More O-line shuffling possible

Don't be surprised to see more in-game shuffling on the Redskins' offensive line this Sunday against Houston.

Offensive line coach Chris Foerster said coaches are still evaluating their players and trying to settle on the best five. This likely means Kory Lichtensteiger will again see some reps at the left guard spot.

"Obviously, what you want to do is try to get your best five guys on the field and we're still in the process of trying to make that determination," Foerster said Friday.

Last week against the Cowboys, Lichtensteiger relieved Derrick Dockery, who's started 110 straight games in his career. Stephon Heyer also relieved Jammal Brown at right tackle. Foerster would not say whether Brown was ready to play an entire game.

"Right now we're constantly going through evaluation with all our guys," he said. "We're working it. We'll just see how it goes."

Coaches are clearly high on Lichtensteiger, who saw his first action last week since the 2008 season. While Foerster wouldn't contrast the strengths and weaknesses of Lichtensteigher and Dockery, he said, "what we're looking for is a guy who can set himself apart and be that consistent starter for us."

"Kory's actually done a great job ever since he's been here - OTAs, all through camp and everything else," Foerster said. "He's done a really, really good job and has continued to improve above and beyond when he first got here. It's not surprising because he's continued to play the way he's played since we signed him."

Coaches had said throughout training camp that it's important for the top five linemen to get reps together, so they can gel as a unit. Foerster said Friday while that's still the preference, there are benefits to rotating in linemen.

"Obviously, you'd like to have five guys who can consistently play together," he said. "But you know, during the course of an NFL season, if you can get that, it's great. But there's a lot of factors that go into, aside from just competition that can lead to having other guys in the lineup. So in a way, it's to our benefit to have guys be able to play and still have that unity."

By Rick Maese  |  September 17, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  Offensive line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kareem Moore ruled out for Sunday's game
Next: Redskins blitz package could be 'scary'

Comments

I like this.....guys getting regular reps, keeps the starters on their toes, and keeps the backups sharp...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

One
Guard

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 3:13 PM |

Agree greg, keeping everyone involved keeps all the players happy and it's good for morale.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

More reps to everyone....

Keeps everyone fresh....

Less wear n tear...

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

(repost)

As I bask in the glory of a Redskins win over Dallas, I got to thinking:
When is the last time the Redskins beat Dallas at FedEx on a NIGHT game?
I think the answer is never.
The last time we beat Dallas at home at night was Richie Pettibone's first game as head coach, but that was in old RFK.

Am I right?

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 17, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sources in Minn say rumor is that the Vikings team is the leading candidate to get VJack. Asking price is believed to be a 3rd round draft pick.

Posted by: TWISI | September 17, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

More reps to everyone....

Keeps everyone fresh....

Less wear n tear...

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

mmy bad for

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

twis, if thats all that SD is asking them I'm gonna be disappointed if we don't try and get in on that......I know we don't have a 3rd next year though, right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Am I right?

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 17, 2010 3:18 PM |

You're a genius jgar

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hessone said he enjoys giving out blumpkins.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 17, 2010 2:51 PM |

blumpkin?

blow job + dump + knee in nads?

Posted by: Yammerstein | September 17, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Brandon, put the kryppi DOWN! lmao....

Mr. Garrison, that sounds about right. Damn we're old.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"More O-line shuffling possible"

They've done that dance already. I believe the show was titled Debacle '09.

I don't get this coaching staffs hard on for Lickentoeheiger. Dude is a backup at best, but for some reason they want to keep rotating them in and out like this is the 2nd preseason game. Why are they still evaluating going on week 2?

I thought when a offensive line has built cohesiveness that's when they at that best. How can the coaching staff expect that to develop rotating Dockery and Lickmyheiner?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth, mcnabb, portis, riley all listed as questionable. #redskins
22 minutes ago via mobile web

I know this is Shanny being Shanny...but did I miss something with Portis this week?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the o-line shuffling. If you've got two even-caliber players at one position, why not rotate them in and out? At the least, it will keep them fresh at the end of games as well as later on in the season.

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

We know if Jamaal Brown misses a series, its not because Heyer might be better.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

On the Kareem Moore update. I say keep him out one more week since St Lois won't be much of a threat anyways.

This way he gets one more week to become fully healthy and eliminated any possible set backs.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

RedD - it's going to take a lot more than one Dallas game (WE WON!!!WOOO HOOO! - god that feels good) for us to solidify on the line...

Back to the winning... anyone else get nothing but excuses from those Dallas fan sukkards. I have yet to get one non-solicited congratulations from onna 'em.

Bak me up peeps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 3:30 PM |

he was talking puddin

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't get this coaching staffs hard on for Lickentoeheiger.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 3:25 PM |

Former Bronc. Knows MS blocking schemes. Has looked good when played. Sounds like it that could lick any OLD (OL Dysfunction) problem, don't it?

Posted by: Yammerstein | September 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"More O-line shuffling possible"

They've done that dance already. I believe the show was titled Debacle '09.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 3:25 PM

Although the OL had a decent day pass blocking, we need more punch on the run blocking. It makes sense to continue working guys in for that reason as well as for longevity.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 17, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 3:23 PM

It's a rumor now so I'm not sure a third would do. The Skins won't have a third next year, but I think if they wanted VJak and a third is what is required, then the Skins could figure something out.

Posted by: TWISI | September 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Bak me up peeps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:32 PM

That's all I've heard...even from the jackwads at ESPN, etc., who were picking Dallas for the superbowl.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

... then the Skins could figure something out.

Posted by: TWISI | September 17, 2010 3:40 PM |

Mos def dude. Like how to get DT kick-started.

Posted by: Yammerstein | September 17, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Red, I think the issue is that the coaching staff knows what it has in Dock, and he's not what they want. Dock's got size on Lickmyballer, but Lickenbutter is smaller and quicker than Dock, making him better suited for Shanny's zone blocking scheme. Lockonwanger moves quicker to spots on the field. Dock's size and strength were better suited for St. Joe's power running game.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

IMO Shanny wants all the linemen to gel together as one interchangeable unit instead of a first and second unit. considering the amount of familiarity involved in running a successful zone scheme this makes perfect sense.
I miss the Albert_Haynesworth updates

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"More O-line shuffling possible"

They've done that dance already. I believe the show was titled Debacle '09.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 3:25 PM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 17, 2010 3:37 PM
------------------------------------------
Lichmystuber isn't going to get more "punch" than Dockery who brings a load. This is just Shanahan wanting someone who can pull and get down field. Lichenshrubbery is just more agile, mobile, and quick on his feet. Still, I am with Red that it's stupid to keep rotating them. That's what preseason is for. It's almost like they are waiting for Dockery to stumble and Dockery won't oblige them.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Bak me up peeps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:32 PM |

lik my prik dik.

Posted by: Yammerstein | September 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

F VJax. Dude wants a $50 million contract, averaging $10 million per season.

68 receptions, 1150 yards, 9 TDs

Is that worth $50 million? Not even close. He wants to be paid like a top 5 wideout when he's actually much closer to the 20-25 range. I wouldn't even say he's a better WR than Moss (just happened to play on a better team the last few years).

For his asking price, I say no way. Maybe if this guy would sign a $35-40 million deal for 5-6 years, sure, he'd be great. But not for what he's holding out for.

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I miss the Albert_Haynesworth updates

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 3:48 PM |

Just read poopy's post, you won't be missin a thang

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Also, keep in mind that Shanahan drafted Sir Lichsalot in 2008. Sometimes football people fall in love with their own picks, even after they move to different teams. See, e.g., Bill Parcells.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 17, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Bak me up peeps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't hold your breath for an apology. You should know by now. You never ever beat the Dallas Cowboys but sometimes they beat themselves. Durr Hurr.

It's funny that they call us delusional...

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 17, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

shuttle, F the Cowboy and their excuse making idiot fans! Tell 'em: 'The game is over -- it was over on the Barron penalty, it's been about a week now, GET OVER IT!'

---------------------------------------------------------

Dockery and Lickentaintsteiger are even? Yeah psps23, about as even as Mario Williams and Reggie Bush, I assume...

From Football Outsiders (which I'm sure everyone has read by now):

"The other guard spot was a rotation between Derrick Dockery and Kory Lichtensteiger. Both played about equal time, but I think Dockery clearly outplayed Lichtensteiger. Neither was great by any means, but Dockery was tough to notice when you weren't really focusing on him. This means that the veteran was generally doing at least a passable job. Lichtensteiger, on the other hand, jumped off the tape in a negative way a couple times, most memorably when he ended up about three yards deep in the backfield on a halfback Iso. I predict that as the season progresses we get a lot more Dockery, and a lot less Lichtensteiger."

Not necessarily praising Dockery, but he's giving no props at all to Lichsacksteiger. So yammerstein, I'm not sure where you getting the thought from that he played well.

Do what they feel as far as rotating, but it seems that if they feel that Lich... fits their zone blocking scheme better, then start 'em and trade Dockery, if they can. If they think Dockery is more skilled and dependable then start Dock and dump Lichenboogerstiger. It seems that simple. But like I said, it seems that offensive lines are at their best when they've been playing along side each other for awhile. Tough to see how that's going to develop when you're rotating guys.... Whateves.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hess...hope ur son is ok now...I heard that never really goes away.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 3:17 PM |

Thanks, he's doing well. Plays football and hockey. There's two camps as far as lyme goes. Some doc's say it's curable and some say it's chronic. Guess we're going to find out one way or the other.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Keim broke down the Dockery/Licthen results at LG, thought Dockery was significantly better."Posted by: zcezcest1

He probably was in that game. Gotta note, however, Big Derrick isn't a zone-blocking dream. I was a little surprised the new coaching staff was considering keeping him and Big Mike Williams both.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep Red, about as even as the number of rings between Bush and Williams.

I'm not going to pull a knee-jerk reaction after game one. Dockery played better, sure, but that doesn't mean Lichtenballer can't play (just like Anthony Armstrong's dropped pass doesn't mean Armstrong is forever a flake). At this point, I'll trust Shanahan's judgment with this. It's not like he's rotating Stephon Heyer in for a two-time pro-bowler...

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

does San Diego run a 3-4? is that why no one has suggested a straight trade #92 for VC? anyway why nobody can see V Jax opening up this offense to a much higher degree is beyond me. take pressure off of Moss and watch him look years younger, plus all the young guys will be able to get open with db's peekin at VJ. a player of his caliber is not on the market long. we missed out on Marshall, Holmes, Boldin, Housh, and the rest. this may be our chance to lock up a premiere wide out and improve our air attack for years to come

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of linemen, dunno how many of you followed the story of the Penn player who committed suicide, then on autopsy was found to have traumatic brain injury of the sort found in deceased NFL players. Scary stuff.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"But like I said, it seems that offensive lines are at their best when they've been playing along side each other for awhile. Tough to see how that's going to develop when you're rotating guys.... Whateves."

I don't think they're doing this forever. It's probably still a temporary evaluation technique (that is unless the offensive line starts blowing people up with this new rotation system).

You never know. Every lineman has different strengths and weaknesses. It could actually be more difficult for defensive coordinators to scheme against a rotation of linemen, because they won't know where to attack on a given series.

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Do what they feel as far as rotating, but it seems that if they feel that Lich... fits their zone blocking scheme better, then start 'em and trade Dockery, if they can.If they think Dockery is more skilled and dependable then start Dock and dump Lichenboogerstiger. It seems that simple.

Posted by: RedDMV

Funny that you're trying to sell people on trading/dumping linemen when line depth has been the main problem with the Redskins for about a decade. The Skins have two guards that the Shanny's believe are starter quality. That's a good thing. Should anyone really care if an interior lineman is a "starter" if they have 2 rotating guys that are getting the job done? One thing I can just about guaranty -- there will be an injury on the O-line before the season ends, and they'll be shuffling Dock and Lichaholic and Heyer (ugh) all over to make things work. Embrace depth. We need it.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 17, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

They said they didn't want to risk injury to Jammal Brown, that's why Heyer was put in.

Brown isn't even on the injury report. He'll be fine.

I think it's smart. You know the guy had hip surgery a year ago, so take it kind of easy on him.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 17, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | September 17, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer in for a two-time pro-bowler...

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 4:04 PM
------------------------
yes he did...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dockery doesn't seem to be a good fit for Shanny's zone blocking scheme

Posted by: coparker5 | September 17, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

this situation should have been taken care of in the pre-season.this ain't no time to be seeing who can and can't play,especially along the o-line.is this why the running game is sucky,and donovan is running for his life more than he should be?

Posted by: billydee123 | September 18, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: billydee123 | September 18, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree this is a great idea. Keeps the starters on their toes and should ensure the line isn't gassed in the 4th quarter. More than anything, it shows a staff willing to think outside the box but not so far that the end up in the world of Zorn.

Posted by: feeney | September 18, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Texans rotate at guard too. They have Caldwell from the Tide who is a second year on a learning curve and Mike Briesel --part of the Colorado/Houston pipeline. Don't have to WIN a job if it is shared.

Posted by: ElYeah | September 18, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Why the heck is Dockery being challenged?
Did you not see Hicks and Rabach junking it?

You might want to get a head start on defining the problems with the coaching in DC if this is what their thoughts are.

Posted by: DaveMc1 | September 18, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world is the focus on Dockery
and Hicks being on a free pass?
Or Rabach for that matter.

Williams, Dockery, Brown and Heyer all had good games.

I don't see how they review that game and come up with this.

I call dibs on the front seat of the
"Fire Foerester" wagon.