Chad Rinehart back to full strength

Chad Rinehart has had a rough eight months. In Week 11 against the Dallas Cowboys last season, the right guard suffered a broken fibula that ended his season. He had started four games before the injury.

Then in January he was arrested for public intoxication at a pizza place in Iowa. Now the Redskins' third round selection in 2008 is looking to put the turbulence behind him and compete for a job on a revamped offensive line.

"It was definitely frustrating," the Northern Iowa product said. "It took about a month longer before I started running than I expected. In OTAs and stuff I wasn't moving as well as I wanted to or used to. Coming back into camp right now, I feel like I'm back to 100 percent and I don't really notice the injury anymore."

When the 6-foot-5 Rinehart met with coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the offseason, they talked about him losing weight. Shanahan has been known to favor lighter, quicker offensive lineman in his zone-blocking scheme. Rinehart said he has dropped 10 pounds from last season and
now weighs 310 pounds.

Other than that, he said there hasn't been too much difference for him in the Shanahan Era.

"The schemes haven't been too different [than under former head coach Jim Zorn]," he
said. "A lot of it is the same techniques, and we've done some zone blocking in the past."

Shanahan told reporters that he's been impressed with Rinehart and his recovery, but currently has Artis Hicks at right guard with the first team.

"We got 14 offensive linemen and we got a lot of guys that are part of the 80 that got a chance to make our football team so Chad's in the mix," Shanahan said. "I think he's really made some strides since his injuries. In the OTAs, you could see that he was really favoring that
leg. Now he's looking much more comfortable being in football shape and you can see he's pretty close to being healed."

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 2, 2010; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Offensive line , training camp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rex Grossman out front in backup QB race
Next: Haynesworth takes another day off to rest knee, no end in sight

Comments

BUST

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"When the 6-foot-5 Rinehart met with coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the offseason, they talked about him losing weight."

maybe the conversation involved some gentle discussion of cutting back on late night pizza runs?

he's fine as a backup, and the marketing opportunities are endless.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"Chad's in the mix" = practice body

Posted by: edvar | August 2, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If Rhinehart can't beat out journeyman Hicks going into his third year you can officially label him a bust. Looks like Kelly and Rhino are washing out of the 2008 class. If Thomas loses out to Galloway for the #2 spot he goes on the list as well.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, this silly theme based around defecation is as dumb or dumber than your moodlymoomoo blog handle. Please give us a break.

Question for the group: how many different handles does moo/poopy have?

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM
----------------

Boy, monkeymayo, now I'd love nothing more than to leave an "upper decker" in your house.

Also, this is my only "handle" and I've probably been posting on WaPo longer than you have so eat my fart.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and monkeymayo, I've got some monkey mayonaise right here for ya.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

It's shark week on Discovery which reminds me...Sharks have a week dedicated to me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 1, 2010 9:43 PM |

Pathetic. Has nothing original to post so he scams a Dos Equis commercial.

Posted by: Yammerstein | August 2, 2010 7:24 AM

I'm not familiar with your contributions to the blog under the handle Yammerstein so I can't comment on your originality. Perhaps if you would share with me all your various handles, I would be more familiar with your efforts.

Oh and if I was to punch you in the face you would have to resist the urge to Thank Me.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

so where are the Chad Rinehart fans?

(silence)

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Any word on how our 6th round TE pick Dennis Morris is coming along? Or on Erik Cooke and Selvish Capers, our 7th round O line wonderkinds? I'm hoping for a nice surprise or two in there...

Posted by: edvar | August 2, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

so where are the Chad Rinehart fans?

(silence)

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who wants to get drunk and eat pizza is good in my book.

As a football player I don't really care for him.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

So sorry, Rhino, but when Shanny says a guy is "in the mix" it means you're one foot out the door already.

Posted by: pgugino | August 2, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

so where are the Chad Rinehart fans?

(silence)

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

I don't think he'll make the team or any other for that matter. He's struggling to play guard after two full seasons and apparently doesn't get reps with the first team...new blood is needed.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 6:10 PM

indeed, free pizza actually tastes better after a couple of beers...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | August 2, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Hey poopy, don't sh't yourself. That joke was really to try to bait moo into some sort of i'm-not-poopy-that-guys-a-moron type of statement, so it really wasn't directed at you. As for your fantastic tenure on Wapo, congratulations! I'm not sure what we would do without horrible witless poop jokes...really, producing quality material like that must be exhausting.
But seriously poopy, it's ok. I have met some people who are as juvenile and annoying that you and they aren't bad in small doses.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

We need Rhino to become good. His size is ideal, someone needs to coach him up... maybe cut him off from pizza completely until he gets mean.

Posted by: unquiltom | August 2, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Mike Golic passed the shuttle test

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 2, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 5:54 PM

Not sure if I'd dole out the "bust" label for a 3rd rounder...those picks are low cost and typically pretty hit-or-miss. I know ANY pick can be hit or miss, but the guys you're really counting on to start and play well are the guys you take in the 1st and 2nd round. Anything beyond that is gravy, IMO.

Ideally, you'd like your 3rd rounders to start but it doesn't exactly work out that way all the time, even for the best teams. I know the literal term "bust" pertains to being a failure or flop, but in my mind the spirit of it is assigned more to high picks where you have high expectations and a ton of money invested in the player. Neither were applied to Rinehart.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: unquiltom | August 2, 2010 6:24 PM

thats what Joe Bugel always said about him, Rine-o has "a mean streak." i dunno, i haven't really seen that, but what do i know? i hope Erik Cook beats him out, though.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 6:34 PM

good points, but I'd say Rinehart is a bust if he can't nail down a backup position.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

FWIW

Maybe Golic would like to play NT. Too funny.

Posted by: skinswest

Everyone who backed AH should watch that video. Golic is pushing 50 and hasn't played in 16 years and he can out run AH. Golic, without a season of football to train for, passed, and the day AH reported to training camp he couldn't pass. AH is dog cr'p.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

where are all the AH apologists now? Mike Golic completed the shuttle test and this is from a man who's manning the desk with greenberg. AH needs to be cast adrift....so long sheizkopf

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

first stab-in-the-dark at possible regular season WR depth chart...

Moss
DT
Galloway
Terrence Austin
Anthony Armstrong

if i stole that from anyone, my apologies. discuss...

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

FWIW

Maybe Golic would like to play NT. Too funny.

Posted by: skinswest

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:41 PM

It didn't look like he was sprinting or anything (as far as those big guys actually sprint anyway). It looked like he just knew the pace he needed and manned up. This AM he and Schlereth said the test was more mental than physical - guess Ah doesn't quite have what it takes to dig down when it gets tough.

Posted by: skinswest | August 2, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

Ordinarily I would agree with you. If he could be a quality backup that you would feel comfortable stepping in as a starter a few positions I would consider him a good pick. But sitting behind Hicks who is a career backup is a really bad sign.

If a third rounder cannot develop into a quality a starter or a quality contributor I consider them to be a bust.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Golic seemed to make his turns about a yard short ... but still. There should be no comparison. 50 years old and without a training program and he's faster? Ugh.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

F a Mike Golic.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see us flood the zones with a manic Smurf attack than keep Galloway and those old dudes. We need to pckup another young , fast receiver somewhere in space, if Kelly keeps spazzin'..

Rhinehart is a utility backup/special teams dude, but he makes the team..

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

first stab-in-the-dark at possible regular season WR depth chart...

Moss
DT
Galloway
Terrence Austin
Anthony Armstrong

if i stole that from anyone, my apologies. discuss...

Posted by: terrapin3 |

I think MK may surprise some people. All we have really heard about him is he is injured and the coach wasn't really infatuated with his play through training camp. However Shanny, it seemed, wasn't really in love with DT either, and we are hearing more positive stuff about DT's performance now. I wonder if the pressure being applied via rumors and dissatisfaction from a staff, which seems to be fairly tight-lipped more often than not, is the sink-or-swim approach needed to light a fire under MK.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 6:38 PM

Agreed. I think srobert was saying that he's a bust if he's not a starter this year...to which I disagree. New coach, new system, new teammates...I'm willing to give him and the rest of the Class of '08 another year to prove their mettle. Declaring busts entering Year 3 is waaay too early in the process, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

figures a terrapin fan would have nothing to say

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

1965skinfan- Care to elaborate?

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 6:57 PM

have nothing to say about what, shmuck-o? the WR depth chart? the competition for backup G? what would you like to talk about, #92 some more? you're usually on my ITA list but i had to respond to this one.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

So he's almost back to sucking! Great.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 6:52 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 6:56 PM

what I'm trying to say is that if Rinehart can't crack a weak depth chart as a backup in his third year as a 3rd round pick, in my opinion he's a bust and we could have done better.

if he can put together some serviceable games in rotation/replacement when needed, then he's ok.

the draft is definitely a gamble, and I haven't looked at that draft or thought about other options or context that year... hindsight is fickle anyway.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Colt should give the Canadian league a shot.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

======

There are a lot of decent CFL QBs. I don't think he could beat out any of them. I think the Arena League (one of the many leagues out there) would be better suited.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | August 2, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan=45 year old virgin

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

As for Chad, just don't think he'll be here when the season starts. Didn't show much when he was healthy in his 2nd year, and they wouldn't even let him dress for most of his rookie year.

Plus, Shanahan's comments didn't have that 'vote of confidence' ring to them, did they?

I'm guessing Chad will join Colt and Brooks as part of Vinny's disappearing 2008 draft class. Kelly and Rob Jackson would seem candidates to join that group, too.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, whatsup with Westbrook?? Sounds like Parker had a coupla breakaway plays- he's pretty nifty in space, more a speed guy..Gonna be pretty crowded if Brian shows up..

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 6:45 PM

hey terp, here are my thoughts.

Moss clearly entrenched as no. 1... DT seems to be coming on strong, Armstrong and Austin showing some potential?

not sure what to make of Galloway. when others here were arguing that he was brought in to be an interim "player-coach" for camp, my position was that he would be here to compete.

Roydell Williams was in the mix based on initial updates from twisi and others, and Banks needs to find a role on special teams if he wants to make the roster.

MK's days are numbered, and apologies, but admirers can join the Colt Brennan fan club elsewhere.

not much news about Furrey, Hodge, and Wade.

WR is one of our least impressive positions at the moment.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say it again....HOORAY FOR CUTTING BRENNAN!!

The Cult of COLT can finally move to whatever team acquires is general mediocrity.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | August 2, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 7:09 PM

yes. Rinehart has shown squat (the Cook draft pick seems tailor-made to push Rinehart off the roster), and if i understand right, Armstrong is a faster healthier MK12.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Last word on the Cut of Colt, and then we'll let it die (not that it should have ever had a right to live, but I digress).

Remember that little puff-piece post a few weeks back about how Colt Brennan and Donovan McNabb met in the offseason at some training facility? Apparently they made acquaintance when Colt needed a pair of sneakers to work out in and DMac lent a pair. The piece had a real warm fuzzy feel about to would-be teammates meeting over a funny little incident.

(http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/offseason-workouts/hope-you-caught-this-mornings.html)

The only problem is WHAT KIND OF SHMUCKH SHOWS UP TO A TRAINING FACILITY FOR SUPPOSEDLY "PRO" FOOTBALL PLAYERS IN SANDALS AND FORGETS TO BRING WORKOUT SHOES???

...the kind that don't survive the first week of a real training camp run by real adults...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can get Ralph "sub-500" Freidgen to play on the Dline for the 'Skins. All that big lump would have to do is lay there and he'd easily take up 3-4 offensive lineman.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 2, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

F a Mike Golic.

Posted by: terrapin3

that is your response to a 50 year-old-announcer passing a test a multi-million dollar "ath-a-lete" can't pass.
3 children later i guess your analysis about my virginity is flawed to say the least.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

So he's almost back to sucking! Great.

Posted by: MadeRED | August 2, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Re: Golic

I'd like to see if he has the balls to lineup opposite AH and have someone say "hike".

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:21 PM

kaneohe might have some insight?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I think MK may surprise some people.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, he has already surprised me.

I never thought he was going to be Taylor Jacobs 2.0.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 7:22 PM

well, i would submit to you that mental defectives shouldn't be allowed to have children, thus the assumption on my part.

yes, F a Mike Golic was my response to some creaky ex-Eagle running the shuttle. there's a bit more going on at the moment, as the off-season is OVER. time for competition updates, not more #92 BS. i for one have had enough.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

p1funk-

Who wears mandals anyway? Flip-flops yes, mandals never.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Re: Golic

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:28 PM

mol...

but for $31 million, I'd be willing to line up *and* do shuttle sprints.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3

ITA ia appropriate, should have used it on you. Have a good life turtle boy

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 2, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

p1funk-

Who wears mandals anyway? Flip-flops yes, mandals never.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Diez, you played D-I football. Tell me what you would do if one of your teammates walked into Gossett wearing sandals?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Re: Golic

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:28 PM

Sure he'd do it. And he'd run away from Haynesworth laughing all the way. Haynesworth's a laughing stock.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Who wears mandals anyway? Flip-flops yes, mandals never.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:33 PM

i could cheerfully shoot whoever came up with adding man- to chick-associated words. mandals? i don't even wear sandals or flip-flops at the beach. sneaks or boots always, what if you need to kick someone in the head?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

or run from the cops?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I would call Rinehart a guy on the bust bubble. If he makes the team this year and becomes a solid backup going into the future, then I would not call him a bust. A minor dissapointment? Yes. If he gets cut, which I see as a definate possibility right now, then I would totaly declare him a bust.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Cindy.

He'd turn tail and run. Thanks for illustrating my point, though you had other intentions...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:45 PM

is that you, terp?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Rhinehart? Vinny's Guy!

So who's left in the maybe they're not a bust category from the Class of 2008? Hmm... Tryon, Davis, maybe DT? Horton?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 7:50 PM

if those were steel-toed boots she was wearing, that would be one of the hottest chicks ever. (posit image of that chick in steel-toes kicking some dude in the head...excellent).

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

p1funk- most guys wore those adidas plastic/rubber things with the velcro. Pretty sure Scott Milanovich had some birkenstocks but this was 15+ yrs ago and he was better know on campus as a bookie.

I'm guessing that Colt was wearing flip-flops and someone misspoke and called them sandals. The only male ever know to pull off the mandals was Jesus Christ himself.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Amen

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 7:55 PM

can't find anything better, but the image would be excellent.

cheers all and g'night... more roster shuffling and AH drama await.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 6:45 PM

Thats prety close to the list I posted yesterday, except I had Roydell Williams instead of Armstrong.

I would love to see Armstrong and Kelly push Galloway and Williams off the roster. that woould give me a little more hope for the future, but I have my doubts. Especially about Kelly. I think Banks makes the team only if he proves he is a (micro)monster at returns.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Pizza man will be cut and then I don't know....what was his major?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

terrpain3-

I'm going to go out on limb here and say that the reason for your false bravado is that you have a murse, wear manpri pants, and have an extensive collection of mandals.

or maybe this one, if you insist that you only wear boots.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 8:11 PM

it's not bravado, it's just how i do. sh*t happens sometimes. no better or worse than anyone else.

you have those pictures saved in your Favorites list, don't you?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

...you forgot to mention having a set of moobs...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Pizza man will be cut and then I don't know....what was his major?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

He could end up delivering...umm...errr...pizzas...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I do think that if Chad can't beat out Hicks then he is a bust and not a quality back up type of player. Because after all Hicks is a backup player. He is in a new system just like Chad. If Chad can't overtake him or at least make this a competition it is time to write off Chad.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

srobert1117-

Hicks was a backup on arguably the best OL in the NFL, while Rhino couldn't crack the lineup of possibly the worst OL in the NFL.

The goal for Rhino is to make the squad and provide some depth, if he doesn't then he's a wasted 3rd Rd pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The best thing to happen for Chad Rinehart is the BMW thing. One man's loss is another man's gain. Had BMW stayed healthy, I don't think Rhino makes this team. As it is, Hicks is going to be the starting RG for this team, so he doesn't need to beat out Hicks per se, but needs to beat out one of the other guys vying for that backup spot. Someone like Will Montgomery.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"If Rhinehart can't beat out journeyman Hicks going into his third year you can officially label him a bust.posted by srobert"

Nah, Hicks isn't a journeyman, and if Rhinehart doesn't beat him out, he still isn't a bust.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

You know who might be a bust? Andre Smith of Cincinnati, a number 6 selection. When Marvin Lewis is openly questioning your character in the media, you know you're in bad shape.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 2, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for illustrating my point, though you had other intentions...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Happy to help. I agree with your point: Golic pwned Haynesworth, and he'd show Haynesworth up in any competition.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

He's been in the league 9 years already. I'm sure if he was starting material he would've gotten his opportunity earlier.

He's has something to prove. I do agree that Rhino has to show up or else....

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Samson- every red flag imaginable was there when the Bengals chose Smith out of Bama with the 6th selection, and Lewis ignored them all.

Kind of like us signing AH, maybe Marvin learned that from his time here.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: Golic

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:28 PM

He absolutely would. He'd man up and probably take a beating, but he would definitely sack up.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

between Will Montgomery and Chad Rinehart, one of them is gone, baby gone.

starters:
Williams LT
Dockery LG
Rabach C
Hicks RG
Brown RT

backups:
E. Williams C/G
Cook G/C
Capers G/T
Heyer T

the question is, who's the 10th?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Well said. You get an 'A' for clarity

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 8:40 PM

Hicks started for three years -- two in Philadelphia and one in Minnesota.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings offensive line was good because of McKinnie, Hutchinson and Birk. Hicks was behind a below average guard in Anthony Herrera. That hardly makes him impressive.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 8:58 PM

he's played well in spot duty since those days as well. co-sign all the posts refuting that "Rine-o > Hicks" mess.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm stunned. An actual football related debate including someone other than Fatty. I think Rhino will get one more shot. He may have had a good line coach but the rest of the team was subpar. We know Buges preference for vets too. Hicks was a backup on a pretty damn good line and better than anything we had at that spot last year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM |

had some WR talk up here earlier, too. we could all go buck-wild and debate the potential impact of Kareem Moore. or LB depth, that'd be crazy. Riley? Henson? H.B. Blades, anyone?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 8:40 PM

Hicks started for three years -- two in Philadelphia and one in Minnesota.

Posted by: beep-beep

He's been a starter for a third of his career. Don't get too excited over a journeyman lineman. Hell, matador Heyer has basically started for 2 years too.

The O-line is much improved but at the end of the day, Hicks is who he is, Decent (maybe) journeyman.

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM |

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:18 PM

I called for Kareem Moore to be the starter months ago. I thought he was the only true free safety we had. As far as WR, well, I alrady posted my prediction and I won't change it, even though I had MK on it. About 3 minutes after I posted it it was reported that he was hurt. Oh well, can't be right all the time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM |

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:18 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Rinehart stays. He is going to be a decent guard and I think he's going to end up starting. He reminds me of Mark Schlereth and Shanny liked him.

MK gets traded. The rumor I hear is they are trying to put him in a package for.. ahem... a receiver elsewhere in the league unhappy with his current situation. If MK doesn't pan out, they need a big possession receiver.

DT starts. They are just trying to light a fire under him. Galloway won't last. He looks good right now, but let him get a little training camp and preseason mileage - he'll fold. Furrey, Wade, Armstrong: these guys are role players. I see Austin stealing a spot and a few of these guys getting the axe.

I think Beck was brought in to give Bartel some competition. Bartel is a little tougher than people might know and he is not going to give up the job without a fight, but I think, ultimately, a young football player with starter experience trumps a perennial taxi QB.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 9:21 PM

Hicks is an upgrade over everyone the 'Skins tried at RG, even BMW.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

An actual football related debate including someone other than Fatty.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM |

Look, we're all just biding our time up here, waiting for Colt's agent to come back up here and tell us how the 'Skins are toast this year without Brennan

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

over/under on AH being on the field this week, at least with the 2nd or 3rd team?

my guess is that he'll be out there soon.

Romo, hope you've prepared a sufficiently humiliating tag for my posts...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I called for Kareem Moore to be the starter months ago.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:23 PM

yeah, me too, even when the board was clamoring to overpay O.J. Atogwe or Darren Sharper.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 9:25 PM |

That's actually Jasno LaCaca's job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:18 PM

tried dude, but everyone was biting on rhino...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

starters:
Williams LT
Dockery LG
Rabach C
Hicks RG
Brown RT

backups:
E. Williams C/G
Cook G/C
Capers G/T
Heyer T

the question is, who's the 10th?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM

As far as backups go, with the team as is I'd go

Edwin Williams C/G
Will Robinson T
Stephon Heyer T**
Kory Lichtensteiger G/C
Will Montgomery LS/C/G

**a vet swing T most likely will be added

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 9:21 PM

Hicks is an upgrade over everyone the 'Skins tried at RG, even BMW.

Posted by: terrapin3

Hope so but we'll see.......

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I called for Kareem Moore to be the starter months ago.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:23 PM

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:28 PM |

Dude will be a baller. Great athlete.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 9:30 PM

we did well. Rine-o talk is good, just anything other than #92 for a minute.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:18 PM

Hard to talk about those other LB's because the only one I've even seen play is HB. The other ones are unknown to me.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 9:31 PM

speaking of LS, hope they bring back Albright.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 2, 2010 9:31 PM

any way it goes, the OL is not a crying shame like it was last year.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

speaking of LS, hope they bring back Albright.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:38 PM

I didn't understand why they cut him in the first place. Albright neverhad a bad snap. You just can't take that for granted.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:38 PM

Riley actually was real productive at LSU and may eventually (stress eventually) replace LFB. could contribute a lot this year, and not just on ST's.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

it's dinner in the Mountain Time Zone, HTTR people.

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

between Will Montgomery and Chad Rinehart, one of them is gone, baby gone.

starters:
Williams LT
Dockery LG
Rabach C
Hicks RG
Brown RT

backups:
E. Williams C/G
Cook G/C
Capers G/T
Heyer T

the question is, who's the 10th?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse
ECook might end up on practice squad. Also, don't forget about KLichtensteiger.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 2, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:45 PM

Yea, I remember Hensen with the McDonald's crack. Pretty funny actually. I think H.B. is a pretty good LB. Looks like he could be the LFB replacement.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 2, 2010 9:53 PM

ah, Lichtensteiger, the forgotten man. did he get any playing time in Denver?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for illustrating my point, though you had other intentions...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 7:49 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Well. My point was that if they actually had to grapple like linemen do, AH would probably kill Golic - as in literally end his life. So, I think he'd lose that competition.

But, yeah. Golic would win a running competition.

Good thing we're not asking AH to anchor a relay, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 9:44 PM |

1. They want to get younger.
2. One of their scouts told them this guy is just as good and he's also cheaper.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

BUST implies there was some expectation of success.

catch my drift

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 2, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"Henson had a good career at TCU, called all the fans McDonald's employees after they boo'ed following the Rams game."

I'd forgotten all about this, brings back painful memories. Deeply dumb move. Vinny's guy!

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we're not asking AH to anchor a relay, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 9:57 PM |

Too bad we're requiring him to be in good enough condition that they don't have to wheel him off the field in a cart in the fourth quarter, eh?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

between Will Montgomery and Chad Rinehart, one of them is gone, baby gone.

starters:
Williams LT
Dockery LG
Rabach C
Hicks RG
Brown RT

backups:
E. Williams C/G
Cook G/C
Capers G/T
Heyer T

the question is, who's the 10th?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

More depth please.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

BUST implies there was some expectation of success.

catch my drift

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 2, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

1. They want to get younger.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 9:57 PM

Not really the place to worry about getting younger. Cheaper is relative since these guys make league minimum. The difference in pay is minimal.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

backups:
E. Williams C/G
Cook G/C
Capers G/T
Heyer T

the question is, who's the 10th?

Posted by: terrapin3 | August 2, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Either Capers or Cook or both could end up on the practice squad unless they play well enough in preseason.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

depth implies a solid starting line-up

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 2, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

DT's having to pass a conditioning test is about the lamest thing I've ever heard

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 2, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:13 PM

Huh? If you can get a guy, who's younger, cheaper, and who your scouts say is just as good you don't do it?

Look, if the guy doesn't work out, Albright is still available. No other team wanted him.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

top TD celebration of 2010 -- has it already happened?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:27 PM

I didn't hear anyone say he was just as good. You're assuming. Now that reports are in it appears he isn't even close. You have a point about Albright still being available but that sure wasn't a given at the time. Now is the time to cast this "younger, cheaper" worse LS aside and go back to tried and true. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Weird, the post is titled "Chad Rhinehart back to full strength" but Shanahan is quoted inside saying that pizza man is "looking much more comfortable being in football shape and you can see he's pretty close to being healed."

Perhaps he'll actually be at full strength when he's fully healed, but what do I know...

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:35 PM

You didn't hear that? Come on scamp, do you think the Redskins are going to publish their scouting reports?

And how do you know he's not as good? One post from Jason Reid? I'll believe he's not as good when the coaches cut him. But I'm not taking Jason Reid's word for it.

Calm down and let this stuff play itself out. There's been four days of training camp, and the coaches have been watching this guy since they signed him. They know Albright's phone number and could have called any time if they decided this guy wasn't better.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 10:45 PM

Calm down. Calm Down. CALM DOWN! Dude, it's a long snapper. My initial comment was I don't see why they cut him. He is far from my biggest concern. Until you or anyone else posts anything about the LS I will go with J. Reids evaluation of the snapping. And I stand by my initial reaction which is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

My initial comment was I don't see why they cut him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 10:53 PM

And I explained it to you. They had a man who they think is better, younger and cheaper. He may not be better, and if they conclude he's not, he's gone. But if your football talent evaluator is J. Reid, then you're in trouble. I think the coaches who are working with the players know a lot more about football talent than J. Reid does.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 2, 2010 11:03 PM |

Whateves dude. I'm done discussing long snappers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

" I don't hate liberals for being a little emotionally driven personally, I hate post-modern liberalism though for being a selfish, spoiled, and mindless system of beliefs which is (gasp) ultimately unsustainable."- scampbell

That sounds like todays americans. What is so amazing is how they exclude themselves from criticism that they implore upon us. I guess this is what american exceptionalism is: Everybody except me.This, in fact, is typical of the ditto head. The very mindlessness that he extols is the very mindlessness that he is. There is no one more brainwashed than the fanatic and there is no one more fanatical than those who worry about what everyone else is doing. It is the mindlessness of the mindless. scampbell demonstrated this mindlessly. What other way could he do it?

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 2, 2010 5:10 PM |

Hey firemetalrat. You are attributing a quote by monkeymayonnaise to me. I never said that and have bowed out of political debated up here for quite some time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Whateves dude. I'm done discussing long snappers.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Seriously. If this dude doesn't cut the mustard then we will go get albright...if he isn't available then we get the next best guy. If he stinks then f'ck all.
The LS is nothing compared to the Oline and getting our secondary to play to their potential. So f'ck the LS right in the ear.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 11:29 PM | Report

Yea, I'm kinda amazed that I let myself get drawn into that. Slow night I guess.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Romo, hope you've prepared a sufficiently humiliating tag for my posts...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Now, now, moocow. No need for humiliation. You're good with the typing of the words, just a couple funny ones would do. If he ever actually participates in anything this camp.

Damn, sorry to have missed an actual football discussion, well done. I've been with Diesel on Kareem since last year. Gotta go with Scamp, Cindy, the Red Snapper ain't broke, why fix it? Tell me where the benefit is in replacing perfect or finding youth in a position that renews on a year-to-year basis? And F Colt, he's a Raven now.

Night everyone.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 2, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

More people are going to be cut next year there's gonna be more turnover in this year

Shanahan Knows the type of players that he wants and he knows how to go and get them.

We got a real team finally with true leaders

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Malcolm Kelly will be traded and rhino will be cut

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell update ... and oh yes, and in the notes, a familiar name from a few years ago ... getting cut

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 3, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Y'all, Im telling you again, MK will show what he can do like DT has done. There are such good qualities to MK that are fairly rare: size, strength, hands, etc. We will see an improvement out of MK like DT as soon as mk gets healthy, he won't be cut.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 3, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

MayoMan

I kno he's got game, I don't doubt that, I doubt he can be healthy, period.

Great player, when healthy, which hasn't been enough imo.

hopefully he can be healthy but I doubt hell contribute much as 5th or 6th wr if that many are kept

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 3, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

The releasing of MK creates the open spot for VJackson...

I think shanny knows some lockout info n wants to go for the glory this yr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 3, 2010 2:15 AM | Report abuse

If MK can't run routes, but has the best hands of any Skins WR, he should be the slot WR's running across the middle, because we already know he doesn't create enough seperation to be a split end.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 3, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

If MK can't run routes, but has the best hands of any Skins WR, he should be the slot WR running across the middle, because we already know he doesn't create enough seperation to be a split end.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 3, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse