump that up a bit if you're left-footed.

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

732 years? Well they are making rapid advances in science but I'd hate to be my student when I'm 500 years old . . . on the other hand being a history teacher it would be a huge advantage.

So I can actually answer 'Yes' to the occaisonaly smart SJK question "How do you know? Where you there?"

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Reefer's like good sex, it relaxes the sh*t out of the para/sympathetic nervous system, making healing more concentrated, like deep sleep does..Very cost effective health care..

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

If it weren't for Cleveland, that would be an easy answer.
So, I'll take the NFC East and we'll seehow the chips fall.
Different question -- which NFL team (other than the Lions) will face relegation?

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Chris Horton has already displayed his intelligence and leadership.In fact the rookie is so bold that he adopts an "alias" in predator and started his own website.This kid is smart and bold for such a greenie.He will be the leader of the "D" once fletcher and Daniels retire.I hope he doesnt get the ryan clark treatment.

Posted by: mark65 | August 5, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm what about Cinci?

I say oddly enough NFC South may be in contention although I wouldn't say any of them is a full blown powerhouse team.

Also AFC East maybe given last season?

I'd argue NFC East too although both us and Philly are wild cards.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

732 years? Well they are making rapid advances in science...

Well, it's a little more backloaded than Albert Haynesworth's. You can think of it as a 20-year at $44,500 per year, with a pizza party and Costco cake at the end.

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Will this pizza party happen somewhere in the nether regions of the galaxy? I mean 732 years is a lot of R&D time. I want to beam to my Farrell's party on the outer moon of as yet to be discovered planet.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm what about Cinci?

Whoops, it's preseason. I had mentally promoted Tennessee to the AFC North.

If I had to bet, AFC East will revert to tradition, Jets will suffer Sanchez' OJT, Fins will run out of gimmicks, and Bills are just the Bills.

Nope, all in all, NFC East has four teams that can make your team look bad.

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Will this pizza party happen somewhere in the nether regions of the galaxy?

Just depends on when the Costco opens there.

Posted by: daggar | August 5, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Is Leftwich the starter in TB?

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Also AFC East maybe given last season?

I'd argue NFC East too although both us and Philly are wild cards.

Posted by: sfskin |

Entire NFL is anxiously anticipating the return of Tom Brady..If He is healthy, they instantly become the Championship threat..

Eli may have thought our defense was tough the last coupla years , BUT this version is gonna make him a good mantelpiece, beside the Romo and McNabb heads...

Posted by: frak | August 5, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Brady coming back is big but I just don't know if NE is that dominant any more.

Thinking this is the twilight in Philly for McNabb and Eli may revert to being pre SB Eli.

The brutal NFC East defensive tradition is back though.

Posted by: sfskin | August 5, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Living in NE at the time, I was able to watch the historic destruction of defenses by Brady , Moss, and Belichek, on a first hand basis..Brady's knee health is crucial..

Posted by: frak | August 6, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

FC Barca is just toying with those Seattles..Like theyre the red team playing in the tidal weeds..

Posted by: frak | August 6, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Can Devin Thomas even take a breath w/out tweaking a hamstring? Maybe if Randy Thomas goes out; Vinny will sign another D-lineman.

Posted by: skinhead62 | August 6, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah it's like watching Pop Warner v. Penn State.
Man Barca is impressive. . . .oops broke my vow . . .sorry.

Posted by: sfskin | August 6, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

spoken like a person who's had neither good reefer or good sex. Because good reefer and good sex are nothing alike ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 6, 2009 4:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow...Malcolm Kelly and Thomas on the injury list again. What a surprise.

This team will be as bad as the Bengals (minus Ochocinco and Palmer) if Vinny is given a few more drafts to screw up.

I also read a report not too long ago that called Kelly a "veteran." Doesn't one have to actually play in games to be an NFL veteran?

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 6, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 6, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

I love Joe Bugel, but in his old age, I think he is getting attached to the People on the team instead of the Players. At this point, we have an old line. And, we have nothing behind them.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 6, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Geez, camp has just started and our O-Line is banged up like it just played the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys in consecutive road games. We need to bring in some linemen, now, lest the season be lost before the first pre-season kick-off. A line that can't even practice is going to decimated - progressively more, and embarrassingly so - as the season progresses. Cerrato's has believed for three years now that you can squeeze another season from an over-the-hill line. As bad as last season was, it looks like this will be the one where the last tether breaks completely and we become the league's worst offense. Instead of feel-good stories about Mike Williams, can we have one about how desperate it was for Cerrato to bring him in and how it reflects his disrespect for the O-line generally, how his skilled position fetish will likely ruin team prospects for the season?

As long as Cerrato doesn't trade a first or second for an over-the-hill prospect like Jason Taylor, he needs to consider trades to bring in a solid, youngish-mid-career starter - or two - right away. Problem is, I think he's become so sensitive to O-line criticism that he is now neglecting it on purpose to prove his hegemony over the team and immunity from criticism. He will find out this year, from a critical, albeit slow-to-pull-the trigger WA Post, angry fans, lost attendance, frustrated players (cue the Portis & Campbell 'if I only had good blockers' quote) and, ultimately, a pink slip from Danny under said pressure when the offense grinds to a halt.

Posted by: SammyT1 | August 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

sammyt: "Problem is, I think he's become so sensitive to O-line criticism that he is now neglecting it on purpose to prove his hegemony over the team and immunity from criticism"

I think that's the first time 'hegemony' has ever been used in a football blog.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

By my informal count, 80% of posts are now about the offensive line. Overwhelmingly disparaging, of course.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does anybody have something new to say?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 6, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I dont think that alot of these guys take staying in shape seriously as they should in the offseason. Yes, recievers do a lot of running and hamstrings can happen, but if it's the same person or a a large amount of people, there's definitely an issue.

Posted by: impervious99 | August 6, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Projection.... Washington, with the #1 selection of the first round, selects Tim Tebow of Florida.

No OL = lots of injuries to skill players = No points