Mike Williams taking blood thinner in recovery

Veteran offensive lineman Mike Williams is taking blood-thinning medication because of the clots near his heart that have forced him to sit out this season, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"Mike cannot, obviously, play with blood thinner," Shanahan said. "It was really a setback for us, a setback for Mike. But when something like that happens, you're just glad that you caught it before it was serious. It was something that the doctors look at right away.

"It's not football-related, but it's something that they were very happy they caught early. He'll definitely be out this year. But maybe in six months he'll be re-evaluated after he takes a proper amount of time to be away and he could possibly play in the future."

In text messages to a reporter recently, several of Williams's teammates wrote that they expect the guard to play again. Williams showed impressive determination in reviving his career with the Redskins last season, and his friends are confident he will take a similar approach in overcoming this hurdle.

By Jason Reid  |  July 29, 2010; 9:40 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid , Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Malcolm Kelly expected to miss at least two days
Next: Mike Shanahan: Morning practices 'will be pretty intense'

Comments

First! Oh Boy!

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

First to say: get well soon, Mike.

Posted by: walkdwalk | July 29, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

repost
Moss
Thomas
Kelly
Wade
Austin

BTW -- Kelly has a minor hamstring strain -- it's nothing serious...

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2010 9:29 AM

Only two speed WRs (Moss, Thomas). IMO, I'd like another speed WR on the team, or at least another one who get's open deep. This team has to be able to push the ball down field.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse
TWISI, I thought Austin had good speed. Am I wrong?

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:49 AM

I heard Austin on Redskins Nation say he ran a 4.5 in his 40 on his pro day. However, he might play faster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 9:48 AM

I ESPN insider had a link to a SD newspaper article where it briefly stated that AJ Smith was open to trading VJ. I'm sure the price is still to high for VJ.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Informational...It looks like Kyle is about to fall in love with Portis the same way Aikman is in love with him.

No Homo.

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 29, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"No way he (MK) makes this team....Shanny brought on too many vets at WR to nurse Kelly."

I say his chances of making the team remain high as he fits the prototype wr desired by the Shanahans.

I think the team will extend a serious amount of patience with MK.

Too, given the issues JC had with deep passes (even with S Moss), we really haven't had enough of a sample to say if MK can be a decent downfield receiver.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Get better BMW! Don't worry about foobaw. 'Twas a silly experiment anyway.

Hamsters, thx 4 tha comments RE: blog content. Cosign all!

My nomination: Paul Tenorio

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just saw a commercial on blood thinner this morning.... Best wishes to Mike Williams. And while I'm at it condolences to Lorenzen Wright's family...

bean, I maybe far from a Lebron fan, but I'd be a lying SOB if I said I wouldn't want to be a party like that. Sounds like they were doing it up big!

My guess is that ESPN took the article down because it makes Lebron like a quasi Benny Rapistberger. Especially the: He looks at the girls around him and says, "I wish they'd have one of these girls with no panties do that instead of the guy." part.

Which really isn't a bad thing. If I had some 5 star chicks dancing around me, I'd probably would've thought the same thing.

What's troubling to me about that article is what a spineless do-boy lap dog Chris Paul has become. I mean, Chris Paul isn't f-ing Damon Jones. He doesn't have to ride anyone's coat-tails -- dude is the best PG in the game, but he's acting like a Lebron ballwaxing cronie. Sad, pathetic, and all around b*tch move on Chris Paul's part.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

red, he just looks like such a tool in the piece...I mean, spin move on the one armed bandit, dunk on the over head sign...dumping grey goose on the floor...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

beeps...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse
______

Defintely co-sign this. Chris Paul would have been the centerpiece of his own great team that could have even challenged my beloved Lakers if the NO owner wasn't such a complete and total schmuck. That owner is really to blame more than anyone else for what has happened to that team. I'd question the team's commitment to winning, too, if I were him. I just wouldn't become LeBron's lapdog.

On a random note - and I ask this since we have no hope of a substantive input from the RI staff - has anyone heard anything about the status of Trent Williams' contract?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | July 29, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams would do better to avoid certain oils which are known to clog the circulation and attack the heart such as canola oil, soybean oil, and all partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils. I hope Mike is reading his labels. He would be smart to take Coenzyme Q10 daily since it protects the heart. Since he lost so much weight last year, he might have used diet products and artificial sweetners to reduce his caloric intake, but a study of over 9,500 people, published in 2/2008, explained that even just one diet cola a day with aspartame increased one's chance of heart attack or stroke by 34% due to it's raising a person's blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels through the roof. Aspartame is in chewing gum, diet cola, flavored water and over 6,000 additional foods and beverages and causes metablic syndrome which can be deadly besides also causing massive weight gain in most people that consume it.

Posted by: meadowrock | July 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse