Russell Okung says playing for Redskins 'would be an honor'

With Donovan McNabb now Washington's starting quarterback, the Redskins should attempt to finally improve an offensive line that has been among the league's least effective in pass protection since the middle of the 2008 season.

Washington holds the fourth overall pick and has a huge hole at left tackle with the retirement of Chris Samuels. The premier position along the line would seem to be a good place to start. Many talent evaluators consider Oklahoma State's Russell Okung to be the draft's top left tackle prospect. Okung recently visited the Redskins and we caught up with him Monday for a quick question-and-answer session.

Q: Are you familiar with the Redskins' offensive line tradition?

A: Yes. They have a great tradition for O line. And with Coach [Mike] Shanahan added to the mix the tradition should continue. It would be an honor playing for the Redskins and Coach Shanahan.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Q: How was the whole visit process? Was it fun, tiring or both?

A: It was an honor to be invited to so many teams, including the
Redskins.

Q: What's the most difficult part of playing left tackle?

A: There is a challenge each week to face the opposition's best players but something that motivates me to be the best I can be.

Q: What's the best part of playing left tackle?

A: Playing the best players on the opposing teams every week.

Q: Are you familiar with NFL zone blocking and power blocking schemes?

A: I am familiar and a fan and feel that my skill sets can benefit any type of blocking scheme in the NFL. At the end of the day, I have to block the man in front of me.

Q: Is there a current or former player you've studied closely?

A: Joe Thomas of the Browns. The fact that he plays hard every week, every game and every play.

In the Zone

In the Redskins Tailgate Zone today, Matt "I prefer Bobby" McFarland is leading a discussion of just where Jason Campbell should be playing in the fall.

By Jason Reid  |  April 13, 2010; 6:31 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid , NFL Draft , Offensive line  | Tags: Chris Samuels, Donovan McNabb, Offensive tackle, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign nose tackle Anthony Bryant
Next: A bit of clarity on Albert Haynesworth's situation with Redskins

Comments

"... and that the Skins have given up hope of the chances of landing Dan Williams or Terrence Cody."

Cody or Williams?

That's the question.

If you move AH because you dislike his attitude, get a second rounder to draft his replacement, which top rated nose tackle type is worth the money?

I'd say most AH haters would want the team oriented Williams even though Cody might be the better player.

Why?

Cody has had the same conditioning, motivation, and attitude issues at 'Bama that skins' fans decry about AH.

But, if you move AH, and then obviously have to replace him with a young guy with his kind of ability, you'd have to ask yourself if adding a potential headache makes sense after ridding yourself of one.

Cody or Williams in round 2 (if they're even availiable)?

I'd go with Dan Cody, and put up with the headache.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

"Russell Okung says playing for Redskins 'would be an honor'"

If I'm the lions, I want this guy to protect M Stafford.

But I know the skins want him.

Are the lions potential trading partners (we move up take Okung, they move to #4)?

Maybe.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Moe up and at it early with the hypotheticals!

Posted by: Rypien11 | April 13, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah we don't need AH, we are awesome and deep

Posted by: pabrian2003 |

If I had my druthers I'd have stayed with the 4-3 for at least another year and have kept Fat Al happy. But it's not my call.

Now he won't work out, won't come to voluntary weekends, and all but refused to play nose tackle.

This makes Shanahan unhappy, but he's not trading him for a 5th rounder. May not trade him at all.

Good night, Gracy.

Posted by: TheCork | April 13, 2010 3:12 A

As usual, out of touch and uneducated. It came out yesterday from JReid himself AND other sources that Hayney will indeed be at the minicamp this weekend. An interview was printed late last week with Hayney and he had nothing but positive things to say about the team and coaches. He said he was excited to get to work in this defense as everyone will be moved around to make best use of their skills. Shanny said all this was speculation and looks forward to getting the best out of Hayney. Catch up man or be left behind...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 13, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Okung should make our line better. But I still worry about the fact that he is a rookie and that we still need a lot of depth guys on this line. I hope that June cuts can yield us a few more vets, or that we can pull off a trade or 2 at the draft for more picks or a quality Olineman. Hurry up April 22!

Posted by: FedorEm | April 13, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Playing for the REDSKINS would be an honor? OMG, sign him up. Hey, BIG AL, you listening?

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 13, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I hope that June cuts can yield us a few more vets, ...

Posted by: FedorEm

do they sill have June cuts this year?.. i thought the June cuts were just a way to divert the cap hit caused by these cuts to the following year. With no-cap this year may mean no cuts.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 13, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

"...Moe up and at it early with the hypotheticals!"

Like the Force, the coffee is strong this morning, young Skywalker.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

If the local trash pick-up service were getting ready to pay me quite a few million dollars a year, I'd say what an honor it was to be picking up garbage! Don't think these guys have any real affinity, it's about the money.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | April 13, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 13, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Damn you may have a point. I am not sure now. Totally forgot about that aspect.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 13, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't see a lot of scouts high on this Okung guy, actually. All the talk has been about Klarson and Brantford. If this guy ever DOES make it as a Quarterback to take over for McNabb, then I say it would be an honor for US, not him.

PS - Cut Campbell!! He's really really bad!! Okung and McNabb for QB!

Plus, he said it would be an honor to play QB for the Skins, unlike Campbell and his huge ego that only play for the money!!!

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 13, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I think what he meant to say was "It would be an honor to collect 25 million from any team in the NFL."

Maybe we can get a mid rounder for Rogers and Campbell? A man can hope right?

Posted by: rich20ssu | April 13, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 13, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

me, I hope some team falls in love with okung, and decides he's the missing piece to them winning, and gives up the farm to come up and get him.

that being said, NO, NYET, and NEIN, on Bruce Campbell. That dog wont hunt....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone hear about the 2010 NFL schedule date being released? Usually we would've heard the prime time games by now.

Posted by: rich20ssu | April 13, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Just stop it Moe...we don't need to trade up for Okung, and shouldn't anyway. He'll be on the board at #4. Book it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Thank GOD ALMIGHTY IN THE HEAVENS JC is GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE!!!

YEYAHHHHAWWWWOOOOOOO HAAAAAH!

Thanks to HIM we didn't win a SuperBowl the last two years!!!

Now, we get Okung to play QB and learn from McNabb and Grossman and it's SuperBowls a plenty!!

And cut Albert Fatsworth, too! We don't need him! Carter and Orakpo were the ones with the sacks!!

All Fatsworth did was lay on the field the whole time.... And for a billion dollars a year?

Danny the Snyder sure got taken THAT time! And now JC is the history!

WoooHoooooYeeeeeHaaaaaaaaw!

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 13, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | April 13, 2010 8:10 AM

Word on the street (and by "street" I mean "PFT") is that the full schedule will come out either late this week or early next week, with the more likely scenario being late this week.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | April 13, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I saw something yesterday that said when the schedule would be released but I was on so much benadryl I can't remember when it was. It's out there for the finding though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 13, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Russell Okung says playing for Redskins 'would be an honor'

By Jason Reid | April 13, 2010; 6:31 AM ET

Just as Sports Guru mentioning you is an honor. We would love to have you Russkie!

I am calling him Russkie cuz of his Russian heritage.

Feel free to borrow the nick name.... and spread the erronius info that he is actually Russian... enjoy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 13, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

One can look at this and say that the best part was Okung saying it would be an honor to play for the skins and that was the best part.

I look at it and say. His answers to these two questions are the best.

Q: What's the most difficult part of playing left tackle?

Q: What's the best part of playing left tackle?

A: Playing the best players on the opposing teams every week.

Why, simple. The mane loves the challenge, and is saying it is the most difficult and the best part of the job.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

i hate job interviews thur so judgmental

Posted by: cboyhater | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 13, 2010 8:09 AM

That's what I tole my ex-wife; then she left me.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

i hate job interviews thur so judgmental

Posted by: cboyhater | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM

I take it that sit down for the editor gig didn't pan out, eh?

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 8:26 AM
Agree, that struck me too.

Posted by: wireman65 | April 13, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

i hate job interviews thur so judgmental

Posted by: cboyhater | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM

I've found traffic court to be pretty judgemental too!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 13, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope we get Okung. I still think he's by far the best tackle in this class. I still think we can get a solid right tackle with the 4th round pick. We may have a decent starting O-line but we'll still have no depth. We really need more draft picks.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 13, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

pa, see my post above, best thing to happen is someone wants to come up to #4 in a big way, heck, I'd be happy if they moved back a couple times...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I can't find anything on nfl dot com but my tv guide says espn2 is having a "nfl schedule release special" starting at 7 pm tonight.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

That's what I tole my ex-wife; then she left me.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Congrats!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else catch the ESPN "draft special" last night? It really didn't give alot of insight, but they did say that JC will be traded before the draft.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

sfit, I didn't catch it, but I did hear the SCATHING REVIEW of Bruce Campbell, by some ESPN guys, McShay, and someone else. Both agreed, that BCampbell is a great combine guy, but an AWFUL football player.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

You still subscribe to TV Guide?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 13, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

From what I read, Okung is 1 and Trent Williams is 1A as far as OT prospects in this draft. Although the Lions might threaten to take Okung, I think the Skins should hold tight and not give up any picks or players to move up to the #2 pick.

Posted by: BT23 | April 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life."

There are advantages, though.

Your parents will always be your landlords.

You don't feel guilty about dating barflies and cougars.

Because you have little money, you don't have to deal with that awkward moment on a date when a woman expects you to pay.

Cheap beer is your bottled water.

The Dollar Combo-Meal is gourment dining you take advantage of daily.

Work is what your successful friends complain about before you ask them for a loan.

At job interviews, you don't have to explain the obvious when asked about gaps in your employment.

Weed is your friend and a drug test the enemy.

Maturity is something in a dictionary, but not your life.

When your class reunion arrrives, you can tell your friends you're doing the same things they regret giving up in order to grow up.

Finally, you can post all day in RI, and piss off dudes you'll never see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I dunno with his speed I could see him turn out to be an amazing fullback at worst.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Iowa offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga, who missed three games and lost 10 pounds because of a thyroid condition last season, says he’s 100 percent and that there are no long-term issues.

"It was a three-week thing that ran its course and now it’s gone," Bulaga told The Kansas City Star. "I’ve been checked by doctors at the Mayo Clinic and by my doctor at the University of Iowa, both endocrinologists. I’ve been cleared by both of them.

"Teams just ask me what it is, is it a lingering effect? My agent has sent out a statement from both doctors to every team doctor. I don’t think it’s going to be that much of an impact."

The Chiefs are among the many teams digging in on Bulaga’s medical history. The Chiefs reportedly are considering taking him with the No. 5 overall pick.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 13, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Thinker_

Your handle's a joke - right?

Posted by: bones21 | April 13, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 9:11 AM

LOL Alex...that's some Madden type sh*t you're talking about there!

On a related note, I recently found out that if you change Reggie Bush from a RB to a WR, his rating shoots up from a 79 to about a 90. Just a way to cheat the system if you're interested...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

LOL Alex...that's some Madden type sh*t you're talking about there!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

That was what I was going for

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

You still subscribe to TV Guide?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 13, 2010 9:03 AM

The more effective question is "TV Guide is still printed?" I mean, you gotta think anyone still reading that thing (if it indeed still exists) is also figuring a way to circumvent this switch to digital TV and using the old rabbit ears...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Flipping back and fourth between the Rays game so I missed the BCampbell talk.. They did interview Joe Haden (Gator Corner) who was very impressive, wish we didnt have such a mess at OLine.. alot of talent at other positions this year.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that we might get Shaun Rogers and Cleveland's 1st for our 1st?

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 13, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

WTF JReid keep pimping Okung? He will not be there.....

4th's Mock Draft (5.0)

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. McCoy
4. TWill

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

You mean the "elite" corner that ran a 6.5 second 40! Yeah lets get him!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | April 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 13, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Cody or Williams in round 2 (if they're even availiable)?

I'd go with Dan Cody, and put up with the headache.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 7:03 AM

Eh...Dan Williams will be gone in the top 16....Cody will be gone in the bottom 16 of the 1st round....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

You mean the "elite" corner that ran a 6.5 second 40! Yeah lets get him!

Posted by: rupertpupkin | April 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Who had a strained back at the combine.. he ran a 4.4 at his pro day.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 9:10 AM

The Church of Moe. Sign me up!

"Cheap beer is your bottled water."

LMAO

Posted by: edvar | April 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

We'll probably trade AH and our first to the Lions for Okung and a third...my cheladas calling..

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 13, 2010 9:28 AM

I would do it.....But we would still need to get more in return.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 13, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 13, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

That's what I tole my ex-wife; then she left me.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Congrats!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 8:57 AM

Thank you. Now I have all day to to spend with the fine folks here on RI instead of having to fetch beer and dump the ashtrays for my ex--life is getting better. Now only if we can snag Okung, which I don't think will happen unless we move up...Detroit is where he's landing. You heard it here from me and Mr. Moe.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | April 13, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone ever see McCluster bust a long gainer?? There's no way that guy's a 4.6 40...Maybe they put a Chelada in the endzone...

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:35 AM

Why would we do that???

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 13, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

PS - Cut Campbell!! He's really really bad!! Okung and McNabb for QB!

Posted by: Thinker

With a name like thinker you may want to rethink it. Having a LT prospect play QB probably isn't a good idea even for the redskins.
Bet he could take a hit better than campbell but I heard his release is slower.

Posted by: DG28 | April 13, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:35 AM

I'd take that...we get Okung and an extra pick and the Lions get the guy they wanted all along (Suh) and get to play him next to Haynesworth. That trade is mutually beneficial...making it highly unlikely.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

4th, really?? You're asking frak for logic/reality...just leave him in his own world, and don't ask for any insight into it....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Considering Detroit already traded for a DT this offseason, I would file this in the 'Highly Unlikely' category.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

You still subscribe to TV Guide?
Posted by: RedDMV | April 13, 2010 9:03 AM

Maybe he meant like the Direct tv guide where you can scroll a few days ahead to see whats on. Probably still has schedule show on.

Then again, maybe just likes the crossword puzzle.

Posted by: will_ga | April 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, O Great Socrates Of The Board Beantown, I resemble that remark..And fart baked bean gas in your general direction..

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | April 13, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

We have depth guys on the O-line. Our problem was that they had to start for us. For example, Heyer is an OK backup because he can play either tackle position for a game or two while your starter is out, but is obviously deficient as a starter, as last year proved. We've already signed Lichtenstein and Artis, who hopefully will be adequate back-ups if they can't start for us. And, we've also got BMW and the other holdovers from last year. We should be able to come up with adequate backups, and maybe a starter or two, from that group. If we can come up with a couple of starting-calibre tackles, either through the draft or trades, we should be OK at O-line. Not great, but OK. Signing Flozell Adams might help, too, if he's got anything left in the tank.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 13, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Although there may not be any "June 1 cuts" per se this year, with no salary cap, I think that veterans will continue to be released as roster bonuses become due and teams see what they can get in the draft. Most teams probably believe that there will eventually be some sort of salary restraint mechanism imposed by a new CBA, and they won't want to let their salary structure get too out of control by keeping guys whom they believe are no longer performing up to their contracts (like the above-mentioned Flozell Adams).

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 13, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 9:35 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 9:43 AM |

That's crazy!

Why don't we just keep Albert and take Williams or Bulaga? Then we have both.

Who are we gonna get in the third that could ever hope to have the same impact on the field as Albert? And how do we replace him?

They say they are running a hybrid 3-4 4-3, and that they will move Albert around, so maybe we should give it a chance.

Let's accumulate game-changing players, instead of signing them, paying them, and then running them off.

Posted by: edvar | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I highly doubt Corey williams will effect their plans if they like Suh. Williams was traded along with a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder. He's hardly a world beater. Williams would be a good rotation guy to play along with Suh and Hill. The Lions even with Williams really need another defensive tackle. Drafting Suh would give them a good pass rushing prescence in the middle and Williams would be the rotation guy. Hill is the run stuffer and Gravy Jackson would be the short yardage specialist. I'd say by adding Suh they would make their interior line respectable. They could make the entire D-line respectable if they got a pass rusher for the right side like maybe an Andre Carter or someone...

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

...And that's "Lichtensteiger," not "Lichtenstein."

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

PS - Cut Campbell!! He's really really bad!! Okung and McNabb for QB!

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 13, 2010 8:04 AM

Hey Thinker, you need to learn to think or your handle is a direct opposite of your thoughts. Sir Thinker, Dude, listen and read, and think before you blog. Russell Okung is a Left Tackle and not a Quarterback. Your deep and unnecessary hatred for Jason Campbell have convoluted your thought process! Mr Thinker, think before you blog!

Posted by: abxinc | April 13, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd agree with that, edvar (you live in the Vampire State Building in Romania, I bet), but if AH is outta shape or obstinate towards Shanahan it could be a problem..But he's righteous when he's on the field, thats fer dam sure..

Posted by: frak | April 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Why don't we just keep Albert and take Williams or Bulaga? Then we have both.

Posted by: edvar | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM

First of all, it's the coach that wants AH gone, so what we want doesn't count here. If they're gonna unload the guy, get something back. Considering what it would take to move up (which I don't think they should anyway), sending AH instead of a clusterf*ck of picks would be a far better scenario if they absolutely feel they have to move up to get their guy.

And let me fix your last statement:

Let's accumulate OUR OWN game-changing players IN THE DRAFT instead of signing OTHER TEAMS' PLAYERS, paying them, and then running them off.

I mean, people here turn their noses up at draft picks and then b*tch that we trade them all away. Can't have it both ways...a 3rd round pick doesn't sound like much when you reference it anonymously but when you take into account Pro-Bowler Chris Cooley was taken with one of those anonymous picks, it certainly has some value...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Eh...Dan Williams will be gone in the top 16....Cody will be gone in the bottom 16 of the 1st round.."

Indeed.

And it points out the tricky game that come with moving AH for picks in the first place.

Ideally, you'd like to move him and get a good defensive player you can groom into a great one.

I say Leave Albert Be!

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 13, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 10:11 AM

Where did you dig this jewel up? JReid? Nowhere can you find a quote that says MS wants AH gone. Can you please provide a link to where MS said this or is this just your opinion that you like to spout off as the truth?

Posted by: Skins930 | April 13, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

WTF JReid keep pimping Okung? He will not be there.....

4th's Mock Draft (5.0)

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. McCoy
4. TWill

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse
________

Detroit may take Okung (hope not) but I think you're underrating Suh. He totally dominated Texas in the Big 12 title game and had more of an overall impact than McCoy, in my opinion.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | April 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 10:11 AM

As I recall, Washington didn't have a third round pick in that draft, but traded a fifth plus a second from the next year's draft to New Orleans to get Chris Cooley.

Posted by: League-Source | April 13, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Man, that is really not a very flattering picture of Campbell on RI. I could just picture the words from Forest Gump coming out of his mouth:

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 13, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 13, 2010 10:24 AM

How they arrived at the pick isn't the point...the point is they used a 3rd rounder to select Cooley and just because a pick isn't in the top 10 doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

The value of the Williams trade was affected by his sizable contract and its limited duration. That's like saying Anquan Boldin is only worth a 4th and 5th rounder, when in reality, that was just the equivalent value given his sizable salary and limited duration in 'Zona.

Anyway, the point is that this talk about how the Lions NEED a DT is bogus. Sure, they may want a guy to rotate, as you said, but that would mean at least for this season they would have two sizable contracts up front. If I'm Detroit, I'm taking Okung or someones draft in exchange for Okung.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 13, 2010 10:26 AM

Part of me wants to jump down your throat for saying something that ignorant...the other part wants to point out that the guy that played Bubba is now the Director of CTU on "24". Slow day at work if that's the biggest conflict I've seen all day...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Why Campbell gotta be Bubba though?

Why not Lt. Dan or the dude banging his moms making 'O' sounds?

Or the Elvis spoof?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Why Campbell gotta be Bubba though?

Why not Lt. Dan or the dude banging his moms making 'O' sounds?

Or the Elvis spoof?

Posted by: RedDMV | April 13, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The beating that he has taken... I would say he is more in line with Jeeeeeeeeeni!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | April 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 13, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

How is it any more bogus than them needing a LT? Schwartz likes Backus and feels much of the pressure came from the interior line and the RB's and TE's missing blocks. Their DTs were the worst in the league last year. Adding one guy isn't going to change that. No DTs play the entire game. They have to get a third DT or else you have Grady Jackson in there and you're back to the worst DTs in the NFL again. Maybe Sammie Lee Hill becomes the rotation guy? I wouldn't be surprised at all if they took Suh then took Kyle Wilson in the second. I think either Okung or Suh is an option for them. I'm betting they take Suh.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | April 13, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Please retire Hogettes! Your day has long passed.

Posted by: mattphillips | April 13, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

PS - Cut Campbell!! He's really really bad!! Okung and McNabb for QB!

Posted by: Thinker_

_____________________________________________________________

Just curious: who's going to be the Redskins fans' new scapegoat when McNabb is getting pulverized behind this line and Campbell is enjoying some level of success — and a little peace of mind for the first time in his career — elsewhere?

If Campbell's issues were ego-driven, he would have allowed himself to go to the training room and sit out when it was clear that the team wasn't going to win and Zorn's pop-gun offense wasn't going to cut it against NFL defenses. Instead, he stood in there, got the bejeezus beaten out of him every week and kept getting up and going again. I'm not suggesting he's a Hall of Famer, or an elite quarterback. But the Campbell hate is way overboard and undeserved. It will be time to find a new scapegoat when Saint Donovan doesn't bring a Lombardi Trophy to Washington in his one season with the Redskins.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

And so is getting Danny Boy's checks.

Posted by: jfoster13 | April 13, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

DC2Dallas...count me as one of Campbell's biggest critics. Not his character mind you, but his lack of ability to produce on the field. A big part has been the offensive line and the way he's been managed, but a large part is Campbell himself. Even when he's had the opportunities, he usually doesn't produce. An overthrown pass, an errant pass, a missed receiver, poor decisions, fumbles, inability to move the offense, etc. One of the best character guys ever on a Redskins team. But, can't win.

Posted by: jfoster13 | April 13, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2Dallas | April 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse
===================================

Agreed, 100%...

Posted by: arizona4 | April 13, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Okung is a no brainer and should be availabe at No. 4 if Bradford, Suh, and McCoy are all selected as expected in front of him. I seriously hope the Redskins don't forfeit additional future draft picks to move up to No. 2. If Okung gets picked in front of them, Trent Williams is not a major dropoff and the Redskins could probably trade down to pick him and accumulate some additional picks.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 13, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"Drafting Suh would give them a good pass rushing prescence in the middle and Williams would be the rotation guy. "

Funny thing is, Suh isn't a great pass rusher. That's why the Oklahoma guy is getting better press in some quarters.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 13, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Just curious: who's going to be the Redskins fans' new scapegoat"

Don't worry, it's always somebody.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 13, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

F-Dallas

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 13, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Wait... Teams can "draft" offensive linemen? What a crazy idea.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 14, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

the key is to keep players motivated and a bit hungry when there are questions about their work ethic.

the Redskins signed Haynesworth and guaranteed him enough money so that he never really has to worry about anything again. he is set. once you do that to a player like Haynesworth, who has had issues before with conditioning and maturity, you are setting yourself up for trouble.

it's not so much the money but WHO you pay it to that is the problem here in Washington.

We never gave a Peyton Manning or LaDainian Tomlinson a big max contract in the 2000's, instead we have lined up guys like Stubblefield and Haynesworth who just took the money.

It's why this team hasn't won the division since 1999.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 14, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If AH doesn’t want to be in DC, let him go, he’s just a drama QUEEN anyway. If your Boss just gave you 21 million and then asked you to do something and you said “NO” how do you think your Boss would feel. In other words AH you got paid get your plump behind in there and wreak havoc. This isn’t about money or wanting to win or anything like that this is all about AH wanting to have his way. AH this boat doesn’t float like that anymore it’s a new day. It sends a message that no one in the locker room is above the “LAW” and that goes for a guy who last week cashed a check for 21 mill. Anyone that is a cancer to the team or is not a team player needs to go this is a new day. Shanny won’t take crap off of anybody, no one knows how this is going to work out but we all know that CHAMPION attitudes start at the top and trickle down. AH is not a HOF player and all you can ever expect in this league is to get as much money as you can in the short playing career you have and AH did that. His salary just from the Skins is more than 80% of the players in the league will ever make in their careers. Not wanting to work out with the team, not wanting to go to mini camp, FU AH and take your bull feces back to TN or whatever team will have you. Believe me before the draft week end is over AH will be a distant memory. And he can mean mug somewhere else and then get carted off the field, looking like a giant sissy. If I were Snyder I would have put 21 million in a cardboard box and set it in the middle of Anacostia and said AH here you go, if you think your bad go get your money Beezitch.

Posted by: DB14 | April 15, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse