Kiper isn't bowled over by either Russell Okung or Trent Williams

It's no surprise that, when it comes to offensive linemen who'll be taken in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday night, the names of Russell Okung of Oklahoma State and Trent Williams of Oklahoma rise to the top of the Redskins' list.

But which one would you take if you ran the Redskins and were inclined to take a tackle? Rick Maese interviewed ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. last week and Kiper isn't completely taken by either Okung or Williams.

Zone discussion

Tell us your ideal scenario for the draft's first round in the Redskins Tailgate Zone.

Chat with Tracee

Tracee Hamilton is in Montreal for tonight's Caps game and, of course, she's thinking about the Redskins and the draft. She'll take your questions at 9:30 this morning.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Cindy Boren  |  April 21, 2010; 6:07 AM ET
Categories:  NFL Draft , Offensive line  | Tags: Mel Kiper, Russell Okung, Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins draft Q&A with Tracee Hamilton, Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.
Next: Oklahoma assistant thinks Redskins, Williams would be a good fit

Comments

Well considering Kiper is wrong 75% of the time I wouldn listen to a word he had to say.

I would take the LT that best fit what I was trying to do on offense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Now, now Flound...he's only wrong 60% of the time, every time. Haha

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Kiper rules, brownwood droolz!

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

LS you have to go double "s" rules/drools or double "z" rulz/droolz

Posted by: chrislarry | April 21, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

I trust what McShay says over Kiper nowadays. Kiper is tangled up in Clausens jock anyhow and can't think straight!

Posted by: joeboggs | April 21, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

LS you have to go double "s" rules/drools or double "z" rulz/droolz

Posted by: chrislarry | April 21, 2010 7:08 AM

ChrizLarry ownz thiz phraze zo he getz to zet the rulz.

Hey, I'm like Kiper -- I only get it right 50% of the time. Whoa -- if I hit 50% I'd be the leader of the pack on RI.

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

CL, judging by the usual crap he posts up here, English isn't LS's first language...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | April 21, 2010 7:15 AM

While you're right about Kiper, McShay is actually worse. As in, the worst "draft guru" out there. If you want draft analysis without any of the pretentious BS, go to NFL Network and get it from Mike Mayock and Charles Davis. Those guys are the best I've seen.

Speaking of Guru...R.I.P. to the founder of Gang Starr. Loved the Jazzmatazz stuff from back in the day. Thanks for the memories...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

John Corcoran's latest guesswork comes in his NFLDraftdog.com column

"With the 4th pick, the Redkins select..."

EXCERPT: "The group he inherited will never be The Hogs, but with proper care and feeding, they may not be the swine we think they are."

Let the Vitriol Begin...I'm going back to bed.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

First this was one of the best o-line classes in history, now he isn't bowled over... Put Kiper in front of the big hoss-es and see which one of them bowl him over the best after he said that. Extra points for messing up his hair. Draft the winner based on his mean streak.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | April 21, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:24 AM

Que me dices? Tu eres un bastardo de una puta!

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Let the Vitriol Begin...I'm going back to bed.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2010 7:29 AM

You sure do love the 'V' word all of a sudden...enjoy your sleep.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Que me dices? Tu eres un bastardo de una puta!

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 7:34 AM

(in my best Ron Burgundy voice) LS! I don't speak German!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

With all these DL additions, do Jarmon and Lorenzo Alexander switch to LB? We got tons of bodies on the DL now. Wish we had the same problem on OL.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

can u believe that that jagoff cerrato was going to draft crabtree over oher?

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

"Kiper isn't bowled over by either Russell Okung or Trent Williams"

Yeah, and a few years ago, he was telling us that V Young had a bad throwing motion, and wouldn't succeed in the NFL as spread option quarterbacks never do.

Too, he said that J Cutlet was over rated as he'd faced weak competition due to Vandy's sofy schedule.

Finally, he felt that M Leinhart was going to be a great pro quarterback.

And look at how all that's turned out so far.

Take T Williams any way you can get him, and ignore MEl Kiper like he was road kill on an empty highway.

'Cuz he is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Let the Vitriol Begin...I'm going back to bed.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2010 7:29 AM |

Cork,

That was a good article no vitriol from me.

Anybody who thinks that the playcalling and scheme weren't part of the o-Line problems needs to get a clue.

Shanny's system alone will improve the o-line, they still need a LT in the draft at 4 or if they trade down a few spots.

McNabb will help the o-line as well, so the o-line will be way better then last year, even if they only draft 1 starter.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Moe. I tend not to put much stock in any of the ESPN talking heads, seems like they don't hire anyone unless they're loud wrong more often than not.

FedorEm, I was under the impression that Jarmon and Alexander were moving to LB anyway. So the DL help isn't just welcomed, it's completely necessary.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | April 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Exactly. Even if Heyer, Dockery, Rabach, Big Mike Williams, and Artis Hicks play decent, who do we have behind them? *crickets*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 21, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 21, 2010 7:56 AM |

Lets wait and see what happens but if they add no more o-Line, before the season starts I will agree with you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

How's about 1 starter and another backup? I'd be a heck of a lot more comfortable w/ two O linemen in the draft.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 21, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Let the Vitriol Begin...I'm going back to bed.

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2010 7:29 AM

You sure do love the 'V' word all of a sudden...enjoy your sleep.

Posted by: brownwood26 |

And yet, ironically, I no longer watch "V"

By the way, they're lizards, and the hot chick is the Lizard Queen.

It's 5:05 out here and Insomnia rules. Or as LS might put it, Rulez

Posted by: TheCork | April 21, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 21, 2010 8:04 AM |

I agree they should take O-line with there 4th or 5th round pick, maybe that guy can start or he will be a backup.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

flounder21

"Let's wait and see what happens but if they add no more o-Line, before the season starts I will agree with you."

I'm thinking two offensive linemen, one a starter, will come out of this draft.

And I'd think seriously about A Fanaca should theh jets want to move him.

Maybe he plays right guard and is a serious upgrade over M Williams.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 21, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Moe, where are you getting this stuff about the Jets moving Faneca? They just got him a couple years ago and he's a key component on that O-line...I doubt they move him unless there's some locker room stuff I haven't heard about.

Even still...I'm not sure he fits into what the Skins run now anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

This is from WalterFootball he does a very detailed Mock.

This draft would not be bad if we stay with the picks we have.

I don't know much about the 7th rounder but the rest of the guys are very good players. Capers could be are anwser at RT. Hardesty could be are future RB.

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

103. Washington Redskins: Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

163. Washington Redskins: Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia

211. Washington Redskins: LeRoy Vann, KR/PR, Florida A&M

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Take a look at the following acquisitions/additions to this team, and tell me which unit seems a bit "under-addressed" based on what we perceive to be the team's biggest need.

QB - McNabb, Grossman

RB - Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, Ryan Torain

DL - Keaomatu, Green, Howard, Peterson, Carriker, Bryant

CB - Buchanon

WR - Hagans, ROydell Williams

OL - Oldenburg, Hicks, Lichtensteiger

I'm hoping that all of this recent D-line activity is just clearing the way for the FO to focus exclusively on O-line in the draft.

There are a couple of pieces to trade - JC, Rocky Mac, Andre Carter in particular (yes, I purposefully left AH off the list). I'm looking forward to recouping some picks and seeing some truly talented young linemen (TACKLES) get added to this team.

Posted by: p1funk | April 21, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

P.S.

Why has there been a bunch of posts about Mel Kiper here?

Does Wapo want me to just start going directly to ESPN?

Posted by: p1funk | April 21, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

P.S.

Why has there been a bunch of posts about Mel Kiper here?

Does Wapo want me to just start going directly to ESPN?

Posted by: p1funk | April 21, 2010 8:17 AM |

Maybe the Wapo is on the take from ESPN, since we know how the newspaper buisness is doing these days.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow...pfunk just keeps waving the AH flag. God bless you, dude.

I still think there will be a surprise cut or trade that helps fill some holes on the O-line...just a gut feeling. We should address the LT spot at #4 (if we stay in that spot) and I think whatever surprise acquisition will be to fill the RT spot or maybe one of the interior spots.

Can't wait for tomorrow night...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow...pfunk just keeps waving the AH flag. God bless you, dude.

Can't wait for tomorrow night...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

If anything, I'm loyal, brownie...

Rip me for alot of stuff, but never for being 2-faced.

Posted by: p1funk | April 21, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how you gathered so much loyalty for a guy who's been in burgundy and gold for less than a year, but hey...to each his own.

Still can't wait for tomorrow night...it'll be good to stop speculating and start breaking down our latest additions.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Why has there been a bunch of posts about Mel Kiper here?

Does Wapo want me to just start going directly to ESPN?

Posted by: p1funk | April 21, 2010 8:17 AM |

Because ESPN has more credibility, better information, and more hair than any of the WaPo staff.

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Yo Flounder,

I thought you and Kiper were good friends from your Notre Dame days. What happened, Vinny? Did you and Kiper have a falling out? I thought you did a good job pushing your boy Claussen on Kiper....maybe since the Redskins won't take him you had a falling out?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 21, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Yo Flounder,

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 21, 2010 8:56 AM |

Wow your funny with the Vinny stuff, you should do standup.

Hows that hate for the team working out for you, has it done any good?

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

This is from WalterFootball he does a very detailed Mock.

This draft would not be bad if we stay with the picks we have.

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

103. Washington Redskins: Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

163. Washington Redskins: Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia

211. Washington Redskins: LeRoy Vann, KR/PR, Florida A&M

Posted by VinnyFlounder21

------

If Capers is the answer at RT, why doesn't someone else draft him higher? That's asking a lot for a low round lineman. Then again, you thought Big Mike and Heyer were the answer too, right? No wonder you got booted from Redskins Park.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 21, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

can u believe that that jagoff cerrato was going to draft crabtree over oher?

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

The truth is, we could have used either one of those guys. Don't underestimate Crabtree; the guy excelled as a rookie at a position that is hard for rookies to play well at. He will be an absolute beast in the years to come.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 21, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

If Capers is the answer at RT, why doesn't someone else draft him higher?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 21, 2010 9:01 AM |

This has to be one of the dumbest lines of reasoning from one of the stupidest guys up here. Basically, it translates into "there's no point in drafting anyone because if they were any good they would already have been drafted." Hey, perriculum-wannabe, if Tom Brady were the answer at QB how come no one drafted him before New England took him?

Posted by: League-Source | April 21, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

randy, its 9 am, dial it back to about oh I don't know, a 5 or so....thanks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 21, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

On Mike & Mike this morning, Kiper said he has a feeling the Skins will either pick Clausen at #4 or even trade up for Bradford.....that Snyder loves to make the big "splash."

Uh, Mel? We only have 4 picks.....3 of them in the late rounds.....we just traded away our 2nd round pick for a QB (McNabb).....still have no O line help....and what splash has "Snyder" been making this off season?

It truly appears that Shanahan and Allen are in charge due to the lack of "splashy" moves we have made. McNabb was more than a puddle but was probably Shanahan's idea.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 21, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 21, 2010 9:01 AM |

This shows how stupid you are d_ckhead.

Whay didn't someone draft Brady earlier if he was a HOF QB, why didn't someone draft Terrell Davis earlier if he was a 2000 yard rusher and the reason Denver won two SB's. I could go on but don't feel like it.

The draft is a crap shoot but don't think that good players aren't found in the late rounds.

Clean up your room in the basement since it's obvious your skipping school today.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 21, 2010 7:56 AM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 21, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm betting that, by the time training camp starts, Heyer and Hicks will be backing up OTs that we'll either draft, sign as free agents (Flozell Adams?) or trade for.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Suh and Berry are certifiable future all-stars and better prospects than Okung and Williams. Of course the O-Line is the weakest link in the Skins' phalanx, but drafting for need at the top of the first round is foolish. Berry is the next Lott/Sean Taylor, and Suh the next LT/Merriman. If we can't trade back for two early picks, I'd rather take a surefire stud, then trade some combination of Cooley/Campbell/Landry/Haynesworth for a good O-lineman, and a future third or fourth for a serviceable one.

Posted by: SammyT1 | April 21, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Mike mayock is the best draft "expert" in my opinion

The eariler redskins mock I would change a few picks

1st Trent Williams instead of okung

4th montario hardesty is a must pick for us

5th selvish capers would be a great pick

7th danairo Alexander WR mizzouri instead of the kick returner

I understand it's all offense but that's the needs
I'd love to get Dan lefevour but he will be gone by the 4th hope we can get all these players

If haynesworth is not traded during player introductions do you think he gets booed?

Posted by: Superman321 | April 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I want some guy named Selvish playing on my team.

Posted by: OG_Barno | April 21, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse