Redskins sign three draft picks

The Redskins signed draft picks Dennis Morris, Selvish Capers and Erik Cook, the team announced Friday evening. Contract terms were not revealed.

Washington selected Morris, a fullback-tight end, in the sixth round (174th overall) of the three-day April draft. Last season, the former Louisiana Tech standout, listed at 6'2", 265 pounds, had 38 receptions for 623 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Offensive linemen Cook (6-6, 318) and Capers (6-5, 308) were seventh-round selections. With the 229th pick, Washington chose Cook from New Mexico. Two picks later, the team added Capers, who had a productive career at West Virginia.

The selections of Cook and Capers, as well as the pick of Oklahoma's Trent Williams, who has not yet signed, signaled Coach Mike Shanahan's concern about Washington's lack of skill and depth along the offensive line. Shanahan moved quickly to bolster the line after the previous regime failed to adequately address the team's glaring needs at the position as Washington finished last in the NFC East the past two seasons.

By Jason Reid  |  June 11, 2010; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  Offensive line , Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan to reduce minicamp from three days to two
Next: Redskins are still a possibility for Brian Westbrook

Comments

Posted by: Corvis777 | June 11, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

*First, and second maybe?

Posted by: Corvis777 | June 11, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Yay for D Mo. And two OL.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 11, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Please raise your hand if you thought I was serious and I will come by and hit you on the head with a tack hammer.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 5:23 PM

Wow, that's comedy gold... Asking if a guy who played both DB and WR in this league could play FS.

Now you're going to imitate Gallagher by saying that you're going to hit someone in the melon with a hammer.

You know you can make your numerous weak attempts to be funny and that doesn't make you a comedian but when you sucked that one penis in high school that made you a C0cksucker.

Who's your Hokie now?

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 5:43 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

wireman65, thanks for the courtesy beeps on the last thread

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Good job signing draft picks before July. Another sign things are moving in the right direction. I want to know who these people are who think this is a horrible organization? I think 8-8 is well within reach. And if the ball bounces the right way a couple of times, 10-6 or 11-5 don't seem out of the question. If anyone who doesn't want to see the Redskins this year wants to mail me their tickets, I will take them and go to the game myself! If not, get on board and be excited about the progress this team has made in 5 months. Imagine how it will look in 5 years with Shanahan!

Posted by: moon9778 | June 11, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

though they may leave it unspoken.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 11, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I doubt that shanny will stay around for 5 yrs.......

Maybe a yr or two but after that I hope we hand the team off to young shanny n he takes over as our new head coach

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Im with you moon!!! I dont see how any true fan of the Redskins couldnt be excited!!! Mark my words: In two years we will be on top of the NFC East!!!

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | June 11, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | June 11, 2010 7:03 PM

I hope you are right, but there are still some desperate questions along the O line. Next year, we will need a new backfield 'cause Portis and Johnson will be sliding down the backside of their careers. Our receiver corps is highly suspect and needs to make a big statement this year or get rebuilt, and then there's that whole "depth" thing.

Challenges to be met. But I hope you are right.

Posted by: edvar | June 11, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words: In two years we will be on top of the NFC East!!!

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | June 11, 2010 7:03 PM

I'm already on record as saying the Wizards, Caps, and Redskins will all win championships in 2012. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess you SOCCER haters are eating your shorts now.

The world cup got off to a spectacular start today with a 1-1 tie between Mexiuco and South Africa and an EVEN MORE EXCITING
tie between the French Fromage-Eaters and Uruguay's Fightin' Uruguayans.

Final, score: NIL-NIL

90 minutes of idiots kicking a ball around and NO SCORES.

Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 11, 2010 6:45 PM

AH has slimmed down from last year. He's in good shape, trust me.

Can't wait to see DMorris beast mode this year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 11, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

90 minutes of idiots kicking a ball around and NO SCORES.

Posted by: TheCork
__________

Not to mention... NO BOUNCING CHEERLEADERS either! How can they call it a sport.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | June 11, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember when they introduced soccer to our middle school in 1970. They had the more athletically inclined student for a special 2 hour class. There some soccer guru from England there to teach us.

I was not paying attention that well and one of the gym coaches had me go next with the guy. Now I grew into a good sized fella and back then I was about 5-8 and 160 lbs, about the same size as the guru.

He kept saying to tackle him and I just stood there looking at him. He kept repeating himself and finally asked if I was bloody deaf. I said no, so I tackled him. I caught him with my shoulder down and drove him right into the ground.

After he got his wind back, he decided to try me at goalie.

And to this day, I still don't care for soccer.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 11, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

In a world where the elements, Water, Earth, Fire, and Air can be controlled by people known as "benders", the Fire Nation is waging a ruthless war to control the other great nations. The only hope for stopping the war rests on the shoulders of Fartman, who is a Fart Lord and leader of the Fart Nation, and who is especially skilled at fart bending. Fart bending is a skill that enablers the user to force the inhalation lethal doses of hydrogen sulfide found in concentrated fart clouds.

Posted by: BiggerVance | June 11, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

That's funny noone..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

After he got his wind back, he decided to try me at goalie.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 11, 2010 8:14 PM |

Did they put you in Remedial Ed after that incident? If they did you might have crossed paths with another RI blogger, MistaMoe, aka MistaMoeRon.

Posted by: BiggerVance | June 11, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hopin the young guys develop!!!

Austin at pr/kr

D-mo has the best highlight reel I've seen

Capers sportscience scene was pretty inspiring also

Anyone knoif that g/c Cook is any good???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hopin the young guys develop!!!

Austin at pr/kr

D mo has the best highlight reel I've seen

Capers sportscience scene was pretty inspiring also

Anyone knoif that g/c Cook is any good???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

90 minutes of idiots kicking a ball around and NO SCORES.

Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 7:56 PM |

When you have a man up and can't score on what was practically a penalty kick, blame has to be placed at the feet of the players, which is entirely appropriate since football is the only team sport which is feet only.

Posted by: BiggerVance | June 11, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hopin the young guys develop!!!

Austin at pr/kr

D mo has the best highlight reel I've seen

Capers sportscience scene was pretty inspiring also

Anyone knoif that g/c Cook is any good???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

"I guess you SOCCER haters are eating your shorts now.

tie between the French Fromage-Eaters and Uruguay's Fightin' Uruguayans.

Final, score: NIL-NIL

90 minutes of idiots kicking a ball around and NO SCORES.

I'm sorry, we are idiots in a lot of areas, but America has got it SO RIGHT over the rest of the world in sports."

Lol, keep deluding yourself fella.

Posted by: leaf7 | June 11, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I guess you SOCCER haters are eating your shorts now.

tie between the French Fromage-Eaters and Uruguay's Fightin' Uruguayans.

Final, score: NIL-NIL

90 minutes of idiots kicking a ball around and NO SCORES.

Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I feel totally vindicated for loving soccer.

Sometimes you can know that you are on the correct side of an issue simply by looking across the line and noticing the ignoramuses who line up in opposition.

This is one of those times.

By the way, for anyone who is keeping count - the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins spent 2 hours and 6 minutes playing baseball today.

6 of those minutes involved live action, the other 2 hours involved guys standing around adjusting scratching their crotches and spitting sunflower seeds onto the grass. The final score? 2-1.

And this sort of thing happens HUNDREDS of times EVERY summer - it's our national past-time.

Posted by: p1funk | June 11, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

The minutes that Bafana was leading Mexico were pretty damn cool. I'm in it for life, but from an objective standpoint, it's Day 1 to the haters.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 11, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

"It wasn't a banner opening day for the World Cup. Two draws and a horrible offside call."

Dude, don't be ignorant. That was not an offsides call.

2 Players must be back for the striker to beat an offsides call (usually the keeper is one) and one player. In that play only one player was behind the ball bcuz the keeper was forward and out of position... therefore offsides.

Horrible offsides call my ***

Posted by: leaf7 | June 11, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Oops, edit: "That was not a horrible offsides call."

Posted by: leaf7 | June 11, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Are you finished?

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 11, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Bravo, glad to see Morris is in; he's a beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LARorin9Aos&playnext_from=TL&videos=YsROhS1MQNM
Posted by: Corvis777"

That last TD, over Kyle Wilson (yes, the #1 draft choice) is one for the ages.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

That last TD, over Kyle Wilson (yes, the #1 draft choice) is one for the ages.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2010 11:52 PM

Everybody looks good on a highlight reel.

I could only imagine if they had youtube in my day. If so you could see my 2-3 day capped by a 3 run homerun against Kris Benson who was the 1st overall pick in the 1996 MLB draft.

He's still playing in the league and I only got a sniff. He also married a playboy model and while my wife ain't too shabby she ain't exactly this..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Oops, round to leaf7, 10-8 by KO.

I was at work and was taking my dad's word for it. Checked it out on youtube and by the arcane rules of soccer, it is offside.

But when you have to use the word arcane, the haters still win.

Tomorrow...as long as I am in being wrong mode

South Korea 2-1 Greece
Argentina 19-7 Nigeria
USA 1-1 England

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Terrence Austin youtube highlights..

Not too impressive. I was hoping to see him run away from people and be more dangerous in the return game.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I prefer your wife. This looks like a skinny boy with fake boobs.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Smack-

We lost that game 13-3.

She's a vapid hore and should be taken Down by the River...

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I love the look Neil has at 2:30. Feelin' it. Good stuff.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

This is one of those times.

By the way, for anyone who is keeping count - the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota Twins spent 2 hours and 6 minutes ... it's our national past-time.

Posted by: p1funk |

Who are you calling an Ignoramus, Moron?

Baseball, a sport almost but not as dull as Soccer is NO LONGER the American pastime. The American Pastimes include Football NASCAR and basketball--all sports more exciting than Soccer.

Soccer isn't a complete waste, tho....

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Great. A football blog discuccing 2 far inferior and supremely boring sports. Next we'll be arguing birdies or turkeys. Strokes or strikes. Ugh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Cork, you seem fairly well balanced on most other issues. What gives with soccer?

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

We'll give you the soccer for the basketball. And I'll throw in Patrick Crayton.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:22 AM |

Basketball is only good in the postseason when the games are competitive. And I'll take basketball over soccer anyday, especially college.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

There's a REASON they ban us Redskins Fans Fans Club, BECAUSE we're difficult, and hard to control, cowb*tch!!

GONNA BE A POSTAL RYKERS!!! GONNA BE A POSTAL RYKERS!!!

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:16 AM

Pretty, pretty , pretty funny.

Question? I get the birdies (Golf: Great sport) and turkey (bowling: not a sport). But WTF is strokes?

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

HAHaaaa..What he meant to say, OI!!

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 12, 2010 1:33 AM

You think golf is a great sport but don't know what a stroke is? Hmmmm... By the way, golf and soccer are 2 sports that are only fun to play, not watch. That is what we're talking about right? Watching, not playing?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Why do people demand guarantees from soccer? Some games suck some are classic, much like anything else duh.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:22 AM |

...oh and you know what you can do with that Dallas Brokeback.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Selvish Capers is a fu'king stupid name. This is OG for the true football fans:

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 12, 2010 2:05 AM | Report abuse

frak -

hows about you go play in traffic......the bigger the bus the better....

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 12, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

I prefer your wife. This looks like a skinny boy with fake boobs.

Posted by: SMACK1

Quit talkin' sh't man; you can s'ck a d'ck dude. Talkin' about other dudes wives. 'Cux people can start saying the handle SMACK1 refers to the sound made when johnny-ten-inches starts smackin' his one-eyed kiel basa upside ur mouth, f'ggit.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 12, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Even better, my dad is sleepin' upstairs so I am e$$entially in my parent's ba$ement. Well, it's my basement. Anyway monkey, it's Friday night so all debasements need to include a link.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

frak -

hows about you go play in traffic......the bigger the bus the better....

Posted by: the_shocker1 |

You hate us, Jersey and Cowt*rd Post Hijackahs, go suck your Napolean Frou-Frous and condescend on the Redskins from your High Tower infestations on the Big Bucks Ave.

More than half the time , my observations go flyin' over somebodies head and misinterpreted, so yeah, y'alls censorship is usually a good thing...Do me a flavor and block my a** out completely, maybe teams won't run so many plays on me in the WalMart, the Amtrak, the Lowes, etc..(was that Desmond Tutu or FlaveDeFlave on the sidelines at the World Cup?/) .How do You sue Homeland Security for believing (and KNOWING ..) 9-11 was an INSIDE JOB??? MAINTAIN THE ORGANIZED CRIME STATUS QUO AT ALL COSTS..

Humanity is a doomed vehicle with idiots in charge, I'm just havin' fun before the dookus hits the cyclone...

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 2:36 AM |

a load that should have been swallowed....

Posted by: the_shocker1 | June 12, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: goskinsgo1 | June 11, 2010 7:03 PM

by the time we legitimately fill the glaring holes at WR, DB (FS, once landry gets back to his natural position), RB and arguably LB, we're going to be right back to looking for another friggin QB...

Posted by: SkinsFan301 | June 12, 2010 3:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: SMACK1

ur wellcome. By the way, I AM johnny-ten-inches and once I had sex with Patricia Arquette when I was in Malibu CA in 1998. Pretty cool.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 12, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

AH has slimmed down from last year. He's in good shape, trust me.

Can't wait to see DMorris beast mode this year.
Posted by: Rypien11
______________________________________________

Hey Rypien11,
Top of the morning to you.
Do you make this statement in hopes of getting a reaction from your fellow RI ers?
Or do you have actual evidence / reports to support your statement?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 12, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

two quick fixes:

soccer - eliminate "offsides" as a penalty. (good for hockey too.) imagine if fast breaks were illegal in basketball?!

baseball - pitch clock. pitcher has 10-15 seconds to throw the next pitch.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

As long as we're at it, fix baskeball by raising the hoop to 15 feet. Bring back shooting.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

You are right about one thing - NASCAR has sky-rocketed in the U.S. as one of the biggest sports in terms of revenue, TV followers, etc.

So, everyone, if you are bored with 90 minutes of soccer, then take Cork's advice.

Take 5 hours out of your day to watch cars drive in a circle 200 times - it's WAYYY more exciting than soccer.

If you don't get many NASCAR races broadcasted where you live, then try getting a hamster and spend 5 hours watching it run on a little exercise wheel.

You're sure to be stimulated with excitement.

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

also, while we're at it, whatever happened to the classic basketball rules about traveling?

for 2009-2010, those rules were modified to explicitly allow two steps in the NBA, since players had been abusing it for years anyway:

Rule 10, Section XIII—Traveling
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

would rather see the original one-step rule enforced, with more emphasis on the passing game... likewise with palming the ball. part of why I don't enjoy NBA competition.

but hey, that's just my opinion.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

two quick fixes:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The offsides calls don't prevent "fast breaks" as much as they prevent cherry-picking. It takes away from the flow of the game if you can just post a striker up next to the goalie for 90 minutes.

But the whole cherry-picking phenomenon in sports got me and a buddy thinking about a novel approach to basketball.

The 4-man zone would be designed to force a jumpshot. Any time the team did not score a basket on the 4-man zone, they would be immediately punished on the other end with a long outlet pass and an easy bucket.

How would that change the dynamic of the game?

I know something like that wouldn't necessarily fly in the NBA, but what about at the high-school or college level?

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I think they call that 'dodgeball', where there are two groups of people at each end, and no one goes anywhere near the middle.

Posted by: daggar | June 12, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

You could do the same thing with hamsters, a ping-pong ball painted like a soccer ball, and a scale field (I estimate about the size of a Buick).

Put 'em on the field, or put 'em on exercise wheels on the field. Makes no difference. Just as exciting either way.

At the end of regulation, it will still be NIL-NIL.

At least NASCAR will have crash or two, perhaps even car bits flying into the spectators.

If you are live and in person in the neighborhood of THAT you will surely be stimulated with excitement! Only viscerally on the tube.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 9:47 AM

this reminds me a little of korfball, which is fantastically popular as a club sport in Holland...

although will admit that korfball is more fun to play than watch.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Moo-

How 'bout cow pie tossing?

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 10:00 AM

good stuff, but more friendly competition than sport.

also, blocking is perilous for those who wish to engage in the defensive side of cow pie tossing.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Moo-

Yeah, when you get down to it, probably more fun for the cow providing the raw materials that any subsequent participants.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

got that right.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

by the way, signing of these three picks makes sense to me, although signing at this point is no guarantee they'll make it to the season opener.

not much else to say, other than Selvish Capers has been emerging as a RI favorite on account of his name alone.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 9:47 AM
..................

what the heck is wrong with "cherry picking"?

seems to me like if a team wants to station a player next to the goalie they should be allowed to. it would be a strategic choice - like in your basketball example. obviously by keeping that "striker" near the other team's goalie, they're weakening their own defense, but that's a choice they should be allowed to make. you see this all the time in hockey where one team gets a "breakaway" type-thing going, the excitement builds...then...offsides....

i've always thought offsides was one of the dumbest rules in sports. it's like saying "whoa there! this almost got exciting. can't have that!" (here, obviously, i hope, i'm not talking about the football kind of offsides, but just offsides in "flow"-type games.)

again, i think the analogy to basketball is a good one: imagine if fast breaks were against the rules.... imagine if you had to give the other team a chance to set up it's defense... it's crazy.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

"AH will show up overweight, out of shape and not respected by any of his teammates....though they may leave it unspoken."

Folks post stuff like this on the regular, suggesting that Prince Al has had a long history of being an out-of-shape Manatee who just happens to play football.

Thing is, he doesn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

moo, avert your eyes.

Lately the Afghanis have taken to using decapitated calves because those carcasses tend to rot slower under a scorching midday sun--but whatever!

from:

there's no "offsides" in buzkashi.

i lived in afghanistan for 4 years back in the day, and actually attended a buskashi game. there's also no "out of bounds" either - it's up to spectators to get out of the way or be trampled. the players use whips not just to get their horses to run faster, but on each other. and we think football players are tough...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

If you want excitement in sports, nothing beats Over-The-Line.

AH will show up as required by contract. He will be in acceptable shape. He will be put on the field during games. And when he is on the field, he will push people around.

How does it benefit him to perform poorly on the field? And he will be there.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | June 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 10:55 AM

mol... unfortunately, the excitement of buzkashi is tempered by slowly rotting calves.

as a traditionalist, I feel that the more rapid decomposition of goats adds some urgency to the game.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 12, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

What if a team designed a defensive zone that only utilized 4 players, and left one of its players standing under the opposing team's basket at all times?...
Posted by: p1funk | June 12, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

They would lose. Badly. And Coach p1funk, inventor of the "one man down" defense, would be fired after two games.

Posted by: mack1 | June 12, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"baseball - pitch clock. pitcher has 10-15 seconds to throw the next pitch."

Actually, the best way to speed up a baseball game-if that's what you want--is for umpires to call very narrow strike zones.

It would end the long-at bats some teams use to wear down an exceptional starting pitcher.

There's enough technology to allow a 'k-zone' type device to decide balls and strikes.

But who wants that?

We've forgotten that all sports were born in a time were the dynamics of culture and attitude shaped their outcome.

Pro football is a Sunday game as Saturday afternoons were for college football and baseball, back in the day.

And professional football was the red-headed stepchild of sports.

The early gurus of football of the 1950s-60s saw unused Sunday tv time as clay they could shape a league out of.

And they did so to a rather exceptional degree.

Baseball, conversely, was hewn out of the down time of relaxing Civil War soldiers. The baseball cap itself comes from the old Confederate soldier's cap.

There is evidence of a game very much like baseball being played as far back as the American Revolutionary War.

The game's leisurely pace just is not suitable for a modern society whose attention span is so taxed that another activity folks find boring--reading for pleasure--is also under attack.

And as with the case with reading, if you don't like a televised sport, just change the channel.

That's what intelligent people do when faced with something they'd prefer not to enjoy.

Otherwise, the endless whining about which sport is better than the next is as exciting as the soccer I'm not watching.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 12, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

The preferred ball is that of an English leftenant, my Afghani tribal sources tell me..

Bit of the strident "flying saucer" last eve..Hope to be more "Comedius Commodious" in the future..But there are no guarantees..

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

moe,
i love not watching soccer. in fact, that's what i'm doing right now! but i've got nothing against soccer-lovers, it's just not my thing. i'd probably like it more if i grew up playing it.

with regards to your "small strike zone" idea, i gotta say i think the strike zone has become way too small. what ever happened to "knees-to-armpits"? also, and this relates to your "k-zone type device" idea, the strike zone has become too personalized. it should not matter who the ump is, or who the pitcher is - yet it does. and umps shouldn't "give" a pitcher wide pitches if they've been well set-up by previous pitches. to that end, i'd love to see a machine for calling balls and strikes. something like that would have no effect on the precious "leisurely pace" of the game.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather have sulfuric acid poured in my eyes than watch soccer or NASCAR.

Soccer has betting lines for ties. How f'ing lame is that?

Posted by: Rahtard | June 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I hate to interrupt the awful love/hate soccer debate, but there's perhaps some good news on the RB front here in D.C.:

Broncos backing off Brian Westbrook
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 11, 2010 8:32 PM ET
Brian Westbrook successfully drummed up interest after the NFL Draft, but he's yet to make a decision about his future. There are indications that at least one suitor is tired of waiting.

Bill Williamson of ESPN writes Denver is "softening" its pursuit of the former Eagles running back. Instead, the Broncos want to see how J.J. Arrington looks in a third down role during training camp.

The Redskins remain interested in Westbrook, although we wonder if they would like to finally get an answer from him, perhaps before the team's mandatory minicamp next week. Westbrook visited the Rams first, but St. Louis appears to be his fallback plan.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

i'm all for getting westbrook at the proper salary.
....................

from wiki:
"The top of the strike zone is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the batter's shoulders and the top of the uniform pants. The bottom of the strike zone is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap....

In very early iterations of the rules during the 19th century, it took up to 9 balls for a batter to earn a walk; however, to make up for this, the batter could request the ball to be pitched high, low, or medium..[citation needed]
....................

hahaha "the batter could request"....how nice...hahaha!

about that "mid point/shoulders...top of pants" part: someone should design a uniform w/"jailin" pants....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

England vs USA!

Yahoo!!!

I'm talking about war over BP, not Soccer.

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 12, 2010 1:18 AM |

Jes stirrin ' the pot. I watch some world cup games, including the upcoming USA v England.

Saw many games in person--my kids.

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

England vs USA!

Yahoo!!!

I'm talking about war over BP, not Soccer.

Posted by: TheCork

THATS RIGHT , THE GLOBALISTS BLEW UP THE MOTHER TO RUIN THE US ECONOMY, WE THE PEOPLE ARE THE BIGGEST THREAT TO THEIR GLOBAL DOMINATION, OI!!

The Great Oi Spill (Wattie always cracks me hop..luv 'em):

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Haynesworth will come into camp in good shape and he will say, "this whole thing has been blown out of proportion about me not practicing. I told the team all along about my intentions and you can see I am in great shape." All will be forgiven and then the Post will have to find some other story to blow out of proportion.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 12, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

COOK is a good player and I believe will be a solid back-up to RABACH. Say goodbye to WIL MONTGOMERY, a player with good techniques and instincts, but just too small for the NFL. RINEHART and/or EDWIN WILLIAMS could depart also. Depending on CAPERS' play at RT, HEYER would be third on the depth chart and be the odd man out there with HICKS starting and CAPERS
backing up. BMW is planning to hold down RG, and as I said all last year, losing all that weight had to be a drag on his body while playing in the NFL. I think he will be much stronger, if not much quicker. It's obvious to me that he's a guard not a tackle, and it's good to see the brass agrees. TRENT WILLIAMS, DERRICK DOCKERY, CASEY RABACH, MIKE WILLIAMS, and ARTIS HICKS are penciled in right now as starters. But the administration doesn't plan to stand still, it's obvious. If CAPERS or the long-shots already onboard do not impress early, look for another move in FA for a solid back-up at LT or RT.

Posted by: glawrence007 | June 12, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Soccer theory 1.0 how many of these ELITE athletes could play baseball, basketball, football or hockey? Perhaps 4% that is why this is a world event because they could never cut it in any of the sports I mentioned above. Watching this game is like watching fast 4.9 tall ppl run around a field and kick a ball ...Hrmmm

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

Is Artis Hicks all that?? Don't you think we could use Gaithers or the Chargers dude on the fritz with SD management?? And what about the SD WR Victor?? Is it time for a bonghit??

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone can give up on Jared Gaither. he signed his tender and I don't think he's gonna be traded.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Dint he sign RFA tender, and we can now get him for a second or something, and he can be traded?? Aren't you a Cowgirl mole, scampbell?? Are the seeding the chemtrails so we get more rain for global cooling??

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Where's my scissors??

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Go fukc yourself you ass biting faggit. Everyone's getting tired of your dooshbag paranoid ranting. You sound like you've taken it up the ass too many times from your daddy and all his gay ass boyfriends. You ain't nuthin' but a ball gaged blow up doll chained in your daddies basement with a computer. Get a phukin life and a job you liberal ranting cum guzzling queen.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

me? jeez relax sorrry..

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you know who that was directed at rb. Certainly not you... the tin foil hat wearing moron knows...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 12, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

ok cool SC :) thought I had a good point to provoke others reactions and see where it goes

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 3:28 PM |

This is an utterly stupid statement.

If you want to make fun of soccer, have at it, but please...

How ridiculous would Ryan Howard, LeBron James, Peyton Manning or Sidney Crosby look on a soccer field just trying to kick the ball correctly let alone being competitive. Yet aren't they among the elite athletes from the 4 sports you mentioned?

Think a little.

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

This is an utterly stupid statement.

If you want to make fun of soccer, have at it, but please...
Think a little.
You think a little why are SO many countries able to compete? Because of the elite athletes or the fact that they do not NEED to be elite>?

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

We tied ENGLAND!!!!!

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USAUSA USA USA USA USA

Aw, who cares.

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 4:07 PM |

You're changing the argument. You said most of these guys aren't good enough to play baseball, basketball, football or hockey. That poorly considered argument went down in flames quickly when the same logic was applied to those sports.

Now you are saying that they aren't elite because lot's of countries field teams? Is it so unreasonable that these countries can field one team of 20(?) players from the available talent pool of all their male athletes? (maybe 1,000's?)

Do you plan on offering any arguments that actually hold water, or are you just throwing out sh!t hoping something sticks?

Just how do you define an "elite" athlete anyway?

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Call me a convert!!! Such excitement! Many, MANY kicks. Guys got hit in the head with the ball too! (That's legal). One guy got a bloody lip.

Some near misses. Lots of turnovers. When the Referee liked a player he gave him a greeting card.

AND the Offside rule, which is the single most puzzling theory in the Universe this side of Quantum Physics.

After the game the players go home and kiss their sister and the fans riot and get drunk(er).

And let's here it for the game long trumpeters.

THIS is what sports is all about.

I've already set my alarm to catch Swaziland Vs. Kzszszszszsstan at 6 AM West Coast time.

The pundits are predicting a Nil-Nil tie.

Posted by: TheCork | June 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | June 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Just how do you define an "elite" athlete anyway?
_____
Perhaps I went above your head, because josa quavo from Mexico is an elite soccer player being 5,5" and 158lbs, yet in the USA he would be cutting my grass? I would say ELITE is for players that could compete for the sports I mentioned? ED sorry I struck something with you but really....Think about it and I am just throwing s@t out just like watching f'n boring ass soccer. 1-1 USA i heard?

Posted by: rb_rivers | June 12, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, I'm arguing with an idiot here...

Posted by: edvar | June 12, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse