Former Redskin, Terp Williams starts at guard for Bears

Former Redskins guard-center Edwin Williams has started the last two games at guard for the Chicago Bears.

With Albert Haynesworth expected to be active and involved in the game plan, Williams could face a big challenge Sunday as the Bears play host to the Redskins at Soldier Field. The former Maryland standout made a strong impression on the Bears' practice squad early in the season, and Coach Lovie Smith is learning a lot about him.

"Didn't know much about him initially, but he came in and went to work," Smith said earlier this week during a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "Of course, started on the practice squad right away.

"Very bright, you noticed that right away. And then we just put him on the field. He started going against - on the 'look-squad' first - going against our one defense, and we noticed him just about everyday."

Williams signed with the Redskins in 2009 as an undrafted free agent. The former regime was high on Williams, who displayed versatility, and he appeared in three games last season, starting two.

But Williams did not fit into Coach Mike Shanahan's plans and was cut during the preseason. The Bears signed Williams to their practice squad and promoted him to the 53-man roster on Sept. 27.

"He earned the right to move up," Smith said. "After we started playing him, we liked some of the things he was able to do. He has a long ways to go still, which most young players do, but we see a good future for him."

By Jason Reid  | October 22, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth, Offensive line  | Tags:  Edwin Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Alexander best special teamer he's seen
Next: Lovie Smith hopes offense will cut down on sacks

Comments

Good for E-Dub, but seems like it's just another reason why Veal Cutlet is the most SAAACked QB in the league

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 22, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Allen,
I like this Lorenzo Alexander dude. He’s tough and he’s as hard a worker as anyone on the team. The guy earned his spot on the first team defense by standing out on special teams – never griping about PT, rather, giving the coaches no other option but to play him because of his actions and dedication. Lorenzo is on the verge of joining the Redskins’ other young talent in Landry, Orakpo, Moore and becoming a leader in his own right. These are the types of players that championship teams have up and down their respective rosters. Unfortunately, your predecessors’ philosophy was to let ‘core’ players go once they commanded higher compensation per the free-agent market value and opt to go and overpay for so-called ‘big name’ free agents. The Redskins would not only lose a valued, internally-developed player who knew the system, they would bring in someone who needed to learn that system – taking at least a year – and ultimately spending additional millions and often times parting with valuable draft picks.
When it comes time to re-sign a guy like Lorenzo Alexander, please consider whatever compensation he requires to be a bargain when you take all the aforementioned, previous history into account. Trust me; the team will be better for it.

Sincerely,

Antonio Pierce

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

AP,

Don't worry Zo signed an extension this past spring or last spring. He's signed up for 2 more seasons. Thank God.

Posted by: forever8-8 | October 22, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is going to kill someone. I believe though, seriously, that at a minimum, Haney's presence will allow 'Rak, 'Zo and Landry to LIVE in da-bairss' backfield.

I don't care about numbers or power rankings or anything like that. I want to see more bodies hit the floor.

The Skins' D and ST have been leaving a trail of battered players in their wake. That's the stat I want to see perpetuated.

PS - Landry's arms are too small. He needs to do a few curls.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Sup beans & brown? Been working and all that. Staff is migrating to Win7 so I've been giving impromptu classes to the computer illiterate.

What I miss? Cowboy trolls? Race/politics? 'Skins fan on 'Skins fan crime? General assbaggery?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh brother...yawn....

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 9:14 AM |

snore

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:18 AM

Haha...I knew my ITA status wouldn't last long...you missed me.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

summed up nicely red.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM |

rumor has it that poopy has been removed from the board

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

AP,

Posted by: forever8-8 | October 22, 2010 9:19 AM |

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. That is the kind of move that Allen is in here to make. Thanks for that info. I like the guys that can contribute while young and then when they hit their stride, know the system like it's second nature. The 3-4 might not look right at the moment, but when the right personnel to play in a 3-4 displace a few folks who just aren't meant for that scheme - watch out!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM |

rumor has it that poopy has been removed from the board red, but I believe he's back as DixonTheDog

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM

Nothing. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

That about sums it up, dude.

Oh, and don't forget RI stirring the AH pot and posting stuff a day late. I'm fairly certain Reid waits for me to post whatever Keim said yesterday before he even bothers his cutting/pasting ritual...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Re: Lorenzo

Beast. The new Mike Sellers except better.

Re: Carlos Rogers Hands

If he realizes that he can't catch, then he's got to understand that he's not going to get #1 CB money in this league. If he can accept that, then we have a deal.

Re: Politics on the Blog

About as informative and thought-provoking as an article about DHall and Jim Haslett discussing coverages during a DBs meeting.

Re: RedDMV Sighting

He's been tied up doing gigs on TV for Fox News - apparently got himself in a little bit of trouble shooting off at the mouth and stuff. So now that he has plenty of time on his hands, he's back on the blog.

Posted by: p1funk | October 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

And thats why you dont just drive to your closest D1 school to pick up your offensive lineman.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Haha monk...guess you're on record for 24 - 20 now.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Naw, that's your score, it should be retired!

I think we'll get pressure and win, but it will be close. Our defense tends to make superstars out of offenses and let them get out of slumps. As long as we don't blow it in the 4th Qtr. we should be fine!

Redskins - 31
Da Bearz - 23

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Someone asked earlier, sorry. My name is the name of my FF team. Our league is a food theme. My slogan is, "We're poultry in motion."

Ha.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

An ex-Skins OL is starting somewhere else and his QB is getting pummeled. Surprising?

He started the past 2 games, and in those 2 games the Bears have given up 16 sacks. Coincidence?

Nobody on the Skins OL from last year should be starting anywhere.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Is BB16 going to play at WR Sunday? Thought I saw him play a couple of downs last week at WR.

Posted by: stu_pid | October 22, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

playaction amd monk811 live in the same house, but communicate via computer and cell phone

???????????????

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:11 AM

Yeah, we take turns on the computer. I'm letting him crash in the monastery for a little while, something about a 'domestic dispute'. Wow, didn't know how bad restraining orders could be, but I got your back Play!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Nobody on the Skins OL from last year should be starting anywhere.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 9:36 AM |

including rabach I assume ?

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:38 AM

Really appreciate that monk...but this one bathroom thing is bs...and I need more room for my lite beers!

24-20 is now officially retired...so it will prob happen this week.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Poopy has been flushed!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Sup beans & brown?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 9:23 AM

Brownwood kept the blog running while you were away and did a good job, despite his obsession with football.

BeantownGreg lost it completely. He has no more blog cred after blaming Shanahan for DT11's inability to play.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

including rabach I assume ?

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:38 AM

McNabb is the 4th most sacked QB in the league this year, and I dare say he's done an impressive job of avoiding a lot of sacks.

Teams have done well against Rabach and I expect McNabb to see a wholelot of Brian Urlacher up this middle as a result... so, yes, including Rabach.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

He has no more blog cred after blaming Shanahan for DT11's inability to play.

bigfoot, loch ness monster, yeti, and this statement above...pretty much 1 and the same...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Lite Beer = Nectar of the NERDS!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 22, 2010 9:43 AM |

next up for bean, is there a bar I can watch the redskins game at so I don't have my ass handed to me when I post comments on the board about a game I didn't watch ?

LMAO

HTTR!

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Cutler's got no stomach for getting roughed up. Whack him around early (within league guidelines, of course) and watch him spend the rest of the day throwing to white and burgundy.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | October 22, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Had a run-in with Poopy's cousin yesterday--Shart. Shart said Poopy in jail for streaking at the Giants game the other day.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 22, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Shart = combo

Posted by: hessone | October 22, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

breast awareness month, peeps

I hope they cure breast cancer.

But about noazzatall?

Millions of women sufffer from this affliction, too.

When will the league have a moment of silence for wimmin whose backfields aren't ever in motion?

Thousands of daughters, sisters, baby mommas, and wives have bootys that, like a bad pass, are hard to get a grip on.

I suggest we create a Jennifer Lopez patch to remind us all of the women who look great from the front.

But leave us disappointed because they leave so little behind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Lite Beer = Nectar of the NERDS!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 9:48 AM

Right...but its perfect for my special recipe...1 part lite beer...1 part Old Grand-Dad....4 and 12 can do that to a guy.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Nobody on the Skins OL from last year should be starting anywhere.

True.

I still say the funniest thing is how Jason Campbell went from not wanting to back up Donovan McNabb in D.C. to getting replaced by Kyle Boller and Bruce Gradkowski.

I mean, dude travelled 3,00o miles just to wind up on a bench when he could've done that by showing the franchise he wanted to remain a redskin.

They said he made poor decisions.

They weren't lying.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

hess, Poopy got 86'd? I thought being blocked was a myth.

brown, AH is so fatigued out. I guess people were super pissed once the trade deadline came and went and he was still here. Probably should've taken that 4th the Titans were offering though...

p1, they fired me, but I bounced back to the tune of 2 mil, ya dig? They justified my firing from warning me about participating in programs "that encourage punditry and speculation rather than fact-based analysis." I sought legal advisement and was told by Mike Florio that I can sue those "lib bastards". The Washington Post Sports Editor co-signed on the advisory.

-----------------------------------------------

'Skins are 3-3. Appear to be right on pace for that 7 to 9 win mark...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

@ RedDMV: "hess, Poopy got 86'd? I thought being blocked was a myth."

Courtesy of Barno, apparently. Not sure what caused the static, but some was on RI, and some was evidently on another WaPo comment board.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, a couple years ago Jose Q. was my friend. Almost got kicked out of the monastery for that, damn worms......

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

No cred like blog credit is what some say.

Lovie beeps....

Posted by: RedDMV | October 22, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Moe your right about campbell. He should have stayed and been the backup QB. Anything would be better than Grossman.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Red, I was one of those people...how a team without a 4th round pick can turn its nose up at trading a guy they're not using for a 4th round pick is beyond arrogant. All I've got left now is to hope that AH plays lights out ball the rest of the year (or at this point, I'll settle for him playing and playing OK) and ups his trade value for next offseason.

Moe, in JC's defense, he left here for a CHANCE to start...which he wasn't getting here. Just because it backfired, doesn't make it a bad idea at the time. Plus, we should be getting a 4th rounder out of the deal so win-win...kinda...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Brown JC left a team with a bad O-line to go to a team to START with A WORST O-line. That sounds like a bad decision to me. But a win for the Redskins either way!

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse