Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 12/ 2/2010

Offensive line clicking for Giants

By Jason Reid

When the Redskins face the New York Giants on Sunday at New Meadowlands Stadium, they will encounter formidable challenges.

With an average of 387 yards per game, the Giants have the league's third-ranked offense. The Giants (7-4) also have the second-ranked defense, and the successful units have helped them earn a share of the NFC East lead with the Philadelphia Eagles.

For the Giants to be so productive, their offensive line must perform well, and it definitely did in the first 11 games, Giants Coach Tom Coughlin said. And the group has been downright outstanding in pass protection.

Among NFL quarterbacks with at least 250 pass attempts, Giants quarterback Eli Manning has been sacked the fewest times (12). Manning is tied for the league lead with 23 touchdown passes, and the line is giving him time to make big plays in the passing game.

"We have done a good job at that and, obviously, he [Manning] has made a strong contribution to that as well," Coughlin said the other day during a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "He's moved well.

"He's been able to get us into a protection any number of times, which would allow whatever pressure is coming to get picked up. He's also gotten the ball out of his hands quicker and better reaction from our receivers and tight ends. It's been a team function."

Usually, the Giants' blocking schemes have been highly effective, Coughlin said.

"Our offensive line and backs have done a good job," he said. "We've kept the tight end in.

"We've used various forms of as close to max protection as you can get.
We've been able to do it with the some frequency. It's been a team effort as well."

By Jason Reid  | December 2, 2010; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb hopes to keep Giants rushers on their heels
Next: Artis Hicks benched for Will Montgomery

Comments

Wow, it's feast or famine around here. Careful Reid, don't blow your load of posts too early, you won't have anything to post later. Not complaining really, just want them spaced out a little.

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are only 6.5 point dogs. I think Vegas sees this game as a trap. The Giants lack of viable receivers gives us a solid chance at winning this game outright. Pound James Davis and hit em deep with play action. I like the Skins in an upset this week.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 2, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

O-Etrod

I'm ok with Moss leaving in Free Agency in the offseason

I dunno.

I'd resign Moss to a 2 year deal with some nice upfront money, and then go after VJax with big money.

Next year, I feature:

Jackson-Moss-Cooley-Armstrong

If you are signalling your committment to D McNabb with an extension, then get him a nice array of targets.

Those four guys plus some drafted interior linemen are a nice start.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 2, 2010 10:16 AM |

Yea, because that has been working well.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I like McNabb in a body cast after this game....with Rabach suffering a concussion after he gets pancaked 15 times in a row....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

bean

I like McNabb in a body cast after this game....

Indeed.

McNabb will get hit by the jints' defensive line like a trailer park wife in a bad fight with her husband/brother.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Giants Suck

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

omg... i see people are still harping on moss (and cooley) for those drops last week. they're both probably still among the league leaders not dropping the ball, and they're our BEST RECEIVERS. the idea that we're bettor off w/o them is insane.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 2, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

agreed, giants f-in suck

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 2, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

This Giant Offensive line is one of the reasons we need to switch back to the 4-3. We need player who can provide that pressure every play like Dexter Manley (right end), Charles Mann (left end) Dave Butts (left tackle) and Darral Grant (right tackle). Whoops... they're not on the team anymore are they?? Guess I'm still living in the past...? I would settle for Orakpo, Carter, Hayneswork, and Golsten though!

Posted by: harryrainbolt | December 2, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: harryrainbolt | December 2, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

omg... i see people are still harping on moss (and cooley) for those drops last week. they're both probably still among the leaders not dropping the ball, and they're our BEST RECEIVERS. the idea that we're bettor off w/o them is insane.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | December 2, 2010 10:31 AM |

I hear you. That and the propensity to covet other teams' players and hastily project them into the lineup.

What an insane exercise. VJax now has two bum calves and could probably be caught from behind by Haynesworth while he's eating a bearclaw.

I wonder how many other teams' fans are wishing they had someone from the Redskins.

ColtsFan1: Man, Jacob Tamme is really taking a beating after filling in for Dallas Clark.

ColtsFan2: Yeah, I wish we could go after either Chris Cooley or Fred Davis. The Skins would surly be willing to part with one of those very talented TE's.

ColtsFan1: Yeah, nice call. I'd offer a conditional 3rd.

ColtsFan2: Dude, the Skins have less draft picks than they do wins. Offer 'em a 5th and say take it or leave it.

Book it.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

they're (Moss/Cooley)both probably still among the league leaders not dropping the ball

True.

But what fans haven't noticed is that there seems to be some definition to our passing game now.

Each receiver/tight end has a defined role:

Armstrong--deep

Moss--medium/crossing

Cooley--crossing/hitches/underneath

Davis--out cuts/curls/hitches

Any kind of serious running attack will make this approach fairly successful.

(You really now wonder what this new offensive approach would look like if CP was a healthy threat.)

You just have to hope that at some point Torain either gets healthy or Williams becomes dependable.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Bench Rabach and Hicks, Enough already!!! Lets see if Monty is the answer at center for the future.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 2, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 2, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts on this:

First, the places I get my lines from all have the game at 7, a full TD. That is a significant PS in the NFL. There are only 4 games with higher lines this week.

Second, what in the world did you see from Davis last week that makes you want to feature him this week?

Granted, our O Line is not playing well, but JD did not look like an NFL player to me vs. the Vikings. He did nothing, in fact if not for a lucky bounce on that pass he blew it was a pick six and he's the goat of the game, destined for the cut line.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Davis had a very good burst at Clemson and looked good in the Browns camp last year. 6.5 or 7 points for a home favorite is not a "lock" by any means.

If he hadn't gotten hurt, he could've seen some quality playing time last year.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 2, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why you still bother making NFL observations when you are as obviously "challenged" as you are.

Jacob Tamme has "Blown Up" in the 5 games since Clark went out. His stats are among the best of any TE in the game since he took the starting job. And his production since Clark went down has dwarfed what Cooley has done in the same time frame.

Do you even follow the league or do you just come on here to make things up and sound like a fool?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

We need player who can provide that pressure every play like Dexter Manley (right end), Charles Mann (left end) Dave Butts (left tackle) and Darral Grant (right tackle). Whoops... Posted by: harryrainbolt | December 2, 2010 10:46 AM

Please stop, you are giving me goose bumps!

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The Giants are going to finish what Philly started. They'll probably hold the ball for 50 minutes. I predict HUGE games for Jacobs & Bradshaw.

Eli's going to pick apart the secondary like he always does. It doesn't matter who he has for wideouts this week.

D. Thomas getting the gatorade shower this week? Because that's how gutless the Redskins are....

Posted by: Scoonie97 | December 2, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 10:59 AM |

Dude, don't be such a doosh bag. I own Jacob Tamme and I am 100,000% accurate when I say he's been taking a beating. He has been seen leaving the stadium barely able to walk and his back is requiring needles just to play. I know his stats my hair-splitting friend. I was merely making the point that there is probably no one on the planet that's coveting any Skins players.

I feel sorry for people that read blogs, then post their own responses and then have the balls to respond to a response having completely missed the point.

You sir are a giant bag of doosh.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

You are a clown PF, everyone knows it.

Once again you back talk your way out of an idiotic statement.

Oh, an NFL player is taking a beating?

Stop the presses!

WTF are you talking about?

Every NFL player takes a beating slow boy.

PLEASE GO AWAY!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 10:59 AM |

he comes here to be a pain in the ass, which he does well

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 10:48 AM |

It's called the Snyder/Cerrato Syndrome.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The napalm fumes are becoming overwhelming...irregardless...I need to sit down.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The napalm fumes are becoming overwhelming...irregardless...I need to sit down.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 11:12 AM |

Irregardless?

I rest my case.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

In 91 I think Rypien was sacked 10 or less times ALL FRIGGIN SEASON. No wonder we won the SB.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 2, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

We would have beat Marino and the Dolphin's record for least amout of sacks in a year but we played Philly the last game and pulled most of our starters and they got some sacks in garbage duty. Damn Eagles!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Every NFL player takes a beating slow boy.

PLEASE GO AWAY!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:10 AM |

Graham Gano does? You don't know anything about football! Do you even possess the ability to tell time? I am able to extrapolate something that contradicts your inane statement and now I consider you to be a form of intelligence even below carbon based life forms.

(See what I mean you fu*king dooshbag?)

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

That's right, I have to start calling you TweedleDee don't I?

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 9:55 AM

Well according to the Almighty and Powerful Oz of the board you do.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Better not talk about him anymore, he'll get those flying monkeys and midgets to come get me!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 10:48 AM |

It's called the Snyder/Cerrato Syndrome.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 2, 2010 11:12 AM

I would say it's more the Snyder Syndrome than Cerrato....he was just the enabler/cloak to hide behind....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Irregardless?

I rest my case.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:15 AM

Thought you would like that one

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Every NFL player takes a beating slow boy.

PLEASE GO AWAY!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:10 AM |

Graham Gano does?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

He could, don't jinx it!! Remember Bryan Barker broke his nose against Dallas Thanksgiving Day a few years ago, yuck!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You know what PF?

One day you will probably wake up and have a revelation.

As you have been swimming up stream in life trying to figure out why everyone you come into contact with thinks you are the most ridiculous, slow witted, ignorant, hateful, rotten piece of humanity that they have ever met, you will finally figure out- "Hey maybe it's not everyone else- maybe it's me. Maybe I am the idiot that everyone has been calling me all this time. Maybe I should change."

Until that day, I am putting you back on ITA status.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Every NFL player takes a beating slow boy.

PLEASE GO AWAY!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:10 AM |
--------

Graham Gano does?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:20 AM |
--------

I'd call p_f response above desperate. maybe you should jump in your bmw and go away georgetown boy

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

he'll get those flying monkeys and midgets to come get me!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 11:23 AM

I think they like to be referred to as Oompa-Loompas.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:05 AM

I doubt that seriously, unless you're referring to Skins getting hig draft picks for their players. Devin Thomas is an example of teams looking at Skins players.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

You know what PF?

One day you will probably wake up and have a revelation.

Until that day, I am putting you back on ITA status.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:29 AM |

The fact that you equate a fu*king blog to be analogous to "everyone" I come into contact with only further validates my assertion that you have no detectable grasp on reality.

When I walk into a room full of losers....and none of them like me......how am I not an utter freaking winner?

Ponder that as you brood and marinate in your pathetic existence while assuming blog=real life.

(total fu*king ownage)

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

PF is playing the Courtland Finnegan game........

He pushes your buttons and switches up mid sentence to only drive you crazy and blow up....then he can just step back and watch and ask the next guy, 'What's wrong with that dude? He's going bat sh!t crazy for nothing.'

I see he has reeled in a few victims this morning....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:32 AM |

Beamers are for college kids. Too much plastic incorporated into the interior and the iDrive is useless. I opt for the "other" make.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Moe, you forgot to mention uncle.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

(total fu*king ownage)

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM |

this from a moron that thinks he owns everyone on the same blog he describes as fictitious.

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:05 AM

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM |

You just proved my point for me. You just said other "teams looking at skins players."

Looking doesn't mean coveting/wanting/desiring or planning to pursue. The people here covet VJax, LMankins, etc.

I would bet a substantial sum that the G-Spots were not salivating when they saw DT come available. They probably had the same reaction as the Delta Chi dudes when considering Flounder as a pledge.

"We need the dues." I vaguely remember. That's about how anxious the G-Spots were bring in and ultimately sign DT.

Book me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Irregardless is an informal term commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect".

You can achieve the same outcome you desire if you simply use "regardless."

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Rich on Twitter

Artis Hicks says Will Montgomery is the new starting right guard.

45 minutes ago

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Book me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

We'll leave that up to the DC cops who pick you up for vagrancy as you huddle around a steam vent tonight.

ITA back on.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Book me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

ITA back on.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 11:53 AM |

cosign

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

we're effed

59-28 giants

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

You can achieve the same outcome you desire if you simply use "regardless."

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 11:49 AM |

Irregardless is an ear-piercing alarm indicating the speaker's ignorance and placing them in the company of other losers who say:

For all intensive purposes, should of, could care less (which actually means you care), touching basis, etc.

I'd like to get back to the 'Skins instead of continually bludgeoning nitwits.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

ahem...twis thanks for the football related post....lets see what this cat's got...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I told you Artis Hicks wasn't an upgrade AND the new MGMT didn't do their job well!

Priority 1 should have been upgrade the line
2 - don't F up the defense
3 - upgrade RBs
4 - WRs

they did none of it NONE I TELLS YA... NONE.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I also love how some here type some code for 'ignoring' so they don't have to respond when called out because....well....they are ill-equipped to do so.

Here's the truth:

No one ever ignores!

They simply cannot bear the 'not-knowing'.

If you haven't guessed, I tend to enjoy owning the morons as much as I do reflecting on the threads here relative to my team of teams.

I'd never ignore anyone here. It's too much fun for me.

One word:

Catharsis

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

^^^assbaggus

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

red, how ya been??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The napalm fumes are becoming overwhelming...regardless...I need to sit down.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins don't match up with NY on either side of the ball.

The Redskins OL is going to get manhandled.

The DL is going to get pushed off the ball in the middle and only on his few snaps will Haynesworth create any real pressure.

NY doesn't have half its receiving corps, so this won't be a high scoring game.

But NY will bludgeon the Redskins to death and the Redskins will turn the ball over on a sack/fumble or interception that will lead to the winning points in the end.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | December 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Hoping for another quarterback knock out!

Don't forget to check in with the Giants Gnome after the game!

Posted by: giantsgnome | December 2, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Well we saw what happened when the skins had 2 weeks to prepare to control Michael Vick.

Because the skins always seem to be a step behind what's really happening, I suspect that the Giants have already heard that McNabb will be ready for their pass rush. With what? Probably screen or dump-off passes which they will be looking for. I expect to see at least one interception by the Giants defensive line.

Posted by: keedrow | December 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

(total fu*king ownage)

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM |

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

He's trying to make us like his Cabbage Patch Doll collection at home: except the black dolls, he hung them from the end of his bunk bed.....

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes major brands do give out samples of their popular products best place is "123 Get Samples" search online, I just received mine

Posted by: kathrynmerry | December 3, 2010 4:46 AM | Report abuse