Texans' Mario Williams presents challenge for Redskins offensive line

"I look at it like ... all I can do is go out and play," Williams said in a phone interview Thursday. "I really never focus on comparisons or anything like that. ... It's just all about at the end of a career, looking back on what you did and then talking about it. All I try to do is go out and help my team and, hopefully, make a name for myself."

He has already done that.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft, Williams is among the league's most dominant defensive players. The Redskins' offensive line, and especially rookie left tackle Trent Williams, faces a formidable challenge against Mario Williams on Sunday at FedEx Field. In the last three seasons, Mario Williams has totaled 14, 12 and 9 sacks.

Mario Williams played well in Houston's season-opening victory over Indianapolis (he had one sack), and is ready to face the Redskins, whose spread offense is almost identical to that of the Texans. Dallas star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware beat Trent Williams, who was making his regular season debut, for a sack in Washington's season-opening victory.

Because of Trent Williams's inexperience, it would seem that Mario Williams would line up opposite him exclusively. Mario Williams, however, could often choose to battle right tackle Jammal Brown. "It just depends on how I feel. That pretty much, a lot of times, dictates where I go," he said. "It's just something that I do. And the coaches basically give me the leeway, the freedom, to roam a little bit and just go to different sides and try different stuff."

As with all elite pass rushers, Williams possesses power and speed. "What happens with the power is, a lot of times, it comes with speed," he said. "It's all about just trying to get off the ball and having the speed to set different things up. I'm accustomed to using [power moves], but I also try different stuff."

So, which side does Williams plans to play mostly against the Redskins?

"It just depends," he said. "It's all about stopping that run. That's what it starts with. They've got two great running backs [Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson]. The offensive line, from what I've seen, they play pretty well together, even though they do have a couple of new guys in there at tackle.

"You have to stop the run. And if you do that, then you can kind of dictate where you want to go and how you want to line up as the game progresses."

By Jason Reid  |  September 17, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jammal Brown , Offensive line , Trent Williams
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lorenzo Alexander has faith that offense will improve
Next: Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans

Comments

First to say Trent Williams will hold his own against Williams.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

gotta run help to Williams's side, I have confidence in him, but I'd rather not take that chance. TE on that side, or rb chip on every play...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Let's just be thankful that Brian Cushing is out this game for taking female steroids (sissy). Apparently Mario has a groin pull as well, so he's not really 100%

Would like to see DT and especially Fred Davis involved in passing game.

Re: 2 Consecutive Fades to AA vs. Dallas

Straight retard. Very Zornesque. We heard so much about exploiting mismatches in the passing game, why not lineup Fred Davis there? Even if they know it's coming, just make it a jump-ball/PI scenario.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

They didn't help him too much with Ware did they? And I thought he held his own pretty well, and Ware is better than Super-Mario.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

If TW can hold his own against Ware, it stands to reason he'll be alright going against MW. If this kid can pass all the tests he'll have this year, he'll be dominant by Year 2...

Hess, you gotta stop worrying dude...there are grown ups in Ashburn now. I doubt we trade for McNabb if the dude consistently crapped the bed when it matters the most. You don't spend half your career in conference championship games without being able to run a 2 min drill. It's not like we have Romo or something...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Some of those mcnabb passes that were inches away from our tiny recievers could be snagged by a guy with another 8 inches of hieght

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 16, 2010 8:44 PM |

But what about the dirt balls? Those are his passes that have me concerned. McNabb is going to face a 2 minute drill at some point this season and that's cause for real concern too.

Posted by: hessone | September 16, 2010 8:50 PM |

Hessone....

Ya I was at the game n saw the dirtballs myself......

Wasn't happy with those, I recall 3 clear catches if the pass was a foot or two higher

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 16, 2010 9:10 PM |

But what about the dirt balls?

Am I missing something, or is hess complaining about something that hasn't yet happened?? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is that what's going on...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:03 AM |

Never said you were missing a thing bean. McNabb throws dirtballs and isn't a good 2 min drill QB. What's wrong with those comments? I hope he does a better job, we'll see.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

p1, agreed on FD/DT getting more touch's, its just gotta happen for this offense to improve...

monk, MW is a different cat, Ware is in the 260 range, MW is 300, fast and strong...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

McNabb did throw a couple of dirt balls. The one big knock on him is that when he is in the pocket he has always hit backs and receivers in the ankles on the short stuff. I do think he will be ok in the two minute drill though.

Posted by: srobert1117 | September 17, 2010 8:22 AM |

Hope you're right srobert, we'll see.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:24 AM

Not sure I'd call it "straight retard"...I don't like that they ran it a 2nd time either, but I get what they were doing. AA had the DB beat clean on the first play and they thought they could catch 'em napping on the 2nd one. Seems to me like they just overthought it...Zorn would have called it twice because he probably went into games with only 5 pass plays anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

hess, he's one of the 10 best qb's in the NFL, and he's NOT one of the top 10 problems with this team...nitpicking to me..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Mario is going to be a different kind of rusher, more powerful than DW, less reliant on the fakes/jukes to get around guys. Remember, TW had trouble with Suggs in the preseason particularly when Suggs just bull-rushed him and pushed him into the backfield a couple of times. Hope TW is ready to stand his ground.

We need to get mileage out of the run game. So far the stretch plays suck. Guys can't seem to hold their blocks on the stretch plays and Portis/LJ look slow picking their cut. The one-cutbacks were the plays that started working against Dallas in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:22 AM
-----------------------------------------
I agree. Have the tightend smack him early in the game and then release him later on. Texans defense should allow a little more two tight end so should be easy to have a tightend beside Williams without giving away the play. I'd be happy if they let Sellers sit the whole game. Fred Davis needs to emerge. I think the Texans defense will give up a lot of underneath stuff to the tight ends.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree they are different, and Super-Mario is probably in the top 2 or 3 passrushers in the league, but I feel Ware is the cream of the crop (Romo's cream, sorry couldn't resist) and Ware I think has more of a motor and more moves in his aresenal. Either way, should be a good match-up. Maybe they will let Trent play him straight-up in the first couple series and see how it goes, then if he needs help put a back or TE over there to help.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Would like to see DT and especially Fred Davis involved in passing game.

Re: 2 Consecutive Fades to AA vs. Dallas

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:24 AM |

Agree, very disappointed with FD so far this year, gotta get him going.

If you run the ball successfully, keep running those plays until the defense stops you, but I don't like to see the same play run back to back at the goal line.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

p1funk/brown26 - The second fade pass to AA was not by design but it was an option off a blitz, according to Shanny.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

There was one play the 'Pukes ran that was interesting.

They had Choice, Barber and Jones lined up in the backfield. When the ball got snapped it became a pitch to Choice with Barber to his right and Jones a little behind Barber.

It clearly deveopled into an option and Choice could either run with it or pitch it to Jones, and Barber would become a blocker.

That would be a cool play to run with Portis, Sellers and Banks. Or maybe DT instead of Banks. Either way Banks/DT could shift in or out of the formation to become a receiver and keep the defense off-balance.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:32 AM |

Sorry greg, not nitpicking, it's just a concern, that's all. BTW, does anyone know why the phrase "nitpicking" was coined ? I found out the hard way, and it sucks.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

If anyone remembers that dude "He Hate Me" from the short-lived XFL, here's a look at what he's doing now:

He's no Denzel, but he's no "Kindergarten Ninja" either...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

However it developed, I just don't understand why we aren't using our TEs more in that situation.

There's been alot of talk about mismatches. The TEs are supposed to be the strength of our passing game. I mean, you are at the 5 yard line. Bring in an extra lineman to block, and just have Cooley and Davis lineup as WRs or something. I'm not sure Davis was even on the field for that play.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Fred Davis might be motivation. Remember last year, he had lots of problems until Cooley went down, then he stepped up and became a better blocker. Now that Cooley is back, it looks like he's back to the same lazy Davis. I don't know about what goes on in practice, if he hasn't been catching as well, but his blocking sucked the other night. He needs to show more effort in his blocks, maybe then he'll get more time running routes. Look at Thomas, those good kick-offs might land him some time at receiver this Sunday. Shanahan rewards good effort in one area with more playing time in another.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor,

"Houston all-pro defensive end Mario Williams doesn't focus on the performances of other top players at his position."

M Williams is indeed a beast.

But unlike with the cowboys or giants, the Texans' front 7 isn't made up with similar stud players.

If the skins' line held the fort against Ratliff, Ware and Spencer, it should be fine against Williams, Ryans, and Okyobi.

Again: go with power formations, two tight end sets, controlled dink and dunk play action passing, aggressive teams play (fake punt?), and make the lighter, quicker Texans D play ugly.

We may not beat them, but if we can keep things close, we may be able to pull out a win on a late kick.

I say try beating the Texans 17-14 in a tough defensive struggle rather than losing to them 38-21 trying to play pretty.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:47 AM |

Heck p1, line up with two TE's in the jumbo package and pass the ball if it's there. If not, run the ball.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

DM5 does throw some low balls, but he also doesn't throw many which have a high change of being picked off.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 17, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Remember last year, he had lots of problems until Cooley went down

Is this a serious statement?? FDavis got IGNORED by the coaching staff, to their own peril, until Cooley went down...there were no problems other than the former coach was a buffoon...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya and I agree, but at the same time I believe we were up 10-0 at that point and I think not turning over the football was the biggest concern down there. I think the mentality was "Hey let's get the TD if it's there, otherwise be safe with the football and we'll take the 3 points...make them beat our defense that is playing well." -IMO

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Agree, very disappointed with FD so far this year, gotta get him going.

Posted by: hessone

How? They're ONE game in and I may be wrong but I didn't see a lot of two TE sets Sunday night. The only time I can recall seeing Fred Davis on the field he was called for a penalty then promptly removed from the game not to be seen for the rest of the night.

Need not to worry about Sleepy. As the season goes along we'll see more of him. Hell, I DO expect to see him on the field more against the Texans. Much easier for TEs to run routes vs. a 4-3 than a 3-4.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Totally off topic...but saw the the CR22 almost-pick again last night...he didn't even get his hands on the ball...hit him more in the wrists/arms...maybe he needs contacts or glasses...like Wild Thing in Major League?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 17, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

True.

Some of the dirtballs just look like bad mechanics.

But some of them are also throws that he rushes when under pressure. DMac knows that WCO is about timing, so he knows he needs to get the ball out in certain situations even if he's not set.

I'll take a dirtball any day over a QB who doesn;t understand the timing and clutches, clutches, clutches and then gets sacked...not that I'm referring to anyone in particular of course...

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Sure. Get him some contacts.

Then the ball can bounce straight of off his palms instead of his wrists.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 17, 2010 8:53 AM |

cosign, that could explain a few of those throws. I think if McNabb has enough time he'll get the ball downfield and that should help our running game.

moe, winning ugly is 12 beers and a chick escorting you home after last call.

Losing ugly is waking up next to her the following day.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

sounds like some of you believe the offense has peaked already. I may be living in a fantasy world, but i like thinking that when it comes to leadership and poise in the huddle Mc5 is second only to Favre, and maybe peyton. (which would make him third). if Galloway only batches two passes all season he's still gonna draw coverage. we have definite catches in Moss, Cooley, and Davis pretty gtood hands in Armstrong and servicable in the rest.Shanny didn't perfect the zone run only to have it fail. every person has to be in sync for success and that takes time. honestly I expect improvments every week with us clicking on all cylinders by week 6. sticking with my 10-6 call

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 8:56 AM |

To this point he hasn't done squat, including his blocking. Preseason he dropped passes, including a TD that hit him in the hands. Look, I hope the guy get's it going, but notta so far.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Let's not get all Philly Phan here and start imagining problems where there aren't any...
Passing game will get better by around mid-season... not too much before. At least we're talking about improvement instead of making excuses. Anyone missing Soup over Chunky now?

I want another guard in exchange for Stompy!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 9:02 AM |

McNabb couldn't hold a candle to Farve and Manning in running the 2 minute offense, and that's from the real world.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

To this point he hasn't done squat, including his blocking.

I mean, if we're using this convoluted logic, then we should cut Twilliams, he gave up a sack, and is on track to average 16 sacks for the year, we should fire Kyle Shanny, as the on track to only average 13 points per game, DMac wont throw a TD pass all year long.....wtf is wrong with some people....

Good news for the Texans Foster, as he's going to end up with over 3600 rushing yards...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

hessone

"I think if McNabb has enough time he'll get the ball downfield and that should help our running game."

Yes, D Mac does throw a lot of cut-fastballs into the dirt.

But he was one of the league leaders last year in passes completed over 20 and 40 plus yards (go check NFL.COM passing stats).

JC was the better short-ball thrower, but the issue there is it that allowed the defense to play 'up' and tight against the run, too.

McNabb's best bet this week should be 5-step drop passes 20 yards (to Cooley/Moss/Davis) into the center of the field deep off play action fakes to Portis.

Force the Texans to play the run or pass.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Also, Moss dropped a pass that him him RIGHT in the hands last Sunday, so what do with him hess....he's either traded for a 18th round pick, or cut....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"TW did an OK job against Ware - Ware did have a sack and was getting into the backfield."

Exactly, he should be fine against Williams also. Plus I hear Williams is having groin issues, could benefit the Skins.

"It's not like McNabb was lighting it up and I think some of that had to do with Cowpukes pressure and McNabb rushing some throws."

Or the WR's we have just weren't getting open.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 17, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the Mike Singletary honeymoon is over in San Fran:

Mike Singletary is done talking about "the Yahoo deal"

49ers coach Mike Singletary appeared on KPIX in San Francisco on Thursday for an interview with Dennis O'Donnell.

And Singletary wasn't happy with the decision of O'Donnell to ask about a Yahoo! Sports report that the 49ers are losing faith in offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye. (Singletary seemed to be miffed because he had talked about the issue at a press conference earlier in the day.)

We can't really do the thing justice by writing about it; you need to see it to appreciate it.

Here are our favorite quotes:

1. "Don't base an entire man's career on a dad-gum Yahoo commercial."

2. Asked about trying to stop quarterback Drew Brees, Singletary cut off the question. "We will not try to stop Drew Brees. We will stop Drew Brees. Next question."

3. Asked about trying to move the ball against the Saints, Singletary again cut off the question. "We will not try to move the ball against the New Orleans defense. We will move the ball and we will score."

It's possible that the 49ers are more entertaining when they're not playing a game. Then again, Monday night's game against the Saints should be pretty dad-gum entertaining.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:14 AM |

Bean, you should work in the Redskins PR department.

Anyhow, FD needs to step it up a notch in my opinion. At least Moss had made some plays Sunday night.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hess,
one superbowl, 5 championship games is VERY real world experience. the Eagles don't run alot of hurry up and Mc5 may not be the most accurate passer but less picks than Favre and more atheletic than Manning and always remember, never forget NFC championship game 4th and 26 who converts. so stop freakin out man!!!! your paranoid banter can't hold a candle to the facts

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Remember last year, he had lots of problems until Cooley went down

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Ignored??? There is a reason he got ignored. He was a slacker, coming to meetings late, over sleeping, and not blocking well cause he didn't put in the time.
It is well documented that the week after Cooley went down against the Eagles he new he'd be the starter to he figured, "wow, I need to pull my head outta my azz and actually earn my paycheck". He stayed after practice every time to work on his blocking assignments.
We all know what he can do catching the ball, but we won't see those fantasy match-ups with Cooley and Davis running routes on the field at the same time if he continues to block like a Pop-Warner player.
One more thing, I know Zorn and company sucked royally last year, so I'm not defending them. They preached all of last year about trying to get them on the field at the same time and didn't, it was just bad planning on their part. But don't think Fred Davis didn't earn some of that himself by laziness.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

M. WILLIAMS has the edge in experience, but off one game's play, not in talent. T. WILLIAMS will get beat and learn this game.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 17, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

FD has shown me little on the football field except the ability to deflect passes into d-backs hands, and a propensity to put the ball on the ground in critical situations. His blocking ain't great either. He needs to ramp up his act three notches.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 17, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Player Rec Yds Yd/G Avg Long

S. Moss 6 77 77.0 12.83 17

F. Davis 0 0 0 0 0

It doesn't matter if it's coaching or FDavis himself. It's only one game, but Davis needs to be involved in this offense, as does DThomas. As I've said repeatedly about MK and these two, SHOW ME SOMETHING, ANYTHING !

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:11 AM

I knew I should have drafted him...and 48 TDs on top of that...great.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

don't forget that he giggled too...ufb..

hess, you should try to imcoroporate some type of logic into what you say...

FD drops passes in preseason bad
SM drops passes in regular season ok

They didn't throw FD one pass last game..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I trust Shanny to put in the players that have the best chance to help us win. If FD and DT don't see the field, there is probably a reason. I am no coach but they must be seeing something in practice during the week that makes them not want to play them. I doubt he is doing it to prove a point or teach them a lesson.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 17, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

If the 'Skins are still in playoff contention coming out of their bye-week, then Trent Williams should be considered for Rookie of the Year.

Mario Williams is just one of the excellent pass-rushers our rookie LT has to face in a brutal schedule. All three NFC East opponents have great players to throw at him twice this season.

Williams, van den Bosch and Peppers also spring to mind as threats in 2010 and that's before you even think of the Titans and Vikings edge players!

If Washington make the playoffs this year, or even finish 8-8, then a huge amount of credit goes to the Silverback.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 17, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 9:24 AM |

fla, I'm to layed back to freak out, probably too old. Never, ever, did I say McNabb sucks. He is a great QB. He, like any QB has tendencies, that's all. His is dirt balls and not that great at running the 2 min offense.

Now bean, he's the one that freaks out.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 17, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

???

If by FD you mean Fred Davis, then I'm assuming your observations are NOT based on the 10 starts he had last season where he caught about 40 balls for 450 yards 6TDs and 0 fumbles.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

DANGIT p1...you and your STINKING FACTS!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

They didn't throw FD one pass last game..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:36 AM |

Why not greg?

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I doubt he is doing it to prove a point or teach them a lesson.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 17, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

See: Albert Haynesworth

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Why not greg?

um...I'm sure you've got the answer there hess, so why don't you tell me....

Its probably because he didn't catch that pass in preseason right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2010 9:39 AM |

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Red said FD got called for a penalty and then taken out. I'm not recalling his penalty. What was it for?

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Anybody read this slop from Whitlock. I mean we were 4-12 last year and could have won a few more games in spite of complete incompetence and a terrible o-line. I don't know why I even subject myself to reading these articles but figured I would pass along to annoy other Skin fans.
------------------------------------

7. No team looked worse in victory than the Washington Redskins.

Wade Phillips’ Dallas DumBoys handed Mike Shanahan a season-opening victory. In a low-scoring, defensive affair, the DumBoys abandoned their running game for no reason. Marion Barber and Felix Jones split 16 carries and averaged a shade below 5 yards a tote. For some reason, overrated offensive coordinator Jason Garrett instructed Tony Romo to throw the ball 47 times. That’s the only reason the Redskins held Dallas to 7 points.

Washington’s defense was mediocre. The ‘Skins sacked Romo one time. They never mounted consistent pressure.

On offense, Donovan McNabb has two options: Santana Moss and Chris Cooley. Clinton Portis is washed up. Joey Galloway was washed up four years ago. The ‘Skins are counting on some 27-year-old first-year receiver, Anthony Armstrong.

It’s a bad team. The Redskins will finish closer to 1-16 than 8-8.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 17, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Amen brotha, but let's face it, he can't even get some recognition for Rookie of the Week let alone for the year. That stuff's for the skill positions and players that rack up stats. Last I checked there's not too many stats for a LT.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Baseball Post---Bewar:

Final AL EAST Update:

Tampa Bay 88 57
New York 88 58
Boston 82 64
Toronto 73 73
Baltimore 58 88

The O's will take 3 out of 4 games this weekend form the Yanks.

The Sawks will have playoff life because
of this.

The Rays are the best team in baseball and will bet the Phillies in a rematch.

The Tampa Rays will win the World Series, dismantle the team, get a new stadium, and morph into the Florida Marlins.

Somebody should explain to the Blue Jays that a lot of home runs without wins is pathetic production in the wrong area.

And, finally, you have to winder why B Showalter went so long with a managing job.

Look out for the O's in 2011.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Holding penalty that backed us up from the goal line.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe now the retards that were dissing the 'Skins for taking Silverback over Brokung can drink a nice cup of shut-the-f*ck-up. Brokung is going to be a good player but the 'Skins made the right pick for their need relative to the zone blocking that calls for a more athletic OT. That play v. the Cowchokes where Silverback remained engaged and drove his man into the 2nd row was textbook and almost all about attitude.

THATS'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!

Now, I will temper my enthusiasm by understanding that he is going to hit some bumps in the road. The dude is a rook after all. But, taking that into account, he owned Ware all by himself for about 95% of the opener.

I am of the belief that if I had a top 10 pick in the draft, I would NEVER take anyone but a "sure thing QB" or an OT. You just get your money's worth more often than not.

The O-Line NEEDS to be one of the team's strengths this year for us to be successful. Regardless of the potential on offense, it's clear this team's identity is going to be defense.

I'm cool with that.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Dallas DumBoys? wow...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I usually like Whitlock....but what?! By definition that means the Skins win only 3 more games this season? He doesn't seem to give any weight to the fact that he was watching Game 1 for a team with new EVERYTHING. He doesn't think either unit will improve?! C'mon Jason.

He is right about Garrett though. I hope that guy in in Dallas for a long career.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 17, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Dallas DumBoys? wow...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Not very original, but I like it!!!
Even if they were dissin us while dissin them.....

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The Skins are built to "win now" with Veteran Pro Bowl Caliber QB and veteran RB's and an "average O line". The tight end position is built to win now.

The defense is certainly built to "win now". We will waste the defense (Again) and the other complimentary offensive players if we don't make a move for Vincent Jackson and/or Plaxico Burress when he is released from Prison.

Give McNabb and Kyle the weapons they need to take us to the play-offs. After years of overspending and creating cap problems to get below average players, the Skins finally have a chance in an uncapped year to get a good youngish player on the outside, a true number 1 WR, a red zone threat, they have to pull out the stops to get him. I would be happy trading Haynesworth to TN to get a 3rd to package with a second of our own to send to San Diego for Jackson.

The Raven's got Bolden and Housh, the Jets got Santonio Holmes, Boyz draft Bryant, Giants have Nicks, Eagles have Maclin and DeSean Jackson; the Skins must upgrade!

Posted by: DownTownClown | September 17, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"My comments are about THIS year, the one that counts. How many of those catches LAST YEAR were made after the game was over by halftime ? Remember, the Skins were 4-12 and last years stats don't mean squat this year.

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse"

What a revelation.

By this logic, Andre Carter can't rush the passer, Lorenzo Alexander is an awful player, Donovan McNabb is a bust for this team (as is Adam Carriker), Clinton Portis again shows that he's too old to play as a feature back, Anthony Armstrong was a preseason flash-in-the-pan, and Kyle Shanahan is worse than Jim Zorn as an offensive coordinator.

Any other brilliant analyses we can come up with one game in to the 2010 season where nothing that has happened in previous years matters?

Posted by: psps23 | September 17, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 9:20 AM
-----------------------------------
was FD targeted for any passes last week?...i don't remember seeing any go his way...if they didn't try to get him the ball then the Shanny's need to step thier game up a notch....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I love Whitlock, he's there to be controversial, but we'll prove him wrong by the bye-week.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why not greg?

um...I'm sure you've got the answer there hess, so why don't you tell me....

Its probably because he didn't catch that pass in preseason right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:47 AM |

greg, why do you disagree with every post I put on the board ? You obviously still have a grudge with me and my snyder boycott thing, which I had alot of fun with, but gave it up due to the response from posters. Now, just because someone criticizes a Redskin player doesn't mean they don't like that player or that player is not good. FD, THIS YEAR, INCLUDING PRESEASON, has a lot to be desired and the team needs to get him the going. What does that have to do with any other player on this team ?

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Why not greg?

um...I'm sure you've got the answer there hess, so why don't you tell me....

Its probably because he didn't catch that pass in preseason right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 9:47 AM |

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

because most if not all of them are lacking in logic, as well as reason....

other than that, you're good...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

beeps to cooley

Posted by: hessone | September 17, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 17, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Holding penalty that backed us up from the goal line.

Posted by: monk811

That be the one. Can't recall seeing him again the rest of the night.

I think Fred Davis has all the talent in the world but it seems he lacks focus and that keeps him off the field.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Dallas DumBoys? wow...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Not very original, but I like it!!!
Even if they were dissin us while dissin them.....

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 10:01 AM

A double diss? haha...can we even finish 1-16?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the range we have as the week goes on. We go from raving about our win to panic over end zone offense in the span of 4 days. Week one, year one of a new regime people, relax! Parcells and Belicheck took at least 2 years before significant change. Relax and ENJOY the process and development. It will make the end result more tasty! This team is still at least 5 good players away from championship quality.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 17, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The Texans lost their defensive end, Connor Barwin last week. Cushing, their stud OLB is under suspension. I am thinking there are some holes in this front seven that can be exploited. I'd go at them hard with the two tight end set. The Redskins should be able to run, run, and run some more. The offense should be a known commodity. CR has done well with big receivers in the past so lock him up with AJ in man and put eight guys in the box to stop the run. I'd run blitz like crazy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 17, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Let's talk about how their LT will have trouble facing Orakpo. Ware made one play. How many plays did Trent Williams protect well? I have always wondered why one sack makes a great game for a DE and a bad game for a LT? Trent Williams probably still graded out at 99% which is great.

Posted by: tramellcanady | September 18, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse